Exercise! - Need running shoe ideas!!

View Full Version : Need running shoe ideas!!

JollyGreenSteen19
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
What kind of running shoes do you wear? I have no particular foot problems. I'm willing to spend a decent amount on a pair. I'm looking to start getting into running (a 5k and then maybe more) so I would like a high quality pair.

merilung
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
I wear Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves and I love them. Husband wears Vibram 5 fingers and he loves those, but they don't fit my feet very well. I wish they did because I'd love to try them - my husband runs crazy fast!

curvynotlumpy
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
I wear New Balance 1080 v.3. All my running shoes have been New Balance in the 1080 line--I believe it's been through 2 or 3 updates since I began running. You're wise to protect your feet. Make sure you get yourself professionally fitted. The NB I wear is a neutral shoe but they are pricey.

Also invest in a good sports bra and a wicking shirt if you can. The bra and shoes are a must and I learned the hard way from running in cotton and being so uncomfortable that a good wicking shirt goes a long way towards making running bearable AND enjoyable. Target and Wal-Mart have good, inexpensive ones.

Good luck to you!

nelie
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
New Balances have never, ever worked for my feet.

I like Merrells, Brooks or Nike. I would go to a running store and get fitted.

YoYoSherry
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
New Balance works for me. I have a weird foot. I wear a size 6, (wish the rest of me was that small!), high arches, wide at the toes and narrow at the heels. Woe is me. lol
I wore Reeboks for years and then they just didn't work for me. I do wear Birkenstock sandals and I have a pair of loafers that are Birkies, but surprisingly not that comfortable.
Even if it costs money, take care of your feet! My last pair of NB (retail $100), I from Ebay (new) for $25. Hope I am that lucky when this pair wears out.
I do treadmill, so they really don't get beat up that much

ShanaOB
02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I've been running for years in Mizuno shoes. LOVE THEM. But... went to a chi running workshop and decided to switch to a "zero drop" shoe, so now I have Altra and... LOVE THEM TOO! lol So I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. The Mizunos are a good stable support shoe. The Altras are not a barefoot or minimalist shoe, but your heel is on the same level as the ball of your foot for a flat-footed foot strike. Both are in the $100 range. Where I live there are two separate running stores that will do a free gail analysis for you to help you determine which shoe is the best fit. You might want to look into that : )

ShanaOB
02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
"gail" analysis should be GAIT analysis, duh

TripSwitch
02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't recommend any "barefoot" type running shoe for anyone just starting out... BUT DEFINITELY I would HIGHLY recommend going to a place that caters to runners and get fitted for the right running shoe for you...

Me personally... I've been putting about 40 miles a week in on a couple of pairs of ASICS GEL-Nimbus 14's lately... I like the cushioning... very plush ride...

Jez
02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I love flats and Vibram soled shoes in general. I have two pairs of Brooks PureCadence shoes that I use for walking/jogging/gym/etc.

Nikel1979
02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Go to a running store and get fitted. I wear Saucony Fastwitch 5, but those could be terrible for your feet. Even the first pair that Fleet Feet put me in that technically are right for my feet caused me a lot of pain.

curvynotlumpy
02-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Go to a running store and get fitted. I wear Saucony Fastwitch 5, but those could be terrible for your feet. Even the first pair that Fleet Feet put me in that technically are right for my feet caused me a lot of pain.

Exactly, Nikel1979! You're getting a lot of great recommendations, but as you can see, runners and our feet are very diverse :dizzy:/! Wear the shoe that is the best for you, JGS19.

EagleRiverDee
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
New Balance for myself as well - I like that they readily come in a 4E width (I have bunions, need wide shoes) and plus they are really a comfortable shoe.

free1
02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm training for a half marathon.....I agree with everyone go to a good running or sports store to ask questions. I started in a New Balance and LOVED THEM....Never had a blister or knee/foot pain in almost a year. My New Balance have a hole now but they lasted almost a full year (and probably should have been replaced sooner). I recently switched to a Saucony and it feels GREAT. I put almost 12 mails on them in 48 hours and they appear to be a good match.

My husband is a distance runner...he loves Saucony as well although he used to run in Asics and loved them too.

ETA: I heard a minimalist or flat sort of shoe isn't good for new or heavier runners. I started running at over 200.....

CherryPie99
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Another Vibram wearer here, too! I've had foot/ankle problems my whole life, so when I started running I chose Vibrams and LOVE them.

merilung
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
ETA: I heard a minimalist or flat sort of shoe isn't good for new or heavier runners. I started running at over 200.....

I'm a new AND a heavy runner and I love my minimalist/barefoot shoes! It's very important to me to develop and perserve a natural running form, and I feel that minimalist shoes are really helping me do that. Obviously, YMMV.

Nikel1979
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm a new AND a heavy runner and I love my minimalist/barefoot shoes! It's very important to me to develop and perserve a natural running form, and I feel that minimalist shoes are really helping me do that. Obviously, YMMV.

My shoes aren't quite minimalist, but they're close. (They're racing flats.) I've only been running 6-7 months and am still pretty heavy. I have zero foot/ankle pain in my shoes. I tried a pair with the same specs, just a bigger heel to drop, and I had to stop after 1 mile and needed 2 days off to recover. My racing flats, straight out of the box I ran 10 miles pain free and only needed 1 recovery day, which is my usual long run recovery.

JollyGreenSteen19
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Wow thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm kinda nervous to go to a running store to get fitted, to be honest. I guess I am always uncomfortable doing things that "fit" people do. LOL. I've been slowly getting over that. I've been told that new balance shoes are the best for people who are heavier. Of course, everyone is different!

curvynotlumpy
02-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Glad you got some great advice JGS19! I can't speak to whether NB is best for heavier folks, but I do know that they fit my wide foot remarkably well. I need a wide toe-box. NB also has a good reputation for making a good neutral shoe. I have to admit that when I run I often look at the Nike and Asics wearers and wonder, "why, why, why not me?!" :tantrum: ;). I think Nike and Asics make a really good looking shoe but I also know they aren't for me.

You won't regret getting yourself fitted by someone knowledgeable. They'll ask you questions about your activity level and what you do or hope to do in terms of exercise and then put together a selection of shoes for you. I've been going to the same Fleet Feet for years and even though they know me, my foot, and shoe preferences they will still have me try out my shoes in the store. I'll run down the block. If you're not running yet they should have you walk. It's all in effort to assess your gait and pronation and comfort level in any shoe you try. Don't think that this is something only 'fit' people do; think in terms of "this is what smart people who want to avoid injuries do". I know that lots of people's experiences will differ, but even at my heaviest I didn't feel judged when I went to get fitted.

Good luck!

toastedsmoke
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
I also have a "thing" about getting fitted for shoes because I feel self-conscious about my (I think relative to my height) ginormous size 11 (not narrow or dainty) feet. For my first pair of running shoes, I didn't have the luxury of getting fitted because we don't have running shops or really awesomely-stocked sneaker stores where I live and I was ordering online (from Amazon). I did a lot of research online and read a lot of reviews and chose the Saucony ProGrid Stabil CS. It was probably a bit more stable than I needed it to be but it's an excellent shoe with no break-in period and I think it's great for a heavier runner.

I recently changed shoes to Asics Gel Neo-33 and they're amazing, really light and like running on clouds. But I don't know if I'd found them as sturdy or as supportive when I was heavier.

FrouFrou
02-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Every pair of New Balance I had are gone! They were awful. I can't remember which Nikes it is that I have but they are hot pink with lime green and they are the best running shoes ever! Need to get another pair before they are gone!

nelie
02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Every pair of New Balance I had are gone! They were awful. I can't remember which Nikes it is that I have but they are hot pink with lime green and they are the best running shoes ever! Need to get another pair before they are gone!

You must have the same type of feet I do :) Seriously, I'm not sure what is up with New Balance but I bought a pair of minimalist ones to try out and they are just as bad for me as the other type. I have wide feet but luckily there are other options.

I'm not sure if running stores sell wide Nikes anymore if you have wide feet, they might but apparently they are a special order if you want to order them on their website. I know Nikes 'work' for me so I was willing to special order a pair of Lunarglide 4's from the Nike website. They were pricey ($150?) but having a pair of shoes that doesn't cause me foot numbness or ankle pain was important.

And in general, running stores will work with your budget as well. I mean if you go there looking for $20 shoes, they most likely won't have that but if you say your budget is no more than $80, they will work with that. I've found the ranges to be $60+ in a running store.

JollyGreenSteen19
02-27-2013, 09:25 PM
A trip to Scheels today and I was rather intimidated by the shoe selection. I hate stores where the only way you can try stuff on is to bother the guy to get it from the back. I kind of like to scope stuff out, and see if they have anything I like in my size (9.5-10). I always feel like I have big feet and I'll have a limited selection in that size. I didn't end up getting anything. My husband doesn't understand why I can't just buy a $20 pair of sneakers from Target. So of course I felt bad dropping $150 on some nice shoes. I couldn't make him understand the importance of good footwear, he doesn't think because something is more expensive it's better. OOOOOOH.

(coughcougheventhoughi'mthebreadwinnercoughcough LOL).

JollyGreenSteen19
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
So for now I have decided on Brooks Ariel, I'll update how it runs for an overweight runner. It seems to have among the best motion control and arch support of shoes I've seen. I had been trying to train for 5k's on 7 year old running shoes before. Little did I know....

This could make all the difference. :)

CaperMom
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I have done a lot of walking I was up to 4 miles a day which is good for me I have not waled in about 3 weeks as I have really bad ankle and leg pain due to medication I would love to run but just not able to do it I have tried and can run for a min or two then that's it cant go any further can you please tell me how you went about starting to run

JollyGreenSteen19
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
CaperMom - google Couch 2 5K program. It's a great program for beginners - even the most out of shape people. There's a great smart phone app, but also mp3 downloads or just a program to follow. If you have ankle problems though, you should make sure you check with a doctor or an expert before beginning so you don't hurt yourself.

CaperMom
03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Thank you I will look at it

Nikel1979
03-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Capermom, I agree with checking with a Dr before starting if you're having ankle problems. That said, I started C25K in late July. This past Sunday I completed my first half marathon. :D

Snickerless
03-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I was going to say no one can suggest a pair of shoes for you since everyones feet are different. Brooks makes a really nice shoe, along with New Balance. Especially for heavier runners, you should be happy with them. If I could make a suggestion is to read a book. "The complete runners handbook" by Bob Glover. The best book ever written, on running. From sedentary to marathoner.