Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #1  
RedDay

S/C/G: 305 / ticker / 185

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Scared

I have always struggled with my weight and have managed to lose the weight in the past, without any real crazy diet plan. However, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore!
Recently I tipped the scale at 305 pounds and have decided that it is time to stop making excuses and try to change my lifestyle. However, I never imagined how scary it could be to make this leap. On Tuesday, I went to Midwest Weight Control for a free consultation (I wasn't ready to make the commitment, I was just checking it out) and ended up signing up for the program. The entire time I was sitting in that office signing up for the program I was TERRIFIED and NERVOUS and SAD!
I want my weight loss more than anything I've wanted in a long time but I want to be able to eat like everyone else does! I'm scared that I'll lose weight and end up gaining it all back or that I just won't be able to stick with it at all. I'm hesitant to talk about my weight loss goals because I'm embarrassed that I have even let myself get to this point. I guess my point is that I just don't want to fail at this and I feel like I've lost control of my life.
UGH! I had no idea I had so many emotions tied to losing weight!
Sorry, this turned into a pity party and thanks for letting me have it! Time to go exercise!
redday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I think 90% of this journey is mental. You can do this! Just take it one day at a time. Hugs and good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #3  

Hi,

The decision to change is scary so please know you are not alone in this feeling.

I hope this weight center is a good fit for you and that little by little your goals will be met.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #4  

Welcome Redday! Joining 3FC was one of the best things you could do! The support and helpful information on this site is priceless, I couldn't have done all I have without it.

You have decided to lose weight and that's where you are at. Don't worry about maintaining or gaining it back or even sticking to your plan. Take it one day at a time, one pound at a time. We are here for you.

There are lots of emotions, but in my experience this time around I have had far more happy ones than sad ones. I wish the same for you!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #5  
RedDay

Thank you, ladies! Your advise and kind word mean the world to me!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/220/170

Hey there,

I am embarking on my 38th birthday in March and have fought weight my entire life. I have decided 12 days ago that it was time to make a change. My father passed away from Lymphoma 15 years ago and my Mom passed away 3.5 years ago. She was extremely overweight and I believe that many of her health problems were due to her weight. Considering I lost my parents so early, I think of all the things that they missed out on in my life as well as my kids lives. I am determined to lose weight and make a life style change. I want to see my children and my children's children grow. My DD is 10 and my DS is 6. They are both thin and I fear that one day they will one day fall into the overweight nightmare that I fell into when I was young.

I started my life change 12 days ago and I lost 10 pounds. I am happy that I lost so much so fast, but am so afraid that the next weight will not fall off as easily and I'll begin to grow frustrated. I'm looking for support and to give support and hope we can all help one another to a healthier lifestyle!
Shasha114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

One thing you said, really hit home with me. You just want to eat like everyone else.

A year ago in August, I was so close to my goal with Weight Watchers, but I was having those same thoughts. That I just wanted to be normal, like everyone else. I wanted to throw in the towel and call it a day!

I was tired of tracking my food, and working out, and so on and so forth.

So, I got home from work and the grocery store, where I made good shopping choices and went to the garden to have a pity party.

Pulling weeds is a stress reliever for me, so, while I'm out there on my hands and knees, slinging weeds and having a pity party, I finally came to the realization, that, if I want to lose the weight and keep it off, I "CANNOT" be like everyone else.

Part of this realization came from thinking about all of the people I had seen in the grocery store before I got home. I live in a very small community and on this particular day, I knew most of the folks I saw at the store.

And after thinking about the whole concept of "normal", and seeing the lady younger than me, wearing support hose, with her black toes peeking out, and the diabetic guy that is my NRD rep, who had a cart full of junk. I realized, that "normal" is a state of mind, of what is in my best interest. Not some strange notion, or perception, that I can be like everyone else.

In all reality, why in the world would any of us want to be like everyone else? That is boring. Forge a new path, do something different! Be unique!

I actually got to goal and now run about 3 pounds under and I strength train. I love being strong. Plus it helps me with my job working for a small and large animal veterinarian. Delivering new calves is a workout.

And as a Mom to a kid who is a high school foot ball coach, and a kid who is State Trooper and Swat Sniper, I can hang with the guys!

At the same time, I can dress up, fix the hair, slide into a cute dress and heels and look hot! I can also grab my comfy clothes and hang with my grand daughters and play.

Just for the record, I am 53 years old, and I am in the best shape of my life!

Don't be afraid! Have patience, stick with it, and above all, do it because you are worth it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redday View Post
I want my weight loss more than anything I've wanted in a long time but I want to be able to eat like everyone else does!
Do you think "everyone else" eats as much as you have been eating these past few years? I highly doubt it. While variations in metabolism do exist, thin people generally eat less -- often much less -- than morbidly obese people. They may let loose on Friday night with a plateful of nachos and two Margaritas, but the next day (at home, when you don't see them) they'll eat half of what they normally do. I've observed this again and again.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you'll have to learn to eat like a thinner person, which simply means eating more moderately. It may not come naturally to you -- it certainly doesn't to me -- but it can be learned. I've been maintaining for over a year and still overeat regularly. The difference is that I now compensate for it by scaling back for the next couple of days. That, plus regular exercise, makes the whole thing surprisingly sustainable.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-17-2013 at 03:51 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #9  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

I can empathize with all your feelings OP! I think to set yourself up for success, taking the wise advice of a previous poster and taking it one day, one pound at a time would be best -- I know when I think about how much I have to lose, how much I have to think about what goes into my mouth, how many months/years it may take to hit my goal I could seriously give up and dive right into a whole pizza LOL

As far as wanting to eat like everyone else, I empathize there too. I think you mean that you want to be the type of person who doesn't have to think about every meal or morsel they put in their mouth, someone who doesn't have 'issues' with food, or with knowing when they're satisfied, or with emotional eating or eating too much etc (yes those people do exist!).

I think the more you make moderate eating or eating on plan (whatever you want to call it) a lifestyle, a habit, the more you do it day after day after day after day it does become easier to feel like you can 'be like other people' in that regard.

Additionally, I think one can eat whatever they want and how much they want -- they just can't eat like that all the time. For example, I practice intermittent fasting. Some days I intentionally abstain from eating until 4-5pm so I can have a meal where I eat whatever I want and (relatively) how much I want. However, if I did that at every meal, I'd stay obese! I have a set calorie average I like to keep for my weight loss (say, 1600 calories per day) so some days I "save" all my calories for the evening, or I will fast for 24 hours so I can attend an event where I won't have to give a care at all to what I eat or drink. At the end of the day or week I have still averaged 1600 calories per day, just divided up differently. That allows me to feel like one of those people who can eat what they want which helps me mentally. With weight loss, we have to plan our calories like other people plan their finances and arrange to "spend" our calories accordingly.

Anway, to reiterate, take it one step at a time. One pound (or small, attainable goals like 5lbs) at a time. CELEBRATE your successes and never ever feel like a failure no matter how little you lose.

Love yourself along the way. Just because you are overweight or obese does not mean you deserve anything less than kindness and love from others and from yourself.
35X35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU KNOW....You are divinely made and there's nothing you can't do. Your potential is limitless. You are only limited by your mind. You can and WILL do this...Besides, you've got all of us 3FC chicks cheering you on!

free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #11  
RedDay

I can't possibly be anymore thankful for the words of encouragement from all of you ladies!
I know that I can do this because I just had my first day at the gym and I made it past my goal for the day! I'm committed and I'm lucky to have ALL of you committed ladies to help guide me!

Last edited by redday; 02-17-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #12  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

As others have said, they way everyone else eats is very different from the way we eat. Within 3 years, I gained almost 30 pounds all because I thought I could keep up with my 6'0 tall husband who works out all day well I sat at a desk and did nothing. Clearly, I was wrong.

People eat different when out with friends. That's when they will eat the junk. However, at home, most people who have grown up with good habits tend to eat very very different. I thought it was normal for college students to eat junk all day long. However, once I started to try and lose weight, I paid attention to what all the students in my class were snacking on. The odd one would have a bag of chips but 90% were eating carrots, an apple, celery, salads. I would have never thought to bring carrots as a snack to class!

There is tons of support here from people going through the exact same thing! I hope to see you around!!!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #13  
Midnight Snack Deflector

S/C/G: 122/116.6/110

Height: 5'4"

This is sort of a very silly advice, aside from all the actual science-based calorie and exercise tips...but, if you're just starting out, I feel like this is such an exciting time for you. Yet, here you are, terrified.

So here's my silly advice. Do you like to write in journals? Do you like...pretty stationary, pens, etc? I mean, what's better than writing in a brand new journal while you sip on a cup of tea? Doesn't that sound relaxing? I'd really suggest getting a diary and treating this like a fun project. Color code your journals, use stickers, I am starting to sound like a middle schooler here, but whatever you need to do to remove fear and be excited - do it! I feel like the weight loss journey is one of the very few things in anyone's life that can be 100% about YOU and your own body, and that gives me a lot of enjoyment and I kind of indulge in it. Break out that journal that you still haven't used because you thought it's too pretty to use! USE IT NOW

Last edited by Breeandbutton; 02-18-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Breeandbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 11"

You can absolutely do this - all of us have been there, that rock bottom moment when we think "OMG, how did it get this bad?" That is moment when change can really start to happen. I know it's painful, and embarrassing, and hurtful, but the good news is you are at a place where you are really motivated to make a change.

I'll say it again: you can absolutely do this. You are a rock star, and reaching out for help, whether it's at the weight center or here or both, is so important and you should be very proud you did it!
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote