Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default I jumped my mental block!

So I've been run/walking since the first of the year. I'm up to five miles four times a week and my time keeps improving.

But I haven't been able to run more than a quarter mile without walking. My husband and my brother and our girls have all been super supportive and they've been sure that it was my head rather than my legs or my lungs that were stopping me.

And today I guess I proved them right. I ran half a mile! And I didn't die! And then I did it again!

So Thursday the goal is to run a mile without stopping. Before I build another damn block that I have to jump!

I'm a runner, chicks!!!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #2  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Great job that is definitely an accomplishment! A lot of running is certainly mind over matter, of course assuming your body is not in major pain. One thing that helps me run longer without stopping is to pace myself, slowly but surely I am getting a little faster!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #3  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Woohoo!

Damn mental blocks! I'm not a runner myself, but I plateau'd at 200ish for a month just there... I've been doing Intuitive Eating which was going great, I was losing weight at a brilliant rate, then just kind of... stopped. I was stress eating and put myself on calorie restriction to force myself to continue IE without the stress-eating bolt-on. And, it's working. I realise I'd been sabotaging myself and blaming it on stress, but to be honest, I'm just scared of being thin again.

Why are our minds insistent on us getting in the way of ourselves?! Argh!

Happy running
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #4  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Congratulations! I can't wait to be able to run half a mile nonstop (or a full mile). Great accomplishment!
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #6  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Good for you!!! I swear, our minds are way more stubborn that our fat is. Congrats for moving past that block!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Great job! Running is such a mental game!! In fact, I think that's part of why I like it so much. It is very good practice for learning to redirect unhealthy and negative thoughts. I can get on a treadmill and start thinking that "today just isn't my day" or "I'm feeling lightheaded" or "this is too hard" or "I really should just do 20 minutes because I need to get back to work" or "who am I kidding, I'm not a runner, my pace is so much slower than the person beside me" or whatever negative thought you can come up with. But then, the power comes from being able to counter those thoughts and do it anyway. That feeling of accomplishment and pride is so awesome and I think it spills over in other aspects of your life and definitely in weight loss. Once you learn this skill (and no one is perfect at it), it is a great "super power."

I get mental blocks sometimes over a certain time limit or a distance. I work on the positive self talk but also sometimes I will counter it by exceeding just by a bit. If I can't run for longer than 10 minutes (and it's been a couple weeks at that), then I'll run an interval at 11 minutes or even 10:30 - whatever it takes. Then as I'm walking my next segment, I reflect on that. And usually decide that I was able to make it through that extra minute and i'll do it in the next running segment. 3 segments is an extra 3 minutes, 3 times per week is 9 minutes. Try 2 minutes the next week. But usually what happens to me is that once I get over that block, I get this big confidence boost and put on my favorite song and add that whole time to the extra distance. Just don't push it too hard, too fast. I've learned that just because my heart and lungs can handle it, my body can't always and I end up with sore knees and hips for a few days - but that smile of pride for next few days makes it easier to take. Congrats!

P.S. - you were already a runner!!!!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Great Job!!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks everyone!

Annie - thanks for the encouraging words and advice. We have lots of runners in the family and they're keeping tabs on me too. I can honestly say I can't wait to get on that treadmill tomorrow morning!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote