Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Default IP and Shiftwork

Hello fellow IPer's

I need a little advice. I work at a government agency that is a 24 hour operation, and my time has come to work my sunrise rotation. I have not been on IP while working the sunrise shift, so I just need some advice.

I start tonight a 9pm. So I will "try" and take a nap at some point today, eat a normal dinner with my husband tonight at a normal dinner hour. (6-7pm) and then I will eat IP food throughout my night.

But my issue is, since tonight is my first night, I really don't sleep much or at all during the day. I am not a napper. So, I am pretty much eating throughout the day as well. So I am eating from this morning until tomorrow morning. I'm going to say around 5-7 IP products. is that Bad?

Should I be eating so many IP products? Or should I just eat a salad overnight?

Don't know what to do.
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
Hello fellow IPer's

I need a little advice. I work at a government agency that is a 24 hour operation, and my time has come to work my sunrise rotation. I have not been on IP while working the sunrise shift, so I just need some advice.

I start tonight a 9pm. So I will "try" and take a nap at some point today, eat a normal dinner with my husband tonight at a normal dinner hour. (6-7pm) and then I will eat IP food throughout my night.

But my issue is, since tonight is my first night, I really don't sleep much or at all during the day. I am not a napper. So, I am pretty much eating throughout the day as well. So I am eating from this morning until tomorrow morning. I'm going to say around 5-7 IP products. is that Bad?

Should I be eating so many IP products? Or should I just eat a salad overnight?

Don't know what to do.
You shouldn't be having two to four extra packets just because you are staying up all night. In a 24 hour period, you should be eating what is on your sheet - maybe one extra packet because you are going to be active for a longer period of time, but two to four is a bit excessive. You may want to consider splitting your dinner protein - have 4oz at dinner, then save 4oz for work and have it over a lettuce salad. That way you are eating something of substance besides lettuce, but not overdoing it.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I just recently worked 2 overnight shifts, 1 unplanned, and had a snack later in the evening, the equivalent to an extra pack. When I worked straight nights, I never liked eating a full meal so late, even when we did get take-out or bring in goodies.

I currently work 3-11. I just had my 1st pack around 11. Will have a second pack before I go or bring a drink to work. I eat dinner between 6:30-7:30 and have a snack when I get home. Sometimes I make a huge bowl of lettuce and use Southwestern cheese curls as croutons.

I would also suggest caffeine free herbal tea, which helps me when the knosh monster strikes.

GL!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

I work straight shift work changing between 12 hour days and 12 hour nights, I make the switch over 2 times in a 6 week period and I agree with what the other ladies said I have an extra egg or an extra pack on the first day when I am up the longest, I usually have my more substantial vegetables that day and make sure to have the full 8oz of protein. So far it has always worked well for me. It is more of a hungry day but gets me through and I am nursing and running around all night.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #5  

thanks for the advice.. it's just today that Im worried about. I get home at 6am tomorrow morning and go right to bed. I know I will sleep at least 9 hours. (Granted that my neighbor's dog doesn't bark all day). So I will be back on track come tomorrow night. (my day is my night/ vice versa)

I don't get too hungry overnight, but when I do, I eat very light. So I might eat an IP soup overnight, and I also made muffins with my IP packets, so I could eat 2 of those (they are very small) for breakfast around 4am.

And take out an IP packet this afternoon.

might be ok doing that.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
thanks for the advice.. it's just today that Im worried about. I get home at 6am tomorrow morning and go right to bed. I know I will sleep at least 9 hours. (Granted that my neighbor's dog doesn't bark all day). So I will be back on track come tomorrow night. (my day is my night/ vice versa)

I don't get too hungry overnight, but when I do, I eat very light. So I might eat an IP soup overnight, and I also made muffins with my IP packets, so I could eat 2 of those (they are very small) for breakfast around 4am.

And take out an IP packet this afternoon.

might be ok doing that.
You could always have a 2 egg-white omelet instead of your afternoon IP packet, that way you still have something to carry you through the day but aren't going overkill on the packets.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
You could always have a 2 egg-white omelet instead of your afternoon IP packet, that way you still have something to carry you through the day but aren't going overkill on the packets.

thank you! I might actually do that.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169.2/159.8/145

Height: 5'6

I work crazy shift work too. My coach told me on my midnight shift that it was okay to add a packet because I need to eat every four hours.
Betterthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #9  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I have worked nights for years 12.5 hour shifts with a 45 mile commute in rush hour traffic .Friday night the 1st night I will add an extra packet to make the adjustment from the day to night schedule.
On my way to work I will drink a protein shake but I drink it slowly so might have a half filled with extra water and ice,and then will finish the rest.
I count the day over@ midnight ..then I eat probably hopefully by 1Am but it could be probably is later and I will have a protein shake will charting .
I eat in the morning 1/2 by protein and veggie and a protein shake..and go to sleep . I will get up and eat the other 1/2 protein and some veggies, save some veggies to eat at work like the crunch and that satisfies oral stim I need.
This way I am sure to not miss getting everything in for the day.
Sometimes I have tried to take protein in form of Tuna packet and maybe I would not be able to fit it in because of busy assignment, so adjustments are made.
Or on return trip home I will have a protein shake.
The next day is back 3 packet day.
I am very picky eater and have found this system works well for me and keeps me on target.
Everyone finds what is their own sweet spot
Good Luck, Roo2
My Coach is complete agreement and 4 packets plus Blueberry Cran Granata for
1st night has not hurt with weight loss in anyway
:wo ohoo::wooh oo:
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #10  

I would eat every 4 hrs while you are awake-a meal or a packet just like you would if you were up all day.

Also, my coach told me that the bedtime drink should be within 2 hrs of whenever you go to sleep.
LilacPants is offline   Reply With Quote