Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/207/135

Height: 5'8

Default birthday next week and alcohol

hey guys so my birthday is next week and my friends want to go out this weekend. I'm 22 so there's a lot of partying and drinking with my friends. Having joined the gym and counting calories and all that for two months I feel like I'll be back to square one if I do this. At the same time though I want to go and have fun for my own birthday.

What do I do?! What drinks should I have if I do??
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/133.9/125

Height: 5'5''

I say go out! You only have one birthday a year

In terms of drinks, you could have a vodka soda or rum and diet coke, basically anything with diet soda will have less calories than a margarita or something like that.

Just make sure you're still accountable for the calories you drink. You could also consider drinking less than you normal might, or trying to eat healthy that day and then have drinks.

Good luck, and Happy Birthday!
khagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #3  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

Happy birthday! I just turned 23 last Friday and had the same dilemma. I decided to be extra-vigilant all week about my food and exercise (making sure I didn't eat too much or skip workouts) and then just celebrate my birthday without trying to limit myself too much.

I did do a bit of what khagler suggests: eat/drink a little bit less than normal (depending on what your normal is, of course). I made sure to only eat one slice of cake and have a few drinks less than my normal (or at least fewer drinks mixed with juices and other things that ramp up calories), as well as eat healthy all day leading up to it.

As long as you confine it to only one day, you should be fine! Going all out one day every 365 is worth it to celebrate!
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I don't count on my birthday. I enjoy myself, eat and drink what I want and then go right back to my plan the next day.

Last edited by Candeka; 02-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

I second (or third, fourth haha) what others are saying - you only have one birthday a year, enjoy yourself without going too far overboard. One day won't ruin you

In saying that, make sure you don't use this excuse for too many events - in the past I've made the excuse that it's my dad's birthday, my sister's birthday, my boyfriend's birthday, my anniversary blah blah blah, all of a sudden everything is a special occasion where I can forget calorie counting!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #6  
KTB

S/C/G: 189/176.4/135

Height: 5'1

Happy early birthday! (my birthday is next week too)

I am struggling with the what to drink thing too, especially because I try not to drink soda of any kind. There are light beers, and wine and you could mix a flavored vodka with seltzer and squeeze of orange, or lemon, or lime. Or hey, you could just do shots (*grin*)

I have had a few occasions recently where more complicated food and alcohol has been involved. I will eat lightly the day before and the day after and I will add an additional workout into my week. I also tend to workout the day OF the event. With my birthday coming up, I am applying the same plan of attack.

It is not cheating if you plan in treats (especially on your birthday), it's LIFE.
KTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

It's only going to trip you up if you're super hard on yourself, or if you use it as an excuse to go completely out of control. Give yourself a little slack (not too much lol), and happy birthday!
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/169/160

Height: 5ft 4.5in

Happy birthday, have fun and stay safe. I agree with everyone else enjoy yourself and because you are being aware you probably won't do as bad as you think.
mygirlvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #9  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Have fun and don't be too hard on yourself if you have a few too many calories. I personally stick with vodka diet cokes when I drink, although if you're used to margaritas you may not like them...
Happy early birthday!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Eat drink and be merry! Just get right back on plan the very next day. Resist the urge for "hangover" food the next day. Have a glass of water between boozy drinks (yeah, you will pee a bunch, but it will help with the hangover!) and chug a big glass before bed. In the morning have a 10 cal vitamin water and a good breakfast! Enjoy your birthday but don't let it throw you off your plan
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote