Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Wednesday 2/20/2013

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Wednesday 2/20/2013

lisa32989
02-20-2013, 05:50 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

Glover girl
02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Good morning, glad everyone is carrying on. I just got rid of a houseful of company, and am now washing every towel in my house. Seriously people, ever heard of reusing a towel? :) anyway we had fun and I didn't find it difficult to stay on plan. Now I am busily planning my food to take to Arizona. I've got ready to drink shakes,wf packets, cinnamon cereal for portability. Have a great ip day!

bubbleblower
02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Good morning! I'm getting ready to head out on the dive boat to shoot some photos and some lion fish. (One dive for photos; one to clean up the reefs.) I just had my IP Cappucinno and have an IP Peanut Crunch bar and an EAS shake packed for after each dive. I might hold the shake until after lunch as I'm finding it easier to maintain energy while diving these days than I did when I first started IP. My theory is that my body has gotten more used to its ketogenic state and burning fat instead of relying on carbs for energy. That seems to jibe with what I've been reading.

Gotta run! Back later on ...

star19600
02-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Good morning! I'm hoping the stomach bug that caught me yesterday is over, just had my IP omelet so I guess we'll see! I did drop another 2 pounds on WI day (4 total) that I'm sure the issues from yesterday helped along - next week's WI won't be as good I'm sure.

I get to go to the office today to meet with my coach - at 6 weeks, if you have a loss each of those weeks you get a $50 credit towards food, and they do measurements again. I'm excited to see what the measurements are. Other than that, I'm about ready to start using alternative products in order to keep the plan affordable.

Have a great day, all!

LizRR
02-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Finished my morning Bodypump and 2-mile warmup jog..enjoying my egg white sandwich! Running a little late!

IP43
02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Good morning! I'm hoping the stomach bug that caught me yesterday is over, just had my IP omelet so I guess we'll see! I did drop another 2 pounds on WI day (4 total) that I'm sure the issues from yesterday helped along - next week's WI won't be as good I'm sure.

I get to go to the office today to meet with my coach - at 6 weeks, if you have a loss each of those weeks you get a $50 credit towards food, and they do measurements again. I'm excited to see what the measurements are. Other than that, I'm about ready to start using alternative products in order to keep the plan affordable.

Have a great day, all!

The credit sounds like a really great thing! My coach weighs me and measures me weekly - just thought that was the norm. I may suggest to her the $50 idea ;) She DOES give a $5 credit if we place food order ahead of time, which I think is a nice idea too. Saves us all time and helps her order I'm sure.

have a good one all

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM
First WI today: -10.5!!! I couldn't believe it. I had to run the numbers on a calculator, because I thought I had to be doing the math wrong. Wow!

It makes all the headaches and hunger the first few days seem like a bargain!

Have a great day, all! :carrot:

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 09:07 AM
First WI today: -10.5!!! I couldn't believe it. I had to run the numbers on a calculator, because I thought I had to be doing the math wrong. Wow!

Awesome job! :carrot:
I have my first WI tonight..fingers crossed

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks, motherofthegroom! Good luck at your WI later . . . I bet you'll do as well! :crossed: Go get 'em!!

MyTime50
02-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Woohoo!! :carrot::carrot::carrot::bravo:
Great job SylviesGirl!
Keep up the great work! You have made it over the hump!! You can do this!!!

jeffiner
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Does spinach count as lettuce...i love the baby spinach in a bag and always add it to my othere veggies(cucs, peppers etc)...

evepet
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Does spinach count as lettuce...i love the baby spinach in a bag and always add it to my othere veggies(cucs, peppers etc)...

Spinach counts as part of your total 4 cups/day veggies.

Cheekyskeeter
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Great job SylviesGirl!!! That's awesome.

tyrone777
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
:carrot:Good Morning! I just joined 3 Chicks and am re-starting phase 1 of the Ideal protein diet...I'm so excited to have others that are taking on the same challenge!!

scorbett1103
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Awesome weigh in!!! Way to kick off your weight loss!

No it does not - if you look at your Phase 1 sheet, Spinach is listed in the "Selected veggies" that must be measured and counted in your 4 cups of veggies per day.

The reasoning is that even though it is low in calories, it causes an acidic reaction in the digestive system. That works AGAINST the anti-inflammatory nature of IP if you have it in quantities outside of what is allowed. Follow your sheet :)

Ojenchilada
02-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I get to go to the office today to meet with my coach - at 6 weeks, if you have a loss each of those weeks you get a $50 credit towards food, and they do measurements again.

:-/ Harumph. How come I don't get deals or measured? In all seriousness, though, congrats on your progress!

Yay!

:carrot:Good Morning! I just joined 3 Chicks and am re-starting phase 1 of the Ideal protein diet...I'm so excited to have others that are taking on the same challenge!!

Welcome. You're going to love this place!

meinvt
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Scorbett, I love your posts. Is there anything you don't know about this program? I can't seem to find anything on here about MiO - the drink flavoring. What's your opinion. I'm serious about being 100% and don't want little things undermining my success. :comp:

IPdivajen
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Congrats!! Awesome first weigh in!! :)

IPdivajen
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
So hit the 135lbs gone mark last night. Insane. Sadly the past three weeks have been insanely slow for losses - I'm talking 4 total pounds in three weeks - so we're shaking things up a bit. Sticking with the lowest carb packets, lowest carb veggies and only doing half a restricted each day. Gulp. Fingers crossed this works!!!

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
My fingers are crossed for you, divajen! I can only imagine how frustrating! Big congrats on hanging on through it!

I was wondering the same thing about the spinach and figured there was some reason, but I never imagined that would be the reason. I am continuously amazed and thankful at how well thought through this plan seems to be.

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Scorbett -- So, along the lines of the spinach concept, do I need to watch or limit my vinegar intake? I like to put apple cider vinegar on my raw veggies, so I don't use as much salt . . . Thanks.

ragdoll74
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
So hit the 135lbs gone mark last night. Insane. Sadly the past three weeks have been insanely slow for losses - I'm talking 4 total pounds in three weeks - so we're shaking things up a bit. Sticking with the lowest carb packets, lowest carb veggies and only doing half a restricted each day. Gulp. Fingers crossed this works!!!

:bravo:

I was amazed at your first few weeks back on plan were all really nice losses. Your body is probably just adjusting from that. Plus you are getting closer to goal and it does slow down.

mrskuby
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey everybody! Great WI's so far today! Good luck to those wieghing in later!

I actually don't WI until tomorrow but I am a daily weigher and I'm bummed that my weight has been up since Monday morning. I know TOM is prolly the cause but over the past 2-3 months, it hasn't actually made me gain! As a matter of fact I continued to lose! I keep telling myself that I am 100% OP so there is no way it is actually anything other than water. It's just that in the past I'd gain overnight from TOM and then it would take a couple of weeks to get it off again. Then of course a couple of weeks after that, it would be TOM again! It was a vicious cycle and I really hope it's not starting again!
Okay, enough venting! LOL...I'll just stay OP and it will all work out! It has been working so far!!

ladylunk
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
IPDivajen Good luck with your shake up this week. Wow 135lbs gone is amazing. Love your before and after couple pics.

Catching up on IP reading and taking it easy again today. Bad headache, but at least not so dizzy. Must be a bug or coming from my sore neck??? Tylenol is okay I hope as I have been having to take that.

Have some moose stew cooking in the crock pot so dinner is taken care of. Ever since Scorbett talked about her stew I think it was last week, I have been waiting to make one. I am excited and a still a little apprehensive about the onions I put in it, but I read up on everything Scorbett provided about the scientific reactions for onions. They are probably my favorite vegetable, although things are kind of changing on that front as roasted cauliflower is my fav right now. And as me and my sister say onions are the flavour base of almost every dish (for her boyfriend who doesn't like onions). Anyway hoping it is good. Also added celery, rutabaga, cabbage, and garlic. Okay that was a long ramble. Have a good day everyone!

evepet
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

You're doing great overall though IPdivajen. Such an accomplishment overall, and your perseverance in coming back to 'get'er done' is inspiring. I'm crossing my fingers too, that your 'shake up strategy' produces a whoosh next week.

Great Dane
02-20-2013, 12:19 PM
We all complain about losing weight from our boobs first right? (well maybe not all of us). I used to be a 38A, hate padded, push up and lacey, don't shop at Victoria's Secret and mostly find my bras at Walmart or Target. (though my BFF says I should treat myself to a good bra sometime...). Anyway, for years and years I've been searching for a selection of A cup bras at the stores and was always disgusted that there were zero to none to choose from. Until yesterday. I can now fit in a 34 A (well kind of, I have trouble filling an A). I happen to take a shortcut through the kids department at WalMart and out of the corner of my eye realized I'd passed the "training bra" department. THE RACK WAS FILLED WITH "A" CUPS!!!! (and disgustingly enough, padded and push up bras for tweens....) When I have more time I'm going back and treating myself to some new bras!!!!

lumielumes
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Weigh in Wed!! Down 2.4! Very happy with IP! I have no gravings, not hungry, and feel good. Thanks everyone for the great support here.

mrskuby
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
We all complain about losing weight from our boobs first right? (well maybe not all of us). I used to be a 38A, hate padded, push up and lacey, don't shop at Victoria's Secret and mostly find my bras at Walmart or Target. (though my BFF says I should treat myself to a good bra sometime...). Anyway, for years and years I've been searching for a selection of A cup bras at the stores and was always disgusted that there were zero to none to choose from. Until yesterday. I can now fit in a 34 A (well kind of, I have trouble filling an A). I happen to take a shortcut through the kids department at WalMart and out of the corner of my eye realized I'd passed the "training bra" department. THE RACK WAS FILLED WITH "A" CUPS!!!! (and disgustingly enough, padded and push up bras for tweens....) When I have more time I'm going back and treating myself to some new bras!!!!

Haha! i thought I was the only one in the world that was a 38A! FYI, Victorias Secret doesn't carry that size! I agree that it is nearly impossible to find 38A anywhere! I've been buying 36A and using bra extenders (they still don't fit quite right!) but i can't wait for the day i can just wear the darn things without an adapter!!

leannekarella
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
So, this morning was the first time I've seen my family doc since starting IP.

I'm diabetic, with a hole in my heart, have water retention issues (because of the hole) and have PCOS.

She's thrilled with the weight loss, but I gave her a copy of a couple of days of my MFP logs, and she's VERY concerned about the sodium intake. And I'm only eating the lower sodium foods as it is and NEVER add the extra salt as we're supposed to...but I average around 2000mg a day. Before starting IP I had less than 500 a day.

She also said that because of the diabetes, I must have more fiber in my diet. Eat more veggies. I told her about the 4 cup limit plus lettuce, and she shook her head and said I should be having at least 30mg of fiber a day...and not listen to that part of the diet. I looked back at MFP logs, and usually it's between 14-17, nowhere near 30!

I'm a little torn here, as to who to listen to. I might up my veggies by a cup or two at most and see what happens to the weight loss. In 2 months, I've averaged 2.87lb/week. I really don't want that to slow. Not yet! Still too far to go. I already eat a huge lettuce salad at least once a day, and make "salad" soup with romaine.

On the great UPSIDE, my A1C is better than it has EVER been since my diabetes diagnosis 8 years ago. I'm actually in the "normal" range.

As of this morning, I'm officially lighter than I've been in a decade :D

bubbleblower
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Scorbett -- So, along the lines of the spinach concept, do I need to watch or limit my vinegar intake? I like to put apple cider vinegar on my raw veggies, so I don't use as much salt . . . Thanks.

Not a direct answer to your question, but the part about limiting your salt caught my attention. Unless you have high blood pressure or another medical issue for which you would have to limit your salt intake, you really don't want to be limiting your salt on a low carb diet. Low carb diets increase the loss of sodium and water by the kidneys. If you don't replace it adequately you can feel fatigued and lose lean mass.

bubbleblower
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

I'm diabetic, with a hole in my heart, have water retention issues (because of the hole) and have PCOS.

She's thrilled with the weight loss, but I gave her a copy of a couple of days of my MFP logs, and she's VERY concerned about the sodium intake. And I'm only eating the lower sodium foods as it is and NEVER add the extra salt as we're supposed to...but I average around 2000mg a day. Before starting IP I had less than 500 a day.

She also said that because of the diabetes, I must have more fiber in my diet. Eat more veggies. I told her about the 4 cup limit plus lettuce, and she shook her head and said I should be having at least 30mg of fiber a day...and not listen to that part of the diet. I looked back at MFP logs, and usually it's between 14-17, nowhere near 30!

I'm a little torn here, as to who to listen to. I might up my veggies by a cup or two at most and see what happens to the weight loss. In 2 months, I've averaged 2.87lb/week. I really don't want that to slow. Not yet! Still too far to go. I already eat a huge lettuce salad at least once a day, and make "salad" soup with romaine.

On the great UPSIDE, my A1C is better than it has EVER been since my diabetes diagnosis 8 years ago. I'm actually in the "normal" range.

Is your BP normal? Do you know how much your GP actually knows about nutrition? I've found that many don't know all that much ... As I alluded to above, the way your body handles sodium on a high carb diet is much different than how it handles it once you start cutting the carbs.

BTW, I also had a hole (several, actually ...) in my atrial wall but had it fixed four years ago. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Before that I felt like a walking time bomb, at risk of a stroke at an early age at any moment. Not something I really wanted looming over me!

jeffiner
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Just back from WI..I've now officially lost 25 lbs!!

Thats a bummer about the spinach, Ive only been adding it to raw salads which I dont eat that often..but I wont do that again.

Wow..I hada hundred pounds to lose...now I can say that I have 75... Im so glad I found IP and you guys!

leannekarella
02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Is your BP normal? Do you know how much your GP actually knows about nutrition? I've found that many don't know all that much ... As I alluded to above, the way your body handles sodium on a high carb diet is much different than how it handles it once you start cutting the carbs.

BTW, I also had a hole (several, actually ...) in my atrial wall but had it fixed four years ago. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Before that I felt like a walking time bomb, at risk of a stroke at an early age at any moment. Not something I really wanted looming over me!

My GP specializes in diabetes and high BP. She's wonderful and very knowledgeable. She also believes in alternative meds. I couldn't have found a better doctor in that way.

My BP is a bit high with the higher salt intake. Not dangerously high, but I take 2 different diuretics that keep it normalized. My BP today was 139/93 and I'm usually right at or slightly below 120/80.

The surgeon won't fix my hole until I get down to 250 lbs, because of the possible complications because of diabetes. (The reason I started IP to begin with) With luck, I'll be "fixed up" by Christmas this year! I have to have open-heart surgery because they tried fixing it with the catheter patch, and because of its position, the patch kept slipping out of position. It's the atrial septal defect...between the right and left side of the heart. I have breathing issues because of the backflow of blood from left to right (which is the WRONG way)...and yes, possibility of stroke if I should even get the tiniest clot.

star19600
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
The credit sounds like a really great thing! My coach weighs me and measures me weekly - just thought that was the norm. I may suggest to her the $50 idea ;) She DOES give a $5 credit if we place food order ahead of time, which I think is a nice idea too. Saves us all time and helps her order I'm sure.

have a good one all

I just used my $50 credit:-) its actually a reimbursement of the dr fee they charge at the beginning.

Also they took measurement and I'm down 9.75 inches- 5.5 from my waist alone! Only 6 weeks in.

BrittStar027
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
So yesterday i weighed in and i've officially lost just under 13 lbs. Feeling pretty good, however, got sent home from work for being a walking germ ball. Feel really disgusting (nasty head cold, body aches and weakness). REALLY hoping my weight loss continues and i don't stall again. Trying to force a ton of water and herbal tea in hopes it keeps all inflammation down and my hydration up. Fingers are crossed!

Dinie89
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
WI tonight - never done an after dinner WI thinking as this week as a transition week as I use to be a morning WI - but the home scale did say 3 lbs this morning -- maybe will hold up -- been battling the big c and a cold =)
Boyfriend hashis first WI today tho extremely excited for him tho =)

Cheekyskeeter
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
I think it's great those of you that are doing IP along with your SO. My DH is not doing IP but he is eating better now. He does 99% of all the cooking and has prepared everything the way I've told him to do it. He sometimes will add a baked potatoe to his dinner but for the most part he eats what I eat.

BrittStar027
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I think it's great those of you that are doing IP along with your SO. My DH is not doing IP but he is eating better now. He does 99% of all the cooking and has prepared everything the way I've told him to do it. He sometimes will add a baked potatoe to his dinner but for the most part he eats what I eat.

It's so much better when you have a significant other that's on board with your goals. My boyfriend has been amazingly supportive throughout IP (we met while i was doing IP the first time). He asks lots of questions so that he can learn about the diet and why i have to do things the way i do. He always asks about my progress and regularly congratulates me on losses.

I cook all our meals and he never makes a peep about my "adjusted cooking" and typically compliments the meals i make for us. Secretly i think he's enjoying my adjusted cooking style as he's reaping some of the benefits (feels better when eating "clean").

summerville
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I would love for my husband to do this with me. He needs two knee replacements and I keep telling him that if he gets some weight off it his knees won't hurt as much until he works up the nerve for the operation. Plus after the operation, the lower weight will make it easier on him during recovery. But at least he is eating what I eat at dinner - same portions and everything - so you are right - that might help him lose some weight.

Anywho - I had my one week WI last night. 5.9 lbs and 7.5 inches lost. Can't complain about that since I wasn't 100 on plan all week. (i'm a terrible meal skipper and it's hard to break the habit!)

meinvt
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Have some moose stew cooking in the crock pot . . .

Moose stew? I want to be Canadian! :snow4:

M35A2
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Wife and I are doing this together and it has it's good and bad sides.

Good: We both eat the same things (other than she likes saurkraut once in a while and I can't stand it) so we don't have to worry about different meals. We are able to support each other. One of us doesn't decide they want a pizza and the other one can't have it.

Bad: We're losing at about the same rate (I may be a couple pounds ahead of her) so the coach keeps looking at me like I've been cheating. I've been 100% OP since Day 1 but either due to the meds I'm taking for MS or my lifelong issues with the Big C I'm not losing as quickly as most men on the diet. My coach isn't yelling at me or anything but I think she's skeptical about what I'm eating. I even gave up restricteds for a week and that didn't seem to help.

I'm also the head chef so I have everything ready when DW gets home at night. Tonight it's pork loin w/sliced rutabaga in the crock pot.

amberjules
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Great loss there SylviesGirl!!!! And it's so worth it to keep going... Anytime I think about eating something off of the IP diet, I think about how awful I felt for 2 days that first week and any amount of food illegal on IP is not worth it. UGH...never again.

Spinach counts as part of your total 4 cups/day veggies.

Uh oh! Why did I think this was "lettuce"? I need to go back and look at the sheet. I could have sworn spinach was "lettuce". :?:

There's a supplement called PGX that is high in fiber. You might take a look at it and see what the ingredients are and how much fiber it will give you. I've used it in the past when I wasn't on IP so I'm not sure if it will fit into your IP program.

I know it's difficult to think about going against what IP says because you want to lose weight, but your doctor knows you better than any IP coach. Eating more fiberous vegetables isn't going to harm you - though it "may" slow down your weight loss a bit, but you want to be healthy all the way through and listen to your body. You can do this! ;)

Desafinado
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
For some reason I'm feeling impatient and antsy today about losing weight. I'm so close to being out of the 200s and I haven't been there since I got married in 2007. I know it will happen as long as I follow the sheet, but still, I want it NOW. :mad:

bubbleblower
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
My GP specializes in diabetes and high BP. She's wonderful and very knowledgeable. She also believes in alternative meds. I couldn't have found a better doctor in that way.

My BP is a bit high with the higher salt intake. Not dangerously high, but I take 2 different diuretics that keep it normalized. My BP today was 139/93 and I'm usually right at or slightly below 120/80.

The surgeon won't fix my hole until I get down to 250 lbs, because of the possible complications because of diabetes. (The reason I started IP to begin with) With luck, I'll be "fixed up" by Christmas this year! I have to have open-heart surgery because they tried fixing it with the catheter patch, and because of its position, the patch kept slipping out of position. It's the atrial septal defect...between the right and left side of the heart. I have breathing issues because of the backflow of blood from left to right (which is the WRONG way)...and yes, possibility of stroke if I should even get the tiniest clot.

Sounds like you've got a great doctor looking out for you! Re: the heart issue, I can definitely relate. I had a fennestrated atrial septal defect (basically, my doc said my arterial wall looked like Swiss cheese!), a patent foramen ovale (PFO), and an atrial septal aneurysm. He went in the first time with a patch about the size of a nickel, and then came out and chose a bigger one that basically covered the whole wall since there really was no "wall" to speak of! :eek:

BTW, I've never heard of any limits for use of cider vinegar on IP.

bellasamimom
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Way to go!!! I hear you on the big drop the first week makes it so much easier to get through ;)

Suchawittygal
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
DH just started on IP with me Monday. He stepped on the scale this morning and he's already down 4 lbs! Yeah, I'm a bit jealous. LOL...but He has a lot more weight to lose than I do and he's on his first week, so he's going to have that big loss week this week. I'm very excited he's doing it with me.

He's also Type 1 Diabetic, so the program is a bit different for him, but it's still nice to have someone who understands. I want him to start coming on 3FC so he can benefit from all you wise folks here.

bellasamimom
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM

You look amazing!!! :flow2:

M35A2
02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I want him to start coming on 3FC so he can benefit from all you wise folks here.

Let him know there is a men's thread also in case he has a fear of being overwhelmed with estrogen.

Suchawittygal
02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Let him know there is a men's thread also in case he has a fear of being overwhelmed with estrogen.

LOL..Thanks! I'll do that, he'll probably be joining you guys. He's also really into RC Hobbies...cars, trucks, helicopters,and boats...so it looks like he'll fit in pretty good.

ladylunk
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Moose stew? I want to be Canadian! :snow4:

Haha. Sounds pretty hill billy hey? I have a freezer full since husband and my father had a moose hunting trip last fall. Surprising how fast we are going through it now. My husband vowed that if we did IP he could just eat all moose to save dollars. Well I am not doing that to him, but we are eating it at least once a week.

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 04:22 PM

It's so nice to hear your A1C is normal and lightest in a decade is amazing!
To increase your fiber without adding extra cups of vegs could you use metimusil? Just a thought.:)

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 04:25 PM

Thats a bummer about the spinach, Ive only been adding it to raw salads which I dont eat that often..but I wont do that again.

Wow..I hada hundred pounds to lose...now I can say that I have 75... Im so glad I found IP and you guys!

Way to go Jeffiner:carrot:

JenRem
02-20-2013, 04:42 PM

Have a great day, all!

Wow - $50 is really nice incentive!

Congrats! The big WI definately makes the first few days worth it. Keep it up!

Awesome job! :carrot:
I have my first WI tonight..fingers crossed

Good Luck - be sure to report back so we can celebrate with ya!

Welcome. This site can be addicting, but in a good way lol!

Hey everybody! Great WI's so far today! Good luck to those wieghing in later!

I actually don't WI until tomorrow but I am a daily weigher and I'm bummed that my weight has been up since Monday morning. I know TOM is prolly the cause but over the past 2-3 months, it hasn't actually made me gain! As a matter of fact I continued to lose! I keep telling myself that I am 100% OP so there is no way it is actually anything other than water. It's just that in the past I'd gain overnight from TOM and then it would take a couple of weeks to get it off again. Then of course a couple of weeks after that, it would be TOM again! It was a vicious cycle and I really hope it's not starting again!
Okay, enough venting! LOL...I'll just stay OP and it will all work out! It has been working so far!!

I don't know if it will help you or not, but I try to keep track of how much I lose every 4 weeks/1 month. Sometimes when you have the scale moving up slightly and then down again, you can feel like you are never making head way. However, if you look at your monthly loss this can put your numbers in better perspective. I know the daily weighing/fluctuations can be frustrating, but try not to get to hung up on them! :hug:

Do you live near a Nordstroms? They have amazing/informative bra fitters and a huge selection. They really aren't that expensive. Give them a try!

Congrats on a healthy A1C. This also has a huge positive effect on your oral health. Very proud of your accomplishments - way to go!

Awesome. Hope the time continues to go quickly for you!

WI tonight - never done an after dinner WI thinking as this week as a transition week as I use to be a morning WI - but the home scale did say 3 lbs this morning -- maybe will hold up -- been battling the big c and a cold =)
Boyfriend hashis first WI today tho extremely excited for him tho =)

Good Luck on your first EVENING WI. Just remember, once you get past it, then you'll have all your WI's at the same time of the day!

DH just started on IP with me Monday. He stepped on the scale this morning and he's already down 4 lbs! Yeah, I'm a bit jealous. LOL...but He has a lot more weight to lose than I do and he's on his first week, so he's going to have that big loss week this week. I'm very excited he's doing it with me.

He's also Type 1 Diabetic, so the program is a bit different for him, but it's still nice to have someone who understands. I want him to start coming on 3FC so he can benefit from all you wise folks here.

Wonderful - glad your DH is starting. Wish him good luck for us!

I'm down over 40lbs now and really starting to notice it in my clothes and in the mirror. Have a great OP day! :)

bellasamimom
02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Haha! i thought I was the only one in the world that was a 38A! FYI, Victorias Secret doesn't carry that size! I agree that it is nearly impossible to find 38A anywhere! I've been buying 36A and using bra extenders (they still don't fit quite right!) but i can't wait for the day i can just wear the darn things without an adapter!!

Gap Body has great bras and they have A cup. My SIL is very tiny and she loves the bras there. And sometimes you can get lucky and find them on clearance for under $10.00.

bellasamimom
02-20-2013, 05:51 PM
:flame:Just back from WI..I've now officially lost 25 lbs!!

:flame:
You are on fire!!

bellasamimom
02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
:cheer2:I just used my $50 credit:-) its actually a reimbursement of the dr fee they charge at the beginning.

Also they took measurement and I'm down 9.75 inches- 5.5 from my waist alone! Only 6 weeks in.

:cheer2:
Way to go!!

My2loseW8
02-20-2013, 05:58 PM

:rofl::rofl: Especially now with us dropping weight and the hormones coming out of that stored fat.. Watch out!

It was nice to have company on this. My hubby fazed out a couple months back after hitting goal. Of course he had way less to lose than me.. and lost it faster. I was really happy for him- as I know he will be for me. Now I can eat all the chocolate balls without having to share!!

Loseitfast
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Hello there all,
This is my first time posting here and I'm not sure how it all works... I have been lurking around for a long time though reading posts and learning things! I have been on IP since Sept 22, 2012 and as of today I have lost 62 lbs! I have come to the realization today though that its time to hide my scale since I have been weighing myself multiple times during the day for the past month which I have to say is not encouraging. Everyone here seems to be pretty much amazing and I have learned a lot reading through. I still have a ways to go on my goal being that I'm short but I am excited for the rest of my IP journey and I'm ready to quit worrying about the weight, enjoy the IP food, and just LIVE!

leannekarella
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
It's so nice to hear your A1C is normal and lightest in a decade is amazing!
To increase your fiber without adding extra cups of vegs could you use metimusil? Just a thought.:)

I have to do some research. Yes, I have Benfiber (same thing basically as Metimusil) it's only 1 net carb for 2 tsp, which is a serving size. But...that only adds 3g fiber a day to add. She thinks I need to add around 15... Gotta figure out the highest fiber veggies.

IPdivajen
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
leanne, have you spoken to your coach about how to work all this in with your diabetes? I ask because I was diabetic when I started and, well, now I'm not. :) I worked very closely with my coach and my GP and neither of them were ever concerned about me getting extra fibre and none of them had any issues with the amount of sodium I was having. Now, I've been on four packets since I started so I got a bit of extra protein that way but never had to work on getting extra fiber.

I've had my A1C tested every three months like clockwork and man, it's insane how normal it is. Yay!!!

I would definitely ask someone about the benefiber though - I was expressly told not to use it. There is a product IP sells called Floralax that's really helped me in the big C department.

Good luck, and congrats so far!

lisa32989
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Scorbett, I love your posts. Is there anything you don't know about this program? I can't seem to find anything on here about MiO - the drink flavoring. What's your opinion. I'm serious about being 100% and don't want little things undermining my success. :comp:
Scorbett spent a LOT of time researching and shared with all of us. Different opinions on Mio. Some coaches are a-okay, others are a big NO. Scorbett counted it as one of her 6 allowable 0/0/0 per day, knowing nutritional labels allow it to say 0, if there are fewer than 1 carb/serving

I actually did a lot of reading about vinegar. Strange, even tho it is acidic, it helps boost the alkaline levels in the body (at least the ACV does)

I'm with bubbleblower. MDs get very little (like a few HOURS) of nutritional training. If your #s are getting better, then you know the program is working. There are actually varying opinions re: fiber. Some, more "conventional" thought folks will tell you that you need LOTS. Others (more natural or functional-medicine oriented) may tell you not as much is needed, esp if you aren't eating grains. Fiber can be gotten from psyllium husks if its THAT important...(it really doesn't help with C, however & can sometimes make it WORSE!)

If the sodium intake is increasing blood pressure, then switching to alternatives such as just whey protein could be a solution. I have some that are lower sodium than the IP packets. Does your doc realize that ketognic diets are also very diuretic so the sodium may not be as big of a deal? I realize your doc sounds like a good one (better than the avg MD) but they still can't know EVERYTHING and have definitely formed opinions, mostly having to do with the food pyramid, so when we go outside the norm, they don't always "get it"

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Hello there all,
This is my first time posting here and I'm not sure how it all works... I have been lurking around for a long time though reading posts and learning things! I have been on IP since Sept 22, 2012 and as of today I have lost 62 lbs! I have come to the realization today though that its time to hide my scale since I have been weighing myself multiple times during the day for the past month which I have to say is not encouraging. Everyone here seems to be pretty much amazing and I have learned a lot reading through. I still have a ways to go on my goal being that I'm short but I am excited for the rest of my IP journey and I'm ready to quit worrying about the weight, enjoy the IP food, and just LIVE!

I love the last line of your post . . I'm glad you started posting . . . you've already inspired me! And congrats on your 62#! That number might have gotten lost in the shuffle with all your mini-WIs, but it is pretty major. Well done. (PS I share your short-girl challenges . . . not much room to hide anything when you're our height, is there?! :o)

Cheekyskeeter
02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
I just got back from my doctors office. I have been on blood pressure meds for several years now. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my bp was dropping and I was feeling very faint. So I stopped taking them. Went to the doctor today and happy to report I don't need them any more!! I will go back in a month to check it out again but at the moment I'm doing my happy dance!!! She was quite impressed with my weight loss and actually said that for my height the weight I'm at now is acceptable.....not quite acceptable to me but it was great to hear. I couldn't stop smiling when I walked out of there.

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Bubbleblower -- Thanks for the explanation about salt on this plan. I guess I am still in possession of some of the traditional thoughts on things . . . leftovers from other diets. I hadn't realized it was a whole new ballgame on IP. I do really, really like salt, though, and am trying to help recalibrate my tastebuds a bit, too. How was your dive today?? My mind's eyes is still enjoying your photos from the other day.

Lisa -- Well, that is good news about the AC vinegar. I love the stuff . . . even used to put a tad in my drinking water . . . some people think that makes me a downright weirdo! :dizzy: I guess I can still do that then? Great. Thanks a lot.

SylviesGirl
02-20-2013, 07:16 PM
I just got back from my doctors office. I have been on blood pressure meds for several years now. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my bp was dropping and I was feeling very faint. So I stopped taking them. Went to the doctor today and happy to report I don't need them any more!! I will go back in a month to check it out again but at the moment I'm doing my happy dance!!! She was quite impressed with my weight loss and actually said that for my height the weight I'm at now is acceptable.....not quite acceptable to me but it was great to hear. I couldn't stop smiling when I walked out of there.

Oh, congratulations! What wonderful news for you! And no more BP meds . . . so great! :carrot:

evepet
02-20-2013, 07:26 PM

As to the fibre, could you use something like this product 'Organic Clear Fibre' - http://www.renewlife.com/organic-clear-fiber.html. We have a family history of colon cancer, and I was concerned about the low fibre level of this protocol. I've been using this product and I often put a 1/2 dose in my soups, puddings, etc when I shake/blend them to increase my fibre intake. It doesn't affect your daily carb level, as the carb and fibre content 'net out'. But you get the benefit of the fibre.

scorbett1103
02-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Sorry so late on replying, it ended up being a bit crazy this afternoon :)

Mio is sweetened with sucralose (splenda) and is fine to use - but as with ANY extra, use in moderation. Like Lisa said, I limit my "extras to 6 per day because even those things that are 0 carbs usually have SOME trace amount of carb - which can add up if you use them too liberally.

Don't confuse acidic food with acid-forming food (stuff that throws our digestive pH balance into the acid range when it mixes with our stomach juices). ACV is fine to use as a condiment - vinegar actually has an alkalizing effect in the digestive tract.

BrittStar027
02-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Have to share! Just had the WLS cheesecake pudding for a snack, and I have to say, amazingly delicious!

IdealProteinNewbie
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Have to share! Just had the WLS cheesecake pudding for a snack, and I have to say, amazingly delicious!

Definitely! Try drizzling with WF strawberry syrup :D

scorbett1103
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Yes it is! I have sprinkled a little cinnamon on it, or had it with a little WF strawberry spread...deelish!!!

pocahontas812
02-20-2013, 08:16 PM

LOL...I also had that for the first time tonight. It was really, really good!

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM

That's fantastic news, getting off bp pills is a huge accomplishment! Well done.:D

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 08:46 PM
I've just had my first WI and I'm thrilled to be down 10 lbs :carrot:
I've set my first mini goal of 10% by WI#4 :crossed:

BrittStar027
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I can't believe how good it is! I couldn't stand the IP puddings, so I was really tentative to try any others. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting! Thank goodness for 3FC, I would have never known about all of my alternative options. It's making such a huge difference for me (staying OP) this time around.

MyTime50
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM

I have Rainbow to thank for my addiction to WLS cheesecake pudding! ;)
I never would have tried it if not for her cheesecake bites recipe! Now I have it at least 4x a week!

Sammie12
02-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone, great wi's today. I have some of the cheesecake pudding at home I'll have to pick up the wf strawberry spread to try on it. Does anyone know the recipe with the jicama & wf carmel syrup? Just picked up a jicama yesterday. Tomorrow is my wi & I have just been feeling not in the game. seems like after last weeks storm & lack of electricity & heat. I can't get back into the mind set. Tomorrow is a new day. =)

JenRem
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM

That is so awesome; congrats. Just an idea, but maybe you could put the money away that you would've spent on bp meds and use it towards new -smaller clothes....

I've just had my first WI and I'm thrilled to be down 10 lbs :carrot:
I've set my first mini goal of 10% by WI#4 :crossed:

Wow - 10 lbs. - Amazing! Way to go! I'm so excited for you.

Just be a little careful making your mini-goals/goals have a specific date or WI. Sometimes, people will have a goal to be such and such weight BY such and such date and if it doesn't happen, they get really disappointed. It's safer to just say that your first mini goal is to lose 10%. When you reach your goal, is when you reach your goal. The most important factor is that the scale goes the right direction - down. Try not to get hung up on dates. It will help you to not get as frustrated and down on yourself.
Also, the scale is NOT the only item that shows our success in trying to reach a healthy weight. We will have WI's when we don't lose any or very little on the scale, but we may lose inches or have what we call NSV (non-scale victories). These could be anything from fitting into clothes that you couldn't for some time or going to a restaurant and eating 100% OP or being able to tie your shoes without getting out of breath.
Just some things to think about.
:)Jen

bubbleblower
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Does your doc realize that ketognic diets are also very diuretic so the sodium may not be as big of a deal? I realize your doc sounds like a good one (better than the avg MD) but they still can't know EVERYTHING and have definitely formed opinions, mostly having to do with the food pyramid, so when we go outside the norm, they don't always "get it"

I've *definitely found this to be true! Most seem to have no idea what they're talking about.

That's terrific!! Congrats!

Bubbleblower -- Thanks for the explanation about salt on this plan. I guess I am still in possession of some of the traditional thoughts on things . . . leftovers from other diets. I hadn't realized it was a whole new ballgame on IP. I do really, really like salt, though, and am trying to help recalibrate my tastebuds a bit, too. How was your dive today?? My mind's eyes is still enjoying your photos from the other day.

It really is a new ballgame. I just read the book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance," and it really helped to explain a lot for me. It also helped me to understand why I'm sitting here on the computer when I'd normally be sound asleep by now after dive day. ;)

The dives were great today. The weather is back to normal (we had a couple of days of blustery winds and cooler temps). I haven't cracked open the camera yet, but I think I got some keepers of a couple of large angel fish and a nurse shark. Just a few more days of relaxing and then I get to go home and finish packing up a house full of belongings for a big move. I think it's going to be a tough ride back to reality!

Dinie89
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Lost 4 lbs time to move that ticker - Yay

Mother of the Groom
02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Very good point JenRem, I'll revise that mini goal to 10% no set date. :)

leannekarella
02-20-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm with bubbleblower. MDs get very little (like a few HOURS) of nutritional training. If your #s are getting better, then you know the program is working. There are actually varying opinions re: fiber. Some, more "conventional" thought folks will tell you that you need LOTS. Others (more natural or functional-medicine oriented) may tell you not as much is needed, esp if you aren't eating grains. Fiber can be gotten from psyllium husks if its THAT important...(it really doesn't help with C, however & can sometimes make it WORSE!)

If the sodium intake is increasing blood pressure, then switching to alternatives such as just whey protein could be a solution. I have some that are lower sodium than the IP packets. Does your doc realize that ketognic diets are also very diuretic so the sodium may not be as big of a deal? I realize your doc sounds like a good one (better than the avg MD) but they still can't know EVERYTHING and have definitely formed opinions, mostly having to do with the food pyramid, so when we go outside the norm, they don't always "get it"

RE: fiber... I've been reading all afternoon. 15g of fiber per 1000 calories seems to be acceptable. If I were eating the typical 2000 calorie diet, then I'd need the 30 grams. I think I will stick with what I'm doing. My average is between 14-17 so I'm right on target, if not a little more, than I "need".

I just ordered some psyllium today to try, I'm drinking my Smooth Move as I write this, and I will use some Benefiber when it becomes super necessary (tomorrow morning if the Smooth Move doesn't get things moving!)

RE: sodium... I have switched to a lot of alternatives in the last few weeks because of the sodium. I have such a HUGE water retention issue because of the heart issue, when I eat even half of what IP considers proper, I retain BADLY, and then have to take more diuretic, which is going to ruin my kidneys--seeing my mother is on dialysis because of diabetes, this scares me to death!

This, at least, I totally agree with the doctor because I've been battling the retention for the entire 2 months I've been on this diet. When I have 2000+ g of sodium a day, plus 64 oz of water, and no diuretic... (I have tested it twice.) The next morning I'm up 7lbs! That means that entire 64 oz of water plus any other fluids I consumed like soup, NEVER CAME OUT. Therefore, I must stay lower sodium. When I retain water, my blood pressure skyrockets. Today, I was not retaining water when they took my BP, and it was up from normal...which it is when I'm not retaining water. Which leads me to believe it's the sodium. Granted, it's only 1 test, but still, it makes me worry.

Doc is going to monitor my kidney and liver functions every month through blood tests to make sure it's all working right...

I think everything will be okay. Another 6 months on this will make me way healthier in the long run. It was still a good day!

leannekarella
02-20-2013, 10:47 PM
leanne, have you spoken to your coach about how to work all this in with your diabetes? I ask because I was diabetic when I started and, well, now I'm not. :) I worked very closely with my coach and my GP and neither of them were ever concerned about me getting extra fibre and none of them had any issues with the amount of sodium I was having. Now, I've been on four packets since I started so I got a bit of extra protein that way but never had to work on getting extra fiber.

I've had my A1C tested every three months like clockwork and man, it's insane how normal it is. Yay!!!

I would definitely ask someone about the benefiber though - I was expressly told not to use it. There is a product IP sells called Floralax that's really helped me in the big C department.

Good luck, and congrats so far!

Thanks for the congrats... My coach is useless when it comes to health issues. Sell the diet, sell the food, measure, weigh, sell the food, sell the diet. He knows NOTHING about diabetes other than the "alternative plan" which I don't need because I'm not on insulin. I'm fairly certain that they (husband and wife team) simply were taught the plan, not the whys.

I went to the mat with him the first couple of weigh ins because I was having the issues with sodium and the higher carb restricted foods (I can't have them at all or my glucose spikes). The last time we really spoke, and I explained why I wouldn't buy any restricted foods, he shrugged and said, "If you're losing weight and not hungry, I guess you know what you're doing." So to say I've felt "on my own" is pretty accurate (Thank God for 3FC!!!!) My health issues are unique, so I'm learning by trial and error to work the diet around them. The good A1C really gave me the emotional boost I needed! I'm moving in the right direction. I do worry about the other health issues, but I do realize that this is fairly short term, and right now, other than the hole in the heart and the diabetes, I'm fairly healthy (just had a cath done and know my arteries are squeaky clean, so no heart attack or stroke from that anytime soon)

JenRem
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Lost 4 lbs time to move that ticker - Yay

4 lbs - WTG. Yes, by all means move that ticker lol!
Wasn't this the WI that you had to switch to evening time and you were worried/concerned??? :D

Dinie89
02-20-2013, 11:08 PM
4 lbs - WTG. Yes, by all means move that ticker lol!
Wasn't this the WI that you had to switch to evening time and you were worried/concerned??? :D

Yes - It was I was ecstatic totally -- night time WI and me are friends now - even more so I was battling the big c all week to!

FlooNimbus13127
02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I had a crap day today, and I feel like I wimped out at dinner-time. I wanted comfort, so I had a pancake packet with WF syrup, and scrambled two eggs (with cooking spray only).

I know it could have been worse, but it could have been so much better too (I had no veggies prepped or leftover.)

So I'm just going to pat myself of the back for keeping it within the protocol, and do better tomorrow.

Tziri
02-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Gotta love getting to move the ticker! Congrats Dinie!

JenRem
02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
I had a crap day today, and I feel like I wimped out at dinner-time. I wanted comfort, so I had a pancake packet with WF syrup, and scrambled two eggs (with cooking spray only).

I know it could have been worse, but it could have been so much better too (I had no veggies prepped or leftover.)

So I'm just going to pat myself of the back for keeping it within the protocol, and do better tomorrow.

We all have crap days like that. Good job patting yourself on the back and I would pat you on the back if I was there, too. Sometimes you just got to do the best you can do and call it good enough!
Yes, tomorrow is a new day. Thank God, right? Hang in there, it's almost here! :hug: Jen

leannekarella
02-21-2013, 12:51 AM

I've had a few of those days. I feel guilty about not eating all my veggies. But then I say okay, I didn't break any BIG rules. The pancakes are a nice treat, too. Very comforting for me.