Exercise! - Don't MARCH, Run!!!! [March running blog sorry for the lame title!]

lm3898
03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi all!! Sorry once again for the delay - I was in Phoenix running a half marathon followed by an awesome vacation in Sedona until I got strept throat...just wanted to jump on and get the blog going and I'll be sure to fill everyone in on my awesommmmmmmmmmmmme half later tonight.

devadiva
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
IM 38 thanks for starting thread can't wait to here about your 1/2!! So sorry to hear about the strep yuck! I am living vicarious through all of you....Thank You

Novus
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
It's finally going to be 50ish degrees on Sunday so I'm going for a run! :running: In 2010, I did Couch to 5K and ran a couple 5Ks, but for a variety of (lame) reasons I quit running.

I'm so excited to start again! And my SIL and my BFF are joining me....awesomeness. We - and my running buddies from 2010 - are planning to do the Color Run in June.

Underwater
03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Today I walk/jogged 5K on the treadmill. My furthest distance ever. Last time I noticed I stopped at 2.4 miles and I was like "hey, if I can do 2.4, I can do 3.1" so today I just kept going. Made it in 48 mins. Slow, but I made it!

Kitcherella
03-09-2013, 02:37 AM
You reminded me of the joke - Can February march? No, but April may!

Have fun running!

Tabbycat
03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Tabbycat here.

I'm in the March Exercise Challenge (Chicks Up for Challenge board) to run 30 miles. It's a modest goal, but I'm 57 and just took up running last spring. I have two neighborhood routes mapped out... a two-mile and a three-mile. I have orchestra practices three times a week and I teach school, so I don't run every day.

Today I did a 5K fun run. My goal was to trot the whole thing without walking and to finish in under 38 minutes. My chip time was 37:44. That's not quite as good as the 5K I did in January, but better than the ones in October and December. :)

devadiva
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Tabby at Welcome I am almost 61 and normally run several times a week 3 to 6 miles each time. But have had a recuperating dog for 5 weeks he has about 5 weeks left we have to be with him all the time. Soooo please log in I am living through you all
Meanwhile I am doing lots of cardio and weights:)

free1
03-09-2013, 06:43 PM
13.12 miles on an indoor track....I know it was indoor but I still think it counts....Half marathon is on 4/20...I get to go back to outdoors running this week :) :) :)

Nikel1979
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I haven't run since my half marathon on the 24th. I'm gonna head out for an easy run tomorrow. I'm scared. :?:

CherryPie99
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Nikel - How did your run go?

Freerun - OF COURSE it counts! How did you not get bored out of your skull though??

I ran 13.11 this morning in a time of 1:48:24. I guess I should sign up for a 1/2 and challenge myself!

Jen

Novus
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
I freakin' LOVE running! :D

Went out for the first run of the season...and my first run since 2010!...today. I was "only" able to do a quarter mile at a stretch and then had to walk for a bit. BUT my first run doing Couch to 5K back in 2010 I wasn't even able to run for 60 seconds...and I couldn't complete the 20 minute workout. I'm thrilled that I haven't regressed as dreadfully as I feared I had. I can't wait to see how quickly I can get back up to being able to do 3 miles.

Nikel1979
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Well so much for getting a run in today. I woke up to the sounds of a puking kiddo. :( We're already dealing with strep & pneumonia. :( Looks like tomorrow wil be back to the Dr, so Tues will be the day for my first post half run.

lm3898
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone!! Back to the land of the living!! I had my BEST half yet in Az last Saturday - it started out perf temps and still darkish 6:30 a.m. 58 degrees. Was about 70ish when I finished but that was nothing [poor hubby did his first full marathon and when he finished it was nearly 85 people were passing out at the finish]. I beat my former personal best by EIGHT minutes!! 1 hr 56 min!! I had REALLY wanted to beat 2 hrs so I was SO SO happy - it was an easy, mostly level/downhill course so they said it would be a good PR course but still - woohoo!!! Then of course two days later I got strept and have been out of commission. Did my first run since yesterday - easy 5.25 miles went so/so my lungs are not 100% but I'm glad I got out there.

How is everybody doing?? Welcome newbies!

Pink Hurricane
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I ran two miles Saturday afternoon. Today my hubby and I are planning on doing another run so I shall log it afterward!

Goddess Jessica
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM
I did my half marathon yesterday and I finished under 3 hours! Wheeeee!

My pace was around 13:17/mile which is great for me. And I only felt like my body was broken around mile 12. And man, I was SORE last night. A lot less sore this morning but overall, just fantastic! YAY!

lm3898
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Congrats Jessica!!! Woohoo!

lm3898
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Seven HILLY miles last night - I was only planning about five but I ran to the top of a huge hill and was ALMOST at the bottom and there were five totally sketchy dudes just hanging out & the area was mostly deserted...I decided to just turn around and go BACK UP the hill and take the long way home - better safe than sorry!!

devadiva
03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Finally something to log ran 3.6 yesterday and 5 miles today! The dog is doing better everyday! He can walk 10 min a day!!!But still can not be left alone and due to our schedules that only leaves weekends for running for a few more weeks but I have been doing lots of cross training,weights kickboxing and some boot camps.And have lost 21 lbs since 1st of the year so feel great.

om namah shivaya
03-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, Im about to go for my first run of the season. I'm in Minnesota, so it's hard to do outdoor running through the winter (don't want to fall!). I get so darn bored on treadmills! Wish me luck, I may try and get 3-4 miles in. We'll see how much I feel like I'm dying ;) I envy all you who run miles a day! I want to get back to that! Last time I did that was this fall.... grrrrrrr snow! :)

Nikel1979
03-17-2013, 06:28 PM
First post half-marathon run is done. :) It felt great. I'm going to pull back a bit in my distances and spend some time working on speed and doing a lot of races. There are a zillion 5ks in the spring, and I've got to get past whatever mental issue I have with races. They are always worse than my training runs. I need to get the mental part of running under better control before I start marathon training in a few months.

om namah shivaya
03-17-2013, 07:46 PM
That sounds awesome!! Racing is always harder for me too! I can't imagine doing a race!
Today I did a 3 mile run! Woohoo! Not bad for the first outdoors for the season. And I felt like I could have kept going, but I reached my goal (walmart ;)) so I stopped there. Next goal is 5 miles! Happy running!

AlmostMe
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Hello runners!!

I don't post much here. But would like your advice.

I am a very slow runner. Which I'm working on. I need to work on endurance (not soooo bad...) and sprinting. I want to run a 10K this summer and I don't want to be there all day.

Here comes the tricky bit. I am injured. A very large girl stepped on my foot while wearing studs / cleats at rugby training - I got stepped on again. It was bad enough that the physio sent me for an Xray. I can't walk without pain (minor)...and I am now afraid to run until it heals as I'm 'saving myself' for rugby. I do run at rugby training and in matches on grass. I have been going to spin classes instead of running - and I exercise daily - swimming, lifting, rugby, spin, bikram yoga and I even did a boxercise class this weekend.

How much is not running going to hurt me? And how easy is it to get back to running after not running for a while. I'd love to go straight back into running 50 minutes at a stretch. But I think it may be another couple of weeks before I feel good about running again - which would mean a month off in total.

lm3898
03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I managed five miles during the falling snow on Saturday which was nice to run in. Still feeling the effects I think from strept throat last week as the last mile had me struggling. Next half marathon is this Saturday - I think since I just got my best PR ever two weeks ago of 1:56 finally getting under 2 hrs, I might try to take this half a bit more easy - I'm doing it w/ my cousin who is slower so I might just stay with her instead of killing myself for the whole two hours and think of it more as a workout than race, I'm just a bit burnt out. Hubby thinks I'll get too competitive though once I start lol.

Almost: I think it's more important that you let your injury heal than anything else. If you make it worse, it could get to the point where you are sidelined even longer....
Throughout my life I have stopped and picked back up running - if you take a month off you will not be able to start again running for 50 minutes at a time but if you give it some time and work back up to it, you can easily get to where you were and surpass it.

Welcome on nemah!! Good work getting outside in winter, it's not easy!!

CherryPie99
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi all!

Did another 13.13 on Sunday - 1:48:09 - but BOY am I SORE today! I think it's because it snowed like **** on Friday so I couldn't go out and run, so I ran stairs for 45 minutes and my calves were still hurting from that.

But I'm pretty happy with my mileage and times.

Deva - So glad to hear about your boy! He had me (and I'm sure you) worried! And congrats on the amazing weight loss!

Almost - I agree with lm that you need to heal. I was off last year for 4 weeks recovering from abdominal surgery where I couldn't do ANY exercise except slow walking. I was shocked at how fast my cardio came back! Since you are still exercising, I don't imagine you'll get set back too much, although I wouldn't plan on running 45 minutes your first day back!!

Jen

lm3898
03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Cherry I cannot believe how fast you are - that is simply amazing...congrats on the piercing too!! That is so bada$$!

Deva - what's wrong with the pup exactly? Sorry I couldn't find where you posted before. I am a huge dog lover - hope he continues to get better & welcome back.

AlmostMe
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks y'all. I'm definitely watching my foot...except for rugby... yeah, that's right. I'm crazy. I miss the running though. But I'm not going to do it until I'm sure my foot is better.

Even if I don't run until - say May - I'd still have 2.5 months to train for the 10K. And, of course, I'm planning to keep on exercising.

devadiva
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Im3898: my boy Ebbetts had knee replacement on his rear leg, the 5 th of Feb. and was down a week before that..when he blew it out.he is a large Great Prynees 155lbs. He had to have 24 hr care,someone with him at all times we have been all staying in our living room ever since,this last week he is now able to walk on it ONLY 5 min twice aday. That is why I have not been running....only when my husband could take care of him( my husband works 13 hrs aday sometimes more) and due to him to watch dog on my work days...he has been working splits and 1 day off.....we love our baby!

CherryPie99
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Today I had a guilt run!

I normally run at noonish - my lunch hour. Today we had a huge party for people that have graduated from my program over the last 6 months. I avoided the pizza and ate the soup I brought, but then broke down and did the unthinkable - I ate cake!!!

Afterwards I went out for a run and ran 6.30 miles at a pace of 7:46 mm. I guess guilt is good for my speed - but not my weight!

lm3898
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
OH man Deva that's a lot to deal with!! Glad you and Ebbetts are getting back on your feet! I have two babies/doggies so I totally get where you are at.

Congrats Cherry - you have no idea how much you motivate - me - I would have given myself a pass that day. I also seriously cannot believe how fast you are - it's incredible.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Rest today for me, birthday half tomorrow xo! Going to start this next year off right!

devadiva
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Ran 5 miles this am felt great Ebbetts is getting better soon I can get out more.

devadiva
03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Got a 10 k in this morn was nice to get out been doing chores...

lm3898
03-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Half Marathon this past Sunday - my third this year...terrible final time for me 2 hrs, 6 min - 10 min worst than 3 weeks ago but it was NOT easy. My foot was still KILLING me and I think I have some lingering sickness still as my body was just NOT feeling good, chest hurt, legs hurt - my hands started clenching! I officially need a break. No runs longer than a 10k for the next month for me. Gotta get back on track here but I'm glad I finished the race.

CherryPie99
03-26-2013, 02:56 PM
LM - Sounds like your body is definitely telling you that you need a break!!

I did a 6 mile run at lunch and decided to give it a shot without my IT Band Strap and..... NO PAIN!!! Woo hoo!

Jen

lm3898
03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Cherry - I bought the IT band strap for my hubby as he suffers from IT band issues as well - he currently just uses the foam roller. I hope it helps him!

Ran 5 miles over the hilly 59th Street bridge & back near my office this week. Good run but windy!

How is everyone? Deva - any pup updates?

gatorgirl6
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Is this a usual monthly thread? I just started getting more serious about running and I would love to have some others to talk to. When I was in High School (8 yrs ago), I was pretty good at running. I was on the lacrosse team and I had to run an 8 min mile to make the team each year. Since then, I got out of shape and haven't been able to run very well. When I decided I wanted to get back in shape I started playing college level rugby and that did a lot for me... until I broke my ankle. It was a serious break that still bothers me. I have been getting back in shape and now that I weigh less and am more fit, I find that I can run better than I had expected. Until recently, the furthest I had run straight since I broke my ankle was 3/4 mi. I have been going on little jogs recently - short sprints followed by walking intervals. On Monday, I slowed down a lot and found that I ran A LOT further. I made it 2 mi without walking (not including a warm up and cool down). Yesterday I ran 2.25 mi. I am getting excited about running. I want to get better. The Princess Half Marathon has always been on my bucket list. Maybe I will be able to do it next year.

I'd love some friend to share my running victories with and ask questions.

devadiva
03-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi guys sure miss running this running only on weekend sucks BUT upside been doing 11/2 hrs aday of asst DVDs weights abs couple days and kickboxing or hit and abs the other...results have a rockin body have lost 24 lbs sinced Dec.27 Hoo ha!!!!
As for my BOY he has sprained his front leg,he had been released for 5 to 10 min walks. Aday after just a couple he started limping on the front leg!!!!!So he is now on an anti inflamatory and rest except for potty again. And he has gained like 8 lbs! So now he is on a diet,we were having to spoon feed him anything would could to get all the pills down 3 times aday Yikes!
IA3898:sounds like a good plan on doing only 10ks and recuperating...I have a friend that is coach and 50 k type runner..she mentioned once about her body clenching up in the run hands legs has something to do with de-hydration.

Cherry as always you are a rockstar at the running,not to mention everything else.

Any one out there Cherry writes a fantastic blog check it out!

Gator girl: welcome ,slow and easy speed will come back! Pace it take it easy on the ankle so you get it strong. Life is not a race you have time.....I am 60 and started running 1 1/2 yrs ago and ran A1/2 on Halloween this last year.YOU will do it!

gatorgirl6
03-29-2013, 07:45 PM
I have been running every other day for a little while now and frequently think at the end of my run "did I push myself enough? I probably could have run further." Today I decided I would test that theory and tried for what I thought was impossible - run a whole 5k. I did it. It took 40 min. I know there were times I could probably walk faster than I was running, but I did it. I had to keep reminding myself that my mind will give out before my legs do and to push through the doubt because by legs weren't burning. The last 3/4 to 1/2 mi were tough but I am so proud. I don't have questions today that I pushed myself. I won't aim to push myself as hard all the time, but at least once a week to see what I am capable of. I am proud today. And for possibly the first time in my life I am thinking that I may be a runner. I will never be fast and I don't care to be, but this feeling is good.

om namah shivaya
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I only got in 2 miles today, but yesterday did just under 6 miles! Woo!
I have a question though... I'm not a 'trained' runner, but I know what a good stride looks like. Im keeping my chest up and using my arms properly... but.... my hips hurt from the impact. It's getting better actually as I continue to run more often, so I was thinking it might just be that whatever muscles support that area were not used to it? Still, I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have good running shoes (original price 100$, I paid 30--woohoo!), and I've been trying to experiment around with tiny adjustments... Nothing seems to help. It actually happens when I walk as well-- I start feeling it around mile 5 at a normal pace (not power walking or anything....) So yes. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Happy running!

CherryPie99
03-30-2013, 10:08 AM
It sounds like you might be a heel striker! Where does you foot hit?

om namah shivaya
04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
No, not a heel striker. I thoguht about it and asked my boyfriend (he's super athletic) and he said that I should lean forward a little more than I was. I've been trying to institute this and I think ti's taken some impact pressure off my hips, but I find myself forgetting then remembering, forgetting, remembering....

I ran 6.65 miles yesterday (my furthest that I know of!!) and I was totally pooped out. Today is going to be a lighter day. Do you all find that you gain a lb or two after a big long run? I was 149 yesterday and am 151 today. I'm not freaking out because I know I've been sticking to the eating plan and exercising as much if not MORE than I plan, but still..... :( Is the water weight thing right? Or is it just BS? Thanks!
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-hedge/lb/167/120/151/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)