Ideal Protein Diet - Xanthan Gum

View Full Version : Xanthan Gum

leannekarella
02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry to post this in a new thread, but the other day I read a post that someone made about using some xanthan gum to thicken their morning smoothie. I believe it was a chocolate drink/spinach smoothie, though I'm 100% sure.

I was wondering... How much xanthan gum do you use, and how well does it set up in something that's not heated?

I have been using xanthan gum in soups and gravies and sauces for a long time to stay away from corn starch and flour, but those are heated and it sets up as it boils (at least I think it always has). I know the amount used is very tiny... I use about 1/4 tsp or less per cup of hot liquid... so I'm very curious about mixing it with something cold.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DontGiveUp17
02-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Your right.. 1/4 tsp is what I have used in my protein shakes made with water. It helps give it a better texture like a smoothie or an RTD protein drink. Very smooth.

AwShucks
02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
I use 1/4 tsp Xantham Gum in my smoothies, blended with ice. It's never failed for me. I don't think heat has anything to do with it. It doesn't really thicken, it makes things smoother -- it's a "mouth feel" thing. It may thicken a bit, but I make my smoothies with ice, so they're pretty thick on their own.

I have found that it helps to blend the Xantham Gum into whatever other powder you're blending in... Just give it a toss with a spoon. Somehow, if all the xantham is on top when I put the lid on my blender cup, I end up with a bit of clumping, and it stickes to the blender parts. If it's mixed in with the other powder, it doesn't. It's great! Makes a big difference in ice-blended drinks.

leannekarella
02-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Thank you for the replies!

scorbett1103
02-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't know why I didn't remember Xanthan gum when I was trying to figure out how to thicken my beef stew and stir fry sauces. Brilliant!

Debrasb
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Is this allowed on Phase 1?

leannekarella
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Is this allowed on Phase 1?

Xanthan is a 0/0/0 when used correctly. It takes such a smallll amount, you needn't worry. If you use too much, it turns into a snotty, gloopy mess. When used right, no more than 1/4 tsp per cup of liquid, it makes a nice smooth sauce/gravy.

I just wanted to know if it really worked on thickening up cold drinks, because I love the flavor of EAS but it's thin and watery, and I think mentally, the thicker shakes make me feel fuller.

lisa32989
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I just retrieved mine from the far reaches of a cabinet.
Thanks for the reminder!

evepet
02-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware that I could use xanthan gum as a thickener for shakes or soups. I have used it in gluten free baking in the past, but didn't think of this. I too will retrieve my container of xantham gum from the back of the upper cupboard. :)

leannekarella
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
It works!

I just made a breakfast smoothie with an IP vanilla RTD (I was trying to figure out how to use these up because I don't like them) some instant coffee, a couple packets of Splenda, and 6 ice cubes in my Ninja...with the 1/4 tsp xanthan. Really fixed my texture problem!

evepet
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
It works!

I just made a breakfast smoothie with an IP vanilla RTD (I was trying to figure out how to use these up because I don't like them) some instant coffee, a couple packets of Splenda, and 6 ice cubes in my Ninja...with the 1/4 tsp xanthan. Really fixed my texture problem!

Good to know. I'm looking forward to testing it out on a chocolate protein powder that is too watery for my taste. Sounds like 1/4 tsp xanthan may be just the ticket.

24/02/13: I've now used 1/4 tsp in both a vanilla protein shake yesterday, and today as a home-made tomato protein soup thickener. It works perfectly. The shake was cold with ice, and the soup was hot - so it obviously works well in both cold and hot. Thx again for this tip.

scorbett1103
02-23-2013, 05:53 PM
It's actually 0/0/0 up to a Tbsp - one Tbsp of Xanthan Gum has 8g carbs but also 8g dietary fiber - for 0g NET carbs. But you need such a small amount to do the job it is really incidental :)

leannekarella
02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Just an update....

Today I used it to slightly thicken my home made Italian/Dijon salad dressing. Makes a much creamier dressing than the watery stuff.

Wonder what I'll do with it next.... ;)

mquinn106
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Funny this popped up. I just picked some up today and made a delicious creamy pesto over spaghetti squash with shrimp...yum!

RareBird
02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Where is xantham gum usually located? I've checked both the baking aisle and the spice aisle (I figured it was worth a shot!) in 2local supermarkets and couldn't find it. I also checked a store that sells Bob's Red Mill products, because I saw online that they make it, and they didn't have it either.

Starshine
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Where is xantham gum usually located? I've checked both the baking aisle and the spice aisle (I figured it was worth a shot!) in 2local supermarkets and couldn't find it. I also checked a store that sells Bob's Red Mill products, because I saw online that they make it, and they didn't have it either.

I'd ask and see where they might put it I find it in the baking aisle, but with things like the guar gum, etc. I've bought mine at Sprouts. We have a Natural Grocers here and they have it in bulk also, and it's much cheaper there.

leannekarella
02-26-2013, 09:50 PM

I bought mine on Amazon. Now brand. $8.30 for 6 oz.

Blessed900711
02-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Love this idea! I used this to thicken my daughters formula when she was having issues with reflux...didn't even think to use it with my food!