Diabetes Support - March Chat

View Full Version : March Chat

Ruthxxx
03-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Good morning to March and farewell to February.

The day started off well with an email from Riemontana. She is fine but has been taking a breather from 3FC for a while. She says Hi to us all and will say it in person one of these days.

New month and new resolve! I am getting more and more disgusted with my weight gain and am worried about what my next HA1C will show. This has to be the month when I get it together. A shocking 193.4 this morning and FBGL is creeping up a bit.

Off to the gym for sure this morning and I will stick to my plan today.

fatmad
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
ok Ruth, you and me together.
I do find that breakfast is the gateway to problems. I seldom want to spend time making breakfast, deciding what to have etc. Started today with a shake. Have done that before. SO this weekend will be spent stocking in appropriate foods, and maybe freezing a few things for microwaving. anyone have advice about freezing omelets etc? If I can get breakfast together, the rest of the day will follow on plan.

Have a good day friends happy Friday!

Wannabehealthy
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Ruth- I am so happy that you heard from Rie and she is OK. That made my day. I was worried about her.

Trish - Can you tell me how you make the beef jerky? That is something I could eat that my husband would also like.

Butterfly50
03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank Heavens all is ok with Rie. Well since my son has moved out I took over his room it adjoins with mine So I took the board down that was between the two rooms and make it back into one. So now I have a place to workout in the warms cool air and heated room. My 15 year old has said she wants to work out with me and she wants me to teach her how to eat better ! My 18 year old stay with her boyfriend alot they are talking about marriage so .

Tomorrow we are going grocery shopping and I will be getting some different things for us to eat I hope to even get a work out in too....

pattygirl63
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I guess we are all starting over with the new month. I'm trying to get my act together as well. We can do this.

Ruthie - So glad you heard from Rie and she is okay.

Bonnie - Glad you have more space to work out and teaching your daughter how to eat right and her working out together will be fun and productive for the 2 of you plus a great mother/daughter relationship builder.

slmn - I'll post the Beef Jerky recipe in the recipe section.

Madeleine - I thought you posted a cheesecake recipe in the recipe section but couldn't find it. Do you still have it? I would like to get it if you do.

Snow is everywhere here. So beautiful. Guess the what a lady at church told her daughter is true. 2 weeks ago she heard thurnder when it was snowing and she said "If you hear thunder when it snows, you'll have snow again in 14 days. Go figure.

Y'all have a nice week end.

firegirl441
03-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Hope it's Ok to join in with you gals. I too suffer with type 2 diabetes. I have had it under control for about a year, but at the end of last year, I recognized (or admitted) that I had put 38 lbs on and my sugars were on the rise again. My eyes were giving me some trouble as well. I am also very concerned about diabetic neuropathy as I have had three neurolysis surgeries on my feet and knees just get some feeling back so I really want to keep my sugars in the Ok range. They won't ever be great, but as long as my mornings are in the 120-130's I am satisfied and so is the doc. Thus my reason for getting those stubborn 38 lbs back off.

pattygirl63
03-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Welcome Firegirl. Glad to have you join us. Look forward to getting to know you.

Ruthxxx
03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Pouring Newman's own coffee for us all. I even have some SF Irish Cream syrup so we can celebrate St. P. Day a tad early.

:welcome: Firegirl. Here's your mug. :coffee:

Been offline a bit. On Friday night I managed to slice the side off my middle finger, left hand and have been dealing with that and feeling a tad sorry for myself. Never try to take the cork out of a wine bottle with a knife when you've mislaid the corkscrew. I really should have gone to the ER for stitches but didn't since it was late. It's pretty sore but the bleeding has stopped. Sure was scary for a while though.

Food has not been good although I've avoided sugar. Claire brought me a roasted chicken from the grocery store which is doing me along with some salad greens. I'm just poking along doing my best.

pattygirl63
03-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Ruthie Sorry to hear about your finger. When I worked at a sewing factory years ago, they trained me on the surger machine which I loved using. However, I had to really watch what I was doing because as my speed improved, I sliced the midde finger of my left hand a few times. I didn't go for stitches either, but it healed nicely.

I've not been really great with OP either, kind of easing back into the way I ate when growing up. I've read all the ideas "everybody" has about eating and decided that while I didn't have a name for it growing up, "my normal" was eating either 2 meals or 1 meal and a snack each day. I ate more like a combination of Intermittent Fasting and Intuitive Eating. The only thing I'm doing different is that I'm doing it healthier now by adding low carb/low calorie to it. I am fasting 16 hrs and eat during an 8 hr window.

I have a batch of beef jerky in the oven. I read where some people make it with hamburger meat, but not sure how that would work. However, I saw some cubed steaks in the store yesterday and decided to try making jerky with it. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

firegirl441
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been eating OP but still not it ketosis. I guess I got to go back to measuring and weighing everything. I went to the pool and worked out for an hour. I feel much more energetic now. Hope everyone else had a good Monday.

Butterfly50
03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the Family Firegirl441.

Well I have not been able to get on plan or get any workout done have been running our butt off went to the store sunday and come home to find the main water line under the concrete floor is broke and then water started filling in the living room and closets in hallway. Now we have to come up with the moolah to get it fixed and believe me it isnt cheap. So we have been busy on the phone and doing doing doing . I jest hope we get it fixed . Have no water been taking showers over at the uncles house .We need to get it fixed. But we will soon .

I hope you all have had a better day then me...

Ruthxxx
03-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Butterfly, so sorry you had such a sucky day. Raising my coffee mug to a better Tuesday for you.

Skipped gym yesterday because my darned finger was bleeding a bit but did go to quilters meeting since it was in the Clinic boardroom. I had Nurse Jane look at my finger and change the bandage. She debated stitching it :yikes: but decided it was already healing. I guess I'll live.

Weight has really been bothering me so I am going to go as low carb as possible, monitoring my blood to be sure it doesn't get too low. I also need to be more faithful with taking my meds. I'm a tad scared lately as my weight seems to be climbing and I dread ever seeing 200 on my scale. I seem to have been on a diet for the past 60 years with very poor results.

Enough griping! I have a contractor coming at 8 so need to get dressed and put on the coffee before he gets here. (It's my cousin Paul so we always have a family visit first.)

pattygirl63
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Ruthie I was having a difficult time with weight and fbs too, but I think I have finally found a way of eating (not calling it a diet) that is becoming a lifestyle for me. I just suddenly realized that the way I am choosing to eat now with a few adjustments is exactly the way I ate when I as growing up and was thin and pretty healthy. Since this is the way I ate whenever people left me alone and let me do my own thing, I've decided that it is the way my body likes me to eat and in the past it rewarded me with a thinner and healthier me. And I was much happier. LOL So that is the way I'm eating.

Bonnie I sure hope today was much nicer to you tha yesterday.

We went out to eat today at Golden Corral. I ate what I wanted but I only ate few bites and actually left food on my plate. Even left about half of my dessert that I always eat when I go there. I heard someone say that we only "really" enjoy the 1st few bites of what we want. I'm beginning to believe that is true because when we left I told DH, "I shouldn't have eaten the last few bites of the dessert because I didn't like the way it made me feel". Funny thing is that I only got what I thought was just a few bites of the foods to start with, but it was too much. I realize that I like feeling "lite" after eating a meal and I felt like I had something heavy in my gut when we got in the car. When I was a teen, I hated dates who took me out to a restaurant to eat. I would rather just go somewhere for just a cold drink and maybe steak basket. I just didn't like going somewhere where I thought I had to order a whole meal and eat all of it. I would actually get so nervous I would get sick at my stomach just thinking about it. Boy did that change somewhere. LOL

firegirl441
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Butterfly: sorry to hear about the water problems at your house. I hope all went well with the contractor.

Ruthie: I hope that finger starts healing and quits bleeding. That is no fun.

patty: sounds like you did well controlling your eating at Golden Corral. DH and I agreed to not do any buffet eating until I reach my goal weight.

I stayed OP today and exercised at the pool again. I am up to 150 stomach crunchies today.

Ruthxxx
03-06-2013, 07:02 AM
I am most impressed by the crunches, Firegirl! (I almost called you Firefly.) I try to do some at the gym but getting down onto the floor is pretty hard as I have a limited-bending artificial knee. I am hoping I can manage to get down there today and maybe even do a couple of longer planks.

Day 1 of Atkins induction went well. I ended the day with 1121 calories and 23 carbs, 6 or them fiber. I'm a tad worried over the low fiber and may poop up the veggies - bad word choice but you get my drift? My FBGL this morning was 5.6 or 100.8, a bit high for me so I'll keep a close eye on it.

Happy Hump Day, Chickies!

pattygirl63
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
My FBS is finally steadily coming back down. Weight is up a tad, but ate out 2 days in a row so probably is just salt in the food. I am very pleased with my new (really old) way of eating. I don't eat until at least noon sometimes later depending on what is going on, but always stop eating by 8 pm. That also is flexible only because I allo myself and 8 hr window of eating. However, most of the time I stop eating by 8 pm even if I don't start eating until 3 or 4. I really to go to bed on an empty stomach and I go to bed sometime between midnight and 2am. It works for me very nicely.

This morning, I was thinking about how nice this way of eating works for me when I remembered a doctor once asked me "Have you ever been thin in your life?" I told him that I never had a weight problem until I was in my 20s and then it was off and on. He said "Eat the way you did when you were thin". Today I wondered... Could it really be that simple? Just might be.

Have a nice day Everybody.

pinkplato
03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
ok Ruth, you and me together.
I do find that breakfast is the gateway to problems. I seldom want to spend time making breakfast, deciding what to have etc. Started today with a shake. Have done that before. SO this weekend will be spent stocking in appropriate foods, and maybe freezing a few things for microwaving. anyone have advice about freezing omelets etc? If I can get breakfast together, the rest of the day will follow on plan.

Have a good day friends happy Friday!
Breakfast really does make all the difference! Especially when you have to rush off to work! I am currently watching my carbs and it is really important to eat breakfast, but I don't always feel like pulling out a pan to make eggs. I have just discovered these pre-cooked chicken patties at Trader Joe's. I can throw them in the toasted oven while I'm getting dressed. I even throw some cheese or avocado on it for some fat and voila! Breakfast. It's easy enough to throw into a tupperware if I don't have time to eat it at home.

Ruthxxx
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Here's a breakfast recipe from South Beach diet that works well when frozen. It lends itself to all sorts of adaptation and can be reheated from frozen in a microwave.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1/40253-sausage-cheese-breakfast-cups.html

firegirl441
03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
I looked at your Sausage and Egg muffin recipe. It sounds really good.

Butterfly50
03-06-2013, 06:37 PM
The plummer will be out tomorrow at 9 am to start the job will take 2 to 3 days to finish. We will have lots going on here for the next few days will try to get back with everyone.

Ruthxxx
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Bonnie, I hope the water problem is fixed for you by now. Who need extra hassles!

I did not do well at the gym this week. My cut finger really limits some of the things in my routine. However, I will persevere. I'm going back this morning and then into town for errands.

Atkins seems to be working for me. I know the first few pounds are water weight but it's nice to see 189.8 this morning after being in the 190s all this year. My BGL is just fine despite cutting so many carbs. My jeans felt baggy yesterday which thrilled me ... until I realized I'd put on my gardening pants which are extra roomy. Duh!

Happy Friday, folks. Funny that I look forward to Fridays although I'm retired.

fatmad
03-08-2013, 07:44 AM
hey all< have attempted to post several times in the last few days. I need DSIL to come and clean up my mac and make it run better. I keep closing out and losing work. I need updates for this thing I guess.
fbs 5.3 today, but weight is still up. Gonna make menus for the coming weeks and try to get going. Still finding energy is low, but exercise may actually help. I just find I am exhausted when I get home from work.
Hope everyone enjoys Friday.

Butterfly50
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Nope still working on it.They are susposed to be done by tomorrow. But we have motel for us while the are working on it.

pattygirl63
03-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Everybody have a great weekend. Catch y'all next week.

fatmad
03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
weight is back to ticker, and have moved around a bit. I have DD home for a few days, sick, has pneumonia and needs to rest. Plan is to make some breakfast foods for the next few days, so I can stick to plan. And to take a trail walk with the dog today. Thats it. Its clinic not call week for me, so hope to get some yoga in and otherwise, just chill and eat right.
Happy Sunday friends.

Ruthxxx
03-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Enjoying a peaceful Sunday - Still in my robe at 12:09! Time to get a move on and get dressed because someone always drops in on Sunday. FBGL is great at 4.5 and weight has dropped to an amazing 186 on Atkins since Tuesday. I know it's water weight but still is most encouraging.

Mad, your poor DD! Good thing she has a Mommy to take care of her. Hope your work week is peaceful.

Butterfly50
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Well people I am a little depressed right now you all know my son moved out two weeks ago well friday my daughter moved out with her boyfriend . I know it has alot to do with what goes on here. So now my two kids have moved out because what goes on here and now my aunts daughter left her boyfriend and she is here for a while. Kinda pisses me off on how everthing has went down but I can say if my kids needs a place to stay and she dont let them come back then I am gone from here.

Hope everyone is having a better weekend

fatmad
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Bonnie: I can understand that its hard to deal with these changes. I know I had a hard time when my oldest left home. It was a big relief when the younger one left though.
Funny, we have spent the last couple of days making a plan for the younger one to live here again for the summer. I am a little worried about it, but she and I have been talking about how to deal with conflict together.
BOnnie: the conflict with your aunt has gotten worse. Do you think it will be better or worse with her DD there as well?
Not sure if you have to option to go elsewhere or what the financial situation is for you all. I am sure you will find a solution that will work for your family.

Ruthxxx
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Bonnie, I so wish I could just haul you up here and give you my house. It must be very stressful for you and hard to look after YOU!

We are now into "Just spring when the world is mud luscious" and our snow is melting way too fast. I have a lake in the dog yard and an actual stream from behind the barn filling it. I'm actually looking at the predicted higher temperatures to slow things down.

Been trying to stick to my low carb plan but goofed yesterday. I visited the sugar shack in my bush to see how the syrup making was progressing and had to taste it, of course. I am addicted to maple syrup and could drink the stuff. Luckily I didn't although I did taste it. Back on the straight and narrow this morning with a chicken and low carb veggie soup planned and some tenderloin thawing for dinner. :crossed:

Happy Tuesday.

pattygirl63
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
A quick flyby here.

Ruthie I too am having to do more of a low carb woe. In fact, I think my body is forcing me to more of an Atdkins type of low carb. I don't want to to that low, but I don't want diabetic complications either. This is getting to be more than I really want to deal with. :hug:

Bonnie Is moving into your own place still a possibility for y'all? Hope you can get things resolved soon. Just not worth the hassle.

Busy week. Will check in when I can.

fatmad
03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi all: I have been sticking to plan fairly well. But weight is really labile, up and down within a couple of pounds, but not steady at all. Frustrating when You are on plan. Today, more carby, I missed my meds this am, and the cravings started. I have had some flex in my hours the last few days, with no set times for work, but tomorrow must be at the office for 9, no matter what. Am still having trouble waking before 8 though.
Have been just vegging out this afternoon. Am going to start food for supper, and will go out with DH tonight for the music jam.
Things are pretty good this week. I got to yoga last night, and although I wasn't in good enough shape to do the entire workout and had to take breaks, I did have a good workout. A little more of that and I will be back into shape.
Yes Ruth, the weather is difficult. Very muddy here, and I am not sure about any more cross country skiing, though I had made a date for Thursday.
With all the flux in the conditions, maybe trail walks and yoga will have to do for a while.

pattygirl63
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I am having problems with exercise myself, but I'm determined to get back into shape. I just refuse to sit and go down hill. I do a little each day and I am working at adding a little more today than I did yesterday. I remember my Daddy talking about a man who had a difficult walking. He told his doc that he barely could walk to the mail box. Doc told him to start there and add a little more as he could. The man got well and lived for years. If he could do it, this gal can to.

Eating was good today and I'm done for the day. Just got to get back to taking care of "me".

Ruthxxx
03-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Good morning. Feeling a tad guilty because I am skipping gym this morning after a night of poor sleep - scary dreams for some reason. I must have had a guilty conscience over having wine with dinner last night. (A friend dropped in and I'd cooked the whole recipe so ... So much for meals in the freezer stash. :shrug:) The scale shows a change this morning but I can't figure out how to change the new ticker so it'll stay for now.

Aside from the wine, I have been sticking to Atkins induction pretty well. I did order some things from Low Carb Canada - syrups and sauces - but also ordered some crackers. I won't order those again since they are as addictive as chips!

We are back into colder weather with snow on the menu for the next few days. Spring had better get here soon or I'm canceling my membership!

Have a Happy Hump Day!

fatmad
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Still a little sore from yoga on Monday. Last night went out and sang my little heart out. Also played outside with the dog. TOday very little exercise, but got home feeling very tired. The new bed is comfy but I am not sleeping well in general, the time change has really messed me up. No alarm clock tomorrow, and maybe stay home tonight and sleep well and worry about moving around in the morning.

Butterfly50
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey ladies how are things going?? Well sorry I havnt been on for a while but My daughter got married the other day so I have been busy. The plummer will be out tomorrow to finish our bathroom the are going to fix the water spicket. In our bathroom. Now things are calming down I will get back as soon as I can...

Hope all is doing well...

fatmad
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
BOnnie: daughter married? Didn't she just move out? is this a different daughter? I don't remember hearing about wedding plans, so thinking it was sudden?
Any how, on plan so far today. Just have to avoid much of a bedtime snack and I will be good for the day. How do we make that evening snack just a small amount and not a "fill up in case there is never food again" sort of thing.
I still have trouble with that.
GOt out for a trail walk today. DH is getting sick, hope I can avoid it. He is sleeping in the guest room tonight he says, which is great, I can leave the window open and sleep better as a result.
I have the weekend off, going to be busy with fun.

Ruthxxx
03-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Bonnie, what's the scoop?

Wel, Atkins is very strict about carb control. i have been eating a few more cabs and the scale has rewarded me with 3 pounds. :( I'd change my ticker but have not figured out how to do it in LilySlim. (I bet I'll figure it out fast when it starts to move DOWN!)

Discovered "egg rolls" made with lettuce leaves instead of regular wrappers yesterday. They reminded me of those rice paper ones. I did them just with egg salad making them true egg rolls. I'll experiment some more, I think as they were quite tasty.

Doing the traditional corned beef and cabbage for dinner tomorrow. I know the beef is salty but my Irish ancestors would rise up and scream at me if I didn't do it. My friend Donna and her granddaughter will be here and I'll do 'taters and dessert for them but will stick to meat and cabbage myself.

So ..."Top o' the mornin' to yez all!"

pattygirl63
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Flyby here. So busy this week, we missed one of DH doc appts. Didn't even know we were supposed to be there. Must have gotten knocked off the fridge when the kids were moving. New appt next Wednesday. I am happy to say that I have started exercising. I started doing 2 minutes each day and now I am doing 1 mile a day. I have the urge to move on to more than the mile, but since I hurt my knee going too fast last summer, I'm taking it slower. I will continue the 1 mile a day for a while before moving toward 2 miles.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Butterfly50
03-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Nope it is my 18 year Old that jest moved out it was sudden no wedding plans the went to a jcp and did it. Boyfriend said that he wanted to get married so they were legal and not jest living togeather. They are going to plan a wedding for this summmer some time. Dont know when they are working on that.

Well I am trying to get all these things settled here so I can get back on track seems like I always have some thing to do . Today I worked on my plants and then I also did some cleaning on my rooms. Now I have a bed room and Like my own living room. I will get back their. I still have this hacking cough went back to the Dr and they are treating it again.Hopefully this will get ride of it. But man it is so nice to only cook for 3 people. I dont count my aunt cause she is never here.

Well Better get going I will get back to you all soon...

fatmad
03-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone, and happy St. Patrick's day. To me it is St. Peggy's day, my mother was Peggy and she died on this day 3 years ago. I still miss her, guess I always will.
DH has a bad cold, has been sleeping in the guest room to avoid disturbing me. THe new bed is comfy and I am sleeping better again. My left upper arm has been hurting a lot, I seem to have a pulled muscle or tendonitis or something. I don't know if I slept funny or what, don't remember doing anything to hurt it, but I have trouble lifting etc.
Went to see DD in Toronto yesterday, she is well and DSIL and she seem very happy. No pregnancy yet, and they don't seem to be planning one soon, they want to get debt free and maybe get a down payment on a condo or other bigger place, before they start their family.
So all good, staying on plan for the most part. Am trying some calorie cycling and see if that helps me a bit. Eating to my plan and points most days, then having a day, twice a week, with much lower calories. THis is my personal modification of the "fast diet" that everyone is talking about.
I am still learning about it, and will see how I do in the next month. Sticking to anything seems to be a problem with me, so I am not bragging, believe me.
Plan to walk the dog on the trail for my activity today, not up to much more than that! Have a good Sunday everyone.

Ruthxxx
03-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Fly-by check-in! Shocked to get on the scale this morning and see over three pounds gain from the corned beef dinner last night. Back to strict Atkins today before that gain grows roots!

fatmad
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
oh ruth! you know that its just the salt that caused the weight gain! Not to worry, but do get back on track.
Its official, I have a rotator cuff injury and can't use my left arm much at all. I am off call for work, and will just do clinic this week. May be tricky to take blood pressures though.
The codeine I am taking for pain is reducing my appetite though, which may be a good thing. I have some pain even when doing nothing, but moving my arm much really hurts. So its in a sling for now. Won't be walking outside, will use the treadmill for now, as icy walks would be dangerous to me.
Doc thinks its a chronic overuse thing, as I can't think of any injury that I have done.
HOpe everyone else is doing ok. Take care all.

fatmad
03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
my goto breakfast lately has been a higher fat (9%) greek yoghurt with some applesauce and fibre 1 cereal mixed in. Today I tried a new cereal to go with it, its called "holy crap" cereal. Made with chia seeds and other good stuff. I have had some constipation problems due to eating so little grain, (hence the fibre 1) and I am hoping this will help. tasted good this way anyhow.
Arm is still hurting, but some improvement. Heading to work soon.
Weight keeps coming down slightly, I am now true to ticker.

Ruthxxx
03-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Struggling and way off program. Today has to be better. That corned beef water weight should be gone by now -right?

pattygirl63
03-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Fatmad Sorry about the arm. Hope it is better soon.

I am having to force myself to use the exercise bike, but I'm doing it. Some days are a struggle like today, I could only do half a mile. I see from the way my legs feel that I have to do it everyday because my legs will become so weak if I don't. My eating is going pretty good. I felt so exhausted last week. I'm not sure if I had a virus or what. Still have my moments. Maybe it is just spring fever. :?:

Can't always get 3fc to work lately so haven't been able to post. So I'll check back when I can.

fatmad
03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
hey everyone: the arm is still quite bad. I was just zoning on the codeine yesterday, so much pain. Today so far is good. I am going to physio this pm and hope to have some answers about what to expect in the next couple of weeks. I may have to call in help for work. Another coworker sprained her wrist yesterday, so we will be stretched to the limit with injuries.
The codeine is reducing my appetite a lot, but also slowing things down internally, so will have to take some miralax.
Hope everyone does ok for a Thursday, and welcome to spring.

Ruthxxx
03-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Mad, so sorry about your injury. I know how fuzzy codeine makes me feel. I can't imagine you going to work in that condition.

Trying hard to get back on track before my friend comes to visit on Saturday. I'd like to at least stay the same during her visit.

fatmad
03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
my physio went well, but a bit confusing. They are not sure if the problem is in the neck or shoulder. I am to ice it and rest. Going to some chiropractic tomorrow. In the mean time, appetite is down. I am not eating to plan, but not eating much. certainly not active though.
Will get on the treadmill tomorrow too.
Thanks for the kind words. Hope you can get back on plan Ruth. The long winter isn't helping things right now.

Ruthxxx
03-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Good morning. Just doing last minute touches getting ready for my friend. She's been through a rough time with her mother's illness and death so will just appreciate being "mothered" by me. Food will be healthy carbs since she is a vegetarian so I do not expect to lose and weight while she's here. I will monitor my FBGL though and get back to Atkins the day she leaves. Fingers crossed that the weight gain does not continue.

pattygirl63
03-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Am surprised that I haven't been here more. Scales are doing nothing but bouncing, but FBS was lower this morning than has been in a while so I will be grateful for that.

Fatmad Hope your arm is healing.

Ruthie Enjoy being with your friend.

Everyone else:wave: Hope y'all are doing well.

Have a good weekend.

fatmad
03-23-2013, 09:48 PM
having some problems still, and horribly constipated from the codeine. The pain is much better, using the TENs machine, ice and tylenol and codeine effectively. Have more movement and less pain, but far from normal still.
Feeling a bit low about it all, worry about being off work, but can't make healing happen. Missing yoga.
Will just keep trucking and hope for better every day.
love to all, and thanks for your support.

pattygirl63
03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Madeleine So glad you are healing although not as quickly as you would like. I saw DH go through that with his pain from the neck injury. Once he started feeling better, he had to be careful because he moved too quickly one day and caused his neck to hurt for a few days. So please be patient as you heal. I know that isn't easy, but is necessary so as not to have a relapse or make things worse. I know as a nurse that you know that, but just a friendly reminder. Praying for you girl.:hug:

I am beginning to wonder how much our water drinking affects FBS. I notice that when it is cold that I don't drink water as much as I drink other things to stay warm. My FBS seems to be a little higher the next morning. However, on days it is warm enough to drink more water, it seems to be lower the next day. Just wondered if anyone else has observered this.

:wave: to Everybody else.

fatmad
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Wow, has it ever been quiet here the last while.
I am finding the tylenol cold pills and pain meds have been wreaking havoc with my blood sugars. I know in the long run they are ok, but having more ups and downs always worries me.

Of course I have a cold with everything else, but truly, the timing is as good as it gets since I am not handling babies right now.
I led a long meeting today, but did n't drive or lift anything, and though I am tired, I did not overdo anything and not in much pain at the end of the day.

I an interested in the observations about water intake trish, its a good point. What do you drink if not water? Often its coffee or tea and the caffeine has effects on blood sugar, right? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the good wishes to all.

Wannabehealthy
03-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi Ladies - I would like to comment on the water drinking. I also don't drink as much water in the cold seasons...mostly coffee and tea. At one time, a nurse told me that drinking water will help lower blood sugar, but I never noticed it myself. I do know that water is very important to many other bodily functions and most people don't drink enough, including me.

Mad - After surgery I took pain meds and my doctor instructed me to take a stool softener to counteract the constipation. It worked very well. It is inexpensive. I took generic Colace from Target. Over the counter. It's not a laxitive...just makes it easier to move your bowels.

Butterfly50
03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Sorry ladies I havnt been on here lately but I guess when it rains it pours. The hubby is sick with bronchitis again and I never got rid of it after going to the dr the 4th time he finally gave me something that will nock this stuff out. I told him he had two weeks I had to get better my grand babies are comming in on the 8 of april. We both have to get better. Plus side is so far I didnt wake up hacking and coughing like usual he gave us both shots to jump start it so I am hoping.

Well I have been busy My aunt is having medical issues right now I have been with her twice to her dr and then to go get to cat scans done. The finding is she had a calcium deposit in her spleen and then her pancreas has a lesion on it the size of a quarter so we go thursday and see her Dr and get set up with him to do a biopsy on it to see what it is and if it could be cancerous or not.

It jest ticks me off that her daughter isnt taking the time to go to these appoitments with her to find any info out she jest wants to go to the biopsy and then go back to work. Like realy I dont know about her she puts her drunk boy friend before her mom. I wish she would realize that it is something she needs to be doing she wont be here forever.

Things here are ok I will check back in later. Time to take some more meds.

fatmad
03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Bonnie: your aunt is lucky to have you, even if it hasn't always been easy and she hasn't appreciated you as much as you deserve.
Carol Sue: I have been taking stool softeners and laxatives with the codeine, to little avail, as the constipation has been bad, and thats at pretty low doses! I have been 48 hours since the last dose of codeine, just a bit of tylenol today (1 tab twice today, and will take again at bedtime). Bowels are moving well now!
Using the TENs machine, and ice. Physio taped my shoulder again today, and I used the sling.
Was exhausted after work, and even put a couple of visits off to another day.
Stayed on plan today. Heading to bed soon.
Glad to see a few people back on line, its been so quiet!
Trish, life seems very calm now. Does it seem a bit lonely without the gang?

Bye for now.

pattygirl63
03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Bonnie I'm sorry y'all have had so much sickness at your house. Hope everyone is feeling better by the time your children get there.

slmn I find it interesting that the nurse told you that water would lower blood sugar. I plan to keep an eye on my water drinking and see if it helps me.

Madeleine I hope your arm is feeling much better. I usually drink coffee and green tea especially during cold weather. I think I've not been drinking enough lately.

I got up yesterday and had a horrible rash on my neck. Took Benedryl and ended up sleeping all day yesterday. I think it was caused from the fruit I've been eating. So I've been eating more like Atkins Induction of only 20 carbs daily and it is slowly going away. Since I obviously have to do this, I will stay with the very low carb eating for a while any way. I think I've known for some time that I needed to eat lower carbs, but I just didn't want to do it. Guess I don't have a choice now with this rash.

fatmad
03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
well, typical after a good day on plan, I over carbed today. Not doing so well with this. Was thinking of a total fast day on Friday. I was raised Christian, but don't practice, but it seems an appropriate day for fasting, a day when someone gave up life for others.
In any case, I gotta do something about this addiction.

Wannabehealthy
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Mad - When I was single I fasted on Good Friday for the same reason you mentioned. I have the same beliefs that I did while I was growing up but like you, don't practice as I used to. I think an occasional fast does a body good! My husband was raised Catholic so to him, fasting just means not eating meat. He would never fast completely without any food. So I don't either.

Trish, I wonder if drinking the water dilutes your blood volume and therefor lowers your glucose levels. I don't know of any other way it would lower it. When I went to cardiac rehab they told this one guy that his blood PRESSURE was getting to low and to drink some water to raise it, so I guess if I drink water my glucose will go down but my blood pressure will go up. I can't win!

PS: I googled drinking water lowers glucose levels and some sites said it did and some said it didn't. LOL They said the best way to lower glucose levels is to exercise. I know it works for me, but I don't do it as often as I should.

pattygirl63
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Well I don't know if the water lowers it or not, but I do know there are loads of health benefits from drinking it. So I will drink it. I know it is important to drink enough to stay hydrated and diabetics have a tendency to be thirsty a lot. I have learned by trial and error that if I drink plenty of water and stay hydrated that I don't have the leg cramps I was getting from taking the Metformin and the Fenophybrate (probably spelled wrong).

The rash still looks pretty red but I see some healthy skin peaking through so Atkins is helping straighten things out for my system. It is helping get my weight to move down too. I'm thinking that I just may keep doing this. Right now I have to do it to get rid of the rash which is getting easier. Once it is easier, I may as well stick with it.

Butterfly50
03-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Jest wanted to pop in for a minute and let you all know that I went to the Dr today with My aunt and the Dr told her that where the Lesion is in his experience that it is usually cancer so she has to see a special list and they will schedule to have a biopsy done. Then we will know for sure if it is or not.

Wannabehealthy
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Oh, Bonnie, I sure hope your aunt's lesion isn't cancer. It's on her pancreas, right? Pancreatic cancer is very deadly, although I heard it can be cured if caught very early. Thing is, most are not caught early. I guess it's good that the doctor was up front with her and told her right out what he suspects.

Wannabehealthy
03-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Boy! This is definately me! I have all these symptoms. But I'm not going to buy the book unless I find it somewhere used and cheap. It's probably going to say the same old stuff I already know but fail to do.

http://prevention.metabolismmiraclebook.com/metabolismmiraclebook/ccinc/index?keycode=192326&mktOfferId=PVN50849&product_code=072210&smartcode=1000680500154617001615191141620130328

fatmad
03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
today we are having a beautiful sunny day. Didn't fast, but have been eating ok so far. I did get out for a nice walk on the trail with the dog and DH. First exercise in a while, besides the little exercises the physio recommended for my shoulder. Felt good, hope I can keep it up.
Sorry to hear about your auntie Bonnie, hope things work out for the best.
Carol Sue: I have been reading about the fast diet lately, recommending not real fasting, but 2 days a week of severe calorie restriction.
I am interested, but as always, actually sticking to something is the hard part.

Wannabehealthy
03-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Carol Sue: I have been reading about the fast diet lately, recommending not real fasting, but 2 days a week of severe calorie restriction.
I am interested, but as always, actually sticking to something is the hard part.

I just heard of that recently, and my thoughts are this. Once you lose the weight, will you continue to do the 2 day semi-fast? If you go back to regular eating you will gain back what your lost. You have to have a plan for maintenance, as that is harder than losing. I just cannot stick to a formal diet.

I only successfully lost weight once in my life and it was by portion control. I was in my 20's and I knew nothing about dieting, so I just ate smaller portions at meals and no junk food and exercised. I ate everything, but just in smaller amounts. When I got married, my good diet habits went out the window and I gained, and gained and gained. For me personally, I have to have a plan that is a permanant way of eating, not a diet. Now I am at a point that I have all the information on what are the best foods, etc. My problem is compulsive over-eating. I am not like those people they show who will sit down and eat a whole carton of ice cream followed by a whole chocolate layer cake, but I eat between meals when I'm not the slightest bit hungry, I sometimes eat until I am stuffed and feel very uncomfortable and I eat because my DH is eating. For the most part I eat healthy food, but even healthy food can make you gain weight if you eat too much. I need something psychlogical to get my mind back to eating for nourishment instead of pleasure.

We know we can do this if we get the right frame of mind.

fatmad
03-30-2013, 07:41 PM
carol sue: my impression is that you do keep up with the fasting, you may go to once a week, or once every 2 weeks depending on weight maintenance needs, so yes, it is a lifetime plan.
Need to keep up with careful meal planning. I am exercising a bit more yesterday and today, and hope getting the meals in order will do it.

pattygirl63
03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Bonnie So sorry to hear about your aunt. Hope things go well for her.

slmn, fatmad, Ruthie and others:wave:

I've been trying to keep my carbs around 20 for the AI, but messed up yesterday. My fault because I didn't read the label. I bought precooked ribs and washed off the sauce, but still tasted sweet. I had to count most of the carbs. But I didn't do like I normally would have done. Instead, I continued on the low carb the rest of the day. So except for the one goof up, I've been on plan for almost a whole week. Monday will be a week. I've decided to stick with this even when the rash is gone and my fbs is back to normal. I've been reading a lot of recipes from another site and I am finally feeling good about it again. I want to see this to through and be an Atkins success story. Took me a long time to get my act together, but I believe I fainally have. Whatever anyone is going through, I would say just keep on keeping on and it will finally click and come together.

HAVE A HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!!

fatmad
03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Trish, thats awesome. I can't remember the last time you were able to stick to a plan so long! I am thinking that with pre-planning you can also go with the intuitive eating times you prefer, and stick to it long term. How inspiring.
I hope to stick to such a plan today.
I did plan to enjoy some chocolate yesterday, and frankly felt pretty sick afterward. I didn't have THAT much, but it was really candy, not like high quality dark chocolate. Blech, I didn't know that would happen, and I didn't even have a ridiculous amount like I planned.
That was yesterday. I went to Lilia's and had my second annual easter egg dyeing and hunt and brought an easter basket of chocolate for her. I ate the "left over" chocolate I didn't put in the basket.
Today is actually easter and I have another little girl coming over to colour eggs and set up a hunt for her siblings. I should be able to stick to plan.

FYi, for breakfast I have been going "higher" carb. I have 3/4 cup high fat (9%) greek yogurt, 2 tblsp of "holy crap" cereal with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. I figure it comes to 20 g carbs, but LOTS of fibre.
Its easy, and I have been eating it most days. I am quite regular this way, and can have it several days a week without getting bored. I am taking the raisins and craisins out of the cereal to reduce the carbs.
Anyhow, hope everyone has a good Easter and some quality family time.

pattygirl63
03-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Fatmad What is in the "holy crap" cereal? Did you make it up? I thought of buying the Greek yogurt (I noticed one brand at the store is about 9 carbs I think). I wonder if I could use it and maybe flaxseed as a cereal. Do you have flaxseed in your cereal. Thought I might eat it for breakfast when I move from Induction. Yes, it is true I can use IE with Atkins.

You know I've learned not to wait till the next day when I goof up as it is too easy to not get back on plan. I just make my next meal or snack OP. Feels so good. Eat out for breakfast after church every Sunday. I got the Western Omlet. Eggs were sooooo fluffy, I'm not sure how they do that. They advertise they mix them until fluffy... hope that means beating the whites and not adding somethig else that is carby. They do feel like air so maybe they just beat the egg whites and then fold in the yolk. Hope so. Gong to count them as 8 carbs and hope that works. I didn't eat all the onion and tomato in it so hope I'm not to low on my count. Will eat very low count the rest of the day.

Ruthxxx
04-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Let's go to the April thread.