Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb 18 - Feb 24

BillBlueEyes
02-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Happy Presidents' Day for those celebrating in the U.S.! Hope everyone has a vacation day.

I avoided horizontal snow yesterday - haven't seen that in a few years. It didn't leave much on the ground, just nasty to be in.

I've run up a few days without extra snacks. Only a big deal because I had fallen into an excess snacking pattern. It might be related to cabin fever. February is the "cruelest month" in my opinion, with all due respect to T. S. Eliot. DW insists that April really is because she begins to yearn to be gardening. I'm just interested in getting out of the house.

WardHog
02-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Good morning. DH and the kids are home today - I just want to get back into my routine.

ICUwishing
02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Bill, I wish I had a vacation day today! :) We had a few minutes of the horizontal snow on Saturday, and it was just enough to lay a nice polish on a local section of freeway and cause a terrible accident. Congrats on the days without snacks! I completely agree with you about February being the worst month. Winter needs to GO AWAY. I'm tired of being cold! Next month should have a few teasers of warm weather to let us know we're coming out from under. Hoping that it's not too warm for too long, and the silly trees blossom too early again. I don't think Michigan farmers want another year like last year!

dagmar, sounds like DH needs to get off his fanny. Don't know if he'd respond to the fact that housework counts as exercise - worth a shot! And you don't have to go outside in the cold to do it, which is a bonus. Hang in there - it WILL get better. :hug:

allison, in the last couple of years, I've not only had to quit drinking coffee after 11am, but I'm also (this is taking a while because I want so badly for it not to be true) finding that I have to stop at 16oz no matter how early. I LOVE my dark, chewy French Roasts ... and much to my distress, my consumption of it is directly related to the quality of sleep I get. Sounds like a really healthy raccoon! He/she must know where all the goodies in the park can be found!

michele, nice job with getting out to the social scene. Sounds like you handled it very well! Yikes with the stairs! I can imagine a big dog crashing into you with little dog might have almost been funny ... on a different surface and in a different time. Glad that all three of you survived it!

Chris, good to hear that you're emerging from the "bad place". My son calls it "funking out" and fortunately, doesn't connect it with food. It definitely is challenging to wait out the detox when sugar's involved.

Sheila, I am so looking forward to getting outside for a walk - can you send me just one decent weekend sunny day? Today is going to be 41 - a nice increase, but it won't last. :( Back into the 20's tomorrow. Bleah!

Spent the weekend in Frankenmuth; the choir was performing Noyes' Fludde (Noah's Flood), a Benjamin Britten children's opera. It was a lot of fun. DS and I went to the rather infamous brunch at the hotel; it's been a very long time since I faced a buffet. I enjoyed what I had and the food was surprisingly high quality. Only the strawberry mousse was memorable.

My cold is 99% gone, so I'm resuming normal activities. Which isn't saying that much, really - but me and the TRX will be getting reacquainted tomorrow morning.

It should be an interesting week. DS auditions for a spot in the HS swing choir on Wed; it's a highly-ranked and very competitive group. He has mixed feelings about it - he wants to do it, but it will mean that he has to give up the boychoir because of conflicting evening practice schedules. :( If he doesn't make the swing choir, he'll definitely get into the varsity vocals, which is much less work but won't be even a trivial challenge - however, he could still be in the boychoir. Dilemma! I'm not sure what he's going to do.

CherryPie99
02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Hello all!

Here I am crawling back into chat. Thanks to all who supported me through my meltdown of last week! It is much appreciated. So many of us seem to be going through this, though, is there something in the water?

I had an excellent weekend on being not 100% but close to food wise and did a ton of exercise. We have been in the process of expanding our workout room, so I painted and put down carpet and we cleaned and then organized the room. There is SO much more room down there now! So I feel accomplished.

Plus I was happily rewarded with my weight being back down. Red line is 120 and I am 118.2 this morning. I hate that a small bounce in the scale can effect my mood that much, but it is what it is at this moment in my life.

I'm lucky enough to have the day off, but my SUV is dying a slow death so I am going to look at new vehicles which I hate.

Wish me luck and Happy Monday everyone!

Jen

alinnell
02-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Good morning and Happy President's Day! Today would have been a holiday for me, but we're heading into the office soon to start packing DH's office. I don't know when we'd be able to do this otherwise as he gets so many interruptions and distractions during the week.

I'm not discussing my weight at the moment.

Sheila53
02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Bill, horizontal snow? I'm assuming it's snowing and really windy so the snow doesn't fall straight down? Never experienced horizontal snow. The weirdest "snow" I've seen was gropple in June 2011. I'd never heard of gropple before then.

ICU, I'd love to send everyone some good weather. It made for a nice respite from the grey days of winter. If I were still living in the Pacific Northwest, it would be grey, but flowers would be starting to poke their heads up, which is always a cheery sight. Glad your cold is just about gone. I'll be interested in hearing what DS decides to do.

Jen, good luck! What are you interested in buying? Same SUV or something different? Congrats on the good weekend.

Allison, packing, yuck. But it will all be worth it in the end.

Today is my first day since last fall that I won't be going to the gym. The LiveStrong program is over, and I can't justify the expense. My DH joined, but he really needs the structure. So it's back to working out on my own. At least now I have a lot of new TRX routines. Monday is always a great day for me because I have "coffee ladies" at 1:00 pm. Nothing like spending a couple of hours with smart, fun ladies having good conversation over a cup of coffee.

bargoo
02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Sheila, thanks for giving us the word for the day. I had to google gropple to find out what it is, and I was born and raised in Minnesota where we see plenty of snow.

traveling michele
02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Hello all!

Here I am crawling back into chat. Thanks to all who supported me through my meltdown of last week! It is much appreciated. So many of us seem to be going through this, though, is there something in the water?

Jen-- I've been thinking about this and I think it is a combination of things for many of us. Even if we aren't actively trying to lose weight, come January we all get caught up with everyone excited about being healthy-- people talking about losing weight-- eating healthy-- exercising-- etc. Much of that dies down come February and that coupled with winter doldrums may cause a letdown in moods for many of us. Just a thought.

All this talk of snow has me a little anxious. I HATE cold weather and have told dh I would NEVER move anywhere cold. I still doubt our *possible* move would come to fruition, but if it did, it would be to Louisville. At first I thought-- that's in the South--but when I looked up the weather there it is cold and they get.....gulp....snow..... I was born in Connecticut and lived in Massachusetts as a child, but since then I have lived in Houston, South Africa and California.

I'm excited to have the day off. I have planned a full day-- I don't understand just wasting a day off. I'm off to Bikram Yoga soon, then to run a few errands, lunch, to donate blood, and to get my nails done. I've been craving PF Changs so I may go there for lunch by myself. I have a healthy(ish) lunch that I like to get there. It's at the mall and I need to go to Nordstrom to try to return a Christmas present (I hope they will still take back winter gloves!).

Here's to a highly successful week for everyone!!:carrot::carrot:

Ishbel
02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey Hey Everyone,

Jen I like shopping for vehicles! I just dislike paying for them! :D

Sheila I had to google gropple as well (almost typed google google there). We get a lot of blizzards here...it's always windy! ;/ We're pretty flat where I live (but I was raised in a massive forested area so the wind is hard to get used too).

Been MIA for a bit, but I'm still here and lurking once in a while. I think my nemesis is simple sugars so I'm committed to keeping them out of my diet for a while. Even if I have a bit when I relax a bit on the weekend...it really affects my week and how bad my cravings can be. So this past weekend, NONE..even closed the cupboard door on the chocolate and just the next day it was easier. If I want sugar, it must be a fruit preferably berries.

Hope you all have a great day!

alinnell
02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Too funny. The Tripawds website just posted a new app available for iPhones--The Fat Dog app designed to help your dog lose weight!

Megan1982
02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Morning all,

I had a nice, relaxing weekend. I took the dog for loooong walks, did my taxes, had a guitar night w friends, and BF and I just hung out at the house Friday & Saturday evenings watching movies, listening to music, and playing Monopoly, which neither of us have played in years. It was nice to find some different things to do and not end up at the same watering hole down the street. BF is not exactly on his diet train still food-wise (though as I said before he never ate that badly), but is still limiting his alcohol intake.

Of course my weekend ended abruptly at 5:00 AM this morning when the dog decided to throw up all of the salt water she drank at the beach yesterday. Ick. Cleaned up, got another hour of sleep and off to work today. No holiday here.

Confession time. I have once again fallen off my "losing" plan for the past two weeks or so. I've had tons of leftovers in the house, and the part of me that hates to waste has tried to eat them all, while the lazy part of me was excited I didn't have to cook. Being able to get out and exercise over the weekend helped clear my head a bit. I think mentally I'm back on track, but will just show it by physically doing it over the next few days. I was too chicken to step on the scale this AM. I hope to just keep February from being a total loss (er, gain) at this point.

Ishbel, simple sugars (or really simple carbs in general) are my nemesis as well. They just make me so snacky, feeling hunger, wanting more more more. Fruit is fine and doesn't do it to me. It is so hard to control. I need to keep them OUT of the house (unlike the last week).

Jen and Becky, I agree, maybe the winter doldrums as well as some diet fatigue, plus Valentine's chocolate, causes the meltdown this time of year. For me, it's really hard for me to see images of, talk about, think about health and weight loss constantly. I really have to walk a fine line because when I'm POP, I'm thinking about it a lot. If I go over the edge I snap, though.

Michele, enjoy your day off! Sounds like a nice, busy day.

Sheila, enjoy your coffee ladies. It sounds like a lot of fun. Reminds me of my description of my book club.

Alison, good luck packing.

Bill, brrrr. Stay warm. Good job staying away from the extra snacks.

paperclippy
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Michele, if you moved to Louisville we'd practically be neighbors! :lol: Seriously though, Louisville is about 2 hours drive south of Indianapolis. It's enough of a difference for Louisville to be generally warmer than it is here, but as far as "the south" goes it's about as far north as you can get. Still doing okay after your fall on the stairs last week?

Jen and Becky, I find that the Feb-March time frame is when people who live in colder climates tend to get generally depressed and feel crappy. It's been cold for so long that we're all ready for spring, but the fact that spring is still a couple months away is depressing. I admit that lately I've been splurging and buying a lot of imported fruits and veggies because I want to be eating summery food. Usually I try to eat more seasonally, but now I'm like, screw it, I want blueberries and tomatoes. They're not as good as when they're in season, and they cost more, but I am sick of stews and root vegetables.

No President's Day holiday for me either, but at least it's warm(er) out today. We had some drama with MIL at the end of last week about baby showers and such, but I believe it's sorted out now. MIL is excessively baby crazy and keeps making all sorts of incorrect assumptions about what we want/don't want/are concerned about. We basically told her that she shouldn't assume anything, if she has questions send them to DH, and if she feels like she needs to go buy stuff she should stick to baby clothes because if she buys clothes we don't like it's no big deal since they'll only last a couple months. Also, generally I'm fine with all baby clothes as long as they don't have snotty remarks written on them (like those baby shirts that say "spoiled" or "mommy loves me best" or some such).

I have to admit, the more baby stuff I see, the more annoyed I get about how early we start gender stereotyping. We went with MIL to a clothing store Saturday, and it was divided into girls' and boys' sections even for infant clothes. The girls' section was full of pink, purple, and flowers. The boys' section was every other color, plus animals and other designs. Since when do girls not get clothes with elephants and doggies on them? Or like, yellow or green clothes? And why are dinosaurs and outer space only for boys? Why can't boys have pink flowers? I mean, these kids are like less than a year old. I hardly think they will even know or care if they're wearing pink or blue. The only reason we have this divide is so that people can figure out whether the baby they're looking at is a boy or a girl because at that age you can't tell them apart based on appearance, which begs the question -- at that age, why do you care if it's a boy or a girl? Are you going to treat my infant differently if you think it's a boy than you would if it was a girl? I would hope not.

Okay, sorry, rant over.

alinnell
02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, bad news.

I got the call from the cable company and it's a no go for us switching to their phone system. And we can't even take our cable internet with us because they don't service that area. Really? A business park that has been around for some 20+ years and they don't have cable (and it's next door to a new school). So I'm 1) forced to stick with Verizon 2) forced to change my phone numbers and 3) forced to go with Verizon for our internet and it isn't even their high speed Fios internet.

Mudpie
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
jessicaSome people get very embarrassed when they get a baby's gender wrong :shrug: - hence the tip off with the clothes. But then the kids do get into the stereotyping. Ever see a gaggle of preschool kids? Almost all the girls already are in pink and purple - and it's their choice now. Yikes!

We have our February long weekend holiday today - "Family Day". My vote would have gone to "February Blows Day" :lol3: I'm dogsitting so kinda forgot all about it.

I'm across the street from the house I just sold so it's kinda weird. I went over and made my final selections of my mom's stuff I will save. I took 4 plastic tubs and that was it. Once they were full I walked away.

My cousin's wife and her older daughter came over and they went crazy for crystal, china, and art books! :cheer2: Took away their SUV loaded down - :cheer: Last time I looked DH was running around in that house with cardboard boxes and books and albums and stuff all over the place. He is clearing it out and selling and sorting and all that great stuff. :D

Better him than me. I need some distance now. Which is totally ironic as I'm across the street until next Monday evening. :dizzy:

Dagmar :coolsnow:

bargoo
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Allison, a gazillion years ago I worked for the telephone company, I worked for GTE now Verizon. It was possible at that time to have a telephone fron one exchamge in another. As an example you could have your present number at your new address, at the time it was called a Foreign Exchange and it would cost you more but in your case would be worth it. My suggestion call telephone company tomorrow for your new address and tell them you want to bring your old number to your new address. Be sure and talk to a business rep. If they say it can't be done call your present tel co and tell them you want to pay extra to keep your phone number.
It is a long time ago when I worked there but I don't see any reason that it can't be done. As an example I worked in a small town about 25 miles from San Jose. Different tel exchanges , different numbers, etc. It was not unusual for businesses in our small town to want a San Jose number for business reasons. I have known of many such instances as I was part of the ordering process.

alinnell
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
bargoo~they don't offer that any longer. Instead they offer to keep our current numbers "alive" and call forward if that number is dialed. It'll at least allow us to re-order all our paperwork with our new phone numbers.

bargoo
02-18-2013, 04:41 PM
bargoo~they don't offer that any longer. Instead they offer to keep our current numbers "alive" and call forward if that number is dialed. It'll at least allow us to re-order all our paperwork with our new phone numbers.
That is really too bad, I guess the best you can do is get a referral of calls and lots of advertising. Sorry.

paperclippy
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Allison, have you checked to see if you can migrate your existing number to Google Voice, and then have Google Voice forward to your new number?

alinnell
02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, we really don't do advertising. We're not a retail shop--we rely on our base of contractors, so making sure they have our new number will be our #1 goal. I didn't want to have to inform all our past customers, but we may need to do that because we do get calls from prior customers to come and fix this or that.

My thoughts now are when we get a call, we'll ask what number they called, and if they called the old number and were re-routed, we'll be sure to ask them to write down the new number.

traveling michele
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Still doing okay after your fall on the stairs last week?

Yes, I seem fine today, thankfully. I tried to donate blood but I was anemic unfortunately and turned away today. I'm sure that has nothing to do with my fall yesterday! My pulse and blood pressure were great anyway. I probably need to eat some meat before I try next time.

WardHog
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, so much for getting back to my routine. I think my DD has the flu. Aarrgh!

CherryPie99
02-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, it took all day, but I drove home in a brand spanking new 2013 Ford Edge. I had a Pontiac Aztek that I LOVED LOVED LOVED but Pontiac is out of business so.....

I haven't had car payment in years, so I'm having some doubts, but my Pontiac was going to take about 2,000 to repair and there was a certain relief driving home and not having to worry about taking a vehicle in to be repaired next month when inspection was due.

This Edge has lot of bells and whistles - it's going to take me a while to learn everything!

alinnell
02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
CherryPie~congrats on the new car! DH wants a new Explorer. Thankfully our Ford dealer needs some work done on a remodel, so we're working out a trade.

WardHog~wow, you can't catch a break! Sorry that there is another sicko in the family.

Well, the phone woes are over. We've moved on. We'll have call forwarding for as long as we want (I'll monitor the bill and cancel when we have no new calls--or 6 months, whichever is sooner). After we cancel, we'll have 6 months free of "the number you have dialed has changed, the new number is.....). I have decided to send out an email to all contacts we have asking them, politely, to make note of our new phone and fax numbers. Other than that, what can we do? We'll eventually reorder new supplies, but some (like our invoices, we can XXX out the phone number and print a fresh one underneath). Why does one really need the phone number on the checks, anyway?

saef
02-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Back from a long weekend in Santa Fe and wiped out. I walked around a lot but no gym, and no running, even though I'd brought gym clothes & sneakers, so I feel penitent. But I don't know if I could have run. I was amazed to find my chest feeling a little tight going up a flight of stairs the day after I arrived, and for a moment thought that all the time that I clock weekly on the Stairmaster at my gym was in vain, until I remembered that one has to adapt to the altitude at such places. I wonder how long that takes? I arrived Friday and left late Monday. It wasn't exactly warm there, but warmer than here in NY, and more important, it was incredibly sunny and cloudless. I feel like I wore sunglasses everywhere.

Now to bed, to recover ... and on the scale tomorrow & back to the gym.

ChrisMohr
02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Saef, Santa Fe is 7000' high so even worse altitude adjusting than Denver! It can take one day to a week to adjust. I've hiked with professional athletes who can't keep up with me at high altitudes just because I'm used to it!

saef
02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Chris, thanks for that explanation, as the friend I was visiting there wasn't athletic, though her husband is, so she did not have a lot of insight on the effects of altitude. She did tell me that her husband tried to run a day or two after they first moved there and could barely make it down the road. My level of fitness did help me, as I saw that friends were more tired by walking and climbing hillsides than I was. Shame, because the cloudless weather and iceless roads and lack of cars in the development where my friends live made me think this was ideal for running.

I am jet-lagged this morning but on my way back to the gym. Eventually.

alinnell
02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
When I lived in SLC, I used to ski a lot. Even the change in altitude from the valley to the mountaintop would cause me to run out of breath while skiing. Altitude is a kicker! Santa Fe is beautiful! Never been there in the winter, though.

Sheila53
02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you had a great time, saef. Santa Fe is such a fun town.

When I lived in Oregon, I would visit my son in Boise. I was used to running 3 miles, but could barely make one. I couldn't figure it out until I remembered that Boise is 3000 feet higher than sea level Oregon, and even 3000 ft. makes a difference. When we moved to 5000 ft Colorado, it took me a week of headaches and slowly climbing stairs to adjust.

CherryPie, congrats on the new car! I'm going to have to google Edge to see what it looks like.

Michele, do you take calcium supplements? That can lower iron levels and prevent you from donating. I used to have to quit taking calcium for a week so that my iron levels would be up enough to donate--got that advice from the Red Cross nurse. Got tired of doing that (and feeling so weak after donating because the iron levels were barely acceptable) that I just stopped.

traveling michele
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Michele, do you take calcium supplements? That can lower iron levels and prevent you from donating. I used to have to quit taking calcium for a week so that my iron levels would be up enough to donate--got that advice from the Red Cross nurse. Got tired of doing that (and feeling so weak after donating because the iron levels were barely acceptable) that I just stopped.

Really?! I had no idea. Yes, I take calcium as I have osteopenia and my mother had severe osteoporosis. Hmmmm..... guess I could not take them for a few days and eat a little meat and see if that helps. I'm always borderline and my doctor doesn't like it, but she has never once mentioned the calcium. Interesting....

bargoo
02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Jen, I did google the Ford Edge, a beautiful car. I just love that new car smell.

Shannon in ATL
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Jen - I love the Ford Edge. Just love it. When I traded in my CRV last summer I almost got an Edge or an Escape, but I was looking for a lower car payment and that wouldn't have helped me any. I love my Focus, though. What do you think of the Sync system? Is yours one with the MyFord Touch? I like it, but it has taken some time to learn.

Sheila - I had to google gropple as well. I'm sorry your LiveStrong program expired, were you saying there was another one coming up soon you could register for?

Michele - I missed your fall, I'm going to have to read back last week. I'm glad that you are okay! My MIL fell last week on the stairs also, and we are pretty sure that she has cracked ribs that they missed.

Saef - I'm glad that you had a good trip. The altitude in Santa Fe can be tough. I had a friend who moved from here in Atlanta to AZ and it took him weeks to really feel comfortable.

Allison - sorry that they can't move your phone number! Bah.

Ward - the flu and strep have been everywhere lately. Get her to the doctor for Tamiflu, it will help shorten the duration of the illness. Sorry that things are still so chaotic in your house, that is frustrating.

Bill - it is easy to get in an excess snacking pattern in the house at loose ends. Good job on climbing back out of it. I agree that Feb is a tough month - even down here where it is warmer I feel trapped in the house this month with all the rain. We can garden earlier though, like your DW I'm looking forward to that.

Becky - good luck to DS in his choir auditions. And glad you are recovering from your cold. I may be getting one. Again.

Ishbel -I've finally realized that sugars kill me. I managed to start a craving cycle last week that it took days to get out of, and I think it came from the homemade honey wheat bread I ate last Monday. It was like popping the top off of a big bottle of crazy and I was out of control for days.

Megan - you can get back on plan. Absolutely. Is it pouring down rain down there today like it is here? I want to get outside and walk around, but it is wet.

Jessica - when DSS was little I got annoyed by the same gender stereotyping thing. They are infants, who cares if they are wearing fruit or animals or flowers? I tried to buy things that were more neutral, I think that would be harder for little girls though.

Dagmar - cleaning out the sold house is the hardest part. I'm glad that DH is doing a lot of that for you. :)

I'm going to be better this week. I ranted about my week last week in the Staying Lean thread, and I'm determined to be better this week. I'm trying to go cold turkey today on hormone and craving related snacking to see if that helps. I also need to refresh myself on how to rehabilitate my again messed up IT Band. Need to review the things I said to Jen about it when hers was out of sorts. This week will be better. Absolutely. Winter is almost over, it will be sunny and time to plant my little seedlings that are sprouting upstairs soon.

paperclippy
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Last night I had a night full of food dreams! I dreamed that I was with a bunch of pregnant women and the instructor of my childbirth class, and we were in early labor, and she was making us set up a dessert buffet to occupy ourselves. I was annoyed because I was tired and just wanted to eat the desserts instead of putting them out on the table, so I grabbed a fork and started eating pie. Then I dreamed that I was on the phone with my mom and telling her that I was going to go buy donuts because I really wanted donuts, and she was giving me some kind of vague guilt trip about getting fat from eating donuts, and I was trying to assure her that I was only going to eat two, not an entire dozen, so it was okay.

I attribute these dreams to two things: being exhausted after a really long childbirth class last night where we talked about labor a lot, and having eaten donuts for the first time in ages last week.

Jen, congrats on the new car! When I hear Ford Edge I just think of that commercial they had a few years back with that song, "I like to live on the eeeeed-geeee!" :lol:

Shannon, too bad that your IT band got messed up again. I hope you get better soon!

Megan1982
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

I've got my BF hooked on raw massaged kale salads. Last night I cleaned a huge batch of mesclun mix and lettuce from the garden for our salads this week, and asked him to try the arugula and see if he liked it, bc it's too peppery for me. He loved it. Then he asked "if we could massage it" like kale. So I gave him some EVOO and salt and let him massage away. Then he discovered the "mustard red giant" leaves in the mesclun mix I was washing. He happily chomped on these leaves, declaring "they taste just like wasabi!" I don't know why it amuses me so much that he loves greens even more than I do.

Shannon, this week has got to be better, right? You can make it! Looking forward to spring gardening really makes me happy, too. I have another round of snowpea seedlings about ready to plant, and need to put more lettuce seeds in the ground. My lettuce mixes and kale are coming in full force. Yum! It's not raining right now, and I'm hoping it will pass over quickly so I can wog the dog after work. I think it's supposed to rain for several days in a row this weekend.

Jessica, funny dreams. Usually my dessert dreams are triggered when I've abstained from sweets for a long time. My nieces have a few yellow outfits with monkeys, but most of it is pink. I agree with you, why does everything need to be so gender stereotyped? My DS & DH tried to buy some neutral things for their first baby, bc they knew they wanted more kids and hoped to re-use things. But a lot of things were bought for them.

Jen, your Edge looks like a nice car. Enjoy it!

Michele, have you recovered from your fall? Sorry you couldn't donate. How about some black bean and spinach soup? I was anemic a lot through HS and college, but eat a lot more greens and beans now and really think they make the difference for my body. I haven't been anemic when I go to donate blood in quite a while. Interesting about the calcium supplements, I've never heard that.

Alison, sorry about your phone. Good luck getting the messages and new number sorted. But think about all the great things about your new office location!

Have a great day all.

CherryPie99
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the congrats on the car. It makes me feel a little better - I feel kind of guilty spending the money on myself - don't ask me why! I have no kids but I tend to hoard money - hmmm...wonder if that's related to my weight issues?

Shannon - it does have the Sync system! It is cool and freaky - I tell my car to turn up the heat and it does! Or tune to a radio station and it turns it!! Maybe that is not new to many of you, but I've never had anything like it!! I'm really excited about the built in navigation and it also has a backup camera. Which is good for everyone behind me LOL

Anyone want to see a pic?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yy4fht.jpg

Shannon in ATL
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Ooo, love the car Jen. And the Sync is fabulous. Do you have an iPod? Hooking that up and playing through the USB in is pretty awesome, too.

WardHog
02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
ooh, very pretty! I drive a '99 VW so I don't have any of those cool gadgets! wah!

saef
02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Jen, I don't even have a smartphone, so your car is blowing my mind. It is formidable -- it looks like it could get you home through any kind of weather whatsoever.

I dragged myself around my apartment all day, jet-lagged, thankful I'd taken the day off, and bingeing on the Internet, since I'd been unplugged completely for three days straight. At least I got unpacked. And went to the grocery store for more produce and roasted a tray of veggies & also some turnips. Couldn't make myself go to the gym till the evening, after dinner. Now I need to head to bed and I'm not tired yet. But I must sleep because within a half-hour of my return to the Stamford office tomorrow, my boss wants me to present something at the staff meeting. It's going to feel like I never had a long weekend at all. Sigh.

Mudpie
02-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Jen, I don't even have a smartphone, so your car is blowing my mind. It is formidable -- it looks like it could get you home through any kind of weather whatsoever.

I dragged myself around my apartment all day, jet-lagged, thankful I'd taken the day off, and bingeing on the Internet, since I'd been unplugged completely for three days straight. At least I got unpacked. And went to the grocery store for more produce and roasted a tray of veggies & also some turnips. Couldn't make myself go to the gym till the evening, after dinner. Now I need to head to bed and I'm not tired yet. But I must sleep because within a half-hour of my return to the Stamford office tomorrow, my boss wants me to present something at the staff meeting. It's going to feel like I never had a long weekend at all. Sigh.

I was going to take a vacation in Santa Fe (and see things near it like the Georgia O'Keefe museum and the desert etc.) but the logistics and time it took to get from Toronto (not that far from where you flew out in airplane time) to there were kinda mind-boggling. Apparently there's no direct flight from Toronto to Santa Fe so you have to lay over somewhere else and then take another connection.

I would have gone for 9 days. Going for just a long weekend is quite a formidable thing in terms of travel time and jet lag.

Dagmar :dizzy:

BillBlueEyes
02-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Love the image that the Ford Edge is an iPhone on wheels.

Perhaps it can be programmed with helpful suggestions, e.g. "Do you really need that donut?"

Mudpie
02-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Looks like DH will be unemployed in 2 weeks. More stress we don't need. I hope the house closing goes smoothly. At least that will be done. I'm kinda glad I'm dogsitting right now. I don't have to listen to the endless plans of what DH is going to do. Not doing, going to do.

I read a thing by Dr. Phil (not a world authority but someone who sometimes does have common sense) that said that successful people take action. DH discounts anything coming from Oprah and anyone connected with her but Dr. Phil has a point.

I took action years ago and am now respected and successful as a self-employed business person. I took action when I weighed 152 lbs. and am now consistently around 135-138. I took action, hired a personal trainer, and now am strong and still reasonably fit at 56. I have taken action and am going to be able to buy a house as a result.

I keep trying to lead by example. Doesn't seem to be working. Sigh.

Dagmar :tired: of the :blah:

Mudpie
02-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Perhaps it can be programmed with helpful suggestions, e.g. "Do you really need that donut?"

:lol3:

Dagmar

CherryPie99
02-20-2013, 08:38 AM

Ok, I just shot some Pumpkin Spice coffee out of my nose on that one!!

Saef - I'm pretty "up" on technology but this system is somewhat out of this worrld. I can't wait to try the built in navigation. I have a work related trip in 2 weeks to a place where I am not familiar at all, so I think we'll play around with it this weekend so that I'm comfortable using it.

Shannon - I don't have an iPhone - I'm an anti-apple person LOL But I did order a 8GB USB thumb drive that can be plugged in so I can put a ton of albums and songs on there and listen. Plus I get Sirius free for 6 months - HAIR NATION is getting a workout :D

Dagmar - So sorry about your husband becoming unemployed. And I totally get the "things to do list" which seems to get bigger and bigger without anything getting crossed off!

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Jen

paperclippy
02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I still think of my 2006 Subaru Forester as being "new" even though it's seven years old now, but it certainly doesn't have any of those sort of gadgets! :lol: The fanciest thing it has is a weatherband radio and a CD player. But hey, it gets me from point A to point B safely, so that's the important thing. DH is still driving his 2001 Honda Civic. We don't plan on getting a new car until one of ours conks out (likely to be his Civic, it's got 100k miles on it).

I had another food dream last night! This time it was that I was at an all-you-can-eat buffet, but for whatever reason all I ended up eating was pancakes and fruit smoothies, and I think there was zucchini in the smoothie. :shrug:

Dagmar, sorry about your DH's unemployment. Doesn't he have some kind of accounting certification? I'd think he ought to be able to get a job with that.

Megan, how do you "massage" kale? DH has been making us this tuscan kale salad (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP02206/Tuscan-Kale-Salad.html) lately, is it similar to that? (Also, about arugula -- I can't eat it straight, but it makes a nice addition to a salad mix or sandwiches!)

ChrisMohr
02-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Jen,
I don't remember if you are married or not but if some guy takes you out on a date, he'd be wasting his time trying to impress you with his car!! Your new car is really something! And BTW did I read your stats right that you've lost over 200 pounds??? OMG!!!

alinnell
02-20-2013, 09:43 AM
My car is equipped with Sirius radio, but I didn't get anything free and have never activated it. I rely on my iPod in there almost 100% of the time. And I do love the navigation. By far the #1 best part of my last four cars is the heated seats! This is the 3rd car of mine that has voice controls, yet I have neglected to use them on the past two cars as they were too cumbersome to learn. My Infiniti was easier.

I discontinued my Spotify subscription yesterday. I used to listed to it daily at work, and now that we're moving to a smaller office, I really can't listen to it except for Mondays and Tuesdays. My secretary has a radio that I'm sure she'll listen to, so the last three days of the week we'll be listening to oldies. Sigh. Hair bands! Love it! My DD has a playlist of 80's hair bands that is pretty good. I can still listen to it, but will have to endure the ads.

I'm interested in massaging my greens as well. Is it similar to tossing?

I had a dream last night that DH and I had bought a new place (house?) and were finding treasures in the crawl space under it. We found china, mixed glass art (like blown art objects--mostly fish and shells) and then we happened upon a never-used, antique ice box (not fridge--a real ice box). It was intricately decorated inside and out with paintings of food and different sayings about food-even recipes! Such detail for a dream! We kept wondering how on earth we could get it appraised and then sell it.

bargoo
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
My parents bought some lakefront property in Northern Minnesota. My stepfather was a DIY alwasys finding something to redo in some manner. There were several trees on this property and one that he decided needed pruning. In the crotch of this tree with the tree growing around it was a glass jar, in the jar was a hundred dollar bill.

Shannon in ATL
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Jen - I've become an anti-apple person as well (traded in my iPhone and iPad for a Galaxy S2 and a Note 10.1) but got a 160gb iPod from my parents for Christmas. So, I'm taking advantage of it with the Sync. LOL The thumb drive will do the same indexing through USB, I believe. You will love it. I love Hair Nation, too - and lately I've been into Underground Garage.

Dagmar - sorry about DH. :(

Jessica - the food dreams are funny. LOL

Bill - I would love to program my car to point out my bad food choices. That would be fabulous. "Me: Services - directions to nearest McDonalds" "Focus: Do you really want to go to McDonalds, Shannon? How about the nearest Panera Bread instead. Or better, directions to home?"

Saef - I hate the feeling that you never really had time off when you get back to work and get pulled back into the crazy.

Megan - I've had massaged greens, enjoyed them but never thought about doing it myself.

Good day yesterday food wise, light exercise to stretch the ITB. I'm feeling okay so far today. I'm definitely going to buy Brain Over Binge. I don't think I've said it here, but I've worried about myself walking a path leading to bulimic behaviors for a lot of reasons, so when I saw the subtitle it told me I needed to have it. I'm going to get it on Kindle today.

Good day everyone!

CherryPie99
02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Shannon - How is the ITB feeling? I think strengthing and stretching mine has helped a lot - I do Fire Hydrants, Clamshells, glute kickbacks and side leg lifts in addition to foam rolling. Glad I'm not the only hair band lover here!! That's where my nickname comes from! Not the actual pie, but my obsession with Warrant!

Chris - I am married so no one tries to impress me LOL And yes, I have lost 226 pounds as of today (got as low as 228 down but I seem to be holding steady at 226 down).

I took a course while getting my Master's in Dream Analysis so I love reading about everyone's dreams!!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I saw Warrant when they were the opening act for Poison in I think 1988?

Shannon in ATL
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Jessica - I saw this article today and it made me think of you and your post earlier this week about the gender colors. :)
When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html)

alinnell
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I know that my DD wore a lot of Baby Gap stuff when she was little--dark blues, greens, reds. Nothing frilly, and she still doesn't like frilly.

The only thing I was (and still are) against was characters. Like no Disney or whatever, on any article of clothing. My kids always wore plain underwear and pajamas and had regular sheets. And we didn't decorate in the latest prince/princess. I think the worst I ever did was get a pair of tennis shoes for DD that were color changing when you touched them. Stupid (and expensive) purchase. I know that they both sport t-shirts now with different logos and whatnot, but that's their decision.

paperclippy
02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Bargoo, that is a crazy story about the tree! Did they get the $100 out?

Shannon, thanks for the article! Funny how pink used to be for boys and blue for girls. I have no problem if my kids want to like pink and princesses and whatever, I just don't want them to think they HAVE to.

bargoo
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Bargoo, that is a crazy story about the tree! Did they get the $100 out?

The bill was completely in shreds, no telling how long it had been there, but SF took jar and all to the bank and the manager, with a tweezer reassembled it, as long as he could find the serial number it would be good, he did find it and gave SF $100.00

Mudpie
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I came back to the dog sit to find the furnace conked out. Tried to reset it and stuff but nothing. Am waiting for the tech now - between 6 - 10 p.m. I have a firelog but no matches and no way to be sure the damper is open. It's 58 degrees in here. I have the oven on but can't figure out how to set the temp. there's some sort of electric rad but pushing the various buttons produces no heat.

And the dog, whose food I put out before making mine, stole part of my dinner off the counter when I was answering the phone.

If I had some beer I think I'd be drinking it about now. Is it Friday yet?

Dagmar :( :tired:

saef
02-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Dagmar, this is the rule of the universe at work that comes into play in my own life: Whenever I somehow obtain a little extra money, some unexpected expense looms up and requires all that money & usually a little more, too. Thus the rule of financial homeostasis prevails. I'm getting my corporate bonus next week & feel I am hunched in a bunker, vigilantly watching for The Unknown Thing that's going to hit me shortly. A car repair, maybe. Or some issue with a major appliance. Something medical. Owing on my taxes. Who knows?

Shannon, thanks for that article, which fascinated me. Before the flood, I collected 19th century photographs called cartes-de-visites, mostly from around the Civil War period. (They are the size of a visiting card/contemporary business card, which is how they got their name.) With the babies and children, you can't tell the gender till the boys are old enough to be "breeched." The boys appear to be wearing tiny hoop skirts, their dresses are so full and flared. It's also interesting that little boys' suits look rather militaristic, like they are all drummer boys, particularly when you know that this was wartime. (Oh dear, remembering specific images that I once owned is making me sad ... Gone, gone, all of them.)

My presentation yesterday morning went about as bad as it could. I called in through the old system, rather than the new system, couldn't share my screen to show slides, had to just talk attendees through the slide deck. Then my connection dropped and I spoke for several minutes into space, talking only to myself without realizing it. Then when I got back in my boss had taken over showing the slides & I had to direct her. Someone made a really critical comment about the concept guiding whole project that I was presenting on, for which I had no answer, since I was just presenting what someone higher up had come up with & decided to implement. Not a good morning.

But hey, I went to the gym this morning, got showered and dressed, had an unusually fast commute (schoolkids must be on vacation this week around here, along with their parents who'd otherwise be driving to work alongside me) and I'm here again. Ready to face the next thing the workplace throws at me.

Shannon in ATL
02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Saef - I'm sorry that your presentation went off the rails, that had to be frustrating. I hope that today is better.

Dagmar - Did the furnace get fixed?

I fell face first into hormone related food last night. Bah. Oddly, right after I started reading Brain Over Binge.

traveling michele
02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Yuck Saef and Dagmar. Hope that today picks up for you....

Sheila53
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Dagmar, did the tech finally come and fix the problem? Yikes--what a day! Bad dog, bad dog.

Saef, hopefully your day will be better, too.

When my son was a baby, someone had given me some hand-me-downs including pink onesies and a cool leopard print one. I didn't have an issue with putting him in pink, but his father wasn't thrilled. What I'll never forget is getting my DS back from a weekend with his father and seeing DS's beautiful blonde curls cut off. While I don't begrudge the ex seeing his son's first haircut, I would have liked some discussion on when that would be.

Took dogs to the prison yesterday. I'm trying to desensitive myself to claustrophobic situations. So far I've been twice, and it's been okay. This time the inmates (called "offenders" by the prison staff) actually got to take the leash directly from us instead of using the deputy warden as an intermediary. At the two other prisons, the volunteers interact with the inmates, telling them about the dogs, but this one, which is minimum security, won't let us. Kind of weird and annoying.

Hope everyone has a great day!

traveling michele
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I was going to put stuff in the crockpot this morning but then I had an epiphany! Rather than spend all the time in the morning prepping, I put it in last night and it cooked while I slept. The good-- it was done when I woke up. The bad-- it smelled good when I was trying to sleep and it was making me hungry. I thought I would have food dreams but I don't remember any. So now I have chicken tortilla soup for lunch and dinner today and tons of leftovers too!

After work today I'm going to meet a teacher friend at the mall and we are going to try to find dresses for our dinner/auction for our school tomorrow. I have a "little black dress (LBD)" but everyone keeps saying how fancy they are dressing so I am paranoid that it isn't dressy enough. So.... we will see if I find anything. I haven't shopped with a girl friend at the mall in years-- don't think it will be the same as when I was a teenager! Then I'm going to try to rush to late yoga as I don't want to skip exercising because tomorrow it may not happen. I never know if it is better to skip when I'm super crazy busy or try to squeeze it in-- tomorrow I'll work till 3, go home to take care of the dogs and then the auction starts at 6:30 (about a 20 minute drive away). So, if I want to workout it's going to have to be fast to have time to shower and get ready-- so probably not worth the stress!!

Megan1982
02-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Massaged kale recipe:

Massaged greens are pretty much what they sound like. I clean, devein, and cut kale into bite-sized pieces. Dinosaur or lacinto kale is my favorite raw and is a bit more tender, I think. I take about 8 cups of cleaned greens. Drizzle on about 1 Tbsp EVOO, ~1 T lemon juice, and 1/4-1/2 tsp salt. With clean hands, get in there and massage it all together for a few minutes, coating the leaves evenly with the EVOO and salt. Then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The oil and salt will help break down the greens and tenderize them. Part of me wants to skimp on salt, but it does have a chemical purpose here. This tastes very earthy and is not for everyone. I also like to add some toppings when I've got them handy. I like apple pieces and sunflower seeds, or raisins, dried cranberries, or other seeds and nuts. The sweet and crunch balances out the earthy flavor of the kale.

I've only ever seen recipes for massaged kale. I think more tender greens wouldn't work well and might start to break down too much (when BF did the arugula you could start to see folds in the green like when spinach is starting to turn, but he ate it all immediately so NBD). Kale works because it's really sturdy. Perhaps collard greens would work, whereas spinach and tender lettuces would fall apart too much.

saef
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Megan, you inspired me to make massaged kale the other day, rather than cooking it as traditional greens. Only I wanted a sort of Asian flavor, so I used lite soy sauce and a dab of sesame oil, a bit of crushed garlic from a jar and a sprinkle of Splenda. I also sprinkled the leaves with sesame seeds when I was done. If I'd had water chestnuts, probably I would have topped it with that, too.

Mudpie
02-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Megan, you inspired me to make massaged kale the other day, rather than cooking it as traditional greens. Only I wanted a sort of Asian flavor, so I used lite soy sauce and a dab of sesame oil, a bit of crushed garlic from a jar and a sprinkle of Splenda. I also sprinkled the leaves with sesame seeds when I was done. If I'd had water chestnuts, probably I would have topped it with that, too.

I might try that using your spices and bok choy. DH is away this weekend so I can experiment with the "rabbit" foods a bit. That or go to a nice restaurant. :D

We have heat today. I'm so glad I waited up for the service guy last night - it dropped to minus 12 last night and the wind was howling. I'm pretty sure this house (which been renovated about 20 years ago) doesn't have any insulation.

I'm not going to say it's cold in here since now it's 70 degree cold but :brr:

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Mudpie
02-22-2013, 06:00 AM
I am a lot guiltier than I thought about selling off the family home and getting rid of most of my parents' stuff. There's over half a century of memories and events that have impacted my life in that house.

Usually I suppress most of my emotions and either eat (or in the past drink) to diffuse them. I have been eating badly since the official "sale" and sleeping poorly etc. etc. I kinda knew it was guilt but I don't feel a specific emotion. Rather I am quite numb inside. That usually signals anxiety for me.

I had a vivid anxiety dream about all of this this morning. Makes sense since I've spent the week dogsitting right across from the house I just sold. The last, intensely vivid part of the dream involved me grabbing two puppies that had just been hit by a car into my arms while screaming and weeping hysterically. I woke up with a jolt and could "feel" the puppies in my arms.

YUCK!

I really am grateful to DH (and have told him and shown him) for doing the final "dismantle" of the house. I have reached my limit and just want it to be over.

That said I think I will go over there on Saturday evening and "talk" to my mother. She was hit by a van and killed instantly in 1992, at the top of the street where the house is located. I have this chance now to say goodbye and lay all things to rest between us (many of which happened in that house). There will be a modest amount of beer involved as I was my mom's chief "drinking buddy" and in the later years that was mostly what we did together in that house.

It's odd but my mom would have approved of everything that I'm doing. She was the parent that I got along with and she did plan to leave all her stuff, including the house, to me. She always worked and I suspect that the house is much more than half hers. She paid for more than half the mortgage and the bills and prevented my dad from losing the house (he wanted to remortgage to finance weird schemes he had) 3 times. I stopped him the 4th time.

I think it's the kinda tired, emo, strung out state I'm in but lately events seem to have a weird kind of coherence.

Maybe William Shatner should have me on his TV show? :p

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
02-22-2013, 07:44 AM
She was hit by a van and killed instantly in 1992, at the top of the street where the house is located.

:hug:

paperclippy
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Dagmar, :hug: I hope saying goodbye to your mother will give you some closure.

Megan, thanks for the info about the "massaged" kale! I will pass it along to DH who has been really into kale lately.

Speaking of DH, he had some anxiety nightmares and a mini breakdown the other night. I think what happened is that he's been doing such a great job of being optimistic and making me feel better when I'm worrying so much, that he's not really letting out his own worries and they kind of bottled up and boiled over. It seems to be related to feeling like his own father wasn't there for him when he was a kid, which is only coming up now that we're having kids of our own. His dad is a doctor and used to work really excessive hours when DH was little. We talked it through and I think everything is okay now.

It's kind of funny how we somehow manage to not both be a wreck at the same time. It reminds me of when Carter had his back injury a couple years ago, and we basically took turns crying and reassuring each other all day for a few weeks, but somehow managed to not both be crying at the same time. Except now it's more like, I'm constantly worrying about something going wrong with the pregnancy and he's constantly reassuring me, until we go for an ultrasound, when as soon as I see them moving around I feel way better but DH gets super-nervous that the tech is going to find something wrong. :shrug: This pregnancy business is stressful! DH pointed out to me that most people worry less the further along they get, whereas I'm worrying more and more lately. Too many statistics about premature birth for twins, I suppose.

traveling michele
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Dagmar-- that is a lot of emotional baggage to sort through. I think it is good that you are recognizing your feelings and have a way of dealing with them. Hugs to you.

My mom also was the rock of my two parents. She worked hard to keep their house going and prevented my dad from taking multiple mortgages, etc. When she was dying she was so worried that my dad would get the house (they never divorced but had a horrible marriage)-- she signed the house over to me and made me promise to use the money from the sale for my family. When she passed away, we put my dad in assisted living and sold the house. Unfortunately, we had to use the proceeds from the sale to pay for my dad's assisted living. We really had no choice and it makes me very sad to think about it. We do have many wonderful things from the house (furniture, etc.), and she left me her fun car-- a cute little BMW (but we had to also sell that because we had young kids-- but we bought a more sensible car with the $$)-- and she left both myself and my girls jewelry. So, she lives on. My wedding ring is my grandmother's, so it is an antique. She left wedding rings to both of my girls so if and when they get married, they will also have their grandmother's rings.

ICUwishing
02-22-2013, 10:10 AM
dagmar, :hug: Sounds like your self-analysis is right on, and there is a lot of "emo" stuff tied up here. Having a beer in that space might be a great ritual of closure.

I've been scarce lately; many unusual tasks cropped up: DS caught my cold and was home from school Tues and Wed; he pulled it together Wed pm and went for his audition in spite of it. He scrapped the accompanied version of "I Dreamed a Dream" that he was going to do and instead went "risky" with an a capella "Lean on Me". Callback list will be posted next Wed; he thought he was about an "8 out of 10". I'm guessing he'll be on it. If I were the director, I'd want to see how the kid does when he's healthy. Monday we find out if he's in the Honors classes for literature and history - should be a slam-dunk. The class requests are in and the only variable left is which arts elective he'll have - swing choir, varsity choir, or theater. Phew! I had to laugh at the upcoming schedule; he takes the ACT for the 2nd time this April, and as soon as he gets out, he has to go straight to a performance with the Boychoir. Ow!

Plus, we're coming to the end of the re-siding project, prepping taxes, updating passports, arranging tickets for our trip this summer. Also, in 3 weeks I'm being moved at work to a new position. :eek:

Thank goodness for soft bunnies. Petting a bunny makes the whole world go away. :)

Shannon in ATL
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Oh Dagmar, reading your story about your mother made me sad. I hope you get some closure, sweetie. :hug:

Becky - I would love to have a visit with your bunnies today, I could use some time with the world in the background.

Jessica - I'm glad that you were able to help DH, and you take care of yourself. I know lots of people with twins, all happy and healthy. :hug:

I'm tired. And trying to have a better day. I have to pull back out of the mess I've let myself fall into. And, buying $2 cheap Kindle books isn't helping. LOL

Sheila53
02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Dagmar, it's weird how emotions flare up unexpectedly. Great idea about getting closure by visiting the house. Kudos to DH for coming to your rescue. Take care of yourself.

Jessica, the worry continues even when the kids are in their 40s, as I can attest, although maybe it's not as strong. A woman who was having a home birth around the time I did had twins who were 9 lbs. and 7+ lbs. May you follow in her footsteps, although perhaps your twins could be just a touch smaller. Her belly always preceded her into a room. Do you meditate? I've heard that is good for relieving those nagging anxieties although I've never tried it.

Michele, that's a lovely legacy for your girls.

Shannon, buying $2 Kindle books is probably preferably to buying bottles of wine. It's all in your perspective. When I was losing weight, I started shopping, and I hate shopping, as a replacement for eating. How is DSS, btw?

We're having our second meeting with a contractor about our townhome remodel (it's a rental we own that we're moving into), then we choose a contractor. Remodeling a kitchen and master bathroom is a big chunk of change so we want to live with it for a long time and get it right.

Almost forgot--I saw some yellow crocus yesterday! They'll be covered by the snow we're expecting, but I'll know they're there. Spring really is coming--yippee!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

alinnell
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Speaking of parents, my Mom was the glue in our family. Dad was pretty much hands-off while growing up. Well, so was Mom to an extent. They never hovered like parents do these days and they didn't really push us kids, either. For that reason, I was never into extracurricular activities and really didn't "experience" high school. I hated it, in fact. College, with sorority life, is where I thrived.

I got an email from my sister yesterday. She and BIL are at my Dad's helping to sort him out after the remodel from the flood. She said she has spent TWO WHOLE DAYS cleaning his kitchen! It was that bad. I know I'd heard some horror stories from my SIL who does her best to keep my Dad stocked with healthy food and keep his meds up to date. But I also hear the stories from my Dad how my SIL will throw away "perfectly good food" which my SIL says was old, moldy and gross (to which Dad says he can't tell any difference). Dad has confessed he takes the "bad" food out of the garbage after she leaves. He refuses to put anything "away" so all his cooking items are all over the kitchen counters (where he can find them). What use is it to have cupboards, then? My sister says he is borderline hording as she found stacks of coupons dating back to 2011 (not yet cut out of newspapers) that she finally got him to admit were expired and should be thrown out.

Shannon in ATL
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
I just read this blog post and it made me snicker. It is a funny follow up to the addictive food article of yesterday. :)
The Terrible Tragedy of the Healthy Eater (http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy-healthy-eater.html)

bargoo
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM
I just read this blog post and it made me snicker. It is a funny follow up to the addictive food article of yesterday. :)
The Terrible Tragedy of the Healthy Eater (http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy-healthy-eater.html)

ROFL !

Megan1982
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

It's been a busy week for me and will be a busy weekend, too. I took a Wilderness First Aid course over the last two days and the instructors were just phenomenal. I feel much more prepared to deal with injury at our remote field sites, and even in our remote county. Today I'm at my office in the city for a monthly visit. As usual no one cares I'm here, so the most exciting part of my day will be a stop at Publix on my way home. This weekend I have a pressure cooking "Preservation Party" at a friend's which could be neat, one more science talk at the art gallery I was active with two weekends/weeks ago, and back to the city for a play with my friends on Sunday. I just hope to be able to keep fitting some exercise and healthy foods around this since I won't get much of a chance to "catch up" over the weekend. I've been doing decently over the last week of busy-ness.

Mmm, Saef, that sounds like a yummy combo. That is the beauty of the massaged kale salad, you can play around with flavors and toppings as long as you have your basics - greens, oil, acid, and salt. I was hoping to buy some salmon on my way home tonight and planned on using a teriyaki marinade, and massaging up some kale from the garden. A little sesame oil would be a nice accompaniment to the teriyaki theme. Thanks for the idea!

Dagmar, your drinking buddy story made me think of reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and visiting Savannah with my book club. I'm trying to remember the story. Someone in the book visits Johnny Mercer's grave (famous singer from Savannah/buried there) and "has a drink" with him, or pours a sip on the grave site. When we visited we also poured a little drink the site. Maybe your Mom would appreciate a sip, figuratively speaking. :hug:

Jessica, glad you were able to help DH calm down. I've noticed those who worry the most are probably the ones who need to worry the least about a lot of things in life. Because you care so much to worry now, you will care so much and be great parents later! (Not very well put - does that make sense?)

Sheila, ooh, I'm jealous. I hope you'll enjoy the new kitchen once it gets here. One day I will own a house with a bigger kitchen, more open/entertaining space, maybe even a double oven! Sigh, I'd settle for a dishwasher right now.

Becky, please let me know the results of DS's auditions. I'm remembering my own HS choral days through your reports of DS. :D

Have a great weekend everyone.

alinnell
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Oh, thank you for that! Forwarded it DD who also got a laugh out of it.

Makes you wonder, though, how far some will go to get the good food. Often I ponder the possibility of owning a ranch and growing everything I eat, but I think I'd need to get rich first, so I doubt I'll see it to fruition.

krampus
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Dagmar, <3 <3 <3

ICUwishing
02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Well, despite a completely plugged head, DS passed the singing audition and got the callback! So, next Wednesday, he will practice a new song/dance routine with the current Ambassadors and the other potential candidates, and (hopefully) prove that he can sing AND dance without falling over his feet. :D In the past several years, they have posted the result on YouTube, so I'll provide the link if they do it again this year.

traveling michele
02-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Congrats to your son Becky! That is awesome!

Mudpie
02-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Congrats to your son Becky! That is awesome!

Sounds like your DS is pretty awesomely talented in a bunch of areas Becky. Always great to hear of kids who are achieving their dreams and goals and having fun while doing it!

Dagmar :D

bargoo
02-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Well, despite a completely plugged head, DS passed the singing audition and got the callback! So, next Wednesday, he will practice a new song/dance routine with the current Ambassadors and the other potential candidates, and (hopefully) prove that he can sing AND dance without falling over his feet. :D In the past several years, they have posted the result on YouTube, so I'll provide the link if they do it again this year.

Looking forward to seeing the results on YouTube.

Steph7409
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Dagmar, I hope your last evening at the house goes well and gives you the resolution you're hoping for.

ICU, congrats to your son!

Shannon, that was a great link. I especially liked "Your seasoning is mostly self-satisfaction."

Megan, you've really had a lot going on lately! I hope your science talk at the gallery went as well as the other one, which sounded really interesting.

saef, this may be from another thread but my condolences on the further delay with the condo issue. Dreading rain is not a good way to live (says someone with an apparently unfixable leaky roof).

Sheila, good luck with choosing a contractor. It's a scary thing but it's great when the work is done. I love my new bathroom and wish I could do some work on the kitchen, too. I just need to accumulate some money.

I've had a nice day. I went to a craft store this morning and got supplies for some new projects. I'm friendly with a woman who has her own little store that sells decorative stuff, really neat things she finds at auctions or from craftspeople (and she makes a lot herself), and I showed her some little beaded purses I make. She thinks I can sell them and wants to help me embellish them a bit. She really has an artist's eye so I'm looking forward to working with her.

This afternoon a friend and I went to the NYS Museum to see an exhibit of floral displays. The displays were scattered throughout the museum and many related to the nearby exhibit (Adirondacks, native Americans, etc). Some were astonishingly creative and beautiful. It made me long for spring, when I can start going to the flower market and filling my containers with annuals.

So, a nice end to a weird week that I spent expecting my old cat to die. But she has recovered, much to my surprise, and is back to annoying me. Phew!

Mudpie
02-23-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm back from the house. Did a walk through and relived a lot of the good memories that I created with my mom. Sat in the living room (two pieces of furniture remain) and had a really good blonde beer while updating her on the situation with the house and my dad. I think I would have felt kinda foolish without the beer but we DID do a lot of drinking in that house so it was appropriate.

DH's guy is coming on Monday to pack up the stuff he wants for his store. I kept my hands off. I keep seeing things that have been around for a long time and that I want to save. But I limited myself to 4 containers. It's my mom's stuff but it's just stuff.

I feel at peace with all of this now, for the first time in 6 months. And I'm starting to get excited at the idea of having my OWN house.

Good evening all! The dog and I are going to read Vogue now. :lol:

Dagmar :yoga:

Sheila53
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
ICU, that's wonderful! Looking forward to the video, too.

Dagmar, glad you were able to get some closure about the house. Can't wait to hear about your upcoming househunting.

I tried massaged kale last night. Yum! Even DH enjoyed it. I used Megan's recipe, but added a drop of sesame oil ala saef, then toasted some slivered almonds to add some crunch.