Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb 25 - Mar 3

BillBlueEyes
02-25-2013, 05:21 AM
The nine inches of wet snow predicted for Boston lay on the ground as a wimpy inch at best. So I'll have to get my exercise some other way, LOL.

Dagmar - I'm so happy that you made your peace with your childhood home. It's a big step. I remember the day we were about to drive away from the home were I'd been raised and I made some excuse to run back in . . . just to say goodbye again. Moving on.

Mudpie
02-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Good morning all!

Bill I'm embarrasingly late at making most of the major life changes but I am making them. Strange how a small ritual can bring such relief. Now begins the challenge of figuring out how to buy a house and get a home inspection done before I fork over half a million dollars. :yikes: :faint: Because this is all "electronic" money it's not so real for me yet. If I had to handle the money in stacks of bills I think I'd be overwhelmed.

I'm hoping that 5-10 cm of wet snow predicted for Toronto starting tonite will amount to the same as Boston's "wimpy inch" :D The dog sit will be over this evening - I hope. I had to stay an extra night at the last one due to a storm. I'm leaving the bedding on the bed until I hear that the plane has landed - around 9 p.m. and then I'm free and clear until the middle of March.

Tonite DH and I start HIS diet and fitness program in earnest. :p I'm giving myself a week of being OP before I climb on to the scale. :eek:

Dagmar :coolsnow:

WardHog
02-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Good morning! I am way overscheduled again this week (and next week). ugh. I have my annual doctor visit on Thursday, so I am motivated to stay on plan. I would like for my weight to not be part of the discussion.

paperclippy
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Dagmar, are you going to pay for your new house outright with the $$ from the old one, or get a mortgage?

Bill, glad the snow turned out to be no big deal. We had a similar thing with the ice storm they predicted because they salted the streets so heavily that other than some slippery patches on the sidewalk there were no real problems.

Ward, good luck with your appointment!

I am working from home today. I think I'll be working at home Mondays and Thursdays most weeks since those two days I don't have any meetings, and a lot of my coworkers do it too. Plus, then I don't have to tire myself out walking back and forth to the bathroom at work which is way on the other end of the building (sad that I get so tired from something so simple).

In other news, I'm trying to not worry too much about the babies. I had thought that once I could feel them moving I'd worry less, but instead it's the other way around! Because sometimes they move a lot, and sometimes not so much, so if I go a while without feeling anything then I'm worried that something is wrong with them, or that one of them is moving and not the other, etc etc. Sigh. In other news, we got the cribs this weekend and they are awaiting assembly upstairs.

ChrisMohr
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
February has been a bad month for my maintenance goals, having gained four more pounds instead of losing four of the pounds I gained over the holidays. I think I'm really scared. I see myself falling into the pattern of losing weight in the spring/summer/fall and gaining much of it back and I sooooooo don't want to allow myself to do this again in 2013! This week I want to get back on track without self-flagellation...

alinnell
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Jessica~remember that babies sleep a lot! And they tend to sleep while you are busy, so as soon as you try to relax they wake up and start kicking and squirming. If you're ever alarmed that you're not feeling any movement, have a little OJ (yeah, I know it's gross) and then lie down for half an hour. That'll wake them up!

We're in the last four days of our old office. It's going to be a whirlwind of activity! I didn't bring the dogs in, and probably won't for the next few weeks, so Culley is happily checking out the office. He keeps jumping on my desk to see whats up here.

I had my yearly exam a couple weeks ago. I was stressed a bit as my weight was higher than I want it to be but my doctor wasn't upset. I'm still well within my healthy BMI. He basically said to keep on doing what I'm doing as everything looks good.

traveling michele
02-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Jessica,
Can you tell if it is one baby moving or two when you feel movement? That must be so cool. I wish I could call your fears but I was a very anxious preggo as I had massive problems getting pregnant and staying pregnant.

Oh no Chris!! Get refocused now!! Does that help?

It's my birthday week. Not sure what dh has planned but I'm sure it will be more eating than I should have. I was hoping to be back down to my birthday weight last year (120) and that isn't going to happen unless I chop off a small appendage. As usual, I am bothered (annoyed?) by small changes on the scale. I was down to 123 Sunday morning and hopeful and optimistic-- just one more pound and I can get the lululemon yoga wear I promised myself... then today I'm back to 125 (my redline). Sigh..... we had sushi last night which sometimes leaves me with a gain, and other times not.... also just a few weeks until dh and I take our cruise. I certainly don't want to go on the cruise and come back 130 (or worse) which is where I started the New Year. Must. Stay. Focused.

paperclippy
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Chris, good luck getting back on track!

Allison, good luck with the office move.

Michele, happy early birthday! It's hard to say whether I can tell them apart or not. I can at least say "something is moving on the left side" and "something is moving on the right side," and I know that at least to begin with they were side by side so I assumed that was a way to tell them apart. I'm not sure what position they're in right now though so I couldn't say if movement on both sides of my belly is both of them moving, or if they turned transverse and it's one of them using hands and feet. They are still pretty small so I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to poke both sides at the same time yet.

krampus
02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi maintainers!

Started the week off right with a full night's sleep. Gym this AM - finally, after 11 months of weight training, got the chutzpah to deadlift - love it.

I'm up 2 pounds from my ticker but that's ok. I've stayed under 125 for a good long while.

alinnell
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Hope your birthday week is wonderful, Michele!

What a morning! After a quick run to the bank, I went to the new office to meet the Verizon guy. Who'd have thought it would take 3 hours to hook up the phone lines. I can understand if it were new construction, but this is a 20+ year old building. Thankfully the guy from our security company (who did all the wiring for the computers) stopped by. The Verizon guy said it wasn't on his ticket to hook up the DSL despite my phone call stating it was all set to be done. Anyway, the two of them talked and worked it out and we're all set for the phones to switch on Thursday.

I decided to be useful while over there and set about to sweep and mop all the tile in the office (that's all there is--tile). Sweeping netted a few piles of dust and stuff, but once I started mopping I quickly realized I was in over my head. Imagine mopping a 6 foot square area and the bucket of soapy water is now black! I can't tell you how many buckets I dumped and started over with. And I re-mopped everything! Some areas I mopped THREE times and when it dried I ran my hand over the dry tile and came up with a hand covered in fine, white silt. I think it's residue from the tile cutting place that owned the building last. While we pressure-washed the entire warehouse, the offices wouldn't have withstood such punishment, so it's up to us to clean. DH felt bad for me and is having our tile guy come out and do a good job on the tile.

Now imagine this if you will: the office was recently painted white. That's nice--it should clean up well, but has anyone ever heard of something called a DROPCLOTH? Obviously those who painted hadn't as there are drips of white paint all over the place. Mostly close to the walls, but it's still bad looking. And they don't have molding on the walls at the floor, so every time I barely touched the wall with the mop, paint and plaster would come off and make the walls look worse than they should. We are going to put molding in, but I don't know when.

So now that I don't have to worry about doing the tile, I'm tackling the office bathroom next. Don't worry, I bought industrial strength rubber gloves! Ick.

Mudpie
02-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Back from the dogsit. I'm going to take a breather from all the house sale stuff for a day before contacting the lawyer for the next steps. I did hire him back at the beginning of the month but now I have questions about the closing that I should get answered soon.

Jessica I am buying the new house with $$ from the old. Simpler that way.

I have never been pregnant and I expect your first pregnancy, coupled with the fact that it's twins, is quite stressful at times. Hope you get more accustomed to having two living beings inside who have their own schedules and can relax and enjoy some of this before you get so big you just want it to be over. :preg:

krampus Good start to the week! :strong:

Chris February has been hard for a lot of us. Let's all recommit right now and get a jump start on being back OP for March! :goodscale

Michele :celebrate: Happy Birthday!

Allison There are people who do industrial cleaning for hire. My DH's boss got a guy to clean out their unit before they moved in and was so impressed by his service that she kept him on to come in once a week. They are a reno company and still do some work in the shop so it gets pretty dirty quickly. That and it's an all guy :eek: office (except for the boss).

ward Hope your doctor's visit goes smoothly!

I am going to go and stretch and do yoga for the first time since Sunday a week ago. There wasn't any floor space at the dogsit and my creaky body is begging for a good stretch.

Dagmar :yoga:

Megan1982
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Morning all,

Everyone dragged themselves into my office a little late this morning. Yesterday afternoon we all spent an hour at the conference table in the center of our building because storms were so bad we were scared of being near windows, and we were under a tornado watch. Repeat at 4:45 AM this morning. The good news is that despite numerous water spouts and tornadoes, I haven't heard of anyone hurt, though schools are out due to lack of power in some areas. It also poured for hours yesterday and I didn't get the dog out for any exercise for either of us.

Count me in with those who need a kick in the pants and hasn't had the best February health-wise. On a few days, off a few days, on, off, etc. Ok, Chris, let's try and get back on track together. We can do it.

Dagmar, enjoy your yoga practice. Ahhhh. It relaxes me just thinking about it. Do you still plan to buy a place a few hours away or have you decided to stay where you are?

Krampus, isn't deadlifting grand? Second only to squats in my book. The part of me that has had shoulder problems wants to remind you to keep your shoulders down and back in proper form.

Jessica, I'm sure those two are just warming up for the soccer game they will soon be playing in your belly. I'm sure it's hard not to worry, but you and DH are doing everything right to take good care of those girls now.

Alison, ugh. At least you only need to clean the new place so thoroughly this once. After this it should be routine.

Michele, happy almost birthday!

Off to work. Have a good day everyone. :)

traveling michele
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Allison-- think of all the exercise you got cleaning! I bet you're sore today!!

alinnell
02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Actually I'm not as sore as I thought I would be. Must have been because I got a great night's sleep. Well, until 4 AM when the cat decided to sit on my chest!

Best part is that the tile guy just called and he'll do the cleaning today so we can move the rest of our furniture tomorrow and get all set up! I think I'll go over this afternoon and clean the bathroom. It was really yucky!

ICUwishing
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
:wave:
Bill, "Rocky" is expected to give us anywhere between 3 to 8 inches of heavy wet stuff overnight. I'll work from home tomorrow if DS's school cancels. It's almost, but not quite, nice to have a normally snowy cold winter. This time last year, I think we'd already seen the 70's a couple of times.

Dagmar, the scale will wait a week. Shucks, you've got so much going on, that week will fly by! I know what you mean about electronic money - seeing long strings of digits on a printout doesn't have the same impact. I'm starting to understand why my mom prefers to still handle transactions in cash - it feels like having more "skin in the game" and makes me a little more careful.

Ward, good luck with your physical! I sympathize with your overscheduled-ness - hope you can find a few little chunks of time in there to relax and unwind.

Jessica, it's not "sad" to be tired! Good grief, woman, you're making two new people!:dizzy: Of course it's going to sap your energy a little! I really enjoy reading about your preggo progress - it takes me back to some great times in my life. Kids, what a roller coaster! :crazy:

Chris, I think a lot of us have those winter swings. Between the seasonal availabilities of what we prefer to eat, the lower and less intense light, it does require a higher level of vigilance to hold the line, IMO. Near as I can figure, self-flagellation burns no calories, so it's kind of pointless. ;) You've been on track before, you know it feels good, so ... that ole Nike line: Just Do It!

allison, it sounds like Culley's learning that the domestic life is pretty darn good. Thank goodness he found you and vice versa! Congrats on the good exam, and the new office - you are a busy lady these days! I can commiserate with you on the floor that Just Won't Come Clean. :mad: Some things are best left to professionals with heavy equipment.

michele, happy birthday week! You can navigate these challenges and still enjoy yourself. Lululemon will be yours soon!

krampus, any week that starts with a good sleep is a good week! Are you contemplating another new weight move for your 1 year anniversary?

megan, I'm glad your building has a safe spot to be. Here's hoping you don't need it! I too am ready for February to go bye-bye. I NEED to see a daffodil or crocus!

I'm almost on autopilot these days. I have been practicing the art of silencing my inner dialogues for a while now, and it is having all sorts of promising effects. There's been a lot of really delicious food around the house that requires crazy levels of portion control - macaroni and cheese, quiche (with a real lard crust and heavy cream, I might add), so I'm a little grumpy about all the open space left on my already small plate. However, I'm not feeling any strong emotions about it because there's no arguing going on in my head. When this stuff is gone, we'll go back to the way we usually eat ... end of story. The last frontier to conquer is getting some regular exercise onto the autopilot program - my desire for inertia runs pretty deep! :lol:

Sheila53
02-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Bill, shoveling snow is such great exercise, but never the kind I know I want to do.

Dagmar, have you chosen the house or the neighborhood? I watch a couple of HGTV shows that originate in Toronto--some really cool homes there. Hope the yoga gets the kinks out.

Jessica, when they start kicking at night you'll be thankful for their sleeping times. It's kind of fun (and a bit freaky) to see your belly move as they kick.

Allison, does the cat bump you with a cold nose or just stare at you to get up now? Hopefully the cats let you go back to sleep.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, Michele!

Megan, those huge storms and hurricanes always sound so scary. Glad everyone was okay. If there was a kicking icon, I'd put it here. :)

ICU, did you ever get back to TRX (it was you, right?)? Since having to leave the gym, I've been doing it on my own while my DH is in the class. It's hard to push myself (understand the inertia!), but the older I get the more motivated I am to stay active. The alternative is not pretty.

Today we're picking out kitchen and bathroom cabinets. While I like shaker-style, I don't like having to work at getting dust and stuff out of the corners so I'm going with slab front. My whole thing is ease of maintenance. We'll probably hit the tile store, too, for backsplashes and bathroom floor. Picking colors and materials always sounds like fun, but I tend to get overwhelmed with the number of choices available.

alinnell
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Allison, does the cat bump you with a cold nose or just stare at you to get up now? Hopefully the cats let you go back to sleep.

It depends. Sometimes he tries to eat my hair. Sometimes he licks my hand. Most times he rubs his face on my hand, purrs, and settles on either my stomach or chest. I think he just wants to snuggle and get warm. If he really wants us to get up he becomes really pesky and starts "throwing" stuff off our nightstands (glasses, etc.).

Shannon in ATL
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
It is already Tuesday, wow. Yesterday got crazy busy and I never made it here.

I'm trying to eat better today. Yesterday was good. Hoping today will be better. I've now got two days in a row of exercise in as well, and have a plan to exercise tonight after work while DH hangs out with the neighbor. I have a big pot of soup simmering, so dinner is taken care of.

Michele - happy birthday! Have a great week!

Chris - we all slip a little, you can get back on the path. :)

Allison - we had to start sleeping with the bedroom door closed because the cat wouldn't let us sleep at night. Glad that you have a service coming in to clean that dust!

Sheila - I have a hard time picking things like cabinets and household fixtures. I need a new sink in the kitchen and a new toilet and I've locked down on selections. Good luck with your kitchen. :)

Dagmar - buying a house is SCARY when you look at all the numbers. I'm glad that your dad's house settled so easily and that you have some peace with it.

Megan - I'm glad that you are safe down there, I've been watching the weather.

Jessica - I'm fascinated by the feel of the babies moving. I think that would be fantastic. I know it is hard not to worry, but I know that you are taking good care of yourself and in good health, so enjoy this time with them. :)

Krampus - I hate the deadlift, but I think it is good for me. :)

Ward - hope the visit goes well. Mine is coming up in April I think.

Bill - sorry that there isn't any snow to shovel. LOL

Good day everyone!

ICUwishing
02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Sheila, yeah - that was supposed to be me. :lol: DS and I are both finally done with our colds, and hankering to get back to it. If tomorrow is a snow day, we have pledged to do it before noon. If not, it will be Thursday evening. I'm actually looking forward to it! I can relate to the choice overload in the remodeling department - it's fun, but man, is it ever exhausting!

Shannon, glad to hear things are getting back on track for you. Some days are one hour at a time (or less), and sometimes those types of days clump together. :hug: Onward!

alinnell
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
So, you all remember my dilemma with the phones at our new place? I was told point-blank by Time Warner that it would cost them $8000 to lay cable in that area and that it was cost prohibitive and therefore they would not be able to take care of my cable needs.

Yesterday I noticed a crew laying cable.

Today, DH stopped to ask the crew who had contracted them: Time Warner Cable.

Megan1982
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Morning all,

Is it Wednesday already? I am not ready for the weekend. I told a friend a few months ago that she and her BF could come stay at my house for a local festival Saturday. Now I'm not so excited - I want to see my friend, but am dreading the inevitable drinking that comes with her + event, her BF's mean little dog, and getting the house cleaned up by Friday. My motivation was pure, I swear. She said she'd run the 5K race with me Saturday AM - my first 5K in about as many years. I'm probably worrying for nothing and will end up having fun.

At least Wednesday also means yoga! Ah. Deep breathe. Can't wait til 5:30.

Alison, you have every right to be pi$$ed with Time Warner! But at this point what can you go back? Have you notified any customers, paid $ towards your new phone service, signed contracts w new service? I would say call TW and ream them out, but I don't think it would do any good, and you've put so much energy into moving forward with your new #s. But I'm sorry. That really stinks. Find a punching bag, write "Time Warner" on it, and go to town.

Becky, have you gotten a lot of snow? Good for you re: silencing inner dialogue. That is tough, especially with mac & cheese around.

Sheila, did you successfully pick out cabinets?

Shannon, how was yesterday? Still feeling more on track? You can do it!

Oops, gotta run. My boss just walked in my office and almost caught me here. :o

alinnell
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I was planning on getting a lot of moving done today and my assistant is sick. She came in to do payroll, but frankly I need to send her home. She sounds horrible and said she spent the last few days in bed. Granted she's done most of her packing already, so really it's just little things here and there but I'm starting to feel stressed about it all.

As for the phone and Time Warner, now TW's story is that there is cable in the AREA but not our BUILDING and they claim it would cost $8000 to put cable to the building and therefore it isn't cost effective. Hmmm. Gotta wonder about that.

Megan~have a great weekend and have fun on your 5k! It'll work out. It always works out in the end (something I need to remember for myself!).

New gripe: I set up to have my mail forwarded as of Monday. Monday the mail man comes in with my mail to ask if I had forwarded it. Yes, I said, I did as of today. He hands me my mail. Yesterday the mail was delivered here. Part of that mail was the confirmation of mail forwarding! Sheesh! Can't they understand their own system? So I put a typed note in the mail box (taped to a neon sticky note) that says "mail for Crescent Glass has a forwarding order effective 2/25/13". I'm wondering if they'll notice it?

traveling michele
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
And off topic-- I think I mentioned that my dd had applied to transfer to BYU. She found out yesterday that she didn't get in. Trying to gauge how upset she is over the phone is difficult-- she's putting on a brave face. We have mixed feelings, but aren't entirely disappointed. However, now she has to scramble to figure out where she's going to live next year and who her roommates will be. And she'll be home for the summer so she needs to look for a job (she would have started at BYU in the summer).

CherryPie99
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
As for the phone and Time Warner, now TW's story is that there is cable in the AREA but not our BUILDING and they claim it would cost $8000 to put cable to the building and therefore it isn't cost effective. Hmmm. Gotta wonder about that.
\

I have been in an ongoing battle with Time Warner since we moved into our place in 1998. There is a cable line going down the main road - less then 1/4 mile from our place and they claim it would cost $3000 to run a line to us. It is so frustrating!

This week has been great for me. I'm on track with my eating, weight has been pretty much right where I want it and I've gotten a lot of exercise. I needed this week to be good, because challenges lie ahead!

Sunday is DH and my wedding anniversary and I'd like to do something special, and then next week I will be at a conference out of town Wednesday - Friday which means working lunches where they will serve who knows what and there will be a lot of what kills me - FREE FOOD!

Jen

bargoo
02-27-2013, 11:04 AM
It is Gary's (EZMoney) birthday today. For those that don't know he is in the hospital recovering from surgery.
I wish Gary the best birthday he can have in the hospital and praying for a rapid and complete recovery.

alinnell
02-27-2013, 01:24 PM
I wished Gary a happy birthday on Facebook. I said I hoped this birthday was the beginning of many, many more!

Sorry your DD didn't get into BYU, Michele. My DD found out she didn't get into the grad program at Stanford yesterday, too. I think there are two others she is waiting on. I'm still hoping she gets into CGU--keep her close!

traveling michele
02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
I wished Gary a happy birthday on Facebook. I said I hoped this birthday was the beginning of many, many more!

Sorry your DD didn't get into BYU, Michele. My DD found out she didn't get into the grad program at Stanford yesterday, too. I think there are two others she is waiting on. I'm still hoping she gets into CGU--keep her close!

I did the same for Gary.

Good luck to your dd Allison! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

alinnell
02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Wow. We've been moving all day! All that is left here is my computer and desk (the desk we're trashing), the server, fax machine, copy machine and various garbage cans as well as some minor little things that we'll gather in the morning. My back aches and I've washed my hands so many times in the past week or so my skin is cracking.

Culley was so funny this morning as the guys were moving stuff out. He'd come inside (all the doors are open to facilitate easy moving) and he'd run out to the warehouse to see what was going on, then run back to the office to see what he was missing there. It wore him out--he's been sleeping in his kennel all day!

The new office has a long way to go before it will be "home" but I foresee Friday afternoon having everything completely organized and nice.

But right now I'd really like a shot of whiskey!

traveling michele
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Allison-- will Culley go with you??

alinnell
02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Allison-- will Culley go with you??

Of course! I have a litter box already set up in the office bathroom. It's just a matter of either grabbing him while he's inside and stuffing him in his carrier (not an easy task) or patiently waiting until he goes into his carrier and shutting the door on him. That will be easy, but time consuming in waiting until he decides to go in and take a nap.

We'll keep him inside the office for at least a week to get him acclimated and then allow him free roam. I have a perfect spot for his carrier--no one can see it from the street and it is protected from most wind and it has two escape points.

Sheila53
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Allison, how annoying for both the cable and the post office! Glad to hear that Culley is going with you, although I figured he probably was. That's too bad about Stanford. What is GCU? Is she doing some kind of music program, or was it psychology--or am I totally off base on both?

Jen, sounds like you're having a good week. Hope you and DH get to do something fun--what are you thinking of?

Michele, sorry that DD didn't get into BYU. I hope she's not too disappointed and will be able to make other plans. Did she want to get into BYU for a particular program or because she's a newly minted LDS and would feel comfortable there? Hey, there's always BYU Hawaii, and you could visit!

After our meeting with the kitchen/bath designer (part of the contractor deal), we had our kitchen floor (Marmoleum), cabinets and accent tile chosen as well as the bathroom vanity counter--all from samples she had. When we got to the counter place to talk about what we needed, it turns out what we chose was discontinued, but they had a remnant. Went to the flooring place, and it turns out the flooring we chose was discontinued in 2008. Boy, those were really old samples the designer had! Went to the tile store and picked out the main tile for the kitchen backsplash and then spent quite a while on the bathroom tile. Chose all that, but this morning we decided it just wasn't what we really wanted so we went back to the counter store and chose another counter, then went back to the tile store and picked some brighter tile for the bathroom. Still haven't found a kitchen floor to replace the discontinued flooring. Dagmar, if you read this, all I can say is buy a house that's move-in ready!

Steph7409
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Sheila, is Marmoleum discontinued, or just the color you wanted? How annoying to have made the choices (which is a painful process, I think) and then have to start over. I got lucky with my bathroom redo in that I found what I liked pretty quickly and cheaply. Sometimes having a low budget helps because it limits your choices!

Allison, I take it Culley is your office cat? I hope he enjoys the new digs and cooperates when it comes time for him to relocate. And screw Time Warner, they say that sort of thing to everyone.

Jen, happy anniversary! I hope you have a good time, whatever you do, and that the weather is decent. It's definitely feeling like spring here, although I know March can be tough.

Megan, good luck with that 5K this weekend! And with the mean little dog.

I had a pretty good day today although I did hear back from that job I interviewed for (and was offered) last month - turns out they can't fit me into their budget at the moment. I'm glad I didn't accept the original offer and quit my job! I may do some per diem work for them, which would be nice, and they're still interested in bringing me on at some point. I'm not in as much of a hurry now anyway, so I'm not too upset.

And I saw the psychiatric doc today (I honestly don't know what to call him, he's not a therapist). He was very nice and we had a good talk. He prescribed a mild anti-depressant and gave me the name of a therapist to see. And he encouraged me to see an orthopedist about my bum leg. I left there feeling I've got a plan, that there are actions I can take to get myself going forward again.

Mudpie
02-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Sheila I won't have much money left over for renos by the time we're done. I don't need everything new - just stuff that works.

I am hoping there are enough funds left to put on a new coat of paint inside and to buy new living room furniture - ours was cheap and has totally fallen apart after 6 years of use. The patio furniture will be used - probably from Craig's list - as will anything else we need.

I don't see DH finding any sort of employment soon. So we will not be spending any money that we don't have to spend. I am determined to walk away from this with no debt and with a reduction in living costs due to not paying rent any more. All the houses I've looked at to buy have their expenses - property tax, utilities, plus some money set aside for unexpected repairs - come in at about half of what we are paying for rent.

I'm almost 56 years old. I need to have something put away for retirement by the time I'm 70. Saving for that will start after the new house is bought. Since I'm self-employed I will get the bare minimum of pension from the government - not enough to even rent an apartment in Toronto.

So the house will allow me to live and even have a bit of money for entertainment. I will always have to work but I will be able to cut down on the amount of work after I'm 65. That's the plan anyway.

The one thing I will allow myself is a trip to Africa. I have wanted to go there since I was a tiny child and I'm fulfilling my one major life dream by doing so. I hope to do that in 2014.

Dagmar :cool:

Megan1982
02-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

I had a meh day yesterday. I think it was a combination of not liking my big boss (no news there, right?) and how he runs things, and too many days spent sitting in the office over the winter to dwell on it. In another month I'll be outside starting the spring field season, and soon enough be complaining about how hot it is. I was a little sad that I didn't get as much out of yoga as I usually do yesterday bc I couldn't shut my brain off. When I got home my dear BF tried to distract me & cheer me up by suggesting a glass of wine and finally finishing our Monopoly game from two weekends ago. He won, but it did the trick for the time being. I hope today is a bit better.

There is a dog at the local humane society that I swear could be my Emma's brother. He is the same unique light brown color, looks the same, right age, right down to having white spots on his chest and toes. But before my brain could even go to the idea of having two dogs (two dogs with that much energy! oh my!) I saw the tag "doesn't get along with other dogs". It is still sad for me to think of a dog so similar to my sweetie needing a home, though. Alison, I'm glad you're taking Culley with you to your new home.

Dagmar, having the financial freedom to outright own your own house sounds great. And a trip to Africa sounds wonderful, too.

Steph, sorry the company can't fit you into their budget right now. At least you do have a job and they were realistic. And glad you got to the doctor and have a plan to enact. Let us know how your therapist & orthopedic visits go.

Sheila, wow, bummer about all the discontinued tiles and counters. I wonder why a designer wouldn't update their sample books for 5 years. Glad you got it all picked out in the end, though. Are you getting excited about your new kitchen & bath?

I'm not FB friend with Gary, but even if he's not reading this, I'm sending mental "Happy Birthdays!" and "Speedy Recoveries!" across the country. Alison, if you don't mind, would you post that we're all thinking of him?

ChrisMohr
02-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Y'all are so amazing and inspiring! For the last three days I've forced myself back on track (mainly with no sugar except small amounts of dark chocolate). I've lost a half pound and feel like I'm ready for a better March. Traveling Michele said Get Focused Now! which did help. Paperclippy thank for your comment as well. I love Megan and Mudpie's suggestion that we refocus and recommit together, so I say a hearty yes to that. If anyone would like to join me for a refocused and recommitted March let me know, I'm on board. I loved what ICU Wishes said, that self-flagellation burns no calories. Laughed out loud because it's true. Shannon, who said we all slip a little, at first I thought that I slipped more than a little, now being ten pounds over my ideal weight range of 180-185. But I rethought that and said, OK, I slipped more than a little but it's still not horrible to have gained back ten of the thirty pounds I lost last year... as long as I STOP THE SLIDE NOW.

This first week of March will be hard. I asked my brother what he wants for his birthday and he chose a restaurant where you get a four-course meal with a beer with each course. Karen has set me up for two more elegant restaurant visits this week as well (do any of you have Restaurant Week like we do in Denver?). So week one will be damage control, week two Karen goes on a cleanse and I may join her. Goal for March: lose four pounds from where I am today.

Thanks again all of you I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support, and you all have my support if you need to shed a few winter pounds along with me!

Shannon in ATL
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Good morning! Yesterday and Tuesday were good days. My weight is back under 140 by a smidge, and I'm miraculously feeling a lot better. Strange how that works. I've exercised now three days in a row and feel good about that, too. This weekend is going to be hard - DH's birthday is Friday so he has made plans to have DSS over Friday night and take him down for a birthday lunch with my MIL on Saturday, dinner out with friends Saturday and then again Sunday, then dinner our next Wednesday with the same friends from Saturday because it is her birthday and the restaurant gives a free birthday meal. I'm a little intimidated at all the eating out - I can control dinner Friday, lunch Saturday and dinner Sunday (with higher than normal things, but better that they could be), but I have no idea where we will go Saturday night. I'm trying not to let that freak me out.

Megan - sorry you don't click with your boss. That makes it frustrating, I know. I hope the weather lets you get back outside soon.

Dagmar - a trip to Africa sounds wonderful. Ooo.

Sheila - those were some seriously old samples from your designer, wow. That is annoying. I would lock down completely if I had to make those selections twice - good luck.

Steph - I'm so sorry about the job.

Jen - happy anniversary!

Allison - your Time Warner saga is annoying. My brother has the same thing as Jen - TW has a cable at the road, but won't run it the 1/5 of a mile up their driveway, say it would cost about $3k to do it. That is insane.

Chris - I'm all for a recommitted March. The first week will be hard for me too with birthday dinners all over, but the rest of it should be fine. DSS's birthday is the 9th, but I can resist cheese pizza and have a small piece of cake (or not) and be good. We don't have restaurant weeks around me, but we do have "Taste of..." days where a lot of local restaurants set up boots on the square or somewhere central.

:wave: good day everyone!

alinnell
02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Allison, how annoying for both the cable and the post office! Glad to hear that Culley is going with you, although I figured he probably was. That's too bad about Stanford. What is GCU? Is she doing some kind of music program, or was it psychology--or am I totally off base on both?

CGU is Claremont Graduate University. I think she will get in there. She's talked to several people there as well as a professor who she really admires--he was at her campus last week and she went to his speech and then book signing where she introduced herself and then to a special session where she was one of 6 people discussing things with him. Keep your fingers crossed!

Allison, I take it Culley is your office cat? I hope he enjoys the new digs and cooperates when it comes time for him to relocate. And screw Time Warner, they say that sort of thing to everyone.

Yep. Office cat Culley. Today we "catch" him and relocate him.

I'm not FB friend with Gary, but even if he's not reading this, I'm sending mental "Happy Birthdays!" and "Speedy Recoveries!" across the country. Alison, if you don't mind, would you post that we're all thinking of him?

Of course I will!

Today is the last day. I have a huge list of things to accomplish. I've got to be running. Update later.

bargoo
02-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Sheila, reading about your problems picking out colors reminds me of trying to pick out wallpaper . I have tried to do this several times was never able to do so. The problem was with me, not someone else , just when I found a pattern I liked I would make the mistake of looking in one more book, the result I could never make up my mind and never got any new wallpaper ! I hadn't learned to quit while I was ahead.
Dagmar, about paying cash for your house, good idea and will give you good bargaining power when you find the right one. I have shared that my DS is planning to move to Florida. He has a house in California he is going to sell and he tells me he will pay cash for a house in Florida. When I saw that his wife just bought a Michael Kors handbag I realized he'd better have a house that is paid for.
Megan, I am on FB with Gary and also post on another forum with him, on that forum his wife Angie gives us updates. I will let you know next time she posts. Her last post was after surgery and she said he had come through the surgery well.

bargoo
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
GARY UPDATE.
Angie posted that he is doing as well as expected and is looking better each day. And there is exciting news , he has a new grandaughter , born on his birthday.

traveling michele
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I didn't see the Gary update-- thanks for posting!!

I have more to say but I feel lousy with my cold really in my head now and I'm swamped at work. Plus I came in to ants all over my desk. I can't figure out the source but they're driving me crazy!

I'll just add that March will be a challenge for me as well. I wanted to be 120 or below by my birthday (Sunday) but I won't make it (123.6 today). This weekend will have all sorts of unknowns that dh is planning. Then my girls come home for Spring Break, and then dh and I take our cruise. I will be lucky to not gain in March. Sigh.....

paperclippy
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Bargoo, thanks for the updates on Gary. I am sending good thoughts in his direction.

Michele, haven't you been sick for ages now? I hope you feel better soon! I hate it when ants show up, they're hard to get rid of.

Megan, I hope someone adopts the dog who looks like Emma's brother.

Good luck to those who are recommitting in March!

Our ultrasound this morning looked good. I also got the explanation for why their movement pattern changed -- before they were side by side, both laying vertically. Now one of them is vertical right in the middle of my belly, and the other is laying horizontally across the top. No wonder I stopped feeling anything on the sides! In any case it was reassuring, along with feeling the gymnastics they've been doing the past day or so. The doctor seemed very happy with my 30lb weight gain so far and said I don't need to worry about gaining too much weight. Kind of a hard thing to wrap my mind around, but as long as the babies are healthy it's all good.

The problem right now: my belly is outgrowing my maternity clothes. :o I found only one place online that specifically makes maternity clothes for people having twins or more, but they are way too expensive. Hopefully the summer styles will come out soon and there will be a lot of flowy empire waist sundresses and such. Too bad I'm not skilled at sewing!

bargoo
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Jessica, that's good news from the Doctor, I have never had twins but my coworker did and since she had already had a single birth suspected she might be having twins because of the extra activity this was before the doctor confirmed it.
You don't need a lot of maternity clothes 3 or 4 outfits and wash and rewear.

Sheila53
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The problem right now: my belly is outgrowing my maternity clothes. :o I found only one place online that specifically makes maternity clothes for people having twins or more, but they are way too expensive. Hopefully the summer styles will come out soon and there will be a lot of flowy empire waist sundresses and such. Too bad I'm not skilled at sewing!

Glad the babies are doing so well! Is there perhaps a mothers of twins group in your area? They may have some kind of maternity clothing exchange (if you don't mind gently worn clothing) or perhaps they know of cheaper places.

alinnell
02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear the update on Gary and the update on the gymnast babies as well!

What a day!

Culley was caught early this morning and quietly rode to the new office where we stuck him in the bathroom (with litter box, food and his carrier). He meowed a lot, and we eventually let him out to roam. He was pretty loud and kept looking for a place to roost. He's found a couple places where he seems to be comfortable, but we put him back in the bathroom after an hour or so and now he's napping quietly in his carrier.

The office is about 80% organized. I think we'll be all settled tomorrow sometime. In the meantime, I need to go and run errands to pick up items that FIL couldn't locate.

I'll sleep well tonight!

CherryPie99
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear that the babies are good, Jessica and that Gary is doing well and that Cullen is safely relocated!!!

It's been a weird week for me in a good way. I've felt very in control after feeling completely frazzled and out of control just 2 weeks ago!

Weight has dropped to 116 again. I've been kicking butt and taking names with my running. I'm really happy about this due to the multiple challenges March will bring.

Not sure what we will be doing for our anniversary - we never go out to eat, and we have 2 gift certificates to Applebees, so I think that will be at least part of the plan.

We are both very un-romantic LOL

Steph7409
02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Jessica, great news from the doctor. And good luck finding clothes. Have you tried Ebay?

Allison, I'm glad Culley is settling in. I used to move every few years and my cats hated it, but they always adjusted in a few days. And I've recently started making my old cat sleep in the bathroom at night so she doesn't wake me up and she now goes in there on her own when I head to bed. Cats don't need a whole lot of space to be comfortable.

Dagmar, I like your plans, both for your house and the trip to Africa. I just paid off my mortgage (I have a small house in a bad neighborhood, so it wasn't much to begin with) and it's nice to not have that obligation and monthly expense.

I had another good day. I made appointments with an orthopedic group and with a therapist, both for next week. My eating has been under control and I'm about to get on the bike. And, good news at work - we may be picking up another 1700 square feet of space so we can move the big admin team out of the kitchen, yay! I'm still hoping to find another job but, until I do, I'd like a desk big enough so that I can open the drawer without backing up.

Mudpie
03-01-2013, 05:51 AM
It's March! Time for me to get off the stress eating bus :stress: and recommit to getting below 135 again. I am currently 137.8 lbs. but it's "real" weight, not bloat or salt related or anything. So at least 2.8 lbs. of lard are coming off this month.

I have realized that my body is most comfortable around 135 lbs., even though I've stated my goal weight as 130. But I will now strive to get below and stay well below 135. I think a weekly average of 132-133 will be my "sweet spot".

So my real goal weight will be a limited range, rather than a specific number.

Dagmar :cheer2:

Mudpie
03-01-2013, 05:59 AM
I didn't change anything except my weight numbers and my tag line but messed up my ticker. Any ideas?

Dagmar :o

BillBlueEyes
03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Yay for the passage of February - I'm ready to think that life can exist on this planet again.

My walking is good; my snacking is not staying on plan. Wish I would remember that snacking doesn't cure tension.

Dagmag - I fixed a typo in the HTML of your signature - hope that's the results you wanted.

Mudpie
03-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Thank you Bill!

Dagmar :D

WardHog
03-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I have been down with a stomach virus all week, and have lost almost six pounds in the process. Too bad I can't seem to do it any other way.

Anyway, I had my annual yesterday and at one point the doctor said something like "you need to make sure to get enough calcium because a thin person like you has to worry about osteoporosis down the road."

I think I did a double take; this is not how I see myself at all but she has never known me as an overweight person.

JenMusic
03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey, all! I don't usually post in the chat because y'all move too fast and I can't keep up. :) But this seemed the most appropriate place to ask an off-topic question that I've been idly wondering since I returned to 3FC a couple of weeks ago: What happened to kaplods? I always appreciated her thoughtful, well-written posts. I know she wasn't a regular in the maintainer forums but maybe someone here knows something?

Have a good Friday, everyone!

Tudor Rose
03-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm from the WW forum and am so glad to have found a maintenance forum. I've only been at it for a couple weeks and still trying to find my happy balance of food and exercise to stay where I am :)

bargoo
03-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Hey, all! I don't usually post in the chat because y'all move too fast and I can't keep up. :) But this seemed the most appropriate place to ask an off-topic question that I've been idly wondering since I returned to 3FC a couple of weeks ago: What happened to kaplods? I always appreciated her thoughtful, well-written posts. I know she wasn't a regular in the maintainer forums but maybe someone here knows something?

kaplods is still posting , I see her around in various forums.

bargoo
03-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself! I'm from the WW forum and am so glad to have found a maintenance forum. I've only been at it for a couple weeks and still trying to find my happy balance of food and exercise to stay where I am :)

Tudor Rose, welcome ! Congratulations on a great loss !

alinnell
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I have been down with a stomach virus all week, and have lost almost six pounds in the process. Too bad I can't seem to do it any other way.

Anyway, I had my annual yesterday and at one point the doctor said something like "you need to make sure to get enough calcium because a thin person like you has to worry about osteoporosis down the road."

I think I did a double take; this is not how I see myself at all but she has never known me as an overweight person.

And just the other day I read an article that said calcium and vitamin D don't really help with osteoporosis when you take the supplements at our age and older. But in any case, that is a great compliment!

yeah, I do think I"ve seen her posts elsewhere, but I rarely get out to other areas of the forum for lack of time.

Congrats and welcome!

traveling michele
03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Welcome Tudor Rose. I lost my weight with WW as well.

Ward-- I always find it very surreal when docs say comments like that to me. Many of my current docs never saw me heavy and I tell them I lost a lot of weight. They almost look like they don't believe me.

Starting off March 1 at 123. Just praying I don't start off April 1 way higher! Lower would be nice, but I'm trying not to be too greedy!

And, yes, I feel like I've been sick forever. But in actuality I had a bad cold for a couple of weeks, followed by a week or two of no sickness, and now I have a cold again (or allergies-- not really sure as everything is blooming here!). Feeling slightly better today hopefully.....

ChrisMohr
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome Tudor Rose. I've been on maintenance for about 7 months, and my wife has been on for almost 30 years! I'm still trying to find the balance between enjoying food and maintaining, with varied success. Even Karen is STILL having the same challenge! After a bad month in February, I'm renewing my commitment and working on losing my winter weight gain starting now. I have six restaurants scheduled in twelve days (Karen went a little nuts with Restaurant Week!!). But yesterday was good. Ate perfectly all day, then enjoyed a great dinner. Not a good way to lose weight, admittedly, but my resolve during this time is, one day at a time, no sugary or otherise "illegal" snacks or treats except at these restaurant meals. After a big stumble in mid-February, I've actually done quite well the past several days now, and I can continue doing well except for these restaurants the coming week. Karen promises two weeks of no restaurants starting around March 13 and I'm holding her to it! In the meantime I am convinced I can maintain my current (somewhat high) weight even with these restaurant visits. Will keep you all honestly posted.

Sheila53
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Welcome, Tudor Rose! Congrats on making it to maintenance.

Regarding the osteoporosis comment from the doctor, the "amusing" thing is that heavy people can get it, too. After carrying around 100 lbs. of additional weight, I had no idea I had osteoporosis until a routine screening at age 50. Shouldn't doctors be warning all women and not just ignoring the heavy women? It's always, however, a nice comment to be called thin by your doctor. :)

Been looking online at fixtures, etc., and now all the ads on every webpage are ads for fixtures, lighting and such. I feel like Big Brother is monitoring my every move online.

traveling michele
03-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm having an interesting/good day at work so far. It is PJ day to celebrate Read Across America and Dr. Seuss' birthday so I'm in my PJ's! Pretty great start. Then two of my classes didn't come due to assemblies so I'm getting caught up. Plus we are celebrating a teacher moving so there are goodies in the staffroom but I found some yummy fruit! Plus, dh is going to bring me lunch later to kick off my birthday weekend. Hooray! TGIF!

Mudpie
03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I am not being a curmudgeon - I welcomed Tudor Rose in the introductions section. :D

Seeing it's Friday I was momentarily contemplating getting a few beers :dizzy: for myself and for DH as a kick off to March and to the weekend. I thought about it for a bit and decided that ingesting something that's not really good for me (and will lead to off plan eating) is not a celebration. :hat:

I am going to have a big pot of herbal spice tea after dinner and read my Kindle for an hour, instead of TV and beer. Then I will have dessert - something DH came up with. He takes a cup of frozen blueberries and mixes/mashes them together with 3/4 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt. Our version of "ice cream" is 160 cals for a pretty big bowl. Good treat!

Have a fun evening everyone!

Dagmar :goodscale:

Mudpie
03-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Boy email really gives people an out from some hard face-to-face conversations. I've just been let go as Hap's dogwalker - by email :mad:. I feel worse for her than for me - she is a high energy dog who needs to run and socialize. The 2x a day 30 minute on-leash walks her owner's girlfriend gives her won't be enough. I will miss her energy and her intelligence - I have had a lot of fun with her.

And I will definitely miss the $$$. :( DH shows no signs of even looking for a job (and the diet and exercise has been "postponed" again) so I am it as far as the expenses go. I keep explaining to him that if he becomes debilitated due to disease or injury I cannot support him for the rest of his life but he's not listening. I guess he assumes that buying the house will somehow solve all of our financial problems.

I guess I'll start talking to people and advertising and just wait to get a new dog. More stress - yowza.

Dagmar :tantrum:

BillBlueEyes
03-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Welcome Tudor Rose - Congrats on your major success with WW. Will you stay on WW for maintenance?

Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, for your loss of Haps and for the soulless way you were notified. Hope the arriving Spring brings some relief from your stresses.

I'm off to a pre-Spring bird walk this morning. A touch of warm weather and the little guys start chirping away for mates.

Tudor Rose
03-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Then I will have dessert - something DH came up with. He takes a cup of frozen blueberries and mixes/mashes them together with 3/4 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt. Our version of "ice cream" is 160 cals for a pretty big bowl. Good treat!

My dessert last night was a Granny Smith Apple I cut in half, sprinkled some Chinese Five Spice on it, and then baked for about half an hour! It was so tasty but needed just a little something and so I was actually thinking some LF vanilla yogurt would have been perfect. (Or, if I'm ever thinking of splurging a spoonful or two of vanilla ice cream would do the trick as well)

Welcome Tudor Rose - Congrats on your major success with WW. Will you stay on WW for maintenance?

For right now, yes but eventually I would like to switch to just calorie counting. I've been tracking both Points and Cals for awhile now.

bargoo
03-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Dagmar, so sorry about losing the dog and such a careless way to inform you.

ChrisMohr
03-02-2013, 09:50 AM
March is indeed refocusing month for me per the suggestion of several of you. After a bad February, with encouragement from y'all, the refocusing is beginning to work with a 1 1/2 pound weight loss in the past five days, even with all the restaurant activity. The law that says I have to eat like a pig just because I'm at a restaurant has been officially declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Maintenance Court of the United States. So for all those who are joining me in this late-winter refocus, thanks for being on board with me!

alinnell
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Goodness gracious! What a change in routine does to a person!

I had to take Chico in for his oncology appointment (he got an A!) but it was at 4 PM and I didn't get out of there until 5 PM. Meanwhile, I got a Fed Ex tracking update that my wine shipment had arrived at the office (part of it is for MIL's birthday party today). I texted DH to bring it home and he called to say he was already home (one of our employees had stayed late and signed for the shipment). So he suggested I go pick it up as I was fairly close to the office. Yeah, I didn't have a key and there was no way to know if our employee was still there. So home I came and my usual hour of clean-up was way gone and it was time to get dinner on the table! I put everyone to work doing this chore or that and we did manage to eat on time, but I woke at 3 AM realizing I had forgotten to take the steaks out of the freezer for today's party. So now I'm hoping they'll thaw quickly enough to get them marinating by noon.

So we're having about 14 or so for dinner. I'm doing marinated flank steaks (four huge ones) which will be cut against the grain in 1/4" slices. It's really quite good and DH can be in charge of grilling and cutting those. I'm making a triple recipe of artichoke and parmesan risotto. I wonder what I've gotten myself into! A single recipe can take upwards of 30 minutes to prepare. I don't know if I should do two or three single recipes simultaneously or one huge pot (thinking a huge pot might be too hard to stir).

Upon realizing I don't have a key to the office, I also realized my assistant doesn't either and she does our cleaning on Sunday's (and she needs to feed Culley). We called her and worked out a plan. She's going to the old office to set a trap for Mama who has been sitting on our front carpet for two days wondering where we (and Culley) are. Hopefully she'll go in. DH will have a key made and will put it under the carpet at the old office and she'll pick it up and take it to get into the new office. Glad we solved that!

So, busy day ahead! Looking forward to golfing tomorrow. The weather has turned NICE! It was 82 yesterday. Perfect weather for a patio party!

traveling michele
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Hooray for Chico!

My birthday weekend started yesterday with too much yummy food. Dh made a delicious dinner and he served me. He serves big portions. Of course I ate it all. My weight was up a pound. Today I'm going to lunch with a friend to a restaurant I've never been to, but I think there will be some good choices. Then, tonight we are going to a nice dinner which is a big splurge for me. He has something secret planned for after dinner? I'm very curious! Tomorrow we may go see a movie. Nice weekend! I weighed at WW this morning even though I was up a bit because the rest of March may be worse! I have to weigh once a month.

bargoo
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Michele, I must say, you do know how to celebrate a birthday. Have a great time deal with the consequences later.

Steph7409
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Belated welcome, Tudor Rose. I peeked at your blog and will visit again when I have more time. Was there a Kirk in your Stars Hollow? Or better, a Luke?

Allison, I take it Mama is another office cat? How is Culley settling in?

Michele, happy birthday!

Bill, I don't get a wide variety of birds here in the city but the crows seem to be on the move. They sometimes use my neighbors big tree as a rest stop on their journey and it's an impressive sight - there must be over a hundred of them.

Dagmar, I hate it when people use email to avoid unpleasant conversations, though I am sometimes tempted myself. I hope you get a new, better client soon.

I've had a good couple of days and am feeling pretty upbeat. I even got up the courage to weigh myself this morning and it wasn't as awful as I thought it might be. I feel like I've stopped myself from going over the cliff, for the moment anyway. :dance:

bargoo
03-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Update from Angie, Gary's wife (EZMoney)He has developed an infection and will be in the hospital about another 5 days.He can use prayers at this time.

Mudpie
03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Update from Angie, Gary's wife (EZMoney)He has developed an infection and will be in the hospital about another 5 days.He can use prayers at this time.

Sending Gary all the :getwell: and :goodvibes I can!

Dagmar

WardHog
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Sending Gary all the :getwell: and :goodvibes I can!

Dagmar

me too.

saef
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Oh, I do not like those infections acquired in hospitals. At all. So I am wishing Gary all the best, and missing his voice on these boards, his infectious good humor, his openness to sharing of himself, his seriousness, his good common sense, and his testimony of love for his wife, his God, his life. And most of all how he reminded me to slow down and enjoy my life. I wish him many more years to enjoy his own life.

Just plain old missing Gary right this moment.

alinnell
03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I sent healing wishes to Gary this morning via Facebook where I read Angie's update on his page. I miss him here as well as on Facebook. We'd "talk" some days when he was having his chemo treatment.

Yes, Steph, Mama is another office cat, although much more feral. She is Culley's mother. He was one of two kittens in her first litter (she probably wasn't even a year old at the time). Her second litter had 3 kittens, but none survived. Then we caught her and had her spayed. Culley is settling in quite well at the office. My assistant wants to keep him an indoor cat forever as she's afraid he doesn't have sufficient hiding spaces at our new place. We'll see how that goes.

Well my party was a success! I had about 15 people in all. I should have made only 2 batches of risotto instead of three, but leftovers will be fine--we'll have it with some BBQ chicken tonight after golf. The only "casualty" of the night was when I was attempting to demonstrate something to DS which caused me to drop my fork--right into my wine glass which broke and spilled. So now I'm down to only 6 red wine goblets (and 8 for white). I bought this set 9 or 10 years ago at a huge after Christmas sale. I got home and did the math--each goblet cost me 16 cents! What a deal!

Mudpie
03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I have been OP for all of March so far.:p This is the dreaded 'third night" where I usually cave and eat a lot before bed. I will have a large pot of spice tea to go with the "Walking Dead" this evening, instead of all sorts of carbs.

Off to do my final dog walk of the day with Bulut. She is getting much less fearful of other dogs and is quite playful indoors now. When she first arrived from Istanbul she didn't know what dog toys were or how to play with them. Now she does a good retrieve and likes to be chased around her foster person's living room. She will make a patient someone a good pet with a bit more training.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

bargoo
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Dagmar, did you ever find out why Bulut was brought here from Istanbul ?

Mudpie
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Dagmar, did you ever find out why Bulut was brought here from Istanbul ?

Apparently the Turkish government had decided that all the street dogs in Istanbul were a problem. Their solution was to make a plan to catch the dogs and ship them out to the "country". And leave them there to starve.

People in Istanbul really like the street dogs. They feed them and put up sidewalk shelters for them. They just don't want them in their homes. So these people didn't want all the dogs to die.

A rescue organization was formed there and they got in touch with another rescue in Canada and Bulut was one of the dogs they picked to come here.

Why her? No idea - she got lucky!

Dagmar

bargoo
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info, Dagmar. I just wondered since we have thousands of dogs looking for a forever home right here in the US . Can't speak for Canada.

alinnell
03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Several of our shelters here work to ship dogs to other areas. For example, one shipped a bunch of little dogs to Oregon because Oregon has a lot of big dogs in shelters, but not little ones--so most end up getting adopted. They call these things Adoption Alliances and I think they work to the benefit of the animals they serve.

ChrisMohr
03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Gary you are in my prayers!@!!!