Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #1  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Any recommended supplemental items (e.g. biotin)

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and start IP protocol. I actually will be starting in a couple weeks, after an upcoming vacation.

After reading so many threads, I vaguely recall seeing references to items that would help with some of the (potential) side-effects of IP, such as Biotin for helping with hair loss.

Are there any other recommendations for supplemental products that may be useful or necessary?

Thanks!

ETA: When I say supplemental products, I mean anything, not just vitamin/mineral supplements

Last edited by rubygirl05; 02-21-2013 at 12:41 AM.
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #2  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I take Biotin and Omega 3 (I was taking omega 3 before anyway)
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Outside of the IP multivitamin, the Cal-mag and the Potassium-calcium, I added Biotin and an Omega 3-6-9 that I got at Wal Mart.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Many people here recommend biotin (and have said it's working for them) however IP literature actually recommends Omega 3 and Antioxy (that worked for me - and was working before the threads started on biotin). Thought I would note that.

You usually get enough Omega 6-9 when eating on IP due to all the additional veggies you are getting (well, I ate more veggies once I started, still eating the same) so an Omega 3 might be all that you need.

I still take the Omega 3 and did add in a probiotic. Huge fan of the probiotic and will ALWAYS take that.

Good luck! This is a great forum full of TONS of support.

Last edited by Ishbel; 02-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #5  
Started IP 12-26-2012

I take Omega 3 (always have) and I just started taking biotin. I have hair loss to start with because of other health issues, so the thought of losing MORE is terrifying me! I hope it works.

I also take a B-complex, D3 and extra B-12, but that's to make up for other meds I take that deplete them.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #6  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post

I still take the Omega 3 and did add in a probiotic. Huge fan of the probiotic and will ALWAYS take that.

Good luck! This is a great forum full of TONS of support.
What are the benefits, do you feel, of probiotic?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: H253/219/177.4/150

Height: 5'4

I am taking biotin and a probiotic for candida.
bellasamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
What are the benefits, do you feel, of probiotic?
I think it takes a while for it to take effect, I was taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon because I couldn't find the balance between the big D and the big C lol So I started it to help with digestion...while on Phase 1.

NOW, I take it because I've been on Zithromax twice recently for sinus infections and did not need to take anything extra after the sinus infection (due to taking a bulldozer of an antibodic). No candida issues at all. There was a thread on here where people with more knowledge about it posted. I just know that if taking that everyday keeps other stuff away (I have chronic issues with sinuses) then I'll keep taking it. I googled the benefits and thought "wow cool, it does that too?!"

For anyone wishing to comment on my sinus issues (yes I use a netipot yes I do many things to help me (including visiting an ENT multiple times), I just have one of those noses.

Last edited by Ishbel; 02-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

Height: 5'3"

I posted about this yesterday but didnt get many replies...

What about CLA and L-Carnitine? I have a supplement from GNC called Thermo CLA that is CLA, L-Carnitine and Caffeine...(about 100MG Caffeine per serving)

Is this ok to take? Has anyone found any benefits from CLA or L-Carnitine?

Is that much Caffeine ok???
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #10  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
I posted about this yesterday but didnt get many replies...

What about CLA and L-Carnitine? I have a supplement from GNC called Thermo CLA that is CLA, L-Carnitine and Caffeine...(about 100MG Caffeine per serving)

Is this ok to take? Has anyone found any benefits from CLA or L-Carnitine?

Is that much Caffeine ok???
I was told by my coach at the beginning NO STIMULANTS. I lost weight using ephedra an eon ago, and had put that on my medical info sheet. He said NO NO NO stimulants, and since we are supposed to limit caffeine intake anyway, I'm sure it's not a good thing on the diet.

Also, you don't really need thermogenics on this diet because you are in ketosis. You do not want to up your heart rate! If an average female loses 3-5 lbs/week on IP, it sooo wouldn't be healthy to rev your body up like that. I know what ephedra did to my heart rate. I won't touch any pill with any caffeine, in any form, now knowing the damage I could have done.

Last edited by leannekarella; 02-21-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #11  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
I think it takes a while for it to take effect, I was taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon because I couldn't find the balance between the big D and the big C lol So I started it to help with digestion...while on Phase 1.

NOW, I take it because I've been on Zithromax twice recently for sinus infections and did not need to take anything extra after the sinus infection (due to taking a bulldozer of an antibodic). No candida issues at all. There was a thread on here where people with more knowledge about it posted. I just know that if taking that everyday keeps other stuff away (I have chronic issues with sinuses) then I'll keep taking it. I googled the benefits and thought "wow cool, it does that too?!"

For anyone wishing to comment on my sinus issues (yes I use a netipot yes I do many things to help me (including visiting an ENT multiple times), I just have one of those noses.
Help with sinus issues. You may have just sold me on it! lol. I've had sinus issues for a very long time. Thanks for the reply! I will do some research. Is there any particular kind (brand, dose) you use?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Help with sinus issues. You may have just sold me on it! lol. I've had sinus issues for a very long time. Thanks for the reply! I will do some research. Is there any particular kind (brand, dose) you use?
If your asking about probiotics for sinus issues...I'm not sure lol, I have sinus issues that require antibodics and the probiotics help keep the candida down when I have to take the antibodics for the sinus issues (make sense?). There are numerous brands, I don't really toot a specific brand...just usually get one that isn't shelf stable (I keep it in the fridge).

I'm hoping someone else chimes in as I'm not a knowledgeable person on this subject I just take them cause they work for me, I know there are other benefits but I have not done a lot of research into it.

Sorry!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #13  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
If your asking about probiotics for sinus issues...I'm not sure lol, I have sinus issues that require antibodics and the probiotics help keep the candida down when I have to take the antibodics for the sinus issues (make sense?). There are numerous brands, I don't really toot a specific brand...just usually get one that isn't shelf stable (I keep it in the fridge).

I'm hoping someone else chimes in as I'm not a knowledgeable person on this subject I just take them cause they work for me, I know there are other benefits but I have not done a lot of research into it.

Sorry!
Gotcha! thanks