Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #1  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting past the "need" to eat

I can't seem to get past this compulsion to be eating. I've tried chewing gum, drinking water, things like that, but it hasn't worked. I constantly need to be eating. I have an addiction to junk - I will go out at 3 am in a blizzard to get snackfood. But even if I have the strength to not buy it, I will just eat whatever is in the house. Cereal, soup, make a sandwich, make myself a lasgna. I feel like I have no control over it.

How do I get past this?
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/136/123

Height: 5

When I feel that way, usually there's something else bothering me emotionally that I'm trying to 'cover up' with food. It's difficult, because sometimes I don't even realize that's what I'm doing until after the binge!

One thing that might help you discover why you do it, is to write down what you're thinking and feeling as you eat. Try to do this in a non-judgmental way, so that you're observing yourself, rather than being hard on yourself. This might help you take a first step towards understanding why you want to binge. One thing that helps me is to 'eat mindfully,' meaning that if I feel like binging, I sit at the table and eat my meal without watching TV or going online, and try to be present with the fact that I'm nourishing my body. Usually this reduces the amount I eat, so it's a good start anyway!

When I had a stressful office job, I used to snack constantly, because I always felt like I was hungry. After 6 months or so of this, I realized that I was snacking because I was nervous! So I eased up on the caffeine, and brought only healthy snacks so that there was less temptation (and guilt) when I had to satisfy my oral fixation. Then I also felt less guilty when I did eat junk food.

It can be confusing to be binging and not know why, but have faith that you'll figure it out You're already halfway there by realizing you're doing it, and that you want it to change. Good luck
stressedstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #3  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm sure it's at least partially emotional...my husband is deployed and I'm dealing with moderately severe anxiety/depression. When I'm on meds to help with the mental health side, my sweets cravings go crazy though, so it's like I can't win! I'm trying to switch to healthier snacks, but I go overboard with those too. I just ate an entire bag of baby carrots. I will possibly be turning orange soon

I just have to try and take it one day at a time. I feel so sick to my stomach every night from all the eating. I need to just power through the bad days, I guess. It's harder than one would think though.
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's not easy, binging is something that takes hold of us and makes us lose our senses. It really does help to abstain from substances that cause our cravings which are carbohydrates, sugar, refined grains and processed foods. The more you give in to these the more they'll have a hold over you. If you're depending on "diet foods" like cereal bars and other processed foods you'll always remain hungry - that's what happens to me. You think you're eating the right amount of calories but if you're getting your calories from processed foods your body will always want more and more and more.

I've also started a thread called Dealing with hunger calmly and deliberately a little further down. I've been approaching hunger as a feeling rather than something I have to run from or mask or placate. I'm thinking "I'm hungry... so what? It's not the end of the world, this is not an emergency." I've been really holding out and allowing myself to feel this hunger so that I can understand it better. In the beginning it was very difficult and it brought out a lot of anger which is bizarre because I've never thought of myself as an angry person. But there it is, blazing hot fury every time I get the least bit hungry. No wonder I've been rushing to fill myself, who wants to be angry all the time. But it's gotten a lot better and helping me deal with all those issues.

I'm not going to lie, keeping myself hungry for even a couple of hours has led to a little bit of binging here and there. But unlike in the past where binging was a downhill roller coaster I come right back to my senses and move on from it. The binging is getting better, the hunger is becoming more manageable, and I'm starting to deal with my emotions. I am embracing hunger and it is working for me right now.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5  
Susanjean

S/C/G: 186/170/130

Height: 5'2

Red face Appreciate all the good tips!

I am on WW's and am losing weight,although I am eating proper foods(lean protein,healthy fruits and vegies,lowfat dairy),I seem to always be hungry. I drink lots of water,and herbal tea,but still hungry. I am a grazer,and try to eat a small amount,often during the day. I don't understand these hunger pangs. But,you are right,as this hunger is not gonna kill me. I'm so used to eating every time I feel hunger. It's so annoying. I do not want to binge. I do appreciate the good advice here,but don't know where to see if anyone has replied to my post. Thanks again.
susanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #6  
Susanjean

You sound so much like me. I have to be careful what I have in the house. I bought some WW's dark chocolate,3 point treats and ate them all within 2 days. Once I get started on anything sweet,seems as if I can't stop. But,noting from above,it is processed. I think the real issue isn't the food. I believe it is something we are missing in our life,that we are trying to fill up and unfortunately,we choose food. Now,maybe we can get to the REAL problem,if we can help each other. Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanjean View Post
I think the real issue isn't the food. I believe it is something we are missing in our life,that we are trying to fill up and unfortunately,we choose food. Now,maybe we can get to the REAL problem,if we can help each other. Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way.
I used to think that way too. Granted, we all probably have issues we need to deal with, but we're not the only ones, everyone has insecurities, emotional baggage, and unhealthy ways of coping with stress, emotions, loneliness, etc. Others may reach for alcohol, or drugs, or an adrenaline rush while we reach for cookies.... Well guess what - sugar is a drug too much like alcohol. And the more we eat it the more we want it. It's pure science. Never in history have we been as exposed to processed food and sugar as we are now. Don't kid yourself, we may reach for food in times of stress - but the food itself is addictive.

This is clearly illustrated by salads - people like salads, or may even love salads. But you don't see anyone addicted to lettuce. Or to carrots. We get addicted to fat, salt, and sugar and mostly to a combination of all of those. Stop blaming yourself for a weakness, and start blaming food!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanjean View Post
I think the real issue isn't the food. I believe it is something we are missing in our life,that we are trying to fill up and unfortunately,we choose food. Now,maybe we can get to the REAL problem,if we can help each other. Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way.
I used to think that way too. Granted, we all probably have issues we need to deal with, but we're not the only ones, everyone has insecurities, emotional baggage, and unhealthy ways of coping with stress, emotions, loneliness, etc. Others may reach for alcohol, or drugs, or an adrenaline rush while we reach for cookies.... Well guess what - sugar is a drug too much like alcohol. And the more we eat it the more we want it. It's pure science. Never in history have we been as exposed to processed food and sugar as we are now. Don't kid yourself, we may reach for food in times of stress - but the food itself is addictive.

This is clearly illustrated by salads - people like salads, or may even love salads. But you don't see anyone addicted to lettuce. Or to carrots. We get addicted to fat, salt, and sugar and mostly to a combination of all of those. Stop blaming yourself for a weakness, and start blaming food!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #9  

Default Find another outlet

You have the exact same problem as me, I am very horrible with this and its a huge factor in my diet. Usually when I get like this its because I am either in my feelings, being very emotional, and not in a good way or its happening because I just see the food and get bored making me want to eat. Just try to find a basic little hobby that takes your mind off of food, such as writing or reading, it always helps me out.
jordan932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10  
Susanjean

Unhappy Day of binging made me add pounds

I was supposed to weigh in tonite for WW"s,but I am so bummed,as I have gained 2 pounds from my binge.I am going to go tomorow and weigh in,hoping it will be less. We got snowed out last week,so,am not cheating on days. I was so overjoyed last week,losing 3.4 pounds,and making my 10 % goal.I got right back on the plan,but guess the damage was done. I'm trying very hard for this not to depress me,but it does. I will take these suggestions I have learned and try them. Without a job,I do get bored,and too much time on my hands. With spring around the corner,and possibility of a new job,maybe my binging will taper off. Not giving up!