Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #1  

Default Working to much to exercise

Hello!
I'm a 19 year old guy that weighs about 218lbs. Recently I started at two jobs. My first job starts at 6 in the morning and ends around either 12 or 2 depending on the day. My second job starts right after basically at 12:30 or 2:30 and ends at 9:30 or later. By the time I get home its 10pm or a little later. Since I am now working both jobs I literally have no time to do any exercising, besides when I only work one job in a day, and dieting is ridiculously hard when I'm not eating at home. My weight is the highest its been ever I think, but working two jobs like this I cant find time to lose the weight. Can anybody help me find a solution or a plan to help me drop the weight?

Thanks!
Passe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Hmmm..... I'm not generally a big advocate of pre-packaged plans, but in your case this may be the answer. Perhaps something like nutrisystem? Or just get a calorie counting ap on your phone so if you eat out you can still be accountable for daily intake?

And while exercise is great for health, its not necessary for weight loss. Perhaps just exercise on the days you can - but see if you can be more active during your job. Not sure what you do - but if you can get up and do a quick lap around the office every so often that would be great.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Packing my own lunch has helped me immensely in my weight loss journey. I like having control over what I eat and knowing roughly how many calories I'm consuming. I don't know if you want to count calories, but I'm a big advocate of MyFitnessPal. It really opened my eyes to how badly I was overeating and helped guide me to more appropriate quantities of healthier food. Additionally, making little choices during the day like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking farther away from the entrance to the building are little things that can help!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Integrate your exercise into your life. I do crazy hours too but walk to work. That has helped me. You don't need a gym. And the biggest element to weight loss is not necessarily exercise but calories in, calories out. Eat salad at work.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Why is dieting rediculously hard when you're not eating at home?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Hey Passe--it's a really guy thing to think that you lose weight by working out--but in fact, working out makes you fit, but the way to lose weight is just by cutting calories.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

When I was working 2 jobs, I didn't worry about working out so much. However, I had 2 small windows of opportunity to prep food for the week.

Every other Saturday, then Saturday afternoon, every other week, and Sunday mornings.

I prepacked, bagged, weighed etc. all my food and had it all ready to grab and put in my lunch box. There were days when all 3 meals and my snacks left the house with me in the morning.

I feel for ya. I don't miss the days of leaving home at 7am and not getting home until around midnight or later, and getting up and doing it all over the next day.

For the record, when I was doing this I was 50 years old, my day job, I work for a veterinarian, busy physical job and then I tended bar! Run, run run!

Weight loss is done in the kitchen, fitness is done in the gym. Given your schedule right now, I would focus on food prep, get a lunch box, prep and pack your food. On the days you are not at both jobs, prep food and make it a priority to get in any kind of exercise, even if it's just a quick walk. Anything is better than nothing.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
When I was working 2 jobs, I didn't worry about working out so much. However, I had 2 small windows of opportunity to prep food for the week.

Every other Saturday, then Saturday afternoon, every other week, and Sunday mornings.

I prepacked, bagged, weighed etc. all my food and had it all ready to grab and put in my lunch box. There were days when all 3 meals and my snacks left the house with me in the morning.

I feel for ya. I don't miss the days of leaving home at 7am and not getting home until around midnight or later, and getting up and doing it all over the next day.

For the record, when I was doing this I was 50 years old, my day job, I work for a veterinarian, busy physical job and then I tended bar! Run, run run!

Weight loss is done in the kitchen, fitness is done in the gym. Given your schedule right now, I would focus on food prep, get a lunch box, prep and pack your food. On the days you are not at both jobs, prep food and make it a priority to get in any kind of exercise, even if it's just a quick walk. Anything is better than nothing.
Yep! When I was 19, I had three jobs and went to school full time. I remember the busy days and it was easier (for me) to stay on track with such a strict schedule.

Focusing on the food prep and divvying and portioning when you do have time (if you have any days off) will make things so much easier for you, and save you money and time!

Are you eating out now? Most places that are "grab and go" have options that are better than others too. Familiarize yourself with menus and the nutritional information, and try to make a better choice.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm busy, too. Full time college student, mommy, and working, too. You're not the only one. I pack my meals in advance and squeeze in one thirty minute workout a day. My point is, with preparation you can definitely achieve your goals. It takes work, but the results are worth it!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Eat less of what you're currently eating. Exercise is great, good for your health and fitness, but not required to lose weight. Preparing food is wonderful and ideal, but not required to lose weight. Eating the healthiest, cleanest, most wholesome food, is awesome, but not required to lose weight.

Being busy has nothing to do with losing weight, quite the opposite for a lot of people, I personally do better the busier I am (I have a job, 2 small children, a husband, and a home that all require my time and attention). There are healthier or lower calorie options everywhere. Or just eat a smaller portion of the crappiest foods.

Caloric deficit is all that's required to lose weight (please no one argue with me about that I realize there are some exceptions to that hard rule, but GENERALLY speaking it's the truth for MOST people).

Best of luck to you!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Like others have said, I would not worry about the exercise aspect, and focus on the food because that is more important for weight loss.

Personally, I would find it extremely hard if I were away from home from 6 am (well, before that, since you must have some sort of commute in there too?) until 10 pm every day. I'm exhausted to just think about that, let alone figure out adding in shopping, cooking and cleaning up.

But obviously, you have to eat, so I would try to do the best I could depending on your circumstances. What are your available options in terms of having a fridge or microwave at work? If I had freezer and microwave, I would likely go for prepared meals a lot of the time. It's not the healthiest choice in the world, but it's not the worst either.

If you are stuck with having to buy food every day, I would educate yourself about all the options that are readily accessible and make a list of the best choices at each one, and then just alternate picking from those every day. If you do have any extra time on weekends, you can also try to cook things for the week, at least for some of

The bottom line for weight loss is going to be reducing calories, so for right now, I'd focus on how you can have access to the most reasonable choices you can get at this point in time.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

Do you have a day off? I used to be really busy but have some free time on the weekends and I would cook all of my meals for the week and preportion them out into tupperwares so that the rest of the week all I had to do is open the fridge and say "I guess today I will go for the lasagna, the lemon chicken, and the quiche". True I only had about 5 dishes each week but I lost weight and found some delicious, easy recipes in the process.

Do you get any breaks at your jobs? You could do lunges or squats or go for a walk during your breaks. Even if the breaks are just 15 minutes, it is better than nothing!

Best of luck!

Kat
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe View Post
Hello!
I'm a 19 year old guy that weighs about 218lbs. Recently I started at two jobs. My first job starts at 6 in the morning and ends around either 12 or 2 depending on the day. My second job starts right after basically at 12:30 or 2:30 and ends at 9:30 or later. By the time I get home its 10pm or a little later. Since I am now working both jobs I literally have no time to do any exercising, besides when I only work one job in a day, and dieting is ridiculously hard when I'm not eating at home. My weight is the highest its been ever I think, but working two jobs like this I cant find time to lose the weight. Can anybody help me find a solution or a plan to help me drop the weight?

Thanks!
same kinda a problem with me also !!
but i found a simple solution for that , i simply change my diet include Egg whites
in my breakfast and in my meal ....so there's no extra calories and then we dont have to do lots of workouts !!
try this you will see the difference soon !!
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #14  

I agree with this. Since i am now waaay busier than i used to be, i just eat less calories. I don't have the time or energy for the gym anymore.

I work 9- 5.30, five days a week, i am living with a very fussy landlord, so a lot of time is spent on cleaning, keeping him happy, then i have driving lessons, karate, a boyfriend. All of these things make my life really busy, but also really happy.

I find that the best solution is just to eat less. Its easier and means less time spent working out and more time relaxing.

Think of lunches which are quick and easy to prepare (for me its veggie ham sandwhiches on wholemeal bread), identify healthy options in the work environment so you know what you can do if you forget you're lunch. Also if you are very busy and don;t have time to cook, just take healthy pre-packaged meals with you.

Don't forget a multivitamin to keep those energy levels up.

Good luck
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #15  

First off, thanks for all the advise guys and gals!

Both my jobs are retail so I'm on my feet the whole time walking around besides on my breaks and lunch. I think I should be able to get my exercise from that. I've tried diets before, but I can't seem to stick to them or find one. Does anybody have some good ideas for sack lunches to take to my jobs?
Passe is offline   Reply With Quote