Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/210/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Just told someone I started IP....

Hey All!!

I'm new to IP and the forum! I just started on Sunday and so far so good! (Although I practically ran out of the grocery store today when I caught a whiff of whatever the bakery was cooking....just too much temptation!!)

Anyway I casually mentioned starting IP to someone who is also trying (though unsuccessfully) to lose weight and she immediately starting telling me all the reasons why it was a terrible idea and how all I need to do is eat healthy and in moderation. I was a little annoyed..... She was telling me all the things shes does and how that was better. She was also suggesting things that don't work for me....shes a stay at home mom and has a family to feed as well as herself......while I on the other hand work a lot and travel for work often and so does my husband (who I see for 3-4 days every 2 weeks) so I basically have to take care of my self and don't have a whole lot of time to do it)...... Anyway I thought it was a little odd since it was a support group and she wasn't being all that supportive!! (I am my no means saying her ideas wouldn't work but I spent the last 10 years doing that with little movement on the scale) With some of my issues (which I'll mention below) I feel like I need to take action and quick!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had someone berate you when they find out you are on IP.

Finally (sorry this is getting a little long!) just thought I would share a little info about myself since I am new!! I have been overweight my entire life. I also have hypothyroidism and PCOS which are the bane of my existence since my husband and I have been trying to start a family with no success for the last 3 years (with IVF looming on the horizon I NEED to lose a minimum of 45lbs. or they won't do IVF!). Although I have not gained any weight for the last 5 years I also have not lost any. In January my doctors office told me about IP and after a month of research decided this was my opportunity to turn my life around! I have never felt this good starting a "diet" and I am certain with every week I am on IP there will be a little less of me!

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone with your own journey!!
ktgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #2  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

I tend to not share with many people that I'm on IP. Not because I'm embarrassed or anything like that. In fact I usually don't even tell people that I'm trying to lose weight. When/if I receive compliments on weight loss, I like to know they are unsolicited or that a friend doesn't feel obligated to comment. If people notice (my weight loss) and ask me what I'm doing, I'm vague and just say that I'm eating low carb, low fat, healthy protein meals. If I get confronted by someone who I really, really sincerely think wants to know how I'm losing the weight, I'll share info about IP. I just don't share with anyone who asks, since most people are just making conversation or being nosey! Hope this helps.

BTW - Welcome! I'm pretty sure there have been people here on this site that have had more success with fertility issues since being on/doing the IP program. Good Luck!

There will definately be less of you each week, while you're on IP. It really is a great program and the IPeeps on this site are so wonderful and supportive. Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #3  

So, in December, when I showed up at my doctor's office 45 lbs lighter than he'd seen me in June, all he could say to me was: You didn't need to buy packets to do this. You could have done it with real food.

ahem. Really?

I looked straight at him and said back "Yep, that was working great for me, wasn't it? I got to 260"

He shut up after that. I preferred him speechless than jerky.

Now I've lost 65 and he can Kiss my ever-shrinking ....

I developed hypothyroid while ON IP. I have since cut out soy and gluten because they are notoriously hard on thyroid.

I didn't tell people about IP when I started. I just didn't trust myself to stick to it. Now when people tell me how great I look and say "Keep it up," I almost feel like they really don't know what to say so they say that. People who haven't lost a significant amount of weight have NO IDEA the amount of dedication that it takes. I certainly don't need advice from anyone...well meaning or not. If I want advice, I ask for it here. From the people who understand.

Welcome & glad you joined us!

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-20-2013 at 11:01 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #4  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

Hey there,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get the support you need here.

I feel like talking to people about dieting is almost like talking to someone about religion or politics. Every has their own theory on life and the way it should be lived, and the best thing to do is just wish them the best of luck and let them know this is the BEST decision for you right now, which is clearly all that matters.

As a previous medical student, I can tell you that IP approach is not only safe, but ketogenic protocol has been around since the 1800s. It was first discovered and utilized in an attempt to cure Crohn's disease in children and found it was not only effective in adults, but also alleviated symptoms in patients who siffered from Celiac's and Asperger's syndromes.

Ketogenic was later found to be successful for bariatric surgery patients who needed to lose at least 10% of their body weight before surgery could be performed and quickly. From there, different versions have come out since the 70s and 80s, like Atkins.

The point being is that IP is a fool proof approach to not only put you into a state of ketosis, but keep you there until you hit your goal weight. Because it is not only safe but effective, many doctors use this program because it's based on science, not a fad or trend.

That being said, it's not for everyone, there needs to be a baseline of health established which is why you work with a coach. But, those who stick to it will see results based on the law of ketosis.

Let your results do the talking for you. For now, perhaps just let people know you're doing your own thing with a health coach and are happy with where you're at. There's no such thing as a one size fits all approach so take that person's opinion with a grain of salt and focus on your success with IP.

Last edited by SFNinerGirl; 02-20-2013 at 11:00 PM.
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #5  
IP start date 2/4/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
So, in December, when I showed up at my doctor's office 45 lbs lighter than he'd seen me in June, all he could say to me was: You didn't need to buy packets to do this. You could have done it with real food.

ahem. Really?

I looked straight at him and said back "Yep, that was working great for me, wasn't it? I got to 260"

He shut up after that. I preferred him speechless than jerky.

Now I've lost 65 and he can Kiss my ever-shrinking ....

I developed hypothyroid while ON IP. I have since cut out soy and gluten because they are notoriously hard on thyroid.

Welcome & glad you joined us!
LOL awesome comeback. Putting that into the quick wit log...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #6  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I have had good comments about it, not one has said it didn't sound healthy... oh wait people were concerned when I told them but it's monitored at a doctor's office it shut them up!

lol, now I feel like I preach about it all the time, mostly because I get such great comments.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #7  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know I also have hypothyroidism and started this diet when my thyroid levels were at a 9 (supposed to be around 0.5-1.5 according to my dr). I still lost a lot of weight my first few weeks! I would always stall on "healthy eating diets" because of my crazy thyroid! Kind of off-topic, but I was so excited to actually lose weight at the beginning even though my thyroid was off.

I've only told family and one friend (we've been friends for 20 years) about being on IP. Also not because I'm embarrassed, but because I feel like my weight-loss is pretty personal and I hate all the nosy questions and concerns that come along with it. However, if someone who is also trying to lose weight asks about my weight-loss then I tell them. I'll probably be a little more open about it once I'm at my goal.

Oh yeah and

Last edited by Tziri; 02-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

The truth is, people fear what they don't understand. And IP is different from a lot of conventional diets out there - so folks don't *get* why the science behind IP works and just compare it to what they do know. If I hadn't done a lot of reading into ketogenic diets and how IP is structured, I may never have tried it for the same reasons. And yes, other methods of dieting definitely WORK (any diet that creates a calorie deficit is going to make you lose weight) - but not EVERY program is best for EVERY person.

At the end of the day, the only person whose opinion of the program matters is YOU. You are the one who has to do it. When I ran into people who commented that I should be doing things differently, my response was "I really appreciate your concern - but I have actually researched this and feel very comfortable with the plan. If you want more information about how it works I'll be happy to tell you more about it".

Or you can give Lisa's response I like hers too
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #9  
IP start date 2/4/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tziri View Post
Hey,
Just wanted to let you know I also have hypothyroidism and started this diet when my thyroid levels were at a 9 (supposed to be around 0.5-1.5 according to my dr). I still lost a lot of weight my first few weeks! I would always stall on "healthy eating diets" because of my crazy thyroid! Kind of off-topic, but I was so excited to actually lose weight at the beginning even though my thyroid was off.

I've only told family and one friend (we've been friends for 20 years) about being on IP. Also not because I'm embarrassed, but because I feel like my weight-loss is pretty personal and I hate all the nosy questions and concerns that come along with it. However, if someone who is also trying to lose weight asks about my weight-loss then I tell them. I'll probably be a little more open about it once I'm at my goal.

Oh yeah and
Wow, great progress so far. I'm interested in hearing about your journey so far and how you've created so much success from week to week.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

You will get every conceivable response.
I encourage people who are interested. I point out to the naysayers that I lost the weight and have kept it off for 2 years.

In general I agree that people lose weight in many way. But my personal experience was that Many many hours of exercise and counting points got me nowhere. With ip I found success.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Most people I have told have been positive. My doctor hugged me and the nutritionist I was working with when I started to do pre-op for GB was happy for me as well.

I told someone today, besides the WI, I have been going round and round with a crazy cat lady about adopting a cat, and this RN knew about the cat issues. (Long story) Right away this young thin person said it was a bunch of crap. I told her I lost 48lbs so far and she replied, "Well I guess it isn't a bunch of crap. WOW."

Actually, it truly isn't a bunch of crap these days.

If you are happy and it's working for you, forget everyone else.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #12  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
Wow, great progress so far. I'm interested in hearing about your journey so far and how you've created so much success from week to week.
Thanks! My success is simply due to staying 100% OP. I have not cheated once and I have no desire to. I love IP though; it has truly changed my life (like many others on here). I'm even going back to school this Fall and going into a career that will keep me active and outdoors the rest of my life (since I will finally be fit)!
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #13  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

I had someone give me an entire speech about how bad it was. How all I needed to do was follow what she did which was to eat 'whole foods' and we would lose together. She has quite a bit to lose herself. I lost 10 pounds that week and she ate an entire box of cookies.

Its really about being dedicated and stick with what works for you. I tell people I'm on Ideal Protein and its Medically Supervised. They have nothing to say after that but positive things. I told my Gyn the other day and she knew it and was thrilled for me.

Sounds like you got a real opinionated know it all who knew nothing.
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you need a meaner face like mine. People must be too scared that I am going to stab them--no one has dared tell me there was something wrong with this plan.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum!

The only people that know that I am on the diet are my husband and one girlfriend. That's it.

Having been overweight my entire adult life and having tried almost every diet out there with limited or no success, it was difficult for me to even try another diet.

It was at Christmas I met up with my sister-in-law who I had not seen for months. She has been doing IP and has lost close to 80lb - also without telling anyone. OMG she looked awesome, she explained about IP and I decided that I was worth it and started IP I am sooo glad that I have.

I am losing weight and I feel really good, makes it easier to stay OP
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote