Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #1  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

Default Question about Juicers - best brand?

Hey all - I'm really upping my veggie and fruit intake as the bulk of my daily calorie intake. I would love to start my day with a veggie/fruit smoothie, sneak some kale in there, etc., but I am wary of juicers that take the pulp out - that's where all the vitamins and fiber are, which I know is why so many people say just to eat the fruit whole. I would love the option of a hearty smoothie with the pulp - can anyone recommend a good juicer that doesn't extract the pulp?

Let me know!

-Jessica
Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/243/150

Height: 5'4"

Maybe what you are looking for is a blender or an emulsifier. A juicer is just juice. A blender or emulsifier is more of a smoothie.
Lizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #3  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I have a small, Kitchen-Aid brand smoothie maker/blender. It's the toss it all in, blend it up, cap it off and go version. $15.00 at Wal-Mart. I've used it for spinach, kale, yogurt, fruit (fresh and frozen) and veggies. I've never used it for anything hard, like carrots or sweet potatoes, but it works great for everything else, inclusing small amounts of ice. I love it, especially when I was a FT student/FT job and 2 kids. I'd load it all in there, the night before, splash some almond milk or water in it in the am, then blend and go.

I also have a juicer, it removes all the pulp, I toss about 90% back in, add it to smoothie maker and whirl it up. However, thats now 2 machines that need to be cleaned. Keep that in mind while you're deciding.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #4  

It's not exactly a smoothie but if you use frozen bananas in a juicer the result is a sort of ice cream like banana treat. It's just bananas and per your concern it doesn't take anything out.
Kisigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Heh, that's how juicers work. They extract the juice.
If you want to mix the pulp back in afterward, you can do that. Or get a blender and make smoothies.
Love this answer it is true ! I see so many comments about "juicers" removing the pulp, hello !
I want a juicer that does just that, juices and that I don't have to add water. I want 100% juice.
Amazon has a lot of comparisons on juicers.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I Just bought a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer (Harmony?) from Kijiji for 30 bucks. Its nearly new (wasn't cleaned very well 20 min of scrubbing later I could juice) and was, well... 30 BUCKS! If I hate it and don't like juicing, I can maybe re-kijiji it. If not, it was only 30 bucks.

As soon as it was clean enough, I juiced a couple of apples right away. Reasonable amount of juice from two small apples. I rinsed it all out again right away. I am impressed so far.

If you are not sure if you want juice/or smoothies, have a look on kijiji or craigslist for some cheap used machines. Give them a try and if you like it you can maybe move on to bigger and better things
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Height: 5'4"

We have a Vitamix. We call it The Veggie Mower...and for good reason. It has a 2.5hp motor and our lawn mower has a 3 if that puts it in better perspective. We can make smoothies out of anything, including wooden blocks if we wanted. It also makes soups if you run it long enough (about 6 minutes or so) and nut butters. You can also grind your own grains if you get the separate pitcher (which we did because we grind our own wheat for bread and baked goods.) It's also self cleaning...just add a few drops of soap, hot water, let it whiz for a minute, dump, rinse, air dry. It's pricey though but it's one of those things that you buy once and it will outlast you and probably your kids and grandkids.
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #8  
Just watch me ...

I have a Vitamix and it's really good.

You do want a blender, not a juicer, because with a juicer you lose the fiber. Straight fruit juice has too much of a sugar punch; even with a blender, you don't want to be putting in lots of fruit, you need to add some protein and greens to balance out the sugar. 100% juice sounds healthful, but it's lots of sugar.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

In my juicer I put apples. carrots, cucumbers, beets,etc. Plenty of vegies.
In my blender I put almond milk and bananas or strawberries but this is a smoothie not fruit juice.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Another fan of the Vitamix here... and for what you want to do it's probably the best way to go... I also have 2 juicers... a Champion and an Omega, but I don't use them anymore because I've changed my thinking about juicing and just don't think it's such a great idea anymore....

Last edited by TripSwitch; 02-27-2013 at 09:45 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #11  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

Vitamix sounds like the way to go - my BF's boss has one too. Thanks all!
Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote