Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Question Replacing calories after a run

Hi, I know I have seen this thread before but when i searched for it I got nothing, so would you mind linking me or helping me out?

So I went for my first jog today

I don't feel more hungry than usual and am just keepin on keepin on with my normal calorie counting routine. However now the amount of calories I have lost is significantly more than a normal day and I am worried if I eat my normal 1200 cal that I do every day it might end up being unhealthy.

Opinions?
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

One day won't matter... I think if you're not hungry than you shouldn't eat... I take my deficit where I can get it, so to speak... My experience when it comes to running is that I'm usually not hungry for a few hours afterwards, BUT then my appetite comes roaring back with a vengeance... making it pretty hard to maintain the deficit for the day...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #3  

So to clarify, I'l probably get hungry but I should still try and maintain my normal amount of calories? At least that's what you're doing?

I am fine maintaining my normal calories but I just don't want to starve myself.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

For short runs (under 2 hours for me these days), I don't eat back any of my calories burned. I have a snack after, but it's nothing I don't usually have, just maybe at a different time.

For long runs, I eat back some of the calories. I allow myself a beer on long run days. I also take in fuel while running (depending on the distance, I alternate honey stinger waffles and sports beans).

I do find that whenever I step up my running, I do want to eat everything for a while, but I ignore it and eventually my body adjusts. It usually only takes me a week.

I am no where near 1200 calories per day though. I'm in the 1800-2000 calorie range. I would eat the walls if I was only eating 1200 calories. LOL I run 20+ miles per week right now, and once I start marathon training, that number will just go up.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #5  

I would never eat for the sake of eating (i.e., if I'm not hungry, if I don't crave anything, etc.). But then again, I've never been one to buy into the notion of eating back exercise calories. I figure there will be times when I'll go over my calories, and those times will "make up" for the times when exercise puts me on the low end of calorie needs.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #6  

@Nikel_1979: Yeah, I have been training myself to say no now for the past 2 months and now i automatically stop eating at about 1200 to 1400 cals a day. Often my app yells at me because I have not eaten enough, and in that case I just eat another mall meal a few hours after what was to be my last meal of the day.

I am all for limiting eating but I am trying to be very cautious about not eating enough. So far it's working very well.

I don't want to eat back any of my calories I was just concerned that my body would hold onto some weight if I burned too much but did not replace it. I am running to further my loss, not hinder it, know what I mean?

@lin43: I totally agree. Its why when my app is like "ERMAHGERD UR NOT EATING ENUFF!!1!!one!" I always wait a while, until I am hungry again, before completing my diary.