Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc - Optifast. Oh, it works.

View Full Version : Optifast. Oh, it works.

Darwin503
02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I stumbled across it looking for after-weight loss surgeon recommendations. But, now that I have found this wonderful site, I plan to stick around for all the good advice and support.

With that being said, I decided to seek out others who lost their weight as I did using Optifast. To my chagrin, it seems that not many on these boards have tried it, and there seems to be some very negative talk about from those who only "know someone" who did.

Optifast is like any other weight loss solution, it works under the right circumstances. If you take Optifast, and eat pizza at the same time you are going to fail. It isn't magic, its hard damn work.

I started on Optifast weighing 356lbs in October of 2010. I did it at the San Diego Positive Choice clinic, which is currently the only provider of Optifast 70. Why Optifast 70 is exclusive to San Diego seems to be some contract they have with Nestle, as Nestle would prefer to not produce 70 at all.

When I started in 2010, it was my second time on Optifast. The first time I flamed out in 2 weeks because I didn't really want to be on the program. Kaiser would not authorize bariatric surgery without being on Optifast for 6 months, so I got discouraged and put on 50 more lbs before finally coming back around to Optifast.

When people ask me how I did it, I tell them about Optifast and I tell them how HARD it was. I didn't eat anything for 8 months. I never took a single bite, or sip that I wasn't supposed to. I also worked out a regularly. I really credit support group, and my counselor for providing the tools I needed to succeed. By may 2011, I was down to 168 for a total loss of 188lbs.

It has obviously been almost 2 years since I lost my weight, and I still hover in the 170's.

If you are thinking about Optifast, know that it works if you are ready to put in the work. Even if you have to use Optifast 800, there were plenty of people in my group who were on that as opposed to 70 and still lost a ton of weight. In fact, of the 18 people that started with me, 8 of us made it to our goal weights. Some sooner, me later :) When you are dealing with people 100lbs+ overwieght, a nearly 50% success rate is astounding.

I still struggle in my relationship with food, but taking a long break from eating allowed me to develop a new understanding of my demon. I don't think there is any other method that can so drastically alter your perspective on food, than not eating for months.

I will try to dig up some before pictures if I can find any. I really didn't like having my picture taken back then.

Also, if anyone has any questions about Optifast, please feel free to ask.

Underwater
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
I am on HMR, which I think is similar to Opti. What is the difference between 800 and 70 on Opti? On HMR, 800 means 800 calories per day. I am currently on HMR 800. It's hard to believe that 70 could be 70 calories per day...

I'm glad to hear of your success. I found my way to HMR (started just 4 days ago) after a demotivating weight loss plateau. I lost 65 lbs with diet and exercise but from October to January gained 7 lbs back. I knew if I didn't take serious action, I'd gain it all back plus more.

I am hoping to lose another 35-50 lbs with HMR and then remain in their maintenance program for as long as I need to. One member has been in maintenance for 12 years. For most it's about 18 months I hear.

Darwin503
02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Optifast 70 is 80 calories per packet for a total of 400 calories per day, while the 800 is 160 calories per packet for 800 calories per day.

I have used 800 on my own to help with maintenance, and I can say that weight loss on 800 is pretty similar to that of 70. The major difference is taste. The 70 tastes awful (especially now that orange is discontinued), while the 800 is palatable.

I hadn't heard of hmr, and looking at their website I don't see a liquid only option. Are you on liquids only, or is there food involved?

Good luck with your journey!

Underwater
02-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Optifast 70 is 80 calories per packet for a total of 400 calories per day, while the 800 is 160 calories per packet for 800 calories per day.

I have used 800 on my own to help with maintenance, and I can say that weight loss on 800 is pretty similar to that of 70. The major difference is taste. The 70 tastes awful (especially now that orange is discontinued), while the 800 is palatable.

I hadn't heard of hmr, and looking at their website I don't see a liquid only option. Are you on liquids only, or is there food involved?

Good luck with your journey!

I am on what they called "decision free" which can be made up of shakes, pudding, oatmeal, chicken soup, and their pre-portioned entrees. You can choose whether or not to include entrees in your plan, but you must either eat 2 entrees every day or no entrees. I'm not eating entrees because I prefer the taste of the shakes and oatmeal to the entrees. I don't care for the soup, either. I usually have 3 or 4 shakes a day and 1 or 2 oatmeals. I'm just finishing up the first week though, so that may change if I get tired of what I've been doing :)

JollyGreenSteen19
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Congratulations on your success. You are an inspiration! I'm very curious about these sorts of diets but I have sooo many questions and insecurities. I've heard of optifast but know almost nothing about it than that it is a shake diet. Can you provide information on protein, carbs, nutrients, etc per shake? I attempted to do medifast once, I still have 11 days of it in my closet and I keep daring myself to give another try. It did not go well (I was a college sophomore at the time), I had never been that hungry before. LOL. Is it really safe to consume only 400 or 800 calories a day?

How did you handle going out? I feel like if I was a complete hermit I could do these kinds of diets - my slip ups are always pressure by friends, co-workers, my husband, family, etc. I feel embarrassed to say I'm on a shake diet (especially if a week later I fizz out and quit) and I would feel awkward turning down all food at family gatherings or out at a restaurant after work with co-workers. I mean when everyone is having a 99 cent margarita I feel left out, and not going at all makes me feel even worse. Ha. I know the point of that diet is that it's HARD, yes, but that would be one of my biggest hurdles. I care too much about what other people think. When I've had shakes for lunch at work I just want to eat my lunch in my car, I have such nosy co-workers and I'm a private person.

I'm also worried about how this will impact my exercise routine. I have plans to train for a 5k and beyond. I've tried to exercise with the tank on empty before and it results in frustration and exhaustion.

Since you do optifast under medical supervision, do you have any insurance coverage? Oh yes and I'm also curious if you don't mind sharing a ballpark of what one could expect to pay between the meals, meeting with dieticians, etc.

Any input is encouraged. I'm really wanting to drop the first half of what I have to lose as quick as I can without jeopardizing my health.

Underwater
03-04-2013, 01:42 AM
I've been waiting for the OP to answer, but I guess she isn't checking the thread often.

Here is the nutrition information for the shake program I'm on:
http://www.hmrprogram.com/index.cfm/HMRFoods/HMRShakes/HMR_800_Shake

It is safe to consume 800 calories per day on my plan because you are closely monitored. We meet with a nurse every week and monthly you get your bloodwork done and meet with a doctor. I have been doing the strict 800-calorie plan for 3 weeks now and I feel fine. I don't feel hungry, but some people do, so they have extra food. You can eat as much of the food that is "on plan" as you want with HMR.

When I go out, I usually make sure I'm not hungry and then I sit and have a diet soda. This diet requires a lot of willpower when you go out, but the results are worth it. I lost 3 lbs the 1st week and 4 lbs the second week. This was not water weight because I was dieting doing HMR food 2 meals a day before I started. The bigger you start, the more you lose each week, too, and since I started at 205, my weight loss isn't as much as someone who starts at 300+. The average weight lost on my program is 60 lbs, but many people lose over a hundred. I've been told by some people that this was the alternative to weigh loss surgery given to them by their doctor.

As far as exercise, I do something at least 4 time a week and usually 5 times a week. I walk/hike, play roller hockey, or do classes at the gym like Zumba, Step, UJam, ect. I'm also training to do a 5K actually. I hiked 4 miles in 1:09 with hills this morning!

I know the nurse & doctor visit are covered by some health insurance. I have an HSA so I use the account for that and it's around $200-$250 a month. The only thing I pay out of pocket for is the food, which is about $100 a week. But that is the only food you are eating, so it's actually cheaper than what I used to spend eating in a normal week!

If you have other questions, just let me know :)

EnergizedBunny
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi. I started the Optifast 800 (3 servings a day plus one regular dinner) on January 26, 2013, and I am very happy with my results. I need to step up my exercise level now. I have had to go buy smaller underwear 3 times already, and have bought ahead for the next 2 sizes I will be going down this spring. I LOVE this program!

LadyT96
03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi. I started my own version of the Optifast 800(5-6 shakes a day) yesterday. I am seeing a doctor weekly for bloodwork/weigh ins and will try this for 12 weeks. I started yesterday but I weigh in once a week on Tuesday and had lost 6 pounds. I am walking 5 days a week for 1 hour about 3 miles at a fast pace. I'm also drinking water-TONS of it.

Jez
03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
If I could avoid eating I wouldn't be fat.

coolhand
04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Just starting Optifast today. Need to loss 100 pounds... Glad to have found this forum.

Underwater
05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Well it's like 14 weeks since I started HMR at the beginning of this thread and I have lost 33 lbs. I am 4 lbs from my goal! It's been going great!

Cbsimpson
06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Is anybody still posting here? I just started today. Struggling with 'am I really hungry' or 'is it all in my head?' I'm supposed to have 5 items a day and tons of water. I have had 2 celery stalks bc my stomach won't stop growling! Is this cheating? How does everybody else deal?

Underwater
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Is anybody still posting here? I just started today. Struggling with 'am I really hungry' or 'is it all in my head?' I'm supposed to have 5 items a day and tons of water. I have had 2 celery stalks bc my stomach won't stop growling! Is this cheating? How does everybody else deal?

Your body will get used to less food. It's the worst for the first few weeks. I have been doing HMR for about 17 weeks now and have lost 40 lbs!

2aHealthierMe
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I am beginning July 22nd and could really use some support.

2aHealthierMe
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi Underwater! What is HMR?

kaplods
07-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Underwater! What is HMR?

Hope you don't mind me answering. HMR = Health Management Resources, is the leading company providing weight management programs, products and services to medical schools and hospitals. More medical centerd use HMR products than any other brand. Products include shakes, bars, soups, and entrees (and the program requires a minimum of 5 servings fruits and veggies).

Dr. James Anderson with Dietician Nancy Gustafson wrote the book, The Simple Diet, modeled after HMR. While Dr. Anderson never mentions HMR in the book, he cites his and other research studies using The Simple Diet and if you go to the journal articles for the in-patient studies, you find that HMR products were used.

In the book, Dr. Anderson tells us in the book, that the program using shakes alone was not as effective. People found it harder to stick to. They found that adding the entrees and veggies/fruit and saw better compliance and weight loss outcomes. They did not limit fruits and vegetables, because the research found that patients who ate the most veggies and fruit lost the most weight. He does teach guidelines for choosing the best choices for weight loss.

The Simple diet uses grocery store shakes, soups, bars, and frozen dinners to match the HMR products. The basic plan is 3 shakes, 2 entrees, and 5 servings of veggies or fruits. If you're still hungry, you're encouraged to eat more veggied and fruit and if you're desperate a shake, bar, soup or entree is considered a better "cheat" than going off plan. Bars are to be considered emergency rations because they're not as filling as other options.

We have a couple Simple Diet threads that list the guidelines for each food category. The book explains the guidelines as well, gives shake recipes, and lists of store products that meet the guidelines (I just take a little card with the guidelines written on it to the grocery store).

I have been on liquid diets in the past, and I find it very difficult to stomach for more than a week or two. I literally would start to gag at the sight and smell of another shake or pudding.

The entrees make all the diffetence for me.

Underwater
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Kaplods.

In order to drop the weight fast and keep myself motivated, I did the HMR plan called Decision Free. This plan does not include fruits and veggies and allows you to go as low at 800 cal/day safely because of the medical supervision.

I lost 50 lbs in 22 weeks. I started at about 205, so I was one of the lightest people in my class. The heavier people lost a lot more weight. The men also lost more weight than the women.

It's challenging, but the results are very motivating. If you stay on plan, you'll lose at least 2 lbs a week. It's not unheard of for the heavier people to lost 5-6 lbs in a week. And that's not just the first week- that is well into the program!

I've reached my goal and am now in their maintenance class. Without HMR, I don't think I would have been able to do it.

kaplods
07-18-2013, 09:10 PM
If you can physically and mentally endure an 800 calorie diet in the long term, and can then transition successfully to maintenance, that's awesome.

Even in high school I couldn't do so without risking incredibly nasty symptoms. Severe IBS intestinal pain, diarrhea, dizziness, vertigo, blinding headaches, light headed weakness to the point that I would pass out (in college I passed out in a church confessional, talk about mortifying).

Interestingly on the Simple Diet, if you make your choices from the low end of the calorie guidelines for your 3 shakes, 2 entries, and 5 freggies, you will be eating only 705 calories per day.

I've been aiming for the middle range which averages about 1100 calories daily, and I've lost 19 lbs in a little over 3 weeks.

JuniperKelp
07-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Four days in. Saigon. (Cue Apocalypse Now music).

It's fine. I can't believe I actually miss the oatmeal and chili of medifast days but at least these bars are huge.

We shall see. I have no desire to weigh myself. I just got off a 12 day cruise on Sunday and had the Optifast waiting. Gained 12 on the cruise: nice!

I'm on the 800, five shakes/bars a day plus green veggies.

I have to say I've only been hungry once but it blows to not be able to eat all night- but this is why I'm here. :devil:

JuniperKelp
08-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to check in- its been three and a half weeks and I've lost 17. No problems- some days I'm a little hungry but I will drink some bullion or tea and move on. It's been great!

maryizme
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi, I am new here and am on day 2 of the optifast program. Just looking for some support in this long journey.
My name is Mary and I am 47 years young from NY.

Would love to hear from anyone regarding their experience on this program!

Thanks
Mary

karimack
10-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I hope this thread is still being watched. I started Optifast 2 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 7 lbs but when I did my weigh in after the second week, I didn't lose anything. Nada! 3-5 shakes a day and I added moderate exercise. I did take one day off for my kids birthday but even that only involved one meal and it was a very small one - certainly nothing that would have made me regain anything I had lost for the week. I swear I thought my clothes were fitting roomier so I was stunned to find no loss. I cheated and weighed myself this morning and still no loss! Has anyone else experienced this?

njdx1205
12-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I started otifast 800 today. My starting weight is 170, BMI 32.

saraphin
12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
hi everyone!. i'm so happy to have found this thread/forum/whatever it's called. i'm new here. :hug:

i'm on optifast VLCD. i've been on it for 12 weeks and i've lost 14.5 kilo's. ;););)

i am on medication - lots of different things - and that holds me back a bit i think. because of the low calories you have low energy. in fact i've also heard this optifast called a VLED.

i have low energy anyway for a number of other reasons (it sucks) and i HATE exercise. i was doing weights (only 15 minutes) but i stopped 2 weeks ago for some reason i found. oh yeah my son came over from melbourne. so i stopped my strength training. duh :p:p:p

ok so i'll start it again TOMORROW yes i will. there, it's in writing and you've all seen it. that makes it a COMMITMENT. :o:o:o

now, my dreadmill. well i DO have a sore footÖ.i thought i would stay off my dreadmill for a couple of weeks, so it heals, but it feels ok today, so i really should start that again tomorrow too. oh god. help me. big deal (not) it's only a few minutes for crying out loud! :(:(:( (self-talk) and i spend HOURS sitting here, wasting time LOL.

nice to chat. optifast. what can i tell you? it gets easier, as you go along. it is a ketosis diet so it SUPPRESSES HUNGER. but, you MUST STICK 100%. i am committed, rock solid like. :):):)

so, don't even THINK about it, unless you can pull up your big girl panties and grit your teeth . it's hard, but it WORKS so the rewards are to-die-for :):):)

from saraphin:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

njdx1205
12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi saraphin

Welcome,
I think it's just me and u here, I'm on day 2. I am not as hungry today and I even did a gentle 60 minute workout on the elliptical. I hope to get in at least 30 minute workout everyday. I am tired from very low calories, but it's not that bad

saraphin
12-08-2013, 04:53 PM
howdy. only you are awake maybe. where are you again? i'm in south australia and it's early monday morning. i've just switched on my phone to set the alarm for my dreadmill exercise, otherwise i lose all track of time whilst i'm sitting here at my mac.
:):):)

ok done. i have exactly 1 hour from now. that will be 9:21 am :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

4 men out the back, concreting and talking abouit it. raining. me and the three dogs inside. muggy because it's summer here. ;););)

coffee number 3. gosh i'll be ruinning today. haha (in my mind) :carrot::carrot::carrot:

bfn

saraphin
12-08-2013, 04:56 PM
oh i forgot what we're here for lol um…

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-chicks/chick01/kg/100/58/85.4/.png

(njdx if you are feeling hungry, EAT something. cottage cheeses on sao. warm drink. crackers and low-fat chees is always good for me…)

SoAndSo
12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Hey, I'm SoAndSo. New to this forum. Not new to Optifast. Lost 50 lbs in the summer of 2012, and, much to my chagrin, due to several stressful events, including deaths of 2 very close family members, put it all back on again. Today is day 2 for me. I have a few tips on what helped me get through 12 weeks last time. I'll share them with you if you help me stay on track. Deal?

saraphin
12-11-2013, 06:41 PM
njdx i love your avatar
:):):)
hi soandso DEAL! i'm in my 14th week of optifast and i just moved to transition. i've done well, esp considering i have numerous health issues. :(:(:(

hi everyone :hug::hug::hug:

i had a whoosh :carrot::carrot::carrot:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wiawfgH/weight.png

i'm having fun here today. i think i need more coffee thoughÖwill someone get it for me? hello? mmmmm nobody here. typical. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

bfn

SoAndSo
12-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey Saraphin! Yay for you being 14 weeks in! I just completed day 2, and so far so good. My big challenges are cooking for the fam and not eating it. My witching hours are between 2 & 4 PM. Once I clear that time, I'm good for the day. With Optifast it really is just one day at a time. And I know it gets easier after the first week, especially once you see results. What is most helpful to me is drinking lots of good Oolong tea, chewing gum, and teaching myself to knit socks. Keeps my mind off of food and I just don't feel as hungry.

saraphin
12-12-2013, 05:12 AM
hi soandso :hug::hug::hug:

well i won't be knitting socks i don't thinkÖi have joined 'swap-bot'Öhave you heard of it? my new hobby! so i have enough to do for now. :):):)

also i drink tea, lots of it. you will be fine, although you time will pass more comfortably once you are in ketosis. i haven't been hungry for weeks now.

;););)tonight i'm having my first fruit..rockmelon and strawberries, yummy-yum. dessert. that mnight bump my body out of ketosis but it is supposed to do that so i learn to control myself and not be compulsive about any food. :):):)

good luck, tell me what shakes etc. do you like best? are you doing the VLCD one or a different one? :hug::hug::hug:

bfn
saraphin

kellykins
12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi, everyone! First time ever blogging, so I hope I'm doing it right! I just started Optifast 70 two days ago, on my birthday. Calling it my "rebirth" day. I've always been really good at losing weight really quickly (but not keeping it off of course), and I think I was already in ketosis yesterday. Could tell by the foul breath. Looking forward to watching everyone's progress, and thankful for any support.

saraphin
12-15-2013, 05:05 PM
well done kellykins, sounds like you're in ketosis. are you hungry? not being hungry is a sure sign. i don't klnow about your version of optifast (opti 70) but my version VLCD has 4 phases and you must goir through each. that will help you keep it off this time!
good luck
saraphin

freckfrecks
01-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm on day two of optifast and was hoping to connect with other people using the same program. It is so helpful to read about the experiences of trying optifast. Fingers crossed, let's hope this works!

saraphin
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
hi cbsimpson, underwater, 2healthierme, i'm doing optifast vlcd, i've been doing oit for 4 months and i've lost 18 kilo's now!!!!!!. the first few weeks are the hardest, as underwater says, also ,that's right about your body getting used to less food. the ketosis is the key - you don't FEEL hungry!!!!!

i am hooked on a xmas binge still though, so i expect i'll plateau again soon. i'm a very slow loser, considering it's optifast and others are more rapid, but it'is a loss i care about, so i'm happy. can't exercise much because a) i'm lazy, and b) i have a very painful foot and leg (nerve pain) also, i HATE exercise!!!!!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-chicks/chick01/lb/220/127.6/182.1/.png

jdoggnoland
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

Didn't know if anyone was still posting here or not. But I wanted to share my success story. I started Optifast 800 (or if you call it Optifast 160) last month around the beginning of December. And boy has it been some journey thus far. I am extremely obese. So when I started out, I weighed 598lbs. But on this day I now weigh 554lbs. So all together I have lost 44 pounds. And let me tell you what I feel more energized. And it's been a long time since I've felt this energized.

It was extremely tough around the holidays. But my family and friends have been very supportive. So that motivation and the motivation of achieving my ultimate goal led to forget about the temptations of eatting food and continuing on my journey of weightloss.

love yourself first
01-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Just ordered my 2 week supply...
Can't wait to start!!!
Have 40 to lose.
Jen

christygb
01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

Didn't know if anyone was still posting here or not. But I wanted to share my success story. I started Optifast 800 (or if you call it Optifast 160) last month around the beginning of December. And boy has it been some journey thus far. I am extremely obese. So when I started out, I weighed 598lbs. But on this day I now weigh 554lbs. So all together I have lost 44 pounds. And let me tell you what I feel more energized. And it's been a long time since I've felt this energized.

It was extremely tough around the holidays. But my family and friends have been very supportive. So that motivation and the motivation of achieving my ultimate goal led to forget about the temptations of eatting food and continuing on my journey of weightloss.

Thanks for sharing your success story! It' is very encouraging! I'm only on day 3, but I've lost about 7 pounds according to my scale:carrot:

We can do it! Christy -- optifastadventurer.blogspot.com

saraphin
01-13-2014, 09:38 PM
optifast works for certain . i have obstacles to losing, but just look at my tickers now!

Sharne
01-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Hey Everyone,
First time doing something like this :) I will be starting Optifast on Monday. I have tried it before and… totally failed! This time I am in the right frame of mind but need some tips. I found last time it was the chewing of food that I missed - pathetic I know but any tips would be greatly received! Need to lose 15kg!

blondiescomet32
02-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Good morning everyone! I signed up for Optifast at the end of January. I did it for four days and went in to take my weight/blood pressure. My weight was down 4 pounds in four days and my bp was 171/116......I got really scared. The doc didn't take this, I had it done on one of those machines at the grocery store. I was so freaked out I knocked myself right off of Optifast...and went back to my Starbucks comfort drinks. Makes no sense, I know, right? My doc says Optifast will not cause me to have high BP. Well, I ended up going to CVS and used their machine and I was 134/84. Much better, but too high. I've goofed around for two weeks but this morning I got back on the band wagon. I'd love to keep motivated with everyone on here. I weigh 199.8 and I'm only 5'1". My goal is 115 but I'll settle for 125 right now. I weighed 105, even after three kids, but when my husband passed unexpectedly I gained a lot, on top of having hypothyroid. Ugh! Anyway, today is day 1. I wish everyone good luck. I'd love to have 40 off by my family reunion on June 28 and all of it off by Christmas when I will see all of my family again. I'm doing this for me......and my kids......but, to see the look on my family faces will be joyful.

Makemethin80
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been on Optifast VLCD for 2 days now, I have been replacing my breakfast and lunch with the shakes and having one cup of low carb veggies for dinner, so far so good. I hope more people post in this topic as I don't know anyone who has used Optifast before and it would be good to know how other people have been using this type of weight loss method!

LH21
03-05-2014, 09:49 AM
My name is Lynne and I am new to the forum. Just started Optifast 800 on Monday and I am already down 5 pounds. Im very excited.:carrot: My goal is 30 pounds by June.

danarochelle
03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Hey all! Glad to be here. I just started my second round of Optifast today. Feeling a bit jittery from the Phentermine they give you to help suppress your appetite but feel pretty good otherwise. I have done this one other time but only stuck with it for a week, losing 8 lbs. I'm looking for support and advice. I am also here to support and help out as much as I can!:smug:

nibog
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
I just completed orientation and I will be through my appointments by April 4th then will be fully on the program. I am dying to begin - I will be doing the full fast program

khuynh
03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. Iím glad that I found a forum that has this as a part of it.

Iíve been on OptiFast for 7 days now; yes Iím counting the days. I have a lot of weight to lose. I cannot wait until the tiredness stops. Thatís really the only side effect that Iím having an issue with. You really have to be in the right place to do this diet. I have chronic bursitis of the hips and just couldnít stand the pain or shots anymore so I have to lose the weight. Plus, Iím rather lazy these days with all the work that goes into eating. You know, planning, shopping, cooking, cleanup, etc. So I was eating out a lot. My kids are gone so I donít have to cook.

I also have issues with the scale. The scale and I havenít been on speaking terms for decades. It causes me to yo-yo. Thatís from suffering from Anorexia Nervosa before it was commonly known, if it had a name back then.

So Iím on this for 7 days and I think Iím running at about 900 calories a day. If that is the case, this is the lowest calorie a day diet that Iíve lasted more than a few days. My clothes are getting baggy (my way of tracking). Iím not experiencing some of the sever side effects I usually get, which Iím still in awe of. Either I am completely ready for this or itís not that bad. It may be a bit of both. I know that Iím so done with being a pin cushion. Those shots hurt!

Reading your posts actually made me feel better about this process. Not that I was feeling bad per say. But I was feeling concerned/fear about the unknown and your posts help temper that. Before I can transition into the second phase, I need to lose 15% of my body weight. I hope I can do it in 12 weeks Ö yesterday was hard, the smells at work during lunchtime were taunting me. Today I hope it is better.

Oh and the vanilla shakes taste awful to me, ack! Iím going to try Strawberry.

Goddess In Training
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi Khuynh!

Sounds like your first week went really well, congrats! It's too bad you don't want to hop on a scale; it really is so satisfying and motivating seeing those numbers come down :)

I started at 267 in September. (I am 5'8") I dropped 33ish lbs really quickly and easily (well, 'easily' isn't accurate. I mean, I stuck to the plan and it worked). AFter I hit 35lbs, a stopped and carefully ate 'real food' again, from about December until yesterday.

I've started back up again (I still have a lot to lose), and am raring to go.

My hardest times are right when I get home from work - I want to stuff everything into my mouth; and weekends, when the family is used to grazing all day, and indulging in a 'treat' on Saturday night, while cuddling and watching movies. Evenings, I can get through, by having one of the Optifast chicken soups... but I am so so dreading this weekend. We seriously always order take-out (which is how I got to my size to begin with!)

Khuyn - do you have access to the chocolate shakes? They are freaking delicious. (though the strawberry ones are awesome too - they feel like 'dessert' to me - haha)

Kiker5490
04-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm on Optifast too. Today is day 2 for me. I started this back in October but I didn't do well with all the "eating holidays" at that time of the year. Now, I really want to give this a good trial. I have been thinking about bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve). I've met with the Drs. and have started getting the prior auth done. It occurred to me that I am looking for a surgery to get me where I could be with Optifast if I just stuck with it. Optifast 800 puts me at a similar caloric count and weight loss. I really would like to do this weight loss without surgery. So here I go....day two and down 3.5 lbs. Today was easier than yesterday and I hope tomorrow will go well too. The Dr. that I am going to does not offer a support group for optifast so I am here on this site looking for encouragement and an accountability buddy. I would love to make this happen and finally be a success at this weight loss thing.

I am also a type II diabetic. I'm on 70 units of insulin which is adding to my hunger and weight loss issues. I want off insulin all together....quick!! All of my health issues are attributed to my weight. I have sleep apnea, I'm tired, high BP, sore joints, and some depression. I want to turn my health and life around. I would love it if I could get some optifast support going here. Thanks. I'll be back on tomorrow.

Metamorph
04-16-2014, 07:24 PM
New to this forum. Found it while looking for info on Optifast. As somebody who really believes in eating whole foods for maximum nutrition, I'm pretty skeptical of this diet, but I'm also pretty desperate. Can't believe that you can survive on 4 shakes a day without feeling ravenous or that it doesn't negatively impact your metabolism. But as I say, I'm getting desperate, and this is better than WLS. Meeting with the doc on May 12.

brittslosingit
04-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I have never heard of Optifast before. So this is a doctor-monitored program? Does insurance cover it?

nibog
04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Just had my two week weigh in last night, officially down 10 lbs!

I am on 5 shakes a day (full fast). The program is mostly covered by insurance as far as the doctor evaluations but the shakes (soups and bars also) are out of pocket. Compared to what I was spending on Dunkin Donuts in the morning, going out to lunch and going out for some dinners (never mind alcohol!) I am not finding it to be a great expense at all.

GabbaGirl78
04-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just completed my 2nd week on the program. I am making progress, but I would like to fast forward a few weeks...This is a tough process but I know in the end it will be worth it. I just don't ever want to forget what I had to go through to lose the weight so that I don't let myself go back there.

Kiker5490
04-18-2014, 12:52 PM
I have been on Optifast now for two weeks and am down 10 lbs from my last visit. It has been hard sticking to 5 shakes a day. I am still working on the whole process and have cheated. That being said, I am moving in the right direction and getting better at optifast 800 plan. I haven't reached the ketosis state yet because I still feel hunger. It is getting better and I think I would have be a lot further along if I had more will power. If I had more will power I wouldn't be on this diet in the first place, though. :)

Carla127
04-20-2014, 12:43 PM
I used Optifast in 2009 and was able to lose 30 lbs (from 193 to 163) and keep it off for a few years. In the past year and half the weight has slowly came back on after having some family issues and increase in work stress. I've been feeling like crap and not happy with my body and my lack of energy in general so I decided to do Optifast again. I am currently at 186 and my goal is to get back to 163. This may not seem like a lot but for me it is. Hopefully I can use this forum as a support network. It is great to see other people doing the same program and seeing results!

Kiker5490
04-22-2014, 09:32 PM
:carrot:I am 2 weeks and 4 days into the optifast program. My Dr. did give me some phentermine at the last appointment 4 days ago to see if it will help me stick to the program better. I also decided that I need to get to the gym and work out. I am doing 30 min on the treadmill at 3.4 speed or 1.6 miles. I also am doing some weight lifting with the machines and 15 min. in the dry sauna. While it was a chore getting out there the first time, It has made a huge difference in my overall wellbeing. I was feeling a little depressed and the exercise immediately helped me. Being a T2D the exercise helps the glucose uptake in my muscles and therefore is also helping with my appetite. The exercise program is what I think will be key to my sticking to optifast. I have got to start making some healthier choices and I know that exercise is the #1 thing my Endocrinologist has been encouraging me to do.
I say all of this to encourage all of you to make the effort to do 30 min. of aerobic exercise each day and see if that doesn't help make the program more successful. (I'm trying to motivate myself as I'm typing this) I won't weigh myself till this weekend but I would be surprised if I am not exactly where I hope I will be. (down 6lbs this week or at 242 lbs.) I have a short term goal. I am going to my nieces wedding on Memorial Day. I want to look healthy and slimmer in these family photos that will be taken. If I do this right, my goal by memorial day will be 218 lbs.
I'm here in this online community for support and motivation and hopefully in my journey I will also be able to give as well as receive the support and ultimately the success in weight loss that I so want to achieve.:carrot::carrot::jig::bravo:

nibog
04-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Third weigh in last night - - down another 3.3LBs for a total of 13.3LBs in 19 days!!!

Hopefully next week I will say goodbye to the 250's forever!

StarlightMintz
04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Hi *waves* and yep, it's my first post. :smug: Like the title says, I'm going to the informational meeting next week and I am hoping to start the Optifast program as soon as possible after that.

Maybe it's silly to post before I even start but I have made the decision to do the program and I am going to need all the support I can find. :p

For those of you who went to the informational meeting, are there questions you wish you had asked?

nibog
04-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I found my meeting to be VERY informative. They had a very nice slideshow presentation and we had a booklet with the presentation to bring home to review. She covered EVERYTHING - the appointments, the cost, the program, the maintenance afterwards, etc. They also give you phone numbers so that *should* you have any questions, you have plenty of opportunity to ask them.

From the orientation to the actual starting date of the program, it was about 6 weeks. They call you and schedule you for three appointments - 1) a psych eval 2) a physical (even if you have had one by your primary, you need one by this doctor, at least in my area) 3) a meeting with the exercise coach who takes all your measurements and discusses what you can and cannot do while on the program for health and safety reasons.

Once those appointments are done, you start the program!

StarlightMintz
04-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you for the information, nibog. I needed to hear that it took about 6 weeks to actually get started, as I hadn't really thought about the time it would take to get the appointments in. It's going to be hard to wait as I have the mindset to start today!

nibog
04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
There is a bunch of great groups on Facebook too with Optifast users. I would start poking around now and get an idea of different "recipes" (additives in the shakes) that you can try to mix up the flavors.

I did a LOT of reading while waiting to get on the program and I am so glad I did - helped me get mentally prepared - I knew there were going to be days in the beginning that were hard, but I read from many that once they got through them it was incredibly easier. I have been on the program since April 4th (25 days) and it has indeed become easy. My biggest "problem" is going "Hmm....do I want Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry??"

StarlightMintz
04-29-2014, 10:10 AM
nibog, thanks for the tip about Facebook groups. Like you did, I want to get as much info as I can before I start.

It seems you have done very well so far. I think I understand the vanilla, chocolate, strawberry thing. One blog poster said she views the shake as medicine and just guzzles it down to get it over with. :p

nibog
04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
I am not fond of the strawberry ones and of course found out after I had bought a box of them....so those I guzzled down to get over with.

I love the vanilla - even by itself but it is a great one to play with and mix stuff into.

The chocolate I will warn you - it gives me terrible breath (according to my husband). I like the taste but I have to have a mint right after in order to make it tolerable for those around me!

I have progressed to being able to have their soups (they have chicken and tomato) once a day in place of a shake and I think they are amazing (maybe because they were something OTHER than chocolate/vanilla/strawberry)

The tomato reminds me of the sauce in spaghettios - - Which was just down right heavenly after a few weeks of being with out food!

floralshorts
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I just went to my Optifast orientation last night and will be getting my physical/EKG tomorrow and will be meeting with a doctor on Thursday. I'm nervous but really excited!

I've been overweight for a lot of my life until I reached senior year of high school when I lost 70 pounds from diet and exercise. I felt and looked awesome! Then I had my first breakup, was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and long story short I gained it all back and then some.

I'm going to Europe in August and I'd really like to be at my goal weight or at least close to it when I leave. I think with Optifast this is probably pretty possible. I currently weigh 244 pounds and I think I'd like my first goal weight to be 170. I'm 24 years old and 5'5".

How quickly have those of you on Optifast seen results?

StarlightMintz
04-29-2014, 05:40 PM
nibog, I hear ya about the strawberry and I had already thought I wouldn't like it. :p Spaghettios? Now that's something I could get into. :D

Hello floralshorts, I have yet to get started on the Optifast Plan but the informational meeting is next week and I am really looking forward to it. Tell me, does everyone get an EKG with their physical?

Valeria14
04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
HI everyone! I am so happy I found this forum. I feel I can definitely find the extra encouragement I need here. I am on week 4 on the Optifast 800 and it has been quite a journey. I am down 10 lbs :D and I'm very happy about it. However it has not been easy!
I find myself craving salty foods since the shakes nice and sweet. My doctor told me to snack on cucumber and celery for the crunch and saltiness, but sometimes I just want to open a bag of chips and eat the whole salsa container.
I hope to check in at least once and week and report on my journey. I am currently at 199.8lbs and I'm hoping to get to 145lbs.

floralshorts
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Hello floralshorts, I have yet to get started on the Optifast Plan but the informational meeting is next week and I am really looking forward to it. Tell me, does everyone get an EKG with their physical?

I'm not sure if everyone has to or if it's just a thing my clinic requires. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

StarlightMintz
04-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Hi Valeria14 and congratulations on being 10 lbs down already. :bravo:

Thanks for the reply, floralshorts. I guess I'll find out at the meeting. I sure do hope I can get my appointments in quickly and get started soon!

nibog
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi Starlight - - I also had to have an EKG but it was with the "stress test" not the physical. My program has us do an exercise stress test with an EKG monitor (no cost). Pretty much to make sure we are healthy and up to the demands of weight loss.

nibog
04-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Going for my 4th weigh in tonight - so excited. As of last week (3rd weigh in) I was down a total of 13.3 LBs

StarlightMintz
04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Going for my 4th weigh in tonight - so excited. As of last week (3rd weigh in) I was down a total of 13.3 LBs
Good luck with weigh-in! With 13.3 lbs gone you're successful no matter what the scales say tonight. :) Hopefully though, you will have more pounds down!!

Valeria14
04-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Good luck tonight! I agree StarlightMintz, 13.3 is a big accomplishment. I bet jeans are starting to feel loose. keep up posted!

littlebumblebee
04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Congratulations to everyone, you are all doing fantastic. Everyone's story is very inspirational and helpful. Today is my first day and I am determined to stick with it and get healthier.

nibog
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
the first week is the worst Bumble bee - - just keep telling yourself that you can do it!!

Nothing is going to taste as good as losing weight feels!!!!

Are you doing full or modified fast?

nibog
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I am so excited!! Just had my weigh in.... Down a total of 16.00lb in 26 days!!! Officially out of the 250s forever! I have not weighed in under 250 in over 3 years! I am so excited I am posting this on my phone while waiting for my weekly meeting to begin at 4 p.m. :D

floralshorts
04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Congrats on your loss nibog! That's awesome! :D

I just had my appointment with my dietician today as well as my EKG. It went a lot better than I thought it would. I have been lifting weights pretty heavily for the past two months and she told me I have a LOT of muscle, so she said I only need to lose approximately 67 pounds. This made me feel a lot better because I was thinking I'd probably have to lose 100+. She told me if I lost anymore than 70 then I would probably look too skinny, LOL. So this is encouraging.

Currently at 245 lbs. right now exactly. Starting Optifast 70 on Monday (going to a biiiiig birthday bash on Saturday ;D). We decided that if Optifast 70 is too crazy for me, I can switch to Optifast 800 after a few weeks.

Is it weird that I'm excited but nervous at the same time? :)

StarlightMintz
04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
nibog,
I am really happy for you! You are doing great!! :bravo:

I can't wait to get started ... I'm getting mighty impatient. :dizzy:

floralshorts
Fantastic that you got some good news and get to start on Monday (*turns a pretty shade of green 'cause I want to get started too*) :p :D

floralshorts
04-30-2014, 10:24 PM
floralshorts
Fantastic that you got some good news and get to start on Monday (*turns a pretty shade of green 'cause I want to get started too*) :p :D
You will start soon! I dunno why but I'm just REALLY nervous about starting! I think it's because I'm anxious to see if this will actually work or not. I mean, I know it will as long as I don't cheat, but I'm really anxious-excited about this whole process!

StarlightMintz
04-30-2014, 10:32 PM
foralshorts

It's a big step to take and an expensive one too but it's gonna be sooo worth it! You're gonna do great!! :)

nibog
05-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Floralshorts I get butterflies in my stomach every time I go to weigh in. I know it is silly as I have no cheated once but it still is a "what if my luck ran out and I didn't lose and am going to stay fat forever" panic for about 5 min as I am about to head in.

Ridiculous? Yes. Improbable? Very likely. Still happens? Every damn time.

Carla127
05-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Excited to see everyone's progress. Good job and keep up the hard work!

I started Optifast on 4/20 and have lost 9 lbs! (Currently at 177!) I feel incredible and love the changes that just 9 lbs will make. Excited to keep going. I definitely find that if I start the day with shakes, save my food allowance until later in the day, and get in all my water that I am not hungry at all. If I eat food early and just have shakes left I tend to get hungry and have an extra fruit or veggies.

My worry is with Spring comes a few parties which will have food and alcohol. I know I will have no problem saying no to alcohol as I'm not a big drinker but with a baptism, wedding, and 1st birthday all this month it is going to be hard to stick to healthy eating.

Any tips for these occasions?

186/177/163

nibog
05-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Just remember...alcohol is forbidden on the diet! Our livers are already working over time processing all the fat we are squeezing out of our bodies - add alcohol into our system and you risk doing a lot more damage than a hang over. You will also take your self out of ketosis....have a few days where you are STARVING as your body adjusts and can mess with your weeks weight loss.

Doesn't sound like its worth it to me! Have some tonic water and keep a bunch of veggies at your finger tips - - you will feel 1000 times better for it.

StarlightMintz
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Carla127
I have yet to start the Optifast program so I can't really give advice, but I wanted to say howdy and give you a pat on the back for the -9! :)

nibog
05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Love this program..... I am 0.4lbs away from 20lbs lost.... Lost another 3.6lbs this week

StarlightMintz
05-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Love this program..... I am 0.4lbs away from 20lbs lost.... Lost another 3.6lbs this week
You are doing wonderfully! Keep going ... We are watching you! lol :D

fah.chief
05-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Well this is pretty awesome innit?

Hi everyone ;) I am new to the forum and I'm pretty stoked to have found this discussion board on optifast. I'm excited because I am starting tomorrow and my goal is to lose 22 kgs to be exact. I have done optifast before and have been successful but I did not follow through with it. I'm really convinced that this programme works. I understand that a lot of people think of optifast as a fad diet because it only consists of shakes, but I put that down to lack of information. My last journey with optifast was almost like a re-introduction to having a proper relationship with food. Obviously people will gain the weight they've lost if they're not committed to the programme so it's not so much the programme that's a failure but one's commitment to it.

Anyway, I'm so excited because this time it's not just me doing it. A lot of people at work are doing it as well so that's definitely a bonus. Plus being here in the forum is already a motivation. Just reading all your stories gets me all pumped up and ready to go for tomorrow. :carrot: So nice to be here.

StarlightMintz
05-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Well this is pretty awesome innit?

Hi everyone ;) I am new to the forum and I'm pretty stoked to have found this discussion board on optifast. I'm excited because I am starting tomorrow and my goal is to lose 22 kgs to be exact. I have done optifast before and have been successful but I did not follow through with it. I'm really convinced that this programme works. I understand that a lot of people think of optifast as a fad diet because it only consists of shakes, but I put that down to lack of information. My last journey with optifast was almost like a re-introduction to having a proper relationship with food. Obviously people will gain the weight they've lost if they're not committed to the programme so it's not so much the programme that's a failure but one's commitment to it.

Anyway, I'm so excited because this time it's not just me doing it. A lot of people at work are doing it as well so that's definitely a bonus. Plus being here in the forum is already a motivation. Just reading all your stories gets me all pumped up and ready to go for tomorrow. :carrot: So nice to be here.
:wel3fc:
Hi there :)
Good for you for taking charge of your health and weight! Optifast is a good program and I particularly like the medical supervision aspect. Wednesday I find out when I get to start and in the meantime I'm counting calories. :)
Good luck and keep posting! :)

Darwin503
05-28-2014, 01:15 AM
OP here. Wow! Can't believe this thread is still going. I'm glad so many people are getting support here.

A quick update on my progress: I'm still at 170 lbs. and feeling great. I just had my excess skin removed surgically, and I'm thrilled with the results. I feel like my transformation is complete.

As for the perception of Optifast being a fad, I think it is a combination of lack of information, and the fact that most "diets" are fads. Once you understand the complex process, and the effort (no magic bullet here) required it becomes clear it is anything but a fad.

Good luck on your journeys, and I promise to check in more often. :)

nibog
05-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Hey OP!!! Glad to see your success!! I hope to be in your shoes soon!! I have already considered what to do if I can tone my under arm area....I have always had large underarms and I am terrified of losing weight and having flabby "wings"
I was thinking of having it "tightened/trimmed" if it became an issue but was nervous about it.

What was your experience/recovery like if you don't mind me asking...

Darwin503
05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey OP!!! Glad to see your success!! I hope to be in your shoes soon!! I have already considered what to do if I can tone my under arm area....I have always had large underarms and I am terrified of losing weight and having flabby "wings"
I was thinking of having it "tightened/trimmed" if it became an issue but was nervous about it.

What was your experience/recovery like if you don't mind me asking...

First of all, congratulations on your success thus far. As I got deeper intoy fast, and it became apparent to everyone in my group who made it that far that there was going to be a skin issue, some people expressed real anxiety over it. Some even wondered if they should bother continuing to lose weight.

Our group leader helped us shift our thinking. Weight loss is about health, and feeling well. A side effect of losing weight is looking slimmer, and a side effect of being heavy is the excess skin. Once we stopped blaming our weight loss for the skin, we were able to cope with it.

Now to answer the question you asked :) Everyones skin situation will be different. I am a man, and have a decent amount of muscle in my arms. I have a slight bit of skin near my arm pit, but it doesn't bother me. My problem area was my stomach and chest. I had a tummy tick that removed 3 pounds of fat and skin, and liposuction on my chest.

Recovery took 3 weeks, and I would say it was more constant discomfort as opposed to pain. I was off the pain killers day 3. I had a hard time with the drainage tubes, and had to have 1 removed early. Once it came out around day 10, my healing occurred rapidly. I would do it all over again without hesitation.

Fawks
06-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey All :D
WOW Great to see other Optifaster's on here!!!! I'm in the Optifast program in Canada and I believe it's slightly different then the states. We don't have bars or soups or anything like that.. just the shakes.

I attend weekly meetings at the hospital, and in those meetings the province pays for the nutritionist, behavior modification therapist, personal trainer, and nurses + doctor. This is my 5th week on program, and I've just hit over the 20 lbs gone mark!!

I miss food... A LOT... but they reasoning they have behind the shakes is that by cutting us off from ALL food for 12 weeks, it allows us to re-set our old habits, and we're learning new ones in class. I feel confident that this time I will reach my goal thanks to Optifast :D (I've tried other diets in the past and never seen much success)

fah.chief
06-01-2014, 04:33 PM
WEEK 1 ACCOUNTABILITY REPORT

Hey everyone! Ah, Monday. My weigh in day. So I have just completed my first week of Optifast. My goal was just basically to complete week 1 strictly following the recommended programme (for AU & NZ, it's 3 Optifast products + two cups of low starch veggies + >2L water + a tsp of vegetable oil /day). I will say that I did cheat one day as I ate this Indian smashed pumpkin thing (I don't know what it is called) which was not allowed. But apart from that I followed it throughout the entire week. I didn't do actual exercises yet because I wanted to focus on just allowing myself to adjust with the diet first. The first day was the toughest!!! I totally felt hunger pangs the entire day so I jest kept on drinking water. The second day wasn't too bad. By day 3, I was fine. I suppose doing some weight loss hypnosis every night helped me with my food cravings too :)

So for week 1 I have lost...3.5 kgs (7.7 lbs)! so 14.7 kgs more to go :)

For week 2, my focus is to basically stick with the programme and start exercising for an hour or so. The only activity I had last week was basically walking at work and I do about 15000 steps on a 9 hour shift (I work in the operating theatre of a hospital). The challenge this week is that I will be working four 10-night shifts so I have to alter my optifast schedule and I haven't figured that out yet. But I am excited and ready. Bring on week 2! :carrot:

I hope you guys are all doing fantastic!

:wel3fc:
Hi there :)
Good for you for taking charge of your health and weight! Optifast is a good program and I particularly like the medical supervision aspect. Wednesday I find out when I get to start and in the meantime I'm counting calories. :)
Good luck and keep posting! :)

Thanks heaps! :^:

Fawks
06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey!!! Congrats on the loss! That is AWESOME!

I'm glad the hunger pangs have died down.. after a few days your body slips into Ketosis, which suppresses your appetite and turns your body from a carb eating machine into a fat eating machine. Basically instead of looking for carbs to get energy, it uses your fat stores... which in turn helps you lose weight faster :D

Way to go on an AWESOME 1st week!!! And as for the tiny slip up... we're all human. Part of this process is learning to forgive yourself and learn from mistakes rather than beat ourselves up over them.

As for the exercise, I'm not sure how your program works, but for mine they told us to not do ANY strenous exercise until the fasting part (the shakes) are over, if i remember correctly, it's because anything that will cause muscle mass to grow, can damage your body while in ketosis and dropping weight rapidly. Walking and yoga is OK, and anything your body was already used to (Minus weight training).. but like if you have been doing kick boxing every week for 20 years... you can still do that. But don't add too much otherwise you might do more harm than good.

Good luck on Week 2 :D

fah.chief
06-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Oh awesome! Thanks for the tips Fawks, especially with the exercise bit. Yeah, I did hear about not exercising during the intensive phase seeing that one has only got enough calories during that phase. I'll probably stick to walking after work, or just moving in general. It's generally fine when I'm working, but I have been on a four days off now and I'm studying for an exam so I have been rather stationary. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

Fairybell
06-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Newbee here. On second week of WS core. Thank you for the note about not drinking wine and such. I did a few times last week, and think that may be why I only lost 2.5 lbs my first week. This week I will find something non alcohol to drink for cocktail time. I don't want to feel left out, but I don't want to slow my weight loss either.

Fawks
06-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Anytime :D

The beginning is sooooooo the hardest part, but it DOES get easier.. I promise :carrot:
Oh awesome! Thanks for the tips Fawks, especially with the exercise bit. Yeah, I did hear about not exercising during the intensive phase seeing that one has only got enough calories during that phase. I'll probably stick to walking after work, or just moving in general. It's generally fine when I'm working, but I have been on a four days off now and I'm studying for an exam so I have been rather stationary. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

Happyradio
06-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Just completed day one on Optifast 800. I didn't get hungry today but found myself looking for food out of reflex and habit. Hoping to lose 100 lbs eventually. The hospital program I'm in lasts 24 weeks with transition to food in week 15.
I find the vanilla ready to drink shake to be gross. My favorite of the day was the chocolate powder.
Good luck to everyone. I am glad I found this forum.

Fawks
06-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Congrats on completing day 1! You will get to your 100 lbs goal, I just know it :D

Not sure if our vanilla and your vanilla taste the same (I'm on Optifast 900) but if you're allowed on your plan, I found adding a dash of cinnamon to the vanilla powder before shaking it up makes it taste a bit like eggnog which makes it more palatable for me :D

But I agree Chocolate is the way to go.. MMM I love my chocolate shakes :D

Wannabechef
06-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am in week three of my Optifast program. The first week was great - 10.2 pounds lost! The second week was not as good - only 2.2 pounds lost. I know not every week will be a 10 pound week, but I was disheartened that week 2 was minimal. I felt like "I could have eaten food all week (on a different program) and lost the same amount". We'll see what week 3 brings. It has been very difficult sticking strictly to the program- I must admit I have had a bite here and there of food (literally a bite and no more). Would that bring me out of the ketosis state? This is my second time on the plan. My first time was about five years ago before I had my son...and I swore I would never need to go back to such an extreme measure to lose weight....but here I am. This time seems harder. I hope the results start kicking in. I don't want to feel all this effort is for nothing.

Fawks
06-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi Wannabechef :)

Congrats on the progress so far!!! Be careful about the bites of food though, it very well could be slipping you out of Ketosis. all it takes is about 20 calories to slip out (3 sticks of gum a day) also by ingesting carbs of any time you can be stunting the ketosis progress since the act of ketosis is turning your body from a carb eating machine to a fat eating machine.. so if you're ingesting carbs, your body naturally wants to continue consuming carbs for energy rather than your fat.

Don't worry so much about the number on the scale though, my first week I lost 9, then 2 then 2.5 then 2.5 then 5.5 and I've followed it to the letter. I have no idea what makes some weeks better than others :S

Also, as a women, our bodies are built to hold onto fat... so the guys will lose twice as much and twice as fast.. it sucks, but that's our lot in life. BOOO

Good luck and don't kick yourself too hard for those bites

Wannabechef
06-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks Fawks for your words of encouragement. It is a difficult road we are on, but with determination, we will get there. In the overall picture, it IS progress. But in the minute to minute challenges of sitting with family at mealtimes (some of whom can eat mostly anything and not put on a pound like my DH), it feels like more than I can handle at times. I know that I am the one who put myself in this position, time and time again...and I am the only one who can fix it. I have to keep thinking of my two boys (ages 7 and 4) and how much they deserve to have a mom who can play and keep up with them. ;-)

Fawks
06-08-2014, 01:53 PM
That's a great way to think about it! Your body DO deserve a Mom who can play and keep up with them, and you will get there :D

Why not skip the first part of family meal for a few days, set the table, serve the food, and then go for a walk around the block. Come back, make your shake, and finish up the meal all together. could be a good way to get in exercise AND keep away from the most tempting part of the meal (when everyone is digging in) but still be there for the talking and the quality time :)

This is a rough road, but we're doing it and we're kicking butt at it :D Baby steps forward will get you there, keep up the awesome work!

Wannabechef
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I absolutely LOVE that suggestion!! I am always saying that I can't find the time to exercise - but that would be the perfect time to fit it in. That is going to be my goal for this week.

Also, happy to say that this week (week 3) was much better number-wise. 5.6 pounds this week for a total of 18 pounds GONE!! And strangely enough the only exercise I did was running after my two boys - LOL.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Happyradio
06-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi! I am in the middle of week 2. Down 10 lbs. I am only drinking the Ready to Drinks (800) this week due to an ordering error but I am enjoying them. I am doing a hospital based program that includes weekly classes. I was getting pretty frustrated in class this week because the psychologist/instructor was talking about how common it is for people to regain their weight. I, myself, have done that twice before and am so worried it will happen again. Perhaps the constant reminders that regain can happen will motivate me to make the behavior changes I really need to make.

StarlightMintz
06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Hey y'all,
I'm peeking in to read about everyone's great progress. :cool:
My start day has been delayed to the last week in July so I'm a bit frustrated but trying to be patient... :p

Keep on truckin' everyone! :carrot:

floralshorts
06-14-2014, 09:39 PM
I've been on Optifast since May 5th and I've lost a total of 36.4 pounds so far. :) I'm only 10 pounds away from Onederland! :)

Fawks
06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Hey All!

Wannabechef how did you week go? Did the walks help???

And Hi Starlight! That sucks, my start date was delayed too so I feel the pain! But look at it this way, you get some extra primo Summer weeks to BBQ (unless you are i Australia or something in which case it's Winter... but still BBQ!)

Hope the time passes quickly :D

Good news on my front! I hit the 30 lbs gone marker... Holy can't wait for this week though! I cheated and stepped on the scale (I try not to look at my home scale so Tuesday nights are a surprise) but I just.. I needed some encouragement so I cheated and peeked... and IF the hospital scale agree's with mine, I've also officially left the 320's this week!!!!!! *Hugs my shakes*
I miss food like CRAZY but I'm loving the progress so trying to keep that in mind while I sit at home alone because everyone I know is out for pizza... and I'm having water and a chocolate shake *tears*.
Anyway. WOOT for Weight loss!

Fawks
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Floralshorts that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Onederland is such a great place to be!!!! High-5's! I'm sure the 10 lbs will just slide off and then happy dances all around!

Happyradio
06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Floralshorts, you've lost 36 pounds in 5 weeks?! Amazing. I am hopeful that I lose that quickly. I'm at the end of my second week and am down ten pounds. Keep up the good work!

Wannabechef
06-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a great week!

Fawks, unfortunately the weather did not cooperate with my walks outside this week, but I did find another way to avoid part of meal time. Once everyone was seated and served, I make my shake - or as I like to call it, my "frozen mocha" (5-6 ice cubes, chocolate powder, and 6 oz of cold coffee whirred in the blender). Yum! By the time that is done and I've washed out the blender, much of the eating is done at the table.

Even without as much exercise this week, I lost 3 pounds for a 4 week total of 21 pounds! Woo hoo!! :-)

Hope everyone has an awesome week!!

Fawks
06-18-2014, 05:24 PM
That is GREAT News Wannabechef! I just had my weigh in last night and I'm officially OUT of the 320's!!!! I've lost 35.5 lbs now to date (8 weeks) So excited!

StarlightMintz
06-18-2014, 08:08 PM
:wave:
Just peekin' in to see how you all are doing and I must say that I'm mighty impressed!
Hopefully I'll be joining you all very soon .... I start full fast the first week in July and I'm so, so ready!

nibog
06-19-2014, 06:49 AM
last week I completed 10 weeks so far on Full Fast - - down 37.8 lbs!!! I am now in the 220s again!

diyana
06-20-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm nervous. I'm scared. I'm praying that I can stick with whatever method I choose to lose weight.

My doctor recently told me that in addition to my current health problems likely getting worse T2D, HBP, Sleep Apnea, High cholesterol, etc., my current limited mobility due to back pain will also likely get worse if I don't lose a significant amount of weight soon. She recommended Opti-Fast over bariatric surgery, though I am considering and researching both.

I went to an introductory class about weight loss surgery, which was ok. I think I learned one or two things, but mostly it covered things I heard about from friends, my niece who is a dietician in Southern Cal and works with bariatric patients, and info I found online. Anyway, the class is required as a first step for anyone considering weight loss surgery. The next step is get a referral for surgery from my primary physician and then to take the surgery overview class which is conducted by a dietician and goes into more details, then to meet with the surgeon, and all that stuff. I'm going to wait to ask my doc for a referral until next week after I complete the intro class tomorrow for the "Medical Weight Management Program" (Opti-Fast).

My bf really wants me to try Opti-Fast first as he doesn't think it's smart to have surgery to resize, reroute and remove my internal organs without first trying to lose weight by any means (meaning Opti-Fast or any other means) while keeping my body in-tact. I understand his concern. I also know that he has not been with me through my weight loss struggles and increasing pain these past 10 years since I hurt my back. It's a lot to think about. I didn't fall asleep until nearly midnight last night because I was thinking about this.

I understand my bf's concern is because he loves me, and I appreciate his concern. My sister, who did Opti-Fast successfully and kept nearly 100 lbs off for 3 years (and then gained some of it back), said she'd recommend having surgery over Opti-Fast. Her daughter (my niece) had gastric bypass (RNY) and it saved her life. My niece is 5'2" (same as me) and was around 300 lbs. I don't know how much my niece lost, but she looks and feels great, and is having a very healthy pregnancy (she's due in a couple weeks). Another difference between Opti-Fast and surgery is that my insurance covers surgery (out of pocket would be around $100, maybe slightly more). My insurance doesn't cover Opti-Fast (out of pocket would be around $4,000 or more). My bf thinks it doesn't make sense to have organs resized, rerouted and removed to save money. I understand his concern. I am giving this careful and serious consideration...there is so much to think about and research.

My back specialist is recommending I start with Opti-Fast because for my insurance/medical group patients who want bariatric surgery are required to lose 10% of their body weight prior to surgery.

I just want to make the right decision for me, and to have the strength and determination to stick with it.

StarlightMintz
06-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi Diyanna,

I read your post and just want to say that I understand where you're coming from. :hug: Either option requires a huge personal commitment for the rest of your life.

It seems you are doing a great job researching and exploring both Optifast and bariatric surgery. I did the same and I wrote down the pros and cons of both options. For me it became clear that the medical weight loss is what I need to do. Hopefully which direction you should go will become clear soon.

Good luck!!

Fawks
06-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Diyana. I commend you on giving this thought. It's a hard choice to make, especially when you factor in the money too! The different between 100 and 4000 is A LOT.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Neither route is 100% guaranteed. It all depends on YOU and how well you commit to the program (Whichever you decide). Both have health risks.. however the health risks are MUCH lower with Optifast, which is why I went that route over surgery. I decided much like your BF to go the non-surgical route first because if that works... I avoided surgery and putting myself at such great risk.

That isn't to say Optifast is for everyone. But I can highly recommend it.

It truly works.. from the bottom of my heart I'm telling you that if you follow program, it DOES work and it will help. My health wasn't as bad as yours... but before I started program I needed a cane to walk... within the first 2 weeks on program, I no longer needed the cane... 8 weeks later my BP was text book perfect (It was high before), and I've dropped 35 lbs so far.

There are other people in my course who by week 8 have been removed from insulin for their diabetes because of the weight they lost... It's such a great feeling!

It's not pain free.. as we lose weight, our internal organs and spines shift to accomodate our new walking gaits and increased physical activity and all that jazz... but with stretching and the proper medical care whatever pain you feel now will lessen as time goes on.

This isn't a cure all... and I can't speak on behalf of gastric because I haven't gone through it, nor was I interested in it because I was afraid of the health risks... but I can speak to the benefits of Optifast.. It's a life saver.
OH And also, don't forget while you're on product.. you aren't buying groceries, or going out for dinner etc etc. So the money you save on groceries can be put towards the Optifast money :D

Anyway, that's my thoughts for what it's worth. I wish you the best of luck whichever route you choose *Hugs*

nibog
06-21-2014, 09:57 PM
When my husband and I sat down after doing the program for a couple months, we found it only added about $150-200 to our total average bills. The money I am NOT spending adds up - Dunkin Donuts, going out to dinner, buying groceries, buying lunch, alcohol (I was a light drinker to begin with!), snacks.... As it is, buying a coffee and a bagel every day at Dunkin was costing nearly $100 a month....and that is such a little, everyday habit that you don't even pay attention to.

Since I am not eating, my husband decided he could at least try eating BETTER - and the costs have gone down even more since neither of us is drinking soda or really snacking anymore.

You cannot just look at this program as what it costs to do with out taking into consideration what you will not longer be spending money on - there is definitely room in most people's budgets once you do the math.

Fawks
06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
I agree with Nibog wholeheartedly! The money you save just by not having to do groceries or go out, heck even the GAS to get to and from the grocery store ;) It all adds up and in the end I fully believe this is worth it 100%

diyana
06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks so much to those who responded to me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your insight.

I've made my decision. And what I've decided is essentially what several people, including my doctor, have suggested.

Tomorrow, I'm going to ask my doctor for a referral for bariatric surgery. Once she submits the referral, I'll have a surgery orientation with the dietician and possibly others from the bariatric program staff. At that orientation, my weight will be taken...the starting weight...of which I have to lose 10% before I can have surgery. To lose that 10%, I have signed up for the Medical Weight Management Program (Opti-Fast). Once I've lost the initial 10%, which will take roughly a month, I'll decide whether to do the surgery or continue with the Opti-Fast. One of the doctors of the Opti-Fast program says that bariatric surgery patients frequently use the Opti-Fast to lose the 10% and then some of them end up cancelling their surgery. I figure by 3-4 weeks into the Opti-Fast, I'll know whether I can do another 3 months of Opti-Fast, or if surgery would be the best option.

I've sought out opinions of lots of people and done some soul searching. Yes, it would be preferable to lose weight without having any internal organs altered. The question that I keep asking myself is...will I be able to keep my food healthy and portions small if I don't surgically alter my stomach? And honestly, I don't know.

What I do know is that however I lose the weight, is going to require discipline. Discipline and commitment that I'll need for the rest of my life.

Question for those who are either in the transition to food phase or in the "full-food" phase. How much did you regain? How diligent are you with your healthy eating and portion control? How many calories a day do you eat?

nibog
06-23-2014, 11:22 AM
By losing weight, especially on a diet like optifast where your portions are so small anyways - your stomach will naturally shrink

diyana
06-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks, nibog and everyone!! :hug:

Fawks
06-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Diyana I'm so happy for you :D That's a great choice and it's awesome to know you are still keeping options open and not closing yourself off to one avenue until you are sure. I think you made an excellent choice

On my end I'm SOOOOOO Excited! Just got out of my week 10 meeting.. and I've hit the 40 lbs mark! WOOOOOOOOOOOOT Insert oodles of happy dances here!

I dyed my hair purple when I hit 30.. something I've ALWAYS wanted to do but have never had the guts to do... now wondering what to do for 40.. or if I should wait until 60 LOL. It took me until 30 lbs gone to get up the guts to dye my hair... and now I have no clue haha. Non-food rewards are still a challenge for me, but I'm working on it :D

StarlightMintz
06-25-2014, 07:11 PM
diyanna,
Good for you!! ... It sounds like you're made a well thought out, wise decision. :)

Fawks,
What has been the reaction to your funky new hair color? You have me thinking about what reward I want when I drop below 200. At the moment I'm thinking a professional foot rub. woot! :D

On Friday I start 5 days of transition to full fast! Yay! :broc:

nibog
06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
LOVE reading the success stories! I weighed in last night with a loss of 41.8lbs total - - LOVE Optifast.

If you follow the program, it works. Biggest thing is to stick with it!!!

Fawks
06-26-2014, 09:11 AM
starlight everyone so far has LOVED it... Well my grandma told me to wash it out.. but she giggled too so I'm going to say she secretly likes it :P

But seriously, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and I'm so happy I did it!

A foot rub sounds AWESOME! Now you've got me wanting one haha

floralshorts
06-27-2014, 01:48 AM
Down a total of 44.4 pounds... I weighed in this morning at 201.4. I am so close to Onederland I can taste it! :)

On another note, I'm in heaven right now. I'm way more of a savory eater rather than sweets, so at night when my cravings are at an all time high, I yearn for something like a burger. No, I haven't cheated, but I discovered that I can make a pseudo-soup with chicken and beef bouillon. Add a little spices here and there, warm it up in the microwave... omg. Lifesaver.

nibog
06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
WOOHOO! Floralshorts I am so excited for you! I bet you will hit Onederland next week! I am both so happy and so jealous lol....my little green monster is doing a happy dance for you

PS You need to update your tracker! You are not 209lbs anymore!!!

StarlightMintz
06-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Fawks,
Your grandma sounds cute, giggling at you like that. :)

Floralshorts,
Awesome on that 44.4 lbs loss! That's just amazing!! :)
I can't wait to get that close to Onderland!!

Today I started the transition to full fast with 2 prescribed meals and 3 shakes. I thought I had to do transition for only 5 days but I was mistaken, it's 11 days. :rolleyes: I'm feeling a bit impatient/frustrated about that but I'll do as I'm told.

diyana
06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Congrats, FloralShorts!! I'm so excited for you!!

Goddess In Training
06-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi there - I hope it's okay if I join? :)

I am on Week 2 of the Optifast programme hosted by my large teaching hospital. It's a great programme, with weekly 3 hour learning sessions that are mandatory. We talk to nutritionists, behavourists, and physicians, etc.

So far, last night was my first weigh-in, and I am down 6lbs for week 1.

Gonna be honest, it's 'that time of month' starting right now, and I have a feeling that I am not going to lose much this week.

All that being said, I did Optifast about 9 months ago and dropped 30 lbs. (and then slowly gained some of that back) And I did that on my own, with out the support I have on the programme. So... I am pretty optimistic about this!

:)

I am so thrilled to have found this thread with you other Optifasters!! (And, I see, a Canadian or two as well!)

StarlightMintz
06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi Goddess, and of course you can join this thread! :)
I'm sure you're going to do very well on Optifast since you have been successful before and have learned what not to do. ;) :)
I'm in transition to full fast and it seems like I'm eating too much!

Goddess In Training
06-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Interesting, we never did a transition to fast per se; the week before we started the fast, we were encouraged to go down to a 1200 calorie a day diet, but this was more to ensure we didn't get into the fatalistic "OMG I will never eat again! Must stuff myself with junk!" last-meal mindset ;-)

How does everyone find weekends? They are the hardest for me. At work, no problem, the shakes are SUPER handy for breakfast and lunch, then often I'll have one on the drive home.

But weekends? When I am used to ordering in chinese and pizza and watching movies and eating chips? *sigh* hahaha. Avoided the pizza the family ordered last night, and avoided goodies at the movie theatre today. What a pain in the arse. hahahah

floralshorts
06-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your continuing support, guys. :D I'm very excited. The past two days I've weighed in it says I'm up about a pound... clearly that is water weight as I haven't cheated. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the bouillon made me retain extra water... hmm.

Only 58 days until my Europe vacation... I ordered some shorts today on American Eagle and I'm pretty freaking excited about them. *___* I can fit into size 10 AE jeggings now - hoping to fit into size 8 jeggings by the time I leave.

Wannabechef
06-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Hi Goddess! Yes weekends definitely have been the most difficult days for me...that is until school got out (I am a school psychologist and so am now on summer break). Now every day presents a challenge. I have found though that sticking to my schedule of shakes and trying to make them as enticing as possible (like whirring chocolate powder, 6oz of cold coffee, and a few ice cubes in a blender or mixing chocolate powder with 3/4 can of diet black cherry or cream soda and freezing like a granita) are certainly helpful. Also, I just try to stay busy - exercise, playing with the kids, going to the playground, or just taking time to read through magazines (mostly food-related, go figure!) that I had not been able to during the school year. Checking these forums also helps to keep me motivated! :-)

Best of luck!

I am finishing my 6th week today...weigh-in tomorrow...fingers crossed!

floralshorts
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Well, I guess the bouillon didn't affect me since I weighed in this morning at 200.6 pounds! Only 0.8 pounds until Onederland! AHHHHH :carrot:

nibog
06-30-2014, 07:37 AM
YAY !!! OH fingers crossed Floralshorts!!!

StarlightMintz
06-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I discovered something yummy~

cold concentrated decaf chai tea mixed with the vanilla shake! :hun:

Goddess In Training
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone

@Wannabechef - thank you :) Got through the weekend with a healthy amount of crankiness... hahah.

Oh, @Floralshorts, I am SO SO eager to hit Onederland, I can't even imagine it. I have quite a ways to go, you must be just walking on air :)

@Starlightmintz - sounds good :) I have been having my shakes with Torani Sugar Free syrup - specifically English Toffee. So. Freaking. Good. I actually need to order more syrup. They have salted caramel! Chocolate chip cookie dough! Lemon! all zero sugar, zero calorie, zero fat, zero carb, zero everything. Wheee! :)

As for myself, I didn't lose this weekend, but I know why. I definitely didn't drink enough water, and had too much diet pop instead. My own dumbness. I corrected it today (much easier at work - I drink from a big 3 litre jug all day)

Fawks
07-01-2014, 03:03 PM
YESSSSS Lost another 5 lbs this week, which get's me out of the 310's and into single digits!

Only 9 lbs until the 200's baby!!!!

Goddess In Training
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
WooHoo @Fawks!! Congrats!!!
I love getting into the next "10th" down (if that makes sense)

Lesson I've learned on Optifast.

Never.... ever... trust a fart.

That is all.

StarlightMintz
07-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone

@Starlightmintz - sounds good :) I have been having my shakes with Torani Sugar Free syrup - specifically English Toffee. So. Freaking. Good. I actually need to order more syrup. They have salted caramel! Chocolate chip cookie dough! Lemon! all zero sugar, zero calorie, zero fat, zero carb, zero everything. Wheee! :)

As for myself, I didn't lose this weekend, but I know why. I definitely didn't drink enough water, and had too much diet pop instead. My own dumbness. I corrected it today (much easier at work - I drink from a big 3 litre jug all day)
:coffee: Good morning or whatever~ :)

Goddess,
On the advice of other Optifasters I bought several Torani Sugar Free Syrups before I started but my nutritionist says not to use them! :?: She says that we're trying to retrain our brain to not crave salt, sugars, and fat and that those syrups can make the shakes taste overly sweet. I'm not sure I agree with her thinking but I'm giving it a whirl. :shrug:

I'm sorry you didn't show a loss this week but man, oh man just look at your weight tracker! You're doing so well!! :cp
... and LMAO @ "never trust a fart" :D

Fawks,
You are amazing! Keep on truckin' ... we're watching you! :D

Floralshorts,
Onderland is such a big deal! What will you do to celebrate when you get there next weigh in? :)

floralshorts
07-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm officially a member of the Onederland club... weighed in at 199.6 this morning. :) This all feels VERY real now!

Wannabechef
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Floralshorts, that is A-W-E-S-O-M-E:dizzy: So happy for you!!!

StarlightMintz
07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
:cheer3: Go! floralshorts Go! :cheer3:

~and~

:cheer3: Go! Optifasters Go! :cheer3:

Happyradio
07-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Congratulations, Floralshorts!

StarlightMintz
07-03-2014, 07:45 AM
How are you doing, Happyradio? :)

I'm still transitioning into full fast. :) I get about 1200 calories in 3 shakes and 2 small meals. 6 more days till I can go on full fast woo hoo!

Little tips from my nutritionist/center:
1 prune a day to prevent constipation
1 soup or 1/4 of a bullion cube or 2 dill pickles a day while the weather is hot to prevent lightheadedness

Carliena143
07-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I am new to this site but had questions about your weightlessness, so please forgive me If I am posting In the wrong place. How much did the optima set run you , did you find discount savings? Also did you have excess skin after the weightless? What exercise routine/regime did you follow?? Please forgive me if these questions are too personal but I really really need to loose weight

Happyradio
07-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks for asking, StarlightMintz. I'm in the middle of week 5. Doing well. Down 17 pounds plus I lost ten before I began Optifast 800. I like the chicken soup powder, peanut butter and chocolate bars, and chocolate ready to drink shakes best.

StarlightMintz
07-04-2014, 10:34 PM
I am new to this site but had questions about your weightlessness, so please forgive me If I am posting In the wrong place. How much did the optima set run you , did you find discount savings? Also did you have excess skin after the weightless? What exercise routine/regime did you follow?? Please forgive me if these questions are too personal but I really really need to lose weight
Hi,
Your questions are a bit hard to answer. The cost of an Optifast medical weight loss program varies. Sometimes insurance will cover portions of it. Optifast centers offer free informational meetings and I suggest attending one of those to get the particulars.

People often do have excess skin after weight loss. Genetics, amount lost and age play a part in how much loose/excess skin.

StarlightMintz
07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks for asking, StarlightMintz. I'm in the middle of week 5. Doing well. Down 17 pounds plus I lost ten before I began Optifast 800. I like the chicken soup powder, peanut butter and chocolate bars, and chocolate ready to drink shakes best.
Sounds like you're doing great! :) Good luck and keep us posted! :)

floralshorts
07-05-2014, 09:34 PM
I have been having a horrible last few days, cravings-wise. All I want is for something savory, not sweet. At first I thought the bouillon wasn't affecting me, but it does seem to cause water weight gain, so I stopped drinking it. I've begun counting down the days until vacation so that I can start eating food again. I'll be gone for 3.5 weeks in Europe so when I get back I'll probably Optifast for another month or so to get down to my ideal weight.

I don't know. I just feel extremely moody and grumpy. I want pizza and tacos so bad. Even carrots with ranch dressing sound like a delicacy to me right now. I kind of want to cry just thinking about all of this.

I guess the good thing is that I am down to 198 pounds from my starting 245.8.

StarlightMintz
07-06-2014, 12:46 AM
I have been having a horrible last few days, cravings-wise. All I want is for something savory, not sweet. At first I thought the bouillon wasn't affecting me, but it does seem to cause water weight gain, so I stopped drinking it. I've begun counting down the days until vacation so that I can start eating food again. I'll be gone for 3.5 weeks in Europe so when I get back I'll probably Optifast for another month or so to get down to my ideal weight.

I don't know. I just feel extremely moody and grumpy. I want pizza and tacos so bad. Even carrots with ranch dressing sound like a delicacy to me right now. I kind of want to cry just thinking about all of this.

I guess the good thing is that I am down to 198 pounds from my starting 245.8.
When is your vacation? Have you considered going on a modified plan now instead of waiting? You have done so well so far! I would hate to see you get so frustrated you give in to unplanned eating. :hug:

Fawks
07-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Congrats to all and thanks for the congrats too! :P

Didn't have group last tues because of Canada day... so really looking forward to this Tuesday's meeting. Shake wise still going strong, still no cheating. but OMG I want it so bad.

The scary part is i feel like my addictive personality is reaching towards other addictions to compensate for my not binging on food anymore. I.E online shopping :S It hasn't gotten insane or anything, still within my means... but WAY more than I used to... and I'm having a hard time figuring out of it's because I feel better about myself and am treating myself to new things as a reward instead of food (i.e dyed my hair purple, which has lead to my internet shopping a whole bunch of hair products and tools that I never wanted to spend the money on before like a flat iron and what not)... also bought nail polish... and a new dress..

On the one hand I feel like it could very well just be me being happy and wanting to enjoy the new smaller me and take care of myself more.... but because I know I have an addictive personality, I'm afraid of this becoming a new obsession.

And if that's the case... what will happen once I'm off the shakes?
So cue me sitting here huddled in a corner afraid to move LOL.
Plus side... still haven't given into the temptation of food even though my BF is an idiot and brought pizza and my fave chips into the house *grumbles*

floralshorts
07-06-2014, 10:59 AM
StarlightMintz - my vacation is not until August 26th. :( I'm going to persist though. I think I might be plateauing honestly. Haven't lost a thing in 3 days even though I haven't cheated. I'm just trying to stay positive and remind myself that this is all worth it.

floralshorts
07-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Hmm, I'm feeling a lot better today. The plateau and cravings seem like minsicule worries to me at this point. I'm just going to keep Optifasting and remain positive. :) I mean, I'm down nearly 50 pounds... I shouldn't complain about that! If I can get to 180 or 175 by the end of August, I will be more than happy.

StarlightMintz
07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Congrats to all and thanks for the congrats too! :P

Didn't have group last tues because of Canada day... so really looking forward to this Tuesday's meeting. Shake wise still going strong, still no cheating. but OMG I want it so bad.

The scary part is i feel like my addictive personality is reaching towards other addictions to compensate for my not binging on food anymore. I.E online shopping :S It hasn't gotten insane or anything, still within my means... but WAY more than I used to... and I'm having a hard time figuring out of it's because I feel better about myself and am treating myself to new things as a reward instead of food (i.e dyed my hair purple, which has lead to my internet shopping a whole bunch of hair products and tools that I never wanted to spend the money on before like a flat iron and what not)... also bought nail polish... and a new dress..

On the one hand I feel like it could very well just be me being happy and wanting to enjoy the new smaller me and take care of myself more.... but because I know I have an addictive personality, I'm afraid of this becoming a new obsession.

And if that's the case... what will happen once I'm off the shakes?
So cue me sitting here huddled in a corner afraid to move LOL.
Plus side... still haven't given into the temptation of food even though my BF is an idiot and brought pizza and my fave chips into the house *grumbles*

Fawks,
Good for you for staying with your program and a belated Happy Canada Day to you! :)
I can't say whether or not your shopping is becoming a substitute for food addiction but it seems like you're just feeling better about yourself ... perhaps more confident. However, how about asking someone who is close to you to help you monitor your spending just in case... You could also make a list of things you want/need and stick to buying the things on that list only.

Going off the shakes and back to food is going to be a challenge for sure. How does your Optifast center handle that transition? My center encourages folks to stay with the program, attending classes and all, for 2 years.

StarlightMintz
07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I'm feeling a lot better today. The plateau and cravings seem like minsicule worries to me at this point. I'm just going to keep Optifasting and remain positive. :) I mean, I'm down nearly 50 pounds... I shouldn't complain about that! If I can get to 180 or 175 by the end of August, I will be more than happy.
I'm happy you're feeling better today~ As Chicken Little liked to say, "Today is a new day!" :D :)
You are doing great with your weight loss! I am so envious of your 50 pound loss and I can't wait to get there myself!! :)

floralshorts
07-06-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm happy you're feeling better today~ As Chicken Little liked to say, "Today is a new day!" :D :)
You are doing great with your weight loss! I am so envious of your 50 pound loss and I can't wait to get there myself!! :)

You will get there. :)

Happyradio
07-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Floralshorts, keep up the good work. Remember that our bodies eventually adjust to our diets so weight loss slows down...sometimes to a crawl so slow it's difficult to keep motivated and focused. Right now your body is fighting you, releasing hunger hormones, so your frustration and food thoughts are very normal. Good luck. Enjoy Europe!

floralshorts
07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Floralshorts, keep up the good work. Remember that our bodies eventually adjust to our diets so weight loss slows down...sometimes to a crawl so slow it's difficult to keep motivated and focused. Right now your body is fighting you, releasing hunger hormones, so your frustration and food thoughts are very normal. Good luck. Enjoy Europe!

Thank you. :) I needed to hear this today... jumped on my scale this morning and I STILL have not lost a single thing since last Thursday which is very out of pattern for me. Just going to keep trucking on... it will all be worth it.

Fawks
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Fawks,
Good for you for staying with your program and a belated Happy Canada Day to you! :)
I can't say whether or not your shopping is becoming a substitute for food addiction but it seems like you're just feeling better about yourself ... perhaps more confident. However, how about asking someone who is close to you to help you monitor your spending just in case... You could also make a list of things you want/need and stick to buying the things on that list only.

Going off the shakes and back to food is going to be a challenge for sure. How does your Optifast center handle that transition? My center encourages folks to stay with the program, attending classes and all, for 2 years.

Our program has us slowly transition to food over 4 weeks, and then we're still doing weekly meetings until Mid October.. after that I have 6 more sessions I go to as an appointment (meaning not every week, just like a check up) and before I transition I need to make an appointment with my nutritionist for my one on one session to build a plan going forward. :D I can't wait to transition!!!!

I really feel like I kicked the food binging.. I had to in order to start on Optifast... but in stressful situations I tend to still over-eat or craving binging because it felt so good.. lately that has been getting better, but my shopping has also increased.. all for things I need... but still, I'm a worry wort lol. I will for sure be asking my SO to keep an eye on me. That's all I need is to trade in one addiction for another :S

StarlightMintz
07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Our program has us slowly transition to food over 4 weeks, and then we're still doing weekly meetings until Mid October.. after that I have 6 more sessions I go to as an appointment (meaning not every week, just like a check up) and before I transition I need to make an appointment with my nutritionist for my one on one session to build a plan going forward. :D I can't wait to transition!!!!

I really feel like I kicked the food binging.. I had to in order to start on Optifast... but in stressful situations I tend to still over-eat or craving binging because it felt so good.. lately that has been getting better, but my shopping has also increased.. all for things I need... but still, I'm a worry wort lol. I will for sure be asking my SO to keep an eye on me. That's all I need is to trade in one addiction for another :S

Thanks for sharing how transition works at your center. My center does things similarly but they really encourage folks to continue to come to classes/meeting for a full 2 years. :p :)

Great job kicking the binging... that's HUGE! I too tend to turn to food during stressful times but I am determined to find another outlet. My doctor wants me to make a private comfy get-away just for me in some corner or room in my house preferably far away from the kitchen. :D She suggested putting things there for me to do, books, laptop and such, and make it a sanctuary of sorts for when I feel stressed. I like the idea and I have an empty nest so I can use one of my kiddos rooms....

Fawks
07-08-2014, 10:17 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot:Starlight that sounds AWESOME! I should find a quiet corner and make myself an escape :D

Also.... OMG I'm so excited! Just got back from my meeting.. and I've officially hit the 50 lbs mark!!!! I can't even believe it! So many happy dances are being inserted here! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

StarlightMintz
07-09-2014, 10:10 AM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot:Starlight that sounds AWESOME! I should find a quiet corner and make myself an escape :D

Also.... OMG I'm so excited! Just got back from my meeting.. and I've officially hit the 50 lbs mark!!!! I can't even believe it! So many happy dances are being inserted here! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Minus 50 pounds!!
You are amazing! :congrat:

I'm working on my "escape" today. I'm glad you like the idea. :)

StarlightMintz
07-09-2014, 10:20 AM
My 2 week transition into full-fast is officially over and I'm down 11 pounds. :dancer: Today I started full fast and I couldn't be happier! :)

I had a visit with my weight loss doc yesterday and she put me on additional vitamins. I am already on Opti-Source but my thiamine (B1) and vitamin D are still low. :shrug:

itsachoice
07-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi-- it is great to read about success on Optifast! I started on Sunday and have been very hungry. Last night I was ravenous and grabbed two pieces of sliced ham from fridge. I am drinking tons of water and crystal light, and that helps some. I know the hunger will lessen with time, but these first days have really been a struggle.

StarlightMintz
07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi-- it is great to read about success on Optifast! I started on Sunday and have been very hungry. Last night I was ravenous and grabbed two pieces of sliced ham from fridge. I am drinking tons of water and crystal light, and that helps some. I know the hunger will lessen with time, but these first days have really been a struggle.
:welcome2:
Hi itsachoice :)
Everyone says the first few days are the hardest! Hang in there and I will too! :)

Here's a related thread that "nibog" started to track her own progress~ http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/294496-my-weight-loss-journey-optifast-100-lb-goal.html

itsachoice
07-09-2014, 03:10 PM
That is a great thread-- thank you so much for helping me find it.

Happyradio
07-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Welcome, itsachoice! I am hopeful your hunger will become more bearable for you soon. I am starting week 6 tomorrow and this past week was the first week that I didn't feel frustratingly hungry. Some of the people in my class had relief sooner than I did. So there is hope!!!

Fawks.....you rock!!

StarlightMintz
07-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi Happyradio :wave:
Good luck on week 6!

I am feeling really fortunate that I'm not having any problems with full fast and I'm actually enjoying the break from food! :dizzy: Now if I could just get away from having to cook and wash dishes! :p Oh well, such is life.

itsachoice
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I lost 4.6 pounds this week (it was really only 4 days). I'm feeling less hungry today, so I guess I must be getting into ketosis. I hope I get to the point of SL-- enjoying a break from food!

I never noticed how MANY commercials for food there are until now. And our nightly news has a special on grilling out. I decided I can get some steps in and get out of the room every time one of those food things come on!

StarlightMintz
07-11-2014, 08:19 PM
itsachoice, way to go on losing 4.6 in 4 days! :)

I know I sound crazy when I say I'm enjoying the break from food but I'm cooking for 2 picky men, sometimes 3, and before Optifast it was hard to control my own diet with all that. Now I just have my shakes and I'm done. :)

Oh and yeah, those food commercials are relentless! Yummy looking food and recipes on Facebook is another thing best avoided!

Happyradio
07-12-2014, 06:25 PM
I am not finding the day to day of being around food difficult like when my husband and kids eat. However, when I go to a child's birthday with cake and snacks that I would have typically feasted on, I am finding that hard. Eating out has been sort of challenging too. Luckily, I've only had to go when we had company visiting. I just sit there with my diet soda.

countmein
07-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Hi All,

I just joined this forum. I wanted to share my weight loss story on Optifast 800 which I just finished.
It'seems ironic that I had to modify the diet and still lost weight. Not by much, but I did feel shortchanged.
Ok, I was having 5 shakes a day for 9 weeks ( attempted 12 weeks, but had to cut it short due to traveling).
My weight loss was rapid and I was never hungry. I was strong willed and resisted any urge to cheat. 5 lbs per week was my weight loss average. At the end of 9 weeks I was down 50 lbs. I was so impressed with my results I would rave to others about the diet. Then I transitioned dropping one shake per week. NOW, I am at my dilemna!! After going back to food I think the weight is trying to creep back. My diet is perfectly healthy, I even eat organic. I try to walk at least 4 times per week as I was doing while on the shakes. My problem is...finding the best way to maintain what I've lost so far. I also want to lose more ( another 50 lbs) to reach my goal. Would it be safe to start the diet again or is it too soon? Someone please help. I'm desperate to find the right formula to succeed..I don't want to reverse what I've done.

StarlightMintz
07-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi All,

I just joined this forum. I wanted to share my weight loss story on Optifast 800 which I just finished.
It'seems ironic that I had to modify the diet and still lost weight. Not by much, but I did feel shortchanged.
Ok, I was having 5 shakes a day for 9 weeks ( attempted 12 weeks, but had to cut it short due to traveling).
My weight loss was rapid and I was never hungry. I was strong willed and resisted any urge to cheat. 5 lbs per week was my weight loss average. At the end of 9 weeks I was down 50 lbs. I was so impressed with my results I would rave to others about the diet. Then I transitioned dropping one shake per week. NOW, I am at my dilemna!! After going back to food I think the weight is trying to creep back. My diet is perfectly healthy, I even eat organic. I try to walk at least 4 times per week as I was doing while on the shakes. My problem is...finding the best way to maintain what I've lost so far. I also want to lose more ( another 50 lbs) to reach my goal. Would it be safe to start the diet again or is it too soon? Someone please help. I'm desperate to find the right formula to succeed..I don't want to reverse what I've done.

Hi there, countmain. :)
I will let other, more experienced Optifasters answer your questions but I wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss so far ... 50 pounds is a great loss!!

Question for you... Were you/are you in a medically supervised program?

Happyradio
07-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Countmain, was your diet supervised by medical staff? My first reaction is consult them if the diet was supervised. If not, perhaps visit a dietician and get some professional insight. I would offer a more direct answer to your question but I'm no pro. Good luck. You've done great so far.

StarlightMintz
07-16-2014, 04:27 PM
:wave:
Checkin' in with the Optifasters...

How's everyone doing? :)

I'm down 15 and very thankful the program is going well for me. :)

This weekend I have to attend several big mealtime gatherings (wedding events) but I'll have my shakes and water and plod right on through. :flow2:

DevlinGeorgia
07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
StarlightMinz~ Your start weight and height are exactly like mine! Nice to see you are doing it! I don't start Optifast until 7/29 but browse through threads for inspiration and information. Getting excited and looking forward to see your continued success as well~ Power on!

Happyradio
07-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Checking in during week 7...doing well. Now that I've got the diet itself down pat, I've started focusing on my movement. The class I am taking for this diet recommends doing 10,000 steps a day for weight loss. Bought a pedometer and am trying to fit it in. It isn't easy but will hopefully pay off. Keep up the good work everyone!

StarlightMintz
07-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Howdy y'all! :wave:

Happyradio, Good for you for jumping in there with the recommended exercise. :high: What type/kind of pedometer did you get? I've been thinking of getting one myself. Oh, and grats on your 7th week! :)

DevilinGeorgia, 10 days till you start! You're getting there! Very cool that our stats are similar too. :)

I'm still out of town for a weekend food fest (wedding) and have managed to stay full fast despite yummy looking piles of free food. :D

I've been thinking a lot about what my weight mgmt doc said the other day. It's something I already knew but it speaks to me now like it never has before. She said obesity is a chronic disease and being a chronic disease it requires constant treatment/management.... for life.

Happyradio
07-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Starlight. It's an Omron pedometer. Nothing fancy but it does the trick. Model HJ-321. I find it incredibly motivating:). Keep up the good work!

StarlightMintz
07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Starlight. It's an Omron pedometer. Nothing fancy but it does the trick. Model HJ-321. I find it incredibly motivating:). Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the info, Happyradio. That's just what I was looking for!

floralshorts
07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm down to 192 pounds from 245.8. I am proud of myself, but this past weekend I went on a date and allowed myself a Diet Coke & vodka. It didn't make me gain weight but I'm fairly certain it knocked me out of ketosis. Ah, well. Only 13 pounds to go.

Edit: I went to my weekly tonight and expressed my frustrations to my dietician. We both agreed to switch over to Optifast 800, at least until I go on vacation in August. It felt so amazing to eat something solid today (peanut butter & chocolate bar). I already feel happier...

njdx1205
07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi All,

You should find a fitness club in your area that offer RMR test called (Bodygem test) It tells you how may calories Your body burns now after the weightloss, that way you will no how many calories to eat each day to maintain your weightloss, instead of guessing, it usually cost 50-100 dollars. you can gooogle bodygem to get more info.

njdx1205
07-22-2014, 11:12 PM
hi all

I'll be spending some time here with all of you this year. i'm starting Optifast in the next few days,, this will be my second time. The first time was great i lost 17 lbs in a month,, but life got in the way and i stopped. I can't wait to start, because this the only diet that i have seen real results from....:carrot::carrot:

Goddess In Training
07-23-2014, 11:33 AM
It's been a while since I've checked in, and everyone is doing so great! Congrats!!

I had a week off program where I maintained, but didn't lose. Aaannnnndd.... it frustrated me enough that I really, really want to stay on programme from now on. Not worth stopping! hahaha... (I say this before I go for a week on vacation with the family. Geeze!)

A previous poster was asking about the cost of the programme, and there were some great, detailed answers. Just in the tiny chance that the poster is in Canada (perhaps not all provinces).. the cost of the programme it's self, doctor appointments, blood work, EKG, classes, etc. is all covered under your health care - so, free. You DO pay for the cost of the food right now (however, many of the hospitals are attempting to advocate to get this changed, as it technically falls under a 'prescription' - ie. we can't get it except through a dr.... however, it is classified as 'food' so it's difficult.) I believe it's about $1400 for the cost of food for 12 weeks... so about $116 a week - so $4.14 per meal (we do the Optifast 900 programme up here, so it's 4 shakes a day)

Apparently SOME employee heath care plans may cover the cost of the food... people have to check individually.

Hope that may help a bit for folks wondering the cost in Canada.

bollywoodprincess
07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I am 30 y.o. female who recently started optifast 800 through Kaiser Weight Management Program. I am in the week 2 of my meal replacement. The first week, I got on my scale, but it did not show much of weight loss. But, when I went to the weekly weight in, I lost 6.4 lbs. I was surprised.

I got back home, and checked my scale again. The numbers differed vastlyÖ my scale still shows no weight loss.. maybe 1 lb actually...

I don't feel like I am losing any weight. I am making an effort to work out everyday. I have been sticking to 4 shakes, 1 bar, and 1 soup. Also, drinking at least one gallon of water a day. No cheating whatsoever.

I feel like eating sometimes, but constantly have to remind my self, I can't.

I know it is too early, but usually, when I diet, even after three days, I see weight loss, this time around, I am still not feeling the weight loss, and its been 11 daysÖ

Why is it not working>?

StarlightMintz
07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi floralshorts 13 pounds to go!! woohoooooooo! you've got this! :carrot:

Hi Goddess In Training I'm sorry you had that week of not losing. I seriously dread the time that I don't see the scales move and I know it's gonna happen at some point. :rolleyes: Good for you for getting back at it though! I'm sure the time away with family will have its challenges so keep your long term goal in focus and Good Luck! :)

njdx1205, Welcome back to the program, and keep us posted on how your first week is going! :) Oh, and thanks for the info about the Bodygem test.

Hi bollywoodprincess, Welcome to this thread. I understand your frustration but perhaps your scales at home are like mine and have a mind of their own? :p I trust the scales at my Optifast center ... they have to be tried and true. However, if you truly aren't losing just stick with the program and you will. Also, don't overdo the exercise for the first 4-5 weeks while your body adjusts... Good Luck! :)

bollywoodprincess
07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Thank you starlighmintz! I keep telling myself the weight gain was not over a course of weeks, so it won't be gone in few weeks either… but it is sooo hard!!!

I hope by next week, I start feeling like I am losing weight. :)

Goddess In Training
07-23-2014, 04:25 PM
@BollywoodPrincess Also too, things to consider

- time of day has to be consistent on each scale you use. ie. if you weighed yourself first thing in the AM one day, and then in the evening, the next, you're not going to show a loss.

- apparently, as per my clinic, one particular week, I only lost 3 lbs on the scale.... but I also GAINED 3lbs of muscle that week... so in fact, I lost 6lbs of fat, and gained back 3 in muscle. (I did a lot of yard work labouring that week :D )

- are they doing waist measurements? Those are great to see progress too

You'll get there!! And welcome :)

Fawks
07-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I am 30 y.o. female who recently started optifast 800 through Kaiser Weight Management Program. I am in the week 2 of my meal replacement. The first week, I got on my scale, but it did not show much of weight loss. But, when I went to the weekly weight in, I lost 6.4 lbs. I was surprised.

I got back home, and checked my scale again. The numbers differed vastlyÖ my scale still shows no weight loss.. maybe 1 lb actually...

I don't feel like I am losing any weight. I am making an effort to work out everyday. I have been sticking to 4 shakes, 1 bar, and 1 soup. Also, drinking at least one gallon of water a day. No cheating whatsoever.

I feel like eating sometimes, but constantly have to remind my self, I can't.

I know it is too early, but usually, when I diet, even after three days, I see weight loss, this time around, I am still not feeling the weight loss, and its been 11 daysÖ

Why is it not working>?

Hey!!! Not sure if this helps or not (but I hope it does)... for me it took a few weeks before I saw any progress at all. The scale just didn't want to go anywhere, I was so frustrated.. no cheating.. couldn't figure out what was wrong.. but then I noticed that I was getting more "jiggly".. and my legs that once were almost rock hard with the amount of fat shoved into them started to turn to jello... once I softened up I started seeing the scale drop about 5 lbs every week...

Sometimes it takes our bodies awhile to figure out what's up and start to eat the fat like it's supposed to do :P I've no doubt you'll be seeing the scale drop in no time.

Also it seems like your home scale is off from the clinic's scale. Go by the clinic's numbers... also you can calculate how different the clinic scale is and your scale, and know that whatever you scale is.. your actual weight is (INSERT NUMBER HERE)... So maybe your scale says you lost 1 lbs... but you know it's 4 lbs heavier than the clinic scale... so really you lost those 4 lbs... ya know what I mean???

ANYHOO Hang in there and You got this! It'll get easier I promise!

Fawks
07-23-2014, 05:35 PM
ZOMG I can not even put into words how excited I am right now. Last night was my weigh in.... and I lost 3 lbs... which brings me to 298!!! I'm out of the 300's baby!!!!! OK so I'm BARELY out of it... but the number totally starts with a 2 now and that is something I haven't seen in........ 5 years maybe... maybe more?? I have lost track. I gave up on ever seeing a 2 at the start again.

Also tonight is my first night of integrating back to food!!!! I've put in my time, and I can finally eat food again (on my program there was NO Food... just 4 shakes a day for 12 weeks)... Tonight I get a cup of veggies and 3 meat/meat alt options... to say I'm excited would be an understatement LOL

Once I eat I'll be posted my update/pics/meal/thoughts on my blog WOOT

www.TheFawker.com <3

Happyradio
07-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Fawks, that is amazing! Congratulations!

Fawks
07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks HappyRadio! :D

StarlightMintz
07-24-2014, 11:01 AM
That's a major milestone, Fawks! Congratulations! :cp::cp::cp:

...and I enjoy your blog! :)

Fawks
07-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Awww super hugs Starlight :D Blogging has really helped get me out of my head and start making progress. *Hugs Blog* hehehe

Goddess In Training
07-24-2014, 04:11 PM
@Fawks - CONGRATS!!!! Not only are you out of the 3's... but your an eyelash away from being down 60 freaking lbs! Nice work.

Fawks
07-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Hoping to break 60 lbs this week!!! Though since I'm transitioning back to food they said to expect no loss or a slight gain... so fingers crossed eh? hehehe

How have you been??? 32 lbs is freaking AWESOME!!!! Congrats to you :D

StarlightMintz
07-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Fawks, I hope your transition to food goes really well. Do keep us posted. We're watching over you... ;)

Goddess In Training
07-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Fawkes - after reading your (awesome) blog, I realize we are at the same clinic :)

floralshorts
07-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Weighed in at 191 this morning after a week of no loss... yay! :) Optifast 800 has been a lot more tolerable for me than Optifast 70. I love the bars so, so much.

Surprisingly, I think the Optifast 70 shakes taste better than the Optifast 800 shakes. I figured it would be the opposite!

I did a little research tonight and discovered that the Atkins Advantage shakes and bars have nearly identical nutritional values to Optifast 800 - the only difference being most Atkins Advantage products have 9 grams of fat compared to 3 grams in Optifast 800, and the Atkins Advantage products have less carbs than Optifast 800. In order to save some cash, I might substitute 1 or 2 Optifast products a day with an Atkins Advantage shake or bar.

The Atkins Advantage shakes/bars seem to have less potassium than Optifast 800, so I picked up some potassium tablets at the store to make up for that.

I guess I'll try this for a week or so and see if I keep losing...

StarlightMintz
07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Foralshorts,
You have done so well! Way to go!! :high:
I imagine using some Atkins Advantage will work out just fine for ya. After all, it's calories in vs calories out no matter how you slice it. Good idea to keep an eye on nutrition... I shudder to think of all the diets I've been on that didn't include enough protein and what that's done to my poor old bod. :p
Keep on truckin' and let us know how it goes! :)

nibog
07-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Just finished week 16....
Have gone from a size 20 in jeans and a 2x in shirts to a loose size 16 / snug size 14 in jeans and an XL / L in shirts!
Total lbs lost 53.2lbs.
Total inches lost 26.25".

Love Optifast!!! Weeks 1-11 were Full fast, 12-16 and going forward are Modified Fast

floralshorts
07-28-2014, 05:27 PM
I hit 189.8 this morning... 10 more pounds to go and I will hit my first goal of no longer being "obese". :) Hoping to achieve this before the end of August.

DevlinGeorgia
07-29-2014, 02:12 AM
OMG tomorrow is the first class/meeting! I can't wait! Especially after reading the recent posts! You guys are doing FABULOUS! Love the support you have for each other as well! I will be "officially" starting tomorrow, but heard that you don't start the product till the 2nd week. So.....
I was wondering if you notice a slower weight loss if you ate the bars throughout the week apposed to just sticking with liquids? Just curious~ plus I might wait to add the bars. I figured I'll eventually start getting tired of just shakes and this way I'll have something to look forwards too!

Oh and do you use the Powder or the Ready made shakes?

Thank you!!! :)

Happyradio
07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
How exciting, DevlinGeorgia!
My program through Mayo Clinic required us to only use liquids (powder shakes or ready to drinks) for the first two weeks. Then we were permitted to have up to two bars and two soups each day. I have no idea if having bars from the beginning will affect your weight loss. I'd think cutting down to such a low calorie intake would cause rapid weight loss initially regardless of the structure of the food item. However, I am not a dietician. Good luck! We're here if you need us.

StarlightMintz
07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
DevilinGeorgia,

My program allows only one bar and/or one soup a day starting from day one. The soup has a good bit of sodium and that's why it's restricted, and the bar doesn't have quite the same nutritional value as the shake and is artificially sweetened. I prefer the shakes over the bars and soups anyway.
From what I've gathered, most like the Optifast 800 shake better than the ready to drink product, and the vanilla is more popular than the chocolate.

Good luck! I hope you find full fast as easy as I have!!

I met my first mini goal today ... 20 pounds down! woot!!

njdx1205
07-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Congrats to everyone you guys are doing so good:hug:.

So for me day 1 is over :D and today starts day 2. Day 1 went fine, I'm so excited:carrot:

StarlightMintz
07-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Congrats to everyone you guys are doing so good:hug:.

So for me day 1 is over :D and today starts day 2. Day 1 went fine, I'm so excited:carrot:
Fantastic! Keep going! The first few days can be a bit of an adjustment but then it gets easier. :)

DevlinGeorgia
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
HappyRadio & StarlightMintz Thanks for the info! Last nights meeting was both exciting and terrifying! I was freaking out about the order! :dizzy: So, I ordered 14 bars and 28 skates. !/2 of the shakes are the ready made ones. Only because my husband decided we were going "camping"! I wasn't sure about the location and water use. Better safe than sorry~
And...I was like WTF! I might kill you in your sleep~ It's the first week of using all product!!! Ughhhh men!
So, we do get to have up to 2 bars and 1 soup a day for the first 2 weeks. But I didn't order any soup. I figured I would give myself something to try later on. I did order bars, but only because of the camping trip. Wanted it to be easy and less of a temptation to eat off program!! Ok, now I do the "Homework" and wait (again)!!
njdx1205 Great start! I'm excited for you and keep posting! All of you are an inspiration and great motivators!! talk to you next week!
Whoot woo :twirly:

njdx1205
07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Today has been a pretty rough day. I went grocery shopping and that made me instantly hungry, i could smell the fruit so strong:dizzy:. Then i came home and cooked a pan lasagna :p, OMG! Talking about will power! Thank goodness i want to be skinny again more than i want to eat

@devlingeorgia good luck ! Did you start shakes yesterday or did you just order them?

njdx1205
07-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Well I got through yesterday. I ended up getting a massive headache late last night but I got through it and fail asleep. Today is going a lot better no headache I don't feel as grouchy or hungry today. My energy is low but it is better than yesterday:^:. Day 3 is almost over :cheer:

Happyradio
07-31-2014, 07:30 PM
:carrot:I heard something funny today...a new word.

Hangry - when you're so hungry you're angry.

DevlinGeorgia
08-01-2014, 12:11 AM
njdx1205 BRAVO for avoiding the lasagna! :cheer3: I heard you get headaches in the beginning. Are you able to get in all the water ??
As for me, I just placed an order and start after the Tuesday meeting...Wednesday! Oh my!! I know I'm going to be Hangry!! hahahaha Yup that word does make you laugh! ~ funny not funny kind of way ~

StarlightMintz
08-01-2014, 01:07 PM
It's good to see everyone, both newbies and pros, sticking to plan and being successful. :)

We can do this!... One day at a time! :high::cheer2::high:

njdx1205
08-01-2014, 02:31 PM
@devlingeorgia, thanks

@starlightmintz yes we can!

Today is day 4 and i have a vague headache. But i must say that over all i feel much better today. Today i started adding a scoop of that powdered fiber to each shake, because the shakes do not have any fiber in them, I don't want that to become a problem:tape:

Tomorrow will be my first social event while on the program:cofdate:. I will be having a few family members over tomorrow for lunch, i'm not looking forward to it I wanted to cancel but I know I cannot hide from family events this entire time, :i know I'll be just fine.