Ideal Protein Diet - Fruit

View Full Version : Fruit

DJ72
03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
:( I miss it! I bought some blueberries and strawberries for the family and they are killing me as they sit on the cupboard and stare at me. I normally ate fairly healthy prior to OP, but just ate too much...and too much wine...LOL
I am still giggling over only losing inches from my bust this week. Not even an eighth anywhere else but a full inch on my bust. And 2 more lbs off...Guess the fruit will have to wait!
Hope everybody is geared up for a great weekend!

Tziri
03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I do too (A LOT)! I'm glad I will be phasing off just as fruit season is starting around here. The cran bar helps a little but nothing really replaces yummy fresh fruit.

Ishbel
03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Try some rhubarb with a splash of sugar free strawberry or whatever berry syrup or just some Splenda....it's considered a veggie.

FYI stew it up on the stove or in the microwave (you can buy it frozen right now somewhere)

:)

scorbett1103
03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Jicama also makes a pretty passable apple substitute - it's technically a veggie but has a very mild flavor and an apple-like texture. I love slicing it up and sprinkling it with cinnamon and a little Splenda! I've also used it diced up in my oatmeal packet.

MSDEEDEE23
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Try the Berry Yogurt Smoothie, its delicious, with hints of fruit.

LizRR
03-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Three biggies: Zucchini Apples, Strawberry or Blueberry Rhubarb, Cinnamon Jicama Chips

50harvest
03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I feel your pain about missing fresh fruit!
But I can also second the suggestion to try Jicama. It reminds me a lot of apples and pears, just a little less sweet.

I purchased some Dole frozen rhubarb recently & look forward to trying it soon.

BrittStar027
03-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I can't find jicama anywhere! I think i'm going to take a trip to Whole Foods and find some "new" veggies.

scorbett1103
03-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I can't find jicama anywhere! I think i'm going to take a trip to Whole Foods and find some "new" veggies.

If your supermarket doesn't have a section of "ethnic" produce, try a local spanish market. My local Market Basket hides them by the Asian veggies (sprouts, bok choy, snow peas, daikon radishes, etc)

50harvest
03-02-2013, 01:03 PM

I purchased Jicama this week from Whole Foods! I hope your store has it too.

Blessings2all
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi there I am confused. I've been wanting to eat Jicama and asked my counselor about it . He told me that jicama has more calories than cucumber. Can you still eat this? Thanks

ladylunk
03-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi there I am confused. I've been wanting to eat Jicama and asked my counselor about it . He told me that jicama has more calories than cucumber. Can you still eat this? Thanks

I am not sure where your coach is going with this??? It is on the approved list of veggies. It is a higher than cucumber that is for sure, but you are meant to eat a mixture of all the approved veggies towards your 4 cups per day. I would not eat 2 full cups of jicama at one sitting as it is a bit higher carb, but it is on the list so technically you could....

disgal
03-02-2013, 02:30 PM

I asked the Produce Manager at my Stop n Shop in Plainville, MA......he ordered it and I had some a couple days later!!:carrot: Maybe you could ask at yours?;)
Good luck!!:hug:

Blessings2all
03-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Wow thanks a lot for all your advice. I guess some coaches just go by the book very strict on the program. I am trying to find other veggies that I can enjoy eating everyday. I am sure we can take some veggies that are high in carbs but in moderation. I do love Jicama so I will go for this in moderation.. Thanks a lot again.. You guys made my day.. :)

lisa32989
03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Wow thanks a lot for all your advice. I guess some coaches just go by the book very strict on the program. I am trying to find other veggies that I can enjoy eating everyday. I am sure we can take some veggies that are high in carbs but in moderation. I do love Jicama so I will go for this in moderation.. Thanks a lot again.. You guys made my day.. :)
Jicama is on the select veggie list. No reason to restrict it!
There are LOTS Of veggies on that list!

tam67green
03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm with you! I do miss fruit! Can't wait until rhubarb starts appearing in grocery stores--I've been wanting to try it.
As LizRR mentioned, zucchini apples are pretty good. I sliced one in half, removed the seeds, then sliced it. Mixed it with Splenda or Truvia and some cinnamon, then baked it at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. The first time I tried it, I microwaved it instead, and didn't like it. I liked it much better baked--of course, that could be due to a change in my taste buds, too. I first tried it about a month after I started, and I thought, "Ha! That's not like apples at all!". After being on the plan 4+ months, it tasted sweet enough to me to be a good apple substitute!

Blessings2all
03-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks a lot Lisa for the information. I guess I did not have that much information about what veggies to have. But I do really appreciate this blog keeping me updated and ideas on how to enjoy this diet program. Do you know where can I find that list for my reference?. Only if you have a chance.. :)

BrittStar027
03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I asked the Produce Manager at my Stop n Shop in Plainville, MA......he ordered it and I had some a couple days later!!:carrot: Maybe you could ask at yours?;)
Good luck!!:hug:

I found some at my Whole Foods (Cranston, RI)! I really like it!!! I made "apple" sauce with it and OMG! Yum!!! I'm going to ask my Stop and Shop this week if they can order it too. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

lisa32989
03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks a lot Lisa for the information. I guess I did not have that much information about what veggies to have. But I do really appreciate this blog keeping me updated and ideas on how to enjoy this diet program. Do you know where can I find that list for my reference?. Only if you have a chance.. :)
Did you get a Phase 1 sheet from your coach? The list of select veggies is on there.

Blessings2all
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Lisa.. I was able to retrieve the lists from this blog and yes there is the jicama.. My coach gave me a list but it was dated on 2/7/11!!! The list that you have was printed on 2012... No wonder he is not up to date with the forms that he gives me. That's why I am having a hard time finding out foods that I can eat. Thanks to this blog for keeping me posted and helping me figure out on the things that I can eat.. Hopefully it will be much easier for me this time.. Thanks a lot again to you all. :)

Blessings2all
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Lisa.. Have you noticed some of the Phase 1 diet on pdf on this blog list (saw it at Suzanne 3fc ) doesn't have Jicama .... o well. I love Jicama so I will definitely buy it today. :)

Cheekyskeeter
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I picked up a jicama at Whole Foods yesterday but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I will try and google and see what I can do with it.

lisa32989
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM

You have to do a little searching to find the newest sheet. It really bugs me when coaches/clinics don't stay up-to-date
It can be found in this post http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4448522-post7.html

DJ72
03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh you guys are AWESOME!!! I made the jicama with cinnamon and Splenda and gave my tummy and psych a happy! Now I need to find strawberry syrup because I have frozen rhubarb from my garden in the freezer!
Saved by my fellow losers!!!! Thanks!

Debrasb
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I make rhubarb compote all the time using frozen rhubarb. Here's my recipe: http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/2012/10/rhubarb-oh-my-rhubarb-compote-is-almost.html
(http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/2012/10/rhubarb-oh-my-rhubarb-compote-is-almost.html)

DJ72
03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks Debrasb....will check it out NOW!!!!! :)

50harvest
03-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I've never heard of zucchini apples. I googled it but only recipes for zucchini apple pie pop up, lol

Does it look like an apple? What color is the peel?

scorbett1103
03-04-2013, 10:41 PM
I've never heard of zucchini apples. I googled it but only recipes for zucchini apple pie pop up, lol

Does it look like an apple? What color is the peel?

You bake regular zucchini with splenda and cinnamon and it comes out a bit like baked apples.

Zucchini "Apple" Chips

Using a mandolin slice 1 small zucchini into slices between 1/16" and 1/8" (I did 1/16 but if you went a little thicker they would have some more bite to them). Lay them out on a silicone baking mat or parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with your choice of seasonings:
Sweet: 1 pkt Splenda mixed with cinnamon
Savory: Sea Salt and seasoning of your choice (I used a lemon herb seasoning)
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes checking frequently. Mine turned a little brown in the middle but they weren't burnt, just crunchy and delicious!! (if you're using a silicone baking sheet bake for 10-15 min and then turn so the other side will dry out, return to oven and bake another 3-5 minutes).

50harvest
03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info & recipe Scorbett :D

You bake regular zucchini with splenda and cinnamon and it comes out a bit like baked apples.

Zucchini "Apple" Chips

Using a mandolin slice 1 small zucchini into slices between 1/16" and 1/8" (I did 1/16 but if you went a little thicker they would have some more bite to them). Lay them out on a silicone baking mat or parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with your choice of seasonings:
Sweet: 1 pkt Splenda mixed with cinnamon
Savory: Sea Salt and seasoning of your choice (I used a lemon herb seasoning)
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes checking frequently. Mine turned a little brown in the middle but they weren't burnt, just crunchy and delicious!! (if you're using a silicone baking sheet bake for 10-15 min and then turn so the other side will dry out, return to oven and bake another 3-5 minutes).

Blessings2all
03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Thanks a lot for the update Lisa :). I finally got my jicama... i just sprinkle it with sea salt. You guys should try it. Hopefully you will like it. I love this site all the ideas and encouragements we all needed.