Ideal Protein Diet - IP Weekend Chat Sat/Sun March 2-3, 2013

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 06:48 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)k

Spiritman
03-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Heading out to the family farm to do some visiting and snowmobiling. The weather is actually suppossed to be nice.

NSV - spent quite a bit of time yesterday hiking up my pants - my belt is on it's last hole and it may be time to put some suspenders on to keep my pants up. Not quite ready for a new (smaller) pants size just yet but awfully close.

IP43
03-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Heading out to the family farm to do some visiting and snowmobiling. The weather is actually suppossed to be nice.

NSV - spent quite a bit of time yesterday hiking up my pants - my belt is on it's last hole and it may be time to put some suspenders on to keep my pants up. Not quite ready for a new (smaller) pants size just yet but awfully close.

Someone told me yesterday it looked like I had a "hitch in my giddy-up" because I was walking a bit funny and that hit me as a funny expression. Now I can pass that saying on today too, 'cause that expression probably will suit you fine today, as you're walking around hitchin' up your britches all day!

M35A2
03-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Glad to see you're noticing the effects. It's not all about the scale, although it's always nice to see that move.

FutureFitChick
03-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi, Everyone!

Long time no post! I've been away writing.

I went to reorder IP supplements from PlainProtein.com http://www.plainprotein.com/supplements/natura-potassium/. It looks like the potassium supplement now being sold is the same as what I can buy locally. Does that seem to match what you are finding with your vendors? Where is the magnesium shifted to now that it is no longer with the potassium?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but I did not find it when I searched the forum.

Thanks!

Spiritman
03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Glad to see you're noticing the effects. It's not all about the scale, although it's always nice to see that move.

True on both counts.

ragdoll74
03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi, Everyone!

I went to reorder IP supplements from PlainProtein.com http://www.plainprotein.com/supplements/natura-potassium/. It looks like the potassium supplement now being sold is the same as what I can buy locally. Does that seem to match what you are finding with your vendors? Where is the magnesium shifted to now that it is no longer with the potassium?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but I did not find it when I searched the forum.

Thanks!

It's in the Cal-Mag supplements.

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi, Everyone!

Thanks!
I haven't purchased supplements since the change was instituted altho I "heard" about it.
Yay! I'm glad they took the excess calcium out!
There is still the cal/mag for magnesium.
Research has been coming out about probs with excess calcium.

When I think of things that can good for us but harmful in excess I think of nuts. They are uber-good for us! (in maintenance) I can't eat "one serving" and stop so nuts aren't good for me!

rubygirl05
03-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Good Morning!

I have a newbie question. I love lime and often use it for flavoring or marinating chicken/fish. I don't see lime on my approved IP food sheet, but I see mention of it in some of the threads and in IP recipes.

Is lime permissible in Phase 1?

Thanks in Advance!

IdealProteinNewbie
03-02-2013, 09:08 AM
DoingItDeb:
Regarding your menu yesterday...I don't think I saw that you used your oil. Definitely make sure you get that in!

FutureFitChick
03-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I haven't purchased supplements since the change was instituted altho I "heard" about it.
Yay! I'm glad they took the excess calcium out!
There is still the cal/mag for magnesium.
Research has been coming out about probs with excess calcium.

When I think of things that can good for us but harmful in excess I think of nuts. They are uber-good for us! (in maintenance) I can't eat "one serving" and stop so nuts aren't good for me!

I didn't think that calcium excesses were reached until 2 or 2.5 g/day. (The supplements provided only about 25% of that level.) Still, that is a huge cutback on the potassium, unless the previous form and this one have very different bioavailabilities.

Thanks!

M35A2
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Good Morning!

I have a newbie question. I love lime and often use it for flavoring or marinating chicken/fish. I don't see lime on my approved IP food sheet, but I see mention of it in some of the threads and in IP recipes.

Is lime permissible in Phase 1?

Thanks in Advance!

My coach said lemon and lime were permissible.

DoingitDeb
03-02-2013, 09:42 AM
DoingItDeb:
Regarding your menu yesterday...I don't think I saw that you used your oil. Definitely make sure you get that in!

Thank you...I did forget to oil. I will put it on my salad today.:D

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I didn't think that calcium excesses were reached until 2 or 2.5 g/day. (The supplements provided only about 25% of that level.) Still, that is a huge cutback on the potassium, unless the previous form and this one have very different bioavailabilities.
I'm doing some reading and found this:
In states where non-prescription potassium citrate is legal, the maximum allowable over-the-counter (OTC) dose for elemental potassium is regulated by the FDA to be no more than 100 mg (approximately 3% of the daily allowance).

That would explain the 99 mg dosage

Also found this:
potassium bicarbonate requires more dosing per day than potassium citrate. The dosing increases are due to potassium bicarbonate's propensity to be metabolized into bicarbonate in the liver.

This might explain the dose reduction from 800 mg potassium bicarb to 99 mg potassium cit

M35A2
03-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Thought this was cute in case anyone missed it:

http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/onebighappy/

chicagoboiler
03-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Happy Weekend!! I worked out for the first time yesterday and drank my shake right after for extra protein and this morning I am up 0.6lbs. I am not sure if it will level off eventually, but I was expectng the opposite on the scale.

I only did 30 minutes on the treadmill with intervals between walking and running. It was probably total 15 minutes running. will say, running with less weight on my body felt so much better and effortless than it did at 200+. I lost most of my weight in P1 with no exercise, but am now training for a 5k and also trying to get my DH and me in the mindset to workout when we go on maintenance.

Any personal patterns with adding working out in would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

MntRose
03-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Thought this was cute in case anyone missed it:

http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/onebighappy/

Thanks that's very cute!

Have a weigh in at work for our "Sooperfit" program, over all a bit disappointing in the way it was done in our store this year but oh well it will be over when I weigh in today. Still dealing with the big C and took something last night but it didn't really help, unless being more uncomfortable and slightly cramp-y is help and I don't know it ;)

Well I need to get moving along to work, hope everyone has a great weekend, looks beautiful out my window (cold just can't be seen thankfully lol)

tam67green
03-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I had a sort of ironic NSV recently. We have a family member that is getting married this summer in Nashville. Luckily, it's not immediate family (DH's cousin) because we can't go due to a prior commitment. Usually I'm not looking forward to having to buy a new dress, etc for a wedding. In the past, I HATED buying clothes and it always depressed me to have to buy a new dress because I had "outgrown" :mad: the dress I had worn to the last wedding I attended. Before I realized the conflict with dates, I was looking forward to buying a new dress. Oh well, it's sort of ironic, really. Of course, I will need to buy capris, shorts, and warm weather shirts, so some shopping will get done! :D

We are off the Udvar Hazy Center today--it's the annex to the Air and Space museum at the Smithsonian, but it's in northern Virginia instead of DC. I do like living in a place that is within a couple hours' drive of all the things that DC and Baltmore have to offer.

Have a great weekend!

TNmom
03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Good morning peeps :D I know we all talk about water weight and 1st week weigh ins are usually the biggest I cant wait for mine! I did what I said I would not do and stepped on the scale this morning. My initial weigh in was 214.(point something) :( and this morning on my scale I was 203.6. Keep in mind my initial weigh in was at night and I checked mine this morning. I weighed on my scale after my 1st weigh in that night and they only had a 1 lb difference. :carrot: Just the motivation I need to carry on through date night tonight. I'm already making my dressing to take. A steak with some steamed broccoli and a salad sounds like a winner to me!

**And kudos to whomever posted the choc shake/coffee/spinach/cinnamon recipe. I am enjoying mine right now and it is delicious.

3FC rules, this forum rocks, and its going to be a fabulous day.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Happy Weekend!! I worked out for the first time yesterday and drank my shake right after for extra protein and this morning I am up 0.6lbs. I am not sure if it will level off eventually, but I was expectng the opposite on the scale.

I only did 30 minutes on the treadmill with intervals between walking and running. It was probably total 15 minutes running. will say, running with less weight on my body felt so much better and effortless than it did at 200+. I lost most of my weight in P1 with no exercise, but am now training for a 5k and also trying to get my DH and me in the mindset to workout when we go on maintenance.

Any personal patterns with adding working out in would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

When you exercise your muscles retain some water to repair them...drink extra today and it will go away!

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Good Morning!

Is lime permissible in Phase 1? Thanks in Advance!

I asked my coach the same question as wanted to use for thai/mexican dishes. She said it was fine, but not to use to the extent you are allowed to use lemon (flavouring daily water). I have used for dinner dishes or a couple of times in homemade dressing. Hasn't seemed to affect me.

Good morning peeps :D I know we all talk about water weight and 1st week weigh ins are usually the biggest I cant wait for mine! I did what I said I would not do and stepped on the scale this morning. My initial weigh in was 214.(point something) :( and this morning on my scale I was 203.6. Keep in mind my initial weigh in was at night and I checked mine this morning. I weighed on my scale after my 1st weigh in that night and they only had a 1 lb difference. :carrot: Just the motivation I need to carry on through date night tonight. I'm already making my dressing to take. A steak with some steamed broccoli and a salad sounds like a winner to me!

**And kudos to whomever posted the choc shake/coffee/spinach/cinnamon recipe. I am enjoying mine right now and it is delicious.

Sounds like you are doing great! That is a great motivator isn't it? I was trying not to do daily weighing when I started, but lately I have been sneaking peaks. You just have to be able to "handle" the ups and downs.
For example yesterday I went from 178 up to 183 and back to 180. Yes I checked 3 times! Just be prepared that sometimes it goes way up and try not to let that get you down. I also love the chocolate drink with spinach when I am in a pinch or not feeling well and need my veggies. Most other times I like to make sure I am "eating" my 4 cups on my plate as I could eat more!

lcheech
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
What exactly does the cal-mag do? (sorry for the stupid question) I have it in liquid form.. And I haven't used it yet, cuz I'm scared of what it's going to taste like. (Can't swallow big pills... hense the liquid form) My coach gave me this electrolyte stuff, and I'm suppose to take a shot of that, I tried it once, and OMG will NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!! Soooooo NASTY! So I'm scared of the cal-mag stuff now. lol

Ojenchilada
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
H y'all! Cleaning house and doing laundry today. Boo. But took a break to change my avatar in celebration of losing 28 lbs since the last one was taken (25 on IP). Hope to get some time to chat later. Have a great OP day!

amberjules
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Hello fellow losers!

Had my 13th week weigh-in and I'm down another 2.2 lbs (body likes this number as this is the 4 time I've lost this exact amount) for a total of 41 lbs lost, 34.5 inches lost AND......SO EXCITED.....my fat now wows less than 100 lbs at 98.8. :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

When I started my fat mass weighed 136 lbs down to 98.8.:D
I've gained .4 lbs of lean muscle mass since starting and my visceral fat has dropped from 17 to 12.

I'm also 10 lbs away from meeting my mini goal of losing 20% of my body weight. My 3rd mini goal of being under 200 will come up quick after achieving my 2nd mini goal.....not too much longer!:carrot::carrot:

I'm just thrilled at how well the IP protocol works, how simple it is to follow with a little planning. Now it's just second nature to me.

I took the dive and switched to alternatives, about 60% right now, and will probably continue to purchase some IP products that I really love.

My birthday is the middle of May and if I keep losing about the same rate, 2.93 lbs on average a week, then I'll be down to a 180ish. Still high for my frame, but considering I was 257 on 11/27/12, that's great! I'm just more excited about my future and health.:dizzy:

bellasamimom
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I had so much fun last nigth. They gave me my meal with no sauce and just meat and beautiful steamed green beans. It was so yummy and then I saved my restricted for dessert and had the strawberry wafer. It was so cool to be able to enjoy the banquet and know I was eating what I was should be eating.

:carrot:

Enjoying the 80 degree day here in San Diego!!

jeffiner
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Good news for me! Ive officially lost 30 lbs! For some reason this is the number that makes it real for me..I've lost 20 lbs before many times, although not this fast..losing thirty just makes me really feel like I can do this for the long haul!

bellasamimom
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Hello fellow losers!

Had my 13th week weigh-in and I'm down another 2.2 lbs (body likes this number as this is the 4 time I've lost this exact amount) for a total of 41 lbs lost, 34.5 inches lost AND......SO EXCITED.....my fat now wows less than 100 lbs at 98.8. :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

I've gained .4 lbs of lean muscle mass since starting and my visceral fat has dropped from 17 to 12.

I'm also 10 lbs away from meeting my mini goal of losing 20% of my body weight. My 3rd mini goal of being under 200 will come up quick after achieving my 2nd mini goal.....not too much longer!:carrot::carrot:

I'm just thrilled at how well the IP protocol works, how simple it is to follow with a little planning. Now it's just second nature to me.

I took the dive and switched to alternatives, about 60% right now, and will probably continue to purchase some IP products that I really love.

My birthday is the middle of May and if I keep losing about the same rate, 2.93 lbs on average a week, then I'll be down to a 180ish. Still high for my frame, but considering I was 257 on 11/27/12, that's great! I'm just more excited about my future and health.:dizzy:

:bravo::cp:

bellasamimom
03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Good news for me! Ive officially lost 30 lbs! For some reason this is the number that makes it real for me..I've lost 20 lbs before many times, although not this fast..losing thirty just makes me really feel like I can do this for the long haul!

:cool: :carrot:

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Wow congratulations. I think you and me started around the same time too. You are doing so well. That was fast!

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello fellow losers!

Wa to go! It does work well! It's good to know alternatives are working out for you. I too may have to look at that in future for financial reasons. Have tried a couple different items, but it is always a little scary making sure you have the right numbers as don't want to mess with a good thing that is working already.

amberjules
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM

:bravo: FANTASTIC!!!!!!! Amazing how this diet makes it seem like we can actually reach our goal weight. I feel the same way too.

Keep going!!! You can do this!!

jeffiner
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Wow congratulations. I think you and me started around the same time too. You are doing so well. That was fast!

I started 1/12/13.. Also keep in mind that I lost 5 lbs before starting IP..
Its funny I felt like my weight had really stalled for a week or two , not completely but maybe .5 losses, then suddenly this morning whoosh...down to 237! Im amazed at how this plan has become second nature. I used to always be obsessed with eating, how much, when , where etc. Now I'm thinking about things other than my weight and food.
Also I love going food shopping now..my cart is filled with vegetables, and fruit for the kids..I'm happy with what I'm buying and don't feel ashamed about what Im putting on the register. If I stop and think I realize that I still look huge to others but I don't feel gross anymore...does that make sense?

amberjules
03-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Wa to go! It does work well! It's good to know alternatives are working out for you. I too may have to look at that in future for financial reasons. Have tried a couple different items, but it is always a little scary making sure you have the right numbers as don't want to mess with a good thing that is working already.

You know I felt the same way about alternatives too. It was such a scary thought to make sure I knew all of the information I could to make the best choices. With IP, you don't have to make those choices since it's already done for you. I did a lot of reading on here - there's some great threads on alternatives. Once you get the hang of it, it's really so simple and actually very empowering. I mean we're on this journey to lose weight, but to also make better choices for ourself, specially once we reach goal.

Here's the summary of the items to review when choosing alternatives:

Keep calories lower, like the IP products. 70-150, but 150 is really on the high end.
Calories from fat should be 30% or less.
Restricted is 9+ net carbs (net carbs = carb grams - fiber grams)
Unrestricted is 8 net carbs or less.
Protein should be high 12+ grams. I generally look for 15+.
No aspartame!

That's the main criteria I look for.

I recently discovered Quest Bars!!!! Yum, technically unrestricted because of the net carbs lower than 8, but calories are higher so I tend to look at it as a restricted unless I get in a power walk to lose the extra calories. Also made with Stevia. No junk.

rubygirl05
03-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Amberjules, thanks for summarizing your alternatives criteria, it's really helpful!

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I recently discovered Quest Bars!!!! Yum, technically unrestricted because of the net carbs lower than 8, but calories are higher so I tend to look at it as a restricted unless I get in a power walk to lose the extra calories. Also made with Stevia. No junk.

Not all of them are stevia sweetened. Only the 100% natural line. Read labels carefully and watch differences in cals, fat, net carbs between bars.
The lowest bar is 160 cals, which is why they are on my restricted list, no matter fat/net carbs
They ARE good tho. :)

amberjules
03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Not all of them are stevia sweetened. Only the 100% natural line. Read labels carefully and watch differences in cals, fat, net carbs between bars.
The lowest bar is 160 cals, which is why they are on my restricted list, no matter fat/net carbs
They ARE good tho. :)

Thank you for the correction...I meant to say the Natural line is sweetened with Stevia. I don't want to lead anyone astray.

Ojenchilada
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Congrats to all the big losers!! :)

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Its funny I felt like my weight had really stalled for a week or two , not completely but maybe .5 losses, then suddenly this morning whoosh...down to 237! Im amazed at how this plan has become second nature. I used to always be obsessed with eating, how much, when , where etc. Now I'm thinking about things other than my weight and food.
Also I love going food shopping now..my cart is filled with vegetables, and fruit for the kids..I'm happy with what I'm buying and don't feel ashamed about what Im putting on the register. If I stop and think I realize that I still look huge to others but I don't feel gross anymore...does that make sense?

Sure that makes sense. You must be feeling really good and when you are making proper choices then it reflects on how you feel. Are family noticing on you now? I started Jan 17th so we are close in start time. I know what you mean about the grocery cart. It's crazy how many veggies I buy now. 3 heads of cauliflower at a time amongst all the other things. I have a fridge in the garage and that's great because the veggies don't fit in the upstairs fridge. I can't believe I actually use them all before they go bad. My kids are eating a better too. Although I have allowed them to go to McDonalds for a treat a couple times. My son was at my sisters and he was whining about how long it had been since he had chips....so she hooked him up.

You know I felt the same way about alternatives too. It was such a scary thought to make sure I knew all of the information I could to make the best choices. With IP, you don't have to make those choices since it's already done for you. I did a lot of reading on here - there's some great threads on alternatives. Once you get the hang of it, it's really so simple and actually very empowering. I mean we're on this journey to lose weight, but to also make better choices for ourself, specially once we reach goal.

Here's the summary of the items to review when choosing alternatives:

Keep calories lower, like the IP products. 70-150, but 150 is really on the high end.
Calories from fat should be 30% or less.
Restricted is 9+ net carbs (net carbs = carb grams - fiber grams)
Unrestricted is 8 net carbs or less.
Protein should be high 12+ grams. I generally look for 15+.
No aspartame!

That's the main criteria I look for.

Thanks for adding that. I get confused easily when the products don't show the calories from fat. I know you times that number by 3 and make sure it does not equal more than total calories, but when the product does not show the calories from fat then I get confused and have to look up how to find out calories from fat. I am in Canada and we do not hae Quest bars as far as I can tell. The only ones I have found that fit the bill (I hope) are Pure Protein bars. Wish I could find the EAS advantage or Premier drinks. No Costco where I am and walmart has no EAS.

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Have a question about roasting veggies. Lately I am obsessed with roasting cabbage (shredded) and very small pieces of cauliflower. I roast until very crisp and dark. Does anyone know if nutritional value is effected if you roast too long? Sometimes they are almost burnt crispies and as I sit there munching on this crispy almost nothing I wonder if any nutritional value is actually left in the poor veggie. Ideas?

ragdoll74
03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
H y'all! Cleaning house and doing laundry today. Boo. But took a break to change my avatar in celebration of losing 28 lbs since the last one was taken (25 on IP). Hope to get some time to chat later. Have a great OP day!

You look great!

Hello fellow losers!

Congrats on the awesome WI!

I had so much fun last nigth. They gave me my meal with no sauce and just meat and beautiful steamed green beans. It was so yummy and then I saved my restricted for dessert and had the strawberry wafer. It was so cool to be able to enjoy the banquet and know I was eating what I was should be eating.

:bravo:
Woot Woot! Congrats on that wonderful milestone!

IdealProteinNewbie
03-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Love the new pic!!!

Hello fellow losers!

Way to go!!!

evepet
03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Sure that makes sense. You must be feeling really good and when you are making proper choices then it reflects on how you feel. Are family noticing on you now? I started Jan 17th so we are close in start time. I know what you mean about the grocery cart. It's crazy how many veggies I buy now. 3 heads of cauliflower at a time amongst all the other things. I have a fridge in the garage and that's great because the veggies don't fit in the upstairs fridge. I can't believe I actually use them all before they go bad. My kids are eating a better too. Although I have allowed them to go to McDonalds for a treat a couple times. My son was at my sisters and he was whining about how long it had been since he had chips....so she hooked him up.

Thanks for adding that. I get confused easily when the products don't show the calories from fat. I know you times that number by 3 and make sure it does not equal more than total calories, but when the product does not show the calories from fat then I get confused and have to look up how to find out calories from fat. I am in Canada and we do not hae Quest bars as far as I can tell. The only ones I have found that fit the bill (I hope) are Pure Protein bars. Wish I could find the EAS advantage or Premier drinks. No Costco where I am and walmart has no EAS.

Is there a Popeye Supplelments store anywhere near you? In my town (in Ontario) they sell some of the Quest bars.

Cheekyskeeter
03-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm having a relaxing one as hubby and stepdaughter are away visiting his parents so I decided to go shopping for some new jeans as even my smallest pair are too big for me now. I really need to get used to needing a smaller size......I'd hold them up and think they look about right but once I tried them on they were ridiculously too large. The sales girl went to get me what she thought was my size but when she handed them to me I said uh no way....but she insisted and surprisingly that's my size. I'm still quite shocked......of course I bought them too lol.

Ojenchilada
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm having a relaxing one as hubby and stepdaughter are away visiting his parents so I decided to go shopping for some new jeans as even my smallest pair are too big for me now. I really need to get used to needing a smaller size......I'd hold them up and think they look about right but once I tried them on they were ridiculously too large. The sales girl went to get me what she thought was my size but when she handed them to me I said uh no way....but she insisted and surprisingly that's my size. I'm still quite shocked......of course I bought them too lol.

Now that's a heckuva NSV!!

chicagoboiler
03-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Congrats to everyone on their losses!

Amberjules-Nice work and you're so close to even more milestones...so exciting!! I love looking at your recipes and progress on your website!

IdealProteinNewbie-thanks for the tip on exercising and the water retention. That makes sense.

NinjaNurse
03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
amberjules Congrats on the loss and being so close to goal. I must check out your blog.

Congrats to everyone's NSV's and losses this w/e!

I love my roasted veggies DARK. OMG if the cauliflower is small enough and browned enough it's crunchy like popcorn.

I know with cooked onions the sugar intensifies, hence no cooked onion, at least that's my take on it.

NSV: I am FINALLY in Onderland.................on MFP!!!;)

ginettepv
03-02-2013, 06:48 PM
SLEEP PLEASE ANYTIME

So I was wondering. Because of menopause and many other hormonal issues, sleep is a luxury for me, but since being on IP for 5 weeks, sleep is incredibly interrupted, short and with crazy dreams. I do have more energy, but extremely tired only because of waking up so many times during the night.

Is this normal? Is anyone else having these problems or is it just my hormones adjusting to the new IP? Even melatonin is not helping..... argh..... where is the sandman?????

On a Happy note, I reached my third goal, to weigh less than my husband who has weighed the same for the last 32 years we have been together. I have weighed more than him for the past 20 years. Yessir! This makes me happy! Next goal, reach the 170s before my 25th wedding anniversary in May.

LizRR
03-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Pretty much guaranteed you will always see a gain when you start a new exercise routine. I run with a lot of folks who do endurance runs, and they ALWAYS gain when they ramp up their mileage. You would think the opposite after doing a 20-25 mile run (some do 50-60 miles/week during big run training), a big group just finished an ultra-marathon this weekend (31-miles) and several girls were happy to be done so they would lose the weight that they gained during training and "lose the bloat".

Omg, I looooooooved my spinach latte in P1, and even all through maintenance...sadly I developed a food aversion to spinach right now in my pregnancy (along with other very healthy foods!), but working with what I can swallow (literally).

Have a question about roasting veggies. Lately I am obsessed with roasting cabbage (shredded) and very small pieces of cauliflower. I roast until very crisp and dark. Does anyone know if nutritional value is effected if you roast too long? Sometimes they are almost burnt crispies and as I sit there munching on this crispy almost nothing I wonder if any nutritional value is actually left in the poor veggie. Ideas?

I would think that roasting would retain most of the nutritional value since you are essentially just evaporating the water. Although some cooking methods can affect, I wouldn't worry and enjoy your crunches!

NinjaNurse
03-02-2013, 07:00 PM
SLEEP PLEASE ANYTIME

So I was wondering. Because of menopause and many other hormonal issues, sleep is a luxury for me, but since being on IP for 5 weeks, sleep is incredibly interrupted, short and with crazy dreams. I do have more energy, but extremely tired only because of waking up so many times during the night.

Is this normal? Is anyone else having these problems or is it just my hormones adjusting to the new IP? Even melatonin is not helping..... argh..... where is the sandman?????

On a Happy note, I reached my third goal, to weigh less than my husband who has weighed the same for the last 32 years we have been together. I have weighed more than him for the past 20 years. Yessir! This makes me happy! Next goal, reach the 170s before my 25th wedding anniversary in May.

Have you tried Melatonin??? I swear by it. The only time I wake up now is to pee. (I am pre-menopausal)
As for dreams, yes it is very common. I still have them but are so used to them now, I get upset when I wake up, wanting to know what the ending is.

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 07:25 PM
SLEEP PLEASE ANYTIME

My sleep was affected the first 6 weeks or so but eventually settled down. The magnesium does help with sleep. I actually increased the dosage for a bit.

Cortisol disruption can cause sleep problems (& diets like ours can disrupt cortisol cycles). I got some help from a Functional Medicine doctor

IP43
03-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Congrats to all the big losers!! :)

Okay, that's just funny. Only HERE are we totally excited for people to tell us what "losers" we are! (and proud of it!:D)

CONGRATS!!

lisa32989
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen and watching movies. Watched History of the Eagles on Showtime this afternoon. Have chicken carcass in a pot on the stove making bone broth.
Remember the days when we used to go OUT on Saturday nites? :?:

Oh well, one less thing to do tomorrow when I'll want to be watching basketball (my March past-time). Next week we're travelling to my alma mater in MI to see the last game of the season (not quite the 50th b-day trip I had in mind but I'm up for it...I LOVE March Madness! - scuba will have to wait until DH has enough vacation time - possibly Dec)

Hope somebody is doing something more fun...oh...and I got my AARP sign-up materials in the mail today (happy friggin birthday). REALLY? as if I can retire anytime soon...lol

amberjules
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Thank you everyone for the congrats.

It's so much fun to watch every ones victories - scale and otherwise.:D

simplelivingSD
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Yes I totally get the not feeling gross part. Thats the way I felt when I lost 50 pounds last year.

TwoTots
03-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Good morning. Munching on potato rolls with fruit spread. I have not been successful making the potato tortilla on my pan, it ends up a big sloppy mess. But, lisa's (i think) potato roll recipe turned out a treat. great bread like texture. Have a good day everyone. It's finally getting brighter in the mornings!

KorinneJB
03-03-2013, 06:13 AM
I'm a newbie...but am on board 100% with the IP Diet. I've also managed to have my husband see the error of his ways...and he's along for the ride as well. We only started on Thursday so yes, we are very much newbies, however....we're both in the correct frame of mind and going strong.

I made a chart for us to update each Thursday with our weights and measurments....needless to say neither one of us is happy with our Starting Weight....but am sure we'll be loving life once we see all of our hard work has paid off.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

IdealProteinNewbie
03-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm a newbie...but am on board 100% with the IP Diet. I've also managed to have my husband see the error of his ways...and he's along for the ride as well. We only started on Thursday so yes, we are very much newbies, however....we're both in the correct frame of mind and going strong.

I made a chart for us to update each Thursday with our weights and measurments....needless to say neither one of us is happy with our Starting Weight....but am sure we'll be loving life once we see all of our hard work has paid off.

Good for you...having a partner will make the journey much easier and fun!

Love that you're in the "correct frame of mind." Makes a world of difference!

sahmmommy2
03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

There are so many victories and success on the weekend thread! Keep up the good work everyone!

Lots to do today! Git er dun:D

bubbleblower
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Good morning! I'm all checked in for our early flight tomorrow and I already have my food and supplements ready to be packed. It's funny how my priorities are to get those ready even before thinking about packing clothing. I won't have a kitchen or microwave in the room this time around, so I'm taking mostly bars, cappuccino to mix in with coffee, and drink packets like lemonade that are easy to mix up with cold water. My fingers are crossed that I'll be happily surprised to have reached goal by the time I get back.

It should be a busy week coming up, between visiting with my 91 year old mom and going to see the progress of our new home under construction. We're at the fun point in the journey, down to selecting landscaping choices, but still have the not-so-fun parts of moving to face in the coming months.

I haven't had much time to check in here lately, but it looks like most folks are doing well. Keep up the good work!

lisa32989
03-03-2013, 09:24 AM
I'll be traveling next weekend to MI (please, weather, cooperate!)
So this trip I'll get to take the Magic Bullet and whatever else I want to take.
We usually stay at a Hampton where there is ready access to a microwave but this time we're staying at an on-campus hotel (we're headed up for a basketball game).

I'll be planning my food this week and probably be making some potato muffins and maybe some veggie omelets ahead-of-time (I guess those could be muffins, too!). I need to find out about microwave availability (lobby?). Road trips are so much easier to plan for then flights!

This is a trip "home" where I usually (in my past, fatter life) have hit all my restaurant favs. This will be my 2nd trip where that won't be happening. All of those places and foods are what got me in the shape I was. And none of them are OP for P1.

workingit50
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I am on week 3 of IP. WI tomorrow and my scale I have stalled. Lost 8.2 first 2 WI, very happy but I think a few unintentional cheats may have screwed me up. I had a Fuze ice tea with O c/0 sugars but it must have had a sugar not allowed. Normally I am just going with Stevia. Could that stall a weight loss to have a single drink? Also, are the 0 carbs/0 sugars of other drink enhancers allowed?

:dizzy:

disgal
03-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Welcome!! It's so nice having Hubby along for the ride....it will make it so much easier!! :carrot: My Hubby is also along for the ride! Be warned tho...men lose at a faster rate...grrr!! :devil:;)

Used the Protithin Choc Chip Sweet Roll to make a big cookie for breakfast this morning.....can't remember who posted the recipe (2 tsp Coconut Oil, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 or 2 packets of splenda and enough egg white to make it into a cookie consistency......put on parchment paper and flatten....bake at 350 for 7 min)....BUT THANK YOU WHO DID!!!!! :hug:Hubby made one also and LOVED it too!!:carrot: We will be making these again FOR SURE!!

I had to substitute Olive oil today because I have yet to find coconut oil (and need "refined" as I dislike coconut lol). Can anyone tell me where to get a good brand either online or locally (Scorbett???). I did a "search" here AND on Google but I want to make sure I get the right stuff!! TIA!

Scale is FINALLY moving in the direction I want it to!! :carrot: Down 3 this week after 4 weeks of 1ish per week!! Whew!! Perhaps it's the Fiber pills I started taking last week?? Who knows!!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!! :carrot:

lisa32989
03-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I had to substitute Olive oil today because I have yet to find coconut oil (and need "refined" as I dislike coconut lol). Can anyone tell me where to get a good brand either online or locally (Scorbett???). I did a "search" here AND on Google but I want to make sure I get the right stuff!! TIA!

Online: Tropical Traditions
They make both the unrefined (gold label) and the refined (green label)

disgal
03-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Online: Tropical Traditions
They make both the unrefined (gold label) and the refined (green label)

Thanks!;)

DoingitDeb
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Wow so much reading I want to keep up with....anyway day 3 for me, and it looks like I am in ketosis...I did well yesterday at the bar I work at...French fries and o rings at hands reach and I resisted. I know this will be a bit of a challenge I work there 3 nights. Otherwise so far so good! Congrats to all on your journeys! Have a grat IP day!

A1Texan
03-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Anyone have a PROMO Code for "Just Plain Protein?" I need to place an order today and any discount really helps. Thanks!

ladylunk
03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Lately I have been getting overly anxious when going to Starbucks for my treat. I order a decafe americano with a sugar free syrup. Well the last two times the guy making the coffee was so unreliable and did not announce my coffee as either decafe or sugar free. I had to question him he said they were, but I am so used to the sweetner taste now that I can't tell if it actually is. I have my husband check and have to depend on him. It happened again yesterday and I would be so upset if I got sugar syrup instead of sugar free. If I was going to cheat it would be on something much better. Don't like depending on others to stay true. Can you tell I have not eaten out yet since starting this diet? Today I feel hungry, had a growling stomach earlier than my lunch is supposed to be and it again makes me think of that darn coffee syrup. I am sure I am overreacting, but just wanted to vent about it. Ooops and now while typing this I have burnt my roasted cabbage. Extra crispy today!

Nolawhodatchick
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Lately I have been getting overly anxious when going to Starbucks for my treat. I order a decafe americano with a sugar free syrup. Well the last two times the guy making the coffee was so unreliable and did not announce my coffee as either decafe or sugar free. I had to question him he said they were, but I am so used to the sweetner taste now that I can't tell if it actually is. I have my husband check and have to depend on him. It happened again yesterday and I would be so upset if I got sugar syrup instead of sugar free. If I was going to cheat it would be on something much better. Don't like depending on others to stay true. Can you tell I have not eaten out yet since starting this diet? Today I feel hungry, had a growling stomach earlier than my lunch is supposed to be and it again makes me think of that darn coffee syrup. I am sure I am overreacting, but just wanted to vent about it. Ooops and now while typing this I have burnt my roasted cabbage. Extra crispy today!

Lots of IPers sweeten black coffee with an EAS vanilla shake (or chocolate for a mocha effect.) My husband, son, and I go to Starbucks every Saturday and get a treat. Mine has become a plain black coffee, and I add part of an EAS shake to it that I bring, plus top it off with some cinnamon at the Starbucks store and sometimes nutmeg. Occassionally I tell them to add a touch of FF or 2% milk as we are allowed 1oz of milk on IP with our coffee. I am in maintenance, and this is still how I prefer to drink my coffee, with an EAS shake. If you really are concerned about the barista getting the order correct, you can always bring your own SF syrup to sweeten it. Early on in IP, I started bringing my own salad dressings (made with olive oil), spices, and coffee sweetener (EAS shake) when I go out to meals so I wouldn't have to worry about mistakes like you are concerned about.

eta: I've never used IP's RTD vanilla, only the dry drink packets, but it may work just as well as EAS. Maybe someone can chime in and let you know how it works. EAS is fairly cheap by comparison but you may be doing only IP products, so I wanted to mention it.

BranDyzzle
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
My first weekend feels like a success :) I feel better today than yesterday, and I am finding more and more exciting recipes to try. I have a great support system here, 2 friends on the diet in different phases, and a hubby who just wants to make everything easy on me. I am so thrilled with the beginning of my journey!

ecmcnamee
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi all ... favorite Walden Farms products? I've never used them and have read good reviews and not so good reviews. Was thinking about 1000 Island Dressing, seafood sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce and chocolate sauce.

ladylunk
03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Lots of IPers sweeten black coffee with an EAS vanilla shake (or chocolate for a mocha effect.) My husband, son, and I go to Starbucks every Saturday and get a treat. Mine has become a plain black coffee, and I add part of an EAS shake to it that I bring, plus top it off with some cinnamon at the Starbucks store and sometimes nutmeg. Occassionally I tell them to add a touch of FF or 2% milk as we are allowed 1oz of milk on IP with our coffee. I am in maintenance, and this is still how I prefer to drink my coffee, with an EAS shake. If you really are concerned about the barista getting the order correct, you can always bring your own SF syrup to sweeten it. Early on in IP, I started bringing my own salad dressings (made with olive oil), spices, and coffee sweetener (EAS shake) when I go out to meals so I wouldn't have to worry about mistakes like you are concerned about.

eta: I've never used IP's RTD vanilla, only the dry drink packets, but it may work just as well as EAS. Maybe someone can chime in and let you know how it works. EAS is fairly cheap by comparison but you may be doing only IP products, so I wanted to mention it.

Thanks for all your tips. I do use ip drinks for coffee at home and have syrup as well but like trying syrups I wouldn't buy for Home when I go to starbucks, but I see your point about taking control so mistakes don't happen. I wish we had easadvantage but can't find. I did find chocolate muscle milk light and it is yummy. I like that it has a screw on cap, but still 4 dollars at safeway. A bit bigger bottle though and I just use as creamer.

NinjaNurse
03-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Potato rolls??? Where is this recipe you speak of??:?::?:

Went to Scorbett's son's bday party today. I actually had energy to at least interact with my child. It was great!! She had a blast and was running and jumping all over.

Scorbett had made lettuce wraps for us non b-day food partakers. I had to admit, they were delish. Just some deli meat wrapped up in lettuce. It's amazing how our tastes change and healthy really is delicious.

Bday cake is my foe, but TG it wasn't a layer cake, still...............:o No, I did not want any (and would not have had any) but I am glad I had to go to work when it was cut.:yikes::D

Sonyasbug
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Hello. Checking new pic from the weekend. Not ready for monday just yet. Lok

NinjaNurse
03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Hello. Checking new pic from the weekend. Not ready for monday just yet. Lok

You look great!!!

Sonyasbug
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
You look great!!!

Thanks. I felt great last night too. That top was one i havent worn in 10 years. I was amazed that it fit for a night out dancing. My legs are paying for the 4 hours of dancing in 3 inch heels. Seeing myself has really helped me actually "see" me through this journey.

ladylunk
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Potato rolls??? Where is this recipe you speak of??:?::?:

Went to Scorbett's son's bday party today. I actually had energy to at least interact with my child. It was great!! She had a blast and was running and jumping all over.

Scorbett had made lettuce wraps for us non b-day food partakers. I had to admit, they were delish. Just some deli meat wrapped up in lettuce. It's amazing how our tastes change and healthy really is delicious.

Bday cake is my foe, but TG it wasn't a layer cake, still...............:o No, I did not want any (and would not have had any) but I am glad I had to go to work when it was cut.:yikes::D

Good for you cake is hard for me too. And doesn't Scorbett have a side cake business? Her cakes must be really good too. Well you made it through.

sahmmommy2
03-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I am on week 3 of IP. WI tomorrow and my scale I have stalled. Lost 8.2 first 2 WI, very happy but I think a few unintentional cheats may have screwed me up. I had a Fuze ice tea with O c/0 sugars but it must have had a sugar not allowed. Normally I am just going with Stevia. Could that stall a weight loss to have a single drink? Also, are the 0 carbs/0 sugars of other drink enhancers allowed?

:dizzy:

It's pretty typical to have a no loss WI around week 3 or 4. Also, watch out for Aspatarme (sp?). And yes, some people can be more sensitive to the sweeteners than others. You may also be losing inches. IPers usually consider a stall to be (I think) 4 weeks with no change in weight AND measurements. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, just stay OP and your body will make it happen.

De11s
03-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi all ... favorite Walden Farms products? I've never used them and have read good reviews and not so good reviews. Was thinking about 1000 Island Dressing, seafood sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce and chocolate sauce.
I used the WF Marinara sauce tonight on some shredded zucchini, and some raspberry vinaigrette on my lettuce. The marinara was ok with added spices and garlic salt, might be even better if one would add peppers and mushrooms. The raspberry dressing is good.
I also like the caramel dip on jicama & occasionally in my dark chocolate pudding, The pancake syrup is one of my favs especially on crispy cereal pancakes. I can tolerate the blue cheese, thousand island, honey dijon. The peanut butter is the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth, and not much of a fan of the Sweet Onion dressing. Sprouts Farmers Market had them on sale this week buy one get one free so I picked up a few new ones will keep you posted.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Love the new photo; you look amazing! Congratulations on your 28 pound loss! :cp::bravo:

WorldTraveleronIP
03-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello fellow losers!

Congratulations, Amber! That is inspiring and I wish you all the best in your continued success! :dance::cp:

beepure
03-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Wonderful weekend! Tomorrow is first week. Boyfriend has been extremely helpful and supportive. Cooked awesome IP compliant meals twice...except used a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in skillet to cook leeks. Since leeks are so much like onions was afraid to eat them. Does anyone know the "rule" for this?

Thanks so much and have a great week!!

TwoTots
03-04-2013, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=NinjaNurse;4653782]Potato rolls??? Where is this recipe you speak of??:?::?:

For Ninja Nurse...
1 Pkg of potato puree, 2 egg whites, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda. Beat egg whites until a little foamy add powder. I had to add a little water too to make the mixture smoother. Put into muffin tray and bake at 200' for about 12-15 mins. I get 3 good sized "bread rolls"

I made some more last night for this mornings breakfast I mixed one pack potato and one pack of blueberry pancake mix. i doubled the other ingredients and get 6 rolls. Good luck.