Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #1  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

Default weight watchers or calorie counting???

5 years ago I lost 70 lbs and have kept it off since then. I've been struggling with the last 40 ever since!

Last year, I got down to 135 by counting calories and running. However, due to job stress and laziness i've gone back up to 155.

I've also switched between calorie counting and weight watchers online.

With calorie counting, the pros are that in the past i have lost weight, but the cons are that I trick myself and have also gained weight while "calorie counting"

With weight watchers, the pros are that i maintain my weight and also eat healthier (i.e. actually eating fruit, which is something I do not do with calorie counting. the cons are the cost and the fact that I have never significantly lost any weight with weight watchers, but to be honest, i will only try it for about 6 weeks before switching back over.

Which one do you guys think is more sustainable and more effective?
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #2  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Well, I have so far lost 105 lbs on Weight Watchers in a little over a year, so I'm a big supporter of their program. For me, I liked that it streamlined the whole process for me. I think that I would have been overwhelmed if I had tried to count calories on my own.

Also, like you said, I like that I can eat fruits and vegetables without adding anything to my points. I feel like I'm getting to eat free food. I know that's not really true, of course, but it does feel good to know that I can always have something to eat, even when I'm at my limit of points.
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I've lost 80 pounds with weight watchers before. I've lost 15 currently on points plus. I love weight watchers. I feel like i get more encouragement to eat fruits and vegetables. The key to maintenance is to remember what you did to lose the weight is what you'll have to do. The last two days i've counted calories and ww points. I'm averaging 1700 cals at 39 pts. I love the weekly points which really encourages me to not freak when things pop up and gives me a nice treat occasionally.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I calorie count because it's free :-)
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #5  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I love Weight Watchers. I've lost about 70lbs with WW and find that when I do WW I eat a much more balanced diet and I don't get as caught up in numbers.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I do calorie counting. I'm down 134. Its free and precise which works great for my mindset.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

I'm confused as to why you don't eat fruit if you count calories?? I have counted calories & have lost 74lbs & eat tons of fruit & veggies.

You'll get a mixed bag here about WW vs CC. I calorie count because it's easy & free. There are a million apps & tools out there for you to use for free that aid you in counting & making good food choices. WW is great - I tried it, but it wasn't for me. I didn't gain anything by weighing in public & I didn't really love the meetings, but some people do. Lots of people need that support.

Bottom line is you have to do what works best for you. If you do choose to go to the CC route, you have the power to decide what to eat. You can choose fruit instead of whatever else. You can make healthy choices that will benefit your body, not that will just make you drop weight.
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote