Ideal Protein Diet - Coach said no substitutions?

View Full Version : Coach said no substitutions?

SFNinerGirl
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
So I told my coach yesterday that I sometimes have the EAS Carb Advantage shakes and I got a NO SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED speech. Yikes!

Despite my great losses, I was kind of upset by this. I feel like they just want the opportunity to sell me more and weren't focus on how I actually felt and was doing and what works best for me. :(

Any feedback on this? I'd really appreciate some insight on their response.

Thanks!

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
EAS Drinks don't have as much protein as IP's, with IP you are getting 98% of the protein EAS drinks you are not. That is the reason

SFNinerGirl
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I understand why wuv.... but it seems like people on 3FC use them with the protocol, and if I am only having them post workout or on the go AND still having my meals.... I don't understand the problem.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
I understand why wuv.... but it seems like people on 3FC use them with the protocol, and if I am only having them post workout or on the go AND still having my meals.... I don't understand the problem.

To be honest you are not following the protocol 100% per IP standards that is the problem. The people using them are NOT on IP \BUT following the protocol. The products we suggest you use after your workouts give your body the correct amount of nutrients it needs to replenish

scorbett1103
02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
It's because Ideal Protein is a business. If you aren't using their products,

- they aren't making money

- they aren't taught how to administer the program with anything but IP products

Yes, many people add Alternative products, or use exclusively alternatives but follow the IP protocol. But that's not necessarily with the blessings of an IP clinic. There are a few out there whose coaches are OK with the use of alternatives but by and large most want you using their products exclusively if they are also going to coach you.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
It's because Ideal Protein is a business. If you aren't using their products,

- they aren't making money

- they aren't taught how to administer the program with anything but IP products

Yes, many people add Alternative products, or use exclusively alternatives but follow the IP protocol. But that's not necessarily with the blessings of an IP clinic. There are a few out there whose coaches are OK with the use of alternatives but by and large most want you using their products exclusively if they are also going to coach you.

And Sorbett, you know I support both!...always have

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
The reason for no substitutions is because if you start messing with the protocal we can not predict your weight loss. It you do it the way it was designed they you will loose an average of 3-7lbs per week. Once you start deviating we can't control the outcome. It has nothing to do wanting you to spend money only on our products. And yes of course this is a business but when you look at all the food that is being taken out of your diet we need to make sure that you are getting the neccessary things put back in. If you don't like the way Ideal Protein runs their program then I would recommend you go lose weight a different way.

scorbett1103
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
The reason for no substitutions is because if you start messing with the protocal we can not predict your weight loss. It you do it the way it was designed they you will loose an average of 3-7lbs per week. Once you start deviating we can't control the outcome. It has nothing to do wanting you to spend money only on our products. And yes of course this is a business but when you look at all the food that is being taken out of your diet we need to make sure that you are getting the neccessary things put back in. If you don't like the way Ideal Protein runs their program then I would recommend you go lose weight a different way.

Now there's no need to take it that direction.

MANY of us have been very successful utilizing alternative products alongside the IP protocol. Nobody is knocking the program - which, by the way could also be followed simply by reading Tran's literature and is NOT exclusive to the clinics. And let's not pull the wool over anyone's eyes here - yes there is an element of ensuring your business is profitable. If a client is spending their money on alternatives, they aren't exactly helping to pay your coaches or overhead costs, are they?

NinjaNurse
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Do not get me started in the number of "coaches' out there who don't know how to coach at all. Getting a tongue lashing or being accused of cheating like I have is NOT professional. There are ways of handling things ESPECIALLY when you in a business that is supposed to be helping the people. It works both ways.

IP is expensive and we all knew that when we started. BUT the choices are limited and the non restricts not that good, except for a few. If someone wants to use alternatives, they shouldn't get a tongue lashing but either continued support OR told in a PROFESSIONAL manner that alternatives are not allowed in the program at their clinic.

WOW, I think I have gotten the courage to talk to my coaches tomorrow, come what may.

BTW: I only use EAS now in my coffee. It has not in anyway affected my losses.

leannekarella
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
So I told my coach yesterday that I sometimes have the EAS Carb Advantage shakes and I got a tongue lashing and NO SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED speech blah blah blah.

Despite my great losses, I was kind of upset by this. I feel like they just want the opportunity to sell me more and weren't focus on how I actually felt and was doing and what works best for me. :(

Any feedback on this? I'd really appreciate some insight on their response.

Thanks!

I had to admit to my coach I was using some alternatives because of 2 reasons. With my health issues, I cannot have high sodium foods. Unless all I want is puddings and drinks through IP, (which does not work for me) I have to find alterntives. ALSO... We're a financially struggling family, and when I spend in one month on IP product what I normally spend to feed a family of three... OUCH!

My coach was NOT happy with this, he let me know he was not happy, because he says "I don't know what you're eating".

That make sense in a way... Because he had no clue about the products I was talking about, such as Health Smart and Wonder Slim...maybe he should do some research? I don't know.

Basically, I told him I'm doing it this way, if you don't want to see me anymore, fine. He said he'd still see me.

That was pretty harsh. We're here for support, not tongue lashings. I have NEVER lost 3-7 lb a week, even when I was doing it strictly IP products. I am 2/3 alternative products now and loosing exactly the same amount of weight/average per week as I was from the beginning.

There is so much helpful information here on 3FC (Scorbett is my hero!) that I started searching ways to save money within the first few weeks, and by week 4 I was using them regularly. There ARE alternatives that work just fine on this diet...and you're right, maybe we're not fully IP, but we're following the protocol and can be 100% OP by sticking to it. That's what this diet requires, no matter what products we use, as long as we've done the research as to what is in them.

Starshine
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM

IP has stopped saying that people will lose 3-7 lbs a week, by the way. It's not realistic.

LexiChanel1
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
OH PUUUUUUUULEEEEESE!!!!!!! IP is a revenue producing business. We all know that. I don't like that we are all afraid to state our opinion on tbecause we will be attacked. I will not live in fear.....I have a right to say what I feel. Attack me if you so desire....I have more class than to attacke you:) Some of us don't have the money to spend on IP $27.00/ box. I supplement the required amount of protein as I am sure all others do as well on alternatives. EAS costs less than 50 percent of IP. Please give the "poor" folks a break:) We want to lose weight too:)

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
I am not trying to "attack" anyone by any means! That is the last thing I want. I am a coach for IP and have been a dieter as well. I also worked for the company for a while. Of course they want to make a profit. No one is denying that. I have been to training with the company and have met Dr Tran in person. He is all about helping people reach optimal health. This diet is designed to keep the muscle and trim the fat. I just don't understand how you can do that on your own if you don't follow the protocal. Yes you may be losing the weight but do you know if you are losing mucsle and fat? Do you have a way of measuring that at your gym? or at home? I do have some dieters that only eat 2 of our meals a day and they are slowly losing. I just can't predict their results. I want to help people feel the way I do! THIS diet changed my life and I did have a hard coach. But I am very greatful for making the sacrifices I did to be able to afford to be on this plan. I wish everyone luck on their own journey to a healthier life!

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
And they may have stopped saying 3-7 pounds a week but it is not because it is unrealistic. I lost 3.5 pounds a week for 5 months. They stopped saying it because people were not following it the way it was written so they can't guarentee the results. :) I feel like people are angry with the company and I am not sure why. If you don't like it then why are you doing it? Is someone forcing you to diet?:hug:

ladylunk
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM

I was under the impression that the 3-7 lbs weight loss per week were old numbers and that the updated numbers for women anyway are much lower 2-3 is what my coach tells me. She said anything over 3 is more in line with mens losses.

Starshine
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
I am not trying to "attack" anyone by any means! That is the last thing I want. I am a coach for IP and have been a dieter as well. I also worked for the company for a while. Of course they want to make a profit. No one is denying that. I have been to training with the company and have met Dr Tran in person. He is all about helping people reach optimal health. This diet is designed to keep the muscle and trim the fat. I just don't understand how you can do that on your own if you don't follow the protocal. Yes you may be losing the weight but do you know if you are losing mucsle and fat? Do you have a way of measuring that at your gym? or at home? I do have some dieters that only eat 2 of our meals a day and they are slowly losing. I just can't predict their results. I want to help people feel the way I do! THIS diet changed my life and I did have a hard coach. But I am very greatful for making the sacrifices I did to be able to afford to be on this plan. I wish everyone luck on their own journey to a healthier life!

Many of us use the Omron scale which measures fat/muscle, etc. at home. I'm following the IP protocol, but have been using alternatives all along, and my losses have been in line with that 3+ pounds a week that IP used to advertise. There is no IP clinic where I live, and besides, I could not afford to use the IP products, so this forum has taught me so much about this diet (and Dr. Tran's site too).

This diet has changed my life too. I love it!

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Yes Men do lose more than women. If you take your average over the course of the weight loss program it averages between 3-7 pounds a week. Some weeks you will lose 2 some weeks you might lose 4. That is why they average it out.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
I was under the impression that the 3-7 lbs weight loss per week were old numbers and that the updated numbers for women anyway are much lower 2-3 is what my coach tells me. She said anything over 3 is more in line with mens losses.

Correct!

Starshine
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM

That's what I thought too. There are lots of people on this forum who are 100% OP and have never had losses at 3-7 pounds a week.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes Men do lose more than women. If you take your average over the course of the weight loss program it averages between 3-7 pounds a week. Some weeks you will lose 2 some weeks you might lose 4. That is why they average it out.

Where in WA are you? I'll be there in April for the super weekend! I just went to the one here in New Orleans

Starshine
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM

I don't see that many people are losing like that. We, longtime folks, are averaging are losses, but those 4 pound losses are thought to be whooshes a lot of times, and not a normal event.

Look at WUV. She's been 100% and her losses haven't been 3-7 pounds a week. She's a hero to so many of us here. :)

leannekarella
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM

MY coach and paperwork from him said 2-5 for women; 3-7 for men.

M35A2
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
And they may have stopped saying 3-7 pounds a week but it is not because it is unrealistic. I lost 3.5 pounds a week for 5 months. They stopped saying it because people were not following it the way it was written so they can't guarentee the results. :) I feel like people are angry with the company and I am not sure why. If you don't like it then why are you doing it? Is someone forcing you to diet?:hug:

Sorry but what I think you are missing here is that people aren't complaining about the diet just that they get upset when a coach berates them for using an alternative (which may meet every guideline as an IP product) instead of one from IP. People still like the protocol or diet but maybe can't afford the IP prices or want something a little different.

As far as the losses, I'm a male (last I checked anyway) and I've been 100% OP (with ONLY IP products), and my coach is complaining because I'm not losing enough. She hasn't accused me of cheating (yet) but the looks she gives me certainly says she's thinking it. Everyone is different and are going to lose at different rates. I'm happy with what's going on but can certainly understand people who want to mix things up a bit.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't see that many people are losing like that. We, longtime folks, are averaging are losses, but those 4 pound losses are thought to be whooshes a lot of times, and not a normal event.

Look at WUV. She's been 100% and her losses haven't been 3-7 pounds a week. She's a hero to so many of us here. :)

My average over 97 weeks and losing 236lbs is 2.43lbs

leannekarella
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
OH PUUUUUUUULEEEEESE!!!!!!! IP is a revenue producing business. We all know that. I don't like that we are all afraid to state our opinion on tbecause we will be attacked. I will not live in fear.....I have a right to say what I feel. Attack me if you so desire....I have more class than to attacke you:) Some of us don't have the money to spend on IP $27.00/ box. I supplement the required amount of protein as I am sure all others do as well on alternatives. EAS costs less than 50 percent of IP. Please give the "poor" folks a break:) We want to lose weight too:)

AMEN! LOL

And we are on the IP forums because we follow the IP plan. Even if we don't use the food, we love the support and to not be told to go away and do something else if we can't afford IP.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Sorry but what I think you are missing here is that people aren't complaining about the diet just that they get upset when a coach berates them for using an alternative (which may meet every guideline as an IP product) instead of one from IP. People still like the protocol or diet but maybe can't afford the IP prices or want something a little different.

As far as the losses, I'm a male (last I checked anyway) and I've been 100% OP (with ONLY IP products), and my coach is complaining because I'm not losing enough. She hasn't accused me of cheating (yet) but the looks she gives me certainly says she's thinking it. Everyone is different and are going to lose at different rates. I'm happy with what's going on but can certainly understand people who want to mix things up a bit.

It upsets me til no end when coaches "assume" there is cheating or you are not doing something correctly. My people will NEVER hear the word ONLY when they have a loss. I don't expect them to lose big numbers every week, I have been there I KNOW it don't happen reguardless if you are 100% or not. I have been 100% since day one 97 weeks ago and have had small losses, NO losses and even gains...WHY??? I have no clue, my body just didn't want to let go of anything that week for whatever reason. It didn't matter to me as long as something was coming off it didn't matter to me. Usually when I have small losses I would lose inches, SOMETHING was coming off that is all that mattered to me

Suchawittygal
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
They are in ti for the profit...its as damn business. My coach dropped me because I was buying my IP products online (mainly because she NEVER had the products I wanted to buy). Her loss, now she can't show my before and after pictures to bolster her business...AND she lost my husband's business also. He just started Alternatives and is down 9 lbs in the first 5 days already.

I was 100% OP all the time and still only averaging 2 lbs a week.

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I am in Auburn but I used to Coach at Bothell Chiropractic and Wellness with Dr Dusty. I know you have been in contact with her. She has the most amazing office. You will not believe it when you see it! She has her own gym now for IP dieters. She has done a great job there! :hug:

SylviesGirl
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
And we are on the IP forums because we follow the IP plan. Even if we don't use the food, we love the support and to not be told to go away and do something else if we can't afford IP.

Agree. :high:

In my experience, most people with a weight problem significant enough to bring them to this plan have been berated and accused and suspected and blamed for their weight issues over and over again. They have been made to feel inferior and to feel ashamed and to feel set apart for too long. IP coaches (as well as mere commentators on forums) would do well to remember that. People need support, understanding, and encouragement. Most of that can be accomplished in the way to speak to people, regardless of corporate policy. I will no longer hand over money to anyone who makes me feel bad about myself . . . whether I am buying enough of their products or not.

wuv2bloved
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I am going to step out of this thread, I wish everyone great success on whichever path you choose :)

Roo2
02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I use IP products only .:carrot:
Started June 2012 - January 31st 2013 reached Goal...went from 212lbs -120 lbs. decided to continue to reach lower goal !
Now am presently 114.8 lbs.:D
I am truly blessed I have an Awesome very successful coach that is well liked and loved by her clients.:D
She inspires them ...but they have to buy into the program and work it!:carrot:

I have never been Berated and have Always felt supported and encouraged!
My Coach convinced me to give IP a chance I was heading in another direction and had already been pre certified .
I will always be grateful she convinced me of the possibilities!:D

I think I got the results that I was looking for and in a short timeframe !:carrot:

You can't Argue with results when staying IP!

She really also impressed upon me having Positive mindset was an integral part of the process.:carrot:

She was right !:D
:):)
I have enjoyed the journey .:)

We all have struggles in life it 's the way that we choose to deal with them that makes the difference.:hug:

I am so grateful to Ideal Protein ! it gave me back my old self!:carrot:
I wish everyone great success on your goals !:hug::hug::hug:
Good Luck, Roo2 :carrot::carrot::carrot:

SFNinerGirl
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Wow.... I really did not mean for this to become so heated.

I've only been doing this for 3 weeks so I'm still learning. I had no idea I could be dropped for using alternative, I was never given the laws of IP. The only reason I got the idea for EAS was from the 3FC forum.... and it was something I considered mainly because I am on the road all day for my job and there is a convenience there for me if I cannot make a packet.

It's not a cost thing for me, I don't have a problem with IP products. Sincerely, it was convenience and the great advice I receive from people like Scorbett who has been tremendous help in the process.

I'm definitely caught off guard by some comments here suggesting I leave the program if I don't like it. Not encouraging by any means but I guess if that works for your clients, have at it.

I know for me, since dropping the restricted and adding EAS shake IF I need it, my weight loss went from 3.5 to 5.8 in a week's time. I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it's something to consider as every BODY is different and responds differently to IP.

Lots to think about here. I appreciate everyone's feedback and support that gave it, it's great to hear everyone's experience and input on the subject so that I know how the IP system works moreso than what I was informed.

lisa32989
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
There are too many variables to predict the outcome!
So many hormones and neurotransmitters involved in weight loss (start with Cortisol & Leptin, but I could go on), add amount of sodium eaten, things like constipation, different medical conditions/medications being taken...even a well-trained medical professional who specializes in obesity can't predict weekly weight loss. It isn't a "given" and it definitely isn't linear!

Don't kid yourself about the 3-7 lb weight loss...the US FDA made them take it out so they could advertise. It IS all about the almighty $$. There is nothing wrong with having a business, but it is time to be honest. If you're going to come in here and berate people for trying to save some $$$, make sure you have your facts in order.

JohnP
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I know for me, since dropping the restricted and adding EAS shake IF I need it, my weight loss went from 3.5 to 5.8 in a week's time. I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it's something to consider as every BODY is different and responds differently to IP.

Just a note - it's very important to understand the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

I repeat this over and over because it is a truly critical point everyone should understand because the big measure of progress is the scale.

Weight loss is not linear. It's sometimes unpredictable.

My simple point is you didn't go from 3.5 to 5.8 lbs of weight loss because of adding in EAS shake and dropping restricted. Next week you could have a 2 lb losee under the exact same conditions.

Fat loss is fairly linear and is an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories.

Weight loss is much more complex and with women it literally can change based on the cycle of the moon...

JohnP
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
There are too many variables to predict the outcome!
So many hormones and neurotransmitters involved in weight loss (start with Cortisol & Leptin, but I could go on), add amount of sodium eaten, things like constipation, different medical conditions/medications being taken...even a well-trained medical professional who specializes in obesity can't predict weekly weight loss. It isn't a "given" and it definitely isn't linear!

You're not kidding! Weight loss on a weekly basis is impossible to predict, by anyone.

The good news is that weight loss week to week doesn't matter, but of course there is promotional advertising to consider.

amberjules
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM

"If you don't like the way Ideal Protein runs their program then I would recommend you go lose weight a different way." Little harsh don't you think?????? :mad:

Apparently you are a business owner/coach because nobody on this forum as dieters talks to people in the manner that you just spoke. Look at Wuv's comment above. Total supporter of either way as long as the person is being supported and losing weight to get healthy and fit and reach their goals. That's truly LOVE (WUV), not a business.

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
I am going to leave this thread and I do hope you all have great success in your weight loss journey. I feel as though through these messages I have been misunderstood. I am a great coach and have great success with all my dieters! I hope that you all continue in your own weightloss journey! Best of luck!! :hug::wave:

amberjules
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I am in Auburn but I used to Coach at Bothell Chiropractic and Wellness with Dr Dusty. I know you have been in contact with her. She has the most amazing office. You will not believe it when you see it! She has her own gym now for IP dieters. She has done a great job there! :hug:

Just had to say that I'm thoroughly disgusted with your original comments. I actually am at Dr DuBois IP clinic and none of the coaches have acted like you do.

You may not feel you were attacking anybody or no harm in your comments, but it was. All of us are trying to achieve a goal and for a coach to come on the forum and say that if you don't like...take a hike is crazy.

JohnP
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Just had to say that I'm thoroughly disgusted with your original comments. I actually am at Dr DuBois IP clinic and none of the coaches have acted like you do.

I'm not a defender of IP but I personally think your hyperbole here is worse than the person you're critcizing.

Nifferg91 is merely repeating the company mantra (inaccurate though it may be) and while she is clearly has room to grow and learn I don't believe she was being mean spiritied. I just don't think she knows any better.

LexiChanel1
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
AMEN! LOL

Thank you for your support:) I am unemployed and cannot afford IP. Allot of people have been nice to me on this site and I couldnt have done it without you:)

lcheech
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Wow!! so much for the positive energy on this forum. Let's blame it on the no carbs! ;) kidding kidding.

I have been on IP for 4 weeks now. My coach has only given me Proti-Diet food. She used to and still does sell some IP products. But she likes Proti-Diet better. the Program is the same, but the food is essentially a different brand. And as of last week (3 weeks in) I'm down 15 lbs and 11 inches. So I think, in generality, we all are losing weight in our ways by tweeking this and that... and blah blah blah.

Yes we are all eating pretty much the same food, but you have to remember, we have all cut out sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and certain fats. I think that alone, would allow us to lose weight. The Ideal Protein program is making our lives a little easier. If it wasn't for the program itself, I don't think any one of us would be happy. ( IE:Really I can't have chocolate for 6-8 months while I'm trying to lose weight)... really how realistic is that? I'm going to eat a Proti-Diet chocolate peanut butter bar.. yay chocolate :) It's helping us curb our cravings. Come on, really, we can't even eat any fruit for Goodness sakes!!

At the end of the day I beleive: IP and alternative foods, make our weight loss goals a little easier to achieve because cutting out the foods that are "no good" for you for a very long period of time... It would be an epic fail for all of us.

amberjules
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm not a defender of IP but I personally think your hyperbole here is worse than the person you're critcizing.

Nifferg91 is merely repeating the company mantra (inaccurate though it may be) and while she is clearly has room to grow and learn I don't believe she was being mean spiritied. I just don't think she knows any better.

No hyperbole here. I really was disgusted. :D

NinjaNurse
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Agree. :high:

In my experience, most people with a weight problem significant enough to bring them to this plan have been berated and accused and suspected and blamed for their weight issues over and over again. They have been made to feel inferior and to feel ashamed and to feel set apart for too long. IP coaches (as well as mere commentators on forums) would do well to remember that. People need support, understanding, and encouragement. Most of that can be accomplished in the way to speak to people, regardless of corporate policy. I will no longer hand over money to anyone who makes me feel bad about myself . . . whether I am buying enough of their products or not.

I think I love you!!! I am printing this and bringing it to my WI tomorrow.
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

DJ72
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
My two cents....7 lbs a week on a consistent basis is UNREAL and UNHEALTHY! Everybody knows that deep down inside. You may have a few good plummets if you have a lot to lose, but NOBODY will consistently lose 7 lbs a week!
I don't support any coaches out there who belittle and harsh their dieters. Shame on them for abusing their so called power. Shame! They are hired to be helpful not nasty! There is constructive criticism and then there are just jerks who think they are something by being a coach. Really? Rethink that!
This site has many unpaid coaches here who are doing exactly what they should be...providing info and support. I strongly think a Dr following you is more important than a paid coach!
Thanks to my coaches here! They have been a lifesaver and I appreciate it!

SFNinerGirl
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

You may not feel you were attacking anybody or no harm in your comments, but it was. All of us are trying to achieve a goal and for a coach to come on the forum and say that if you don't like...take a hike is crazy.

I couldn't agree with you with more. Thank you for saying what I couldn't.

SFNinerGirl
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Just a note - it's very important to understand the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

I repeat this over and over because it is a truly critical point everyone should understand because the big measure of progress is the scale.

Weight loss is not linear. It's sometimes unpredictable.

My simple point is you didn't go from 3.5 to 5.8 lbs of weight loss because of adding in EAS shake and dropping restricted. Next week you could have a 2 lb losee under the exact same conditions.

Fat loss is fairly linear and is an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories.

Weight loss is much more complex and with women it literally can change based on the cycle of the moon...

I understand that better than most being a pre-med major. The point I was trying to make was that incorporating restricted one week vs. incorporating EAS drinks instead made an impact.

And I did lose body fat as well as 4 inches from my waist AND my hips for a total of 8 inch loss altogether.

Weight loss is obviously not linear, but I do believe in the ketogenic approach above all other weight loss plans out there.

PS- I'm in the East Bay too :)

lisa32989
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow!! so much for the positive energy on this forum. Let's blame it on the no carbs! ;) kidding kidding.

I have been on IP for 4 weeks now. My coach has only given me Proti-Diet food. She used to and still does sell some IP products. But she likes Proti-Diet better. the Program is the same, but the food is essentially a different brand. And as of last week (3 weeks in) I'm down 15 lbs and 11 inches. So I think, in generality, we all are losing weight in our ways by tweeking this and that... and blah blah blah.

Yes we are all eating pretty much the same food, but you have to remember, we have all cut out sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and certain fats. I think that alone, would allow us to lose weight. The Ideal Protein program is making our lives a little easier. If it wasn't for the program itself, I don't think any one of us would be happy. ( IE:Really I can't have chocolate for 6-8 months while I'm trying to lose weight)... really how realistic is that? I'm going to eat a Proti-Diet chocolate peanut butter bar.. yay chocolate :) It's helping us curb our cravings. Come on, really, we can't even eat any fruit for Goodness sakes!!

At the end of the day I beleive: IP and alternative foods, make our weight loss goals a little easier to achieve because cutting out the foods that are "no good" for you for a very long period of time... It would be an epic fail for all of us.
Actually, I see this as positive energy. Our 3FC IPers came together to defend. Teamwork!
And to let SFNinerGirl know she is WELCOME to use alt products and should not be berated nor made to feel bad. The only thing she did wrong was spill the beans to her coach, rather than keeping it to herself (and isn't it too bad that is necessary!)

It really IS a banner day...I even agreed with John! :dizzy:

Your coach is able to use ProtiDiet products b/c Dr Tran Tein's protocol was not written for a specific product. If you read his first book or his website, you'll see he just calls for low carb/fat protein powder.

I understand how a coach only wants people using IP products for 2 main reasons. First, they don't make any money if the product isn't purchased from them. Secondly, the training they have is only IP training. So IP is all they know how to coach. If someone strays from that, they can "guess" but the training is specifically for IP products.

Those of us (for whatever reason) who are using other products (well, some of us) have read about the science behind the protocol and we know it has less to do with one brand of product than IP would have one believe. Some people have chosen alt brands due to finances. I have chosen alt products due to avoidance of soy and gluten for medical reasons. IP is way too heavy on both and eliminating them left me a very small repertoire from which to choose. My coach knows I would use more IP products if they'd reformulate into a healthier version. Until then, I have to look elsewhere for crunchy snack foods and bars.

So nice to have everyone have a common cause!
Now, back to your regularly scheduled diet :)

wendywendy
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow.... I really did not mean for this to become so heated.

I've only been doing this for 3 weeks so I'm still learning. I had no idea I could be dropped for using alternative, I was never given the laws of IP. The only reason I got the idea for EAS was from the 3FC forum.... and it was something I considered mainly because I am on the road all day for my job and there is a convenience there for me if I cannot make a packet.

It's not a cost thing for me, I don't have a problem with IP products. Sincerely, it was convenience and the great advice I receive from people like Scorbett who has been tremendous help in the process.

I'm definitely caught off guard by some comments here suggesting I leave the program if I don't like it. Not encouraging by any means but I guess if that works for your clients, have at it.

Lots to think about here. I appreciate everyone's feedback and support that gave it, it's great to hear everyone's experience and input on the subject so that I know how the IP system works moreso than what I was informed.

Wow...I can't believe the responses I've read in this thread and that some people feel that they can get on here and say whatever they like, however discouraging it may be. I think that some people may forget how it was when they started IP and had TONS of questions and this forum provided a safe and inviting place to get the answers that has helped them achieve their successess.....Remember that all coaches are not created equal therefore there is a LOT of questions that most of us have had because some coaches are definately better then others, unfortunately!

Your coach or any coach should NOT berate or lecture anyone but rather explain the reasons for adhering to the IP protocol. I used EAS for a little while and didn't see any change to my weight loss. When my coach and I discussed this she told me that, as a Nutritionist herself, that IP was developed as a well "unbalanced" (Tran's word) weight loss program. Even though EAS is closely calculated to an IP shake the amount of protein is still not the same that we digest therefore we are at risk of not getting enough protein overall and could be faced with losing muscle mass which we do not want. Also she said that if we are following the IP program and using alternatives and if something medically started to occur, such as issues with our liver, pancreas etc she wouldn't be able to detect whether it was from the program itself, the EAS drinks or as a result of the combination. In my opinion, for me, this made sense so I've stop using EAS drinks and made the decision that if I'm dedicated to this program then I am going to follow it 100% so I can achieve my goal. I've switched to IP ready made Chocolate drinks which works very well for convenenience even though it cost more that EAS....but I'm worth it and this "diet" protocol is not forever......

I wish you much success and please don't let a few vocally ignorant people on here discourage you from achieving your success. There are many many wonderful, informative and supportive people on this forum to keep you going, answer your questions and to treat you respectfully!!! :hug:

p.s....doesn't Wuv look amazing!!!

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Im sorry you feel that way. I am not saying take a hike. There are certain clinics that follow the IP way to the T. They have great results. All I am saying is that I am hired to be a coach. Just like when you hire a personal trainer they are there to coach you in what they were taught. If one of my dieters doesn't want to follow the rules I simply ask them when they ask why they are not losing to examine what they are eating. If it is not on protocal That is my only explanation as to why they are not losing. Please don't be offended by what was typed. I know that Dr Dubois is a very strick clinic. That is where I lost my weight and where I was trained as a coach. She is very successful and it is because she follows the protocal. Again I am sorry you or anyone took what I said wrong!

ustasmom
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
The response from my clinic was that these were knock-offs of IP and not even FDA-approved.

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Ok ok Everyone It appears to more than person that I have offended them with my comment of "going and losing weight a different way" I apologize if that came across wrong. I am in no way a negative or hurtful person. I am really sorry this went this direction. Please know that I am very passionate about IP and the protocal. It changed my life. I live for helping people with the struggle of weight loss. I only meant if you don't like what your coach is telling you then why pay for the products and continue on. I truely wish everyone could find what works for them to be successful at losing weight now matter what it is as long as it is healthy. Again please accept my apology for coming across negatively!!

Roo2
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
. I might be the only to say this to you So here I go...

I think it took a lot of courage for you to post again and apologize if anyone misconstrued your intentions:hug:
That shows a great deal of Courage:carrot:

I hope we are all here to gain insight and possibly a different way of looking at something.

We should all be able to share opinions without becoming rude to each other.

Again Nifferg91 I think you showed Real courage to try to correct and apologize..:hug:
:hug::hug:
LET's Have A DO Over !!Shall WE:D
Good Luck to everyone and let's keep striving to reach our goals,Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot:

lcheech
02-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I agree. Kudos to you for apologizing. Takes guts to do it.

Don't worry to much about it. We are all human, and people will forgive and forget. :)

nifferg91
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you Roo2 and Icheech. I appriciate the response! Have a great rest of the day!

amberjules
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Ok ok Everyone It appears to more than person that I have offended them with my comment of "going and losing weight a different way" I apologize if that came across wrong. I am in no way a negative or hurtful person. I am really sorry this went this direction. Please know that I am very passionate about IP and the protocal. It changed my life. I live for helping people with the struggle of weight loss. I only meant if you don't like what your coach is telling you then why pay for the products and continue on. I truely wish everyone could find what works for them to be successful at losing weight now matter what it is as long as it is healthy. Again please accept my apology for coming across negatively!!

I do appreciate you coming on here and apologizing. I'm sure you're not a negative or hurtful person, it was just tough for people to read what you wrote because this place is always so positive and there are many people on here who have been burned by bad coaches. Just want people to know there are alternatives and support for those who either can't afford IP or choose to use alternatives but follow the IP protocol which works, as you have said. This is their way of losing weight.:)

Thank you for your apology. :)

JohnP
02-27-2013, 12:07 AM
No hyperbole here. I really was disgusted. :D

Haha touche then! :D

... I do believe in the ketogenic approach above all other weight loss plans out there.

PS- I'm in the East Bay too :)

For the most part I agree but ultimately the best diet approach is context specific. There are insulin sensative people out there and they'll lose slower with a ketogenic approach. There are athletes that need to cut fat but also need to stay at a high level of conditioning.

Are you at UCSF? If so do you get to hear Dr Lustig lecture ever?

It really IS a banner day...I even agreed with John! :dizzy:

Amazing huh? Although I think techincally I was agreeing with you. See? I still found a way to disagree with you. :D

SFNinerGirl
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=JohnP;4647885]Haha touche then! :D

For the most part I agree but ultimately the best diet approach is context specific. There are insulin sensative people out there and they'll lose slower with a ketogenic approach. There are athletes that need to cut fat but also need to stay at a high level of conditioning.

Are you at UCSF? If so do you get to hear Dr Lustig lecture ever?

No, I am no longer a medical student. I actually work for The Food Network now :)

IrishLass59
02-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Lets see, how could we possibly have success re: muscle versus fat? We, as intelligent people, could carefully read the labels of any alternatives we choose. Find and use only alternatives that are very similar in protein, carbs and sugar content. Start an exercise program that builds muscle. Find the EXACT SAME IP product for less than half the outrageous price the IP program charges...should I go on. I am 2/3 alternative, losing 1 to 2 pounds per week, and I simply do not talk about it with my coach. I go there for the weigh-in - it keeps me accountable. I purchase a few 'favorite' products. Getting a dressing down from my coach - well that would be the last time I would ever purchase anything from them. Your comments were harsh, and frankly, demeaning. 'Grateful for the sacrifices you made', oh please! I am grateful for the money I am saving!!!