Weight Loss Surgery - nervous about getting the sleeve

View Full Version : nervous about getting the sleeve

2Chi
03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi! So glad theres a forum on this. I went to a seminar last week and im currently waiting to make an appt to speak with the surgeons about the sleeve (and financing since my stupid ins doesnt cover it... siiiigh)
By nature, Im a worrier, especially when it comes to my health. Not sure why getting fat never worried me. Anyway, did any of you feel extremely nervous beforehand? I really want the surgery, but I fear it at the same time. Is there anything you guys did that helped you cope? Because the thought of having an actual surgery date freaks me out! Id be nervous from the day I get the surgery date until it actually happens!
The only time I feel like that is when I have to book a flight. Apparently my fear of flying is equal to the thought of surgery. My Dr once gave me a prescription for xanax for a flight I was taking, but I never filled it because I feel like I should deal with my fears on my own. Any ideas on how I could keep calm??? Aside from envisioning my "new" life to come?
Thanks!

jiffypop
03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
good morning, 2Chi! As you see - i made your post its own thread. You've asked a GREAT Q that applies to ANY of the surgeries. So, more people will see it and respond.

In general, we'd be worried if you DIDN'T have some butterflies. Take your time making sure that this is the RIGHT decision for you, and then take a deep breath and keep telling yourself that it's OK.

One of the best tips i can give you, though, is to focus on changing your habits NOW, before the surgery. If you're a stress eater, focus on identifying what sets you off, how that feels to you, and then do something different. It might be exercise, or drinking water, or writing in a journal, or knitting, or talking to a friend or, or .... the possibilities are endless!

Any work you can do NOW, before the surgery, will put you that much farther ahead of the changes that you'll have to make any way.

BTW, what in heavens' name were you doing up before 5 in the morning????? :dizzy:

Zeitgeist
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I put off getting WLS for years, thinking I could get a handle on my weight on my own. But the only thing that happened was that I got larger and larger. I finally hit bottom and realized my fear of "what if" was preventing me from truly living. So, yes, I was definitely nervous about the decision, but since it took me a year to meet the preop insurance and center requirements, I did truly feel prepared once I got my surgery date.

I agree with Jiffy's advice (although I'm up every morning before 4:30a, lol); the more you can prepare now, the less stress you may feel about your decision.

2Chi
03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Thank you Jiffypop for my own thread! And I loved what you said. I've been thinking about what you said, and I already know I eat the most at night because Im just sitting home... watching tv, online, and crocheting (lol).

Zeitgeist, thank you also. I know I'd keep gaining if I dont actually do this.

I have an appt on monday with my regular Dr.. just to discuss what I want to do and I'd like his thoughts/advice on surgery... Although Im pretty sure he recommended it in the past.

MadCowOnTheMend
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I've spent the last year and a half researching WLS and weighing the pros/cons. It's not an easy decision, or the "Easy way out". It's a big step. I hope you get all of the information you need to make the decision that is best for you!! Let us know how your appointment goes!

2Chi
03-07-2013, 03:15 AM
I will thanks! Have you done it?

MadCowOnTheMend
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm in the "holding pattern". Waiting on approval from my insurance, but I am not eligible for the sleeve. I will have a complete RNY due to a large para-esophageal hernia that must be repaired during surgery.

I actually called my insurance yesterday to check up. They said all they can tell me is that it is in process and I will receive a letter regarding the decision to approve or deny. I was told that it would be 7-10 business days and we submitted last Thursday... ((bite nails)).

2Chi
03-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Ohh ok. I think this process is so slow... yet its only been about 2 weeks lol. I guess im patient.
I called the surgeons office again today and they told me I should be expecting an email from them in a few days.. Not sure what thats all about, but I guess once I receive it, I can finally make an appt.
Now Im just looking forward to my regular Drs appt on monday. The more info I get, the more calm I feel about it.

MadCowOnTheMend
03-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm approved and scheduled for surgery a week from Monday. I just ordered all of my liquid vitamins on Amazon, and I'm down 5lbs this week from the pre-op diet.

Suddenly, I fear this last week is going to feel like an eternity. Trying to get plans for all the kids sorted out so have a few days of peace to adjust.

anninva
03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Hi! First post here, but a relative vet at 2yrs out (1/10/11 VSG). Being crazy nervous is totally, totally normal! Really would worry if you weren't since it's all a BIG deal! It's a huge change, but. Have no regrets at all. Pleased with my loss, though I don't follow a crazy strict diet, and now facing the new challenge of not eating "around" my sleeve!

Good luck, take your time and ask lots of questions!

2Chi
03-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Wow thats great MadCow! Im excited for you! Please keep me posted!

Anniva, Congrats on your success!

So since my insurance doesnt cover surgery, my mom offered to help me.
Although Im an adult, I still like the support from my mother and sister. It almost seems real now even though I havent spoken to the surgeons yet. Im mostly excited, but then I get those thoughts of OMG WHAT THE **** AM I DOING?? But then I get excited again. Hopefully the process will move long quickly for me, and I too can become a success story! I feel like coming out of surgery will be a "rebirth" for me. I cant wait to finally start living my life!

thinkfit
03-10-2013, 03:42 AM
Hey 2Chi, I'm planning on getting a gastric band, but I just thought I'd pop in and let you know I'm here to support you if you ever need it! We're in very close circumstances (height & weight) though you've lost a bit more weight than I have already. I also have those moments of being scared and wondering what I'm doing, but I know deep down that this is what's right for me. You stole the words right out of my mouth on that last bit there - I also feel like surgery is going to be the 'rebirth' I need to start living the life I always knew I could :)

jiffypop
03-10-2013, 12:16 PM
funny you should mention that 'rebirth' thing. Many people celebrate their re-birthdays [their surgery anniversary]. I'm not one of them, but I can sure understand why someone would do it!

petra65
03-10-2013, 05:17 PM
2Chi-if your surgeons office has support groups that may be another great source of information and support.

Shyne
03-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi!! I'm in a similar boat to you (about upcoming surgery I mean, not so much the nerves)

I think my big motivator is watching my mother fading before my eyes, she's just got out of a 4 week stint in hospital, she has numerous medical issues including dialysis 3 days a week, type 2 diabetes and the list goes on - I have a 2 year old myself and I'm barely 34 years old. The idea of him watching me go through what my mother is just breaks my heart and I refuse to let that happen, having a child has been my biggest motivator (although I don't recommend a child just for motivation *winks*) - I think everyone needs to find their own reasons, and they need to set their own goals and their own dreams....

I dunno about you, but I have bought a pair of "skinny" jeans that hand on my bedroom door...they are like 4 sizes too small but they are my goal!! And I'll get there.....When I imagine myself fitting into them I get super excited..and that helps the motivation too!! Good luck!

2Chi
03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Hey 2Chi, I'm planning on getting a gastric band, but I just thought I'd pop in and let you know I'm here to support you if you ever need it! We're in very close circumstances (height & weight) though you've lost a bit more weight than I have already. I also have those moments of being scared and wondering what I'm doing, but I know deep down that this is what's right for me. You stole the words right out of my mouth on that last bit there - I also feel like surgery is going to be the 'rebirth' I need to start living the life I always knew I could :)

No to be honest, I've gained weight, but I feel like a failure so I dont want to change my current weight lol.

Thanks for your support ladies, I really do appreciate it!

2Chi
03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Hmm.. I responded yesterday but I guess it never went thru!
Thanks Thinkfit! Yes we are very similar. But to be honest, Ive gained some weight, but Im too ashamed to adjust it on here :(

I went to my Dr today and he was really excited that I was interested in surgery. He suggests lapband because its reversible, however, after reading reviews, I think Im still leaning towards the Sleeve.

My biggest issue now is that I keep reading tons of reviews and they freak me out!!! I know its good to be educated, but damn... I wouldnt want to go thru all of this and become one of those with complications. Oh, my Dr also recommened a surgeon for me, who just so happens to be the one I was planning on using anyway!
Im not sure if people with complications just had inexperienced surgeons or what. But aside from being big, I have no health issues. I hate being so wishywashy. I need to stop reading reviews!

thinkfit
03-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Oh believe me, I've been there before! A few months back I was at 291 and its not a huge huge gain, but it took me quite a while to put it up to 298! I was embarrassed and ashamed and I thought for sure everyone would notice and shake their heads, but to be honest, I'll bet the greater majority of us here have been in the same boat. The only thing that really matter is not the number on your profile, but the fact that you're still here and you're still trying, aka, "Fall down seven times, get back up eight." No one is going to think less of you, and you shouldn't think less of yourself. Regains are never easy, but as long as you get back up and try again, you've got nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm glad your doctor is on board and supportive! That should be a tremendous help. Personally I'm looking to get a band because, firstly, I also have no comorbidities so I think I can aid the slower weight loss (vs other surgeries) with lots of exercise and whatnot, but secondly, the thought of getting an irreversible procedure that may have some really unpleasant lifelong side effects at twenty years old is frightening to me. That's not to say I've ruled it out completely, but I'd definitely prefer a band, even with all of the complications that are possible. Because there's complications to every surgery, but at least if something goes wrong with a band there's a high chance the problem will go away with removal. There's a slim chance it won't, but that's the risk you take with surgery in the first place. The thing I've learned about the lap band (this also goes for the other surgeries and pretty much anything else completely unrelated that can be bought, though) is that on the internet, it's much easier to find a bad review than it is to find a good one. If you order an iPod from Amazon, the average consumer isn't going to go leave a review about how it came on time and works as expected. However, if it arrives two weeks late and won't turn on, you're probably going to go say so to try and prevent someone else from having the same experience. I'm not saying to disregard the bad experiences, but that's just something to keep in mind as you do your research.

Anyway, it's to each his/her own when it comes to choosing a wls. When it comes down to it, whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should do. Sorry for the novel! haha

2Chi
03-12-2013, 03:21 AM
No I loved your "novel"!!! I have a bad habit of over analyzing! So I really appreciate what you said because it makes me see reason. Yes I know all the risks, yet I still continue to read crazy stories that freak me out! I just read some about Lupus and it freaked me out. Then I remembered I dont have lupus so thats not an issue lol. You are so smart at 20. Im 34 :/

thinkfit
03-12-2013, 03:57 AM
Awesome cause I have a tendency to get wordy :P I'm glad I could help! I know when I first started looking into this (I think I was sixteen/seventeen? yikes) I was scared out of my mind. That's probably why I didn't get to a place where I was comfortable with it until now. Lol @ the lupus issue! I did stuff like that too! I've seen some pretty bad stories out there, but with the extreme cases, they're just that - the extreme cases. It's true that anyone could end up in that position, but it's also true that you could have a bad reaction dyeing your hair at home and it will all fall out! Possible, but it's worst case scenario. Also... thank you! :) Haha, it doesn't matter what age you are to be honest, this is major surgery and any sane person would be scared! The most important thing I think is to learn as much as you can - know all possible outcomes, including the bad ones - and be sure to ask your surgeon ten thousand questions if you've got them! This definitely isn't something I'd ever want to go into without covering all of my bases first.

2Chi
03-12-2013, 04:16 AM
I like the idea of Lapband because I fear excess skin. With sleeve, you lose like 2lbs a week (i think) which is fine for me! I also plan on doing weight training! I actually enjoy it. (last yr I was doing alot of cardio/weights, and I looooved loved loved that I could finally feel biceps!!!!) Cardio kinda sucks. I like running even though I can only run like half a mile. So Im hoping I can get all "muscley" to even out the excess skin because I dont want to have a great weight loss then have to deal with removal surgery. Im gonna talk to the surgeon and ask about Lapband still though.

Oh and have you seen this?? Immediatley my crazy brain imagined the beads becoming dislodged and flowing thru my veins. Seems like it can be a new weight loss procedure, but i dont think Id want to weight till its out of the experimental phase.

http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3625497-74/artery-kipshidze-patients#axzz2NJKyv6Sc

thinkfit
03-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Excess skin is definitely a big factor for me too, which is why I like the slow loss of the band. I agree on the gaining muscle! Last summer I was super into it and I swear I saw abs under there haha. I know it's possible I'll still have some extra anyway, but I'm hoping to minimize it as much as possible, especially because more often than not the skin removal is gonna end up being out of pocket costs and I don't exactly have $10,000+ lying around!

Oh man, I know it's still really early in their research, but I would be terrified that those little beads would go block off the wrong blood flow and I' have to end up getting my toe amputated or something! It's interesting, but there's no way I'd go for it without a LOT more information. I mean I know they have to have participants to get through any experimental stage but... no way, I don't care if it's just a new formula of skin cream, I need someone else to try it first lmao

edit; I totally forgot to mention how much I hate cardio. Like maybe this will get better when I lose weight, but right now it is killer! When I run, my lungs are on fire in like thirty seconds. So ridiculous. I know it's something you gotta build up but man does it hurt

2Chi
03-12-2013, 07:30 AM
My last sentence wasn't accurate. There's no way in **** I'd get an experimental procedure!!

jiffypop
03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
hi ladies - you two are really doing your research - and that's the best thing you can do. 2CHI: the link doesn't work anymore, but if these researchers are blocking off an artery, it doesn't sound like a good idea. Things fall off when blood flow is blocked. REALLY! So, I'm almost glad I can't see the article!

Now, let's talk about loose skin. Some people have none. Some people exercise and lose slowly and have none, but others have lots. Some people lost fast and may or may not have a lot of excess skin whether or not they exercise. Making sure you're getting enough protein, calcium, and water can help, but it's no guarantee.

Having said all that [and probably depressing you], the younger you are, the less likely you are to have saggy skin. So, 20-year-old Daisy, you stand a good chance of not having excess skin. And 2Chi - you look like you're young, too ..

But MOI? there's no hope. I have saggy baggy skin all over the place. But I'm still moving and feeling better and that's what matters. I'll live with the skin until I can get it taken care of...

19Deltawifey
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm claustrophobic so I hate flying and feeling encapsulated in a tube and no way to get out but I can handle 2-3 hours in a plane without getting too nervous. Anything over that then I'd rather at least have a xanax in my purse just incase. I hate pills and meds of any kind, so I usually just deal with any discomfort by deep breathing and knowing that I have the meds there keeps me calm.

As far as the sleeve being irreversible, that made me nervous also but I knew that this was the best procedure for me. RNY and lapband are reversible. I didn't choose the RNY because I feel like I'm too young for malabsorption. I'm only 28 and if I were to get a RNY I would possibly be facing 50+ yrs of malabsorption of vitamins and nurtrients. Plus you have to take lots of vitamins daily and my aunt is now bald because she's not taking care of herself. PLus my friend was telling me that her friend lost her teeth because her friend didn't take her vitamins, etc.

With the lap band I didn't view it as permanent because I'm young and I couldn't imagine living 50+ yrs with a foreign object in me and I worried about erosion, slippage, etc. Plus I knew I didn't want to get the fills and unfills. I've heard of some docs refusing to do the fills and unfills on patients that they didn't personally put the band in or charging a high fee for a simple fill and unfill. My husband is military so we move a lot. On the sleeve forum that I frequent there are a lot of band to sleeve revisions and I just couldn't see going under the knife again.

The sleeve does carry the risk of a leak and I have read about some cases where the sleeve was made to small or with too much restriction and this could lead to acid reflux or not being able to get in the proper nutrients. My friend who had the sleeve the same time as me had a stricture and wasn't able to eat for a while, it makes sense why she was able to lose 70 lbs in 3 months. She had to go in and have the stricture stretched.

My weight loss has been average and not super fast with the sleeve. My surgeon reminded me of the stats, 70% of excess weight in the first 12-18 months and it could take up to 2 years to reach goal. Some people lose faster than this time frame but I will more than likely meet this range of loss and not be at goal until around 18-24 months. The sleeve only offers restriction. In my support group they explained to me that the reason why the weight loss is/can be slow in some people is because this is no different than any other diet where you restrict or cut calories, so your body just assumes that you're restricting or cutting back. Of course sometimes I get frustrated but I wouldn't change my surgery at all. I take a simple multi vitamin a day.

Good Luck with whatever procedure you chose :)

jiffypop
03-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Carly - i ALWAYS learn something from you!

2Chi
03-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I've decided Im going to stop doing research until after I've spoken to the surgeon. Its just making me crazy!!
So im just gonna ask this once question so I dont have to look it up and accidently stumble upon something else lol.
Carly, you said the sleeve has the risk of a leak which I know. But doesnt the risk of leaks go away once the stomach is healed? Or is it there a risk forever?

19Deltawifey
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I think once you reach about 6-8 weeks without a leak, then you are in the clear. I think most leaks are discovered by at least the 6 week mark and once your stomach fully heals you don't have to worry about it happening. I forgot to mention also that I have heard of the stomach twisting after sleeve surgery and the woman that this happened to ended up getting it revised to a rny. On MFP I have this friend who had a leak early on and had to have about 4 or 5 surgeries over the course of a year because the leak wouldn't stop. I think this last surgery that she had was successful because now she's able to eat regular food but it's been a very long journey for her. Some people whose sleeves are too small end up on feeding tubes and having to get hydrated through IVs. Getting in fluids was extremely hard during the first month but it did get easier and now I can drink almost like I used to. I'm not saying this to scare you and complications are very rare and the overwhelming majority are happy with whatever surgery they decided on but it's good to know the what ifs. Also a leak can make it to where you will have to spend several days or weeks in the hospital. Thankfully I haven't had any complications with surgery and I still have my gallbladder.

I can only eat about 1 chicken wing and then I'm full (not stuffed). I'm also still breastfeeding my 17 month old. My surgeon has never lost a patient and hasn't had a leak in the several years that he's been performing wls. The leak test after surgery SUCKS! and I couldn't stop vomiting up the barium stuff and I was so worried about ripping my staple line. I vomited about 10 times while in the hospital after surgery but this was caused by the pain meds. My recovery was hard but so worth it :)

Definitely talk to your surgeon and ask him questions about his past patients and how he would handle certain situations like a leak, etc. I know it's scary and I worried about possibly dying and leaving my 3 kiddos behind but I had faith in my surgeon that he would take care of me and now I'm on the other side and so happy. Good Luck

2Chi
03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks!

2Chi
03-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Finally have my first appt with the surgeon on the 28th! YaY!

dobeigh
03-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi! So glad theres a forum on this. I went to a seminar last week and im currently waiting to make an appt to speak with the surgeons about the sleeve (and financing since my stupid ins doesnt cover it... siiiigh)
By nature, Im a worrier, especially when it comes to my health. Not sure why getting fat never worried me. Anyway, did any of you feel extremely nervous beforehand? I really want the surgery, but I fear it at the same time. Is there anything you guys did that helped you cope? Because the thought of having an actual surgery date freaks me out! Id be nervous from the day I get the surgery date until it actually happens!
The only time I feel like that is when I have to book a flight. Apparently my fear of flying is equal to the thought of surgery. My Dr once gave me a prescription for xanax for a flight I was taking, but I never filled it because I feel like I should deal with my fears on my own. Any ideas on how I could keep calm??? Aside from envisioning my "new" life to come?
Thanks!

I felt extremely nervous before I got my gastric sleeve. The good thing is they make medication for that. Once they gave me something for my nerves, I went right into that OR and was like "Let's Get This Done!!" If you feel like your nerves are that bad, go ahead and fill your script for Xanax. It will definitely help. And when you go to surgery, take your Xanax that morning (you'll be allowed to) and ask them for something before surgery too. The hard part is not the surgery... it's when you wake up. The first week, you feel like absolute ****! I thought I was going to die, I felt so bad. After that, it has been smooth sailing for me. I'm almost 3 weeks out and I feel great! And I'm down 24 pounds!

thinkfit
03-17-2013, 12:49 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :broc:

Progress is fun haha

2Chi
03-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks Dobeigh! Glad you are doing well! Keep us updated!

2Chi
03-29-2013, 02:35 AM
So I had my consultation with the surgeon yesterday. I'm gonna check out another surgeon next week. But omg that nervous feeling is back lol. Its getting real!!! Although I gotta say.. I'm only nervous at night when I'm alone.

jiffypop
03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Chi honey - being nervous is NORMAL. and remember, you can back out at any point if you decide that this isn't the right path for you.

What did you think of yesterday's surgeon visit? thumbs up? thumbs down?

Joliebug82
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi! I was sleeved Monday the 25th, and would recommend it in a heartbeat, even though I had nausea from pain meds (any pain medication does this to me) and my bp was high (also normal for me). I am down just over 10 pounds since the morning of surgery and feel pretty much normal. I am able to get in more protein and fluids each day so far, even though it only adds up to about 30 grams/40 oz so far. I will be back at work Tuesday!

2Chi
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Wow Jolie thats great!

Jiffy, The surgeon I met with was nice. Both my Dr and my moms Dr recommended him (after I already chosen him anyway). He was nice, but he was a bit rushed during the consultation, even though he answered all my questions. In his defense, there was a waiting room full of people!
Not sure if its normal or not, but after all of my questions, he had me lie down and he felt my stomach (gallbladder area), and checked my ankles for swelling. I would feel confident using him because my SIL did, plus he does surgery at a HUGE hospital less than a mile from my house, which has its own bariatric floor.
Im going to check out another surgeon who is about 5K less than my the other surgeon. My SIL's mom is seeing him for her surgery and she really liked him (shes pre-op). The only thing different is that his hospital is more of a medical center.
Im gonna go and see who I like better.
One thing I like about the first guy, is that the "Blis Protection Plan" options are mandatory and already included in the price.

2Chi
03-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Oh, and yes, I really wanna do it! I just get nervous sometimes when Im over thinking things. I feel bad that Ive failed myself, and that if something went wrong, I have no one to blame but myself for not having the willpower I needed to lose weight.
Im getting everything lined up for surgery though. My mom is also helping which is nice.
I even confided in one employee at work, but only out of neccessity. My job requires a uniform, and by contract, we only are allowed 5 separate pieces, and I was freaked out that I'd go thru uniforms too fast and would be SOL!

Pretty much all I need so far is my nutrion class which is scheduled on the 10th, and get the bloodwork clearance from my Dr! Sooo Hopefully I'll have my surgery date by April/May!

jiffypop
03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Chi honey - remember the comments about ATTITUDE?? here we go - you're NOT being punished for 'failing' at dieting/exercise. Although the success of the surgery rests largely on what you do, please remember all the times that you did everything by the book and STILL couldn't lose more than a few pounds and couldn't keep it off. You followed the rules AND THEY DIDN'T WORK!!!

As one person around here says [Dawnajoy], msurgery levels the playing field so that if we follow 'the rules' we'll succeed. My surgeon told me that, before he got into WLS, he believed the conventional wisdom: lazy, no will power, can't or won't follow instructions, no motivation. he said that he quickly learned how much discipline and control required to stick to 400 calories a day, and that so many of us lead lives of quiet desperation without any support from the medical community.

sooooooo, take a deep breath, and take a look at what's going on. be ready to hit the RESET button on everything you ever knew or thought you knew about eating, food, emotions, coping and so on, and re-learn what you need to be happy and healthy.

Joliebug82
03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Definitely find someone you are confident in. I am happy to have BLIS as a just in case. Hope nobody needs it, but...

Let us know how next week goes!

2Chi
04-03-2013, 03:48 AM
I had my 2nd consultation today. This surgeon was alot more personable. We sat at a table and he went over my questions. I tagged along and had a double consultation with my sister. Without us asking, he said he would give us a discount.
The part I didnt like about him was that he sort of told us the business side of things that I felt was none of our business. But I think he was really just explaining why his prices are low. Theres another surgeon who is in competition with him and they compete in prices. Currently they are the same price. Ummm I liked that he acknowleged the reason why I would want to donate my own blood. My sister and I are complete opposites. She worries about nothing and I worry about everything! So I think they commented about me wanting to donate and he told them that although its rare and probably wouldnt happen, that theres always the risk u could get blood with hiv etc. So I liked that he didnt laugh at me.
Heres what Im annoyed at....
My first Dr said I could donate blood a few days before surgery.
This Dr said if i wanted to donate blood then I should wait 6 months after to have surgery. He said that during surgery you lose some blood, and if I donated, I would have even less blood in my body. And so if I waited 6 months, then my body would replenish what I had donated.
I understand the concept. But I dont want to wait 6 months! Theres a good chance I wouldnt even need a transfusion anyway... But I freak out after getting tattoos... thinking Im gonna get a disease. I dont know if i could handle someone elses blood in my body. I'd be getting my blood tested every month until I got the all clear lol.
Ummm the differance in prices between both surgeons is almost $6500.
They told me I could have my date 4/29th!
Ohhh and my sister originally was gonna go to Mexico and took time off work. So her appt HAD to be within that time frame for her to do it here. The surgeon had to leave for a procedure but told us he would be back if we had more questions. During that time we spoke with an employee who was looking at the surgeons schedule and she told my sister it was impossible for her to get a surgery date in 2 weeks. After we left, the surgeon came back to the office and the employee told him what happened, and he called my sister and told her if she could get all the neccessary tests, he would squeeze her in on one of three days. He even gave her his cellphone number and wants her to call him when she gets to her Dr on thursday so she can get clearance from the Dr.

Im not sure who I want though. Im sort of leaning towards the first one.

First Dr said hes never had a patient die. Not sure how many surgerys hes done total. But hes been doing them for like 10 yrs and he was recommeneded by both my dr and my moms. Hes had 3 patients develop bloodclots, but they were healed. Not sure about leaks cause I forgot to ask.
He does surgery at a HUGE hospital like a mile from my house and they have a designated bariatric floor.

Second Dr said hes done about 3000+ surgerys. Hes had 3 patients die with the RNY but he said they were complicated patients. He said hes never had a leak in all those years. His office is like 20 mins away on the turnpike, and the hospital is small.. more of a medical center.

thinkfit
04-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Personally, from what you've told us, I'd definitely be inclined to go with the first doctor. :)

2Chi
04-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Me too.. but I really dont think I can afford that price. Ive look at reviews on the 2nd surgeon and they were all really good.
At this point, I dont care who does it, as long as I dont have any complications... Nothing is guaranteed and realistically things can go wrong no matter where I go.
But I do like that the first Dr had no patients die lol.

Agalinfl
04-05-2013, 06:52 AM
As a worrier myself - I would want my surgery in a major hospital...

2Chi
05-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi everyone! Just letting you all know that I will be having my Sleeve done in the morning!!
My original date was May 6th, but my surgeon called me 2 days ago and asked if I wanted to do it on the 3rd instead. Its actually at a nicer hospital that costs more but hes honoring the price so that works for me.
Anyway, I feel as if I've come a long way in 2 months. I used to be TERRIFIED even before I had a surgery date.
I prayed about my decision. I asked that if it was the right one for me, and that I would have success etc, then I didnt want to feel nervous.
I've been calm ever since. Tomorrow when I get to the hospital might spark up some fear, but we'll see. The unknown is scary!
Im really not looking forward to not being able to eat or drink in 2 days! I'll do an update when I can!

thinkfit
05-03-2013, 01:47 AM
:yay: WOOHOO!
Can't wait to hear all about it!

2Chi
05-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Thanks!

joefla70
05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Good luck with the surgery today, 2Chi! I think you made the right decision. Everybody has to do what is best for them. I have friends who have done WLS (bariatric, lap band and sleeve) and all of them had success with the surgeries and are very happy with their choices. I was one step away from the surgery too. In fact, a big part of the reason why I hadn't already done it was because of the cost, because my insurance wouldn't cover it. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates.

jiffypop
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
WOW!!! what a surprise!!! is there someone around who can keep us posted on how your surgery goes?

we're with you - all the way!!!

2Chi
05-04-2013, 12:34 AM
My surgery went well!!!!! I have some soreness and some gas discomfort but I've been working on burping it out. I only felt like i was gonna puke like 2-3 Times. Twice was because the steering on my bed was broke and as they tried to fix it when they brought me to recovery and then my room kinda gave me Motion sickness. But I burped and didn't throw up and that helped sooo much.
I've used my morphine less than 10 Times. Mostly its cause I have a slight head.
My surgeon told me he had visiting professors and asked if i would allow them to observe my surgery. I said yes because I figured he would be extra gentle and careful lol.
Thanks for your concerns!
Now I hope i pass my leak test in the morning and when I'm home I hope I can easily tolerate food.

2Chi
05-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Ps joe... congrats on weightloss the natural way!!!!!!! I'm so impressed by yOu!

joefla70
05-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Ps joe... congrats on weightloss the natural way!!!!!!! I'm so impressed by yOu!

Thanks, 2Chi. Glad to see that the surgery went well. I wish you a speedy recovery! :)

thinkfit
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm so happy to hear everything went well! Good luck with recovery <3

2Chi
05-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Hi! Sorry I haven't been keeping up much here. I'm doing really well. I had My mom bring me to the grocery store to pick up baby spoons. I know they are not needed but I want them for my early stages. I was feeling ok but I was feeling irritable for other girly reasons so that was a short trip out. I feel like i could handle everything without help if I didn't have 2 chihuahuas. I just can't bend that far too put on their leashes so my mom's been staying with me. The nurses told me at the hospital I was doing better than about of surgery patients. I've been saFer and "active". The hardest parts for me are standing and turning In bed. Even in the hospital one day one I made it my mission to sleep on my side like i normally do. Every day it gets better. Except coughing and sneezing. I almost sneezed for the first time yesterday and I could feel it was starting to hurt and i guess i freaked myself out mid sneeze and I stopped. The pain feels like I've done an intense ab workout. It's not unbearable but not pleasant.
So far I've been able to tolerate enduring I've eaten. I'm impressed with myself so far.
My sister and sister I'm law discussed with eachother how wimpy I'd be healing an sister told me doing better than they did lol.
This is embarrassing but i thought i had a bloodclot and went to the ER. They did tests and for a $50 co pay I have piece of mind that i don't. At least not in my calf. Turns out the ad irebess and small bruise was just a bruise. Phew!!!

2Chi
05-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Omg my phone jacked up words!! Sorry some of that doesn't make sense.