Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Mar 4 - Mar 10

BillBlueEyes
03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
The birds are chirping as if it's Spring. Saw some Snowdrops racing upward. The snow that blocked on-street parking in front of my house is melted sufficiently for two cars to be out there right now. We saw a pair of American Black Ducks mate on open water on Saturday <blush - get a room, LOL>.

My dream now is to walk to gym without wearing warm-up pants over my gym shorts.

silverbirch
03-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Hello all! You may remember me ...

Now, on past experience, this is probably going to be a pets/weight/support thread. This is more than a wild guess on my part.

Some of you may know that I'm involved in research. This sweet appeal for help from a 10-11 year old scientist came my way and I immediately thought of you all as potential respondents. Her research question concerns whether "orange tabby cats" tend to obesity more than other types of cat. All you have to do is to submit your cat's weight, colour, etc. http://ow.ly/iddzb (http://t.co/OtdWxitn8r)

Thank you in advance for helping out. :) We all need support and young scientists are no exception.

Spring is on the way here. We have snowdrops and a few daffodils. Also lambs in the field. The sun is out.

I am doing reasonably well. Other priorities have emerged (fun!) and so I weigh more than I'd like but I am certainly not beating myself up about it. I take action when I can and, of course, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast." (Alexander Pope)

Love, love and thanks again.

bargoo
03-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Silver, of course I remember you, so good to hear from you. I have missed you.
I loved Ilse's blog, what a bright young lady. I am sorry that I don't have a cat so I can't participate but I wish her well in her project.

Mudpie
03-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I did post both my cats' info to the young lady's project - Mishi is now almost 2x Mudpie's size :eek:

Bargoo I think you need to get another pet. ;)

Bill Shorts? I'm dreaming of a windbreaker rather than a parka right now. And shame on those ducks! :p

A new week. I have been OP for 3 days and lasted through the weekend! This week's project is a reduction in caffeine. I will substitute a cup of spice tea for my second coffee of the day and have an herbal tea in the late afternoon, rather than a caffeinated one.

I am now starting to actually believe that the house is sold and that there will be a first house of my own on the horizon. Making an appointment to talk to a lawyer about the closing helped nudge me along. :dizzy:

Good Monday all!

Dagmar :coolsnow:

WardHog
03-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Good morning, all. I think I am finally over the stomach virus so I am ready to start eating "normally" and exercising again. Fingers crossed that no one else in my house gets sick.

My cat is not orange but is still a bit fluffy. :-)

ICUwishing
03-04-2013, 09:17 AM
:wave: silver! Thanks for stopping by and giving us an update! No cats at my house, just bunnies. :)

Bill, it was 6F this morning when I got up. I've heard it will be in the 40s later this week. Maybe that will buy me some time to get my ankle-length down coat into the wash. I think I've worn it more this winter than in the past three years combined. Good to know that the ducks think spring will arrive soon! DS13, now studying reproduction in his biology class, mused the other day, "Can you imagine the chaos if humans went into heat once a year?" :lol3: DH laughed so hard he was actually snorting!

dagmar, it's good to hear that you're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel on the house thing! Bravo on the caffeine cutback, too!

ward, sending you positive thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery. :)

CherryPie99
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Morning all!

I sent DH a link to the blog as we have 10 cats and 4 are orange tabbies.

Had a great anniversary with DH yesterday - started out the day with an 11 mile run. Then we went out for a late lunch where I indulged a little but didn't go all crazy.

I leave for my conference on Wednesday and it will be difficult to find a healthy eating routine and exercise might prove to be a challenge.

It is freezing cold here this morning, but the weather people are promising more moderate temps later this week. Spring just cannot come soon enough!!!

Happy Monday everyone!

Jen

paperclippy
03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi Silver! Good to "see" you! Unfortunately I don't have any cats so I can't participate, but good luck to your young friend!

Bill, I am also eager for spring. At least we've had a couple sunny days now, after a week straight of overcast skies. It's amazing how much of a mood lifter it is to see the sun!

I think I may have caught the cold DH had last week. :mad: At least it only lasted a couple days for him, so hopefully there won't be anything too bad. Right now it's just a little bit of a sore throat.

This weekend DH and I assembled the cribs! I also took a trip to the fabric store and picked up some fabric for curtains and pillowcases (for chair cushions), which is about the extent of my sewing skills anyway. I made a pillowcase yesterday and felt very accomplished. :lol: Now all the crafty folks who sew their own clothes are laughing at me.

traveling michele
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Why do messages disappear!
It totally went away and I'm short of time this morning. Ugh....

The short of it-- pollen is everywhere here.

Jessica-- take care of yourself.

Fun birthday weekend for me. Up too many pounds. Gotta work hard.

That's the short version.... book fair and daughters coming home this/next week so going to be hectic!!

Sheila53
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Bill, what a great dream! It's funny, though, when it's July how quickly we forget how cold we were. But I can stand the heat better than the cold--at least that's what I tell myself now.

Silverbirch, hello again, and I look forward to participating in the cat research. I volunteer at an animal shelter so I have access to many cats if she needs additional.

Dagmar, congrats on the OP weekend.

Wardhog, glad you're feeling better and :crossed:

ICU, :lol: and greeted each other the way dogs do.

Jen, sounds like an excellent anniversary--more activity, less eating.

Jessica, I'm impressed with creating pillowcases and cushions. What's the fabric look like? Pink, right? :)

Michele, pollen, already? The arrival of pollen for me just means that cool stuff is blooming, but I feel for those (like my DS) who are miserable.

A friend invited me to go see Pilobus on Saturday night--her treat. They are an awesome modern dance troupe, and if they come to a venue near you, I urge you to go see them. It's incredible and amazing to watch that limber group of dancers--they do stuff you think is impossible. They had some fun numbers, some acrobatic numbers and some sensual numbers. My DH thought my friend had invited him, too, and you should have seen his face brighten when I told him she'd only asked me. :lol: Some people just don't appreciate "kultur!"

alinnell
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Silver, I'll participate! Not only do I have a cat, but I have an Orange Tabby! And he's really skinny! I'll have to do the measuring tonight and fill out her questionnaire.

I'm running a little late this morning and am so busy I can't really comment on everything.

It was beautiful here this weekend! 82 degrees and made for the perfect back yard party for MIL's non-birthday (Feb 29 so no real birthday this year, LOL). Sunday was golf in the afternoon, and perfect shorts weather. We're currently under a wind advisory, but it's still warm and nice and the wind keeps the sky clear.

Shannon in ATL
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Birchie! Hey there! I have firsthand knowledge of 9 cats and will go report on all of them right now. :)

Sheila - I looked up the dance troupe, looks interesting.

Michele - we have pollen all over here, as well. A few days in February broke records for the month.

Ward - I hope the virus is really gone for you. It has been a hard season for illness around here.

Jessica - cribs! How exciting! I saw your pillow pic, it looks fantastic. :)

Jen - sounds like a great anniversary! I love that you started it with a long run.

Becky - reading your morning temp made me shiver in sympathy.

Dagmar - scheduling a closing attorney really makes it all feel real. Congratulations. :)

Bill - we got a spit of snow this weekend and it was freezing this weekend, I thought about you and shoveling snow for exercise. I hope spring comes along soon for you. :)

We had a busy busy weekend. Celebrated DH's birthday in a long round. Friday night with DSS, Saturday lunch with MIL, Saturday dinner with our neighbors, Sunday dinner with a coworker and his wife. We have one more out meal on Wed for the neighbor's birthday, then I hope to be back to normal. And, back to normal tonight and tomorrow. I'm a pound up from Friday, which is actually down from yesterday. I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring.

Megan1982
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Morning all,

It has been very cold, er, for here for a solid week combined with approaching gale force winds. It's really the wind that gets me. Brrr. On Saturday I ran my first 5K in about 5 years. It was a little painful and really tough in the wind, but I had a few friends doing it with me and most of us kept close to each other for the run. I feel like I'm getting a little more fit, but at a snail's pace. But as long as I'm moving forward, I just need to keep moving. The cookoff was a lot of fun and the fire department made a pretty good profit (all volunteer fire department - they depend on this event for most of their finances for the year). I drank mimosas and some beer Saturday during the day, but didn't enter a bar once during the weekend or end up going out later, though my friend who was staying with me did. It was too late for me. I can't party like I used to. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. :dizzy:

I am as usual trying to get to grips with upcoming events and keep eating my veggies and exercising in the meantime. I'll have book club, at least one guitar night this week, leave early Sunday for a work conference out of town for 4 days, come home to clean up for my parents' annual spring break visit... you know, life. Today I feel like I just need to take one day at a time and get in one workout at a time to get through.

Michele, sorry your message disappeared. I hate that. Glad you had a fun birthday weekend!

Jessica, sounds like your nursery is coming along nicely. Curtains and pillows is about the extent of my sewing ability, too. Being able to hem pants and sew buttons back on is handy, too. I don't know how to sew clothes. Who does? They can laugh at me, too.

Jen, glad you had a nice anniversary weekend. I'm impressed by your 11 mile run!

Becky, I can't post my response to your son's query. It's not PG. But what a funny thing for him to say.

Ward, glad you are feeling better. Stomach virus, ugh. Not fun.

Hi Silver! I don't think the feral cats on my street would submit to weighing and measuring, but what a fun science project. I wish I could help.

Have a good week all.

Tudor Rose
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm so tired of winter! Yesterday I went running through the snow :-P

I have two cats (neither orange tabby), so I was more than happy to fill out the form. My cat Chloe weighs twice as much as Linus!

Sheila53
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
It's hard to measure the length of the cat. And I was disturbed to see that she's lost weight. :( It's hard to tell with so much fur, but, as we all know, the scale does not lie (assuming it's not broken).

silverbirch
03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
You are all so generous and kind. :grouphug: Thank you very much.

midwife
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi Silver! I have an obese dog? Would that be helpful? :lol:

(and, yeah, there's the saying, "If your dog is overweight, you do not get enough exercise." Can't dispute that one)

Shannon in ATL
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Becky - I missed the question from your DS, had to reread when Megan mentioned it. That made me snicker. :)

alinnell
03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Becky - I missed the question from your DS, had to reread when Megan mentioned it. That made me snicker. :)

Me too!

ICUwishing
03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
It is pretty funny when you think about it. For critters that are in heat only once or twice a year, they really lose it - forgetting to eat, not even bothering to look when they cross the road, horrible fights ... imagine going to work! You'd need national holidays, or something! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Of course I'm now jumping to Star Trek pon farr comparisons. LOL

CherryPie99
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Subcommander T'Pol: I'm hungry.
Dr. Phlox: Our meals will be here soon.
Subcommander T'Pol: I wasn't referring to food.

Shannon in ATL
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Subcommander T'Pol: I'm hungry.
Dr. Phlox: Our meals will be here soon.
Subcommander T'Pol: I wasn't referring to food.

Subcommander T'Pol: You don't find me attractive?
Dr. Phlox: Of course I do. But that is not the issue.

(I love getting my geek on, Jen. :) )

saef
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Birchie! I got so excited when I saw your Renaissance period avatar on the forum again. How good to hear from you & to get news of snowdrops and gamboling lambs.

I don't own a cat, but I'd put in statistics regarding beloved Fritz, my mother's cat, only I don't know his length, just his weight. He'd belong to your non-tabby control group, as he's a tuxedo cat, or probably, an American Long Hair.

I'm experiencing a few days of weight creeping upward, not coincidentally due to job stress as I try to learn how to manage people in my new position while also still writing short, quickly published news-related documents, for which I remain responsible despite my promotion. This has meant almost no leisure for visiting the boards and being way behind when I do check updates.

Birchie, please stay a while. Or at least return more frequently.

silverbirch
03-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Thank you for your warm words. :hug:

I'd like to raise the subject of change. I realise that I'm very interested in it.

The DB (to be 13 in May) was talking to me yesterday about the future and I heard myself saying (from my great age of to be 58 in August) that one should be organised and also flexible in order to experience and take advantage of some of the opportunities that appeared through life. I gave him a few examples from my life of how a change encounter had lead on to a path which resulted in something really great: a career, a love affair or whatever.

For me, moving with change is the focus. Whether it's a loss of some kind, some "life and death" situation, or work or travel or whatever it is, I want to be there with it. I don't see these things as "curveballs" or "just life": they are interesting and potentially life-changing things which I want to experience rather than battle. This is why I have no interest in "challenges" or "dieting on a short string" types of approaches. They work for other people but they don't work for me. They seem so brutal.

As I dip in and out of reading at 3FC, I can see that other people are also interested in this kind of thing. JayEll in the past and saef recently,

All I know is, the more that I try to get the stimulus of color, creativity, connoisseurship, warmth and laughter from stuff other than food, the happier I am with myself.And there are others of you too.

I've looked at the Beck Diet Solution (which works for Bill in maintenance) and it's interesting but much of the tone jars with me. The voice of the guru is too loud and - brace yourselves - too American for me. I do not share many of the experiences or the language: they are barriers.

I'm raising these points partly as an explanation as to why I don't post here any more and partly as, perhaps, the beginning of a conversation about this subject of change.

Anyway, sending you all good vibes. I must go and paint two beams in a very confined space. #flexibilityneeded And then, saef again - modified,

write a short, quickly published news-related document.love, love

Mudpie
03-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Silverbirch I have always regarded yours as one of the "wise" voices here.

"All I know is, the more that I try to get the stimulus of color, creativity, connoisseurship, warmth and laughter from stuff other than food, the happier I am with myself."

I too am finding myself leaning toward the sentiments in the above quote. But I admire and like many of the people here and will continue to post as they are my "friends" in the world (other than dogs :lol:).

I find I am not about the specifics of every day so much any more (1 lb. up, I lb. down, # of cals consumed for the day, etc.) as I am about the whole experience of not focussing on food as "life" but rather having it be part of life.

I am not a clear writer like yourself, Jayell, or saef, but I hope I am adequately expressing that my point of view seems to be changing in the same direction as some other long time maintainers.

Cheers! and I hope you will post from time to time, just to say hello!

Dagmar :dizzy:

Megan1982
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Morning all,

The great wind tunnel continues down here. My cheeks are actually wind burned. I ended up working until 7 pm yesterday and had no time or sunlight to exercise in. I want to feel guilty, but sometimes that is just the reality of my job, and I think I'm too tired to feel guilty anyway. I will try to move more today. I'm eating my healthy breakfast, packing my healthy lunch, eating my veggies with dinner, and not snacking too much. And am too busy to do more than that. Part of me wants to feel guilty, but I think this is an ok maintenance place. I'm focusing on things besides food right now. Since it's hard for me to stop thinking about food, I'll take it for right now.

BF just told me his sis & BIL are in town for about 2 days. I don't really care to see them. BF says he doesn't either after some recent incidents. But I conveniently have choral rehearsal and book club the next two nights, and work all day, which I told BF. BF said "great! maybe I won't go see them either!" How messed up his family members are makes me hurt for him.

Silver, I have been striving to be more flexible in recent years. I don't always do it well, but I agree it's a good goal and I will keep working on it. Yes, we miss you! Stay and play! I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Saef, can't you delegate those reports? JK. Sort of.

Jen, Shannon, another Stark Trek nerd here. Actually BF and I discovered some time after we started dating that we were both ST nerds. Your quotes made me snicker.

I need to go get working on a presentation. Have a good day everyone.

ICUwishing
03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Dagmar, ditto. I can't say it any better than you did. When I recently decided that I've achieved my weight loss goal, it was less an expression of "the number on the scale is where I want it" and more of a short way to say, "I'm done with focusing on weight loss, because I want to spend more time on other aspects of life and health".

silver, I also hope that you will find some time now and then to drop by and provide your unique and valued perspective. You are missed! Life truly is what happens to you while you're making other plans. :D Best to lean back and enjoy the ride!

saef, it's good to see you again, too! I wondered if you were buried in your job. Agree it's hard to just stop in here and catch up quickly - we maintainers are sometimes livin' life on fast-forward!

megan, good luck with your presentation. Glad you have prior plans and can dodge the family; BF probably doesn't need that aggravation either. Maybe the two of you can devote that time to doing something special together. ;)

Jen and shannon - love the ST exchange! :D

March 1 I had a "little incident" with a piece of Plexiglas construction debris - in the process of moving the very smooth piece with sharp edges, the end result was a 4" slash down my cheek. It's more of a deep scratch than an actual cut and though it bled like a SOB for more than a half hour, it seems to be healing nicely. I probably won't be able to hide it with makeup for another week, so I am left with a need for a good story. "Bar fight" is a bit out of character for me, and "tried to take food away from the rabbits" doesn't fit the dimensions of the damage. :D Ideas?

traveling michele
03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Becky-- Ouch! I like both of your ideas! Bar fight with rowdy rabbits?

alinnell
03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Becky, be careful! A friend on my Labrador chat board recently got scratched by his dog and had to have 16 stitches in his forehead! I can't imagine having a dog with such sharp nails!

I'm going to do a little revamp on my signature which includes either deleting or changing my ticker. I'm not happy with the change, but it is what it is.

BTW, I actually had to look up the ST reference. Amazing all the info on it in Wikipedia! Now it makes me want to watch all the movies again. I think we own most of them.

Megan1982
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
March 1 I had a "little incident" with a piece of Plexiglas construction debris - in the process of moving the very smooth piece with sharp edges, the end result was a 4" slash down my cheek. It's more of a deep scratch than an actual cut and though it bled like a SOB for more than a half hour, it seems to be healing nicely. I probably won't be able to hide it with makeup for another week, so I am left with a need for a good story. "Bar fight" is a bit out of character for me, and "tried to take food away from the rabbits" doesn't fit the dimensions of the damage. :D Ideas?

Say you had some incident where you were outside feeding the rabbits, and some creature tried to come eat them, and you had to defend the rabbits. Like a bigfoot, or a panther.

Yes, I watch the show "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet. It is endlessly entertaining. I love the bigfoot calls they do. How do they know what a bigfoot call sounds like?

ICUwishing
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
michele - that's not a bad idea! I could see tiny Alcide, who is a belligerent, crabby @$$hole wrapped in a cute white package, starting a bar fight. :club:

traveling michele
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I have a lovely crick in my neck this morning. The joys of not having anyone in bed with me often (due to dh traveling). I woke up at 2:30 am and had no pillow. Dh was sleeping soundly on both his pillow and mine!

Shannon in ATL
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Becky - I'm fascinated by the bunny bar fight. I can see it taking off as a youtube video or a FB meme if we could find a way to animate it.

Megan - welcome to the ST club. :)

Saef - will those news related documents be delegated to someone else once the promotion settles in more or are they going to stay with you? I love promotions that drag along small, busy work tasks from the old job. I always vision it like riff raff caught in the wake behind a boat. No one really wants it so once it gets attached to something it stays with it.

Birchie - I struggle with the concept of change. I am very resistant to it, have been my entire life. It makes me feel defensive and out of control, maybe that is why I keep myself on the 'dieting on a short leash' idea. Honestly - I hate it. It makes me feel like the little elastic balls on the end of a paddle ball string. Instead of the tight control keeping me sane like I vision it more and more often lately throws me into mood swings and situations I can't handle. I need to learn how to flow with the change and enjoy it, embrace it even. I think I'm missing a lot of the things - I don't see happenings as events to experience, I definitely see them as a battle. How do I change that I wonder? And I also see you as a wise voice, I miss you around. :)

Michele - LOL at DH stealing your pillow. Hope your neck feels better.

Mudpie
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Becky The bunny's name is Alcide - anyone familiar with True Blood will see a strapping big buck. I like Megan's idea of you defending the bunnies - against a marauding raccoon maybe. Although that will get you people telling you you need to get rabies shots immediately. :p

alinnell
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh, True Blood! I had to look up which guy he is. Now I remember!!

alinnell
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM
My daughter just posted to FB that she has been accepted into the master's program at Claremont Graduate University!!!!!!

CherryPie99
03-05-2013, 08:09 PM
True Blood and Star Trek discussions in the same thread??? I may have died and gone to heaven!!

Having anxiety about leaving for my trip tomorrow - which makes me eat nervously and mindlessly. Bad, bad, bad.

Off to pack and trying to stay out of the kitchen!!!!

bargoo
03-05-2013, 08:46 PM
My daughter just posted to FB that she has been accepted into the master's program at Claremont Graduate University!!!!!!

Good news !

BillBlueEyes
03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Congratulations for that master's program acceptance.

Sheila53
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Congratulations to your daughter, Allison!

ICUwishing
03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
This is Alcide. He's barely three pounds. Wish I had a broken bottle to pose next to him!

ChrisMohr
03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm back on track, back in focus! Whew. Restaurant week continues and I am actually losing a little weight as it happens!!! I isolate the restaurant experience and otherwise eat strictly dietary-like. This is still fairly new for me. Usually I eat well at a restaurant and then say what the hgell I'll just eat three cvandy bars at 7-11 while I'm at it. Not this time. It's becoming something of a habit too...

Steph7409
03-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Allison, congrats to your daughter.

Becky, I think you need to work the idea of disapproving rabbits into your story. Or perhaps some sort of Watership Down reference.

Chris, good job with restaurant week!

My cat Zack (brother to the much-missed Grommet) had ear surgery yesterday and is wearing a cone. He's a nuzzler, so it's very hard on him. I have to keep rubbing his head and his face. He's supposed to wear it for 2 weeks!

I have my first appointment with a therapist tomorrow after work. I suppose I should be thinking about what I'm hoping to get out of this. An increased capacity to cope with change, maybe.

Mudpie
03-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Chris Great that you're making the mental shift to maintenance (and losing weight at restaurant week) :cp:

Allison :congrat: to your daughter. I'm sure she will be up to the challenge of the program, and hopefully have some fun while there too!

I came up with a little analogy (probably a bit flawed as most are) about maintenance and how I now perceive it.

It's kind of like learning to drive, for me. At first I was really nervous and anxious :eek: and afraid that I'd make a lot of mistakes. I never, ever took my hands off :faint: the steering wheel (to put on the radio, roll down a window, etc.) for the first couple of months. I barely felt in control of the car most of the time. :stress:

Then I started to get physically used to how the car felt and more confident :strong: with my skills in piloting it around. I was still mentally quite afraid of making mistakes :o and also quite anxious but my confidence with the physical side of things eased that as well. :high:

Gradually driving became a habit. I'm in and out of the car for about 8 hours a day so I had to accept this as a large part of my life and deal with it. My confidence grew :dancer: and most things became routine. I learned to cope with bad weather, driving while under emotional stress, etc. :yoga:

I still very occasionally have moments where I have to slam on the brakes :yikes: but they are now very infrequent. Most of the time I don't really have to think about the mechanics of driving. I still have to be aware and make decisions regarding where I'm going. But it's now a regular part of life, rather than the combat experience I first felt it to be. :D

WardHog
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Congratulations to your daughter, Alison!

I like your analogy, Dagmar.

And Becky, I keep thinking of Monty Python's attack rabbits! "We'll not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!"

paperclippy
03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Allison, congrats to your DD! Sad how when I think of someone going to Claremont for school all I can think of is the places I used to go eat there. :lol: I wonder if Patty's burritos is still around?

Becky, cute bunny!

We had a minor snowstorm yesterday evening. It was coming down pretty hard on our way home from work, but we only ended up with about 3 inches overall which is no big deal around here. Carter enjoyed romping around in the snow this morning.

traveling michele
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Congrats Allison! I'm so happy for you and her!

I like the analogy Dagmar, but I have to remember to pay attention and not just coast along or I may hit something!

Cute bunny Becky! Not too ferocious looking!

Steph-- why did your kitty have ear surgery? Good luck with the cone! And the therapist.....

Tudor Rose
03-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Woo hoo! :carrot:

Shannon in ATL
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Congrats to DD, Allison!

ChrisMohr
03-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Alinell, An old girlfriend of mine did grad school at Clarement and loved it. One of the happiest years of her life.

Keep on maintaining everyone!!

Steph7409
03-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I had my therapist appointment after work and it was very disappointing. I was there for an hour and a half and I felt like I learned more about her than she did about me, as she kept going off on tangents about herself. A nice woman, but not what I'm looking for (honestly, I want someone younger). So I was vague about making another appointment and said I'd call her. Should I let her know I'm not interested, or just not call? I hate this sort of thing!

Michelle, this is the second ear surgery poor Zack has had. He got a bad ear infection last spring and it's been a huge (expensive) hassle - many rounds of antibiotics, then surgery to fix the big hematoma he got from shaking his head so much, and now this ear resection which basically took out all the swollen tissue that was trapping the bacteria. Ick. He's doing great, though - eating well, doesn't seem to be in any pain. He's a super sweet cat so I just want him to be healthy.

This week is flying by. I'm feeling pretty good. Yay, Zoloft!

alinnell
03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone for kudos on DD's accomplishment!

Steph, so sad about the therapist. Yeah, I wouldn't go back. Weird.

And they do make a blow-up collar that is more comfortable, look into that!

Mudpie
03-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Steph

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045Y1JGQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005JXE5ZE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=176Z220V3GN0ZMF5NAF2

there's another one also available called the "boobooloon"

bargoo
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
My neighbor had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. She was there several days She has a darling little Yorkie, a relative came and took care of Sarah while Maria was in the hospital. Sarah refused to eat, they got permission from the hospital to bring Sarah and her food to Maria's room so she would eat.

Shannon in ATL
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Steph - I had a therapist like that once. Don't go back, and you don't have to explain why to her.

Tudor Rose
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
The last few days have been emotionally rough. Lots of personal issues from waaaaaay back in the past coming back, so the discussion about the therapist is especially hitting home since I spent most of yesterday looking into options and how my insurance will work. I think I spent the past two years focusing so much on the inside I was able to ignore the problems on the inside, but now that I'm done with that it's time to deal with the other problems that aren't so obvious.

Mudpie
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Bulut (the dog from Istanbul) has found a home. Foster mom decided to keep her. This is a good thing. :D

Dagmar :brr: (what, more snow? :eek:)

traveling michele
03-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Steph-- definitely keep looking. There is the right person out there for you. I've heard of dogs needing ear resections, but not cats. Poor guy!

Tudor Rose-- hugs to you. I think many of us think that once we lose the weight we will automatically be happy. It is disheartening when that doesn't happen. I personally think that is one reason so many people regain. It is crucial that you address whatever issues are on the inside for yourself.

krampus
03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
alinnell - I doubt your DD is going for Asian studies but my uncle is a professor there. His specialty is Japanese gardens...

bargoo
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Bulut (the dog from Istanbul) has found a home. Foster mom decided to keep her. This is a good thing. :D

Dagmar :brr: (what, more snow? :eek:)

Happy for Bulut and happy for foster mom as well.

Tudor Rose
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Tudor Rose-- hugs to you. I think many of us think that once we lose the weight we will automatically be happy. It is disheartening when that doesn't happen. I personally think that is one reason so many people regain. It is crucial that you address whatever issues are on the inside for yourself.

Oh, without a doubt that's why I gained the weight back when I lost 50 lbs in college so I know the importance of taking the necessary steps to address this head on. Last time I ignored the problems so much I got up above 300 pounds. No way I'm letting that happen again this time. With my weight I'm where I want to be so now it's time to focus on everything else.

Steph7409
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Dagmar, for that link. Looks much more comfortable. (I always think of Kongs as the big chewable dog toys. I see they've branched out!) Zack is doing better with the cone and is recovering really well.

And thanks to all for confirming my choice to keep looking for another therapist. Psychology Today has an online listing where the therapists put blurbs about themselves. It's a little embarrassing how quickly I dismiss some of them and for what reasons - too hokey, too spiritual, too young. I found one that appeals and am going to contact her.

krampus, what a cool specialty for your uncle. Many years ago, I went on a garden tour that included a Japanese garden in Loudonville somewhere. It was spectacular. So ordered and peaceful. My own garden is a hodgepodge and is more evidence of my compulsive nature.

Tomorrow I see the orthopedic doc (who happens to be a former client, though not one I knew well). I'm not overly optimistic but maybe there's something I can do about my bum leg.

And then the weekend - yay! I've been staying up too late all week and need to catch up on my sleep. And I've got the second half of Season 3 of Fringe to watch on DVD. (Hmmm, those two things might conflict. ;))

Mudpie
03-08-2013, 06:45 AM
I had a day yesterday that was like a roller coaster near the end - up and down, up and down.

I had a call about my father in the late afternoon, just before DH and I were heading out to meet the realtors. :eek: He is still on about the house, even though he's now agreed to go into a long term care facility. He's going to try to call me today to demand legal documents. I will not answer.

DH and I met with the realtors last night and sorted out the buying process to our satisfaction. This should have been a positive, happy experience. Instead I was concentrating on keeping my breathing even as I kept wanting to burst into tears due to the anxiety brought on by my father.

Then we went for dinner. I had 2 beers with dinner (I never drink on work nights) to calm me down enough to get through dinner. Didn't even taste my food.

Then I did some more stress eating when we got home.

I hate how this evil abusive man still can provoke enough anxiety in me to make me run for the food. And alcohol.

20 more days 'til the houses closes. 20 more days. I HAVE to get through this.

Dagmar :mad: :tired: :faint:

BillBlueEyes
03-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Sending twenty days of virtual hugs to Dagmar for twenty days of serenity.

I'm thinking of you this morning as the snow continues to come down and accumulate. Hope you're able to get out with your charges.

ICUwishing
03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
dagmar, ditto what Bill said! :hug: When you're going through ****, the only real option is to keep going. :) Count down the hours to the 28th if you have to, and pick just a few minutes each day to marvel at your strength and tell yourself something positive. There's a lot of life to be had at the other side of this blip in time.

ChrisMohr
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Hang in there Dagmar! Wishing everyone a good weekend...

traveling michele
03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Hang in there Dagmar!! This too shall pass.....

I'm stressing over a silly thing today. I know I can't workout today. Dd is coming home and wants to get sushi. The place we go has gotten wildly popular so if you don't go EARLY, you have to wait forever. So, I have been TOLD that I can't go to yoga because we wouldn't get there until at least 6:45 if I did. I'm setting up for my book fair today so there will be tons of boxes moved-- I've got my pedometer on and hoping to get my exercise in that way.

In other news, Dewey the Dachshund is two today. We are planning a celebration for him this weekend that includes going to a doggy friendly restaurant (we sit outside), some new chew toys, and lots of playing with Owen (my dd's service dog that is coming home with her).

I'm worried about Gary. Has anyone heard anything further? Still fervently praying.

alinnell
03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
No news on Gary's FB page. I'm not friends with Angie, so if she's written an update I can't see it. They said he'd be in the hospital at least 5 extra days due to the infection, but that was as of Saturday. I hope he's doing well.

So we ate a little off plan last night. It was cold and stormy all day and it just felt like a soup night. I'm sure I could have chosen a better soup choice, but clam chowder sounded so good. With a fresh loaf of bread (wanted either sourdough or pumpernickel, but settled for something "rustic"). Really, does that sound so bad? I didn't think so, but my scale was up 6.1 pounds! 6.1! Ridiculous.

DD is home for the weekend! I haven't seen her yet as she got in after i was asleep and I left for work before she woke up, but she's coming to the office later this morning and we might take her for lunch.

bargoo
03-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Michele, latest news on Gary is what Allison referred to. I worry about those infections that one gets in the hospital. I am going to assume that he is getting the best of care and Angie will let us know on another forum, I check it everyday for news of Gary,

traveling michele
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I've been checking Gary's facebook page for updates too. No updates worry me.

Wow Allison! Guessing that was some salty soup!

Dd is hopefully bringing me lunch today after my book fair set up. Dd #2 comes in tomorrow, which also worries me. More off plan meals, harder to get my workouts in, arguments over lack of cars, girls not getting along....

Anyone care to guess how many steps I'll clock today for my book fair set up? It's 8:41, I'm already hot and sweaty, and my volunteers don't arrive until 9:00. We have to be done and ready for previews by 11:00.

bargoo
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Michele. you can get in 10,000 steps , no problem !

ICUwishing
03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
allison, 6.1? My gosh, that has to be some sort of record! Dang!

Mudpie
03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
allison, 6.1? My gosh, that has to be some sort of record! Dang!

When did you last change the battery on your scale Allison? My DH got the shock of his life when he stepped on the scale and had gained 106 lb.. Talk about your food binge :p. We changed the battery and he was up 1.6 lbs.

Dagmar

alinnell
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
When did you last change the battery on your scale Allison? My DH got the shock of his life when he stepped on the scale and had gained 106 lb.. Talk about your food binge :p. We changed the battery and he was up 1.6 lbs.

Dagmar

I haven't changed them yet. They're less than 3 months old. I'd think they'd last longer than that! I really dislike that it takes batteries. My old Thinner scale didn't require them at all.

I'll try it again tomorrow and if it's way off, then I'll know. But up until today, it's been weighing me in at EXACTLY the same weight every day for at least a week. (At least I'm maintaining! LOL)

Now that we've been in our new building for a week, I have decided that having a new phone number is a horrible thing! It's as if EVERY company out there thinks that we need 1) payroll assistance, 2) credit card management (we don't take credit cards), 3) a new website, 4) NEW Federal and State posters regarding the labor laws and stuff (as if we were a new business and didn't know we had to display such stuff), 5) insurance assistance, 6) 401(k) assistance, etc., etc. ad naseum. It's to the point that I don't want to answer the phone!

That and the call forwarding on our old number doesn't work very well in that roughly half of those who call the old number come through with such static on their end that I can only hear a robotic voice--but not what the caller is saying (but they hear me just fine). I've called Verizon and the tech tried to duplicate the problem several times and couldn't do it.

Steph7409
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Allison, how irritating about the phone! Long ago, I decided to just hang up on all telemarketers/sales calls. I don't even bother to say I'm not interested, I just hang up. I don't feel that I have any moral obligation to be polite to people who are interrupting my life. But more importantly - how are the kitties settling in?

Dagmar, you'll get through this. I hope you find the house you want and deserve.

Michelle, what was the final tally on your steps?

I saw the orthopedic doc today and he told me I have an arthritic hip that's causing all the trouble. I was surprised, as I was so sure it was more of a soft tissue problem (the physical therapists I saw last year thought so, too - aargh). So the only fix is hip replacement surgery, which I think I'll probably do in the not too distant future. I want to stay active and mobile, and this is only going to get worse so it seems like the only choice.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

WardHog
03-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I used to let my daughter answer all telemarketing calls. She would chat to them forever, about anything, and they would hang up on her. :lol:

bargoo
03-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I am on the DO Not Call List so I seldom get calls but before that time I would just hang up as soon as they started their spiel. One time I did that and she immediately called me back and told me I shouldn't hang up if I didn't want to talk and then she hung up on me !

alinnell
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Allison, how irritating about the phone! Long ago, I decided to just hang up on all telemarketers/sales calls. I don't even bother to say I'm not interested, I just hang up. I don't feel that I have any moral obligation to be polite to people who are interrupting my life. But more importantly - how are the kitties settling in?

I think I make most telemarketers mad. I'll let them give me their whole spiel and then I say no thanks and hang up! I especially dislike paid professional fundraisers. No way in heck will I give them my money! And really, when I say I have no need for something (credit card merchant account) why do I have to explain WHY? Isn't "we don't take credit cards" enough? (Although telling them that we aren't a retail store usually gets them off the phone.)

Culley kitty was on a real rampage today. He kept asking to be let out into the warehouse. We finally shut the overhead doors and put him out there to explore. I think he really wanted to escape, but we're just not quite ready to let him go. He spent 15 minutes in the warehouse before I brought him back in, but he still meowed like crazy. All this week, he'll be quite vocal for an hour or so and then tuck away for a 4 hour (or more) nap. Today he was vocal and busy for over 5 hours before he finally wore himself out and went for his nap.

We will try to catch Mama kitty in a week or so. After dealing with Culley today, we KNOW there is no way we can have her indoors.

neurodoc
03-08-2013, 11:18 PM
From Scott Abel, a wise man and personal training "guru" whose blog I read from time to time comes this thought, which really resonates with me. I have to say, this is what maintaining often feels like to me:

"It's what psychologist Judith Rodin, president of The University of Pennsylvania called “the normative obsession of American Women.” From pre-adolescence onward this “normative female obsession” is a psychological fear of fat that combines itself with restrictive eating and fear of food as well. And counter-intuitively, women of all ages begin to “feel” that if you just get “thin enough” then you will stop thinking about it. Only you never DO stop thinking about it, no matter where you are in your current Yo-yo weight range – and self-esteem ebbs and flows according to how your body ebbs and flows to the low or high range of body-weight fluctuations. But meantime, this “normative obsession” – keeps emotionally exhausting all women who get caught up in its vortex. This isn’t wellness, this isn’t fitness, this isn’t balance – regardless of how the body “appears” – what it is - is endless psychological exhaustion and this exhaustion eventually reveals itself in some area of your life -> mental, emotional, or physical – or worse in your interpersonal relationships. You don’t “diet your way out of it” – you “dieted your way into it.”

Steph: get a second opinion. I don't know how old you are, but it's a rare person who needs a hip replacement before age 60.

Dagmar: I am a geriatric neurologist who deals with dementia patients and their families every week. I have to say, you probably have one of the most stressful elderly parent situations I've ever heard of. You have my deepest respect for surviving your stresses with not only sanity but even your weight maintenance intact.

Mudpie
03-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I used to let my daughter answer all telemarketing calls. She would chat to them forever, about anything, and they would hang up on her. :lol:

:rofl:

Dagmar :lol3:

Tudor Rose
03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Dagmar: So sorry to hear about your stressful situation. Just try to find a few minutes each day to focus on YOU!

Michele: Happy birthday Dewey! That's so cute you are having a party. I always celebrate my cats' "adoption day" with toys for each of them.

Speaking of my cats, it's nice enough here in Cleveland to have the windows cracked home and the birds are chirping and my cat Linus came RUNNING into the bedroom when he heard them! I think it's supposed to get cold again next week, but tomorrow is one of my days for running and the weather is going to be beautiful!

bargoo
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
News from Gary.
His wife Angie reports,Gary has been released from the hospital and is in a skilled nursing facility for at least 8 days . He has a feeding tube and is on a liquid diet. He has C-Diff infection.

: C-Diff and these are my (Bargoo)comments. C-Diff is a bad infection that is found in hospitals, rest homes and the like. My Ex had it.

silverbirch
03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I am so very sorry that Gary has this. C. diff. - chloridium difficile - caught in hospital, was the cause of my father's death.

saef
03-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I was very afraid of this having happened to Gary, but I am going to try to stay positive about this. Am thinking of him today and wishing Angie strength, as I am sure she must be worried sick.

bargoo
03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I am so very sorry that Gary has this. C. diff. - chloridium difficile - caught in hospital, was the cause of my father's death.

My Ex, too. Gary is getting a lot of antibiotics to try and stop it.

JayEll
03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
"the normative obsession of American women"

Just had to log on to say that the description neurodoc posted is what I have seen too much of on 3FC, and why I haven't been posting. I'm lucky that I came by and saw it. This is not the way I want to live.

Jay

Steph7409
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
neurodoc, thanks for that excerpt. It does indeed resonate.

And I'm almost 55. My leg pain started maybe 8 years ago and has gotten progressively worse, and seeing the xray made it clear why. The part of my hip that's supposed to be round is pretty flattened, so there's no way I can get anything like full range of motion. A side effect of a lifetime of obesity, probably. But you're right, I should get a second opinion when I get closer to making a decision.

WardHog, having your daughter chat with the telemarketers is brilliant.

TudorRose, it wasn't quite warm enough here to have the windows open today but I know what you mean about cats and open windows - mine too come running the first time I open them in the spring. They love the olfactory and auditory rush.

Speaking of birds, I have two pairs of cardinals visiting my feeder these days. Such lovely creatures.

Don't forget to spring ahead tonight!

Mudpie
03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
DH is all caught up in the house pre-shopping :p now. Yesterday we did bungalows - today semis! I'm letting him have a few days respite from doing taxes and studying taxes. Tomorrow he's back at it. :rollpin:

I sprang ahead by waking up @ 3:30 - one of my "usual" times when daylight savings is in reverse. Now I'll be getting up @ 4:30 or 5 - much better. And I'll be able to stay up with the big kids until 10 p.m. :lol:

Did I mention this getting older stuff blows (much of the time).

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the Gary update. While it still sounds terribly serious, I'm hoping that the fact that they released him from the hospital is a sign in the right direction.

My steps ended up being about 10,000. I really thought they'd be more!!

alinnell
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the update on Gary, bargoo. I was checking his FB page just before this. My Dad had C-diff for a few months after being in the hospital. He had terrible explosive diarrhea from it. Hope Gary gets better soon.