100 lb. Club - How much do you spend per month in groceries?

SmallSteps
02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Where do you live?

How many are you feeding?

Just curious how much money you spend a month on your groceries? With the way everything is going up, it seems ridiculous on how much money food is costing us. We are a family of three living in Las Vegas, NV and we spend roughly $400 a month.

Candeka
02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
I live in Canada and between my husband and I, it averages to about $300.

Vex
02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
3 in my house - around $400 a month

berryblondeboys
02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
We spend a LOT... but I always wonder if people really add that number up right.

Are you counting JUST groceries? or everything you would buy at a grocery store?

Like, I buy dish soap, shampoo, etc at the grocery store.

And, when people count how much they spend on groceries, are they counting all meals? all snacks? Or do you go out to eat sometimes too? or buy lunch at work, etc?

I just simply cannot imagine spending as little as many people here and on other threads that ask this same question say and I "DO" bargain shop and make everything from scratch save the protein bars.

Candeka
02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
We spend a LOT... but I always wonder if people really add that number up right.

Are you counting JUST groceries? or everything you would buy at a grocery store?

And, when people count how much they spend on groceries, are they counting all meals? all snacks? Or do you go out to eat sometimes too? or buy lunch at work, etc?

I just simply cannot imagine spending as little as many people here and on other threads that ask this same question say and I "DO" bargain shop and make everything from scratch save the protein bars.

As a full time student, my budget is insanely tight for food and I keep all of my receipts so I like to think its pretty accurate. I agree though, if it wasn't for having to be very very careful, I would be spending more on food.

Sum38
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
OMG, I feel like a pig. We spend 1
$1200-1400 per month, but it includes all purchases made at Costco (paper etc)

chubbiegurl
02-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Live in California have 5-7 to feed and I have a deep freezer and make nothing but chicken breast usually so I spend about 120 a month on breas. I get it about for about 2 bucks per pound and we eat like 3 lbs per day. I think I spend about 250 on other stuff. On weekends my oldest son and my friend are usually here but we tend to always eat out ever Saturday. So usually I guess we spend about 370. Some times I may make a steak or something a little more expensive so my total may go up a bit, but my budget allows for no more than 100 a week.

19Deltawifey
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Probably about $300-400 a month. We have 3 kids and a dog who eats raw meat, so our grocery bill is kinda high and I plan to start shopping at costco soon so I can buy in bulk.

berryblondeboys
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
According to this table (http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0732.pdf), our family of 5 (1 7 year old boy, one 16 year old boy, two adults in their 40s and a woman in her 70s) would spend about $180 to $310 a week depending on thrifty to liberal (and of course, this doesn't take into account location - these are averages). I live in a very expensive part of the US. Food is expensive here.

We spend at the grocery store per week about $300. BUT that includes all meals, AND a couple times a month we have some event I need to bring food for for a LOT of people. It also includes all snacks AND all cleaning supplies, toiletries, kitchen paper products, etc. (paper towels, napkins, coffee filters, sandwich bags, etc.) We never go out to eat, so there is no additional cost thrown in there either.

When you take out the "other" stuff. We probably spend about $250-$275 a week on pure groceries.

And I think we do pretty well. That is organic dairy and eggs, fresh produce, high quality foods. The only processed food I buy is protein bars - if you call that processed.

chubbiegurl
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

My total does not include toilet paper, shampoos, vitamins dish soap etc or the once a week eating out but I did add up everything I buy for food and snacks. I just forgot to add water, we buy a 24 pack every other day which will cost anywhere from 1.50 to 2.99 depending on sales.

berryblondeboys
02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
OMG, I feel like a pig. We spend 1
$1200-1400 per month, but it includes all purchases made at Costco (paper etc)

That's about what we spend too Sum for our family of 5 (3 adults, a teen and a grade schooler). And it too includes all "grocery store-like" items.

Skellig19
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Grocery store spending for 2 adults in their mid 20's and 2 20lb dogs is $400. I tend to get panic attacks though if I am anywhere near the $100 mark each week so I try to stay around $80 and then feel better if I need to run out for something I forgot or don't usually buy.

I live in the Lower Mainland in BC and food is pretty expensive here compared to the US (well WA anyway). I am a pretty thrifty shopper, though and I frequently put products back as I'm making my way to the checkout (do I really need 2 jars of peanut butter just because it's on sale? NO, it goes back!).

My monthly grocery budget includes detergents, shampoo, motor oil, vitamins, etc. b/c I buy them at the grocery store.

mccull83
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I live in Iowa and my husband and I spend $500-600/month for everything that goes in our stomachs (that includes our usual one meal out to a restaurant and all fast food trips, but does not include paper products/toiletries)

Mozzy
02-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Georgia, five people, about $500 a month on strictly food items, not including eating out

berryblondeboys
02-22-2013, 04:41 PM
I frequently put products back as I'm making my way to the checkout (do I really need 2 jars of peanut butter just because it's on sale? NO, it goes back!).

This I don't understand. If you use peanut butter on a regular basis. WHy not get it when it costs less?

Like last month bread flour was on sale. I only needed one bag for that week, but I go through several a month. So, by buying 4-5 of them THAT week saved me about $6 for the month on flour.

And I NEVER buy things I won't use/don't normally buy. So, like no buying that hamburger helper on sale as I never make hamburger helper.

PreciousMissy
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
For 2 adults and one 20lb dog in Denver we spend $320-360 a month, that includes toiletries, but that does not include the random trips to the store because we're out of something that we didn't need during our last trip.

I've cut down to cooking every other night because we were throwing away so many leftovers. Normally this would be our shopping weekend, but we still have so much left over from the last two trips we're not going. I believe I have enough in the freezer and pantry to last, at the very least, next week, if not longer.

BeachBreeze2010
02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Here in Ohio, on weeks where it is just DB and me we spend about $150 on groceries - food and related items only. When we have the kids (3 under the age of 13), it goes up to $200. And we eat out maybe twice a month, so $800 per month on food?

SarahFairhope
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
For just grocery store food items, we spend $200/week (non-holiday, non-special event) in New England. Two adult, two child (2yrs & 4yrs) household, all meals cooked at home.

This does not include any protein powders, meal replacement drinks or supplements.

alaskanlaughter
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
up here where i live in alaska, there are no roads in or out and all store items are flown or barged up from the States...prices are a little more expensive...i shop every 2 weeks with payday and spend about $280 every two weeks on all store items...so a little over $500 there and with a few extra trips to the store, maybe another $100 every 2 weeks, maybe less than that...

i buy for a 4-person household, me and DH, and two boys ages 15 and 6, plus a puppy...the only "brand name" stores to shop from here are walmart, fred meyers and Costco...plus smaller local stores

Radiojane
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
For two of us I spend about six hundred a month. $300 on the first tuesday of every month (10% Tuesday) and then around 100 to maybe 150 a week afterwards. We eat a lot of fish, meat and fresh vegetables, and we're in a very pricey market (Thanks oilfield). Keep in mind that this total keeps us with a fully stocked deep freeze and that we eat out less than once every two months and take all our meals to work with us.

I've actually cut us down quite a bit. We were spending close to a grand on food each month, but since I've been dieting and I bought a quarter beef from my uncle, I've managed to save quite a bit.

April Snow
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
It's me and an 8 year old boy.

I spent about $525 since the beginning of the year at Costco, Target, Sprouts and the various supermarkets I go to. That includes health and beauty products, paper products, cleaning supplies, plus some random stuff like toys or clothing. I also spent about $60 on restaurant meals, including my son's Subway sandwiches. :D And I spend about $30 per month for his lunch (he eats school lunch every day - but it's cooked from scratch daily at his school, it's not the typical horrible school lunch!). Almost meals are cooked at home, and I bring my lunch to work.

So that's about 7 weeks for a little over $600. So roughly $90 per week, or $400 a month to round up a bit for anything I might have forgotten.

I'm actually going to go back and look at 2012 for comparison, to see if I was spending more or less last year when I wasn't on my eating plan. My impression is that I spend about the same overall but it will be interesting to see if that's true.

Patrizia
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm in Indiana and I try to keep it under $200 a month (grad student on a super tight budget, so $50 a week is ideal), though I don't eat dairy, meat, or processed food right now which helps! There are definitely times I go over, particularly near holidays or birthdays!

Also, like berryblondeboys suggests, I definitely stock up when things are on sale... for instance strawberries were on sale last week so I stockpiled them in the freezer for oatmeal the next month or so.

traci in training
02-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Kids are grown and out of the house so it's just Phillip and I. I spend 80 to 100 per week at the local grocery. About once a month I'd say I spend 200 at Sam's and 100 or so at whole foods, whole foods is mostly produce, Italian tomatoes, and scallops. So about $700-$800 per month. More of course if the kids are home for the weekend.

We live in Iowa, eat out once or twice on the weekends, and take our lunches to work with us. I don't do coupons but I do stock up on sales.

200poundquest
02-23-2013, 03:34 AM
Had to bust out my receipt for this past week to see what I'm spending my money on, since I seem to be spending way more than most for just me lol.

So here it is:

Fresh Fruit & Veg:
$30.41

Canned/Packaged:

Dried Beans:

Meat & Seafood:

Milk, Eggs, Cheese & Sour Cream & Yogurt:

Frozen Fruit:

Total:

I'd say that's about average and I probably spend $350 - $400 a month. I'm hoping I can save some this summer by hitting the farmer's market and I could probably do better at choosing recipes that use some of the same ingredients so I waste less.

divine miss R
02-23-2013, 09:27 AM
For my husband and I, we spend anywhere between $600-800 a month on grocery store trips, but that also includes miscellaneous nonfood items as well. We eat very well, apparently!

LockItUp
02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Interesting thread!!!

For us, just food for the human family (not pets) in Phoenix, AZ - 1 adult male, 1 adult female, an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old we spend between $75 to $125 a week average. Of course sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. Depends on our budget.

Pink Hurricane
02-25-2013, 10:30 AM
For my husband and I, living in Georgia, we are in our 20s, and we spend about $200-300 per month. We shop every two weeks, and usually buy most stuff on sale or with coupons. When I was not as focused on buying healthier foods, it was closer to the $200 range, but now that we are buying almost all healthy produce and whole grains, the total is closer to $300. It just depends on sales and coupons and what we need for that time. One thing that helps keep it in the middle of that range is when we buy meat in a little bulk that we use a lot of (chicken) and instead of using the usual pound of meat with a meal, I take about 6 oz and cook with that, which makes the meat last longer.

Silverfire
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I have been spending too much on groceries lately, or at least it feels that way. I can easily spend more than 100 bucks a week, and more often that not, end up throwing away a bunch of un-eaten produce! I am trying to be less wasteful and more conscious of what I am buying, planning my meals for the week and STICKING to my list! Costco kills my grocery budget though, I always find more things than I planned on buying :( This is a work in progress though.

Skellig19
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
This I don't understand. If you use peanut butter on a regular basis. WHy not get it when it costs less?

This might be hard to explain...For me, being thrifty is a mental thing as well as a monetary thing. I absolutely LOATHE the idea of over-consumption so often my rationale in this situation would be that a) I will not consume 2 1kg jars of peanut butter before the next sale and b) if we do, so what? We go without for a few weeks until it's on sale again. I refuse to go over budget just because I feel this rabid need to "stock up." I lived out of country for a while on my own at a younger age and learned very quickly the difference between needs and wants, especially in regard to food. I *want* peanut butter, but do I really need it?

I do it with clothing, paper products, everything. I will have a cart full of clothes that I would like to get and then I go through all of them and usually leave with about 25% of my original cart. I just can't justify spending money on stuff I don't absolutely need just because it's on sale. Money is money whether it's less than the original sticker price or not. It's not free. ;)

Radiojane
02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
I have been spending too much on groceries lately, or at least it feels that way. I can easily spend more than 100 bucks a week, and more often that not, end up throwing away a bunch of un-eaten produce! I am trying to be less wasteful and more conscious of what I am buying, planning my meals for the week and STICKING to my list! Costco kills my grocery budget though, I always find more things than I planned on buying :( This is a work in progress though.

THIS. I finally had to accept the fact it made more sense to go to the grocery store every few days and get just what I needed for produce. It isn't like it's out of my way, the grocery store is attached to the mall I work in that's 4 blocks from my house.

Costco is murder for me. We went to the one in Regina at Christmas and I blew 400 bucks like nothing. I'm usually really good about not "stocking up" on food though, partially because we're eating paleo and there isn't a lot of non fresh stuff to buy that's on plan, and partly because I'm recovering from my grandmother's mormon cupboard. What's that?

The house my grandparents were living in when my grandfather died was a huge 1980's upper scale bungalow. Under the stairs was a room the size of most people's bedrooms that was lined with shelves. When we moved grandma, we found in that room 45 unopened cans of coffee, 7 bags of rice, 189 different canned vegetables. 16 boxes of macaroni..... the list goes on. It was just the two of them, we lived a province away. She loved to shop though. Since then, I've always been mindful about not hoarding and wasting.

I'll never forget the worst part: We found a bottle of ketchup that had been purchased in 1975. She moved in 1998!:o

This might be hard to explain...For me, being thrifty is a mental thing as well as a monetary thing. I absolutely LOATHE the idea of over-consumption so often my rationale in this situation would be that a) I will not consume 2 1kg jars of peanut butter before the next sale and b) if we do, so what? We go without for a few weeks until it's on sale again. I refuse to go over budget just because I feel this rabid need to "stock up." I lived out of country for a while on my own at a younger age and learned very quickly the difference between needs and wants, especially in regard to food. I *want* peanut butter, but do I really need it?

I do it with clothing, paper products, everything. I will have a cart full of clothes that I would like to get and then I go through all of them and usually leave with about 25% of my original cart. I just can't justify spending money on stuff I don't absolutely need just because it's on sale. Money is money whether it's less than the original sticker price or not. It's not free.

This too. Mostly because I had to learn this behavior. I have a bad habit of shopping as therapy, and I work hard to keep it under control.

April Snow
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I've been clearing out my pantry cupboard and finding that I did have a lot more stuff in there that I hadn't realized I had, and would buy new, and the old stuff just got pushed further the back and even more hidden. Same thing with stuff in my freezer. A lot of it was so old that I had to just toss it, although at least now there isn't anything else hiding in there.

So I am working in trying to find a happy medium when it comes to buying things on sale. This weekend, we went to the grocery store and while I didn't buy a huge cartful, it was still about $60 worth of food, and all but 2 items were on sale. One of those was a special type of yogurt for my kid that he wanted and the other was ground chicken for chicken parm meatballs, and I never see that on sale. Even on sale, I tried to buy only things if I knew that the need was imminent. For instance, I was down to 1/2 box of pasta (for my son), so I bought a box because it was on sale rather than waiting until I was out and would need to buy some on a week when it didn't happen to be on sale. But in the past, I would have said "oh, pasta's on sale!" grabbed a couple of boxes only to get home and find I already had 2 or 3 boxes in there.

On the other hand, I bought 16 boneless chicken thighs because they were on sale. That's about 1 week's supply for me since I'm on a low carb plan and I eat mostly chicken as my protein. I'm even thinking of going back to get more, to have a couple of weeks supply in the freezer.

berryblondeboys
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
I've been clearing out my pantry cupboard and finding that I did have a lot more stuff in there that I hadn't realized I had, and would buy new, and the old stuff just got pushed further the back and even more hidden. Same thing with stuff in my freezer. A lot of it was so old that I had to just toss it, although at least now there isn't anything else hiding in there.

When we bought this house 3 years ago it had a tiny pantry - 24" wide and 24" deep. Basically a small coat closet with shelves. it had an 18" wide door.

We were going to be gutting the kitchen, but my husband wanted to leave the pantry to save $ on the remodel. Well, we were fixing other things in the house (master bath was unusable, so that one. Making the half bath to a full bath for my MIL and so on) before we got to the kitchen which was also pretty unusable. In that three month time I "lost" a jar of molasses. So, I bought another. I "lost" some nuts too. I thought about getting some pull-out shelves for the pantry, but it was 24" wide, but the door opening was only 18" wide. Plus the cost of those pull-outs would be about $300 and would waste so much space.

I finally convinced my husband that trying to find something 2 feet back in the pantry was just asking to lose more and more stuff, no matter HOW organized I was. So, he gave in.

Instead, I had them slide in a pantry unit with drawers. I lose a couple inches, but I can see EVERYTHING. The top is a basket I can see under to see what's in there. Since then (as I also keep it organized), I've never lost anything.

I did my entire kitchen in drawers. I don't have any upper cabinets except for one. (the way the kitchen is configured with some big windows.) It's been LOVELY. Want a pot - I pull open a drawer. Want my pasta/rice, pull out a drawer.

I've gotten spoiled!

For the freezer, I have a small one -5 cubic feet. it's the only one that would fit into the mudroom and I figured it would be easier to keep track of what's in there. I also keep by the lid on the wall a list on a clipboard of what's in there and how long it's been in there.

But yes, food waste can be a problem. And while I spend a LOT on groceries, the only time we ever throw anything away is if someone(s) gotten sick and we just don't go through things at the usual pace so things go bad.