Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #1  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Daily fat intake?

Seems we've sussed out that about 30g-40g of net carbs each day is the limit for IP. What's the fat gram limit? Anyone know?
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

That's not something I've ever paid much attention to, to be honest. IP products (or comparable alternatives) should all be below 30% calories from fat. The only fat we are getting is really from the daily oil we are supposed to have, and whatever fat is in the meat. The closest I've come to even watching that number is my ratios on MyFitnessPal, I always aimed for 45% of my daily calories to come from protein, fat and carbs just kind of fell into place from there.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #3  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
Seems we've sussed out that about 30g-40g of net carbs each day is the limit for IP. What's the fat gram limit? Anyone know?
I THINK it's supposed to be no more than 30% of your daily calories. 9 calories per gram of fat.

I cannot find what it is SUPPOSED to be anywhere official. Looking at 2 months worth of MFP logs, depending on the meat I choose (I do eat beef a couple of times a week) my fat grams per day are between 15-40 g/day, with the highest I ever had was 50, which was Valentine's and a New York strip (high fat) steak that I don't eat on a regular basis.

My weight loss is good, so I will stick with trying to keep it under 40/day. So that's slightly higher than the 30%, since my calories are always between 800-950/day. But some days it's much lower, 15-18g, so I think it all evens out. At least my body says it does.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #4  
Started IP 1/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
That's not something I've ever paid much attention to, to be honest. IP products (or comparable alternatives) should all be below 30% calories from fat. The only fat we are getting is really from the daily oil we are supposed to have, and whatever fat is in the meat. The closest I've come to even watching that number is my ratios on MyFitnessPal, I always aimed for 45% of my daily calories to come from protein, fat and carbs just kind of fell into place from there.
MyFitnessPal is what made me wonder, actually. I noticed I was hitting the right carb number so wondered if the fat number was right, too.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I THINK it's supposed to be no more than 30% of your daily calories. 9 calories per gram of fat.

I cannot find what it is SUPPOSED to be anywhere official. Looking at 2 months worth of MFP logs, depending on the meat I choose (I do eat beef a couple of times a week) my fat grams per day are between 15-40 g/day, with the highest I ever had was 50, which was Valentine's and a New York strip (high fat) steak that I don't eat on a regular basis.

My weight loss is good, so I will stick with trying to keep it under 40/day. So that's slightly higher than the 30%, since my calories are always between 800-950/day. But some days it's much lower, 15-18g, so I think it all evens out. At least my body says it does.

Yeah, MFP has me all into the numbers and percentages. Too many tools!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #6  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post

800-950 calories a day? WOW! I tend to be a bit higher. Do you feel tired throughout the day? I go a little crazy with vegetables to make sure I don't feel like i'm going to pass out....and I wonder how that will impact my weight loss....
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
800-950 calories a day? WOW! I tend to be a bit higher. Do you feel tired throughout the day? I go a little crazy with vegetables to make sure I don't feel like i'm going to pass out....and I wonder how that will impact my weight loss....
If you are following Phase 1 according to the sheet (including correct portions of veggies and meat and 3 packets per day) you should be somewhere in the 700-900 calorie range. Veggies are not unlimited, only lettuce - so you really should not be adding them beyond your 4 cups per day.

If you feel lightheaded it might actually be a lack of salt. Try licking some salt off the back of your hand if you feel dizzy or faint and see if that helps. If you are dealing with hunger, you can have as much lettuce (romaine, iceberg or boston/butter lettuce) as you can stomach. If the thought of eating a bowl of lettuce doesn't make you want to eat, you probably weren't dealing with actual, physical hunger. Thirst can mask itself as hunger...and sometimes we have trained our bodies to eat when we are bored/stressed/etc - which is MENTAL hunger but not real hunger.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
If you feel lightheaded it might actually be a lack of salt. Try licking some salt off the back of your hand if you feel dizzy or faint and see if that helps. If you are dealing with hunger, you can have as much lettuce (romaine, iceberg or boston/butter lettuce) as you can stomach. If the thought of eating a bowl of lettuce doesn't make you want to eat, you probably weren't dealing with actual, physical hunger. Thirst can mask itself as hunger...and sometimes we have trained our bodies to eat when we are bored/stressed/etc - which is MENTAL hunger but not real hunger.
When I feel like I am hungry or tired I have Romaine leaves with a little garlic infused olive oil and a little salt on them. Makes me feel like I am eating chips and gives me a quick pick me up. I eat them whole so I don't feel like all I am having is a salad. :-)
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #9  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinF View Post
When I feel like I am hungry or tired I have Romaine leaves with a little garlic infused olive oil and a little salt on them. Makes me feel like I am eating chips and gives me a quick pick me up. I eat them whole so I don't feel like all I am having is a salad. :-)
Yikes! I usually snack on lettuce with spinach, broccoli, and cucumbers. I'll have to give the salt and water a try though. Thanks!
Tomorrow may be difficult...
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

I'm like you Desafinado, I like to track myself so I'm held accountable for what I'm doing! I use MFP as well. If you go to Goals, you can change your percentages. I change mine to be 1000 calores, 20% Carbs and 40% of Protein and Fat. I notice that if I have a little bit more fat, it helps my losses. I very rarely go under 1000 calories, but that's probably becuase I do all alternatives and do not buy any packets and such from the vendors right now. Plus, I'm from Louisiana, so it's been very hard for me not to add a little of this and a little of that to any dish I make.. LOL! I'm learning what it all does though, which is what I want since this is a lifestyle change for me! I do use the EAS AdvantEdge shakes for my breakfasts and cook everything for my lunch and dinners. I also have some protein bars that I will use as a restricted in case I need something sweet but normally only eat half of it! Today I'll be having a salad with peppers, cucumbers and roasted curry cauliflower with oil and vingar dressing and a touch of garlic salt and Tony's. And as my protein, I made a gumbo last night and will eat the shrimp, chicken, okra and a little sausage out of it.. Yum! Now I'm hungry! ha! Good Luck!!

Last edited by DontGiveUp17; 02-20-2013 at 10:56 AM.
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #11  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
I cannot eat less than the 800 calories or I have no energy. I do NOT eat restricted foods because of diabetes, so I do eat more veggies than I'm supposed to (not much, but some) and I eat a couple extra ounces of meat a day because of the lack of calories from the restricted foods. And that fat adds up real fast on meat. Lately my extra protein, I'm sticking to shrimp and white fish. I eat a lot of chicken breast and ground turkey breast for dinners. I have beef a couple of times a week because it gives me an energy boost.

Being diabetic, I'm a little different than following the list exactly, because my body rebels. AND, when the fat is higher, I have faster losses... BUT I make sure it's not constantly high.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote