Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Thursday 2/21/2013

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Thursday 2/21/2013

lisa32989
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Happy Thursday!

So far so good on P3, I have been cooking up a storm for breakfast - today had LizRR's apple cinnamon oatmeal pancakes, I added a half a scoop of vanilla protein powder to the mix because I'm taking a Crossfit-style class at the Y this morning and figured I could use the boost. My muscles are definitely feeling the burn from adding more intense exercise, I did some light yoga to stretch out last night and was still sore this morning. It's all good though, I'm just thankful to be in good enough shape to be exercising this much to begin with!

mrsstunner
02-21-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm starting IP today. Still nervous as heck but had my first shake and all is right in the world. I'm hungry though. I guess that's to be expected. I should start on my water intake so maybe I'll curb some of the hunger. Wish me luck.

M35A2
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm starting IP today. Still nervous as heck but had my first shake and all is right in the world. I'm hungry though. I guess that's to be expected. I should start on my water intake so maybe I'll curb some of the hunger. Wish me luck.

Congratulations on starting! Everyone says the 1st 4 days are the worst (for me it actually was day 4 - kind of nauseaous all day) and they're right. After that it's amazing how much easier it gets.

My suggestions would be to bookmark some of the recipe threads. There's a lot of great ideas on how to dress up veggies beyond just steaming them. My favorite has to be roasting - spritz with oil, salt, a little cayenne pepper and in the oven for 20 minutes.

Here's hoping the 1st 4 days fly by!

greeniris
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
mrsstunner & M35A2 - Grilled veggies are awesome too (though my grill is buried under about 18" of snow at the moment). Impatiently waiting for spring...

scorbett - Ohh, another recipe I haven't tried yet! Need to pick up more oatmeal this afternoon. I had 1 serving of oatmeal with a bit of PB2 in it yesterday morn - Mmmmm! (For the newbies - I am in maintenance now.)

The weatherman is saying we should see a bit of sunshine today; cant wait! Michigan sees so few days with sunshine in the winter it is a real treat when it peeks out. A friend and I are going to talk tonight to put together a "flower-garden-planning" party. We're all getting cabin-fever, and getting anxious for spring (realistically still 2 months away at least).

Have a good day!

lisa32989
02-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Wishing you MUCH success! Ketosis kicks in day 4 or 5 and it is an appetite suppressant! You have that to look forward to. Until then, my coach allowed 3-5 packets/day.
Eat ALL your veggies and HUGE salads.
You can also have 2 egg whites/day (they are 0/0/0)

Remember a lot of the hunger isn't REAL hunger (altho it feels doggone real! But you really aren't starving)...it is your head playing Jedi mind tricks with you, trying to get you to cave & feed the organism the amount it is used to being fed. A LOT of hormones and chemicals will be screaming at you. Drink LOTS of hot herbal tea and boullion (it also helps with the ketosis-flu symptoms).

Cooked veggies help me feel more satiated than raw. That may help, as well.

mrsstunner & M35A2 - Grilled veggies are awesome too (though my grill is buried under about 18" of snow at the moment). Impatiently waiting for spring...

The weatherman is saying we should see a bit of sunshine today; cant wait! Michigan sees so few days with sunshine in the winter it is a real treat when it peeks out. A friend and I are going to talk tonight to put together a "flower-garden-planning" party. We're all getting cabin-fever, and getting anxious for spring (realistically still 2 months away at least).

Oh man! DH takes a broom to the grill. We use it all winter! Unless we have to chip away ice. Thanks for reminding me. I'll put the cover on it today because an ice storm is on the way.

And sunshine in the winter is one of the FIRST things I noticed when I moved away from Michigan. I remember calling my mom and saying, "It's sunny here in the winter!" I lived in Lansing, which is one of the cloudiest cities in the world!

ragdoll74
02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm guessing a couple more months and I'll be able to enjoy all the phase 3 breakfasts like you Scorbett.

mrsstunner- water will definitely help. Don't forget it's ok to have a 4th packet if you get really hungry today.

greeniris the garden planning party sounds sounds like fun. I'm gonna have to steal that idea.

I went shopping last night because all of my pants are way too loose on me. I swear every time I go shopping, I have a heck of a time finding the right size and length pants. I spent 2 hours shopping at 4 different stores just to buy 4 pairs of pants. I'm looking forward to maintenance and not having to buy new pants every 6 weeks.

SylviesGirl
02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
First things first:

Mother Of The Groom: Congrats on your fantastic week 1 loss!!! 10 lbs, wooo-hoooo! We're on our way, baby!

Dinie -- Congrats on your 4 lbs loss . . . even AFTER dinner! It must be a relief to have made the "jump" to an evening WI now.

Lisa -- I lived in Lansing for 3 years. I had no idea it was such an overcast climate . . . I was in law school at the time . . . barely saw the light of day anyway . . . I do remember my husband complaining about something or other though. ;)

MrsStunner -- I started 8 days ago. The first night, I was unbelievably hungry . . . I finally just went to bed to escape it. The next two days brought bad headaches and some sleeplessness. Day 5 things smoothed out big time. My first WI was fantastic and I am here on day 9 to tell you that, no matter how you feel in these first few days, bear down, get through it -- herbal tea w/splenda helped me in the afternoons -- and it will be more than worth it!! Just do what you need to do to get yourself through your first week -- I began basically treating myself as if I was sick -- doing very little, lots of fluids (water), low expectations for myself as far as housework, etc. You'll do great!

Bubbleblower -- Wow, you have quite a re-entry ahead of you . . . I hope you can soak up as much fun and relaxation as you can before then!

I made Big Mac in a Bowl last night -- even for my husband and son, though theirs included cheese and regular Thousand Island. Quite tasty and filling!

Have a good day, all!

Alma4343
02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Good Morning, For those of you using Myfitness pal, do you put in your vitamins for the day so you get an accurate look at your nutritional information?

Just started using it and I think it will help keep me motivated and start figuring out patterns. Just got invited to go with some friends to Italy in May! So excited. They already booked a Villa outside of Pisa with some friends and had a spare room. I can't believe I am going to do it. I can be at goal and I am REALLY hoping I make it before the trip. Will have to figure out what to do on the trip later. But, for now, focusing on 100% and making it to goal before I go!

Have a great day everyone

Mother of the Groom
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Good morning everyone! Feeling great today, looking forward to whatever the day brings me.
Have a 100% op fabulous day! :)

mrskuby
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Alma, that is sooo exciting!! What a great incentive to stay OP to goal so you don't have to be OP in Italy!!!

Okay, so yesterday I posted that I was up 2 lbs from last week WI. I was kinda bummed but not freaking out cause I knew I just needed to stay OP and it would be okay. Today was my WI and I was down 3 lbs from yesterday!!! It's only 1 lb from last week but I am sooo excited!!! TOM and I am still down!!

I have been thinking that if my weight loss slows down a lot...like a lb a week I am going to go to phase 2 or 3 and get back to the gym. I need to get started training for Tough Mudder this summer plus I really miss my workouts! I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks but if I don't lose more than 1 1/2 lbs/week then it's time to get back. I understand now what I need to do to lose weight and that carbs are the killer for me so I feel confident that this will be the right decision.

Of course if my weight loss doesn't slow down then I will keep doing what I'm doing for a while longer! :P

mrsstunner
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Congratulations on starting! Everyone says the 1st 4 days are the worst (for me it actually was day 4 - kind of nauseaous all day) and they're right. After that it's amazing how much easier it gets.

My suggestions would be to bookmark some of the recipe threads. There's a lot of great ideas on how to dress up veggies beyond just steaming them. My favorite has to be roasting - spritz with oil, salt, a little cayenne pepper and in the oven for 20 minutes.

Here's hoping the 1st 4 days fly by!

Ya know, I haven't even looked at the recipes really yet. I've concentrated so much on the diet itself and reading up on alternatives and such that I guess it slipped my mind. Thanks for the idea on roasting veggies, its sounds yummo!

We are big grillers too when the weather cooperates. In fact, that's how we cook the majority of our meals throughout the summer. Wonder if I can grill veggies on a George Forman grill? Anybody do that?

Wishing you MUCH success! Ketosis kicks in day 4 or 5 and it is an appetite suppressant! You have that to look forward to. Until then, my coach allowed 3-5 packets/day.
Eat ALL your veggies and HUGE salads.
You can also have 2 egg whites/day (they are 0/0/0)

Remember a lot of the hunger isn't REAL hunger (altho it feels doggone real! But you really aren't starving)...it is your head playing Jedi mind tricks with you, trying to get you to cave & feed the organism the amount it is used to being fed. A LOT of hormones and chemicals will be screaming at you. Drink LOTS of hot herbal tea and boullion (it also helps with the ketosis-flu symptoms).

Cooked veggies help me feel more satiated than raw. That may help, as well.

Boy you are full of lots of helpful info huh? Thank you for the well wishes, I'll take all of them I can get;) I had no idea I could have egg whites in addition to my packets/meal. Awesome! What about eggbeaters instead of eggwhites? Is that ok? If so, wonder how much is equal to two egg whites...
What's the deal with the boullion? I didn't know that either? Just mix with hot water like a soup?
I'm gonna get flu symptoms? O goodness...didn't know that either. Guess I need to keep reading huh... Thanks so very much for all the help and info!

MrsStunner -- I started 8 days ago. The first night, I was unbelievably hungry . . . I finally just went to bed to escape it. The next two days brought bad headaches and some sleeplessness. Day 5 things smoothed out big time. My first WI was fantastic and I am here on day 9 to tell you that, no matter how you feel in these first few days, bear down, get through it -- herbal tea w/splenda helped me in the afternoons -- and it will be more than worth it!! Just do what you need to do to get yourself through your first week -- I began basically treating myself as if I was sick -- doing very little, lots of fluids (water), low expectations for myself as far as housework, etc. You'll do great!

Hooray! I have a newbie buddy :hug: and thanks for the heads up! I'm lucky I guess b/c I'm a SAHM so I limit myself if I need too. I figured if I got to hungry I'd just drown myself with water but hot herbal tea sounds wonderful too.
I love all the encouragement you guys have offered. :) Certainly didn't expect everyone to be so encouraging! It's pretty awesome.

Thanks everyone! My mom has started with me today too. Cross your fingers for both of us!

leannekarella
02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

WELCOME!

Drink lots of water these next few days... Eat as much lettuce as you want to "fill the hole" and remember that though these first few days are a b*** it DOES get better and the results are fabulous!

ultramommynine
02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Good morning all! Hope everyone is having a great day! Haven't been on much for the last few days cause I was on days off from work and spending time with my husband and kids. Stayed totally on plan with the exception of 2 shaved ham slices I had on my veggies one day at lunch. I'm not having any restricted items so I doubt 34 extra calories of ham would make much of a difference on the scale. I also tried the chocolate mug cake last night. Blech. Don't think I made it right because it seemed like chocolate flavored dehydrated condensed fine curd cottage cheese. Surprisingly my 2 year old had the nerve to like it when I let him taste a piece.

I learned my lesson about daily weighing when I gained 3 pounds of water weight yesterday morning, but two came off this morning so I'm still 7 pounds down from when I started on Sunday. I'm trying to get it stuck in my head that this is going to be a year long journey of learning and growth and that fluctuations are a totally normal and natural part of weightloss.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm going to get back on the diet tomorrow. I did it before, but the huge markup on the vitamins (they insisted I needed for the diet to work) made it impossible for me to stay with. I take vitamins on a daily basis...my question..is it mandatory to buy their vitamins? Vitamins are vitamins, I thought

ragdoll74
02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm going to get back on the diet tomorrow. I did it before, but the huge markup on the vitamins (they insisted I needed for the diet to work) made it impossible for me to stay with. I take vitamins on a daily basis...my question..is it mandatory to buy their vitamins? Vitamins are vitamins, I thought

I tried switching to alternative supplements, but I didn't feel as good on them as the IP one's. You can check plainprotein.com to see if the IP supplements are cheaper than at your clinic. Some clinics mark up the products more than others.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I tried switching to alternative supplements, but I didn't feel as good on them as the IP one's. You can check plainprotein.com to see if the IP supplements are cheaper than at your clinic. Some clinics mark up the products more than others.

Thank you, I'll do that. In what way did you feel different on them, if you don't mind my asking? I ask because I found out about this diet through my husband. A few of his co-workers went on it and lost a lot of weight. But he did say since they've been off it they are packing the weight back on. However, the consensus was, that the vitamins were way overpriced and a couple of them quit for that reason. Our local 'clinic' is through a chiropractor and apparently his feelings were the vitamins were mandatory and the diet would not be effective without them

ragdoll74
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Thank you, I'll do that. In what way did you feel different on them, if you don't mind my asking? I ask because I found out about this diet through my husband. A few of his co-workers went on it and lost a lot of weight. But he did say since they've been off it they are packing the weight back on. However, the consensus was, that the vitamins were way overpriced and a couple of them quit for that reason. Our local 'clinic' is through a chiropractor and apparently his feelings were the vitamins were mandatory and the diet would not be effective without them

It was in August that I switched to alternative supplements and after a week I ordered the IP ones from plainprotein. I just felt tired and really blah (not sure how to explain it). Once I got back on the IP supplements I felt normal again.

I'm sure there are some very good quality supplements that will work just fine, but I'm not sure what the price advantage would be. I tried using Nature's Made & One a Day Womens.

The biggest savings I've had is switching to the alternative products I buy online. I get 3 weeks of packets for the cost of 1 week of IP packets.

Fabulousatfifty
02-21-2013, 12:34 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! I am new too - finishing up week 3! This diet works, I have lost 12.4 pounds in less than three weeks. Big secret on hunger - drink water and greent tea. I have a cup of green team after every meal and it really curbs the hunger! Good luck, stick with it, the first couple days are the hardest and my coach said that if you can't stand the hunger, you can have an xtra pack (non-restricted) the first few days!
:D

leannekarella
02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
It was in August that I switched to alternative supplements and after a week I ordered the IP ones from plainprotein. I just felt tired and really blah (not sure how to explain it). Once I got back on the IP supplements I felt normal again.

I'm sure there are some very good quality supplements that will work just fine, but I'm not sure what the price advantage would be. I tried using Nature's Made & One a Day Womens.

The biggest savings I've had is switching to the alternative products I buy online. I get 3 weeks of packets for the cost of 1 week of IP packets.

I stay with the IP Cal/Mag and potassium, but I use a 'generic' multi vitamin that has about the same numbers. I just couldn't afford their markup. PlainProtien.com is way cheaper than my clinic.

IPRound2
02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Alma, that is sooo exciting!! What a great incentive to stay OP to goal so you don't have to be OP in Italy!!!

Okay, so yesterday I posted that I was up 2 lbs from last week WI. I was kinda bummed but not freaking out cause I knew I just needed to stay OP and it would be okay. Today was my WI and I was down 3 lbs from yesterday!!! It's only 1 lb from last week but I am sooo excited!!! TOM and I am still down!!

I have been thinking that if my weight loss slows down a lot...like a lb a week I am going to go to phase 2 or 3 and get back to the gym. I need to get started training for Tough Mudder this summer plus I really miss my workouts! I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks but if I don't lose more than 1 1/2 lbs/week then it's time to get back. I understand now what I need to do to lose weight and that carbs are the killer for me so I feel confident that this will be the right decision.

Of course if my weight loss doesn't slow down then I will keep doing what I'm doing for a while longer! :P

Congrats on losing weight in a tough week. My suggestion is don't phase off. I did the same thing 2 years ago - was frustrated with 1.2-1.6 losses (esp when my coach told me to expect 2-3 pounds a week-wrong info I know now). I thought I could do it on my own especially because I wanted to run a half marathon with my friends. I initially lost some weight but quickly got back into old habits (you do sound like you have a better handle on nutrition than I did though). I tried restarting multiple times and never made it past the first week until this time around. There are other Tough Mudders. If you decide to race - best of luck, I was asked to do one but I'm not brave enough :)

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Thank you so much rag doll...you have been a huge help. Thank you for the website

mrskuby
02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Congrats on losing weight in a tough week. My suggestion is don't phase off. I did the same thing 2 years ago - was frustrated with 1.2-1.6 losses (esp when my coach told me to expect 2-3 pounds a week-wrong info I know now). I thought I could do it on my own especially because I wanted to run a half marathon with my friends. I initially lost some weight but quickly got back into old habits (you do sound like you have a better handle on nutrition than I did though). I tried restarting multiple times and never made it past the first week until this time around. There are other Tough Mudders. If you decide to race - best of luck, I was asked to do one but I'm not brave enough :)

Thanks! I don't plan on phasing off entirely. I just know I'll need to eat more calories as the bootcamp workouts I do are very strenuous so I figured that if I head for phase 2 or 3 then I would have enough fuel to get through it. For me, I like to do challenging workouts so just walking or ellptical would bore me to tears. I've already signed up for Tough Mudder so I am committed! (Or maybe I should be committed for deciding to do it! LOL)

I haven't made the decision to make changes yet because I've heard so much about how hard it is to come back to phase 1. Your words of wisdom are not falling on deaf ears. LOL I've had so much success I don't want to screw it up! I already know from experience that working out does not help me lose weight...so I am hoping to find a happy medium :D

And congrats on getting through the first week again! You're on your way!!!

MSEMDEE
02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
So last week I missed WI due to a snow storm.
This week I had a 2.6 lb loss!
I am so excited with this program!
Yes, my losses have been slower than most but still faster than I put it on.
I am so excited to go closet shopping this weekend!
Ok, going to change my ticker now.

IPdivajen
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi all! Congrats on some great losses, and welcome those of you just starting out!

A wee bit of advice if you're up for it...in those first few days, avoid too much experimentation with new stuff (spices, etc). If you're experience is anything like mine I had a rough transition into ketosis and felt really gross for those first 4 days. We tried a lot of new things then, including a Parmesan and herbs spice that I was sure I'd love. Well, because I was feeling so disgusting those few days, I now can't STAND that spice. Turned me off it completely, so I can't even smell it any more as I associate it so closely with those few nasty days.

So maybe wait a weeeee bit before trying new things so that you have a better chance of enjoying them for the long haul! Just a BTDT thought. Good luck!

bellasamimom
02-21-2013, 01:47 PM
I ordered my vitamins from Plain Protein. Much cheaper than my Dr. Office. I also order the RTD's and a few other things because it came to about a $100.00 savings. It came super fast.

ultramommynine
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm only on day 5 but I'm not taking the vitamins and I'm losing weight :D
I take a prenatal (leftover from last pregnancy and some omega 3/6/9 I got at the vitamin shop.

IPdivajen
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
ultramommy, you really should be taking the supplements as part of the plan, even alternatives if you must. You're simply not getting them from the food you're eating so in order to stay healthy and keep your electrolytes balanced you need to get them from somewhere.

Hope that doesn't sound preachy but they really are necessary to overall health!!

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi...does anyone have a promo code for the vitamins at plain vitamin?

bubbleblower
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

The issue with not taking supplements isn't that you won't lose weight. The issue is that you are simply not getting enough nutrients through your food, plus the fact that a ketogenic diet depletes your body's stores of some important vitamins and minerals. If you are substituting alternatives, I'd suggest you carefully compare them to what's recommended. I buy my supplements from plainprotein.com.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Bubble blower...is there a promo coupon to use

Great Dane
02-21-2013, 02:15 PM
So you other "weigh every day" people like me. Ever had a 9 pound gain in 24 hours? 7 am Tuesday morning naked I weighed 141.4, Wednesday morning 150.8 naked. This morning 147.0. This is after a WI where for once I lost a tiny bit including a couple 1/4" losses (though I think those are just tape measure inaccuracies). And my IP WI (142.6) with clothes was Tuesday about 90 minutes after my naked at home on my scale weigh in after only having a large cup of coffee as any liquid or food intake and the little bit of weight difference due to clothing and liquid was pretty spot on.

I AM NOT THROWING OUT MY SCALE. Wednesday's weight really threw me for a loop. You know like what the h-e-double l.

PacNW IP
02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi...does anyone have a promo code for the vitamins at plain vitamin?

If you mean at Plainprotein.com, you can use a promo code if you have over a certain dollar amount in your cart. I think it's somewhere between $130 and $160, but you'll need to play around with it. The code is usually the name of the current month.

lizard107
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi All! Day one for me! About to go to the store and buy out the veggie section :) Love this group!!

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Congrats! Once you push through the first week you will be fine :)

If hunger gets you there are a few things you can do:
-First, drink water or hot tea. Thirst can often mask itself as hunger.
-Use and abuse your extra lettuce. If the thought of eating a handful of lettuce makes you not want to eat, you weren't actually PHYSICALLY hungry, your mind was making you think you were.
-You can have 2 egg whites per day as an "extra". Sometimes that gives you the boost you need to get to the next packet.
-You ARE allowed an extra unrestricted packet in the first week - it's there if you need it.

I take a prenatal (leftover from last pregnancy and some omega 3/6/9 I got at the vitamin shop.

VITAMINS ARE NOT EQUAL. Nor are they optional when you are on Phase 1.

You are not getting the full nutritional spectrum from your food on Phase 1. The "big 3" required vitamins fill those gaps and even if you are losing weight, your body is going to be deprived of essential nutrients if you skip the vitamins.

Regarding just taking OTC vitamins versus the IP versions, I have posted extensively on this subject. But the short story is, Phase 1 is hard on your liver and kidneys on its own - so when IP developed their vitamins they specifically chose FORMS of the different nutrients that were easy for the body to absorb and process. They are just overall better for your body during P1. I also had budgeting issues with IP but even when I switched to alternative products I continued to buy the IP vitamins. I did a LOT of research into this - most OTC vitamins have completely different FORMS of the nutrients in them than IP's version - forms that

1. are not going to be processed as easily by your body, and
2. are not dosed the same as the IP forms

For example, most commercial vitamins use Potassium Gluconate or Potassium Citrate as the potassium supplement. IP uses Potassium Bicarbonate, which is the broken-down version of Gluconate. It absorbs easier without stressing the kidneys. 100mg of Potassium Gluconate is NOT the same thing as 100mg of Potassium Bicarbonate. Forms matter in dosing and effect on your body in P1.

I have gotten my IP vitamins from plainprotein.com for months, they are less expensive and very reliable. It is worth making room in the budget for the vitamins even if you switch to less expensive packets.

ragdoll74
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi all! Congrats on some great losses, and welcome those of you just starting out!

A wee bit of advice if you're up for it...in those first few days, avoid too much experimentation with new stuff (spices, etc). If you're experience is anything like mine I had a rough transition into ketosis and felt really gross for those first 4 days. We tried a lot of new things then, including a Parmesan and herbs spice that I was sure I'd love. Well, because I was feeling so disgusting those few days, I now can't STAND that spice. Turned me off it completely, so I can't even smell it any more as I associate it so closely with those few nasty days.

So maybe wait a weeeee bit before trying new things so that you have a better chance of enjoying them for the long haul! Just a BTDT thought. Good luck!

Very good suggestion! I still can't stand the thought of the IP soups.I did have a soup on the first day and loved it, but had it again on day 2 and that is when the nausea started.

If you start to notice that you are getting leg cramps, make sure you start taking pottasium. I get leg cramps whenever I forgot to take mine.

So you other "weigh every day" people like me. Ever had a 9 pound gain in 24 hours? 7 am Tuesday morning naked I weighed 141.4, Wednesday morning 150.8 naked. This morning 147.0. This is after a WI where for once I lost a tiny bit including a couple 1/4" losses (though I think those are just tape measure inaccuracies). And my IP WI (142.6) with clothes was Tuesday about 90 minutes after my naked at home on my scale weigh in after only having a large cup of coffee as any liquid or food intake and the little bit of weight difference due to clothing and liquid was pretty spot on.

I AM NOT THROWING OUT MY SCALE. Wednesday's weight really threw me for a loop. You know like what the h-e-double l.

My advise...pretend like you never saw any of those numbers after your Tuesday weigh in. I suspect there is a scale conspiracy for all of us daily weighers. Those darn scales like to see just how far they push us before we snap. :goodscale

ultramommynine
02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
ultramommy, you really should be taking the supplements as part of the plan, even alternatives if you must. You're simply not getting them from the food you're eating so in order to stay healthy and keep your electrolytes balanced you need to get them from somewhere.

Hope that doesn't sound preachy but they really are necessary to overall health!!

I should have worded that better :) I meant I'm taking prenatal vitamins not the actual IP vitamins. Thanks for pointing it out though :). That's what we're all here for!

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I remember not being a big fan of the soups either. The tomato wasn't too bad and I'd put broccoli in it as well
I did like the eggs. I also learned to use a lot of spices.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Question??? I just ordered $100.00 worth of vitamins from the Plain Protein site. But at the clinic you all go to, did they tell you it was mandatory to take them with the program...by purchasing theirs? Also, where I'll be going..initially you had to go to a seminar that was $200.00. I was able to waive it because I had already been thru it

ultramommynine
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Congrats! Once you push through the first week you will be fine :)

If hunger gets you there are a few things you can do:
-First, drink water or hot tea. Thirst can often mask itself as hunger.
-Use and abuse your extra lettuce. If the thought of eating a handful of lettuce makes you not want to eat, you weren't actually PHYSICALLY hungry, your mind was making you think you were.
-You can have 2 egg whites per day as an "extra". Sometimes that gives you the boost you need to get to the next packet.
-You ARE allowed an extra unrestricted packet in the first week - it's there if you need it.

VITAMINS ARE NOT EQUAL. Nor are they optional when you are on Phase 1.

You are not getting the full nutritional spectrum from your food on Phase 1. The "big 3" required vitamins fill those gaps and even if you are losing weight, your body is going to be deprived of essential nutrients if you skip the vitamins.

Regarding just taking OTC vitamins versus the IP versions, I have posted extensively on this subject. But the short story is, Phase 1 is hard on your liver and kidneys on its own - so when IP developed their vitamins they specifically chose FORMS of the different nutrients that were easy for the body to absorb and process. They are just overall better for your body during P1. I also had budgeting issues with IP but even when I switched to alternative products I continued to buy the IP vitamins. I did a LOT of research into this - most OTC vitamins have completely different FORMS of the nutrients in them than IP's version - forms that

1. are not going to be processed as easily by your body, and
2. are not dosed the same as the IP forms

For example, most commercial vitamins use Potassium Gluconate or Potassium Citrate as the potassium supplement. IP uses Potassium Bicarbonate, which is the broken-down version of Gluconate. It absorbs easier without stressing the kidneys. 100mg of Potassium Gluconate is NOT the same thing as 100mg of Potassium Bicarbonate. Forms matter in dosing and effect on your body in P1.

I have gotten my IP vitamins from plainprotein.com for months, they are less expensive and very reliable. It is worth making room in the budget for the vitamins even if you switch to less expensive packets.

Ohh I see what you guys are saying now. They were prescribed my doctor and they're all I've got for now. My husbands been on disability for the last couple months and hasn't got a paycheck since December. I'll definitely check out the planprotein site for when our funds aren't so pinched!

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Scorbett...are the vitamins ok from the plain protein site on phase 1

Tziri
02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Hello & :welcome: to all the people starting IP.

I agree with whoever said to take it easy on all the recipes and spices the first week (I would have quoted you but I'm on my phone and it's too much work!! :)).

Like everyone mentioned, there are great recipe forums on here for veggies, packets and new dinner ideas. I also started an IP recipe board on Pinterest and have found a lot of other peolple with IP recipe boards on there as well; it's another great way to find more food ideas and it puts them all in one handy spot.

bubbleblower
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM

They're the same exact products (with the same labeling, etc.). Just much less expensive!

Bubble blower...is there a promo coupon to use

Unfortunately I'm not aware of one.

SylviesGirl
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Hello & :welcome: to all the people starting IP.

I agree with whoever said to take it easy on all the recipes and spices the first week (I would have quoted you but I'm on my phone and it's too much work!! :)).

Like everyone mentioned, there are great recipe forums on here for veggies, packets and new dinner ideas. I also started an IP recipe board on Pinterest and have found a lot of other peolple with IP recipe boards on there as well; it's another great way to find more food ideas and it puts them all in one handy spot.

I had such a headache for most of the first week, the last thing I wanted to do was try to read recipes. LOL I ate very simple stuff as I was hungry enough that almost anything was good enough and I hadn't been at it long enough to be sick of anything. Actually, that's still my approach right now.

It hadn't even occurred to me to look on Pinterest. Thanks!

I guess I am too much of a worry-wart to mess around with the vitamins. I ordered them all from plainprotein. With all the other things I have on my mind right now, at least I can give myself the peace of mind of knowing I've got the vitamins/supplements that I need.

I had my first food nightmare last night . . . I dreamt I was cleaning my kitchen and found a stray Christmas cookie and popped it into my mouth before I even thought about it. Then I stood there frantic, wishing I could turn back time. :dizzy:

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Thank you to all who have answered my questions. I am so glad I found this site to get info on my journey ��

benice
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM

Any chance your scale's batteries need changing?

ladylunk
02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Lot's of talk about vitamins today. Just picked up more for myself. I have a story about that, one of the guys at dh work was copying his wife on IP, but was not taking his vitamins. Keeled over at work one night with horrible stomach pains. They figured it out pretty quick. I guss that could be the lack of potassium? I told my coaches that my husband is doing this along with me (they are ok if I buy extra, but I get him alternatives too). They were very insistant on how important it was that he takes vitamins.

On another note I had my weigh in today and wanted to share. I had a new coach last week who when measured me I thought she was holding the tape tight and questioned her. She said they all measure a little differently, but are usually very close.....blah blah. I had 5.75 inches lost last week. And she insisted it was great and to just be happy. So I was. I put it to the back of my head and celebrated a big drop. Well today reality set in as I was back to my regular coach. Only dropped .5 of an inch in my neck. She looked at last weeks numbers and understood it was too much last week and knew just by who the measurer was that it was too high a number. She figures realisticly it was around 2.5 each week. I was all down until I stepped on the scale, and drum roll please....I think I had a whoosh. 4.8lbs! So happy with this. Yippee! I had a happy ending after all. Have a great day everyone. Going to pull out my roasting cauliflower and sit back down and catch up on more ip reading.....

mrskuby
02-21-2013, 03:58 PM

It's funny that I just had the same experience...not 9 lbs but 4.6 lbs from Sunday morning to Monday morning...then Tues and Wed it went down just a little, then this morning was my actual WI day and I was down 3 lbs from Wed morning (that's 1 lb from last WI). :D Just take it with a grain of salt...if you've been OP then it is just water and it will go away! As a daily weigher, I have learned not to take the numbers too seriously if I know I've done the right thing. Just stay OP and trust the process...and swear that you won't weigh every day (which of course you still do!):devil:

Desafinado
02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
I usually don't do this but I have been hungry mid-day so I added two boiled eggs to my salad. How much do I cut my protein back at dinner to balance it out? Or do I?

amberjules
02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
This is a follow-up to yesterday's daily chat post about whether spinach is unlimited, like lettuce.

I asked my coach about it last night and interestingly, they had just updated their Phase 1 sheet, because the news is that RAW spinach is unlimited, but cooked spinach is not. Cooked would count as towards your 4 cups of vegetables a day.

I was so happy because I've been eating raw spinach in unlimited quantities on salads or thrown into a drink mix smoothie.:carrot:

pocahontas812
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
This is a follow-up to yesterday's daily chat post about whether spinach is unlimited, like lettuce.

I asked my coach about it last night and interestingly, they had just updated their Phase 1 sheet, because the news is that RAW spinach is unlimited, but cooked spinach is not. Cooked would count as towards your 4 cups of vegetables a day.

I was so happy because I've been eating raw spinach in unlimited quantities on salads or thrown into a drink mix smoothie.:carrot:

Just curious....when you say "they" had just updated their PI sheet, does "they" mean your coach/clinic, or does it mean Ideal Protein? Basically wondering if this is an official change to the program or is it a local clinic change based on your coach's interpretation of the program.

If this is an official change, I'm kind of bummed.....I make a lot of breakfast smoothies with added raw spinach. If it's not to be counted towards the 4 C of daily veggies that means I have to increase my veggie intake at lunch and dinner. Would seem kind of pointless to continue adding raw spinach to my smoothies.....

FlooNimbus13127
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm using some alternative products that I purchased on Nashua Nutrition.

But I found that some of the Proti-Diet products are available on Amazon. AND some are eligible for Prime shipping....:D

amberjules
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Happy Thursday!

So far so good on P3, I have been cooking up a storm for breakfast - today had LizRR's apple cinnamon oatmeal pancakes, I added a half a scoop of vanilla protein powder to the mix because I'm taking a Crossfit-style class at the Y this morning and figured I could use the boost. My muscles are definitely feeling the burn from adding more intense exercise, I did some light yoga to stretch out last night and was still sore this morning. It's all good though, I'm just thankful to be in good enough shape to be exercising this much to begin with!

How are you feeling on P3? Any change in how your body feels, emotions, etc?

I went shopping last night because all of my pants are way too loose on me. I swear every time I go shopping, I have a heck of a time finding the right size and length pants. I spent 2 hours shopping at 4 different stores just to buy 4 pairs of pants. I'm looking forward to maintenance and not having to buy new pants every 6 weeks.

That's a nice problem to have isn't it?

So last week I missed WI due to a snow storm.
This week I had a 2.6 lb loss!
I am so excited with this program!
Yes, my losses have been slower than most but still faster than I put it on.
I am so excited to go closet shopping this weekend!
Ok, going to change my ticker now.

Congrats on the weight loss. Hey 2.6 lbs is equal to 10.4 sticks of butter, no imagine what 10.4 sticks of butter looks like and how awesome that is that it's no longer on your body.:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carr ot:

amberjules
02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Just curious....when you say "they" had just updated their PI sheet, does "they" mean your coach/clinic, or does it mean Ideal Protein? Basically wondering if this is an official change to the program or is it a local clinic change based on your coach's interpretation of the program.

If this is an official change, I'm kind of bummed.....I make a lot of breakfast smoothies with added raw spinach. If it's not to be counted towards the 4 C of daily veggies that means I have to increase my veggie intake at lunch and dinner. Would seem kind of pointless to continue adding raw spinach to my smoothies.....

My coach updated their sheet after they got the word from Ideal Protein of the official change. Of course you'll want to check with your coach as well, but if it's official then I imagine all coaches would have to let their clients know. Of course we know that doesn't always happen. :)

M35A2
02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Any chance your scale's batteries need changing?

I had that problem once. Looked down and thought the readout said "FAT" It actually said "BAT" It was right either way.

Ali Williams
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Happy Thursday!

Wow, Scorbett! I havenít been able to check in this week so I wanted to see what everyone was up to and you are already at P3. I am really interested in learning more about the other phases and what the transition is like so I will be watching you.;) You sound like you are doing great and it keeps us all inspired.

I had my WI today and I am down just over 2lbs this week. I am always prepared for little to no loss but I am always down at least 2 so it just tickles me. I still canít get over this diet-it really works! Yippee!

Have a great day my fellow IP'ers!!

Alison

disgal
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I had that problem once. Looked down and thought the readout said "FAT" It actually said "BAT" It was right either way.

:rofl:

My2loseW8
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Welcome newbie's!! This is a great resource!!
One thing that is important. If you are getting headaches remember your salt (and possibly oil). For me, if I do not get my salt intake I get a headache. If I get a headache I typically pour some into my hand and take it and my headache goes away in like 15 minutes (I am getting my water so I know it is not dehydration). May not work for all or make it go away completly- but something to try and to put in your arsenal.
I was looking at alternative vitamins- I have never been to a coach (none here)- just 3fc and my brother did it in MN and then moved here. I found this site and away I went.. the potassium is the hardest one to get alternatives on- because I have yet to find a place that sells them with 850mgs of potassium. If I don't take them I get leg cramps or even weird back cramps. I get all my vitamins from plainprotein too-
The first week is all carb withdrawls. It is mental and physical.
Good luck to all and keep us updated. I hope your first week goes fast!! The first weigh in is so worth it!
~My

My2loseW8
02-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Oh and vegetables.. my new favorite is cauliflower. You would be amazed at what you can do with it! 'Sweet' or savory! Check the first page of this post for some recipe sites (Rainbows!!!) and like someone else mentioned, Pinterest has some great recipes too!- though be sure to look for IP ones!
Cheers!
~My

ladylunk
02-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh and vegetables.. my new favorite is cauliflower. You would be amazed at what you can do with it! 'Sweet' or savory! Check the first page of this post for some recipe sites (Rainbows!!!) and like someone else mentioned, Pinterest has some great recipes too!- though be sure to look for IP ones!
Cheers!
~My

I am also on a huge cauliflower kick right now. Mostly roasted and riced. Mashed was a thumbs down for me. I am interested to hear about your sweet cauliflower creations.....

Glover girl
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM

That's a riot!

Ojenchilada
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I have committed to following a daily challenge...for lack of a better word...for Lent. Day 8 (today) is No Complaining Day.

So in light of that...yay! The WI scale says I lost 0.5 lbs this week (even though home scale says 3 lbs)! Woohoo! I am so excited to spend another week in the 200s!

My2loseW8
02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Cauliflower- Rice it up. Add your milk for the day (plus water if needed- or just water if you dont want to use your milk!) and microwave it. Add Cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, Splenda or Stevia, maybe some vanilla or maple extract or WF maple syrup- depending on how I feel. Maybe a little dash of a peanut butter protein powder mix (taken out of a daily packet- an alternative-non IP). or add some WF jam.. yumm. or some pumpkin spice. I warm it up- then 'dress' it up. I typically use frozen cauliflower- microwave it to thaw add stuff then grind in my food processor- but you could rice fresh cauliflower and freeze it too or prepare and eat then-The frozen is faster for me. And I like the grind texture better than the riced.
I get good veggies in this way! I do this with my oatmeal too. Just remember to stay true to plan.
There are some good recipes for roasting, I imagine that you can do an oil, cinnamon\nutmeg\ground clove- stevia coating and roast away.. I sometimes look at Pinterest and adapt things.. There are some good recipes for roasting chick peas- which we cant have in Phase 1.. but you could adapt them to cauliflower and replace any non phase 1 items with phase 1 items. Like stevia for sugar etc.
Don't forget your extracts.. Sometimes adding a little coconut extract to my curry spices is wonderful! Or cherry to my chocolate pudding etc.
:) ~My

lisa32989
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
More cauliflower ideas
Caulflower Pancakes (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/267145-cauliflower-pancakes.html)

I usually don't do this but I have been hungry mid-day so I added two boiled eggs to my salad. How much do I cut my protein back at dinner to balance it out? Or do I?

A "dinner" serving of eggs is 4 whole eggs plus 2 eggs whites.
So I'd say a bit less than half?
Somebody better at math than me can figure it out!

Ali Williams
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM

That's hysterical!! :joker::joker:

I needed that.

Love the cauliflower ideas..it's amazing how versatile it is. Personally, I think it is the answer to constipation issues-just saying.

Alison

ragdoll74
02-21-2013, 08:09 PM
That's a nice problem to have isn't it?

It is a good problem to have! I always thought it would be so much easier to find clothes in my size when I got thinner, but it isn't. The good news is I'm not disgusted with what I see in the fitting room mirror anymore.

ginettepv
02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the info, on my fourth week. Down 10 pounds, Have PCOS and Hypotyroidism, so extremely happy with weight loss. Still feeling incredibily hungry though. My collegues at work laugh as I am always chewing on a leaf of romaine lettuce. My hunger is always around 10 am and 3 p.m.
My only drawback is the many bathroom stops at night. Already had problems sleeping because of menopause, so this is making is so much harder, even though I stop drinking around 7ish.
Still lost more weight in three weeks than I did in 6 months working out 5 times a week with a personal trainer ( whom I adore). Will have to check out pinterest.

Idohair07js
02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I am new here!! Started last Monday and Monday was down 5 ibs. I'm not feeling hungry, but a bit of anxiety has set in.. Anyone else? And I'm so tired!

Cheekyskeeter
02-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I was so tired in the beginning too but it got better and now I feel great.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Tomorrow I will be going to my appt. and getting weighed and measured. Very excited. Once this is done, how do I do one of those signature scales?

LizJazz
02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the info, on my fourth week. Down 10 pounds, Have PCOS and Hypotyroidism, so extremely happy with weight loss. Still feeling incredibily hungry though. My collegues at work laugh as I am always chewing on a leaf of romaine lettuce. My hunger is always around 10 am and 3 p.m.
My only drawback is the many bathroom stops at night. Already had problems sleeping because of menopause, so this is making is so much harder, even though I stop drinking around 7ish.
Still lost more weight in three weeks than I did in 6 months working out 5 times a week with a personal trainer ( whom I adore). Will have to check out pinterest.

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism too and am still hungry for most of the day.

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I am so excited about starting this diet. Reading the posts here and looking at your stats, gives me so much incentive. You are all real people, with the same problem. I get skeptical reading testimonies on product sites...so this is awesome. I probably won't even be able to sleep tonight.

My2loseW8
02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Signatures are 20 posts and 20 days. Once you hit that, your signature box will show up in your User CP under Edit Signature. Then you pick one of the accepted sites to make your signature- go into your User CP and paste your link into your new Edit Signature box.
According to the User CP: You may only use those from 3FC, Ticker Factory, and Ticker Central

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Signatures are 20 posts and 20 days. Once you hit that, your signature box will show up in your User CP under Edit Signature. Then you pick one of the accepted sites to make your signature- go into your User CP and paste your link into your new Edit Signature box.
According to the User CP: You may only use those from 3FC, Ticker Factory, and Ticker Central

Thank you very much for the ticker info

My2loseW8
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I am so excited about starting this diet. Reading the posts here and looking at your stats, gives me so much incentive. You are all real people, with the same problem. I get skeptical reading testimonies on product sites...so this is awesome. I probably won't even be able to sleep tonight.

Welcome!!! You will do awesome. I too was skeptical. Many of us that have tried 'everything' were. Your first week will be the hardest, but in terms of weightloss the best! Then you are hooked (with good reason!). Come here often for great support! It really is such a great place, and this diet is so awesome. When you get time search Wuv on here- Or the maintainers thread is so inspiring!!!! Its full of so many success stories- a lot in just their signatures! it's amazing!
~My

Charbarot
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome!!! You will do awesome. I too was skeptical. Many of us that have tried 'everything' were. Your first week will be the hardest, but in terms of weightloss the best! Then you are hooked (with good reason!). Come here often for great support! It really is such a great place, and this diet is so awesome. When you get time search Wuv on here- Or the maintainers thread is so inspiring!!!! Its full of so many success stories- a lot in just their signatures! it's amazing!
~My

Thank you My....I will

jeffiner
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Im glad to hear about the spinach. I throw it in everything!

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Yes - they are actual Ideal Protein products.

One egg is about equivalent to 2oz meat protein. So two eggs would be 4oz.

That said, if you're still super hungry at dinnertime, you can get away with having 6oz of meat instead of 4. Better to deal with the hunger by eating protein than anything else!

I would be very interested to see if this is a true Ideal Protein change or a coach's decision. If anyone happens to get a phase 1 sheet that is dated after June 2012 please scan it and upload it to the Newbie's thread so we can all be up on the changes!

IPdivajen
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
On the spinach thing, my coach, who is a huge stickler for IP rules, says spinach can be unlimited like lettuce and we're to have it at will. I used to measure what I would put in with my shakes as part of my 4c and she told me not to.

lisa32989
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I would be very interested to see if this is a true Ideal Protein change or a coach's decision. If anyone happens to get a phase 1 sheet that is dated after June 2012 please scan it and upload it to the Newbie's thread so we can all be up on the changes!
My coach is gone this week AND next. I can check after that.

Tziri
02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
I'll be going into my WI tomorrow and my coach/clinic stays pretty updated on everything, so I will see what she says (and if there is a new sheet).

I just made up some tuna patties (trying something new) and they smell sooooooo good. Can't wait to see if they actually taste good too!

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
I'll be going into my WI tomorrow and my coach/clinic stays pretty update on everything, so I will see what she says (and if there is a new sheet).

I just made up some tuna patties (trying something new) and they smell sooooooo good. Can't wait to see if they actually taste good too!

I love tuna patties! I do them with an egg white, some finely chopped celery, a tsp of French's Dijon mustard w/chardonnay (it's 0/0/0 in that portion). and some coriander or basil. Sometimes I'll drizzle a little WF ranch dressing on the plate before I put the patties down, gives them a little extra flavor.

mrsstunner
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
My first day is almost over and goodness that sucked bad. 3pm hit and it was all I could do not to start chomping away at my arm. Someone said today though (forgive I can't remember which one of you) that if I'm hungry but I can't make myself eat another salad...I'm not really hungry and its my mind/body trying to trick me. That helped alot. Even right now I feel like I'm hungry but my tummy is full???

I need to ask some ?s though for anyone who can answer...

Mio is ok how often?
Sugar free syrups are ok how often?
And I know I had a bazillion things I thought of to ask throughout the day but now I've forgotten. Is there a certain place where newbies like me can ask all our silly questions or is this the place?

Thanks everyone in advance.

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
My first day is almost over and goodness that sucked bad. 3pm hit and it was all I could do not to start chomping away at my arm. Someone said today though (forgive I can't remember which one of you) that if I'm hungry but I can't make myself eat another salad...I'm not really hungry and its my mind/body trying to trick me. That helped alot. Even right now I feel like I'm hungry but my tummy is full???

Mio is ok how often?
Sugar free syrups are ok how often?
And I know I had a bazillion things I thought of to ask throughout the day but now I've forgotten. Is there a certain place where newbies like me can ask all our silly questions or is this the place?

There are no silly questions :) The daily is where you are going to get the best responses, even if it's just direction to a thread where your questions are already answered!

Re: Mio, Sugar free products, Walden Farms, etc.

ALL "sugar free" products that list 0 carbs actually have trace carbs. FDA allows manufacturers to say zero carbs if it's less than 1. So with that in mind, I limit ALL extras to 6 servings per day. That way I never have to worry how much those "trace" carbs have added up - I can never go over 6 extra carbs.

Tziri
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I love tuna patties! I do them with an egg white, some finely chopped celery, a tsp of French's Dijon mustard w/chardonnay (it's 0/0/0 in that portion). and some coriander or basil. Sometimes I'll drizzle a little WF ranch dressing on the plate before I put the patties down, gives them a little extra flavor.

I have never tried them before but I was hungry for fish tonight.
I did mine a little differently but the chardonnay and celery are a really great ideas (next time!). I used an egg, potato puree packet, lemon juice, dijon, tobasco, chives, salt and pepper.
Soooooooooooo good!! I think this has become one of my new favorite dinners.

bubbleblower
02-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Now *THAT* is funny! Thanks for the bedtime chuckle!! (I'm sure I would have done a double-take, too, if I saw that on my scale. :lol: )

lisa32989
02-21-2013, 10:35 PM

Is there a certain place where newbies like me can ask all our silly questions or is this the place?

Keep on asking them right here! There aren't silly questions (well, there probably are, but you aren't asking them ;) ). We were all new once.
Sorry your brain is playing the Jedi mind (hunger) tricks. We learn very quickly to distinguish between "head" hunger and true hunger. Lettuce will take the edge off if I'm truly hungry. If I don't want lettuce, then I have a craving...Jedi mind trick.

mrsstunner
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
There are no silly questions :) The daily is where you are going to get the best responses, even if it's just direction to a thread where your questions are already answered!

Re: Mio, Sugar free products, Walden Farms, etc.

ALL "sugar free" products that list 0 carbs actually have trace carbs. FDA allows manufacturers to say zero carbs if it's less than 1. So with that in mind, I limit ALL extras to 6 servings per day. That way I never have to worry how much those "trace" carbs have added up - I can never go over 6 extra carbs.

Oh thank you, thank you for your help! That should be easy to remember.

I don't mind reading so redirection to other threads would be awesome too. I'm still learning how to maneuver around the forum. Thanks again for all your help. I'm glad you guys are so encouraging and helpful :hug:

Keep on asking them right here! There aren't silly questions (well, there probably are, but you aren't asking them ;) ). We were all new once.
Sorry your brain is playing the Jedi mind (hunger) tricks. We learn very quickly to distinguish between "head" hunger and true hunger. Lettuce will take the edge off if I'm truly hungry. If I don't want lettuce, then I have a craving...Jedi mind trick.

:devil: Ebil Jedi Mind tricks :devil: Yea, lettuce was not what I wanted. I had to watch my kiddos gobble down cupcakes and OMG that was hard. My small nap helped alot though.

mrsstunner
02-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Okay I have more questions that I remembered from earlier...

1. Someone mentioned bouillon cubes? These are permitted? Also canned broth?

2. EggBeaters are ok? If so, how do I measure an egg or egg white?

3. Can I substitute my 1oz skim milk for 1oz of some kind of cheese?

lisa32989
02-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Okay I have more questions that I remembered from earlier...

1. Someone mentioned bouillon cubes? These are permitted? Also canned broth?

2. EggBeaters are ok? If so, how do I measure an egg or egg white?

3. Can I substitute my 1oz skim milk for 1oz of some kind of cheese?

1. yes. as long as they are 0/0/0 (fat/sugar/carbs). They also help with added sodium, which is MUCH needed during the transition into Ketosis. You don't feel so sick if you increase sodium.
2. You can use up to 2 plain egg whites/day. I just looked up the ingredients/nutritional info of Egg Beaters. I don't see anything that says you can't have them but right next to them on the shelf, you should find a carton of plain egg whites. They'd be a LOT less processed. Just look at the difference in ingredients on the labels.
3. not if you want to be 100% on plan.

mrsstunner
02-22-2013, 12:45 AM
1. yes. as long as they are 0/0/0 (fat/sugar/carbs). They also help with added sodium, which is MUCH needed during the transition into Ketosis. You don't feel so sick if you increase sodium.
2. You can use up to 2 plain egg whites/day. I just looked up the ingredients/nutritional info of Egg Beaters. I don't see anything that says you can't have them but right next to them on the shelf, you should find a carton of plain egg whites. They'd be a LOT less processed. Just look at the difference in ingredients on the labels.
3. not if you want to be 100% on plan.

You're awesome! Thanks so much.
I dunno why I thought EggBeaters would be okay. I should have asked before I bought them. And WHY didn't I see the plain egg white right next to them. :dizzy: