Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/154/125

Height: 5'2

Default Anyone not counting calories with success?

I feel that counting calories is causing me to obsess and forget my goal is health, not numbers. I'm going to quit counting calories for two weeks and see how my progress goes...ill focus my diet on high protein, lots of produce, and few whole grains. I'm curious to know, though, if any of you aren't counting calories or another strict plan with success. I just want to really focus on enjoying healthy foods without worrying about a number.
Tenoreo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I am not counting calories, because I obsess, too. And I also because I know for me it is not how I want to live my life. Read up about intuitive eating or look at Paul McKenna. This is working for me. It does require mindfulness and vigilance, but there isn't any formal tracking. It is a complete lifestyle approach.

However, you do have to be more accepting that your final weight may not be your currently desired final weight. But you will lose weight.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I do not count calories. I've lost my weight using an exchange plan. It's like the Food Mover Plan from Richard Simmons. I really like it. I think it's the basic food plan of the American Dietetic Association. It's balanced and can easily incorporate all/most things I want to eat.

I did, briefly, do calorie counting, but like food exchanges better. I am very comfortable with it.

Try different plans and see which one fits you the best.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-04-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #4  
Gizmo

I don't count calories, I simply eat healthier and make better choices. The key for me is to actually plan my meals, bring my lunch to work every day and buy healthy snacks only, mainly fruits and vegetables and some nuts. Portion control is also very important for me. I see it as changing how I eat for life and not just dieting. So far so good.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #5  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm not counting calories. Like you, I will obsess. Instead I am focusing on correct portion sizes and eating healthier. If I want chips (my weakness), then I have a serving size, and not on a day I have had other "treats". Moderation and portion control.
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I find that I overeat on exchange diets. If I'm going to measure everything anyway, I might as well record the calories/carbs. I do know approximate calorie/carb counts for most foods, so when I'm out for meals it's more like exchanges. I don't completely obsess, but I have in the past. Sometimes I have had to take a break from counting, too. I understand completely. When I do take a break, I make sure to weigh myself daily to make sure the weight isn't creeping back up again.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I find counting calories can definitely become a bit "obsessive" so I've been trying to move away from it... but unfortunately, I've been doing it for so long it becomes a bit hard to stop since I have a pretty good idea of how many calories are in what I'm eating, so I still find myself doing approximations in my head...

What I'm hoping to do though is really get away from it and just enjoy what I'm eating and not constantly be thinking about how many calories are in everything... but unfortunately, with my weight history I'm not sure that's going to be possible... but I'm hoping it is...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #8  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I don't think there's anything wrong with being 'calorie aware'. So you might want Food A OR Food B - either would be yummy and satisfying - but Food B is lower in calories. Or maybe Food B is about the same in calories, but much more nutritious overall. It's just about making informed choices.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

I've stopped calorie counting, but it's because I went Paleo in february. While it might seem restrictive to cut out processed foods and grains at first, it's really been amazing. I love being full, seeing the drop in the scale, eating well (and delicious foods!), and feeling great. But I also did calorie counting along this journey and had some success with that too. I think it's whatever is working for you in this moment, in your life...but that's just me.
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #10  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I'm calorie counting but doing a little more estimating this time around. I do weigh things when I can but if I'm out or at work and can't weigh my apple I just estimate instead of fretting over getting everything perfectly.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Red face

I've lost over 140 pounds by not counting calories. However, I do remain calorie aware, as I don't want to accidentally eat 1000+ calories in one meal. I read labels. I look up nutrition information for restaurants. I do my best to stay informed so I can make good choices. And in the past year, I've been keeping a food journal to stay mindful about my eating. I choose a lot of whole foods with healthy fats, but very few simple carbs. I avoid added sugar and overly-processed junk as much as possible. I eat a lot of fresh veggies every day. And I don't worry about actually counting calories. I've got anxiety issues and have found that tracking calories makes me obsessive and absolutely miserable.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #12  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

The last time I tried to lose weight I counted calories and became obsessive about it. I ended up quitting (out of frustration) and gaining back what I had lost (because I had the "I can't do this for the rest of my life" attitude).

This time, I'm trying an approach to be mindful of what I'm eating, eating smaller portions of anything that isn't a vegetable, and only having a couple bites of the really bad food.

So far it's been a lot easier on my mental state.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm not counting. Like so many others, I become obsessed and it consumes me. I end up spending my whole day trying to figure out everything and get so frustrated I can't stand it anymore. I'm eating primal and on day 6, with 4 pounds down just since starting. Before that, I lost 10 cutting out sugar and soda. It is working so much better for me and I don't feel like I'm starving.
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/154/125

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the input everyone! I know it'll be a bit harder at first, but I'm going to stick to designated eating times and focusing on 'clean' eating, ie, mostly produce, some lean meat/tofu/beans, and few whole grains.
Tenoreo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have never counted calories.

Beverlyjoy, would you mind sharing your exchange plan?
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote