General Diet Plans and Questions - Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

TripSwitch
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
So it looks like the "Lean Gains, Fast 5, and other IF" thread was over it's limit... and I guess was going to be closed... so I went ahead and started this one... I just went with the "Intermittent Fasting.... " title to just be as general as possible, since it seems like a lot of people here are doing their own thing when it comes to IF... which is personally what I like about IF anyway... that it's pretty flexible... and can fit in with whatever "plan" you happen to be using or way of eating that works for you...

As far as me personally, I'm a relative recent convert to IF... but so far, so good... there has been a few bumps along the way... but I've pretty much settled into a very comfortable (for me) 16/8 routine that I'm quite happy with for now...

So I look forward to seeing familiar faces and hearing from new ones as well here...

sacha
02-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi I'm new! Not new to IF (well, a month in) but my husband & I have been doing it for a few weeks. I find it makes life with the kids much easier, I'm nursing a 3 month old and find it easier to scarf down my big meal rather than try and prep so many little unsatisfying meals. I'm down 12lbs (147lbs to 135lbs) and losing rapidly. I'm on 2000 calories a day, we have the same window.

I love it!!! :)

TripSwitch
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi sacha... :welcome2:

Congrats on being down 12lbs... that's awesome! and ITA about not having to prep so many little meals... and not to sound like a fanatic or anything... lol... but I really LOVE IT too! Sometimes I still can't believe how relatively easy it's been for me...

Now when people say to me "Wow... You look great... You've lost a lot of weight..." "What are you doing?"... and I say... "Well... actually, one of the easiest things that I'm doing is simply eating less often... I just love the look on their faces when they try to get their head around that one... :)

betsy2013
02-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread, but glad to find other IFers (that doesn't sound right -- sorry -- but no coffee yet! ;) ) out here. I started this right before New Year's and have adapted so easily to this schedule of eating for an 8 hour window each day. Mine is noon to 8 PM. Plus I count calories and carbs, but have gotten 32 pounds off and am still going strong. Usually about this time, I'm so totally bored with the diet that I go off of it, promptly gain back everything and a little more.

I think I'm finally beginning to conquer some of my emotional eating, but this weekend has been a challenge as my grand nephew has been here and there have been lots of meals cooked and lots of food in the house that normally isn't here. I did well 3 out of the 4 days, and will get back on track today.

Wish I'd heard about IF years (decades!) ago.

sacha
02-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi sacha... :welcome2:

Congrats on being down 12lbs... that's awesome! and ITA about not having to prep so many little meals... and not to sound like a fanatic or anything... lol... but I really LOVE IT too! Sometimes I still can't believe how relatively easy it's been for me...

Now when people say to me "Wow... You look great... You've lost a lot of weight..." "What are you doing?"... and I say... "Well... actually, one of the easiest things that I'm doing is simply eating less often... I just love the look on their faces when they try to get their head around that one... :)

Thanks!! It sure kicks that 6 meal a day myth in the bum eh??!? The shock on their face

I'm still cooking all day long (I have little kids) so it helps me prevent snacking :dizzy:

krampus
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
IF is awesome because it is how I operate naturally, and is therefore the most intuitive way of eating.

Today I'm off work and having dinner at 4:30, so I had a big meal at 12. I'm planning on getting to the gym at 2:30 or so - I am looking forward to a well-timed workout, often I have peak energy when I am at the office or the gym is closed.

Mizzthingaling
02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I am still IFing. I have changed my diet but IF still works. My hunger has been off the charts this week but that is really a PMS issue. Glad to see others are still doing it.

TripSwitch
02-19-2013, 08:47 AM
This is great to see everyone popping in... I'm really looking forward to checking in here to see how IF is working for people...

I've been pretty good sticking with my 16/8 even though I came down with a nasty cold last week and I'm still not 100% yet... Unfortunately, I think getting sick was of my own making since I fell into an old trap of mine... the dreaded trying to do "too much... too soon..." and actually maybe someone here could offer some advice...

Here's what happened... I've been wanting to start doing more of my training (in my case running) in the morning while I'm still fasting from the night before. But instead of just going out for a short run... I wound up staying out and putting in 8 miles, well needless to say I really paid for that serious lack of judgement on my part.

So my question is.... For those that workout while IF'ing what do you do? Do you just keep it short? Do you avoid cardio? Or do you just avoid working out all together while still fasting from the night before? I'm definitely curious to hear how people here fit their workouts in with IF... What works... What doesn't...

krampus
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
It sucks. In an ideal world I'd prefer to lift in the AM and do cardio after work, but my lifts are pathetic in a fasted morning state. However I only have a 1 hour window before work (cause f--k getting up at 5 AM) and I can't make myself eat in the mornings.

I end up doing everything at 5:30 PM and sometimes I have lackluster AM workouts before work - these I consider a bonus simply because I managed to get out of bed

TripSwitch
02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I have lackluster AM workouts before work - these I consider a bonus simply because I managed to get out of bed

I like this... This is so me too... I think this is how I'm gonna have to look at it too... because the only time I'm ever pushing myself in the morning is when I have to... for a race or something like that... and who knows... if by some miracle I'm ever magically transformed into one of those early morning runners... than I guess I'll have to a look at maybe changing up my IF... but I don't think I'm in any real danger of that happened any time soon... ;)

krampus
02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Also: WINTER IN NEW YORK SUCKS! I am just proud of myself for maintaining my weight and not gaining 5 pounds every day at this point.

Once spring and summer hit, earlier daylight and warmer temperatures and later sunsets make it much easier to exercise when we feel like it vs. when we can force ourselves to make time to.

TripSwitch
02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Also: WINTER IN NEW YORK SUCKS! I am just proud of myself for maintaining my weight and not gaining 5 pounds every day at this point.

Once spring and summer hit, earlier daylight and warmer temperatures and later sunsets make it much easier to exercise when we feel like it vs. when we can force ourselves to make time to.

This is so true... I should be proud of myself too for for not gaining over the winter... I always tend to forget what a battle that really is... since basically all my body wants to do is hibernate... which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't that I want to eat all the *** ****!!! time too... :)

And so looking forward to spring too... It will just be nice to head out for a run and not have to worry about slipping and breaking my *** every five minutes on some ice that I didn't see... ;)

sacha
02-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm in Canada but only 20 minutes from the NY border (Champlain), I agree, it's awful here! I'm from the west coast, I've never been so cold in my life!!

Honeybun
02-21-2013, 02:02 AM
I have been eating low carb for awhile. I have fasted in the past. Very interested in intermittent fasting. So it is eating one day and fasting the next?

I would really like some information on this.

New here to this forum.
Thanks,
Honey

TripSwitch
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
I have been eating low carb for awhile. I have fasted in the past. Very interested in intermittent fasting. So it is eating one day and fasting the next?

New here to this forum.
Thanks,
Honey

There are A LOT of IF plans out there... leangains, Fast-5, Eat Stop Eat, etc...
So doing a google search on IF and some of those might be a place to start...

I don't follow a specific IF "plan"... I just try and stick to a 16/8 routine... so basically I "fast" for about 16 hours a day and eat during an 8 hour "window" which for me is usually between 12pm and 8pm on most days... so basically skipping "breakfast"... some days I'll go a little longer without eating depending on how I feel and what I'm doing... I try to keep it pretty flexible...

sacha
02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

New here to this forum.
Thanks,
Honey

You eat every day.

But you have a "window" for eating. For example, my window is 10am-6pm: I do not eat before 10 and I do not eat after 6. Ever.

5am: wakeup
10am: pre-workout snack (some meat + a fruit) (250 calories)
10-noon: train (sometime in there)
Noon: feast (1200 calorie meal - majority of my carbs and 50-60% daily calories in ONE meal)
5pm: dinner meal (550 calories)
Total: 2000 calories

surfergirl2
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
How many of you IFers have found that your body adapts to your schedule of eating, so that eventually you're never hungry until it's time for a meal? I'm not exactly doing IF, but i have been eating breakfast later and eating my meals at the same time every day. The first couple of weeks, i was ravenous after working out in the morning and having to wait an hour before breakfast (only because i was showering/dressing/driving to work), but now i no longer am at all. Same thing with dinnertime.

sacha
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Your body adapts. But your biggest meal (fest) generally comes right after your workout - IF is meant for those with 'regular' schedules, technically. People who do IF in general also choose meals with higher protien and fat (and lower carb), such as "Paleo" style eating which helps with satiety (some don't, but in general most do).

IF is sort of based on life in primal times. You wake up, maybe forage for some berries in the morning, have your big feast with everyone later on. It is designed to follow how humans generally ate before we all had mini-fridges!

hopebewild
02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Surfergirl I find that I too have less hunger if I eat my meals at the same time everyday. Once I have a day of snacking/grazing tho it seems to take FOREVER for my appetite to settle down

TripSwitch
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Well... my body has definitely adapted to IF pretty well, actually much better than I would have ever thought since I hardly every went without eating for more than 10 or 12 hours and honestly didn't think that I could... But I still get hungry during my "fasting"... especially, in the evening which is understandable since I always used to eat something after dinner... and I also find that about an hour or two before I open up my eating "window" my hunger can be off the charts sometimes and really distracting... but considering how long I'm going without food and how much I'm working out that's pretty understandable too... I have found that since I've included some 24 hour "fasts" in my plan it has made my 16/8 routine much more "doable" though...

Right now my main focus is on managing my weight, reducing my body fat, and getting really fit again... and IF seems to be helping with all of that... although I do have some concerns that once I start to really ramp my running back up to over 70miles a week I might have to rethink the whole IF approach... but like they say... We'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

Sarasage
02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi all :)

I'm new here!
I started IF this week, doing one day of 2000cals and the next day 500cals. Today is my third fast day and I'm feeling quite tired but that's probably down to not getting enough sleep last night! I'm feeling ready for a meal now but going to hang on a bit so that I don't get tempted into eating more later on.
I've never been big on breakfast but always made to feel bad about not eating 'the most important meal of the day'!!

Anyway, I'm so pleased to have found out about IF and this thread!! :D

hopebewild
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Welcome sarasage!

TripSwitch
02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Just a quick check in... I've been maintaining quite nicely with my 16/8 routine and I threw in a 24hr fast last week as well, because it just happened to fit into my schedule... And I've also seemed to have found my "happy" place when it comes to running in the morning while still fasting, which is about 6 miles or less... 8 miles was too much, it just left me feeling not so hot to say the least... But I'm perfectly OK with that...

betsy2013
02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Here's what happened... I've been wanting to start doing more of my training (in my case running) in the morning while I'm still fasting from the night before. But instead of just going out for a short run... I wound up staying out and putting in 8 miles, well needless to say I really paid for that serious lack of judgement on my part.

So my question is.... For those that workout while IF'ing what do you do? Do you just keep it short? Do you avoid cardio? Or do you just avoid working out all together while still fasting from the night before? I'm definitely curious to hear how people here fit their workouts in with IF... What works... What doesn't...

I'm following the 8 Hour Diet which says that if you do as little as 8 minutes of exercise before breaking the fast that it gets the metabolism going. I end up doing more before eating, but if you're pressed for time in the morning, sacrificing 8 minutes if probably doable. These are not exercises that one would have to get dressed in gym clothes to do. Lots of info on the Internet about this diet plan.

TripSwitch
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks betsy for the info...

I actually think I might have "over did it" with the training last week and I'm feeling it this week... So I'm trying to be smart about things this week... I've cut my training in half the last 2 days and I decided to back my IF down to 14/10 for today and depending how I feel I might keep it there for a little while... We'll see...

TripSwitch
02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Happy to report that I'm back to 16/8 with no problems... and after taking it easy this week I'm finally looking forward to some really long traing sessions this weekend... Now all I need to do is get my nutrition "dialed in" with the program and I'll be all set... :dizzy:

betsy2013
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
I keep telling people who are noticing that at least my face looks thinner (I'll have to lose a small person before my butt and thighs look closer to "normal") about IF. Of course, they immediately tell me everything that is wrong with it based on the current best dieting advice. My goal is 10 pounds per month and my "reality" goal is 8 lbs/month. So far -- and I haven't hit a plateau yet -- it's been a snap to meet the 10/month goal.

It's taken me a long time to just accept that I need to find what works for my body and just ignore all of the other diet plans/advice that's out there. I think that is true of everyone. Doesn't mean IF is for everyone, but for those of us for whom it works, it's turning out to be pretty close to a wish come true.

LuckyDVL
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I am an IF newbie! I stumbled across the idea while browsing some internet forums. I've been on WW on and off for about 3 years. The first time I lost 40 lbs and made goal for about 30 sec before school stress caught up with me. I regained about 20 lbs. Now that I've graduated, I've been trying to focus on achieving my best body ever. The trouble is that I hate feeling like I'm living on alfalfa sprouts 24/7...

Probably the biggest eye-opener for me is that IF challenges everything I thought I knew about optimal nutrition. Which then made me question why I didn't question it before. I am even a research nurse - cited sources and reliable data matter to me in my work life, but for whatever reason I haven't held my sacred nutrition "knowledge" to the same rigorous standard.

I got a copy of Eat Stop Eat and am currently browsing some of the linked research. I have been all over the internet in the last couple of days and am very pleased to see how much IF is based on SCIENCE. I also heard the term 'broscience' for the first time. lol

I did my first 24h fast yesterday without really preparing for it. I woke up and decided I would try it, fears of evaporating from hunger be damned!

Well I've never been so surprised in my life to find that those horrible hunger pangs only last 2-3 minutes and then go away for a few hours. I felt GREAT. It was no problem to make it until supper. Then I ate a decent meal, and went for a run, and I set PRs for both pace and distance. Not to mention, it was SO FREEING to not worry about packing 10 tupperware containers around with me. I felt like a million bucks this morning.

I will be trying the ESE method for the month of March. I look forward to updating with my results!

Have a great day all :)

IanG
02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
This is so working for me because it is unbelievably simple. And, yes, my body has adjusted. Much less hunger. And I am sleeping better than ever before. Skin looks great too. This week I have started to max it out by eating healthier when I do eat. Salads. Yum. No sugar in coffee. Revolutionary for me.

To critics I will say that I was 281lbs so will do what the heck it takes! It's this or a heart attack. My doctor got the message.

saw
03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Hello everyone,
I have been trying everything to lose about 10lbs to no avail. I stumbled across IF and have been reading but still don't quite get it. Perhaps if I tell you a little about me those using it can chime in and tell me what might work best for me and how I can get started.
I am 42 5'2" and weigh 137lbs. I'd like to get under 130 preferably 125lbs. I go to the gym 4-5X week alternating a 1hr spinning class and a 1 hr body pump class. Never the same time every day as it varies with my work schedule. Somedays I work out in the morning and others its 6pm. I could definitely eat between say 12-8pm no problem but how many calories should I be eating in this window??? And so many IF's to choose from. Do you have to incorporate a weekly 24hr fast???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sue

TripSwitch
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone,
I have been trying everything to lose about 10lbs to no avail. I stumbled across IF and have been reading but still don't quite get it. Perhaps if I tell you a little about me those using it can chime in and tell me what might work best for me and how I can get started.
I am 42 5'2" and weigh 137lbs. I'd like to get under 130 preferably 125lbs. I go to the gym 4-5X week alternating a 1hr spinning class and a 1 hr body pump class. Never the same time every day as it varies with my work schedule. Somedays I work out in the morning and others its 6pm. I could definitely eat between say 12-8pm no problem but how many calories should I be eating in this window??? And so many IF's to choose from. Do you have to incorporate a weekly 24hr fast???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sue

I'm not sure I can be of much help... since I use IF as a weight management strategy and not for weight loss... for that restricting carbs made the most sense for me... so for me, what and how much of what I was eating was more important to my weight loss than when I was eating it... But what I like about IF is it provides me with a framework to eat less often... which is also how I can see it being beneficial to weight loss... If that is by eating less often it enables you to eat less overall...

IanG
03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I used to eat at crazy times of the day (e.g. dinner immediately before going to bed) so IF really helped me with that. Once I combined IF with a balanced diet, I really started to see the benefits. Some approaches are to eat what you want on IF but when I replaced that with healthier food I really started to see the benefits. I like the break it gives my digestive system too. I am sleeping so much better.

pattygirl63
03-03-2013, 03:45 AM
I am coming back to it IF. I like the 16/8 and eat between noon and 8 at night. Actually, when I was growing up, this was my "normal" way of eating and I was thin. Then everybody convinced me I needed to eat 3 meals a day. Had a friend who was a dietician and when I gained so much weight, I asked her to write out a diet for me. She sent me a diet with 3 meals and 3 snacks. I told my hubby, "If I eat all that weight, I'll gain weight instead of lose". When I was thin, I never ate breakfast. I usually ate only 1 or 2 meals or 1 meal and a snack. Everybody fussed because I didn't eat enough. Then when I did eat "healthy", they would fuss because I needed to lose weight.

I finally decided like someone else said here that I know carrying all this weight is unhealthy and I don't care that some people think not eating breakfast or not eating as many meals is unhealthy. It is what I think that counts and I'll choose to eat only 8 hrs a day and I like the Intuitive Eating way of eating where I can eat what I really like to eat and eat only as much as it takes to satisfy me and enjoy eating better. At the same time, I have to admit that I really like mostly low carb eating best. IF, IE and low carbing works together very well for me.

Porthardygurl
03-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Ok i have a question..I eat between 12-6pm ...is it okay to be hungry? I mean..I dont seem to get hungry before 12 but after 6..usually around 8 or 9..my hunger kicks in and i get stomach pains...i stick it through and dont eat but still...does this ever go away??? Is it okay to feel hungry? Is your body not starving? If we ate lots between 12 and 6..then why would i be hungry between 8 and 9? Shouldnt i be full from eating?

pattygirl63
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I used to eat at crazy times of the day (e.g. dinner immediately before going to bed) so IF really helped me with that. Once I combined IF with a balanced diet, I really started to see the benefits. Some approaches are to eat what you want on IF but when I replaced that with healthier food I really started to see the benefits. I like the break it gives my digestive system too. I am sleeping so much better.

I like the break it gives my digestive system too. It was one of the main benefits that brought me back to it. Since you mentioned it, I notice that I am starting to eat more balanced with healthier foods even carbs as I do believe that there are certain carby foods my body needs. Hadn't thought about it until I read your post, but I do seem more satisfied longer when I do include them. I'll have to observe more of how I feel when eating certain foods.

TripSwitch
03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Ok i have a question..I eat between 12-6pm ...is it okay to be hungry? I mean..I dont seem to get hungry before 12 but after 6..usually around 8 or 9..my hunger kicks in and i get stomach pains...i stick it through and dont eat but still...does this ever go away??? Is it okay to feel hungry? Is your body not starving? If we ate lots between 12 and 6..then why would i be hungry between 8 and 9? Shouldnt i be full from eating?

I have this happen too... I actually tried to do a little bit of research on why this happens in general and not just within the context of IF... and there are actual physiological reasons for this phenomenon that are explained by hunger signals being triggered after the stomach has emptied and don't necessarily mean that you haven't eaten enough... I try to make my meals pretty energy dense with a fair amount of fat and protein which helps and then I just try to do my best to deal with the "hunger" that I might experience later in the evening by reminding myself that it's not "real" hunger in the sense that I know I've eaten enough for the day and I'm certainly not starving by any stretch of the imagination... Also when I get the urge to eat later in evening after my "window" has closed I tell myself the "KITCHEN IS CLOSED" and eating right now is not part of the plan that has been working for me so far... and it will not move me closer to my goal... and not only that, but it will probably wind up interfering with my sleep as well... and I find that even pretty intense "hunger pangs" will pass after about 20 minutes or so...

pattygirl63
03-03-2013, 05:29 PM

I am curious to see how others answer your question. I tried doing a 5 hr window in the begining, however, I seem to need to extend my window to 8 hrs usually from noon to 8pm was because I know that I am a nighttime eater for some reason. I plan to keep it flexible... I'm leaning that there are days that I may do an 8 hr from 11 to 7 or 1 or 2 till 9. Sometimes it is a 5 hr window or an 8 hr window are somewhere in between. I never go over 8 hrs, but I'm not going to make myself eat for 8 hrs if I'm not hungry. Seldom do I feel real hunger after 8 hr window. I find that the hunger I usually feel is from a habit and it isn't real. I focus on something else ad wait a few minutes and it passes. However, if I was truly hungry, I would have no problem eating if I really felt I needed to. That is why I combine my IF plan with IE. It just seems to work for me and keeps me from going off plan. I think everyone has to figure out their own way of doing this in a way that works for them that they can live with. My doctor told me that any diet will work, but the key is learnig which one you can live with. It has to become a lifystyle, not a diet plan, Good luck finding yours.

IanG
03-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl

I eat beteen 7am and 1pm. Yes, I get hungry some evenings (it really depends on what I eat as my lunch) but by the time I go to bed it has gone and I do not feel hungry while sleeping or even when I wake up. Then it's breakfast.

My doctor does not particularly like me skipping dinner. We both didn't like me being 280lbs. But it is my way, or the highway.

I did have some 'tight' tummy feelings in the beginning but they have mostly passed.

IF is for me because I used to find myself eating dinner when I was not really that hungry. It was then I realised that this might work for me.

Valeriao
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I have followed IF for 30 days without a break. My eating window is 12 pm to 5 pm (19/5). My hunger has diminished. Sometimes I feel hunger in the morning around 3 am. I take a sip of water and try to go back to sleep. After I wake up, I exercise and sip on hot tea until 12 pm.

teaforme
03-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Hi! I will join you! I was going to start South Beach tomorrow...then I watched the news tonight with an amazing segment on The Fast Diet book, which is a form of IF. 500 calories (for women) twice a week, and eat normally the other 5. One of the things that attracted me is that I'm sick of counting, weighing, measuring food. Even with South Beach, you still have the restriction of their food lists.

I can handle counting 500 calories of food twice a week, but I'm hoping that just eating normally the other 5 (without counting) will work for me. We'll see.

I ordered The Fast Diet and 5:2 Diet books from amazon and will get them on Wednesday. So happy to have found you!

Applespiceit
03-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Going to try IF again but I crave sugar at night. Does anyone else have this issue? And how do you work around it?
Thanks

IanG
03-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I crave beer and, calorie for calorie, there's about a chocolate bar in each.

So, you could try a healthy breakfast, a healthly lunch and ONLY a normal-sized candy bar for dinner. Combined with some light exercise, I'd bet you lose weight.

nimmimoorthy
03-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Iam new to this site and I like the idea of IF.

But what shall i do if i feel hungry in between. I get head aches.

CabernetKitty
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Iam new to this site and I like the idea of IF.

But what shall i do if i feel hungry in between. I get head aches.
I asked a bodybuilder friend of mine who practices intermittent fasting...he said you just deal with the discomfort and it gets easier.

Valeriao
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
During my fasting hours, I drink hot tea or water to quiet my grumbling stomach. If your headaches continue, I would have it check out. Or change your eating window. There are several different protocols based on people’s needs, lifestyle, exercise, goal and so forth. Check out the following sites for more information: www.theiflife.com www.PrescisionNutrition.com, www.Fast-5.com.

Porthardygurl
03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Hmm..just read the Fast 5 diet and wow!! Very cool! Though i wonder why he advocates between 5 and 10pm and not 12 and 5pm?

kelleyb
03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Port- because most people enjoy eating in the evening with their families and it is when many social situations take place. During the day, many people are busy and don't think as much about food.

I get headaches too sometimes while fasting and when I do, I usually just suffer through it OR ease up and eat earlier than I had planned on.

ChloeG
03-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Hi,

I am doing one meal a day and I love it! I started by having a protein drink in the morning (110 calories) and eating about 4 hours later. Now, I don't need the protein drink.

After a few days, the hunger went away. Even when I was hungry, it was very manageable. A drink of water, when I was truly hungry, did the trick. Don't be afraid of hunger. It comes in a wave and goes away.

I've read Fast-5. Fast Diet, 5:2 Diet, Eat Stop Eat, the Warrior Diet and various blogs. For me, I could eat too many calories in a 5-hour span and wouldn't lose weight. I like the idea of the health benefits from fasting 1 - 3 days a week but, for me, one day at a time.

There is so much proved science to support the health benefits of fasting and absolutely nothing at all for minimeals. Personally, I think multiple meals can cause disordered eating - you're either planning meals, thinking about food because you are hungry, or cooking/preparing food. And having to do meticulous calorie counting (unless low-carb or something like that). Who wants to think about food all of the time?

Porthardygurl
03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
See im confused....according to my APA Pschology college text...it says cutting meals like breakfast along with a significant caloriedeficit results in fatigue semi starvation and lowers your BMR...so i dont get it...which person is right? Fast 5? Or my college Psychology textbook?

CherryQuinn
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Has anyone here done a water fast/juice fast? I'm not talking the 40 day long ones, but a few days to break through a bouncing number on the scale and flush water weight?

TripSwitch
03-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Has anyone here done a water fast/juice fast? I'm not talking the 40 day long ones, but a few days to a week, to break through a bouncing number on the scale and flush water weight?

I've done quite few... although it's been a few years... I did the Master Cleanse once which is basically water with some lemon squeezed in it and a little bit of maple syrup and cayenne.. and I've done lots of different juice "fasts" where you juice all your own fruits and veggies... I still have a bunch of books lying around, but one that I remember that I think had some half way decent advice in it was called "The Detox Diet"... but I can't remember the author... and also this little book called "The Fasting Handbook" which was very short, almost like a pamphlet really... but it had some really basic and simple and short fasts that were easy to follow... but sorry, I don't remember the author on that one either... but I'll see if can dig them up... might be worth taking a look at...

I currently do 24hr fasts in addition to my IF routine where I stop eating at 6pm and then don't eat again until after 6pm on the following day... this way even though you are going 24hrs without food you are still eating something each day... from what I've read so far when it comes to IF there doesn't seem to be any added benefit pass the 36hr mark... although I have seen diets that have you fast for 48hrs to put you into ketosis to "jumpstart" weight loss and get the scale moving...

And I'm not trying to be discouraging because I actually think fasting has it's place in treating certain things... I just don't think it offers much benefit when it comes to dieting and weight loss... I mean it will probably get that bouncing scale to move in the right direction for you... but just be prepared if it 'bounces" back when you done...

hopebewild
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
See im confused....according to my APA Pschology college text...it says cutting meals like breakfast along with a significant caloriedeficit results in fatigue semi starvation and lowers your BMR...so i dont get it...which person is right? Fast 5? Or my college Psychology textbook?

You should not have a significant calorie deficit every day with intermittant fasting.

CherryQuinn
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I've done quite few... although it's been a few years... I did the Master Cleanse once which is basically water with some lemon squeezed in it and a little bit of maple syrup and cayenne.. and I've done lots of different juice "fasts" where you juice all your own fruits and veggies... I still have a bunch of books lying around, but one that I remember that I think had some half way decent advice in it was called "The Detox Diet"... but I can't remember the author... and also this little book called "The Fasting Handbook" which was very short, almost like a pamphlet really... but it had some really basic and simple and short fasts that were easy to follow... but sorry, I don't remember the author on that one either... but I'll see if can dig them up... might be worth taking a look at...

I currently do 24hr fasts in addition to my IF routine where I stop eating at 6pm and then don't eat again until after 6pm on the following day... this way even though you are going 24hrs without food you are still eating something each day... from what I've read so far when it comes to IF there doesn't seem to be any added benefit pass the 36hr mark... although I have seen diets that have you fast for 48hrs to put you into ketosis to "jumpstart" weight loss and get the scale moving...

And I'm not trying to be discouraging because I actually think fasting has it's place in treating certain things... I just don't think it offers much benefit when it comes to dieting and weight loss... I mean it will probably get that bouncing scale to move in the right direction for you... but just be prepared if it 'bounces" back when you done...

I am worried itll just be false results and itll bounce back but scientifically I cant see how its possible, say I fast for 3 days to get the water weight off and lose a bit extra to get out of this bouncingness and then I'm eating at my normal 1k calorie deficit again (slowly work up to it of course not 0 cals to 1200 cals in one day lol) I wouldn't be eating enough to regain weight, though I suppose I could rebloat a few lbs

TripSwitch
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I am worried itll just be false results and itll bounce back but scientifically I cant see how its possible, say I fast for 3 days to get the water weight off and lose a bit extra to get out of this bouncingness and then I'm eating at my normal 1k calorie deficit again (slowly work up to it of course not 0 cals to 1200 cals in one day lol) I wouldn't be eating enough to regain weight, though I suppose I could rebloat a few lbs

If we take "water" weight out of the equation... I guess here is how I would look at it... I'm not exactly sure what your BMR is... But whatever your BMR calories are for the day x 3 days would maybe be what I would expect to see for an actual loss, so I guess it could add up to 1.5 to 2lbs? When I've done the two 24hr fasts in a week... the 6pm to 6pm thing that I mentioned... that was good for about one pound of actual weight loss for the week...

Actually I found when I wanted to flush some water weight and jump start the scale in the right direction... a one to two week pretty strict PSMF would do the trick and be good for taking off a few of those pesky "scale" pounds... Even just a one week PSMF might do what you want and it would probably be easier than a 3 day fast... So it might be something to consider...

CherryQuinn
03-06-2013, 01:43 PM
If we take "water" weight out of the equation... I guess here is how I would look at it... I'm not exactly sure what your BMR is... But whatever your BMR calories are for the day x 3 days would maybe be what I would expect to see for an actual loss, so I guess it could add up to 1.5 to 2lbs? When I've done the two 24hr fasts in a week... the 6pm to 6pm thing that I mentioned... that was good for about one pound of actual weight loss for the week...

Actually I found when I wanted to flush some water weight and jump start the scale in the right direction... a one to two week pretty strict PSMF would do the trick and be good for taking off a few of those pesky "scale" pounds... Even just a one week PSMF might do what you want and it would probably be easier than a 3 day fast... So it might be something to consider...

Im new to fasting so I have no idea what psmf means :(

ChloeG
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Unfortunately, that portion of your textbook is based in pseudo-science. If starvation mode were true, then those poor people during WWII would have blown up like refrigerators but they died. And people die from anorexia.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

My calorie intake is between 800 - 1200 a day. It will remain so. Once you are small, you really don't need a lot of calories, even with exercise.

LuckyDVL
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM

What would a psych textbook know about metabolism and nutrition? Not trying to be snarky! But it seems to be a truism that nutrition "info" gets repeated so much it becomes true, regardless of the facts. Not to mention that any textbook, regardless of how new it is, is at least a few years out of date with regards to new research.

Check out some of the studies being linked to intermittent fasting. Check out some of the websites referenced in this thread. From what I've seen, IF is solidly grounded in data.

TripSwitch
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Im new to fasting so I have no idea what psmf means :(

Sorry... a PSMF stands for Protein Sparing Modified Fast... I'm not exactly sure what a google search on "PSMF" will turn up... and even though programs like IP (Ideal Protein) and Medifast are essentially PSMF's... those definitely aren't my cup of tea, so to speak... and you can easily put together your own plan with actual real food (just not that much of it... lol..) I think if you google "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook PDF. " you can take a look at that one to get an idea of how to put one together... if it looks like something that makes sense for you... for me I can only handle about a week or two on one... just too restrictive for me I guess... I'm not sure what kind of plan you're following now... but I consider a "PSMF" pretty "hardcore" when it comes to dieting... so that's why I only used it for very short periods... I guess sort of like the idea of "induction" when it comes to low carbing... so it might be a bit of overkill so to speak for what you want to do... I'm not sure...

Porthardygurl
03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
What time of the day do you all prefer to eat between? Are you doing 5 hour food period or are you doing 6 or 8? How many hours are you fasting?

Cause the other thing someone was asking me is " Wouldn't you get fatigued or exhausted from not eating breakfast or anything in the morning??" I dont know how to answer this question?

IanG
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
" Wouldn't you get fatigued or exhausted from not eating breakfast or anything in the morning??" I dont know how to answer this question?

You got to do what works for you. Yes, I would get fatigued without breakfast. But I don't miss skipping dinner. Everyone is different and you have to work with the IF schedule that works for you.

ChloeG
03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm one of those people whom eating breakfast makes me hungry, no matter what I have. I have a motto: the less I eat, the less I eat.

I have more energy from not eating. I fast 23 hours a day. I only get hungry once a day now, if that.

I like the fact that I am losing 3 pounds a week most weeks and am not obsessed with dieting/food.

Regarding energy, I workout almost every day doing HIIT, weight training, etc. I wouldn't have been able to do that in the past on an empty stomach but my body has adjusted.

That's the thing: you can train your body to eat once a day, or in a 5-hour stretch or whatnot.

KrisM394
03-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm glad I found this thread! I didn't really have a "name" for what I was doing, but I do know this -- this method is one of the only things that works for me as far as curbing my binge eating (virtually eliminating it) and losing weight. I usually just drink some juice in the a.m., have a substantial lunch (w/o restrictions and pretty much whatever I want) and a very light dinner (if any). I find that keeps my calories around 13-1400 on average and I don't have the bingeing behavior that used to prevent me from losing weight consistantly. I dont know why that is other than I'm not restricting, but I haven't read a lot about this.

ChloeG
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm glad I found this thread! I didn't really have a "name" for what I was doing, but I do know this -- this method is one of the only things that works for me as far as curbing my binge eating (virtually eliminating it) and losing weight. I usually just drink some juice in the a.m., have a substantial lunch (w/o restrictions and pretty much whatever I want) and a very light dinner (if any). I find that keeps my calories around 13-1400 on average and I don't have the bingeing behavior that used to prevent me from losing weight consistantly. I dont know why that is other than I'm not restricting, but I haven't read a lot about this.

I bet your blood sugar is more stable and, hence, no desire to binge. I wouldn't be able to do the juice because I'd have an insulin spike but I don't have to follow low-carb on one meal a day either. So, I'm very happy about that.

KrisM394
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I bet your blood sugar is more stable and, hence, no desire to binge. I wouldn't be able to do the juice because I'd have an insulin spike but I don't have to follow low-carb on one meal a day either. So, I'm very happy about that.

That's interesting you say that because I would think it would be the opposite (causing unstable blood sugar), but like I said, I really have not done any research/reading regarding it. I just knew that I had to go back to this because my binge eating was preventing me from getting back to a healthy weight. Plus, I simply feel better when I eat this way. It seems contrary to all of the usual diet advice (which is why I've fought with myself about going back to this method), but ... it works for me, so unless it starts causing adverse effects, I'm sticking with it. Although, there's NO way it can be as unhealthy as the binge eating I was doing, so that alone is a step up.

I should also say, I sip the juice all morning; I'll fill up a glass with ice and cranberry or grape juice and it will last me three hours.

ChloeG
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
That's interesting you say that because I would think it would be the opposite (causing unstable blood sugar), but like I said, I really have not done any research/reading regarding it. I just knew that I had to go back to this because my binge eating was preventing me from getting back to a healthy weight. Plus, I simply feel better when I eat this way. It seems contrary to all of the usual diet advice (which is why I've fought with myself about going back to this method), but ... it works for me, so unless it starts causing adverse effects, I'm sticking with it. Although, there's NO way it can be as unhealthy as the binge eating I was doing, so that alone is a step up.

I should also say, I sip the juice all morning; I'll fill up a glass with ice and cranberry or grape juice and it will last me three hours.

Blood sugar levels can improve with fasting because eating causes the blood sugar to rise and drop again. And if someone eats minimeals, they are likely to produce more insulin, therefore, more hunger due to entrainment.

From Martin Berkhan's website (leangains):

"What about blood sugar and hunger? Blood sugar is one of many short-term feedback mechanisms used to regulate hunger and the notion which exists to say that low blood sugar may cause hunger is correct. Low just means lower range. This is subject to numerous confounders, such as your habitual diet, energy intake and genetics. Most importantly perhaps, it's subject to entrained meal patterns, regulated by ghrelin and other metabolic hormones. In essence, this means that blood sugar follows the meal pattern you are used to. This is relevant for those who fear blood sugar issues and hunger from regular periods of fasting, as it serves to explain why people can easily adapt to regular periods of fasting without negative effects."

TripSwitch
03-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm not diabetic... nor even pre diabetic for that matter... but I was starting to show the tell tail signs of metabolic syndrome... and my fasting blood sugars were in the 90's which is "normal" but still on the higher side of where I would have liked them, especially since there is some evidence that suggests that fasting blood sugars on the lower side of normal are associated with less risk of developing diabetes and heart disease... and even though I did make some changes to my diet and start to get a little bit more exercise than I had been... I really think IF was a big part of lowering my fasting blood sugar numbers which are now in the high 70's to low 80's... which I'm very happy about since that is associated with lower risk of eventually developing diabetes and heart disease... So I definitely think there is something to it...

betsy2013
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Has anyone else tried combining the 8 Hour followed by the Fast 5 on the weekends? I've been thinking about doing that because I don't go to the gym on the weekends and that seems to be when my weight just stays stable. I've had to adjust my 8 hour eating window because I just didn't have the strength needed to go to the gym and I like to do that in the morning. So, now I have a 9-5 window during the week and am going to try for 500 calories/day on the weekends. Of course, this is the first weekend and the grands are coming, so it will be a challenge!

On a happier note, I've found a way to incorporate 3-4 beers per week into my plan. ;) I use them as a hair conditioner as the hops in beer really help to strengthen your hair and make it shiny. So, I keep a case of beer in my bathroom -- it's a real fashion statement -- and have a couple of empty beer cans in the shower (visions of a college frat room!). I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but when I smell that beer being poured over my head, I feel as though I'm getting away with a little cheat -- the sense of smell is pretty powerful! :devil:

IanG
03-08-2013, 12:40 PM
What a waste of good beer. I am in tears.

ArtyKay
03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
On a happier note, I've found a way to incorporate 3-4 beers per week into my plan. ;) I use them as a hair conditioner as the hops in beer really help to strengthen your hair and make it shiny. So, I keep a case of beer in my bathroom -- it's a real fashion statement -- and have a couple of empty beer cans in the shower (visions of a college frat room!). I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but when I smell that beer being poured over my head, I feel as though I'm getting away with a little cheat -- the sense of smell is pretty powerful! :devil:

I'd rather take the beer internally. I always have a beer or two at night. :dizzy:

So I'm going to try IF again. Calorie counting just isn't cutting it for me, and as a previous poster said, I think IF goes along with my natural eating rhythm anyway. I've never eaten breakfast. I sip hot tea all morning.

Lunch is my biggest problem. Since I've started my new 8-5 job I binge at lunch a lot of the time.

IanG
03-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Yes, I enjoy a couple of West Coast IPAs in the evening. I call it my beer diet.

betsy2013
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Oh man. If I had a couple of beers a month -- let alone a day -- it would do me in diet wise. Guess I'll just have to settle for the aroma. The beer I'm using on the hair is the cheapest they sell so I don't feel like I'm missing much. :smug:

JohnP
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Beer - the reason I will never see a set of well defined abs. :D

IanG
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Yes John. And the problem with that is?

Silver Sky
03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I did IF for a long time and it really worked for me, but according to some of the things I've been reading, it may not be such a good idea for women. That's why I stopped.

paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

A female body works very differently than a male body.

amandie
03-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Interesting article, Silver sky. Thanks for sharing that. I unfornately had to stop due to possible gallbladder issues as well as acid reflux, ugh.

TripSwitch
03-11-2013, 09:37 AM
I've also been hearing how IF might not be the best thing for women too... and that they should stick to a 14/10 or less approach... if at all... and actually I don't use IF for weight loss... I use it more for and overall maintenance strategy to keep my calories in check... I also like it because I feel it gives my digestive system a little bit more "down time" which I really think has made a big difference in my sleep quality... and it has seemed to have helped in lowering blood sugar numbers for me... which even though I'm not diabetic or prediabetic, I did have some tell tail signs of the beginnings of metabolic syndrome, so I wanted to see if I could make a difference on that front... Since there is some evidence that blood sugars kept on the lower side of normal might be associated with lower risk of developing diabetes and heart disease... things that I'm concerned about because of my family history...

So I definitely see IF as more of an adjunct when it comes to dieting... and people really need to have their nutrition and exercise "dialed in" so to speak before adding IF to the mix... and even then it needs to be taken in context of what is going on in that particular individual... So definitely not a "one size fits all" sort of thing.... especially when it comes to women...

IanG
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I must admit that, even as a man, I have had to really adjust what I am eating with IF to ensure I am getting enough nutrition including a daily vitamin tablet which is something I never used to do. But that's not bad considering the **** I used to eat! I love them salads now!

amandie
03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I've also been hearing how IF might not be the best thing for women too... and that they should stick to a 14/10 or less approach...

Really? That is basically what I am doing right now, the 14/10 approach. I have to spread out my meals/snacks since I cannot have too much fat in one sitting. It was a bit weird going from 2 big meals plus maybe a snack or two to eating all day, lol. It wasn't too hard to keep calories in check because I was feeling sick at the time and have now adopted that habit to take it easy. :crossed:

I have to admit I am glad I tried IF because I learned that being hungry (after eating all my calories) and going to bed hungry will not kill me.

TripSwitch
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Really? That is basically what I am doing right now, the 14/10 approach. I have to spread out my meals/snacks since I cannot have too much fat in one sitting. It was a bit weird going from 2 big meals plus maybe a snack or two to eating all day, lol. It wasn't too hard to keep calories in check because I was feeling sick at the time and have now adopted that habit to take it easy. :crossed:

I have to admit I am glad I tried IF because I learned that being hungry (after eating all my calories) and going to bed hungry will not kill me.

Hi amandie... most of what I've been hearing when it comes to women and IF has been anecdotal and coming from blogs out in the paleosphere... so I'm still waiting to see the research behind what a lot of people are saying when it comes to IF... but that actually goes for men as well as women... I'll have to do some more digging to see what I can come up with it...

I've actually dropped my IF down to 14/10 every once and awhile because of my workout schedule... and I can't imagine I'm losing that much benefit with just a two hour difference from what I normally do on those days... And actually for me going beyond 12 hours without eating is a huge victory for me, since I used to be eating dinner at 8 or 9pm, plus late night snacking, and then eating breakfast at like 6 AM the next morning... So to have finally broken myself of that is like a freedom that I never thought was even possible... like you said... just learning that being hungry sometimes is not going to kill us was worth it in and of itself...

JohnP
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM
I've not read enough about women having trouble IFing but there seem to be some common trends. Generally speaking they have 2 or more of the following things in common:

Low body fat
Workout intensely
Eat Paleo

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying - I really have no clue how any of this ties together (if it does at all) but there seems to be a combo of factors that a female body doesn't like.

Martin Berkhan does have many of his female clients follow a 14/10.

I suppose from an evolutionary stand point it would reason that males are better adapted to periods of fasting.

Interesting stuff...

TripSwitch
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I've not read enough about women having trouble IFing but there seem to be some common trends. Generally speaking they have 2 or more of the following things in common:

Low body fat
Workout intensely
Eat Paleo

Since my approach to all of those things is pretty half-a**** hopefully I don't have too much to worry about... :D

hopebewild
03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I right now am not following a set window again. But I eat only 1 meal and 1snack, or 2meals and one snack. No more grazing! Except for TOM, that's a whole other story lol

krampus
03-11-2013, 09:46 PM
IF is awesome, this has been my day:

Lunch/MEEEEAL:
-Greek yogurt
-Can of tuna, 1.5 servings edamame beans, 1/3 avocado, kale, 1 hard boiled egg
-Quest protein bar

Dinner:
-1 hard boiled egg
-Turkey burger
-Whole bag frozen veggies with garlic seasoning, sesame oil
-Some coconut milk rice and tofu/kale/caramelized onion mix my roommate made
-Barely any room left for chocolate and sea salt coated almonds

(I'm maintaining)

Zumbachica
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd like to start IF but I am a bit overwhelmed about how to do it. Do I have to buy a book or is there a website I can go to? can I just have a s mall breakfast and small dinner or do I need to eat all my calories within a certain number of hours? I work out so I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to train if I do this.......

sacha
03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
IF as a woman works great for me.

I have 2 very young children (2.5 & 4 months), I just can't sit down and eat 5-6 meals per day like I could before them (the 2.5 year old sure, but not the 4 month old).

So, 1-2 meals a day is PERFECT for me. I get all my nutrition/calorie counts and don't have to waste time cooking so many damn meals & counting constantly. And that main meal can be the family meal, which I have to do anyways.

I actually am just back from a 2 week hiatus from IF. I got a terrible cold & then bronchitis, I couldn't eat and my milk supply plummeted, so I went on the see-food diet and ate like a beast 24/7 for a few days to get it back (hey I have my priorities, 4 month old has to eat too!).

So today is back to IF, and I'm happy for it!

sacha
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
RE: women and IF

I would agree a lot of them are desiring an unnaturally low body fat (which is very hard to maintain), rigid Paleo, or excessive training. "Normal" women don't just go do IF (although I would argue lots of women do this naturally without even knowing what it is called!!!), but the women who specifically do "IF" are the ones who will do other things to mess with their hormones too...

"IF" for the average woman is just "oh, I'm so busy with the kids today, then I had to work, I skipped breakfast & lunch again and now I have to eat dinner with the family... I'll take 3 servings instead!". And yet, she's fine.

Zumbachica
03-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Two lbs in two days...this is working!

AppundanceTim
03-16-2013, 06:27 AM
I'd like to start IF but I am a bit overwhelmed about how to do it. Do I have to buy a book or is there a website I can go to? can I just have a s mall breakfast and small dinner or do I need to eat all my calories within a certain number of hours? I work out so I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to train if I do this.......

There are several ways to fast. You should go to your doctor first to make sure it's safe for you.

The easiest way is to fast 1 day a week for 24 hours. So let's say you eat breakfast at 7am on Monday. You fast for 24 hours and start at 7am on Tuesday.

TripSwitch
03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
For the 24hr fasts that I've done I've used the 6pm to 6pm plan... So for instance... Let's say you eat a normal amount on a Monday and stop eating by 6pm and then fast till 6pm on Tuesday... When you would have a normal dinner... This way even though you are fasting for 24hrs... You are still getting to eat something on each day that you are doing the 24hr fast...

But I think the easiest way to start with IF is just to start going 12 to 14hrs from the time you eat dinner to the time you eat again... And then slowly extending that to 16hrs... So that you work your way up to a 16/8 routine and then if you want to possibly extend from there, but you definitely don't have to... If you're using IF to lose weight... Then realize that it's just a strategy to reduce overall calorie consumption.... which yes, may have some other added benefits, but unless it's helping you to eat less since you would be eating less often... It just doesn't make much sense, at least from a weight loss perspective...

Zumbachica
03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Its definitely helping me to eat less because I am only having one "big" meal a day , my second meal is more like a snack. Last time I ate I had a protein shake, so that was less than 200 calories. I'm trying not to count calories but I want to make sure that I have enough to sustain me through vigorous workouts. I am doing this to lose weight at this point, not maintain so eating a lot during a certain number of hours is not going to help me.....I could easily overeat within that time frame. I know that every day is going to be different, there may be days I go out for dinner with friends and eat more calories. I think I'm going to stick with what i'm doing now and that is eat two meals a day when my body tells me that I'm hungry and not eat anything after five or six o'clock.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

esmi134
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Hello everybody,
I would like to be part of this forum as I follow Fast 5 so that I am motivated to do it like I did before I had my baby in December. I lost 15lb in 7 weeks before getting pregnant and loved it.
So here I am again, I gained 40lbs with my baby and Ive lost 20lb so far. I feel like I have to relearn this but I know that I can.
Have a great monday!
I weighed this morning and the scale says 160.

Valeriao
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Welcomeback esmi134

esmi134
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
:thanks:

carrieanne6
03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone. I learned about intermittent fasting from reading about the book, The 8 Hour Diet, online at another weight loss forum. From there I ordered the book from Amazon, and for the last few months I have been keeping an 8 hour eating window, usually from 10 to 6 or 11 to 7. I have not been actually following a weight losing diet - to the contrary, I've had an unusual few months of heavy eating - lots of social things, vacations, and not really caring what I eat. The amazing thing for me is that I haven't gained an ounce during that time. I should have gained at least a few pounds, or more. Sometimes a few days would go by where I was eating less for whatever reason, and my weight would drop a lb. or two! But I always picked the eating back up and that lb. or two would return, but no more than that. I think if I actually picked a plan and followed it, combined with the IF, it would work really well. My weight is in the healthy weight range for my height, and I am older and female, so usually it's way too easy to gain and way too hard to lose. I used to say that I had to be PERFECT on any program for 6 months to lose 5 lbs. I think that might not be true if I'm also doing IF, I only have to DO it and see. I also work for Weight Watchers, so I only have to stick to the program which is so easily at my disposal and combine it with IF. I'm hoping being here in this forum will help!

Valeriao
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Hello everyone. Today, I started my 24 hour fast. Tomorrow, I will continue my Fast-5 (19/5) days. I have been suffering from a cold. This is my way of rebooting and getting back on track.

TripSwitch
03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I've been feeling the need for a 24hr fast lately for some reason... not really sure why... But I've had pretty heavy workouts today... and I have really heavy workouts tomorrow, so it will have to wait until I finish all of my workouts tomorrow and I could start it after dinner... Which is how I like to do 24hr fasts anyway... usually from 6pm one day to 6pm the next day... That's the easiest for me... And then right back into my regular 16/8 routine...

betsy2013
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I've been on an 8 hour eating approach -- originally from noon to 8 PM. But some recent health issues -- NOT BROUGHT ON BY THE DIET!!!! -- forced me to take medication at 9 AM and the pills must be taken with food. Now I've switched to 9-5 as my eating window. I was really worried that I would fail because evening snacking has always been my downfall.

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm having no problems as I'm full and have finally gotten to the point where I eat only when I'm truly hungry -- which just isn't that often any more. I love this IF approach to eating, and will probably remain on it once I'm in maintenance because it much better fits my normal eating preferences.

SunnySide99
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I've been feeling the need for a 24hr fast lately for some reason... not really sure why...

Me too! I don't do them often, but I'm doing my 4th - 24 hour fast now and I'm approaching hour 23. Had a workout around noon and I have my weight training class tonight. I feel fantastic! :carrot:

IanG
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I'd like to try a 24 hour fast. At the weekends I often come close, skipping breakfast and dinner and just having lunch. But I have never done the Full Monty.

krampus
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I have no interest whatsoever in 24 hour fasts (unless I'm sleeping or using uppers or something).

TripSwitch
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I have no interest whatsoever in 24 hour fasts (unless I'm sleeping or using uppers or something).

:rofl:

TripSwitch
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
When I do a 24hr fast I just eat normally on the day that I'm going to start the fast and try to finish up all of my eating by around 6pm... and than I don't eat anything until 6pm the following day... and than I have a nice dinner and usually a little something else in the early part of the evening and than stop eating between 8 and 10pm... and than just get back with my regular IF routine the next day... That's the easiest way that I've found to do it so far...

JohnP
04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
I do 24 hour fasts a 2-3 times a month. It's usually an accident because I'm so busy I'll notice I'm at 20 hours and I just decide to push through so I can say I did a 24 hour fast for the internet bragging rights - or something. :D

IanG
04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure I could make it through a full 24 hours although you guys are really putting on the pressure to make me try. Especially krampus. Uppers and a 24 hour fast sounds awesome!

Remington90
04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
This lifestyle has had me knew deep in websites and articles and I'm very intrigued. I've started this diet today and although its only day one, I'm fairly confident. My only question is long term. I can see myself easily maintaining this approach for a long while. And while I'm in my 'weight loss' phase, ill stick to it to a T, however once I'm in maintenance, and I able to have a few drinks? A crazy night out? A family vacation where I stick to the window but not necessarily the healthiest choices ? I'm not good at explaining. I guess what I'm getting at is, are some random Saturdays (given they're not EVERY Saturday) I can go out with my friends, drink a bottle of wine and pick myself back up the next day... Going to damage progress ?

I still feel like I'm not making sense. Sigh.

IanG
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
This lifestyle has had me knew deep in websites and articles and I'm very intrigued. I've started this diet today and although its only day one, I'm fairly confident. My only question is long term. I can see myself easily maintaining this approach for a long while. And while I'm in my 'weight loss' phase, ill stick to it to a T, however once I'm in maintenance, and I able to have a few drinks? A crazy night out? A family vacation where I stick to the window but not necessarily the healthiest choices ? I'm not good at explaining. I guess what I'm getting at is, are some random Saturdays (given they're not EVERY Saturday) I can go out with my friends, drink a bottle of wine and pick myself back up the next day... Going to damage progress ?

Er, I drink beer most nights while losing. And not just one either.

With IF I have just skipped dinner. While I am losing I make sure my other meals are calorie controlled which, for me, means a light breakfast and a big salad lunch.

When I reach maintenance I will still skip dinner but become a bit more creative with lunch and breakfast, mixing it up a little - sometimes including what you call "not the healthiest choices." My intention is to skip dinner forever. There will be very occasional evenings when I do eat dinner, but for the most part dinner is gone (or I will adjust and skip lunch on those days instead).

The scale will guide me on maintenance. I will weigh myself (almost) daily for the rest of my life.

And I will always take a daily multi-vitamin (belt and breeches, just in case!).

KTucke7
04-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello again! I just realized that I hadn't checked the forum in months. I'm still around and I'm still cruising at maintenance on Fast-5. :)

krampus
04-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure I could make it through a full 24 hours although you guys are really putting on the pressure to make me try. Especially krampus. Uppers and a 24 hour fast sounds awesome!

Of course, there's the couple days after the 24 hour fast where you shove 500000 calories into your face just to feel human.

http://img3.lsistatic.com/members/739146/drugs_are_bad_mmkay.jpg

Maintenance has seriously been CAKE and ICE CREAM for me (no pun intended) eating 16:8 M-F and whenever on weekends. I'm approaching a year soon!

surfergirl2
04-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone. I don't do IF but i thought you guys might be able to relate to this problem (really it's just an imagined problem at this point). I do prefer to eat a little lighter during the day, and eat a big meal at night. I might eat 1000 calories for dinner, so i might eat, for example, 3 hardboiled eggs, a chicken thigh, a bowl of soup, a bunch of vegetables, and a huge bowl of oatmeal. That's a lot of food!!! My question is, i'm afraid to do this in a social setting (or for example, if i am ever in a relationship again). Do you feel weird eating your huge meal in front of others?

IanG
04-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Yes. At lunch my salads have been ma-hassive. So much so that they are embarassing to buy. People queuing in the line behind me often comment on my salads as being the largest they have ever seen. The one I bought yesterday weighed 2 pounds! Consequently I try to carry them in a paper bag and often eat alone (which is not healthy socially). Most people do not know I am doing IF so I can't tell them that it's dinner too.

But the size of my salads has made me realise that I need to get my portions under control with IF. So I am going to work on having more normal sized meals. Today my salad weighed just 1lb. It should be enough to get me through the day.

surfergirl2
04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes. At lunch my salads have been ma-hassive. So much so that they are embarassing to buy. People queuing in the line behind me often comment on my salads as being the largest they have ever seen. The one I bought yesterday weighed 2 pounds! Consequently I try to carry them in a paper bag and often eat alone (which is not healthy socially). Most people do not know I am doing IF so I can't tell them that it's dinner too.

But the size of my salads has made me realise that I need to get my portions under control with IF. So I am going to work on having more normal sized meals. Today my salad weighed just 1lb. It should be enough to get me through the day.

Yeah this is exactly what i mean. It's great when we find certain things that are low-calorie enough that we can eat a huge amount. For example, i like plain oatmeal, and i found that if you don't add sugar to it, you can eat a HUGE bowl for a small amount of calories. But if i lived with people, i'd feel so weird sitting down to a breakfast of a huge pot of oatmeal! Similar to your salad.

KTucke7
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, at 56 I'm past caring what anyone thinks of my meals. My family knows how I eat and they are used to it. What is more funny than anything, since I'm doing maintenance, is the people who say "I don't know how you can eat that much and not gain weight!" Ha.

Two years last month for me.

surfergirl2
04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Well, at 56 I'm past caring what anyone thinks of my meals. My family knows how I eat and they are used to it. What is more funny than anything, since I'm doing maintenance, is the people who say "I don't know how you can eat that much and not gain weight!" Ha.

Two years last month for me.

I guess that's a good attitude to have. I need to care less what people think.

kelleyb
04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Surfergirl- I don't so much care what people think (sometimes I do though) as much as I try to be a little careful when I am going to someone's house for dinner that they will have *enough* food for me to eat. I can't expect to go to someone's house and eat all of my calories for the entire day to the point where there is not enough to go around. That is mostly what I think about.

Otherwise- yea, my family knows how I eat so, it is nothing new.

hopebewild
04-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm still eating a lot of calorie dense foods (need to work on this). So to others I'm not eating that much more than normal. As far as relationships go, my bf eats like thiz naturally as do a lot of my naturally skinny friends. Its what clued me in to this whole new way of eating for me to begin with.

Finally, while I too don't want to be lectured or judged, I am just soooooo happy with thiz whole new way of eating that while I don't scream it from the rooftops, I don't try to hide it either.

kellelm
04-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi, all. I'm so glad to have found this group!

I've gained 40 pounds in about 1 1/2 years. This IF is how I ate, naturally, until I turned 40 and gained 40 LOL I've tried to diet to get the extra pounds off, but... that didn't work for me. I was STARVING all-the-time, which just made me a horrible person to be around.

I've been lurking, reading, learning and spying on you all for about 2 weeks and finally got around to joining.

So, help me stay on track, please!

5'6"
3-29 162.6
4-10 155.2

kellelm
04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Oops! Suppose I should add that my feeding window is about 3-8pm. I guess that puts me on a 19-5 schedule.

betsy2013
04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
I've been doing IF since the beginning of the year and was originally on a noon to 8 PM schedule although most of the time I was finished eating by 6:30. Then I had an a fib issue and have to take a LOT of pills at 9 AM WITH FOOD. So, I changed my eating time to 9-5. Shouldn't be a problem, right? On the original schedule I was eating lunch, dinner and a snack. Now I'm eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. Same calories, same amount of carbs (I have to count both), but seemed to initially have more trouble losing.

Evidently it was just body adjustment because the losing has gotten back on track this week. It has been interesting to work with IF and the timing of eating. I'm amazed more people haven't jumped on this way of living.

krampus
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey everyone. I don't do IF but i thought you guys might be able to relate to this problem (really it's just an imagined problem at this point). I do prefer to eat a little lighter during the day, and eat a big meal at night. I might eat 1000 calories for dinner, so i might eat, for example, 3 hardboiled eggs, a chicken thigh, a bowl of soup, a bunch of vegetables, and a huge bowl of oatmeal. That's a lot of food!!! My question is, i'm afraid to do this in a social setting (or for example, if i am ever in a relationship again). Do you feel weird eating your huge meal in front of others?

I eat two huge meals and sometimes people comment on it. I think generally my friends think I eat like 5,000 calories every day. That's fine by me - I just do what works for me and maintains a weight and size I like.

My BF is kind of proud of how much I put away, but he knows I IF.

Tina239
04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I am so intrigued by the idea of IF. Does anyone have any advice for getting started with this? Since stumbling upon this idea here on 3FC, I have gone to bed every night saying "tomorrow is the day I start", but then I get scared . . . and hungry, and another day goes by that I don't carry through. If anyone can give me a step by step of how you started or how to ease into it (if possible), please let me know! Good luck to all of you!!!

TripSwitch
04-11-2013, 12:33 AM
I am so intrigued by the idea of IF. Does anyone have any advice for getting started with this? Since stumbling upon this idea here on 3FC, I have gone to bed every night saying "tomorrow is the day I start", but then I get scared . . . and hungry, and another day goes by that I don't carry through. If anyone can give me a step by step of how you started or how to ease into it (if possible), please let me know! Good luck to all of you!!!

Well I'll assume that you're not eating in your sleep right? So you're got 7 to 8 hrs covered right there hopefully... Just skip breakfast and wait to eat till lunch time and its as simple as that...

But if you want to "ease into it"... Then try going 12hrs and just start gradually working up from there...

And yes it takes time to get use to... And yes you'll probably get "hungry"... But it's not the end of world... I know for me I just had to "tough it out" at first... But it really wasn't that bad...

kellelm
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Ack! I am NOT looking forward to getting on the scale today.

I've been at this since 3-29. It hasn't been hard! Making the good food choices has been pretty easy for me. Losing weight, feeling good!

Last night, I ate Digiorno Supreme Pizza. I was fine for calories. This morning I feel AWFUL. Bloated and bleh and just... yuck.

157.4 Pizza is definitely NOT worth this! F&%$*&@#

kellelm
04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Can anybody explain to me what happened? I was within my calorie count. Actually under a bit. Seems like having pizza really shouldn't have done this to me. I really feel awful and gained quite a bit.

I'll do some more exercising today and eat a bit less to try to make up for this. Good-bye, Pizza. I do love you.

Return2Fast5
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Can anybody explain to me what happened? I was within my calorie count. Actually under a bit. Seems like having pizza really shouldn't have done this to me. I really feel awful and gained quite a bit.

I'll do some more exercising today and eat a bit less to try to make up for this. Good-bye, Pizza. I do love you.

kellelm,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but back out of necessity...need the daily motivation and support.

I recently read "The Plan"...the author (a dietician/nutritionist) postulates that many foods will cause disproportional weight gain compared their caloric value based upon their inflammatory properties. Perhaps one or more of the components in pizza is inflammatory for you?

I have not done "The Plan" but do realize that there are certain foods that for me have the same effect. Maybe worth considering?

Dawn

betsy2013
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Kellelm, many people on all of the various dieting plans have noticed that if they have adhered to eating healthy foods and then have something like a purchased pizza that they will have intestinal problems. It varies from person to person, but it's not uncommon. In terms of the weight gain, there is probably a lot of sodium in the pizza. For instance, a DiGiorno For One Pizza (i.e., a small personal pizza) has almost 1500 mg of sodium. Whenever you see a sudden weight gain (or loss) it's almost always water weight.

Hope you feel better.

kellelm
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your reply, Dawn!

Your theory is very much worth considering, I'll look into it. All I've been able to find is maybe it's water retention. Something about the carbs and the sodium. I've been hoping that's what it is and tomorrow will be better!

Guess I'll just add pizza to my good-bye list along with my beloved potatoes.

Thanks, Dawn! I appreciate your time.

kellelm
04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Betsy! I appreciate your reply. I've been doing so well and Grrrrr!

Apparently I ate between 2000-2500mg of sodium. I hope it's just water retention! Uh... no more pizza.

BigSky
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to tell you pizza is your poison, and to avoid it forever. Just remember you said you ate the pizza the night before you weighed yourself. It's not realistic to believe you gained fat because of what the scale showed. If you are like a lot of us and have scale stress, never weigh yourself after you had a heavy meal or a salty meal the night before, because the scale will knock you on the head. It's just not giving you an accurate reading.

krampus
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM

For me it's as simple as "go to bed, wake up, have coffee, listen to my stomach rumble, eat a huge lunch."

A 16/8 fast where you have an 8 hour "window" doesn't have to be scary! Maybe you eat between 12-8, or 11-7. I personally like 2-10 because I get the munchies. :P

kellelm
04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Scale issues. Yes, BigSky, that's very much true. Over 2 pounds really knocked me on the head... or on my a$$. I'm going to cross my fingers, eat a bit less, do a little more moving today and sweat awhile in the hot tub.

Hopefully that'll help. And, thanks for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate it!

BigSky
04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Anybody, I would love to have you share what type of fasting you are doing:

Five hour "window"
Eight hour "window"
5:2 Fast Diet
Alternate day (JUDDD)
Warrior Diet
Eat Stop Eat
Your own custom fasting plan

If you haven't heard of some of these, just Google them up. So who's doing what, and how's it working for you? Please share.

kellelm
04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I do a 19:5. It's natural for me, so it wasn't very hard to get back into.

I watch my calories and have learned I should maybe not eat pizza LOL.

Probably not such a bad thing because I have ZERO sweet tooth. However, I did give up potatoes because I love, love, love them in every single size, shape and form they come and cannot seem to control myself.

I am LAZY and hate "exercise" in a formal form.

I'm working on a new mindset. Bear with me, I'm trying. Haven't done too bad for 2 weeks, in my own humble opinion.

BigSky
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Funny you mention potatoes. On another website, in one of their fasting threads, they talk of a "potato fast". The theory is that if you eat nothing but potatoes (fat free) your body uses insulin to use up all those carbs. But since you aren't eating dietary fat, your liver will draw on fat stores to pull that insulin back out of the bloodstream. Some people report losing well doing this. But I'm not trying to start a new fad here. I thought it was interesting though.
BTW I myself go back and forth between Fast-5 (the 5 hour window thing), and Alternate Day Calorie Restriction. (JUDDD) I can't seem to decide which one is easier.

TripSwitch
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Scale issues. Yes, BigSky, that's very much true. Over 2 pounds really knocked me on the head... or on my a$$. I'm going to cross my fingers, eat a bit less, do a little more moving today and sweat awhile in the hot tub.

Hopefully that'll help. And, thanks for taking the time to answer! Really appreciate it!

I came across something recently that basically said that a 4lb range of water "weight" fluctuation from day to day is pretty normal... and personally, I see a 2 to 3lb change all the time and in fact I was up close to 3lbs this morning... Which of course p***ed me off... But I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again... But what I do is keep a running average of my weight over the last 7 days and average over the last month and then I can see that I haven't actually gained any real weight....

kellelm
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
LOL Well, when I say potatoes... I mean a baked potato smothered in sc, cheese, butter, bacon bits, cheese, onions, ranch, blah, blah. I mean a huge order of McD's fries, with ketchup. Mmmm or Culver's fries. Or 15 servings of super mashed and gravy. Real ones only, thanks. Or fried slices in bacon grease. Or an entire bag of chips and dip at one sitting. Or fried tater skins. I could eat a meal of different potatoes. Or 10.

Drool... but that's what I mean by potatoes. A plain potato... eh, I'd rather not. It's the other stuff that makes them nummy!

TripSwitch
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Five hour "window"
Eight hour "window"
Alternate day (JUDDD)
Warrior Diet
Eat Stop Eat

If you haven't heard of some of these, just Google them up. So who's doing what, and how's it working for you? Please share.

I usually shoot for a 16/8 routine... So an 8hr "window"... I usually do 12pm to 8pm but sometimes 2pm to 10pm... Depends on what I have going on... And sometimes I drop it down to 14/10 if I need to... And I also like to do a 24hr fast every so often, so I'll do something like 6pm to 6pm the following day... And even with my regular 16/8 routine I'll often go to 18 or 20hrs if I'm busy and not even really notice it much...

For me IF was really about breaking my habit of eating at night... Which just doesn't work for me when it comes to managing my weight... But I definitely think IF offers a lot of benefits as well... Especially getting out of that mindset of 3 meals a day, 2 snacks/ and dessert day in and day out... I'm definitely enjoying the freedom from all of that if you know what I mean...

kellelm
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
TripSwitch, I am so very much hoping this is just a water weight thing! Gaaahhhh! I don't want to have a big set back. Dangit, I'm NOT giving up! Thanks for your reply, it helps.

BigSky
04-11-2013, 04:29 PM
@TripSwitch Thanks for answering. An eight hour "window" certainly sounds like the easiest way to try intermittent fasting. I just don't know if I would lose any weight that way. How long have you been doing it, and have you had good weight loss? On the Fast-5 website, the author says during an extended period of fasting, like 19 hours, it helps the body measure it's fat stores and turns down your appetite if there is too much around.
I don't know if that is true or not, but I am reporting some small weight losses so far.

SunnySide99
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Five hour "window"
Eight hour "window"
Alternate day (JUDDD)
Warrior Diet
Eat Stop Eat

Hey there!

I'm doing a 6 hour eating window....usually between 11a - 5p. It's hard for me to get all of my calories in within 4 or 5 hours and 8+ hours is too long so 6 hours is perfect for me. I've only done a 24 hour fast (lunch to lunch) 5 times and I'm still amazed how easy I got through it and how good I felt. The first time was a little tough though. You're going to have to play around with different time frames and see how your body reacts.

IF works great for me and it helped me burn all kinds of fat especially in the hard to reach areas like my back and love handles. Also it helped me to stop snacking - especially at night. I didn't realize how often I used to eat. Giving my digestion a break has helped me in a lot of ways.

It is difficult to try and explain what I do to people offline. A lot of people are so confused by my eating habits and how I'm not gaining my weight back. They see me eat, and I eat well (I lift 3x per week) so they know I'm not starving myself. They also see me eat regular foods as well. I tell people I stop eating after dinner, no snacking and I watch my portions. Makes things a lot easier.

TripSwitch, I am so very much hoping this is just a water weight thing! Gaaahhhh! I don't want to have a big set back. Dangit, I'm NOT giving up! Thanks for your reply, it helps.

kellelm - have you been drinking water today? Sodium holds on to my body like crazy, but the water weight dissipates after about 2 - 3 days when I'm consistent with drinking water. I wouldn't say avoid pizza either. I still have pizza almost every Friday. However instead of having 4 loaded slices, breadsticks and a coke I now just have two cheese slices with a salad and a water.

TripSwitch
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi BigSky... I've only been IF'ing for about 6 months.... Although I have a lot of other experience with other various forms of fasting ... And I had lost most the weight before I got into IF... But I have lost some weight with it.... And for me it really has been helping me to maintain.... I really like it as strategy to keep my calories in check and because I'd rather have larger more calorie dense meals which I find much more satisfying... But it really comes down to figuring out how much "fasting" time you need to create the calorie deficit to lose weight and that you can live with.... Definitely a lot of different ways to get there that's for sure...

I mean basically I starting counting calories and cutting them... Lost some weight... Than I decided to cut carbs and lost some more weight... Than I threw IF into the mix and lost some more.... Than I really started getting back into running again and I'm planning on running another marathon, so that with everything else is helping me to maintain, but not really lose because I haven't started ramping it up yet... even though I'm running about 40 miles a week now again...

So now I would really like to get down to goal and that means finding a way that I can cut calories to do that, but keep all the other balls in the air that I'm juggling at the same time... Which is proving a bit more difficult than its been in the past for me... But I'm pretty determined... It's just gonna take a bit longer than I planned... But I'm gonna get there... :)

BigSky
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
@SunnySide I'm happy you answered! I am successful with a 5 hour window some of the time. When I'm not, it's because I sometimes get hungry an hour after my window closes and I have a snack. I'm basically doing 1-6, but now I'm thinking maybe my body is telling me 1-7 is better. Thanks.

@TripSwitch I am thinking a larger eating "window" is better for maintenance, yes? I have lots to lose. Will try leaving it at six hours for the next seven days, and see if that is more bearable. I've been doing a moderate sized meal at 1:00 and another at 6:30 - 7:00. No snacks in between.
thanks everyone for helping.

IanG
04-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Am I the only person here that skips dinner?

Everyone seems to set their window for breakfast not included!

kellelm
04-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, yippee Yahoo! Must've just been water retention from the pizza! Thanks to all who replied yesterday!

Today is 155.6

wangela87
04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
So it looks like the "Lean Gains, Fast 5, and other IF" thread was over it's limit... and I guess was going to be closed... so I went ahead and started this one... I just went with the "Intermittent Fasting.... " title to just be as general as possible, since it seems like a lot of people here are doing there own thing when it comes to IF... which is personally what I like about IF anyway... that it's pretty flexible... and can fit in with whatever "plan" you happen to be using or way of eating that works for you...

As far as me personally, I'm a relative recent convert to IF... but so far, so good... there has been a few bumps along the way... but I've pretty much settled into a very comfortable (for me) 16/8 routine that I'm quite happy with for now...

So I look forward to seeing familiar faces and hearing from new ones as well here...

That's nice to hear that things are doing well with IF in your weight loss journey :carrot: I do agree as well that it's flexible and can be pair with any plan. Maybe that's what many people liked about it, so go go go :cheer:

TripSwitch
04-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Am I the only person here that skips dinner?

Everyone seems to set their window for breakfast not included!

I haven't been around here too long, but come to think of it I don't really recall anyone that skips dinner and does their eating window earlier in the day...

So you stop eating after lunch? What time do you eat between? The earliest I've ever been able to finish up my eating is at 5pm... and that was when I was going to bed at 9pm and getting up at 4am...

I know for me between working and working out during the day I'm really looking forward to a nice dinner... and I enjoy cooking for my family, it's really the only meal we can all do together... well except for on weekends...
Plus skipping breakfast seems to be the most "socially acceptable" for me... No one really cares when I don't eat at a breakfast meeting... but business lunches and dinners are a different story...

Although I will say this... I bet if I could do my eating window earlier in the day and not eat dinner... I could probably get to goal a lot quicker... :)

TripSwitch
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
That's nice to hear that things are doing well with IF in your weight loss journey :carrot: I do agree as well that it's flexible and can be pair with any plan. Maybe that's what many people liked about it, so go go go :cheer:

Thanks!

TripSwitch
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
@SunnySide I'm happy you answered! I am successful with a 5 hour window some of the time. When I'm not, it's because I sometimes get hungry an hour after my window closes and I have a snack. I'm basically doing 1-6, but now I'm thinking maybe my body is telling me 1-7 is better. Thanks.

@TripSwitch I am thinking a larger eating "window" is better for maintenance, yes? I have lots to lose. Will try leaving it at six hours for the next seven days, and see if that is more bearable. I've been doing a moderate sized meal at 1:00 and another at 6:30 - 7:00. No snacks in between.
thanks everyone for helping.

6hrs sounds good... I know for me when I start getting into a 4hr window I definitely feel more than a little bit "stuffed" by my meals during that short a period of time... and my hunger would be more intense during my fasting window as well... where as when I eat in a 6hr window I seem to manage my hunger better during the fasting window...

It's funny... I find 16 to 18hrs pretty easy... and I can seem to do 24hrs easier than I can do 19 to 20hrs... so go figure right?

But like I mentioned before... For me just being able to go 12 to 14hrs without eating has been one of the best things that IF has helped me with... :)

KTucke7
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
@IanG The time of day you pick for your eating window is a very personal thing. I do 19:5 and my window is 5-10 PM because I'm a night eater. When I'm at work and up and going, I don't have any trouble maintaining my fast. I can have dinner with the hubby then and I'm always hungry right before I go to bed. If I don't eat before bedtime, I don't sleep well. The point is, you have to pick the window that works for your schedule/cravings/natural inclinations.

@BigSky I'd say "no" to the longer eating window for maintenance. I've been successfully maintaining for two years on a five hour eating window. If I give myself more time, I'll eat more. This might not be true for you, but it is for me.

BigSky
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
@KTucke7 Thanks. Some would say late night eating is a no-no or that breakfast is the most important meal but I know both are myths. I've done tons or research and the body could care less when you eat your calories. The author of Fast-5 says the eating window is simply for calorie restriction, which is what it all comes down to.
Can you please tell me how long your window has been 5-10? Have you been doing this just for weight maintenance? Or did you lose your weight this way? I too am a night eater. Maybe I should try 5-10.

SouthernMaven
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I hope you guys don't mind a "non-IF" person chiming in here. I've been reading this thread even though I practice intuitive eating precisely because most days I find myself doing IF simply by following my body's own cues.

I have never in my life been a breakfast eater - when I say that, I LOVE breakfast food; but usually no earlier than 11:00 am, and often later. So if I were to ever try intermittent fasting, I think it would be a pretty easy thing for me to do. So I do enjoy reading all your posts because I can relate to them so much! Most days I eat some type of a "snack" around 11:30 - noon and then eat one really big, carb-loaded meal anywhere between 3-5 pm. Other days I don't eat a thing until around 2:00 pm and if it's heavy enough, it will hold me almost 24 hours. I kind of alternate between these two patterns.

But I thought you non-breakfast eaters would get a kick out of something that happened to me today. I had to go in for a yearly sonogram to monitor a non-malignant tumor I have on my left kidney. (they just have to make sure it doesn't grow too big as it has a risk of rupturing, but it is definitely not malignant). Anyway, the sonographer also did my right kidney as well as my gallbladder. Afterwards she asked me "Have you had breakfast?" which I thought was an odd question, but of course I said no. Then she said, "I didn't think so. Your gall bladder is full of bile and it's just waiting for you to feed yourself." So I told her I never ate breakfast, at which point she said she always did, as she always woke up hungry. And I told her I didn't, and that's why I don't eat it. ;)

But I thought that was interesting and thought those of you on this forum would find it interesting as well.

Have a wonderful IF day!

KTucke7
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
@KTucke7 Thanks. Some would say late night eating is a no-no or that breakfast is the most important meal but I know both are myths. I've done tons or research and the body could care less when you eat your calories. The author of Fast-5 says the eating window is simply for calorie restriction, which is what it all comes down to.
Can you please tell me how long your window has been 5-10? Have you been doing this just for weight maintenance? Or did you lose your weight this way? I too am a night eater. Maybe I should try 5-10.

Right you are about the myths. I've been doing 5-10 PM since I started IF in March of 2011. I actually did lose about 10 pounds the first couple of months, though I wasn't really trying to. I lost 100 pounds in 1995-96 and until I found IF it was a constant battle to maintain. I exercised an hour every day, watched my calories like a hawk, did various things, but the point is it was always on my mind and controlling my life. I wish I had known about IF back when I lost the weight. I think it would have made that journey much easier. However, most anyone you talk to who has lost a substantial amount will tell you that the initial loss is easier than the maintenance (at least over time). With IF, that doesn't have to be the case!

Tina239
04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
I finally did it! I got over my fears of IF and managed to fast until 2:00 today. I made my eating window 2:00-7:00. This fits my schedule pretty well as I work from 8:00-3:30. I used some green tea (my first time drinking it) and some black tea with Sweet-n-Low, plus lots of water to get me through. I felt hungry at times, but I distracted myself by researching all of the different IF plans (and working). I think that will be the key to my success, distraction. I didn't do well for dinner, though. I had some Costco pizza, thanks to my husband who was home with back pain all day and was ravenous. But, I was able to talk him into doing the plan with me. Hopefully the meals during my 5 hour eating block will be healthier from here on out.

KTucke7
04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Good for you Tina! I drink green tea with splenda (and diet pepsi) during the day too and it helps. So does staying busy as you said. I don't even think about eating during the day anymore while I'm working. On the weekends it is harder, but you get used to that too.

JohnP
04-13-2013, 05:05 AM
I finally did it! I got over my fears of IF and managed to fast until 2:00 today. I made my eating window 2:00-7:00. This fits my schedule pretty well as I work from 8:00-3:30. I used some green tea (my first time drinking it) and some black tea with Sweet-n-Low, plus lots of water to get me through. I felt hungry at times, but I distracted myself by researching all of the different IF plans (and working). I think that will be the key to my success, distraction. I didn't do well for dinner, though. I had some Costco pizza, thanks to my husband who was home with back pain all day and was ravenous. But, I was able to talk him into doing the plan with me. Hopefully the meals during my 5 hour eating block will be healthier from here on out.

Just my opinion, but I personally would not advise anyone to start intermittent fasting who has not already established good dietary habits for the exact reason you have just had happen.

Research indicates that when you skip meals you're used to eating you are more likely to make poor choices. Granted, research in this area is pretty slim but it makes sense. Read this. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/oct/16/skipping-breakfast-brain-food-study)

Pizza is rediculously high in calories. Terrible choice. On top of it all, you're blaming your husband for your decision to eat pizza. Own it.

Intermittent fasting is a great mechanism to help control calories but if you don't have good dietary habits coming into it the results can be a disaster. I've seen it happen as people on various forums have thought intermittent fasting would be their savior and continued making poor food choices which ultimately led them to worse dietary habits than they started with.

Good dietary habits include having a plan in advance for what you're going to eat. Not 100% of the time but if you don't plan out what you're going to be eating the odds of making a poor choice increase significantly as hunger increases.

Goodluck.

JohnP
04-13-2013, 05:17 AM
(She was very thin, btw - but I attribute that to the fact that she eats when she's hungry, which is what we are all supposed to do!)

That's a nice theory but as a species if we weren't hard wired to get fat when food is plentiful we would never have survived.

My point is I take large exception to your statement "supposed to do". Is that a moral imperative or what exactly are you getting at? I'm not "supposed" to eat a bag of chips because I feel like it and I like chips?

I'm all for people doing what they want but I confess I get pretty snarky when people start telling others what they are "supposed" to do so if it's an innocent comment than I apologize for my venom. It's like people so enamored with paleo eating that they start preaching it. These paleotards are truly annoying especially when there is no basis for anything they believe to be true about the true paleo diet.

For the record I always tell people who want to lose weight and aren't interested in counting calories that they should follow the Paleo diet - so I'm not against the diet, I'm against the rediculous claims that are made by Paleo evangelists.

Samantha18
04-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Can someone send me in the direction of some good information on IF? When I google it, I don't come across anything that goes into how to get started or how to decide on a good plan and such. It sounds like something that interests me very much. I'd like to combine it with calorie counting. I've always gravitated towards eating fewer larger meals instead of many small ones, and I don't like snacking as it makes me more hungry.

I don't have a job atm, so my sleeping schedule is crazy and goes into the P.M. I'm thinking of eating twice between 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., but would I eat all my calories in this window, split into 2 meals?

kellelm
04-13-2013, 08:28 AM
"Paleotards" Giggle Snort.

I am "officially" (BMI) normal again!

Yes, Tina, pizza is a horrible choice... for me. We just had a fight this week and are not on speaking terms at the moment

amazinggrace911
04-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning!! I'm new on the board, but not new to IF. Though I haven't been fasting for a while, I want to start to do so again.

I've lost @60 lbs in almost two years. Just taking my time and learning how to keep off the weight. Don't want to gain this all again.

I work night shift, so I'm not sure how this is going to work. Going to try to eat during the hours of 4:30 - 9:30. As long as I don't get any headaches at work I will be okay.

Have a great day!!

SouthernMaven
04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
My point is I take large exception to your statement "supposed to do". Is that a moral imperative or what exactly are you getting at? I'm not "supposed" to eat a bag of chips because I feel like it and I like chips?

I'm all for people doing what they want but I confess I get pretty snarky when people start telling others what they are "supposed" to do so if it's an innocent comment than I apologize for my venom. It's like people so enamored with paleo eating that they start preaching it. These paleotards are truly annoying especially when there is no basis for anything they believe to be true about the true paleo diet.

Wow! Hit me over the head with a frypan! :frypan:

It really was an innocent comment, John. Believe me when I say I completely forgot where I was when I was posting this - the IF thread, where people are deliberately ignoring hunger. Sheesh! I should stay where I belong.

I really had no intention of telling others what to do, please take my word on that. I know IF has worked and is working very well for others, and it was not my intention of stepping on toes. But it's been my experience that most naturally thin people do this the great majority of the time, and they really don't give food a second thought. It was just a thought I had when I was thinking about the experience, and I threw it in there - innocently, believe me! (I'm going to take it out).

I will say here that I felt like she was telling me I should eat breakfast (although she didn't say it). I can't imagine another reason for her pointing out that my gall bladder was full of bile...

I wonder how her day would have gone if she'd had nothing but IF practitioners as patients all morning??? That would have been interesting!

IanG
04-13-2013, 09:02 AM
It's my kids' birthday party today. The only thing on the menu is pizza, cake, a fruit platter and a veggie platter.

I'm just gonna skip the lot. Should be home by noon anyways!

Pizza dangerous!

kellelm
04-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Happy Birthday to the kiddos! You know if you skip the whole lot... ma's gonna get harpy at ya ;)

Gah, I don't like cake. I especially hate bday cakes with 4 inches of frosting on top of them. Even as a kid... Just GROSS to me. It seems to be a mortal sin to turn down cake at a party.

No, thanks. WHAT?? WHY?? What do you MEAN, you don't LIKE cake??

I've learned to just take a small piece and leave it laying on a counter somewhere near the dirty dishes...

JohnP
04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
It really was an innocent comment, John. Believe me when I say I completely forgot where I was when I was posting this - the IF thread, where people are deliberately ignoring hunger. Sheesh! I should stay where I belong.

I apologize I should have just assumed it was an innocent comment. Funny enough I wasn't set off by the thought of deliberately ignoring hunger but rather the idea that I should only eat when I am hungry. The opposite of what you suspected set me off. I guess I just wanted to eat some chips or something!:dizzy:

JohnP
04-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Can someone send me in the direction of some good information on IF? When I google it, I don't come across anything that goes into how to get started or how to decide on a good plan and such. It sounds like something that interests me very much. I'd like to combine it with calorie counting. I've always gravitated towards eating fewer larger meals instead of many small ones, and I don't like snacking as it makes me more hungry.

I don't have a job atm, so my sleeping schedule is crazy and goes into the P.M. I'm thinking of eating twice between 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., but would I eat all my calories in this window, split into 2 meals?

There is no guide as you suspect because intermittent fasting is not a specific plan. It's just sometimes not eating. So if you count calories and want to eat two meals between 3 and 10 PM you're now intermittent fasting with the best of them.

Goodluck

IanG
04-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Happy Birthday to the kiddos! You know if you skip the whole lot... ma's gonna get harpy at ya

I ate nothing at the boys' party, came home and just ate salad.

Mom didn't notice. Dad now wants to go on a diet. Wife still mad.

JohnP
04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
I ate nothing at the boys' party, came home and just ate salad.

Mom didn't notice. Dad now wants to go on a diet. Wife still mad.

I wish I could be so laconic.

Good job staying strong. Do you find the anger fuels your resolve? I know a lot of folks find negativity makes them dive into food but for me the more someone tells me I can't the more I am going to prove them wrong.

KTucke7
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
@Samantha18 As John said, IF is a personal decision depending on what your goals are and what works for you. However, a couple of websites I reference are www.leangains.com and http://www.fast-5.com/

Tina239
04-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Just my opinion, but I personally would not advise anyone to start intermittent fasting who has not already established good dietary habits for the exact reason you have just had happen.

Um. If I had good dietary habits I wouldn't need to do any diet plan.

Thanks for the encouragement from those who gave it. As I stated in my original post, I know pizza wasn't the best choice but even with the terrible terrible pizza, I still lost weight . . . just sayin'.

Luckily, I've convinced my husband and my best friend to try IF, which will give me the positive support I need.

Good Luck to those of you embarking on your journey.

BigSky
04-13-2013, 11:50 PM

Amen, amen, amen. I support you 100% Most people try I.F. as a way to enjoy their favorite foods and still control calories, and this works for many.
I think I have to give it up though, The daily hunger during my fasting period has gone from discomfort to gnawing belly pain on a daily basis. Big time pain. I dunno, maybe I need to be checked for an ulcer. Anyway, I gotta quit I.F. and am going back to 3 squares a day, 1500 calories. To each his own, no judging, yes? I hope you continue to do well!

JohnP
04-14-2013, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the encouragement from those who gave it. As I stated in my original post, I know pizza wasn't the best choice but even with the terrible terrible pizza, I still lost weight . . . just sayin'.

Luckily, I've convinced my husband and my best friend to try IF, which will give me the positive support I need.

Good Luck to those of you embarking on your journey.

You can do what you want. I'm just providing advice based on my own observations and a bit of science. Good dietary habits are difficult enough to establish without the additional stress of ignoring hunger.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you think intermittent fasting is going to do for you. It's not a dietary plan by itself it's simply a mechanism for helping to limit calories. I've looked through some of your posts and it's not clear to me at all what you plan to do to restrict calories other than intermittent fast and try to make good food choices.

You need a plan beyond a smaller feeding window and trying to make good food choices. If you have a plan than wonderful. If you don't have one, get one. Trust me it is extremely easy to intermittent fast and gain weight or not lose. I've been intermittent fasting for years and I have to be very diligent about what I eat.

Calories matter.

I hope I don't end up adding you to the tally of people who ended up in worse shape because they tried to change too many things at once and ended up falling off the bandwagon hard.

Goodluck

amandie
04-14-2013, 03:18 AM

Five hour "window"
Eight hour "window"
Alternate day (JUDDD)
Warrior Diet
Eat Stop Eat

Hi! I used to do 6 to 8 hour windows, (IIRC) IF'ing in conjunction with WW, from 12-2pm to 8-10pm depending on the day for almost a year (I had to go back to look at my old posts to look at the dates, lol.) It worked just fine until I got really sick in Feb 2013 and after a lot of testing, I discovered that I have severe acid reflux and possible gallbladder disease. So no more high-fat meals in one sitting, tomatoes and tomato-based stuff, spicy food and acidic stuff which totally sucked because that was basically my whole diet. I still do WW, just eat a bit differently now and eat throughout the day to avoid too much fat in one sitting (so weird at first because I was not hungry but I knew I had to eat.) I also added another 2 hours to the beginning of the window (10am to 8-10pm) so I am able to get all my food intake in. I don't know if I am technically still IF'ing, if not, fine because IF has helped me so much in learning how to ignore hunger, mostly the not-real-in-my-head kind which I needed so badly for the nighttime.

IanG
04-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I started IF with eating what I wanted. I lost some weight.

But when I got what I was eating under IF to be more balanced and healthy I really started to see the weight loss and saw other benefits too e.g. feeling better, better skin.

I like to think that the initial weight loss I saw with IF motivated me to eat healthier meals and think about what I was eating (a first for me).

I am now controlling my portion sizes in conjunction with the healthy meals I eat (not just eating massive portions) and that is working even even better.

Add a dash of exercise and I am good to go!

geoblewis
04-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm ready to try this again. My doctor insists that I eat breakfast, and she's right. Helps with my health issues. However, she didn't say I had to eat the rest of the day! So for now, I'm going to fast one day a week, on the weekend when I'm not doing any heavy lifting, after breakfast, for 24 hours. Just had a high protein and fat breakfast of 600 calories. Spending the day away from the kitchen! I'll let you know how it goes.

betsy2013
04-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I've been doing IF following The 8 Hour approach since January. I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to see some post that they're hungry -- mainly because I have trouble getting my 1000-1200 calories in each day during an 8 hour window. But I quickly discovered that IF fit my natural eating style much better than trying to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. BUT, I do think that everyone's body has it's own eating rhythm. I'm only eating breakfast now because I have to take some medications with a meal and they have to be taken in the morning. So, I had to change my daily window from noon to 8 to 9 to 5. But one of the reasons that I've liked it so much is I'm never hungry. Don't know why and again, maybe it's just my body being happy with being fed primarily in the afternoon and that's it.

The other thing I've discovered with IF is that I'm at the 50 pound point and have been on this for 3.5 months. Normally about this point I am bored out of my mind, craving chips, ice cream and chocolate to the point of binges and just give up and gain it all back. But while I won't go so far as to say I'm never tempted, I have no desire to just give up. I've been forced to do low calorie and low carb counting just to lose weight and had to add in low sodium for a health problem. That means that I'm having to cook a lot more frequently. Funny thing is that miraculously I find the time because there aren't a lot of alternatives unless I want a pot load of sodium which I can't have. So, maybe eating a large variety of healthy foods has helped.

Anyway, this is long winded. Just been trying to figure out why this is working so well for me because when I finally get to maintenance in a couple of years, I want to stick to this eating approach.

JohnP
04-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to see some post that they're hungry -- mainly because I have trouble getting my 1000-1200 calories in each day during an 8 hour window.

I've read plenty of people who has similar experiences to yours. I wsih I had that problem.

IanG
04-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Oh my God. I weigh less than JohnP. NSV. Actually it's a non-NSV

Now if I could only grow taller...

KTucke7
04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
@betsy2013 I know what you are saying there. It's all about people being different I guess! After I learned to separate "hunger" from "cravings" I can honestly say I am never hungry during the fast. On the other hand, I envy you the "I have trouble getting my 1000-1200 calories in each day during an 8 hour window" thing! like John, I have no problem at all getting all my calories in a five hour window.

Return2Fast5
04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi all...just wanted to check in and say THANK YOU to all who post. I don't post much at all, but I read 'em all...everyday. To see long-timers continued success and to know that many IF'ers face the same day to day challenges that I do has been very helpful.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

betsy2013
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
I think some of my "problem" with getting in enough calories on some days (not all....just some) is that for the first time I'm writing out my menu for the day BEFORE actually eating something. Before, I've always tracked what I've eaten AFTER eating. Needless to say, there were a lot of days where I'd get to the end of the day and think Oops....went over! With laying out my menu and trying to stick to my 8 hour window and not having the hunger issues, I realize that instead of stopping for a snack that I need to be getting my last meal ready. Of course, there have been days when I've had my snack. Then I've had another snack. Then I had supper. Then I went to bed at twilight because I realized that I could keep on eating all night if I let myself!

geoblewis
04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Yesterday's IF experiment went well. Had my breakfast, intended to fast till breakfast this morning but got too hungry last night. I ate well, till satisfied, and no late night desire to snack. So my total calories yesterday were about 600 calories lower that what I eat on average in a day. This makes me happy! I can live with this groove, a meal on each end of the day, and a 12-hour fast overnight.

KTucke7
04-15-2013, 02:08 PM
@betsy2013 Sounds like you are developing a good strategy there! Most of the battle is finding something that works, as most of us know. Good going :)

@geoblewis Way to go! The goal, after all, is to take in less calories. So while you may not have followed your original plan, you still achieved your goal. :)

krampus
04-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Over the weekend I had two days where I ate maybe 400-500 calories between waking at 8 and dinner at 5-6 PM. I I didn't like how my blood sugar crashed and I felt hangry and light-headed, but I did like the part where I got to gorge myself with no remorse at dinner and dropped a couple lbs of water weight over the weekend.

I'm trying it out today - I'm trying one of those recomp things where I eat a lot on lifting days and eat at a deficit on nonlifting days. Maybe 2200 and 1800 but I refuse to count calories. Today I had 2 eggs, a 2% milkfat Greek yogurt, a blood orange and a Quest bar for lunch - about half my usual lunch portion. It's 4:55 and I am going to the gym in 5 minutes and I think I'll be fine.

I'm still blown away by people who routinely keep short eating windows that start late at night, e.g. 5-10 PM. It's SO HARD to wait to eat any later than 2-3 PM.

KTucke7
04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
@krampus Again, it is such and individual thing! It is really easy for me wait until 5 PM to eat. I've learned that the first bite I take triggers hunger in me. If I tried to eat "a little something" before then, I'd be starving (or feel like I was).

ichthys
04-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I have am starting 5:2 intermittent fasting on Friday.

I have a few books on intermittent fasting now - The FastDiet by Michael Mosley, and The Alternate Day Diet by Dr. Johnson.

Any other books you can recommend? (sorry I haven't read all the threads yet, in case some have been mentioned). I really feel I've finally found a way of eating I can live with and want to read all I can. Thanks!

KTucke7
04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I'd recommend the free Fast-5 ebook.

ichthys
04-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks - I'll go look for that one on amazon.

Tina239
04-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks - I'll go look for that one on amazon.
It's actually free at the fast-5 website. Sorry it won't let me post the link but it is wwwdotfast-5dotcom Obviously the dots are periods! I just downloaded it the other day and have been on this diet for 5 days. Down 10 pounds!!!

KTucke7
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Nice going Tina! :)

betsy2013
04-18-2013, 10:34 AM
In a previous post I commented that I'm never hungry on IF. Well, I allowed myself a "treat" and had low carb pasta with basil pesto. I had saved up the calories and carbs so that I could have a good sized helping and thoroughly enjoyed it.

But, by the next morning, my tummy was growling so loudly that I imagine the neighbors could hear it. I was starved. So, I have discovered that my not being hungry on this is probably due to trying to have a good mixture of food -- I try to follow The 8 Hour Diet rules of at least one serving of protein, dairy, legumes, nuts, berries, fruit, veggies and whole grains each day........although I rarely get all 8 in! Definitely no problems with feeling hungry for me when I eat from those food groups.

ichthys
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Wow, Tina thank you so much...going over to check it out....

ichthys
04-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Well, although I can see fast 5 is not for me at this time, I'm definitely going to read the book (giving us a free book says much about the author), and check out the rest of the website. Honestly, I just can't read enough about intermittent fasting, so thanks again for that link.

Right now, I believe 5:2 is for me. For one thing, I drink tea (I'm literally addicted to black tea) all day long with milk, and I can't see stopping that habit. I can still do that on 5:2. Also, my husband is doing 5:2 so it will just be easier to do it along with him - eat regularly 5 days a week and fast on limited calories for 2. I'll start tomorrow as a fast day, as he always fasts on Fridays.

That said, from everything I've read, I'm a true believer in intermittent fasting. I think all the plans are good - one isn't superior to another. It's just a matter of finding one we can make a lifestyle.

Thanks again for that link, and I'm glad to be part of this forum! Now I'm going back to read all the posts I've missed!

ichthys
04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I read/skimmed through all the posts, and it's great to see folks so committed to this lifestyle.

I will be 60 this year, and I've been dieting since I was 13. Losing, gaining, losing gaining. I think the longest I ever maintained was one year, but for me it was impossible to sustain daily food exchange counting, calorie counting, carb gram counting, fat gram counting, Weight Watchers points (my last foray into traditional dieting, etc.). I have about 60 lbs. to lose.

I really think eating normally 5 days a week and eating 500 calories 2 days a week is very doable for me. My husband, who truly cannot stick to any diet, has been doing this a few weeks and loves it. What appeals to me is that I'll only be counting calories twice a week.

As time goes on, who knows, I may experiment with other intermittent plans, but for me this one is easiest to start with.

I'm armed with books:

The Fastdiet by Michael Mosley (my favorite so far - a NY Times bestseller)

The Alternate Day Diet by James B. Johnson, M.D. (I might move on to this one as time goes on)

Easy Alternate Day Fasting by Beth Christian

The 48 hour Diet by margaret Mackenzie

The 5:2 Diet Book by Kate Harrison

The 5:2 Diet Recipe Book By Jackueline Whitehart

The CR Way by Paul McGlothin (not an intermittent diet book, but a good primer on the health benefits of calorie restriction).

Now I'll be reading the 5 hour diet online.

I think you can see I'm obsessed with learning all I can about this. Good thing I'm retired... ha ha!!!

If you know of any other books, let me know! Yes, I'm a voracious reader!

BigSky
04-18-2013, 08:45 PM
I was ready to stop I.F. because the fasting was causing my stomach to hurt a lot. Now I think it was all the black coffee I was drinking. I switched to Kava, and only two cups a day. It is acid neutralized.
I'm back on program. Really, for me this beats any "diet" out there. I consider no food illegal. I just keep my window, and my eating is controlled - well, most of the time anyway.. Sometimes I feel my body wants to make up for lost time.

I've read up on the 5:2 plan. For me, I know I wouldn't lose much restricting calories on only 2 days a week. Might be good for maintenance, though.

KTucke7
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm with you BigSky. Works like a charm! I think I would struggle with restricting calories 2 days a week also. I'm thinking (knowing how I am) that I'd make up for lost time on the other five days. That said, different strokes for different folks. Whatever works!

kelleyb
04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I also think I would "make up for lost time". I like to do IF as well as I can most days. I have thought about that 5:2 plan though.

Big sky- I would def. slow down on the coffee. I feel it too if I drink it in the evening or at night - makes my stomach hurt. Silly b/c I'm a night worker and I can't drink coffee at night!

JohnP
04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I read/skimmed through all the posts, and it's great to see folks so committed to this lifestyle.

I will be 60 this year, and I've been dieting since I was 13. Losing, gaining, losing gaining. I think the longest I ever maintained was one year, but for me it was impossible to sustain daily food exchange counting, calorie counting, carb gram counting, fat gram counting, Weight Watchers points (my last foray into traditional dieting, etc.). I have about 60 lbs. to lose.

I really think eating normally 5 days a week and eating 500 calories 2 days a week is very doable for me. My husband, who truly cannot stick to any diet, has been doing this a few weeks and loves it. What appeals to me is that I'll only be counting calories twice a week.

As time goes on, who knows, I may experiment with other intermittent plans, but for me this one is easiest to start with.

I'm armed with books:

The Fastdiet by Michael Mosley (my favorite so far - a NY Times bestseller)

The Alternate Day Diet by James B. Johnson, M.D. (I might move on to this one as time goes on)

Easy Alternate Day Fasting by Beth Christian

The 48 hour Diet by margaret Mackenzie

The 5:2 Diet Book by Kate Harrison

The 5:2 Diet Recipe Book By Jackueline Whitehart

The CR Way by Paul McGlothin (not an intermittent diet book, but a good primer on the health benefits of calorie restriction).

Now I'll be reading the 5 hour diet online.

I think you can see I'm obsessed with learning all I can about this. Good thing I'm retired... ha ha!!!

If you know of any other books, let me know! Yes, I'm a voracious reader!

Well - if you like to read ... have at it. Just be warned - I've read all the science on the matter of IF and frankly I'd imagine those books are going to be talking about the science and making things up. Bottom line - we have very little IF research that has been done on humans and guess what - humans aren't rats.

One of the most compelling tidbits of information is that for a long time people believed that caloric restriction would extend life. In rats - calorie restriction extends life significantly. So you have a bunch of people folling the CRON diet.

In rats - IF mimics the effects of calorie restriction. So in theory IF will extend human life as well.

The only problem with this is that in a long running trial of rhesus monkeys that are being calorie restriction hasn't extended their lives. We're a lot more similar genetically to rhesus monkeys than we are to rats. Calorie restriction did lead to reduced incidence of disease but sadly the control group isn't following their natural diet too closely so it's hard to say if the lack of disease is from calorie restriction or just not eating like an A-hole.

Getting to my point - read the books all you want. Just keep in mind any health claims they're making are unproven at best. It's also very possible that some people (especially women) will not do so well intermittent fasting due to cortisol building up.

JohnP
04-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Very interesting thing I found out yesterday. I ate a big breakfast. I went to a work training function and they had a big spread of eggs, potatoes and cheap saussage. These are like my favorite ever breakfast foods so I ate with gusto. Even had a glass of orange juice. :D

This was about 7:30 AM. I wasn't hungry when I took the first bite but my tastebuds aroused the hunger monster inside me.:D

Long story short - I didn't eat again until about 9:00 PM. I was busy and simply had no hunger, at all. I even walked into a McDonald's to buy a diet coke and my co-worker wanted a couple apple pies. The smell of french fries and burgers had no effect. I was expecting to have to resist temptation but I felt none.

Interesting ...

rubidoux
04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
This is my first time posting here but I've been IF'ing on and off for about two years, and pretty consistently since October. I have always wondered if there'd be a time that it just felt normal and I think I may be there, which is a nice feeling. I have had periods of doing a small window, like 3 to 5 hours or just eating once a day. Sometimes I go back and forth depending on what's going to work better w my schedule on a given day. I don't like to eat too late so if I don't get home until six or later, I'll just have one meal and call it quits.

I do have a coffee w heavy whipping cream during the day. I wasn't sure whether to really consider what I'm doing IF'ing since I have the HWC, but I switched to diet coke for a while to get my caffeine and it didn't feel different to me, so I went back to my coffee w HWC since I don't love the idea of daily diet coke.

I tend to eat the same things every day and then change them up as I get bored with them. Lately I've been having a whole avocado w fresh salsa and a couple of salmon burgers and then an ounce of almonds or cheddar if I want a snack, so it's pretty low carb.

Very interesting thing I found out yesterday. I ate a big breakfast. I went to a work training function and they had a big spread of eggs, potatoes and cheap saussage. These are like my favorite ever breakfast foods so I ate with gusto. Even had a glass of orange juice. :D

This was about 7:30 AM. I wasn't hungry when I took the first bite but my tastebuds aroused the hunger monster inside me.:D

Long story short - I didn't eat again until about 9:00 PM. I was busy and simply had no hunger, at all. I even walked into a McDonald's to buy a diet coke and my co-worker wanted a couple apple pies. The smell of french fries and burgers had no effect. I was expecting to have to resist temptation but I felt none.

Interesting ...

That is interesting. I'm assuming you don't usually eat at that time? I always feel like I tend to not want to stop eating if I start early in the day. If I break my fast around 4 pm or later my appetite is less likely to get the better of me.

TripSwitch
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Interesting ...

I do something similar to this when I'm traveling... I'll order a very big breakfast for room service the evening before and arrange to have it delivered to my room for a specific time, usually very early... enjoy it lounging around in the nice cushy hotel robe, read the papers and drink lots of coffee... Then I go about my day and I will literally not eat a thing and not be hungry at all... and then just have a really nice dinner at around 8 or 9pm... or sometimes not till 10pm or later depending on where I am or what plans I had for the evening... I really like just having 2 meals a day... but the whole "you gotta eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner thing is just so engrained still in my thinking about how we're "suppose" to eat... I still struggle with it... even though IF is just what I naturally gravitate towards now...

luckymommy
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello IF-ers,

I'm writing because I would like to try IFing again (I was doing it for a while simply skipping breakfast but lost my way to the tune of 50 lbs. gained).

I recently saw the documentary by Michael Mosley and it was interesting so I started on Friday by having only 500 calories. I then did it again on Sunday. I felt very sluggish both days and even on Saturday, when I ate about 1800 calories, I felt weaker than usual.

I just read JohnP's post on his extensive research and the possibility of cortisol levels rising too high in women and it has me wondering what I should do.

I don't want this to sound like a sad, pathetic story (I have a lot of tough stuff going on in my life) but I'm desperate to get back in the game and to have some good results. Despite how difficult the two days of 500 calories were for me (I skipped breakfast and only had a bit of lunch and saved calories for later on in the day since that's what worked for me), I'm thinking that I really can go through with it and am hoping it will get easier over time.

Questions: does it get easier over time? Do you think I should continue with this or just go back to the skipping breakfast where I end up fasting for about 17 hours at a time? I'm a food addict and I'm very unhappy in this weight. It really gets me down a lot. I guess I'm seeking advice, encouragement, support or a smack in the face. ;)

geoblewis
04-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Luckymommy, I was able to lose about 35 lbs with a combination of IF and a paleo diet over the course of two years. But my streak all came to a crashing halt just about a year ago and I have gained back nearly 20 lbs. And most of it around the holiday season. I experienced some serious fatigue, got sick repeatedly over the winter and in turn, lost my resolve and haven't been able to get my IF mojo back.

I went to see a new doctor a few months back. She insisted that I eat breakfast. I was someone who usually skipped eating till later in the day, with a daily eating window of 8 hours. And even with that window, I still ate up between 1600 and 1800 calories a day. I really miss eating like that, but due to health reasons (type 2 diabetes, hypothyroid), my doctor tells me I'm doing myself a disservice if I tried to get back to that.

I've tried to stick to doing the paleo thing to help me manage my blood sugar, but it also seems to wear me down. I am very tired after a couple weeks of strict paleo, despite my blood sugar numbers doing well. I just sent in my saliva test kit to be analyzed, to see how my cortisol and other hormones are doing. My thyroid is low and I'm going to have to start on something for that soon. I'm also hitting menopause. My body seems like my worst enemy right now.

I still IF, somewhat, by doing my night-time fasting window of 12 hours a few nights a week. During the day, I have a generous breakfast, usually heavy on the protein and healthy fats, and my only carb is half an avocado. I eat every four hours, adding more vegetables to my meals as the day moves forward. By dinner, I will add a couple slices of a high protein/fiber bread (by Julian Bakery) to my meal of protein, fats, and veggies. I exercise in the late afternoons, so if I'm doing any weight training, I'll have an additional snack afterward. My energy levels are not bottoming out any more. Not feeling full of vigor in the mornings yet, but I do feel better when I get a good 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep a few nights in a row.

I think I may try fasting a day on the weekend. I don't want to entirely give up on IF because it worked so well for me, and helped me get past an excruciatingly long plateau. I'm terrified that my "set point" weight is 300 lbs. I'm trying to cut back on calories, but I workout five to six days a week, which seems to be the most effective way for me to deal with my blood sugar issues. Hoping my saliva test has some answers for me.

Good luck to you!

JohnP
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
I just read JohnP's post on his extensive research and the possibility of cortisol levels rising too high in women and it has me wondering what I should do.

Questions: does it get easier over time? Do you think I should continue with this or just go back to the skipping breakfast where I end up fasting for about 17 hours at a time? I'm a food addict and I'm very unhappy in this weight. It really gets me down a lot. I guess I'm seeking advice, encouragement, support or a smack in the face. ;)

Personally - I think it most definately gets easier over time. If you were that lethargic including the next day I would guess you're consuming a diet high in carbs and your body is getting most of it's energy needs met by your carbohydrate consumption. Is this correct? Assuming it is correct than your body will adjust and pretty quickly.

Speaking of carbohydrates - although calories are responsible for fat loss or gain lowering carb intake can be very helpful for a number of reasons. The big reason is lowering total caloric intake. Lowering carb intake is going to automatically lower caloric intake for most people.

As to which plan you follow, follow the one you find easiest. I find it easiest to skip breakfast daily but you're not me.

As for cortisol - I wouldn't worry about it. I would call my research "extensive" I just read a lot about it but what I have read about women and cortisol leads me to believe that it's not just intermittent fasting that causes the problems it's some combination of already low body fat, heavy training load, and intermittent fasting.

BigSky
04-22-2013, 08:05 PM
My problem seems to be that although I can fast 18, 19, 20 hours - sometimes I don't seem to be able to control my caloric intake just by "window" fasting. Because I end up overeating during my window just to make up for lost time.
I read Mosely's book. He says to fast (500-600 cal.) twice a week, then eat "normally" the other days. (whatever that means) Regardless, I have also tried alternate day calorie restriction and found it no harder, or easier, than partial-day fasting programs such as Fast-5. I know there's no magic here. It's all about calories.

luckymommy
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Georgia, thanks for your support. It sounds like you have been through a lot and I'm really impressed with your tenacity. I, too, hope your saliva test reveals something useful.

JohnP, as always, you provide me with some valuable info, which is much appreciated. For that, I'll use your favorite emoticon: :D Am I right? ;) I'm going to stick to this plan as long as I can and see if I do feel better over time. I've been eating tons of carbs over the past year but now that I've started this plan, I'm eating less but not really trying to go low carb....more trying to keep full by eating lots of veggies and lean protein with some healthy fat.

BigSky, I'm disappointed to hear that there's no magic to IFing and that it's strictly calories. I was hoping to hear that you lose weight faster because your body taps into fat stores during the fast. I still count calories on my "regular" days because I'm a sick/twisted mind and can't be trusted to eat "normally." If I could do that, I wouldn't have gained most of my weight back.

I wish I could say that any of this is easy and comes naturally to me, but it doesn't. It all is hard. As JohnP says, I need to "embrace the suck." ;)

BigSky
04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
@luckymommy
Like you I also am a food addict. Since I was a little kid. I don't know if it's something in the brain, a mental thing, or genetic. But food is always on my mind when I'm trying to lose weight - which is always.
Some people lose weight with IF, some don't. Just like every single diet or program out there. Shoot, even Bariatric surgery has a 25% failure rate due to regain.
This game we all play is hard stuff. Not that it's a game. One thing for sure, not one single thing works for everyone. All we can do is support and help each other. Thanks 3Fc for that.

JohnP
04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Luckymommy -

Based on your post I'd suggest just skipping breakfast and counting calories. Your focus on eating primarily protein and veggies should serve you well. I wouldn't worry to much about "lean protein" if you're not eating many refined carbs. Nothing wrong with some fat and it helps stave off appetite.

What, if any, exercise program are you following? You didn't mention it that I saw. While exercise is not needed for fat loss it sure is good for your health and for most people helps them stay on track with their diet.

Also, I put the :D in a lot of my posts because my personality is pretty dry so in person what works good makes me seem like a jerk on-line. :D

KTucke7
04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I absolutely agree with the "more protein, less carbs" I'm hearing here, and also with the "nothing wrong with some fat." Fat in the meats we eat has a bad reputation that is largely undeserved. Yes, fat pushes calorie count up, but it also is more satiating than lean in my opinion. You have to count calories too, unfortunately.

Carbs make me draggy. It took me awhile to figure this out, but they do. There is an adjustment period when you cut down on carb intake, but most people find that it passes and then they feel better.

@geoblewiss I know a couple of Type II diabetics that do IF (both Fast-5) and have no problems managing their blood sugar. This is against the advice of their "dietitians" as well, but it's working for them. However, anecdotal results are never a replacement for professional care.

IanG
04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Argh. I need to ask this. Am I with you guys or not?

I think I IF because I skip dinner. But I do drink very hoppy beer in the evenings on a regular basis which I do not count as food.

Am I intermittant fasting? Or am I just weird? Or both?

Cat meet pigeons.

KTucke7
04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
@IanG Technically, fasting means no calorie intake. So, if your beer has calories (and I assume it does) you aren't fasting. Is that what you are asking?

IanG
04-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Yep and thanks. Looks like I'm out of the IF club.

rubidoux
04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
@geoblewiss I know a couple of Type II diabetics that do IF (both Fast-5) and have no problems managing their blood sugar. This is against the advice of their "dietitians" as well, but it's working for them. However, anecdotal results are never a replacement for professional care.

I guess it depends who the professionals are. I think diabetes is a disease that will not go well for people who aren't willing to thoroughly educate themselves and take control w/o anyone else's permission. Every time I have managed to find something that really works for me, I've had a doctor who has said absolutely dont do it. Usually they come around when they see the test results.

Anyway, my opinion on diabetes and IF'ing is that it is maybe the single most powerful too one can use in controling blood sugar. People are normally told to eat five or six times a day. Well that's five or six times a day you're basically screwing up your blood sugar. So each time, if you're in relatively good contro, you start out w a normal b/s, you eat/do meds, have a b/s peak at maybe 1.5 or 2 hours, half the time you end up low a half to one hour after that, and soon there after its time to eat again and start the whole roller coaster over again. I just skip all that -- have a flat blood sugar all day long, work out, do minimal meds, eat very low carb and hardly a blip. As long as I have recovered from my evening meal nicely, my b/s hardly needs any attention from 10 pm through 7 pm the next day.

200poundquest
04-22-2013, 11:28 PM
This topic intrigues me. I'm doing reasonably well on a calorie counting, four meals a day plan, but i've always found small meals to be less than satisfying.

On my "indulgence" days I tend to stay pretty close to my calorie budget but eat two large meals and this seems more satisfying.

I'm not sure why I have never thought to question the idea that you need to eat every so many hours, even though I have noticed that on days when I have had large meals, I often find I'm not hungry for quite a while, while when I eat the smaller meals, I'm definitely ready to eat again in 3 or 4 hours.

Going to have to do some research and experimentation I think.

JohnP
04-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Argh. I need to ask this. Am I with you guys or not?

I think I IF because I skip dinner. But I do drink very hoppy beer in the evenings on a regular basis which I do not count as food.

Am I intermittant fasting? Or am I just weird? Or both?

Cat meet pigeons.

When you consider the macronutrients contained in your average IP brew I'd say you're not IFing.

Maybe if you were drinking a Coors light ... :D

Seriously though - what matters is finding a way of eating you can live with forever that restricts calories so if this is something you can live with than it's as good a plan as any. Heck - you may be able to write a book about this. I've never heard of anyone following this type of plan so ... you may be on to something!

SouthernMaven
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Seriously though - what matters is finding a way of eating you can live with forever that restricts calories so if this is something you can live with than it's as good a plan as any. Heck - you may be able to write a book about this. I've never heard of anyone following this type of plan so ... you may be on to something!

I completely agree! And I've been fascinated with IanG's story - definitely think he's found a unique way of eating that has certainly worked for him.

KTucke7
04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
@rubidoux Thanks for your post! That is what others I know are saying, but not having the condition myself I don't like to say much. Your input is valuable to others with diabetes. I've read posts from other Type I's on the leangains site who have the same experience you had... never better control of blood sugar than when on IF.

IanG
04-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks JohnP and SouthernMaven. It does seem to be working for me, at least for now!

luckymommy
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
JohnP, the reason I like lean meats is because I was under the impression that the fat in meat is saturated so I'd rather have healthier fat such as avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds. If I do buy meat, I get one that is of a lower fat percentage and I don't eat the skin of chicken, etc....but I love salmon, which I plan to buy today if there's anything good that I find.

Re exercise, I used to be avid about going to the gym. However, we moved and I bought an elliptical and wasn't that consistent about it. My semi-valid excuse is that I have chronic daily migraines which make it really hard to workout. I do walk my dog and do some gardening. I try to park far away and walk quite a bit. However, I know it's not the same. I need to get back to my elliptical. More than that though, I know I need to lift weights. Knowing and doing are two different things.

Same goes for the diet. I know I need to restrict calories but my intense addiction to food has made it very difficult. Even yesterday, as I was eating, I found myself losing control. I stayed within my calories but felt unsatisfied. That feeling passed, but I never know when it will strike or how I'll handle it. Once I fall off track, it can last anywhere from a few hours, a day, a week, a month or many months. It's absolutely frightening.

Sorry for veering off track....I know this doesn't really belong in this thread. I'm just grateful to be back on track with something and heading in the right direction.

luckymommy
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
KTucke7, I'm quite certain that I would be better off living with fewer carbs than now, but I just don't think I can stick to that kind of plan for life so that's why I haven't cut them out as much as I should. I want to do something that I can live with forever. I like the IFing because it gives me flexibility and makes me feel like I'm in charge of my diet, instead of the other way around. Too many restrictions and I lose my mind. ;)

KTucke7
04-23-2013, 11:58 AM
You are right about having something you can stick to for life. That's why I like IF so much. I am a lot more likely to be able to eat things I want and stick with the program than other things I have tried.

TripSwitch
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I've been a bit "off my game" when it comes to my IF'ing and actually, my whole "diet" in general the last couple of weeks... just feeling rather unmotivated... At least I'm not hungry in the mornings, but I've definitely been eating later in the evenings than I would like... I think I'm just going to stick with a 14/10 routine and really focus on getting my calories back under control...

Also I seem to be having trouble trying to figure out how to fit IF in around all the running I'm trying to do... so I'm not really sure how to work that all out yet either...

TooManyDimples
04-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Hey everyone. I've recently found my way back to 3FC after some shame time. =)

I started working again about 9 months ago, I was a stay at home mom for 6 years, and the weight just seemed to fly back on. I finally decided it was time to get my sh!t back together so here I am.

When I decided to get back on the wagon I decided to do IF again. I loved it when I did it about a year and a half ago and I'm not even sure why I quite.

I've seemed to figure out a great way to make it work for my schedule. I don't eat at home. My window is 8:30 to 2:30. I have breakfast when I get to work, a big lunch, and maybe a snack right before my window closes. I don't even have to think about food while I'm at home and it's been fantastic so far. No more rushing to deal with breakfast in the morning before we leave and no more coming home tired at night, having to figure out what to have for dinner and then snacking.

So far it's going rather well, I'm still feeling hungry in the evenings but it's completely controllable. Weekends are going pretty well so far too. I do open my window up a bit more because I'm home for so many hours, plus Sunday is my splurge day where I get to have a higher calorie, indulgent meal. I'm thinking about trying a 24 hour fast on Saturday this weekend.

I'm in the middle of week 3 of being back on track, the first 2 I'm down 10.8lbs.

I'm glad I came across this thread. It's always nice to be able to talk to others who are doing the same or similar plans. =)

coffeebrain
04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone, I am starting intermittent fasting on Friday. I ordered a book The 8 Hour Diet, and am really enjoying it. So I'm starting on Friday. I've read about a few other forms of intermittent fasting and feel this one will fit in with my lifestyle.

I have about 60 lbs. to lose and just can't calories anymore.

coffeebrain
04-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Dimples, I'm suffering shame time too. I've been such a flake, on so many diets these last few months.

I went back to calorie counting a few weeks ago and knew it was the same old insanity.

I'm very optimistic about intermittent fasting.

SunnySide99
04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm still coming along great with IF...although I am finding with days getting longer my body is a little confused. I've been stopping eating at 3 or 4 , but with the longer days I tend to want a snack at night, especially when I play tennis or go for a power walk/jog at night. I push through it by drinking water or tea. It looks like I may have to add more hours to my feeding window, but I'm going to give it another week or so.

I tried 5:2 for a couple of days last week and it was not for me.

TooManyDimples - good job on the weight loss and figuring out what works for you!

Good luck coffeebrain!

coffeebrain
04-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks Sunnyside.

I'm going to eat from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Currently, I get up very early and go to sleep early, so for the time being, this will work for me. Also, the book says it can be done every day, or a minimum of 3 days a week. I'm going to do it all week and see how it goes.

BigSky
04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I was just looking at the book jacket for the 8 Hour Diet. "Eat whatever you want"..."Eat as much as you want". Yeah, right. The Fast Diet (5:2) advertises the same. As does the Alternate Day Diet. If only it were true.
Then, when you start reading the books, reality sets in. No, you cannot eat anything or as much as you want during your "window". I mean, look at the nutritional information for a single meal at Fridays, Olive Garden, Burger King. One can easily eat a day's worth of calories, even more than you need - in thirty minutes! So in 8 hours???
They should really stop exaggerating just to sell books. I'm doing IF, but if I believed I could "eat anything" during my window and still lose weight, I would be delusional, I think.

SunnySide99
04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
You cannot eat anything or as much as you want during your "window". I mean, look at the nutritional information for a single meal at Fridays, Olive Garden, Burger King. One can easily eat a day's worth of calories, even more than you need - in thirty minutes! So in 8 hours???
They should really stop exaggerating just to sell books. I'm doing IF, but if I believed I could eat anything during my window, I would be delusional, I think.

I totally agree with you BigSky. I figure IF is kind of hard to sell because it's FREE! :D Plus you can get tons of info online. So people have to put a spin on things to sell books.

TripSwitch
04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
IF works for me... because it's just another strategy to help me restrict calories... and it helps me control my hunger... and I find that I'm just more satisfied with larger meals... So that means fewer of them... Just no way to get around that one unfortunately... ;)

betsy2013
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
I just ignore the "eat anything you want" claims for ANY eating plan......mainly because that's what got me to this point in the first place.

I started on an IF approach in January. Absolutely loved it. Lost weight easily. Swore I would be on it forever. Then I had an issue with a fib, they gave me lots of medications to take to lower the heart rate until I can get a cardioversion done, and I swore that they said to take them with food. So, I switched my eating time and started having a breakfast again.

Well, that didn't work at all. I lost a few pounds this month -- by accident, I think -- but just had the desire to eat constantly. It was like once I had something to eat in the morning, I wanted something to eat all day. I finally had a duh moment and actually looked at the pill bottles. Nothing on them about having to take with food and I checked on line. Guess the doctor just assumed that I ate breakfast and I just assumed that he meant take with food.

So, today I started back on my noon to 8 PM window and all the problems with wanting to eat all day long are gone. I don't know if it's psychological or if my body is just tuned to not want or need food in the mornings.

Anyway, the reason for this rambling post is that I remember several of you saying that you were hungry all the time on IF. I wouldn't say I was hungry all the time while I was having breakfast, but I was definitely eating more. So, you might want to try moving meals around and the time at which you first break your fast. It sure has made a world of difference for me.

SophieCormier
04-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Holy crap, I just read about this today and have been watching videos and reading reviews. I bought Eat Stop Eat and am going to try this tomorrow. I'm going to fast from 6PM tomorrow to 6PM on Saturday. Let's see how well this works for me.

I have a question, would I see results if I only did one day a week do you think? I just love the idea of it being on the weekend. I think doing one during the weekday would be really tough for me.

CocoM
04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi SophieCormier I have been doing this for a few months and from what I have read and my own experience I don't think one day a week would quite do it. over January I got a bit lax with it instead of doing the two days a weeks I sometimes ended up doing one and I found the weight crept back on. But that is just my own experience. You should read the book 'the fast diet' by Dr. Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer. It is so good, and explains all the theories and science behind the idea. And how it orks at its most efficient.

luckymommy
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM
SophieCormier, you don't even have to buy the book to do that plan...you can pretty much get most of the info on the documentary that aired on PBS recently. I found it here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/ I hope that helps.

KTucke7
04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
@Betsy2013 I don't think it is psychological at all. I'm exactly the same way. I don't really have "hunger" and cravings until I eat the first thing of the day. After that first bite, I'm hungry the rest of the day.

TripSwitch
04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Eat Stop Eat didn't work for me... I couldn't get through my workouts... well, actually I could sort of get through them, but I wasn't recovering from them properly... and I could just tell that I was heading for disaster... and just doing the 6pm to 6pm fast once a week didn't help me either... so I scrapped that whole "experiment" pretty quickly...

If you do the math usually just one 24hr period per week with no calories, just doesn't really create that much of an overall deficit for the week to really see much of a loss and even two 24hr period doesn't do much better...

Let's just say as an example someone needs 2000 calories a day to maintain... So they don't eat anything for those two 24hr periods per week, so that gives them a 4000 calorie deficit for the week... Well, if they just cut 500 calories per day that still gets them to a 3500 calorie deficit for the week...

But I guess it really just comes down to whatever way is easiest for someone to achieve that overall calorie restriction so they can lose...

SophieCormier
04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the information everyone! Really appreciate it.
TripSwitch, which IF diet do you recommend?

TripSwitch
04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
TripSwitch, which IF diet do you recommend?

Don't get me wrong... I can definitely see how Eat Stop Eat can work if you can keep your calories in check the rest of the week... And if that schedule of "fasting" works for you... And that's really the key... Finding an IF routine that not only helps you to restrict calories... But one that you can live with... for me that seems to be 16/8... but lately, it's been 14/10... but some days I'll go 18 or 20 hours and be fine... For me it's just a way that I use to keep calories under control... And make my meals more satisfying when I do eat...

BigSky
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
I'd love to hear from anyone who has done, or is doing Dr. Johnson's Alternate Day diet (JUDDD) as well as Fast-5, and how they compare the two programs as far as effectiveness for weight loss and ease in sticking to.

SouthernMaven
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
SophieCormier, you don't even have to buy the book to do that plan...you can pretty much get most of the info on the documentary that aired on PBS recently. I found it here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/ I hope that helps.

I love this video. Someone had posted it elsewhere a while back and I was intrigued when I watched it.

I have actually fasted in the past - not for weight loss, per se - so I don't have a big problem going without food for 24 hours. Even though I'm not doing IF, my eating pattern sort of falls along those lines. So to see that IF can have health benefits beyond weight loss was very interesting to me.

If I WERE to adopt this WOE, I think it would be easier for me to go completely without food rather than eat 500 calories. I've done it in the past for medical procedures and have had no problems with it. Not sure if I could do it twice a week for an extended period of time, however.

A little OT, but I just have to say that the CRON way of eating seems so bizarre. Joe Cordell (of Cordell & Cordell - A Partner Men Can Count On! - I knew his voice was familiar) looks like a scarecrow. He may be extraordinarily healthy, but he doesn't look it. But that's just my opinion.

TripSwitch
04-26-2013, 05:20 PM
A little OT, but I just have to say that the CRON way of eating seems so bizarre.

The joke that I heard about CRON that I liked was "You won't actually live longer... It will just feel that way... :D

SouthernMaven
04-26-2013, 06:00 PM
The joke that I heard about CRON that I liked was "You won't actually live longer... It will just feel that way... :D

TripSwitch, thanks for the belly laugh of the day! My husband asked me what was so funny!

Who wants to live to 120 if they're starving all the time? :(

ebb&flow
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a question for anyone who can answer. In the PBS video linked by luckymommy it talks about IGF-1 and fasting. It covered the changes in levels measured after the 3.5 and the alternate day fasting. Does anyone know of research about IGF and the other types of IF in humans? Could you like the video or study?

pattygirl63
04-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I haven't been here in a while. I have actually been reading and researching how I need to be eating because of my blood sugar etc.

I love Intuitive Eating, but also feel the short time I did IF was good for me but really didn't really realize the all the benefits. Today I found on YouTube a message by a Dr. Lara called Intermittant Fasting 101.. How to begin Intermittant Fasting. It started out telling a story about a woman who lost 80 lbs doing IF and then when he finishes telling her story and showing her before and after pics, he tells that the woman is his wife. He goes into what the benefits are of IF and how it works. Explains how he has his patients do IF. I am starting back on using IF with IE.

This is the way to the website for anyone who might like to see it, especially if some one is thinking about doing IF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo

Have a great day.

pattygirl63
04-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi SophieCormier I have been doing this for a few months and from what I have read and my own experience I don't think one day a week would quite do it. over January I got a bit lax with it instead of doing the two days a weeks I sometimes ended up doing one and I found the weight crept back on. But that is just my own experience. You should read the book 'the fast diet' by Dr. Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer. It is so good, and explains all the theories and science behind the idea. And how it works at its most efficient.

I saw an Interview with Dr. Mosley on YouTube when I was researching IE. I just feel I wanted to buy another book, but I found his plan quite interesting. When I first saw 5:2, I thought it was 2 days of all day fasting (which I knew I had no desire to do), but I was amazed to find it was 2 days of 500 to 600 calories which I think is very doable. However, I usually do a 16/8 IF and have done a 5 hr window depending on hunger and what is going on that day. IF is so similar to the way I ate as a teenager so is really easy for me to do as long as I keep myself from trying some "new" diet. I also have to beware of the "you can eat all you want of anything you want etc" mentality as well.

SouthernMaven
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I haven't been here in a while. I have actually been reading and researching how I need to be eating because of my blood sugar etc.

I love Intuitive Eating, but also feel the short time I did IF was good for me but really didn't really realize the all the benefits. Today I found on YouTube a message by a Dr. Lara called Intermittant Fasting 101.. How to begin Intermittant Fasting. It started out telling a story about a woman who lost 80 lbs doing IF and then when he finishes telling her story and showing her before and after pics, he tells that the woman is his wife. He goes into what the benefits are of IF and how it works. Explains how he has his patients do IF. I am starting back on using IF with IE.

This is the way to the website for anyone who might like to see it, especially if some one is thinking about doing IF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo

Have a great day.

Trish - I hope this works out for you. As I've posted here before, my IE pattern of eating generally has me fasting anywhere from 18 to as long as 24 hours. There are exceptions, but I'd estimate I do this 3 or 4 times a week on average. So the health benefits of IF are of interest to me, more so than weight loss.

I "watched" the video (more listened than watched) and although I have no interest in following his IF plan, I did find his information regarding the Omega 3's and the BCAA's interesting. I'm assuming they would have benefits even to those of us not IF'ing. (not intentionally, anyway)

Let us know how it goes for you.

pattygirl63
04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Trish - I hope this works out for you. As I've posted here before, my IE pattern of eating generally has me fasting anywhere from 18 to as long as 24 hours. There are exceptions, but I'd estimate I do this 3 or 4 times a week on average. So the health benefits of IF are of interest to me, more so than weight loss.

I "watched" the video (more listened than watched) and although I have no interest in following his IF plan, I did find his information regarding the Omega 3's and the BCAA's interesting. I'm assuming they would have benefits even to those of us not IF'ing. (not intentionally, anyway)

Let us know how it goes for you.

I found that all interesting too. I actually didn't purposely do IF. I just automatically don't eat until around noon or later any way, but I do need a cut off time at night. I like the 16/8 most days and occasionally a 19/5 ratio of eating. So when I heard the benefits, I decided why not make it a regular way of eating. I also liked info I found on 5:2, but I don't want to have to count calories even for 2 days a week. The 16/8 is so much easier and IE compatable.

Thinforme
04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
I am just starting IF, I did 23 hours today with a one hour window. This was just for today though I wanted to see how "tough" it could be excluding a headache around hour twenty it wasn't to bad. Starting tomorrow I will do a 16/8 window along with healthy eating and calorie counting. I've been stuck all month so I am hoping this will help and allow enough control to be useful and satisfying.

TripSwitch
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
I will do a 16/8 window along with healthy eating and calorie counting.

This sounds just like what I do... And it's worked pretty well for me so far... Looking forward to hearing how it works for you... keep up posted... Good luck!

betsy2013
04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I have discovered something interesting with IF. Obviously I can't just stop eating altogether, but yesterday I had a doctor's appointment at 1:15, and I never eat before an appointment. I finally ended up eating dinner at about 6 and that was my only meal yesterday. But then the urge to snack hit like a ton of bricks. I'm definitely one of those people who could probably go without eating for long stretches, but feels the need to snack constantly once I start eating.

Good to know -- now I have to figure out how to control this better.

krampus
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I think that's just your body telling you to eat more because unless you ate a whole day's worth of calories at dinner, it wasn't enough.

TripSwitch
04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I have discovered something interesting with IF. Obviously I can't just stop eating altogether, but yesterday I had a doctor's appointment at 1:15, and I never eat before an appointment. I finally ended up eating dinner at about 6 and that was my only meal yesterday. But then the urge to snack hit like a ton of bricks. I'm definitely one of those people who could probably go without eating for long stretches, but feels the need to snack constantly once I start eating.

Good to know -- now I have to figure out how to control this better.

I've had this happen as well... and I often wonder how much of it is "psychological" and how much of it is actual physiological hunger... because to me it does feel like once I start eating I've flipped on a "switch" and it's very hard to turn off...

sunrise
04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone.

I've been hearing so much about intermittent fasting. I've actually read two books about it (different plans), and I'm going to start doing this. One of the books says to count calories (500) for two days a week and then eat normally the other five. The other book is called The 8 Hour Diet and is just that. You eat for only 8 hours a day, fasting for 16. For me, that seems more doable.

So, I'll start tomorrow and be checking in here. Just curious...is there one particular diet that seems to be the most popular around here?