Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default don't like being so skinny

Hey all,

So it's been about 7 months since I've been maintaining. Over the past few months I've been really struggling with the weight I'm at. I never thought I'd be unhappy with wearing a size 2 jeans, small and extra small shirts, having a flat stomach, tiny waist and small thighs. I feel like I should love the body that I have but I'm having a hard time being happy about it.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I feel so bony and because I feel so bony my body hurts. My hip bones give me the most issues mainly when I sleep because their so hard I can't really get comfortable. And their always banging against things, like when I bathe dogs at work, I feel my hip bones against the tub and I have to step back otherwise it's uncomfortable. My ribs and shoulder bones also hurt because there's no fat in those areas for protection. I've also been finding that I get bruised real easily throughout my body, such as my right thigh where I'm pretty much bruised all over.

I've been thinking I want to gain some weight back but then I'm afraid of it going to all the wrong places. I've been weighing between 116-120 and I'm 5'3" so I don't think I'm underweight. I also just took some measurements, my hip is 32", waist 26", ribs 27", bust 32" and thigh 21"

So for the rambling but this has just been on my mind lately and don't have anybody else to really talk about this issue with.

Have any of you felt something similar about your body after you achieved goal?

Last edited by SoCalCowgirl; 02-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hm, an interesting problem. I can relate somewhat, because whenever I have lost weight in the past, it seems to come off the bony areas first (meanwhile the fatty areas take forever to budge!). My ribs get really bony and it hurts where they knock against my arms.

Have you tried wearing thicker clothing or maybe pads under your clothing? There might be some kind of undergarment that would cushion you.

For sleeping, I have a lot of joint issues including hips. I sleep with a pillow under my knees and holding one across my chest, or if I am on my side, one between my knees (it spaces them out and they can't bump into each other) and holding one in front of me.
sophiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #3  
Better Posture

S/C/G: 145/125/glutes

Height: 5'6.5''

The same thing happened to me. I lost weight changing my eating habits and doing a lot of running, 30 day shred, pilates, body pump and things like that. I got down to around 118 pounds. I am pear shaped and I had a very bony upper body and still had stubborn fat at my thights and a saggy butt. I didn't like myself I felt too slim.

I think at this point what helped and what could help you is stop thinking in terms of gaining or losing weight as you are obviously now in a healthy weight and try to focus on reshaping your body through changing your eating habits and exercise.

What I focus now is in weight lifting and I try to fuel my body to get the best performance at lifting. I have increased my protein intake and on days I lift I try to get a lot of carbs that sit well with me (potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, rice) post workout to help recovering from the workout. On rest days I just walk, do yoga and mobility exercises, foam rolling.

I have managed to reshape my body now. I weigh around 125-129 now though I don't weight often. My bust size has gone from 31 to 35. I don't see my bony neck and extreme collarbones anymore and I am closer to an hourglass shape now. My hip size is around the same but my butt has gone from saggy to lifted and rounded and I absolutely love it now. More importantly lifting is correlated to an increase in bone density and it makes you strong to deal with things in your life in an easier way. I am also prone to bruises and it hurts sitting on the floor or other surfaces but you will probably just will have to get used to that.

Anyway hope you find a new goal that helps you making your life healthier.
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

I have had similar thoughts when choosing my goal weight. How attached are you to the number on your scale? Ultimately it is not about being thin but being healthy and comfortable with your body.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote