Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - one food you can't stand

View Full Version : one food you can't stand

Kisigin
02-26-2013, 12:01 AM
I was inspired to start this thread after reading the "vegetable you hate thread." I wanted to extend this to any food. So what is the one food that if it was the only thing on earth to eat, you would rather starve? Oh and it has to be relatively common. It can't be something that everyone in their right mind hates anyway.

For me it's scallops. The very smell of scallops will cause me to vomit. I mean I can't even be at the same table as someone eating them. I don't know what it is about them I love all other seafood. It's like some kind of reflex with me.:barf:

chubbiegurl
02-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Fish. The smell alone makes me sick. The hubby and his dad will cook it when I go out, but never open the darn windows and use so much oil it splatters all over the stove so when I get to clean their mess it smells of fishy oil. I can tolerate tuna from a can but it reminds me of when I used to have to feed my aunts cats. We have a nice neighbor that hunts and fishes a lot, so he brings fish over sometimes, lucky me.

Kisigin
02-26-2013, 12:51 AM
I remember back in college my friend Tim almost wanted to fight me because my fish sandwich was too close to his french fries. He's normally such an easy going guy but he has such an aversion to fish (I hadn't known before this). With him it's more than just disgust it's almost a phobia.

chubbiegurl
02-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Don't let your fish touch my food either. Lol. My sis is like that with onions, she will send a burger back that an onion has touched.

But no phobia for me I miss my goldfish Dorothy who passed away 6 months ago after 2 years. She kept me company while I spent time I the kitchen. My daughter laughed at how I talked to her.

alaskanlaughter
02-26-2013, 02:17 AM
spaghetti-Os.....i hate them with a passion...i ate them once, yes ONCE, when i was pregnant with my son and it made me horribly sick (like morning sickness, only mine was all-day sick with my son) ...to this day i can't stand the sight or smell of them and NEVER buy them for my kids....and my son, the one i was pregnant with, he's 15 now LOL

running a close second would be peanut butter jelly sandwiches....although i've been known to eat a bite when utterly starved, i can't stand them....again from pregnancy/being poor....when i was pregnant and very very poor, i worked at an office that had no refrigerator and all i could afford to take to work during that hot summer was a PBJ...and it sat on my desk getting all hot and soggy until lunchtime, when i had to eat it regardless...ugh turns my stomach just to think of that

and i dont like whole, cooked octopus either...nor boiled herring eggs, seaweed, seal oil or clams

Brandibooxoxo
02-26-2013, 03:03 AM
The Snyder's Honey Mustard Onion Pretzels, I got really sick after i ate them, (nothing to do with me eating them) and still almost 5 years later If I smell them I vomit, even if my fiance eats them and I smell them when he comes home I've vomited from that as well.

chubbiegurl
02-26-2013, 03:29 AM
@alaskanLaughter I ate Chinese food when pregnant with my son 16 years ago and it made me sick. The taste of it coming up always comes back to me when the hubby buys some. I usually have to leave the room. So I hate Chinese food too, Thai food noodles I can eat away. Love Thai food even though I got sick off of thai food 10 years ago durring u guessed it pregnancy. Don't know why that one doesnt faze me.

Fortunate
02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
lol im such a fussy eater, i hardly eat anything healthy, i cannot go near spinach, beans, lentils, and baby marrow and yams make me sick - dont even get me started on soup (especially chunky soup) or yougurt with fruit pieces in! a food must be solid or liquid, cant be both!

runthecontinent
02-26-2013, 06:30 AM
I can relate to the fish thing; I don't like fish either! Although I think there's a difference between different kinds of fish. Some (like a good clean piece of cod or sole) I can just stand if I have to, but all other types of fish are just too fishy for me. ;-)

Now the food I really really really hate, to the point where I make a scene every time I even smell it, is basically anything pickled. Mainly pickled onions and gherkins because those are the pickled things people eat here. They make me sick. Sadly, my boyfriend and my father love them. My father used to eat them out of the jar at breakfast which often resulted in heated discussions. ;-)

Kitcherella
02-26-2013, 06:42 AM
I am not a fussy eater. I am not squeamish. I have eaten very weird things. There is only one thing I would never ever eat under no circumstances. Marmite. Awful - how can people eat it and not spit it out?

Novus
02-26-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm very picky about fish. I like tilapia, flounder, cod, and tuna, but the mere smell of salmon makes me gag. And if I see any grey shiny scaly thing on a fish...ugh. :p

I really hate any vegetable that's been cooked to a colorless limp pile of sludge. And I cannot handle the texture of cooked spinach, especially canned spinach. I like raw spinach and sometimes I'll wilt it (by dunking it in hot water), but the texture of cooked spinach is just....wrong.

Beef liver. Again, it's a texture thing.

Onions. I'll use them for seasoning in cooking but I do not like anything with noticeable onions in or on it.

Iceberg lettuce. It's like chewing on crunchy water.

bubblybarrister
02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Yams/sweet potatoes - couldn't leave the table until I'd finished my dinner when I was little. Several condiments and hours later, I threw up while attempting to eat the yam. Now the smell alone just makes me ill.

Octopus - texture.

Yoghurt with pieces of fruit in it - ewwwwwww!

Oatmeal/tapioca/cream of wheat - soggy grossness to me!

nelie
02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Now for me, it is any meat but I used to have problems eating fish prior to giving up meat completely.

And... spaghetti shaped noodles. I used to get a gag reflex from trying to eat them but now, I get a gag reflex from even looking at them or a picture of them. My husband loves spaghetti so my mother in law will give him boxes of it and I refuse to cook it. Instead, I make other pasta for him.

luckymommy
02-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Canned spinach makes me gag. Green tea makes me vomit. And I would never take a single bite of SPAM.

Pink Hurricane
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Hard boiled or deviled eggs :no: Makes me want to puke just thinking about it, and I cannot stand the smell either!

FickleHearts
02-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Canned spinach makes me gag. Green tea makes me vomit. And I would never take a single bite of SPAM.

Hubby loves canned spinach. The smell of it makes me run to the bathroom. ADORE fresh spinach, but the canned stuff is horrendous!!!! Also, I second salmon. Just the thought makes me queasy. I'll eat any other kind of fish. Grew up on fish as I live on the coast and near lots of rivers, but HATE salmon.

Silverfire
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Water chestnuts. So. Gross.

Peanutbutter "flavored" things

Zucchini - especially in baked goods. Keep your nasty vegetables out of my dessert thank-you-very-much!

Ms A
02-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Any kind of fish. Ugh the smell alone makes me want to vomit...

Kisigin
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
This is a funny thread. So many strong feelings. For me I think the scallop thing was that originally I just didn't like them. But when I was a kid one night for dinner my mom made them and was so excited, she thought I loved them for some reason. Me, not wanting to disappoint choked them down and then a few hours later it was like bubblybarrister with the yams.

Years ago I had barbecue spare ribs and homemade brownies and then the next day I got the norovirus and for years I associated the taste of those foods with the nausea I experienced but I got used to them again eventually.

I'm surprised that so many people hate salmon specifically. I always thought its flavor was a little too mild.

April Snow
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
wow, lots of fish hate here! ;)

I love fish and most seafood. No raw oysters or clams on the half shell though, that's one thing I don't think could ever eat. And Kisigin, I don't like scallops either! Not to the extent of the way you feel about them, but they are the only seafood I can think of that I won't eat.

A lot of things, I don't like, but I am not too put off by them, I just won't eat them but don't care if others around me do.

elvislover324
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Eggs (fried, deviled, extra eggy with runny yolks) and tuna (or any fish really but canned tuna water in the sink is the grossest) make me gag! Yuck!!!

Just typing runny yolks made me dry heave, both times!

I only like eggs in my cakes and brownies.:D

Skellig19
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Canned vegetables of any kind but specifically green beans and corn. Absolutely disgusting!

I'm also in the fish camp and extend it to ALL seafood. The only kind of fish I will stomach is "fish n' chips" fish...skinless, flavourless, boneless, fried and smothered in tartar sauce until it doesn't resemble fish. I have tried countless times to like it (bites here and there from people's plates) and I inevitably spit it out.

I had some truly terrible beef liver so I won't go near that again!

Oddly I got deathly ill with typhoid fever while living in Mexico. The last thing I had before I started heaving was coffee. I will still drink coffee now though. It's THAT good. ;)

pluckypear
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Love fish and seafood but foods I hate, hate, hate that I tried growing up in a family with Brit grandparents- beef liver, kidneys, pickled pigs feet and Melton mowbray pork pie. My mom and sister loved steak and kidney pie and I could not even stand the smell. They also loved the other foods I mentioned and I tried them and could not believe how anyone liked them.

chubbiegurl
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I am not a fussy eater. I am not squeamish. I have eaten very weird things. There is only one thing I would never ever eat under no circumstances. Marmite. Awful - how can people eat it and not spit it out?

Had to google marmite and saw their slogan "love it or hate it" lol.

I can tolerate canned spinach if I cook with it, but my daughter eats it out of the can if it has a picture of Popeye on it, when she was 4 I used to carry a can of mixed veggies with me in case if she didn't like whatever was being cooked where ever we went. My cousin once said " yuck at least ask your mom to warm it up"

JollyGreenSteen19
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Coconut shrimp or fried mac and cheese balls. Both have given me a food sickness, and trust me, those do not come up the wrong way nicely.

Kisigin
02-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Coconut shrimp has always kind of sounded wrong to me. I guess because I think of coconut as only existing in sweet dishes. It has the same connotation as chocolate shrimp, (not that chocolate shrimp exists). I've actually always wanted to try marmite and vegemite for that matter just because of the Men at Work song.:)

AlmostMe
02-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Melon. Any kind. Melon flavoured anything. Fruit salad that has melon in it...and I love fruit salad.
Tapioca/rice pudding/ congee
Mayonnaise: unless it's in tuna... but not too much please! Tartar sauce is ok, too.
Sweet pickles. (Funny how mayo and sweet pickles are both gross, but tartar sauce which is both of them together is ok)
Organ meat: I think this may be more mental than anything else.

gailr42
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
I love seafood and fish. Especially scallops. LOL. Funny how people are different. Love my fish cooked or raw, on the half-shell or in sushi or just about any old way. Squid, Octopus, tuna, pickled herring - yum!

I have eaten everything mentioned above, including marmite - pretty salty!!!!! I have had lots of ethnic food in my travels and loved most of it and found none of it uneatable.

I do not love the Portuguese national dish - Salt Cod. It's not that I don't like cod, it is the extreme saltiness that gets to me.

I am not fond of brown rice - love white; love wild - brown always tastes rancid to me. Along the same lines, I have bought all kinds of whole wheat pasta. I can eat it, but I don't like it, so I let it sit in the pantry until it is too old to eat. There really is no substitute for good pasta.

Eggplant tastes like styrofoam, even soaked in grease.

Oh yes, Okra is probably almost uneatable. Breaded and fried in a ton of bacon grease so's you can't tell what it is maybe OK, but fixed in any way that is remotely healthy, forget it. My BIL gave me a bunch of okra and I was sure I could make something good - nope.

I don't like imitation grape flavored candy or drinks. Other imitation flavors - bring 'em on.

I have heard folks say they can't stand the icing on the cakes you order at the grocery store. Well, I love it. If it isn't greasy, it doesn't belong on the top of a cake. I don't like the "Fluffy" white stuff. I think "Fluffy" is code for non-fat.

Love liver, don't mind kidney. I haven't tried brains or tripe.

I always wish I didn't like everything. Maybe I would be thin. Hah! I just can't stand the idea of missing out on something delicious when the opportunity presents itself.

nelie
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh I forgot cake frosting in general. I don't like any of it. I always scrape the frosting off. I also don't care for pie, I wouldn't say I hate it just don't care for it.

As for canned spinach, I believe it is the source of my spinach hate for many of my years. My mom loved the stuff but the smell made me gag. I couldn't go near any cooked spinach for many, many years then in my 20s, I started to eat raw spinach then started lightly cooking spinach and now I love it but it was a long road from hate to love.

Suzanne 3FC
02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Can't stand the scent of cantaloupe. Mom used to have to give me a heads up so I could go somewhere every time they decided to cut one open.

Angel hair pasta. Ever since I saw the jar of heart worms at the vet, I've not been able to look at angel hair pasta the same way.

betsy2013
02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Cooked spinach where it's just served as cooked spinach -- don't mind it in with other things in cooked dishes or raw (yes, I know.....)

Okra -- unless it's in soups

Canned asparagus -- my mother would trot this out about once every three months because she loved it and the rest of us hated it. She was always "surprised" but then got to eat it all herself. Considering how hard she worked, she earned this little indulgence (although I would have picked chocolate!!!!).

Zeitgeist
02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
A second vote for water chestnuts. Can't stand them at all.

And any Goya product. Just seeing the label makes me nauseous.

Kisigin
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I've always had a weird relationship with strawberries. When I was a kid I was allergic, my ears would get all swollen whenever I ate them. Now I love strawberries in some foods, can't stand them in others. Strawberry milkshake=good, strawberry lemon-lime gatorade=puke.

Feisty1
02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Shrimp. Ew. All chewy and stringy. The texture is vile.

Menudo. My husband is from Juarez and his family cooks it regularly. The smell of pig's feet steeping all day smells like a rotting corpse. Foul.

nelie
03-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Ha, I used to love menudo but I never made it with pig's feet. I didn't like pig's feet, my grandfather and stepdad both loved pig's feet though. I have been meaning to make a vegetarian menudo but haven't had a chance.

Psychic
03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I hate tomatoes, bananas, and bell peppers. Oh, and horseradish.

lunameower
03-02-2013, 06:35 AM
I hate walnuts, they are like the poor man's pecan.

JollyGreenSteen19
03-02-2013, 06:21 PM
I agree with the frosting! I hate cake with a HUGE layer of frosting on top. I don't mind a little, but boy it makes me sick. It buries the cake, which is the good part :)

I've found a cool whip frosting at Target, in the freezer with regular cool whip. It only has 8g of sugar a serving, and it's divine. You might like it.

Bex1984
03-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Tomato! I just spent 10 minutes picking them up of a chicken souvlaki wrap!

Kisigin
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Walnuts on their own are a little too bitter but ironically I think they are a great addition to some things like chicken salad or chocolate chip cookies.

I don't know how anyone could hate tomatoes.

ryverthorn
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
*raises hand for hating tomatoes* They're just vile and horrid...texture...flavor....ew ...although I'm ok with ketchup and tomato sauce and my favorite kind of soup is tomato...go figure

Also not a fan of hard boiled eggs, fish (fish and chips fish is ok) and hate coconut

elvislover324
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I hate smelly stinky cheese, like bleu cheese. How people eat things that smell like sweaty feet grosses me out!!

lin43
03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm fascinated by reading this. I can't think of any particular food that I "hate." I guess I'm an oddball.

Jennifer1966
03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm not a fan of seafood, okra, or mushrooms.

olehcat
03-02-2013, 10:30 PM
brussel sprouts, cooked broccoli, eggplant

ham, milk of any kind (particularly skim milk)

Nzgirl
03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Peas. I have never liked them, I am also not a fan of mushrooms unless they are chopped up finely.

nelie
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
ham

Although I love brussels sprouts, I'll agree with this one and bacon as well. When I ate meat, there were next in line to my fish hate. I couldn't stand any meat that is sweetened and the smell of ham cooking and bacon were both suffocating.

Kisigin
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Ok since we're on the topic of meat have any of you had scrapple? I personally love the stuff but I figure it might conjure up some negative feelings in some.

Terra1984
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
peas,lima beans,Fish

crispin
07-12-2013, 12:18 AM
I haven't met it yet.

CherryChan
07-12-2013, 12:52 AM
dried fruits, except for mango... i love dried mango... :D

geoblewis
07-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Okra, rice pudding, and foods that are way too sweet. They all make me gag.

CherryChan
07-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Okra, rice pudding, and foods that are way too sweet. They all make me gag.

that's good for diet efforts! sugar is evil... and I have sweet tooth, SIGH!!! :dizzy:

Eat
07-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Since there are very few things I can smell, I'm a picky eater and judge a lot of food based on its texture. Because of this, there's a plethora of foods I can't stand. The ones I loathe the most are mushrooms, eggs, and chicken on the bone. Blecch!

greeneggsandtam
07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Coconut. Buckwheat noodles. And chocolate with any flavouring. Orange chocolate or mint chocolate. Who would do such an awful thing to chocolate?

mygirlvj
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Brussel sprouts, lima beans and anything coconut.

newleaf123
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh, how I got a chuckle out of this thread; so funny! Really the only thing I have come across in life that was so vile that I would never, ever eat it again no matter what is sea cucumber -- a nasty creature that lives on the bottom of the sea floor. I had it 27 years ago and honestly can't remember exactly why it was so vile, but I remember that it was and etched it in my psyche to never have it again.

Chronostasis
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I cannot stand seafood or fishy-tasting things - the smell alone makes me feel like I'm about to vomit. I'd be willing to give it a second chance but honestly here in the Midwest I'm convinced that any and all seafood is rancid by the time it reaches anyone's dinner plate. I did try a few small bites of tilapia a few months ago, which was tolerable soaked in lemon juice.
I also have a thing with raw tomatoes, tomato soup, or anything that tastes generally "tomato-y." Fresh salsa is fine, spaghetti sauce is fine (as long as it doesn't taste strongly of tomato), ketchup is fine. Raw tomato is not fine. I've tried it a few times recently and every time I immediately gag and want to wash the taste out of my mouth. Yet dice it up, add some onion and cilantro, and it's yummy. Go figure.

Only Believe
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Ok since we're on the topic of meat have any of you had scrapple? I personally love the stuff but I figure it might conjure up some negative feelings in some.

Oh my.. I looked it up an it sounds so yucky!! I've never had it but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it just from knowing how it's made. yucky yuck. :snooty: LOL

Only Believe
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
I was reading back over some of these and just noticed I'm making a face like I've just ate the nastiest thing ever LOL Sea cucumber? Scrapple? stinky cheese and stinky fish.. all this talk of gagging and vomit.. I just found the best thread ever to stop a craving and spoil an appetite!:carrot::lol: Oh yeah bring on those gross sounding foods. :dizzy:

beth4365
07-16-2013, 12:45 PM
LOVE this thread.

I don't think anyone mentioned the food I just can't do...

Yogurt.

Ugh. Ick. Squirm.

It is so healthy and good for you that I keep trying to force myself to like it. I have done everything I can, tried every flavor, packed only it in my lunch so I'd be so hungry that I'd have to eat it, eaten it every day for breakfast hoping I'd get over my foodhate.

Nothing works.

Blech.

I can't do it, but I wish I could.

Munchy
07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Imitation watermelon flavor, like in candies or Popsicles.

It's so disgusting.

I'm sad for all the scallop-hate. Lemon pepper pan seared or grilled scallops have been my absolute favorite food since I was a child!

jm474
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Fish, all kinds and any seafood at all. It makes me want to gag just thinking about it, which is such a shame because I'm unable to eat so many potentially healthy options.

jm474
07-16-2013, 10:06 PM

lol I love that stuff! Haven't had it in forever!

HungryHungryHippo
07-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Shiritake noodles!! My body would not let me eat them--as if I was trying to eat tree branches, or something else we were not meant to ingest.

StrangeJourney
07-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Celery has, to me, the most off-putting stringy texture. No thanks.

CrazyCatWoman
07-24-2013, 02:28 AM
Apricots.

After being forced to eat them as a kid.

Now I try to use that image in NLP as a way of stopping food cravings!