Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #1  

Default Sleep Test done......

Hello all,
Well I've passed another hurdle in preperation for WLS. I met with the sleep dr. on tuesday and found him to be very nice !! Then Wednsday night I spent the night at the hospital having the actual sleep study done. I do have sleep apena, which I was pretty sure going into this I did. So now I have to get a machine and be on it 6 weeks before I can have surgery. Again I feel like i am doing the two step forwards one step back dance. BUT atleast I am getting everything taken care of. It's just had I known about the 6 week wait was gonna happen.... I would have got going with that test alot sooner. We sure do learn lot during our WAIT !! Alteast I know the longer part of the wait is behind me !!!
My insurance hasn't approved me yet... but there was a mixup there. A month went by before they called and said they needed a copy of my insurance card...... WHICH they had taken a copy when i had my first meeting with the surgeon ! Needless to say that was another 2 step back days !!
So now i am just keeping the FAITH and keeping the longterm vision in my mind !! My day will come !!
Hope this finds you each heading in the right direction !!
Cindy
Old 05-16-2003, 05:13 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

i've been tryiing to answer this post for several hours now. let's hope i can manage it now!!!

about the CPAP/BiPAP. yes, it takes a little getting used to, and if the face mask isn't comfortable get another one!!!

and the 6-week wait is to make sure the apnea is controlled and the damage is repaired. trust me, there's been some respiratory damage. reversible, but it'll take a little time.

and remember: once they put me on the machine, i lost 97 pounds in 4 months!!!!! before the surgery.

so, don't give up yet. you're doing fine
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #3  

Hi Jiffy....
You lost 97 pounds in 4 months BEFORE surgery???? Why or how do u think having the machine helped in the weight lose area???? That is wonderful.... and I am anxious to hear more !!
Cindy
Old 05-16-2003, 09:20 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

cindy... there's no guarantee that it'll work the same way for you, but it can't hurt! here's what happened. they discovered the sleep apnea while i was in the hospital for respiratory insufficiency.

i asked several docs why i dropped so much weight so quickly - like 75 pounds in 10 weeks. some docs whined that i had changed my eating habits, and was moving more, but hey, i was walking a grand total of about 100 yards a day.. hardly enough to justify this astonishing weight loss.

the other docs, the smart ones, said that i finally had oxygen in my body and that i finally had a metabolism.

so, i'm not sure if i was a special case, but i'm so grateful that it happened!11
Closed Thread