Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Default Feathers advice for workouts please?

I know a lot of you featherweights are into using weights etc, and I just began a new resistance/weights program yesterday at my gym. Im going to try doing 3 days of this (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) with cardio in between (tuesday and Thursday). I woke up this morning, and despite my whole body ACHING, I managed a slow 30 min jog.
My question is, my muscles are so sore today, and I dont imagine they will be significantly better tomorrow, so is it still ok to do my planned workout tomorrow or will I just end up doing more harm than good? Is it ok to work out with sore muscles?? Im new to this stuff so sorry if the answer is obvious!
Cat
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Switch up what muscles you are working. My trainer and I would alternate between upper body and lower body while including some core in every workout, just different exercises.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #3  
Do you even lift, bro?

S/C/G: 125/109/110

Height: 5'3''

It's fine to workout again with sore muscles (DOMS)... just don't workout if you experience sharp pain. There is a difference between muscle soreness and inflammation, pain, or fatigue.

If you want an in-depth look into the answer this article is great:
Bodypart Frequency and Soreness – Q&A
Aidanqm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

First time doing XYZ weights workout will probably give you DOMS for like, a week. My hamstrings still hurt 9 days after I recently introduced deadlifts to leg day.

Sharp pain versus dull soreness/ache is an important distinction. It gets tricky sometimes when the lower back gets involved.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/124/120

Height: 5ft 2

Thanks for your advice guys. Its not really a sharp pain, my thighs are just really sore and it's pretty hard to walk without looking like a duck... I'll see how I feel in the morning and decide from there, but it does feel like it might be like this for a week!
Cat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Make sure you stretch really well after a workout and drink plenty of water too...

Last edited by Ilene; 03-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4

If you're sore, try epsom salt baths as well. Super cheap and easy way to relax and soothe those tired muscles!

A supplement of glutamine powder in the evening before bed helps with muscle soreness, as does fatty fish like salmon (fights inflammation) and tart cherry juice.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote