Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/212/169

Height: 5'7"

Default End of 5th week no pounds or inches lost and went out of ketosis

Hi all. Wondering if anyone experienced a lull in their 4th and 5th weeks. I have 100 pounds to lose. Love the diet. by the end of the 3rd week I'd lost 25 pounds. I'm sure a lot of that was water weight. I had lost inches in those weeks, too. But 4th and 5th week, no inches and no weight loss. I'm past menopause, so no TOM. Went out of ketosis on and off in beginning of 5th week. Now back on as of yesterday with a trace of ketosis. No more than one restricted per day, first 2 weeks no restricteds. I do use a few WF products, confirmed each has 1/3rd a carb per serving. Have stuck to the protocol strictly except for a couple times I ate a boiled egg in addition to morning shake. Not going over proper amount of veggies. I have used one more envelope a day several times. I did drink more water in the beginning. Aside from the water, I don't see a big change in what I'm doing. I'm very pleased with the initial loss. But the last 2 weeks have been discouraging and concern me especially with the ketosis having gone out, especially since on past diets, I tend to lose 25 to 30 pds and then nothing for months and months. Anyone else experience anything similar? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't understand the ketosis going out for 2 weeks.
California Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #2  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I think almost everyone experiences this. I had one week with 0 lbs and only inches and another week with lbs lost but almost no inches. I'm assuming you're using the ketostix to determine whether or not you are in ketosis and those are very bad indicators. I also tend to have lower weight loss weeks when I eat too much lean meat.

Last edited by Tziri; 02-25-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Throw away the ketostix. Your body isn't throwing off as much ketones in your urine because it's more efficient now, and ketones can be diluted by the water you're drinking. Trust me that if you're following the program, you're in ketosis. There simply is no other way your body would have enough energy to get out of bed otherwise!

You can't get too discouraged from two weigh-ins. Weight fluctuates like crazy -- some of it's within your control, some of it isn't. If you continue to follow the program 100% (and get back on your water!), logically, you will lose weight. You'll look for a downward trend--but don't expect to be free from stalls or even small gains along the way.

All that said, yes, my loss was smaller last week--and before I remembered to chin up, I thought "WTH?!"
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Hopfully this week you will have a loss. My concern is the fact you believe you are out of ketosis. From everything learned on this site it sounds like if you are following the plan you will be in ketosis. As Tziri said ketostix are not a good indicator and many on here say to not use them. i have never used, but I can feel I am in ketosis by how my feet feel. Weid I know, but they have a tingling hot/cold sensation. Also from what I have read 4th & 5th week are normal for a slow down. Are you taking supplements? Water is important so make sure you are drinking enough. Probably you should drop the extra envelope and see if that makes a difference, you are only supposed to use an extra during your first week. Keep up for this week and see what happens, I am sure you will get over the lull.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

I am in my fifth week as well, its really why I joined this forum because that last 9 days have been terrible! I haven't lost any weight in the last nine days (have lost 13.9 lbs in first 4 weeks, of which 7.1 is lean muscle). I am trying to remind myself that I lost more of my lean muscle than I should have because my first two weeks I had a lot of migraines (I can't seem to eat when I am experiencing nausea) and then right before my current WI I had gotten sick with a cold that turned into a sinus infection and had to take a Z-pak, and also had a hard time eating all my food. At my last weigh in my coach told me to add another packet or either a hard boiled egg or a little lean deli meat to my daily food so I can try to rebuild lost muscle. It is really hard to look at the scale and not see it moving. I am where you are right now, wondering if I am doing something wrong suddenly, that's why I have to hope I am regaining some of the muscle I have previously lost.

I suggest dropping the extra packet and making sure you get lots of water, also try to stay positive and look at how this is only temporary and a great investment in yourself. By the way you have done awesome so far, give yourself hugs for a great first month dear!
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Kathy View Post
Hi all. Wondering if anyone experienced a lull in their 4th and 5th weeks. I have 100 pounds to lose. Love the diet. by the end of the 3rd week I'd lost 25 pounds. I'm sure a lot of that was water weight. I had lost inches in those weeks, too. But 4th and 5th week, no inches and no weight loss. I'm past menopause, so no TOM. Went out of ketosis on and off in beginning of 5th week. Now back on as of yesterday with a trace of ketosis. No more than one restricted per day, first 2 weeks no restricteds. I do use a few WF products, confirmed each has 1/3rd a carb per serving. Have stuck to the protocol strictly except for a couple times I ate a boiled egg in addition to morning shake. Not going over proper amount of veggies. I have used one more envelope a day several times. I did drink more water in the beginning. Aside from the water, I don't see a big change in what I'm doing. I'm very pleased with the initial loss. But the last 2 weeks have been discouraging and concern me especially with the ketosis having gone out, especially since on past diets, I tend to lose 25 to 30 pds and then nothing for months and months. Anyone else experience anything similar? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't understand the ketosis going out for 2 weeks.
I'm wondering how much you've read the forum?
This is VERY common (actually your coach should have told you it was expected)
RE: Ketostix.
Your body gets more efficient after a while at processing ketones and the sticks become something that just doesn't work anymore. It doesn't mean you're not in ketoisis. It means you are efficient!
Take a look at ANYONE who has been on the plan for a long time. My WIs are posted. I think I had 3 that were under 1 lb and one was ZERO!

The one extra packet shouldn't make a difference, esp with a significant amt of weight to lose.

Do the math. Look at your average. You're doing great! Stick with it! The weight will catch up again.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I was told I was 'out' of ketosis last week. How would you know?? How would anyone know??

Crazy.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I was told I was 'out' of ketosis last week. How would you know?? How would anyone know??

Crazy.
That. Crazy.
That's your coaches if they're talking to you like that.
Where is the encouragement you're paying for?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Just an FYI... You can test for serum ketones on your own... Requires special glucometers and the strips run about $5 bucks a piece, but it can be done... People following NK plans do it all the time... so if you really want to know if you're "in ketosis" that would be the way to go...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #10  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Y'all are worrying about NOTHING......STRESSING OVER NOTHING.......IF you are FOLLOWING the sheet YOU ARE IN KETOSIS!....If you are NOT following the sheet then you are not. This is why you FOLLOW THE SHEET TO STAY IN IT!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/212/169

Height: 5'7"

thank you for all your answers. I've read many , many posts on this forum and have seen that the 4th week is often a short term stall. But I hadn't read that two weeks in a row was common. so thank you very much for the info and encouragement. Also, I thought Keto Sticks were valid. Also had never heard mention of otherwise, on the forum. so this helps TREMENDOUSLY. and I also appreciate the concept that toxins can get released after some weight loss, and make the scale move up momentarily. I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I actually did gain 5 pounds last week, but it came down so I didn't put much atten on that aspect. Thanks to all. This helped a lot ! Very encouraging. thx.
California Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote