Ideal Protein Diet - not a fan of my coach

View Full Version : not a fan of my coach

Danif
03-06-2013, 09:57 PM
So what do you do when you are not a fan of your coach?? She is kind of mean and makes me uncomfortable. I went to someone else, but they want me to go back to her. I need someone I can talk to and tell them things I am struggling with. I am losing weight, but it's 1 to 2 pounds a week and they are concerned because I should be losing more...is what they say. This is my second time doing this, I am following the plan. Do you lose slower the second time?

lisa32989
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
In a perfect world all coaches would know just the right thing to say. We certainly all deserve it! Losing weight is hard enough without having to deal with someone difficult. You are the customer. If you prefer one coach, remind them who is the paying customer and tell the you'll only be able to continue if you can choose your coach.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I see it over & over on this site. Luckily we all have each other so we can learn from each other and learn we don't have to "take it" when we feel like we are being mistreated.

As far as losing slower, this is my first time on IP, however there is known evidence that there is a "golden opportunity" on Atkins and people who re-try lose slower. It seems you can't trick your body twice. I'm wondering if that is why my losses are slower than some other folks. I doesn't matter tho, I'll still "get there"

Danif
03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
In a perfect world all coaches would know just the right thing to say. We certainly all deserve it! Losing weight is hard enough without having to deal with someone difficult. You are the customer. If you prefer one coach, remind them who is the paying customer and tell the you'll only be able to continue if you can choose your coach.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I see it over & over on this site. Luckily we all have each other so we can learn from each other and learn we don't have to "take it" when we feel like we are being mistreated.

As far as losing slower, this is my first time on IP, however there is known evidence that there is a "golden opportunity" on Atkins and people who re-try lose slower. It seems you can't trick your body twice. I'm wondering if that is why my losses are slower than some other folks. I doesn't matter tho, I'll still "get there"
Thanks!! I am still losing every week and I'm happy with that, now I am feeling all this pressure and once again not feeling "good enough". I really don't want to go back to this coach but will give it one more shot, if she is still mean I will switch centers...but I hate to do that since I spent so much money joining this one. Thanks for making me feel better. It is such a struggle, I just want someone who I can talk to...just doesn't seem too much to ask for. I should be a coach, I would be a great one!!!

NinjaNurse
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine as well as I have struggled with coaches who weren't very helpful. I will never understand how many of us have had bad experiences with coaches. I am an RN and if there were that many crabby, rude, clueless nurses out there, **** I wouldn't want to be a patient!!!

Ditto what Lisa said. It took me awhile to talk to my coach and I do like her, but it is no love fest. And since I started alternatives, I don't think I'll be seeing her much longer.

JenRem
03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Danif - sorry for your struggles with your coach. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems I've read about others on 3FC that were able to switch to a new clinic when the one they originally started with wasn't working out for them. So, maybe if you still aren't satisfied with your coach after giving her "one more try" you can call another local IP clinic. Explain to them your situation and see if they might work with you by allowing you to transfer. They will still make money off of your weekly purchases of IP food. Good Luck and try to follow your gut - you know what you need and you deserve to find a coach who is going to motivate and inspire you! Please, let us know how things turn out. :) Jen

loser444
03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Danif - I've worked with 4 different clinics and had varied experiences. One thing is for sure, if you don't have a supportive coach, it will be a struggle - It was for me anyway. I just restarted Ip and have lost 6 lbs in 4 days. So far this is similar to my other 1st week results but only time will tell if my loss is slower this time. I love my newest coach - very realistic and cost conscious which is unusual. Hang in there - stay focused......you got this!

leadedge
03-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Wow! Sorry you got a crappy coach!! I hadn't thought how tough that would be until now because the two ladies that look after me are amazing! They are always a 100% supportive and helpful and I never get any pressure to buy stuff or anything like that.

I will say that most of my knowledge and ideas come from 3FC. Being part of the "man thread" has definitely been a major plus in keeping me OP!!

workingit50
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I too have a "bland" coach who I am not connecting with and I think it would be too awkward to say something. This clinic is the only one around so I will use this board as my motivator but it seems unfortunate to not have that happy dance with me and a good cheerleader every week. Boards like this have been really important to my weight loss successes in the past.

heritagesoftail
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
I dont have a coach at all and wish I did. The place I go to you just weight and buy food thats it. I have learnt everything I know from all of you :)

I do feel if 3FC was not on line I probably would have never started this IP diet . So a BIG Thank you to you all :hug:

MustangMolly
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
When I first started IP was not happy at all with my coach. I had started in October and told him that I would be taking a trip to Jamaica in December and wanted to know what I could do on my trip his reply was "you stay here, I'll go to Jamiaca" and then he laughed and never addressed my concerns. After my initial visit the only time I saw the coach was if he happened to be passing by as I bought my food. He had this ridiculous bell that he wanted clients to ring when they had a loss, I suspect that was so he knew he had an IP customer in and would make an appearance after the receptionist did the weighing and measuring and taking my money. If it wasn't for 3FC I wouldn't have learned anything. I even shared info like recipes from 3FC with him and now I hear he charges new clients for the recipes!

WorldTraveleronIP
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Hi Danif,
I am losing slower on IP this time around. I had read about the "golden opportunity" back in 2010 when I first was on IP and I'm now wondering if this is what is happening. However, I am determined, still on program and moving along.

I have stopped weighing so much -only once a week now- (I am coachless but I come here regularly for support and help) and focus on the choices I am making this time around and how I am handling the emotional eating urges (making better choices, like throwing in a meditation/light yoga dvd, drinking lots of cold water, coming to the forum here) and I think that is far more important for life than a rapid, regular loss.

I will get there and when I do get there, I won't go back. There is so much more involved in this than just weight loss. I know this has been discussed before, but it is worth mentioning again as most people focus on numbers going down. We got here for reasons that also need to be addressed and resolved or we will just go right back up after the program ends.

If you feel comfortable doing it-I would leave the clinic. Order a good scale off Amazon, your food online and come here daily for coaching. No more coach nonsense and you will save money.

sarellpol
03-08-2013, 09:46 AM
So sorry for your struggles. Have you tried talking to whoever is in charge of the center? You need to be comfortable with your coach and your coach needs to support you.

This week was the first time I had a horrible experience with a coach, and it was because my appointment got changed due to the snow. I've never weighed in with this woman and she scrutinized my food journal and told me I am doing IP all wrong. I hardly lost anything this week because I have a cold, not because of food - it was a fairly typical week for me and I've lost almost 30 lbs in 10 weeks. I am not discrediting the center because of this experience. My usual coach is amazing and wonderfully supportive.

patns
03-08-2013, 10:48 PM
I even shared info like recipes from 3FC with him and now I hear he charges new clients for the recipes!

If that wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. How brazen of him!

Tailwinds
03-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Do you have the option to speak to the owner of the center? Maybe they don't know about problems with this coach. Any good business owner would want the opportunity to keep you and certainly to address issues with a coach who is driving customers away.

Since I will likely move and possibly out of the area before finishing the program, when I started (early Feb.) I asked what would happen if I moved before finishing the program. She said that the centers have an agreement to accept transfers. I didn't ask any more questions, but I interpreted that to mean that I would not have to pay another initial consult fee. (My center charges $100 for the first session. I didn't feel I got value for that fee but they don't charge weekly and you can call between coaching sessions with questions.)

From what I am reading in this and other threads a couple weeks ago, I have the impression that different centers charge differently. Is that right? Are any of you paying weekly fees for weigh-ins and coaching?

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 11:25 PM
From what I am reading in this and other threads a couple weeks ago, I have the impression that different centers charge differently. Is that right? Are any of you paying weekly fees for weigh-ins and coaching?

This is very true.

The thing to remember is that Ideal Protein clinics are NOT employees of IP - they are franchise owners. They basically sign contracts to get the right to sell the program, the rest they can determine for themselves.

I have seen people post that they are charged for weigh ins, for "extra" measurements like the body composition scale....the clinic I started in did not charge for anything other than the initial consultation and the food.

Regarding transferring - I would be shocked if your clinic TRULY had an agreement in place with other clinics. Maybe with other local clinics, but because the clinics are independently owned and operated it would be difficult for one clinic to set up transfer arrangements with all clinics outside their area. However if you know where you are moving to, it would probably be helpful to call the IP clinics in the area and find out who would be willing to take you on without charging another initial fee.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Maybe I got it wrong, but my interpretation was that the transfer agreement was something that IP itself mandated of its franchisees and that anyone could transfer from any clinic to any clinic.

When you think about it, why not take a transfer without a fee. The person transferring is already sold on and understands the program so it's just a little paper work. The food is so outrageously priced that they probably shouldn't be charging for anything else, anyway. If my clinic had additional fees, I don't think I would be doing this.

leannekarella
03-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I dont have a coach at all and wish I did. The place I go to you just weight and buy food thats it. I have learnt everything I know from all of you :)

I do feel if 3FC was not on line I probably would have never started this IP diet . So a BIG Thank you to you all :hug:

I think the biggest difference is that in Canada, the regulations are so less strict than they are in the USA that literally anyone can sell IP. My coaches, for example, are a car salesman and his flight attendant wife. The only experience they have is that they both did the diet and took whatever class is necessary to sell the diet. And yes, I say "sell" the diet, because that's what they do. I have been told time and again to "follow" the plan, when I have lots of other health issues that must be taken into account. I found all my "real" info online and here on 3FC. I wouldn't have lasted a month by "following" the plan as they wanted me to.

beepure
03-10-2013, 01:05 AM
I have heard someone on here call their coach "cashier". I have a "cashier" unfortunately she is tied to my endocrinologist's office. I have learned so much and been so inspired by the people here, who needs the "cashier" to be a coach...apparently it is not in her skill set.

Thank you all for your inspiration and support.

Tailwinds
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Have you asked her for support or information and she isn't willing/able to give it? Or are you waiting for her to offer it and she hasn't?

You might want to talk to your endocrinologist. It is possible that he has not sent her to training (I'm guessing there is a cost for that) or that he has and he thinks she is coaching when she isn't.

You might also want to let him know about this forum on this board so he can send other patients to it.

Donna Gel
03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I am blessed with a truly amazing coach. She is encouraging and knowledgeable. I am also learning so much from 3FC.

heritagesoftail is that a legit clinic? They are supposed to have a coach.

ETA: my understanding is also that they need to be affiliated with a medical clinic. Health regulations are very strict here in Canada and I would question if they are even legit.

ddbbmom
03-12-2013, 04:50 AM
I'm hearing a lot of complaints about coaches and would LOVE to hear what your coaches do right? ;) I am a coach who enjoys coaching and would love to hear what you think makes a good coach. THANKS! BTW-in regards to the question about training: I have been through the program myself and had training in IP, but we have a Dr. in our clinic to consult with when needed.

ginettepv
03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I am blessed with a truly amazing coach. She is encouraging and knowledgeable. I am also learning so much from 3FC.

ETA: my understanding is also that they need to be affiliated with a medical clinic. Health regulations are very strict here in Canada and I would question if they are even legit.

I know of two clinics here that are not associated with a medical clinic. I pay 5$ more a box to go to the clinic associated with a naturopath. It becomes much more expensive, but because of my hormonal issues, I do not feel confortable going to clinics with no medical backgrounds.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
This phenomenon has been discussed by Phinney and Volek (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable). They are proponents of Atkins, but the ketosis principle is the same.

Thanks; I ordered the book yesterday and am looking forward to reading it :)

evepet
03-13-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm in Ontario, Canada, and I'm sure the clinic where I started is not affiliated with a medical clinic. There was certainly no evidence of that. It is housed in a fitness/gym establishment. The owner had done IP and was impressed with her personal success and decided to open a clinic. My coach had also done the program, and lost about 30 lbs - she was currently in maintenance. I left after the first week, when I realized that I could do it independently and use this forum as my 'coach'.

IP43
03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
FYI I am definitely losing at a way slower rate the second time around, and having a much harder time staying OP and focussed, but that could just be me. As long as you're still losing, be happy. 1-2 lbs a week is great as it's going the right direction. Celebrate that. Decide what you need. Some coaches "fire" you if you don't meet their standards but most places want your money and will want you to stay. If nothing else, and it's a place to get your food, just go there for that.
I've started weighing in every 2nd week as I have a stash of food at home. My coach hasn't ever said anything about that. They make enough off you that you should be able to say who you want as a coach and why. Perhaps she/he doesn't know his behaviour is turning people off.