Exercise! - "Sport" Earbuds - What to get??

View Full Version : "Sport" Earbuds - What to get??

Silverfire
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
So this isn't really about exercise per say... But I don't think I can exercise without music! That being said, I am in desperate need of an earbud upgrade! I would like something fairly inexpensive 50-100 bucks tops, with remote for my iThings and ones that don't always pop out of my ears. I was considering these (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-headphones-sennheiser-adidas_504980) As I like that they wrap around the back of your head.

What kind of earbuds/headphones do you use and why?

Riddy
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I am a big fan of the Bose earbuds, but the ones with the remote/mic are $150. I like that the tips come in sizes, so you can really get a comfortable but snug fit. Most other earbuds hurt me because of a piercing I have, but I can wear the Bose for hours (and have, on a plane). And they don't budge - I wear them for running.

If you don't mind the headband, the ones you're looking at look good. And Sennheiser is a good brand.

gailr42
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for this exchange. I had the same question. I don't run, but walk and hike and I like to listen to audio books while I walk.

CherryPie99
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I have funky ears must be, because in-ear ones never work for me. Someone on Runners World suggested these - they are cheap but have GREAT sound and stay solidly in place!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJTR8M/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nelie
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I had Bose earbuds but sweat got into one of the earbuds I guess and it no longer works. I use the Monster iSport now.

WTF Moose
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I have the Bose IE2 audio headphones. I would have posted a link but the site won't let me yet. >< I have this pair and I really like them. What makes them awesome is that synthetic rubber-like part. I've never had ear buds stay in as well as these do. I even used them running and I never had to adjust them once. It's super comfortable and they come with different sizes :)

Silverfire
03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Bose are just a little to rich for my blood (Not really interested in paying an extra 40-80 bucks for a brand name) Hence the price cap of 100 bucks :)
Those Monster ones look pretty cool, but I have heard that the markup on all monster products to be a bit intense for what you get :(

grneyedmustang
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
These aren't "sport" earbuds per se, but they sound great and I've been using them for a few years and they're fairly inexpensive: http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Titan-S2TTDZ-116-Black-Blue/dp/B004MWI5TA/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362418524&sr=1-22&keywords=skullcandy

I had a problem with a pair back in 2007 (one of the earbuds stopped working) and Skullcandy replaced them, free of charge, without a receipt.

gailr42
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I've been looking at reviews on these things. Evidently getting them to fit correctly and not pop out is problematic. You can get custom made earbuds, but they are pretty expensive.

Not only do they not stay in my ears, they hurt.

Silverfire
03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I had a problem with a pair back in 2007 (one of the earbuds stopped working) and Skullcandy replaced them, free of charge, without a receipt.

Oh man, I have gone through, no word of a lie, at least 12 pairs of those. I bought mine from radioshack (the source) and had to bring them back at least once if not twice a month to be replaced. I appreciated the exchange policy (I could get up to 2 free replacements for each pair I bought) But I just got sick of having to get new ones every month! I am glad they are working for you though. Maybe I just had a string of really really bad luck there :(

I swear I am not a earbud murderer!!! :devil:

Silverfire
03-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I feel like I am being terribly picky :shrug: Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!

Nikel1979
03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I've been happy with yurbuds. For working out, I'm not terribly concerned about sound quality, not that I have any complaints, just sure they're not Bose level. ;) I'm more worried about them staying in my ears, not being too much $$$ because I WILL lose them, and able to handle all the sweating and rain (I'm an outdoor runner).

Silverfire
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I've been happy with yurbuds. For working out, I'm not terribly concerned about sound quality, not that I have any complaints, just sure they're not Bose level. ;) I'm more worried about them staying in my ears, not being too much $$$ because I WILL lose them, and able to handle all the sweating and rain (I'm an outdoor runner).

I am intrigued!!! I will look into these some more. I had never heard of these before! Thanks :)

bubblybarrister
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a pair of earbuds from Shure (purchased at the Apple store). The cheapest ones they make are right at 100, I think, but I have had them for over 5 years with no problems and they are by far the best pair I've ever owned. I must have strangely shaped ears because all other brands/pairs I've tried make my ears hurt, but these ones are PERFECT.

Nikel1979
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I am intrigued!!! I will look into these some more. I had never heard of these before! Thanks :)

I know Target sells some of the styles. I wear the ones for women because I have tiny lady ears. LOL If the ear thingies don't fit your ears, you can send them a picture, and they'll send you the right size piece.

AlmostMe
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I use the kind that loops over the ears for running. I have three different pairs. Sony, Panasonic and some random brand I just bought because they were orange. (yeah...you can tell I'm a real audio fiend) I didn't like the kind that had a back of the head head band, but it may be because it just quit working (they weren't that expensive). I tend to misplace things a lot so this way I can usually find a pair when it's time for a run.

nelie
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM

My pair of yurbuds did the same thing my Bose ones did, basically, 1 of the earphones stopped working within a couple months (maybe even weeks, it was what I bought after the Bose died). I did buy it at Target. Maybe I just have sweaty ears. The Monster ones are the only ones that kept going for me, I know they are pricey though but I don't like buying new earbuds every couple months.

Silverfire
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I just thought I would post an update. I Finally picked a pair. I bit the bullet and spent 100 bucks, so these bad boys better last me FOREVER! lol

The winners are the Sennheiser OCX685i Adidas Sports In-Ear Headphones
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XaQXvnKqL._SY300_.jpg

So far I really like them. They sound very good, they are comfortable in my ears, and over my ears, even when I am wearing my glasses.

I haven't taken them for a spin at the gym yet, but I think they will be just fine. there is a little clip to secure it to your shirt.

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

Snoofie
04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately, because I've yet to find a pair of earbuds that a) fit my (apparently oddly shaped) ears; b) don't constantly pop out of my ears; and c) don't get totally DESTROYED by sweat. I can't even keep count of the number of pairs I've gone through. Sony, RCA, Skullcandy...god, I have no idea. I can't wear the Apple earbuds that came with my iPod because they just won't even go in my ears. :( And I'm not really willing to pay, like, $80 or $100 for a pair of earbuds that will probably only last me a couple of months.

The guys at my local Source store must be sick of seeing me, I swear. *L*

alaskanlaughter
04-27-2013, 02:51 AM
I went to Walmart and grabbed the cheapest pair of earbuds I saw. Like $7 total. I've worn them for a year n a half to run with and they have been just fine for me. No name brand at all.