Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Default Kids and food

I have three kids..ages 13,8,5. My 13 is very active and fit, he eats lots of crap when he can but he also eats plenty of healthy(really its seems he is always eating) My 5 year old is fit and will try anything..she of course will eat the unhealthy food if its in front of her but she has no problems eating plenty of fruits, veggies and other healthy foods. My 8 year old is a little on the fuller bodied side..nothing crazy but I can see the potential..he absolutly refuses to eat vegtables..always has, when he was 3 my dr said to leave it alone and try again when he's older, big mistake. I do sneak stuff sometimes (spinach in his bannana smoothie etc)..he has a selct group of fruit he'll eat but every meal time and food choice is a problem..Im trying so hard to not make food an issue but I cant just let hiim eat what he wants cause it would be candy, french fries and pasta with butter all the time...

Now that I'm eating so healthy Its really opened my eyes..I need to find a way to teach the healthier eating, without turning them off from it. Has anyone else had these issues? What are some tricks to get kids eating healthier? Not sneaking, but actually getting them to enjoy and choose healthier foods?

thanks
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #2  

If you don't buy it, they can't eat it.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Thats true and I have stopped buying..but now every meal time is a major disater. I realize its not fair to just cold turkey an 8 year old so I first made subtle changes. No more lollipos from the bank, no more cookies in the house. Meal times you have to pick at least one healthy before the main dish. He loves bannana smoothies so we do that each night for dessert..I just really need to get him to open up to other options..what he really needs is a carb detox..he craves and asks for food all day long..Im obvioulsy not going to put him through that but like me..the first four days on this plan were absolutly neccessary to get the cravings out of me.
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #4  

I started slipping kale into spaghetti sauce and steamed veggies ... they don't even know they are eating it. (my store sells a huge bag that is chopped up very fine). I also stopped buying a lot of the junk because it would just talk to me but also they won't eat that instead of something healthy. They're being good sports because they want to support mom (so far anyway )
ecmcnamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

My kids are also extreme anti vegetable. I try to make the things they will eat as healthy as possible, and to try new things whenever I can. But both practically live on meat, brown rice, fruit and dairy. Well, plus cinnamon buns if I let them.

I'm hoping they grow out of it. My sister was exactly the same and she became a vegetarian in high school.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I instituted the same rule my mother had - if I made it, you eat it. If you don't eat it, you don't get to have snacks later - I will happily reheat what you didn't eat if you're that hungry.

We had more than a few bumpy evenings and still do (my kids are 6 and 3) - but I swore I would never become a short order cook at dinnertime. I can imagine it's a bit more difficult with kids that are older and have the capability to make themselves something else, but sometimes you just have to stick to your guns
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I instituted the same rule my mother had - if I made it, you eat it. If you don't eat it, you don't get to have snacks later - I will happily reheat what you didn't eat if you're that hungry.

We had more than a few bumpy evenings and still do (my kids are 6 and 3) - but I swore I would never become a short order cook at dinnertime. I can imagine it's a bit more difficult with kids that are older and have the capability to make themselves something else, but sometimes you just have to stick to your guns
Yep... That was and IS the rule in my house. My daughter's now 15, and the rule lives on.

The only exception to the rule is when food makes her physically gag. Learned that lesson with sauerkraut, cottage cheese and avocado. She's not required to eat those.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post

We are starting this now. My daughter (who's 4) had almost no dinner and deffo no dessert the other night.

She is like her Father in that veggies are not a huge hit. But, she loves cauliflower and carrots and is starting to like lettuce. She knows I am on a 'diet' although I am trying to teach her that I am making healthier choices since I am not a fan of the word DIET.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 306/ticker/220

Height: 6ft

I do most of the cooking in my house and love to do it...my kids, son 15 and daughter 11, love the roasted vegetables. I think at a young age, having those "junk" foods still aren't bad as long as its in moderation. Being active is key, because their metabolism can be so high.. they will burn it all off. BTW, my 15 yr old was a little "husky" also at that age.. he's now 6'2" 170lbs and wears a size 14 shoe.. they do thin out.
afbrown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #10  

Have your son cook with you. Let him pick out one "special" veggie to try at the store each week. If he doesn't like the veggie, try searching recipes with him online. A different recipe with that same veggie a different week.

I've done this with my kids and it really is amazing the knowledge and the gratification they get from these experiences. Not to mention, a little mom time, too.

Good luck to you and your family
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #11  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

My kids (ages 4, 5, 10 and 11) have not complained, but I don't give them as many veggies as I should but for the most part they eat the veggies I give them. BUT they are eating a lot better. A lot less carbs and fast food.

Mine actually are liking our new plan and glad I am cooking more. Snacks, well I have bought less junk.

My 11 year old's teacher said to him "So is mom and dad feeding you at home now that they are on a diet?" Connor - "Yes, I am loving it, mom is cooking a lot more like she use to" Teacher - "Oh you like that" Connor - "Yeah much better than fast food every night"

Teacher was joking I know lol...
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Not that i believe in deceiving your children, but there have been many cookbooks released that address the issues of veggies with kids. Basically it gives you the best veggie purees to add to various recipes to ensure that children are eating what they should nutritionally. It may be a helpful way to make sure your kids are eating enough vegetables while you work on adding obvious veggies to their plates.

I'm not a mom yet, but growing up if i didn't eat what was set in front of me, i didn't get anything else. Also, i was plied with "if you don't eat your vegetables, you're going to have bad skin". I swear i heard that every day my entire childhood. Best part was, it worked. I guess my mom knew it would play into my vanity...
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote