Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/303/190

Height: 5'9"

Default Weekly or Daily Calorie Counting

Which do you prefer: Weekly calorie counting or daily calorie counting?

Why??
dms6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count daily , less complicated for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

A lot of people look at their average for the week - so they count daily but they may have 1200 one day, 1600 the next, etc. and end up averaging at their target of 1400 (or whatever the actual numbers are).
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Daily, it's easier
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #5  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I think if u do weekly and mess up u might end up with little to no calories left on the last day, so I find it easier to take it one day at a time
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #6  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Same as everyone else, I find it easier to count daily.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm daily as well. It's easier for me to stay on plan.
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 303/303/190

Height: 5'9"

I prefer daily too but I have read about people who prefer weekly counts as opposed to daily so I was just curious. Knowing me if I had 7 days worth of calories I would probably have most gone by day 3 or 4. Daily seems safer.

Another Question:
When you decide how many calories you need a day (my calculations ranged between 1800-2000 to lose weight for my weight, age and activity) then you end up going over your calories earlier in the day, how do you finish off the day if you are already over your limit and especially if you are way over your daily limit. Do you not eat anything else (which is hard if its early in the day) or do you just go ahead a eat whatever since you already messed it up or what.

I always seem to go over my daily limit because I love carbs and it seems there are always snacks or junk around and its very hard to resist.

For those who write down their day in advance, how do you stick with the plan for the day? I seem to sway from my eating plan.

Suggesstions??
dms6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #9  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms6k View Post
then you end up going over your calories earlier in the day, how do you finish off the day if you are already over your limit and especially if you are way over your daily limit. Do you not eat anything else (which is hard if its early in the day) or do you just go ahead a eat whatever since you already messed it up or what.
Definitely no on the whatever. You stay on plan--or get right back on plan. If you stumbled down the first stair, would you say "oh well" and then throw yourself down the entire flight?

I always seem to go over my daily limit because I love carbs and it seems there are always snacks or junk around and its very hard to resist.

Quote:
For those who write down their day in advance, how do you stick with the plan for the day? I seem to sway from my eating plan.
?
I enter my eating plan into MFP the night before--I go in the kitchen and scan anything that can be scanned, enter quantities--everything. I tell myself I have NO CHOICE but to stick with my eating plan. Changing it isn't an option--if I want something not on my plan, I can plan it for the next day, but changing for today is not an option.

After each time I eat, if I've made minor changes (e.g. 1/2 cup strawberries instead of 3/4 cup) (or the other way: 4.5 oz of ribeye instead of 4), I update MFP right away. I don't rely on my memory or wait until the end of the day. It keeps me aware of where I am relative to my goal net calories.

I'm really good at this on work days and I find it much harder on weekends. I haven't kept to my entered plan yesterday or today--but I've kept to calorie range.

It's hard--it's really hard. For me, though, a pre-entered plan makes a huge difference, since I am not keeping to "rules"--I am keeping to a plan I made myself--and have the power to change for the next day.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Ive definitely had days where I go over my limit early in the day. It's usually days when I ended up cheating.

This happens less now b/c I have an idea of how many calories are in the foods i like to eat so I can sort of plan out what I want for the day (I don't literally plan out though). For example, if I know I want to have chipotle today which is usu. 600-700 calories I have a light/low cal breakfast and have a light/late dinner.

If I go over my calories, I don't freak out. Just eat something healthy and do better next time. I never freak out if I go over calories/ or punish myself. I feel like it gets you nowhere.

I also count calories daily, but I also am aware of my weekly calories b/c I tend to calorie cycle. I am naturally more hungry on some days and less hungry on others, so I find things balance out anyway by the end of the week.

Last edited by ASaladandaDream; 02-24-2013 at 05:15 PM.
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Height: 5'4"

Planning is very important. I'm a menu planner and plan our dinners a week in advance. My freezers are stocked with meats I buy when on sale so they're already available. I base our meals on whatever produce is seasonal and on sale and mix and match from there. I'm relying heavily on recipes from Eating Well and sometimes Cooking Light (not our favorite source for recipes but we keep trying) because the calculations are already done and most fall anywhere between 300 - 500 calories per serving so in most cases I know they will fit in my plan.

I haven't been off plan in weeks but in the beginning I stumbled a bit and I try to never miss a meal. Even if I've messed up early in the day I may go much lighter than I planned in the evening but I still try to eat something.
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I do plan my meals on advance and stick pretty close to my plan. I may alter it but stay within the same calorie range so no harm done. I look at it just like money in the bank , when it is gone it is gone, same with calories I have only so many when they are gone they are gone.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote