Ideal Protein Diet - IP Weekend Chat Sat/Sun Feb 16-17, 2013

lisa32989
02-16-2013, 05:52 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

Cheekyskeeter
02-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Happy weekend everyone! Monday is a holiday here so I'm looking forward to a long weekend.

star19600
02-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Good morning! All week I've been battling a cold, so I've been going to sleep early. And now today when I can sleep in I'm up early too!

Have a great weekend!

maezy1
02-16-2013, 08:24 AM
NINJANURSE your response from yesterday's daily chat - you know how I feel about some of the replies to people who have struggled enough or are too new that have fallen off plan or cheated. Some of the replies from people who have never cheated or struggled enough to cheat do come across as condescending and smug. It's a turn off. Maybe the person(s) writing did not mean to come across that way, but we all know tone is not reflected on the internet. We are all the same in that we got the way we are (were) and now here for the same basic reason. To lose weight and get healthy. To get support from people who know what it's like and not lectures. (Just saw the Price of Cheating thread bumped again.) How many people come on here stay OP and just leave or don't post?? (I know of one person, they didn't leave because they cheated.) I know if I were TRULY struggling with what to do on my trip (instead of trying to figure it out rationally in my head) and all I got was the we are 100% and the price of cheating thrown in my face, I'd be afraid to post or leave too.

Well Said!!!! Ninja we just took another step toward sista hood!!! Love, love love, the response!
Im Irish, I take klonepan when I fly too, even for my flights to Ct./Mass.

Excited for my WI on Sunday to see how much closer I have moved to that 1!!! Nervous too since I will be eating out for lunch, dinner and breakfast tomorrow. Going to meet several ipeeps in person so there should be a TON of support. Think we will really motivate each other as well. Not worried that there will be non IP food! hahaha
Have a wonderful weekend all!!!!

MonicaKolesnik
02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Mazey1 you are going to be at ONEderland soon!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lovely day planned with my husband, what is more romantic then a Die Hard movie and Brazilian steakhouse :p I said we booked it like we were senior citizens as we bought movie tickets for 12:30 in the afternoon and have reservations for dinner at 4:00. But I hate the crowds and that way we get the fun day but so much less hassle. Hope everyone is going to have a fun long weekend. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

lisa32989
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I have a lovely day planned with my husband, what is more romantic then a Die Hard movie and Brazilian steakhouse :p I said we booked it like we were senior citizens as we bought movie tickets for 12:30 in the afternoon and have reservations for dinner at 4:00. But I hate the crowds and that way we get the fun day but so much less hassle. Hope everyone is going to have a fun long weekend.
You left time for the true romance later! ;)

Congrats again on Onderland. You deserve that and so much more!
:congrat:

MonicaKolesnik
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
You left time for the true romance later! ;)

Congrats again on Onderland. You deserve that and so much more!
:congrat:

Lisa we all deserve to be healthy happy and as you said pain free and able to live our life as we want :hug: We are all going to do this together. :grouphug:
Ugg..I am sappy today, must be the romance in the air. I am usually much more sarcastic and funny in real life but I can not seem to translate that to the written word (not like IP43 can that's for sure, she has me lol alot)

lisa32989
02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I wasn't around for a lot of the conversation yesterday. I saw it on my phone but it isn't the best format to formulate a well-thought-out response.

My reasons for 100% are completely selfish and have to do with my health and well being. Mostly because I am sick and tired of literally being sick, tired and in pain. There is little room for deviation when the alternative is so dire. If you haven't experienced morbid obesity, skip this post. It probably doesn't pertain to you.

I started IP completely demoralized. I lurked on the 100% thread for my first month on IP, not feeling like I could truly join in until I proved to myself that I could actually stick to this plan for at least 30 days.

Here is my story:

Ten years ago, I was very successful on Atkins. In 1.5 years I lost 100 lbs, going from 275 to 175. After the success, I started dating again, after a messy divorce and a 5 year hiatus from romantic relationships (talk about hurt!)

Granted, it is hard to be on a severely carb-restricted diet and date, which means lots of restaurants and drinks (at least it did for me), so after a while of maintaining while trying to remain on the plan, I made the decision to "maintain for a while" before losing the last 25-30 lbs.

Ten years later, here I am on IP, with a starting weight of 260.
As much success as had on Atkins, I've NEVER felt as successful as I have on IP. Atkins is pretty forgiving of small transgressions and it is MUCH higher fat (actually, if you read about the higher fat content of it and plans such as Paleo/Primal, you'll find the right fats are actually very healthy!)

It took me 8 months to "wrap my head around" IP before I started, mostly because of the high content of processed food and because of my belief (with research to back it up) that soy is not good for us. I chose to start the plan, knowing the use of the highly processed foods would be temporary...a means to an end.

Well, after 5 months OP, my thyroid became sluggish (one of the side effects in the human body from soy and gluten) so I quit soy. But not IP! I had to make adjustments and find some appropriate alternatives, which sometimes include some real food choices, rather than packets, but I make sure the choices are equivalents (in protein, carb, fat)

After SO.MUCH.SUCCESS in the past with Atkins, I never got to goal, nor did I learn to maintain. I was determined that if I were to embark on the IP plan, I would NOT repeat the past (definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results). I was determined that I'd do what I was told TO GOAL, despite the obstacles, and then follow a maintenance plan.

This was (and still is) so incredibly important to me due to the morbid obesity with which I was living. At 49 years old I was having problems moving. I had difficulty with normal daily tasks and anything even slightly more strenuous caused me back pain for days (it still does...for one day...but I'm working on reversing that, too.)

This is more than cosmetic for me. It is about more than resulting wrinkles and loose skin (no I don't want them but if I get them, it's better than the alternative - living in pain). It is about getting my quality of life back.

That's why I'm 100% and need to spend my time with others who are too! That's why I can't deal with cheats and excuses. Because I can't cheat. I can't allow that notion in my head. I need my health and wellness and vitality WAYYY more than I need a bite of something special, a taste of a fantastic libation, or whatever it is....whether it is a once per year occurrence or a weekly happy hour with co-workers.

Do I know specific plans need to be made for trips away from home? Absolutely! I have done it. But I also know sticking as close as possible to the plan was essential for me. Because my health and well-being is the whole reason I'm on IP. I'm a little over half-way to goal. But goal weight is just the beginning of learning to maintain a healthy lifestyle with less pain and more ease of movement. There are so many things I want to DO but the extreme obesity was holding me back due to chronic pain. No bite is worth giving up the opportunity to be pain-free for me.

I gotta stick with the people who are with me because they will help me succeed. Cheats for me are like termites in a house. You never have just one. And an infestation is what got me back to 260 and in incredible pain.

No one else is living my life. But I know there are others with similar issues. For me it is dire. No option. Freedom or misery. One bite could lead me back to misery. THAT is why I have to be so adamant.

maezy1
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Monica sounds like a wonderful day! My hubby and I are the same way - early movies! Enjoy!!!

ragdoll74
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Excited for my WI on Sunday to see how much closer I have moved to that 1!!! Nervous too since I will be eating out for lunch, dinner and breakfast tomorrow. Going to meet several ipeeps in person so there should be a TON of support. Think we will really motivate each other as well. Not worried that there will be non IP food! hahaha
Have a wonderful weekend all!!!!

Good luck at WI tomorrow. So close to Onederland!!!

I have a lovely day planned with my husband, what is more romantic then a Die Hard movie and Brazilian steakhouse :p I said we booked it like we were senior citizens as we bought movie tickets for 12:30 in the afternoon and have reservations for dinner at 4:00. But I hate the crowds and that way we get the fun day but so much less hassle. Hope everyone is going to have a fun long weekend. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Sounds like a fun day!!

SylviesGirl
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I gotta stick with the people who are with me because they will help me succeed. Cheats for me are like termites in a house. You never have just one. And an infestation is what got me back to 260 and in incredible pain.

No one else is living my life. But I know there are others with similar issues. For me it is dire. No option. Freedom or misery. One bite could lead me back to misery. THAT is why I have to be so adamant.

Lisa -- I thank you so much for sharing what you did in today's post. I can almost completely relate. I need to be 100%, too, for the reasons you stated. I read most of yesterday's discussion through the hand over my eyes, because, like you, I really cannot allow the notion to cheat to fester in my head. Another reason I need to be 100% is that I am an extreme "all or nothing" person. If I am going to be successful on this program and in a new lifestyle free of pain, I need to work with my personality as I know it to be. All or nothing. All on program for me.

That said, I am on Day 4 and remain very, very humble in this process. Unlike most others, I have never successfully lost much weight. (First, I discovered hypothyroidism, then years later, Cushings Disease.) I will deal with maintenance when I get there, but for right now, I just need to focus on staying on this wagon fully . . . no toes dragging in the dirt, no hands hanging off the side. On and in the wagon completely, facing forward. For my personality, it will be the only way.

Day 4 for me, feeling a tad bit better, dare I say. The blinding headache is gone. Now I'm having "heat blasts." It's as if my inner furnace turns on for a few minutes, burns hotly, and then I return to normal. Interesting experience. I just try to think of all the cals burning!

Happy weekend to you all . . . one more thing . . . my husband is re-tiling the mudroom this weekend. Please tell me I am not a deadbeat for not helping. I moved the laundry bins out of there, and I was spent.

skrupp2010
02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Good morning everyone! Today was my official week 1 weigh in and I almost cannot believe my eyes! My starting weight one week ago was 378.8 lbs. I have attempted so many diets in the past that were quickly short lived as my will power gave in when I saw no results on the scale. Today's weigh in is hopefully the beginning of a journey to a healthier, happier me! This morning's weigh in was...(drum role please)...360.4 lbs!!! That's 18.4 lbs folks!!! Off to do my happy dance, have a wonderful morning!!! :carrot:

NinjaNurse
02-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Mazey1: I swear sista if I wake up one day with a Southern accent, I will know something is up!!!:hug::D

Monicakalsnik: Sounds like a great day!!! I worked in the movie biz for years and NEVER go anywhere near the movies on a w/e.

lisa32989: I do think a lot of people here are or were mobidly obese. I am sure most of us have lost and gained wgt over and over again. I know I've had my heart broken and I know that until I started IP, I was tired all the time and was sweating profusely at work just doing normal tasks. I completely understand what you have to do to stay in your groove. But, like I've said on the other board I have been on for years, if you don't like what someone has to say (and in some cases it was the person themselves they had a problem with) just stay away from that post. People are going to cheat, that is a fact, but you don't have to let yourself get caught up in their issues if it is something you are uncomfortable with.

I have to be done with this conversation. Like I said, I have been on another message board for almost 10yrs. People have come and gone, people have had drag out cyberfights and have not been nice to a few people along the way. BUT for the most part, everyone is helpful and a lot of us have met IRL and are now friends. At the end of the day I take what I need from the board, am grateful for the friends I have made, and ignore the posters who I really don't understand or have anything in common with.

I am procrastinating a play date and have to work later. Gotta get moving.

mompattie
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Sounds like a fun date night!!! We're heading to toon town as well for a night of monster trucks with the boys and shopping for me!! Hoteling it, kids excited to waterside!! Gonna try and get a table at The Keg tonight for a yummy steak!! Have a great weekend!!

becca46200
02-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I wasn't around for a lot of the conversation yesterday. I saw it on my phone but it isn't the best format to formulate a well-thought-out response.

My reasons for 100% are completely selfish and have to do with my health and well being. Mostly because I am sick and tired of literally being sick, tired and in pain. There is little room for deviation when the alternative is so dire. If you haven't experienced morbid obesity, skip this post. It probably doesn't pertain to you.

I started IP completely demoralized. I lurked on the 100% thread for my first month on IP, not feeling like I could truly join in until I proved to myself that I could actually stick to this plan for at least 30 days.

Here is my story:

Ten years ago, I was very successful on Atkins. In 1.5 years I lost 100 lbs, going from 275 to 175. After the success, I started dating again, after a messy divorce and a 5 year hiatus from romantic relationships (talk about hurt!)

Granted, it is hard to be on a severely carb-restricted diet and date, which means lots of restaurants and drinks (at least it did for me), so after a while of maintaining while trying to remain on the plan, I made the decision to "maintain for a while" before losing the last 25-30 lbs.

Ten years later, here I am on IP, with a starting weight of 260.
As much success as had on Atkins, I've NEVER felt as successful as I have on IP. Atkins is pretty forgiving of small transgressions and it is MUCH higher fat (actually, if you read about the higher fat content of it and plans such as Paleo/Primal, you'll find the right fats are actually very healthy!)

It took me 8 months to "wrap my head around" IP before I started, mostly because of the high content of processed food and because of my belief (with research to back it up) that soy is not good for us. I chose to start the plan, knowing the use of the highly processed foods would be temporary...a means to an end.

Well, after 5 months OP, my thyroid became sluggish (one of the side effects in the human body from soy and gluten) so I quit soy. But not IP! I had to make adjustments and find some appropriate alternatives, which sometimes include some real food choices, rather than packets, but I make sure the choices are equivalents (in protein, carb, fat)

After SO.MUCH.SUCCESS in the past with Atkins, I never got to goal, nor did I learn to maintain. I was determined that if I were to embark on the IP plan, I would NOT repeat the past (definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results). I was determined that I'd do what I was told TO GOAL, despite the obstacles, and then follow a maintenance plan.

This was (and still is) so incredibly important to me due to the morbid obesity with which I was living. At 49 years old I was having problems moving. I had difficulty with normal daily tasks and anything even slightly more strenuous caused me back pain for days (it still does...for one day...but I'm working on reversing that, too.)

This is more than cosmetic for me. It is about more than resulting wrinkles and loose skin (no I don't want them but if I get them, it's better than the alternative - living in pain). It is about getting my quality of life back.

That's why I'm 100% and need to spend my time with others who are too! That's why I can't deal with cheats and excuses. Because I can't cheat. I can't allow that notion in my head. I need my health and wellness and vitality WAYYY more than I need a bite of something special, a taste of a fantastic libation, or whatever it is....whether it is a once per year occurrence or a weekly happy hour with co-workers.

Do I know specific plans need to be made for trips away from home? Absolutely! I have done it. But I also know sticking as close as possible to the plan was essential for me. Because my health and well-being is the whole reason I'm on IP. I'm a little over half-way to goal. But goal weight is just the beginning of learning to maintain a healthy lifestyle with less pain and more ease of movement. There are so many things I want to DO but the extreme obesity was holding me back due to chronic pain. No bite is worth giving up the opportunity to be pain-free for me.

Thank you for sharing!!

becca46200
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Good morning everyone! Today was my official week 1 weigh in and I almost cannot believe my eyes! My starting weight one week ago was 378.8 lbs. I have attempted so many diets in the past that were quickly short lived as my will power gave in when I saw no results on the scale. Today's weigh in is hopefully the beginning of a journey to a healthier, happier me! This morning's weigh in was...(drum role please)...360.4 lbs!!! That's 18.4 lbs folks!!! Off to do my happy dance, have a wonderful morning!!! :carrot:

Congratulations!!!!

mrskuby
02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Wowee!!! Sooo amazing! :bravo:

My snowshoeing trip was canceled so I'm home with no plans...I guess it's time to experiment in the kitchen!!! Has anyone tried eggplant bacon? I found a recipe on a raw food website. I have it marinating now and I will put it in the dehydrator later...can't wait to try it! I miss bacon!

I am really enjoying eating all these veggies...I've always like them but I never realized how many ways there are to prepare them! Plus I've tried so many new ones! I love jicama, celery root, cauliflower...this list goes on!!!

Dinner out tonight with SIL and MIL at Applebee's. Already picked out what I'm gonna eat...garlic steak with garlic mushrooms and salad or veggies. I'm so looking forward to it!

Have a great weekend everyone!!:carrot:

Cheekyskeeter
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Congrats skrupp! That's awesome!!!

Mother of the Groom
02-16-2013, 12:05 PM

That is awesome Skrupp, fantastic first week! I'm on day 3 today and already am seeing a loss on my scale. I hope to have a great first WI also.
Keep up the great work!:carrot:

ladylunk
02-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Great first week! Keep it up.

kittycat87
02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone!!
I just started with IP yesterday.. it was ok, but I have a major headache and I am not really enjoying the food and not sure how to go about the recipes in phase 1 as I was told to follow exactly to what was on my sheet. I am a little confused with the veggie intake. I was told I can snack on lettuce all day and 4 cups of other veggies throughout the day. I am not a huge veggie lover and I was always a huge snack/finger foods person.. Any suggestions on other veggies I can snack on that wont mess up the diet? I am convinced I am sticking to this I just need some help:) I am found to be very hungry last night but I think it was in my mind- same as when the doctor tells you to fast during the night thats when you feel the hungriest... But any pointers, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

MonicaKolesnik
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a fun date night!!! We're heading to toon town as well for a night of monster trucks with the boys and shopping for me!! Hoteling it, kids excited to waterside!! Gonna try and get a table at The Keg tonight for a yummy steak!! Have a great weekend!!

We went there 2 weeks ago on a sat and showed up as hey opened and within 10 min after we got there the people coming in were looking at a 45 min wait. The stark was very good but I found the veggies lacking for my tastes. Saboroso is my favorite place for my OP date nights. Hope you and yours have a great time pattie.

ladylunk
02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi Everyone!!
I just started with IP yesterday.. it was ok, but I have a major headache and I am not really enjoying the food and not sure how to go about the recipes in phase 1 as I was told to follow exactly to what was on my sheet. I am a little confused with the veggie intake. I was told I can snack on lettuce all day and 4 cups of other veggies throughout the day. I am not a huge veggie lover and I was always a huge snack/finger foods person.. Any suggestions on other veggies I can snack on that wont mess up the diet? I am convinced I am sticking to this I just need some help:) I am found to be very hungry last night but I think it was in my mind- same as when the doctor tells you to fast during the night thats when you feel the hungriest... But any pointers, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I too had a problem with the food my first week. Others on here told me my tastes would adapt to it (I couldn't stand the taste of sweetner). Well they were right. I do mostly stick to cappachino and chocolate drink. One big example of that was the lemon soy puffs that were in my sample pack I thought were so hideous, husband said they were like jet fuel. Well I finally went back to them one night and guess who bought a box next weigh in? Yes tastes really do change.

I have my restricted at night before bed, usually between 8:30 and 9:00 and this helps with night time munching for me. Try adding spinach to the chocolate drink I put about a cup of spinach in and you can't taste it when blended. I do this if it's a hard to eat my veggie days. Usually I am measuring to not go over my 4 cups as love eating my veggies. Roasted cauliflower with some spices or a bit of franks hot sauce. Yum! Check out the recipe threads for great ideas on cooking veggies. Jicama is great, kind of an apple/turnip taste. Good raw or sauteed with cinnamon and splenda (a nice sweet treat). Do you like dill pickles to munch on (low sodium)? How about cucumber with some vinegar and sea salt?

It will get better. You can have an extra non restricted pack your first week if you are really hungry, but yes lot's of time it's the mind playing tricks on you. I had a couple of hard boiled eggs my first week to get me through, but just a couple as it's the egg whites that are free (2 a day I believe). Drink lot's of water and try some herbal tea to help curb the hunger. Good luck!

leannekarella
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Here is my story:

Thank you for sharing your story, Lisa...

To anyone I may have offended with my defense of staying 100% OP, I'm sorry. I do not want to sound condescending to anyone.

I have struggled with my weight my ENTIRE life. I was a chubby kid, and was over 220 lbs when I graduated high school. By the time I'd had my daughter at 23, I was over 300 lbs.

I have lost the weight before... 12 years ago, I lost 85 lbs basically through a starvation diet and excessive exercise. I was in my 20's and survived it.

Then my body rebelled when I had a miscarriage. I had undiagnosed PCOS, I got up to 330 lbs, and became diabetic. Since the diagnosis of diabetes, I have struggled and struggled to lose weight, and nothing but starvation and excessive exercise has worked. And then I tore a tendon in my shoulder and was cut off all exercise except walking.

I also have an ASD (hole in the wall of my heart) that needs open heart surgery to fix...And the surgeon won't touch me until I get down to at least 250 lbs, because of the possible complications brought on by diabetes. Because of the hole, I have breathing issues, so that any exercise outside of walking on a flat surface (I can't do stairs or hills) leaves me winded and my blood pressure skyrocketing.

I've spent a lot of tears on this in total frustration. I have to eat a 1200 calorie diabetic diet just to MAINTAIN my weight (which I've done for 2 years since I tore up my shoulder) but I was still 35 lbs from getting the surgery I need. Anyone who has dieted knows that anything under 1200 calories on a "balanced" diet will make you feel like you're starving.

The reason I'm SO gung-ho with 100% OP for IP... I'm FINALLY losing weight, and for me at least, this is a miracle. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I will get my surgery, and hopefully I will get to a healthy weight (far beneath the 250 needed for surgery) with IP.

I KNOW it's hard, it's a struggle to avoid the bad foods. I understand this. And I guess my feeling is, if I can do it, anyone can, because of all my extra problems. I miss going out for Chinese. I really, really, really miss pizza (I was always a cheese addict) and I LOVE potatoes. I have a teenager who can, unlike me at that age, eat a burger and half a pizza and still eat dessert and never put on weight. It sucks to be around people like that, and when she's eating that burger and pizza, I get snarly and irritated and pretty much hate her in that moment.

I don't want anyone to feel that I would ever, ever, ever put them down for falling off the wagon, so to speak.

This diet may just save my life, and sometimes I want to tell the world (or at least every overweight person I know) about the diet and tell them they should try it. My entire view on this diet is... Finally, something that works. Why would I want to mess up and have that slice of pizza when THANK GOD, it's working! Perhaps because I've had such a restricted diet for the last 6 years (no pasta, very little bread, almost no fruit) it is easier for me to give up the last few goodies I allowed myself.

I hope everyone reaches their goals.

kittycat87
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I too had a problem with the food my first week. Others on here told me my tastes would adapt to it (I couldn't stand the taste of sweetner). Well they were right. I do mostly stick to cappachino and chocolate drink. One big example of that was the lemon soy puffs that were in my sample pack I thought were so hideous, husband said they were like jet fuel. Well I finally went back to them one night and guess who bought a box next weigh in? Yes tastes really do change.

I have my restricted at night before bed, usually between 8:30 and 9:00 and this helps with night time munching for me. Try adding spinach to the chocolate drink I put about a cup of spinach in and you can't taste it when blended. I do this if it's a hard to eat my veggie days. Usually I am measuring to not go over my 4 cups as love eating my veggies. Roasted cauliflower with some spices or a bit of franks hot sauce. Yum! Check out the recipe threads for great ideas on cooking veggies. Jicama is great, kind of an apple/turnip taste. Good raw or sauteed with cinnamon and splenda (a nice sweet treat). Do you like dill pickles to munch on (low sodium)? How about cucumber with some vinegar and sea salt?

It will get better. You can have an extra non restricted pack your first week if you are really hungry, but yes lot's of time it's the mind playing tricks on you. I had a couple of hard boiled eggs my first week to get me through, but just a couple as it's the egg whites that are free (2 a day I believe). Drink lot's of water and try some herbal tea to help curb the hunger. Good luck!
Thanks so much :) I have no problems eating all of the veggies as I LOVE raw veggies, just not a huge lover of lettuce. but I am afraid that I will go over my limit. Most of my kit is puddings :( YUCK the taste is off but the texture is horrible.. I am urging as I am trying to get it down :( I did have a chicken noodle soup yesterday and I did enjoy that. I will have to look at the recipes for sure.. I am just not sure what is ok to add and whats not. I didnt know I was allowed to add an egg as I was told not to go over my 8 oz of protien and not to add anything that is on my list. I see so many people saying they add this or that to there meals I'm not sure why i was told differnt but I think I would get bored with the food fast if I stick to the sheet...

SweetShe
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I know I've seen others post about this but it happened to me last night - I dreamed that I cheated. In my dream I was upset and opened my freezer to find that I had all this ice cream, ice cream bars, etc. I ate 2 different ice cream bars and 2 red velvet ice cream sandwiches. I don't know if there is such a thing as a red velvet ice cream sandwich but in my dream there was. Then I went to the grocery store and decided that since I already cheated that day, I was going to cheat some more and put a bag of milk duds in my cart and was looking for something else to add (in the candy aisle). Then, I started to feel guilty and changed my mind, put the candy back and started to look for some sugarless gum without aspartame (I cannot chew gum because of TMJ)...but I did feel better by the end of the dream. I was also planning on throwing out my freezer full of ice cream when I got home.

I'm so glad I didn't really cheat...but wanted to share! I've always had very lucid dreams and have usually been able to gain control in my dream no matter what was happening...

leannekarella
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Everyone!!

Welcome!

By day 4 my headache went away, and through trial and error I found the foods I enjoy, and those I won't touch again.

I know this differs from what other coaches have told their clients, but I was told not only lettuce but also celery, cucumbers and dill pickles are "free" snack foods. You can also try different lettuces. I usually eat romaine, because it's heartier than ice burg. There's butter and Boston lettuce too, but I've never even tried those.

My day of eating goes something like this, and it's easier once you're fully in ketosis, because the hunger will subside. Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat...which has never happened in my life!

Breakfast between 8-10 depending on when I feel hungry. 1 IP food and my coffee with allowed milk
I try to eat a bigger breakfast. Make a nice omelet or egg fu yung (using at least 1 cup of your veggies) with the IP omelet mix. I prefer the plain over the herbed one, because I add my own seasonings to my taste.

Lunch 12-2 depending on when I'm hungry and how late I had breakfast.
I make "salad soup" which is fat free chicken or beef broth (home made or store bought) that has celery and romaine in it, sometimes some spinach (not everyone's favorite) and season it up to make a tasty soup. I make up a big pot of it and keep it in the fridge. This is not only a "freebie" whenever I need a snack, I also take about 1.5 cups of it, warm it in a small pot on stove...and then mix up an IP soup mix as per directions. I prefer mushroom, chicken noodle or chicken ala king. Then I put it in the pot with my salad soup. That way I get a big hearty bowl of soup for lunch, that also incorporates a few more veggies.

Snack 3-4pm. I have a spinach salad with some sweet peppers, cucumbers, and dill pickles. I make a "free" Italian or dijon dressing and add in my grapeseed or olive oil.

Dinner is always around 6pm when hubby get home from work. More veggies and my meat.

Snack 9pm at the latest. And it's usually a pudding or chocolate drink (I'm on totally non-restricted foods because of diabetes) but I know this is when a lot of people eat their restricted. And it's nice to feel like you can have a dessert.

Hope this helps.
Hang in there. You'll feel better in a couple of days! :hug:

Wild wire
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much :) I have no problems eating all of the veggies as I LOVE raw veggies, just not a huge lover of lettuce. but I am afraid that I will go over my limit. Most of my kit is puddings :( YUCK the taste is off but the texture is horrible.. I am urging as I am trying to get it down :( I did have a chicken noodle soup yesterday and I did enjoy that. I will have to look at the recipes for sure.. I am just not sure what is ok to add and whats not. I didnt know I was allowed to add an egg as I was told not to go over my 8 oz of protien and not to add anything that is on my list. I see so many people saying they add this or that to there meals I'm not sure why i was told differnt but I think I would get bored with the food fast if I stick to the sheet...

I always put my puddings in the freezer for an hour one so. It changes the texture & is more like a gelato!

leannekarella
02-16-2013, 01:04 PM

I might get yelled at, but I'm never careful about going over my veggie limit. I do it daily. I make sure it's the lower carb veggies. I especially like spinach and zucchini.

The only pudding I can stomach is the dark chocolate. The rest made me gag, but I choked them down because I'd paid for them. My absolute favorite treat is the pre-made chocolate drink in a box. Tastes like really great chocolate milk, especially if you give it an hour in the freezer before you drink it.

Oh yeah, and remember everything that doesn't require heating...make sure it's COLD COLD COLD. This stuff really does taste better when almost frozen, at least in my opinion.

I add seasonings (garlic and onion lover) to almost everything (non sweets of course) I also add a ton of green onions to stuff. I like the chicken flavored patty mix...add garlic and green onions and pepper, and make little fried chicken nuggets with it and dip in a tiny bit of soy sauce. Tastes like uncovered egg roll filling to me.

As for following the sheet. My suggestion is to follow it strictly for the first few days so you can get into ketosis and out of feeling horrible. The only thing I really deviate is where veggies are concerned. But then, I don't eat any restricted foods, so I have a little leeway with the veggie carbs others on the diet don't.

Suchawittygal
02-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Well, I was down another 1.6 lb yesterday. I can NOT wait to get to the 140s!! Yay!

Tziri
02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone, happy weekend and grats to all the losses!
For people who are starting, some of the food is disgusting and I had to gag a couple things down my first week. But like other people have said your tastes will really change! However some food will remain disgusting (I can't eat any of the puddings either). You just have to try everything and find all the ones you like!
That being said, I have to admit I finally tried the spinach mocha latte recipe with my chocolate rtd. Oh my that drink is AMAZING. I know everyone who finally tries it always says that but I remained skeptical lol. It is definitely going to be my morning breakfast from now on!
Hope everyone has a great weekend! (I'm also staying out of the cheat debate, I'm 100% op because I have also been morbidly obese since high school and I finally am feeling normal and healthy and no food will take that away from me. At the same time I feel everyone's life and choices are their own.)

ladylunk
02-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Well you are not "really" supposed to add an egg. Two egg whites are freebies for the day. I was just told that in a pinch at the beginning I could have one hardboiled to get through. I do add eggs to meatballs, meatloaf etc. but just have a little under the alotted 8oz to make up for it. Not much mind you as I am usually cooking the dinner for atleast 1 up to 4 others so one egg isn't making a whole lot of difference. You can use spices that don't have any added sugar etc. A little of anything that is 0carbs, 0fat, 0sugar. So there are things to use that help with flavours. I am a coconut oil user for my cooking. And that gives very nice flavouring as well.

You don't have to have the lettuce it is just a freebie so can eat as much as you want. Works for nice big salads, I kind of use mine almost like bread. I wrap a lot of dinners with it. Or just pile my meat on it and munch away. I also think the lettuce helps with constipation issues..

Sorry you are stuck with the puddings. I am not a fan of those. Any I had I turned into shakes by adding more water and ice and blending. So maybe try that?

Cheekyskeeter
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm not much of a cook but since I've discovered that my system can't seem to handle raw veggies any more I'm forced to find recipes that I can handle. My DH does all the cooking in our house but he's a police officer so works shift work. Today for lunch I just tried (and conquered I might add) a fried 'rice' using cauliflower. It was absolutely fabulous!!! I added 1oz of fat free ham to it (my coach suggested adding part of my protein at lunch). I only made enough to get my two cups of veggies in for lunch but now wish I made more for leftovers. I'm definitely trying this one again!

bella2013
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I love reading through here and seeing how much weight everyone is losing! It definitely keeps me very motivated. I just had my week 5 weigh in and lost another 2 pounds. That makes 25 pounds in 5 weeks. I am thrilled.

lisa32989
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
The reason I'm SO gung-ho with 100% OP for IP... I'm FINALLY losing weight, and for me at least, this is a miracle. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I will get my surgery, and hopefully I will get to a healthy weight (far beneath the 250 needed for surgery) with IP.

This diet may just save my life, and sometimes I want to tell the world (or at least every overweight person I know) about the diet and tell them they should try it. My entire view on this diet is... Finally, something that works. Why would I want to mess up and have (whatever) when THANK GOD, it's working!
It is like a miracle to me, too. And one I find very precious. When you feel like your life is being saved, it definitely changes your outlook.

I know this differs from what other coaches have told their clients, but I was told not only lettuce but also celery, cucumbers and dill pickles are "free" snack foods. You can also try different lettuces. I usually eat romaine, because it's heartier than ice burg. There's butter and Boston lettuce too, but I've never even tried those.
Kittycat: yes, some coaches do deviate from the sheet to say that what Leannekarella says above, however the IP protocol sheet calls cukes, pickles, and celery "select vegetables", which includes them in the 4 c/day.
However, other items that are 0/0/0 (carbs/sugar/fat) are allowed and up to 2 egg whites (not the whole egg) per day is one of those items. THAT is how people make the recipes with egg whites and an IP packet. It isn't a deviation from the P1 sheet.
Also, there are chicken broths available that are 0/0/0. Those can also be used in recipes. I stir fry veggies often and use some chicken broth to add flavor.
There are TONS of recipes in the first post of the daily thread. Check them out. They are very helpful.

kittycat87
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Welcome!

By day 4 my headache went away, and through trial and error I found the foods I enjoy, and those I won't touch again.

My day of eating goes something like this, and it's easier once you're fully in ketosis, because the hunger will subside. Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat...which has never happened in my life!

Breakfast between 8-10 depending on when I feel hungry. 1 IP food and my coffee with allowed milk
I try to eat a bigger breakfast. Make a nice omelet or egg fu yung (using at least 1 cup of your veggies) with the IP omelet mix. I prefer the plain over the herbed one, because I add my own seasonings to my taste.

Lunch 12-2 depending on when I'm hungry and how late I had breakfast.
I make "salad soup" which is fat free chicken or beef broth (home made or store bought) that has celery and romaine in it, sometimes some spinach (not everyone's favorite) and season it up to make a tasty soup. I make up a big pot of it and keep it in the fridge. This is not only a "freebie" whenever I need a snack, I also take about 1.5 cups of it, warm it in a small pot on stove...and then mix up an IP soup mix as per directions. I prefer mushroom, chicken noodle or chicken ala king. Then I put it in the pot with my salad soup. That way I get a big hearty bowl of soup for lunch, that also incorporates a few more veggies.

Snack 3-4pm. I have a spinach salad with some sweet peppers, cucumbers, and dill pickles. I make a "free" Italian or dijon dressing and add in my grapeseed or olive oil.

Dinner is always around 6pm when hubby get home from work. More veggies and my meat.

Snack 9pm at the latest. And it's usually a pudding or chocolate drink (I'm on totally non-restricted foods because of diabetes) but I know this is when a lot of people eat their restricted. And it's nice to feel like you can have a dessert.

Hope this helps.
Hang in there. You'll feel better in a couple of days! :hug:
Thanks the example of your day made things a lot more clear :) thanks everyone for your help.. I am stuck in my ways that I am going to do this.. just needing some help :D Thanks again everyone

ragdoll74
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM

:bravo: Fantastic!!! That first week way in is always such a wonderful boost of motivation.

Hi Everyone!!

Pickles are an allowed veggie, so you can snack on those and they count towards your 4 cups. You can try prepping a bunch of chopped veggies and then measure out 2 cups worth to add to your salad. I used to do a little lettuce, 1 cup spinach, then my 1 cup of various chopped veggies to add to my salad. Red cabbage is another good one to add to salad. It gives it more crunch and variety.

Roasted mixed veggies are really good. The 2 cups will cook down a little, so they don't look like a giant pile of veggies. My favorite is a mix of cauli, bell peppers (usually red, orange & yellow), zucchini & yellow summer squash. I just toss them in olive oil, sea salt and roast at 400 degrees until the cauli starts to brown.

This diet may just save my life, and sometimes I want to tell the world (or at least every overweight person I know) about the diet and tell them they should try it. My entire view on this diet is... Finally, something that works. Why would I want to mess up and have that slice of pizza when THANK GOD, it's working! Perhaps because I've had such a restricted diet for the last 6 years (no pasta, very little bread, almost no fruit) it is easier for me to give up the last few goodies I allowed myself.

I hope everyone reaches their goals.

I feel the same way about IP. It has changed my life, and I am in control for the first time in many years.

I might get yelled at, but I'm never careful about going over my veggie limit. I do it daily. I make sure it's the lower carb veggies. I especially like spinach and zucchini.

It's obviously not hurting your losses now. When you get closer to goal you may notice a big slow down, so keep in mind you might need to stick to the 4 cups then. It's funny how many of us go from not liking veggies to wanting to eat more than 4 cups. When I first started I didn't know how I could possibly eat that many veggies in one day.:)
Well, I was down another 1.6 lb yesterday. I can NOT wait to get to the 140s!! Yay!

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

ultramommynine
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Good morning ladies! This is my first post here on 3fc :).
I came here looking for something new, effective, and hopefully fast! I've lurked on 3fc for years but never found the ip threads before. I've mostly stuck with atkins or weight watchers in the past.

I'm in a weight loss competition at my job and managed to lose about 15 pounds on atkins in about 3 weeks but I started having a hard time allowing myself to over eat allowed foods and too many veggies. The first week I gained a pound instead of losing and all my coworkers made fun of me, I fell off the wagon big time :(

I've been overweight most of my life and am hoping this will be the method that finally works for me. I'm starting at my pregnancy weight (even though I had my baby a year ago) and am excited to see where I will be when I do my first weigh in next week! I'm going to stick to weekly weigh ins because I'm notorious for getting discouraged and getting off plan because the scale isn't going down as fast as I want it too.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has put in time and effort for the newbies by compiling all the IP FAQ and alternative lists!

ragdoll74
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I came here looking for something new, effective, and hopefully fast! I've lurked on 3fc for years but never found the ip threads before. I've mostly stuck with atkins or weight watchers in the past.

I'm in a weight loss competition at my job and managed to lose about 15 pounds on atkins in about 3 weeks but I started having a hard time allowing myself to over eat allowed foods and too many veggies. The first week I gained a pound instead of losing and all my coworkers made fun of me, I fell off the wagon big time :(

I've been overweight most of my life and am hoping this will be the method that finally works for me. I'm starting at my pregnancy weight (even though I had my baby a year ago) and am excited to see where I will be when I do my first weigh in next week! I'm going to stick to weekly weigh ins because I'm notorious for getting discouraged and getting off plan because the scale isn't going down as fast as I want it too.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has put in time and effort for the newbies by compiling all the IP FAQ and alternative lists!

Welcome to IP. If you are already following Atkins, then the transition to IP should be fairly painless. You'll do great, and I don't think your coworkers will be making fun of you anymore.

Tziri
02-16-2013, 01:53 PM

:welcome: Just wanted to say a quick congratulations on starting IP and best wishes during your weight-loss journey!!!

JudithL
02-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Welcome!! You'll do great at your work competition, I bet!! Glad you're here!!

IP43
02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I have a lovely day planned with my husband, what is more romantic then a Die Hard movie and Brazilian steakhouse :p

I'm so sorry Monica-- but when you said "what's more romantic than a Brazilian steakhouse" all I could think was "Well your hubby might think a brazilian WAX a bit more romantic..." I should probably keep the thought in my own head but .... I'm feelin' a little :devil: today

IP43
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM

I always felt the same way -- it's not going to hurt me to eat too many veggies, BUT I just overheard people talking at work saying that some veggies like spinach, if you eat too much, can lead to kidney stones (or was it gall stones??). Anyone know if too much spinach is an issue (a more serious one than putting you over your carb count I mean)?

SylviesGirl
02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi Everyone!!

Welcome, Kittycat! I'm only a couple of days ahead of you. It is day 4 for me, but I thought I would say hi from "the other side of headache-ville." I had a headache almost from the start and yesterday, day 3, I was pretty sure my left eyeball was just going to jump from its socket from all the pounding on the left side of my head. Today, it is gone. Hang in there, it really will pass.

As to the food, I will leave that to the others . . . I'm still finding my way, myself. Good luck!;)

leannekarella
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I always felt the same way -- it's not going to hurt me to eat too many veggies, BUT I just overheard people talking at work saying that some veggies like spinach, if you eat too much, can lead to kidney stones (or was it gall stones??). Anyone know if too much spinach is an issue (a more serious one than putting you over your carb count I mean)?

I already have gall stones, that were brought on from rapid weight loss in the past in an unhealthy manner. We take the Cal/Mag supplements to help us prevent them on IP. Yes, it's true that it contains the minerals that can bind together and cause kidney stones, I have never had an issue.

From Livestrong.com: Gallbladder disease is a condition that affects 10 percent to 25 percent of adults in the United States, according to a June 2004 article published in the "American Journal of Epidemiology." An estimated 75 percent to 80 percent of gallstones in the United States are cholesterol stones. Although the exact mechanism is unclear, magnesium intake can prevent an increase of your triglyceride levels and the decrease of your high-density lipoprotein levels, thus lowering your risk of developing gallstones, says an August 2007 article in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology." Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/477599-how-does-taking-magnesium-help-with-gallbladder-problems/#ixzz2L5wiQMvj

From Livestrong.com: Lauded for its crisp texture and nutritional abundance, raw spinach is a superstar among vegetables, containing compounds that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Despite its health perks, spinach also contains a type of antinutrient that can bind to minerals and potentially cause kidney stones. Although raw spinach won't usually cause any type of kidney damage, you may need to be careful with this vegetable if you have existing kidney disease or a history of kidney stones. Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/494611-raw-spinach-and-kidney-damage/#ixzz2L5w3XKj8

I would guess that eating enough spinach to cause stones of any kind would take a LOT of spinach. I eat about 2-3 cups a day measured raw... Sometimes it's a salad, sometimes I cook it. And not EVERYday...maybe 4 times a week.

Also, I do not eat restricted IP foods, because the carbs in them are sugar, not fiber, and unhealthy for my diabetic body. I make up for those missing carbs by eating more veggies. I stay within the acceptable carb count, and in fact even with more veggies, get less net carbs a day than I would if I had, say, a Caramel Crunch Bar.

NinjaNurse
02-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I was talking to my friends today about IP. It was a nice conversation. I was telling them how the food is an aquired taste but now I love my choco drink (I like the packet) and salt & vinegar crisps. One of my friends told me her nutritionist did not approve of IP. I asked why but she had no definite answer except that people get sick. I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.
We did agree that at the end of the day whatever nutritional plan we chose to follow, it has to work for us.

ultramommynine
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Welcome to IP. If you are already following Atkins, then the transition to IP should be fairly painless. You'll do great, and I don't think your coworkers will be making fun of you anymore.

No, I wish I had stayed on atkins but when I say I fell off the wagon, I mean I fell off, rolled down the hill and into the river, and went down stream. I barely made it out before I went over the water fall lol. I actually put everything back on that I lost, but then I sort of made up for lost time so I was expecting it!

But no more! It might sound strange but I think I'll feel a lot safer with more structure and less options. Less opportunity for "creative temptation" :)

ultramommynine
02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.
We did agree that at the end of the day whatever nutritional plan we chose to follow, it has to work for us.

This exactly! Congrats on your 40 pound loss!

ragdoll74
02-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I already have gall stones, that were brought on from rapid weight loss in the past in an unhealthy manner. We take the Cal/Mag supplements to help us prevent them on IP. Yes, it's true that it contains the minerals that can bind together and cause kidney stones, I have never had an issue.

From Livestrong.com: Gallbladder disease is a condition that affects 10 percent to 25 percent of adults in the United States, according to a June 2004 article published in the "American Journal of Epidemiology." An estimated 75 percent to 80 percent of gallstones in the United States are cholesterol stones. Although the exact mechanism is unclear, magnesium intake can prevent an increase of your triglyceride levels and the decrease of your high-density lipoprotein levels, thus lowering your risk of developing gallstones, says an August 2007 article in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology." Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/477599-how-does-taking-magnesium-help-with-gallbladder-problems/#ixzz2L5wiQMvj

From Livestrong.com: Lauded for its crisp texture and nutritional abundance, raw spinach is a superstar among vegetables, containing compounds that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Despite its health perks, spinach also contains a type of antinutrient that can bind to minerals and potentially cause kidney stones. Although raw spinach won't usually cause any type of kidney damage, you may need to be careful with this vegetable if you have existing kidney disease or a history of kidney stones. Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/494611-raw-spinach-and-kidney-damage/#ixzz2L5w3XKj8

I would guess that eating enough spinach to cause stones of any kind would take a LOT of spinach. I eat about 2-3 cups a day measured raw... Sometimes it's a salad, sometimes I cook it. And not EVERYday...maybe 4 times a week.

Also, I do not eat restricted IP foods, because the carbs in them are sugar, not fiber, and unhealthy for my diabetic body. I make up for those missing carbs by eating more veggies. I stay within the acceptable carb count, and in fact even with more veggies, get less net carbs a day than I would if I had, say, a Caramel Crunch Bar.

Thanks for the great info!

I was talking to my friends today about IP. It was a nice conversation. I was telling them how the food is an aquired taste but now I love my choco drink (I like the packet) and salt & vinegar crisps. One of my friends told me her nutritionist did not approve of IP. I asked why but she had no definite answer except that people get sick. I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.

I'm guessing that nutritionist doesn't know much about IP, and has made some assumptions. I felt very comfortable with doing IP because my physician approves of it, and the coach worked out of my physicians office.

I'm one of the people who has control issues with food and IP has given me back control. The thought of maintenance scares me a little because I'm afraid of losing control again. I know bad carbs and sugar are going to be something I need to stay away from in maintenance if I want to stay in control.
No, I wish I had stayed on atkins but when I say I fell off the wagon, I mean I fell off, rolled down the hill and into the river, and went down stream. I barely made it out before I went over the water fall lol. I actually put everything back on that I lost, but then I sort of made up for lost time so I was expecting it!

But no more! It might sound strange but I think I'll feel a lot safer with more structure and less options. Less opportunity for "creative temptation" :)

Ouch! That was a big fall. You're not alone in falling off the diet and gaining it back. The good thing is you have had that experience and you don't want to repeat it.

Temptation will still be there, but the weight comes off so quickly it keeps you motivated.

IP43
02-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the great info!

IdealProteinNewbie
02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm not much of a cook but since I've discovered that my system can't seem to handle raw veggies any more I'm forced to find recipes that I can handle. My DH does all the cooking in our house but he's a police officer so works shift work. Today for lunch I just tried (and conquered I might add) a fried 'rice' using cauliflower. It was absolutely fabulous!!! I added 1oz of fat free ham to it (my coach suggested adding part of my protein at lunch). I only made enough to get my two cups of veggies in for lunch but now wish I made more for leftovers. I'm definitely trying this one again!

I have become obsessed with roasting veggies. I've always loved vegetables but now I have to stop myself from eating more than 4 cups per day.

I line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil, put the veggies on the tray, (literally any will work...cauliflower, asparagus, okra, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, cabbage, zucchini, etc.) mist with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and roast at 350* for 20-25 minutes until they start to brown.

ragdoll74
02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
I have become obsessed with roasting veggies. I've always loved vegetables but now I have to stop myself from eating more than 4 cups per day.

I line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil, put the veggies on the tray, (literally any will work...cauliflower, asparagus, okra, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, cabbage, zucchini, etc.) mist with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and roast at 350* for 20-25 minutes until they start to brown.

Yummy roasted veggies :hun::drool:

M35A2
02-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Mushrooms have become our favorite. I use the cayenne on everything but them, just EVOO and SeaSalt and they're perfect.

NinjaNurse
02-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Thank you for the congrats!! I absolutely love your description of falling off the wagon. Best of luck with IP. It is hard at 1st but definitely becomes a way of life after awhile. There's a lot of great info here so welcome!!

pinky1978
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi guys--Quick question--About to head out to Outback. Plan on having an 8oz steak. Which cut of steak do you recommend? I have lost my little paper my coach gave me!?! Thanks. Doing pretty good so far. Week 6, 16 lbs gone. Trying not to mess up at dinner!

IdealProteinNewbie
02-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi guys--Quick question--About to head out to Outback. Plan on having an 8oz steak. Which cut of steak do you recommend? I have lost my little paper my coach gave me!?! Thanks. Doing pretty good so far. Week 6, 16 lbs gone. Trying not to mess up at dinner!

Sirloin, Round or Tenderloin. Make sure you ask them to "dry-grill" it so they don't put a clump of butter on at the end!

Outback is fantastic at handling diet requests. You can also ask for plain, steam broccoli there.

Have fun!

MonicaKolesnik
02-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm so sorry Monica-- but when you said "what's more romantic than a Brazilian steakhouse" all I could think was "Well your hubby might think a brazilian WAX a bit more romantic..." I should probably keep the thought in my own head but .... I'm feelin' a little :devil: today

we will just stick with the steakhouse for now as its winter here and that would be way to chilly :p

Desafinado
02-16-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm eating rutabaga fries right now and they are DELICIOUS! Thanks for introducing me to them.

IP43
02-16-2013, 06:55 PM

Every sheet your coach gave/will give/ has not heard of yet are posted up on the "stickies" so you can print of another if you need it. I find I usually have info from this site way before my coach does. This site is definitely "in the loop"

ultramommynine
02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Sirloin, Round or Tenderloin. Make sure you ask them to "dry-grill" it so they don't put a clump of butter on at the end!

Outback is fantastic at handling diet requests. You can also ask for plain, steam broccoli there.

Have fun!

I had no idea they did that at restaurants! No wonder they always taste so nice lol.

Glad to say I made it through my first work shift on plan and haven't even felt too hungry. At one point I had a little tummy ache but I think it wasn't really hunger. Maybe I was full lol, who knows. I'm definitely looking forward to dinner tonight when I get home! I just have to make it through a birthday get together for my grandpa first.

pinky1978
02-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Have fun!

Thank you! Just got back. Got the Sirloin...it was delicious!

LizJazz
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
I had a sirloin and broccoli from outback today for lunch-yummy!!!!!

IP43
02-16-2013, 08:36 PM
My boys had tacos for lunch so I took the meat (spiced with a bit o spice and a bit of salsa as they like it plainer than spicy) and am now having my "big mac in the bowl" except it's a "big taco salad" in the bowl! LOL I was gonna put some southwest puffs on top for a spicy crunch, but used them all to make breading for my pork the other day -- that was yummy too!

rofl306
02-16-2013, 09:23 PM

I found this out before I was on IP. We were at a very nice steak house on a cruise ship and my steak had a big wade of yellow on it. I asked my brother what it was. He said it was a pad of butter. My DH and I started scraping our steaks to get it off. I thought the waiter was going to die. Apparently we were very uncouth but I didn't care. What a terrible thing to do to a steak. LOL

mompattie
02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
I found this out before I was on IP. We were at a very nice steak house on a cruise ship and my steak had a big wade of yellow on it. I asked my brother what it was. He said it was a pad of butter. My DH and I started scraping our steaks to get it off. I thought the waiter was going to die. Apparently we were very uncouth but I didn't care. What a terrible thing to do to a steak. LOL

LMAO!! Pre-IP I would make my own compound butters (butter with herbs, etc), to dab on the steaks when they were finished grilling....ohhhh divine times those were!! Now I top steaks off with sautéed mushrooms!! YUM!

BrittStar027
02-16-2013, 10:09 PM

Hey! Sounds like me! Lost 42 lbs the first time on IP and for many reasons (none of them seem logical at this point), went off protocol and gained everything back plus 22 lbs! Felt super good about myself at that point. The one thing i can take from that experience is that i know IP works, and i know now what i'm in for. I'm committed to this now and ready to be a healthier and happier version of myself! Good luck to you!

DJ72
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
I feel bad I even mentioned the whole cheat thing. Sorry if it upset people. I was not ADVOCATING cheating.... NUF said
On a happy note I finally found some underwater that fit! This is a huge thing for me as it seems every time I buy them and wash them, they become these horrible things! Got to stick up on them. Lol
Hockey season here and worked the booth at the rink last night! Glad French fries aren't my weakness because I cooked them for three hours!
Hope everybody is having a good day!
My apologies again. I will keep my mouth shut!

DJ72
02-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Underware. Not Underwater. Oh My Goodness

IP43
02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
LMAO!! Pre-IP I would make my own compound butters (butter with herbs, etc), to dab on the steaks when they were finished grilling....ohhhh divine times those were!! Now I top steaks off with sautéed mushrooms!! YUM!

Oh my friend-- I KNEW you were the Little Red Hen! You grind your own wheat AND make your own butter?? Plus the homemade yogurt?.... I'm thinkin' of you as our own little Martha Stewart here! :p

IP43
02-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I feel bad I even mentioned the whole cheat thing. Sorry if it upset people. ...My apologies again. I will keep my mouth shut!

No apologies needed. We're all big people here, making our own decisions, and people need support of different kinds. Hopefully you don't keep your mouth shut -- a good discussion once in awhile is good for the soul-- got our metabolisms goin' a bit faster, which only burnt extra calories ;). I hope however, people don't take offence, just because someone expresses a contrary opinion once in awhile. However, you can definitely see how strongly people advocate against the cheating -- for good reason (been there, done that, still trying to get back to where I was)-- so it's a good message for new people to hear. Until you understand the "science" of this diet, a little "cheat" doesn't seem a big deal.

I think your "underwater" thing came from us all dreamin' of diving with Bubbleblower! LOL

ultramommynine
02-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Hey! Sounds like me! Lost 42 lbs the first time on IP and for many reasons (none of them seem logical at this point), went off protocol and gained everything back plus 22 lbs! Felt super good about myself at that point. The one thing i can take from that experience is that i know IP works, and i know now what i'm in for. I'm committed to this now and ready to be a healthier and happier version of myself! Good luck to you!

Isn't hindsight always 20/20? I wish I had foresight! Then maybe I would have stuck to something years ago and lost it all by now! Oh how I remember the days when I was 180 and thought I was HUGE. What I would do to be starting at 180 now! If I only I had known! Oh well. At least this time, when I get to 180, I'll have a lot more respect for it :)

One thing I can work on today, regardless of what I weigh is enjoying the body that I have now and being grateful for everything it does for me! I've been bad at this in the past. I'm not just going to be good to myself once I'm thin, I'm going to be good to myself right now. I need to remember that my body will treat me better if I take good care of it instead of poisoning it with junk food that makes me feel miserable emotionally and physically.

DJ72
02-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Ultramommynine.... You have exactly the right attitude! I thank God every day that I am healthy.... Pleasantly plump but healthy!

ladylunk
02-17-2013, 12:21 AM
No apologies needed. We're all big people here, making our own decisions, and people need support of different kinds. Hopefully you don't keep your mouth shut -- a good discussion once in awhile is good for the soul-- got our metabolisms goin' a bit faster, which only burnt extra calories ;). I hope however, people don't take offence, just because someone expresses a contrary opinion once in awhile. However, you can definitely see how strongly people advocate against the cheating -- for good reason (been there, done that, still trying to get back to where I was)-- so it's a good message for new people to hear. Until you understand the "science" of this diet, a little "cheat" doesn't seem a big deal.

I think your "underwater" thing came from us all dreamin' of diving with Bubbleblower! LOL

I think I might actually be multiquoting! Cool. IP43 always like hearing what you have to say.

Isn't hindsight always 20/20? I wish I had foresight! Then maybe I would have stuck to something years ago and lost it all by now! Oh how I remember the days when I was 180 and thought I was HUGE. What I would do to be starting at 180 now! If I only I had known! Oh well. At least this time, when I get to 180, I'll have a lot more respect for it :)

One thing I can work on today, regardless of what I weigh is enjoying the body that I have now and being grateful for everything it does for me! I've been bad at this in the past. I'm not just going to be good to myself once I'm thin, I'm going to be good to myself right now. I need to remember that my body will treat me better if I take good care of it instead of poisoning it with junk food that makes me feel miserable emotionally and physically.

Good to hear from you. Also like what you have to say. Taking care of our bodies what a concept. Are we maybe growing up??? Realizing we are not invincible anymore. I know it's about time for me. But have a long way to go to be really responsible for my body. Right now I am doing well on IP and stopped smoking a couple of months ago. One step at a time.

Ultramommynine.... You have exactly the right attitude! I thank God every day that I am healthy.... Pleasantly plump but healthy!

Right on! Same for me. Actually I feel very lucky that I am healthy. Have two sisters with medical issues, I am the one who abused my body the most and I luckily haven't had any medical issues yet......Knocking on wood

Elle595
02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi there. I'm new to the whole online thing but must say reading everyone's posts about so many aspects of IP is great - thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the surgery subject as it's adding to the stress of the whole thing that'set for next week. I can't get my mind off this! I've been without a solid coach almost from day 1. Clinic's coach was nice but never really helped me or reviewed my journal for suggestions. Most weighs (only had 4 with clinic since start in Nov - didn't do well and cheated a lot, stopped during Dec, then picked up in Jan) I felt like it was all about the $$$ and not overall well-being. Since the clinic wasn't helping me lose I started reading 3FChicks, made my own changes with suggestions from all of you, got my food from the clinic, and just started working hard on my own since 1/14/2013. I'm 5'0, 46 yrs old, started at 126.9 down to 111.1 as of today. I'm expecting weight gain due to IV and meds, maybe a bit of constipation - but if I stick OP and drink plenty of water it will come off right? Surgery expected to take 4-6 hours but after recovery I should be good to go home. Having capsulectomy removal both breasts with immediate reconstruction. Dr. is aware I'm on IP and not worried. I was aiming for 110 by surgery and I'm so close. I know I can stay OP after surgery and once cleared for walking on treadmill will feel better. Of course I'll follow dr.'s orders with meds and all, but would like to hear what others have experienced with IP issues after surgical procedures. Saw some posts regarding knee surgery, aving a baby, body lifts, etc. - all good info but I'm a worrier and caved in and had to ask. Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Have a great day!

Gonna really try
02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
With the aroma of hot dogs, taco meat, hot ham and cheese and then all those home made treats, i didnt even sample a crumb. Hope my weigh in tomorrow is reflects my will.

Jac

ragdoll74
02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I feel bad I even mentioned the whole cheat thing. Sorry if it upset people. !

No apology needed.

Those of us who have been on IP a while will always try to talk someone out of cheating. There will always be some interesting posts after the mention of a planned cheat. It's all good though because someone will read the posts and take something positive away from it.

Oh my friend-- I KNEW you were the Little Red Hen! You grind your own wheat AND make your own butter?? Plus the homemade yogurt?.... I'm thinkin' of you as our own little Martha Stewart here! :p

:D

Love this!

Hi there. I'm new to the whole online thing but must say reading everyone's posts about so many aspects of IP is great - thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the surgery subject as it's adding to the stress of the whole thing that'set for next week. I can't get my mind off this! I've been without a solid coach almost from day 1. Clinic's coach was nice but never really helped me or reviewed my journal for suggestions. Most weighs (only had 4 with clinic since start in Nov - didn't do well and cheated a lot, stopped during Dec, then picked up in Jan) I felt like it was all about the $$$ and not overall well-being. Since the clinic wasn't helping me lose I started reading 3FChicks, made my own changes with suggestions from all of you, got my food from the clinic, and just started working hard on my own since 1/14/2013. I'm 5'0, 46 yrs old, started at 126.9 down to 111.1 as of today. I'm expecting weight gain due to IV and meds, maybe a bit of constipation - but if I stick OP and drink plenty of water it will come off right? Surgery expected to take 4-6 hours but after recovery I should be good to go home. Having capsulectomy removal both breasts with immediate reconstruction. Dr. is aware I'm on IP and not worried. I was aiming for 110 by surgery and I'm so close. I know I can stay OP after surgery and once cleared for walking on treadmill will feel better. Of course I'll follow dr.'s orders with meds and all, but would like to hear what others have experienced with IP issues after surgical procedures. Saw some posts regarding knee surgery, aving a baby, body lifts, etc. - all good info but I'm a worrier and caved in and had to ask. Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Have a great day!

I've never had surgery so these are just suggestions. If you don't want to phase off, then make sure you prep some food for the first several days. Chop veggies and out them in portioned containers. Pre-cook some proteins and put them in the freezer/fridge so you can just warm them up later. Maybe make a pot of soup that will have your veggies and protein in it so you have some comfort food.
Good luck with your surgery.

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
My boys had tacos for lunch so I took the meat (spiced with a bit o spice and a bit of salsa as they like it plainer than spicy) and am now having my "big mac in the bowl" except it's a "big taco salad" in the bowl! LOL I was gonna put some southwest puffs on top for a spicy crunch, but used them all to make breading for my pork the other day -- that was yummy too!

Taco salads are my fav! I like em better than the Big Mac Bowl. More flavor.

Inflammation also causes weight gain or stalls so stay off the scale for a while, unless you can just observe neutrally. You got great suggestions for prepping beforehand. You need EASY to grab items while you're dealing with the pain of recovery. I had a breast reduction in 99. My recent foot surgery was right BEFORE I started IP.

Asking isn't caving, it is preparing!

Just know any weight gain isn't FAT gain. It'll be water and any constipation. It'll come off as you heal and inflammation decreases. Focus on recovery and not the scale. Much luck to you!

Elle595
02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Thank you so MUCH! Just getting responses makes me feel better already! I packed an overnight bag just in case they make me stay and I put my IP food in there - probably tastier than hospital! lol Went grocery shopping yesterday and am doing a lot of prep food today and freezing it. You all really are the best!!! I feel like finally there's someone listening and helping! I don't want to mess up IP. Have been on so many diets since my early 20's and this is the one I've felt best on. Did HCG this summer, lost it all with injections, only to regain all back and then some because, again,there was no real help at the center I was at. There's a lot to say for being able to talk with and listen to people who are there and have been there. Thank you :)

Mother of the Groom
02-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I think I dodged a bullet on day 3..I had to meet my son 3 hours away to bring him home for reading week. I planned my trip well I thought, I took 3 bottles of water and 1/2 cup of cauliflower from my lunch for a mid afternoon snack.
Along the way I stopped at Tim hortons (thanks to the water) and bought my mom a French vanilla coffee and for myself a cup of apple cinnamon tea..a small victory for me.
After getting to the meet spot, my son was late..not just a little late but an hour plus late. I had planned to be home for supper but now it was getting late..I started to panic on the inside(omg, day 3 and I have to eat out). I drove by restaurant after restaurant trying to think what I could possibly order..finally I stopped at subway. I had a lettuce salad with green peppers and a chicken breast no dressing because I didn't have a clue what to get..I think I stayed on track but holy that was one crappy supper..lol.
What do you all do if unexpectedly you're stuck eating out? What restaurants are plan friendly and what do you usually order?
I'm on day four now and my scale shows 10 lbs down..yippee!

Danif
02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I think I dodged a bullet on day 3..I had to meet my son 3 hours away to bring him home for reading week. I planned my trip well I thought, I took 3 bottles of water and 1/2 cup of cauliflower from my lunch for a mid afternoon snack.
Along the way I stopped at Tim hortons (thanks to the water) and bought my mom a French vanilla coffee and for myself a cup of apple cinnamon tea..a small victory for me.
After getting to the meet spot, my son was late..not just a little late but an hour plus late. I had planned to be home for supper but now it was getting late..I started to panic on the inside(omg, day 3 and I have to eat out). I drove by restaurant after restaurant trying to think what I could possibly order..finally I stopped at subway. I had a lettuce salad with green peppers and a chicken breast no dressing because I didn't have a clue what to get..I think I stayed on track but holy that was one crappy supper..lol.
What do you all do if unexpectedly you're stuck eating out? What restaurants are plan friendly and what do you usually order?
I'm on day four now and my scale shows 10 lbs down..yippee! We went skiing the other day and met some friends up there for lunch. I had the same thought. OMG what am I going to eat...I ended up ordering a burger no bun with a side salad with lemon. I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you did great!! Heading to a funeral in NJ on Thursday and I am really worried being at someone's house. Not sure how this is going to work. Going to bring packets but not sure how to handle dinner...they are Italian..I know there will be lots of pasta and bread!!!

LizJazz
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Has anyone eaten boiled crawfish while on IP?
I had some Friday. I think it made me gain some water weight but it was sooo good!!!

ragdoll74
02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
With the aroma of hot dogs, taco meat, hot ham and cheese and then all those home made treats, i didnt even sample a crumb. Hope my weigh in tomorrow is reflects my will.

Jac

Great NSV! :cp::cp:

Thank you so MUCH! Just getting responses makes me feel better already! I packed an overnight bag just in case they make me stay and I put my IP food in there - probably tastier than hospital! lol Went grocery shopping yesterday and am doing a lot of prep food today and freezing it. You all really are the best!!! I feel like finally there's someone listening and helping! I don't want to mess up IP. Have been on so many diets since my early 20's and this is the one I've felt best on. Did HCG this summer, lost it all with injections, only to regain all back and then some because, again,there was no real help at the center I was at. There's a lot to say for being able to talk with and listen to people who are there and have been there. Thank you :)

I know you want to stay phase I during recovery, but don't beat yourself up if you feel like you can't stick to it. Your surgery sounds like a big procedure. Focus on recovery and try to make healthy choices if you need to go off plan.

We went skiing the other day and met some friends up there for lunch. I had the same thought. OMG what am I going to eat...I ended up ordering a burger no bun with a side salad with lemon. I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you did great!! Heading to a funeral in NJ on Thursday and I am really worried being at someone's house. Not sure how this is going to work. Going to bring packets but not sure how to handle dinner...they are Italian..I know there will be lots of pasta and bread!!!

I've been in this situation before. Had my shake in the car during the drive from the cemetery to the luncheon. I ended up eating a few raw veggies at the luncheon and after we left got a salad at subway. We had a 4 hour drive to get home, so stopped had a steak at a restaurant on the way home.

You can always switch your lunch and dinner so that you aren't wondering if there will be anything OP at the dinner. At dinner you can just have a salad then.

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I find I can eat just about anywhere.

The places I find the least to eat are "dive bars" because I can usually get the salad (only iceburg lettuce mostly) and protein (chicken or I order a burger with no bun) but not usually the veggies. Not only that, but nothing tastes all that good (kinda like the Subway experience...not one of my favorites, esp after reading this: Is Subway Real Food? (http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/06/12/food-babe-investigates-is-subway-real-food/)). If I find myself stuck, I make due & either try to grab some veggies later or chalk it up to having done my best. My coach is in agreement with that attitude, as long as the instances are infrequent.

DH & I are pretty picky about the sources of our foods. At home, we eat mostly organics and locally sourced grass-fed meats/free range eggs. We have personal relationships with farmers. Some of our local farmer's markets have smaller-scale winter operations, as well where I can get colder weather veggies & greens from their greenhouses.

I know we get some of the less-quality food any time we eat in restaurants, unless we eat in a local restaurant that sources their food organically and locally ($$$). We do the best we can and the more we read/learn about the food supply and the choke-hold some of the chemical companies have on it, the more we feel our health depends on it. We do not, however, go to the extreme of avoiding all restaurants. I can't tell you the last time we ate fast food, tho. Oh wait. We stopped at one while on the road traveling with someone else last summer.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I can usually find something to eat just about anywhere, whether it is optimal or not, I can make it work in a pinch. We have some friends that LOVE a certain dive bar. I swear I'm gonna start ordering a ceasar salad (basically a bed of romaine) and just bringing my own meat/veggies! The establishment probably wouldn't even notice! Its just one of those places :)

Danif
02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I see a lot of people on Ideal Protein talking about proti bars...what is that?

Danif
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Great NSV! :cp::cp:

I know you want to stay phase I during recovery, but don't beat yourself up if you feel like you can't stick to it. Your surgery sounds like a big procedure. Focus on recovery and try to make healthy choices if you need to go off plan.

I've been in this situation before. Had my shake in the car during the drive from the cemetery to the luncheon. I ended up eating a few raw veggies at the luncheon and after we left got a salad at subway. We had a 4 hour drive to get home, so stopped had a steak at a restaurant on the way home.

You can always switch your lunch and dinner so that you aren't wondering if there will be anything OP at the dinner. At dinner you can just have a salad then.
Yeah...I'm going to try my best. I'm flying from Utah to NJ and staying with the family of the deceased. It's going to be tough but I am committed. Not drinking is going to be the hardest for me I think.

Mother of the Groom
02-17-2013, 10:22 AM
We went skiing the other day and met some friends up there for lunch. I had the same thought. OMG what am I going to eat...I ended up ordering a burger no bun with a side salad with lemon. I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you did great!! Heading to a funeral in NJ on Thursday and I am really worried being at someone's house. Not sure how this is going to work. Going to bring packets but not sure how to handle dinner...they are Italian..I know there will be lots of pasta and bread!!!

Thanks, It never even occurred to me to order a burger with no bun..bring along a rottini packet to sub as the pasta, I have no idea except will power for the breads(yikes). Good luck, will send positive thoughts your way Thursday.

mrskuby
02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I went to Applebee's last night for dinner and had the garlic steak, sauteed garlic mushrooms and broccoli. It was great! I even resisted the urge to sneak a french frie off SIL's plate (she had crunchy shrimp, fries and cole slaw) It's really not that bad ordering at a restaurant...it def helps if you can look at the menu ahead of time.

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Yes, thank God! My body's been good to me for going on 29 years and 2 babies! God's handiwork deserves some respect!

I think I might actually be multiquoting! Cool. IP43 always like hearing what you have to say.

Good to hear from you. Also like what you have to say. Taking care of our bodies what a concept. Are we maybe growing up??? Realizing we are not invincible anymore. I know it's about time for me. But have a long way to go to be really responsible for my body. Right now I am doing well on IP and stopped smoking a couple of months ago. One step at a time.

Right on! Same for me. Actually I feel very lucky that I am healthy. Have two sisters with medical issues, I am the one who abused my body the most and I luckily haven't had any medical issues yet......Knocking on wood

Good job quitting smoking! I picked up the habit when I started shift work about 8 years ago then had a boyfriend who smoked for years, and my husband smokes now too. It's so hard to quit when he still smokes! It's one of the things that we do together to just sit and take a break for a minute. The fact that I've always been dieting doesn't help either. I always say I'll quit once I lose weight. Ha. And here I sit :) I don't really enjoy it anymore just a bad habit that along with the bad eating habits HAS to stop :)

Well I caved and weighed myself this morning. Lol. Down 3 pounds in only 1 day! Yay! But I'm going to try REALLY hard to stay off the scale til next weekend. When the initial weight loss slows and starts to wobble a bit, I always get depressed. I think I might make my husband hide it for me. Either that or leave it at work.

My family get together went great last night! I didn't have any of the junk that was served and had a double protein shake, my veggies, and salad. I didn't have my chicken there and was going to skip it for the night but when we got home my husband made some stove top popcorn (which I love) for the FIrST time since I met him and on the FIRST day of my diet, he had a craving for popcorn lol. So I had to go ahead and make my chicken at 10:00 at night.

For the day that brings me to 4 protein shakes, 3 servings of vegetables, 2 salads, and the serving of chicken. I had to eyeball that cause my scale broke :(

I'm sure today will be easier since I'll get to be in the comfort of my own home with my own food!

I made a mocha by mixing my protein with a little cool water then adding hot coffee and Splenda this morning. Yum!

KLD81230
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Good morning, everyone!

I, too, tend to be a lurker. I tried posting often for awhile, but decided to sit back and live through the regulars on here. It's sort of like my own personal soap opera minus the bon bons.

Anyway, I just had to share that this morning I saw the scale drop below 140. This is huge for me, as after losing lots of baby weight, I truly hit a 19-week plateau over the summer. A REAL ONE. Not a "Oh, the scale hasn't moved in a week! What do I do?!" I was eating 1200 calories, working out five days a week, sometimes twice a day, running miles and miles. The scale and inches didn't move... for 19 weeks. I literally finished once of my circuit training group classes in tears because I was so frustrated on that measurment day.

Anyway, I had ben hovering around 153-156 for months. Found IP and started up (no coach/clinic, all researched on my own, using alternatives and some IP products) at the first of December. Around the holidays, I fell of the wagon while we were visiting family. Not bad, just enough to make it harder to get back OP when I got home. But I did, and the scale thanked me.

Then... I would find myself doing a few cheats here and there. Tastes. Nibbles. Part of my kiddos PBJ crusts. The scale didn't seems to mind, so of course I belived that I could include those and still be successful.

So I did.

My cheats kept getting a little worse and a little worse. When I would have a bad cheat, I would think to myself, "Well, I guess I'll go ahead and make it realy bad and then be perfect starting tomorrow." That never really happened. The end of January was tough. I saw my weight creep up, and knowing it wasn't actual fat just made me realize it was actually worse - just bloating and glycogen storage from all the sugar/carbs I was eating. I couldn't get a handle on it.

I am going to phase off for our Spring Break vacation in mid-March. I am not at goal, but want to be able to make whole food choices while I'm there. I decided that the beginning of March I will move to my two weeks at Phase 3 and that will lead me right into our trip for 'maintainence' for a week. That gave me motivation to really do well during February. And I have.

But... watching the scale move quickly down (I am a daily weigher, and can do so analytically, so I'm okay with it) has been an eye-opener about those little cheats here and there. My body is responding perfectly now being OP (I do include a little more straight fat right now, and my body seems to appreciate that) and it has been amazing to see the journey in these short months. I have not seen the 130s in who knows how long (certainly not since I was pregnant with my first kiddo almost seven years ago) so this is emotional, just like those reaching onederland!

I really don't care who cheats with what on their own diet journey. I sometimes feel like people post about their cheats to get the "oh, it's okay, get back up and start anew!" pat-on-the-back. I wonder if that just makes it easier for them to slip backwards the next time... and the next time. But it's their journey.

Some of us have very real drives for needing to do this, needing to finish this, and needing to do it as quickly as possible. Some of us maybe don't have that drive. If they feel like they are doing the best they can, and are okay with spreading it out longer than necessary, then they should do what works for them. It's their journey.

I personally love the 'tough-love' AT TIMES. It just gives me that reminder that this isn't forever - that the real test comes with maintenance. I don't belive we'll see some of these tough-lovers back saying, "ack! I lost it all and gained it back... and then some!!". They will be continuing into Maintenance Vol. 3500!

Anyway... my scale today brough a big smile to me face. Today is a huge test - snowboarding all day with my family. We can't take all our littles out at the same time, so we hunker down in the lodge and take turns getting runs in. Spending lots of time sitting at the table with my kids snacking and eating has been the hardest on this journey, and these are my mess-up days! I am determined not to blow my streak, as I want to see 138 tomorrow morning!

Have a great day!

Sammie12
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi everyone been off the boards for a week. Just got power, etc where I live in Mass after the storm. I can say you dont want to drink water when you are cold. The whole week was a wash out for me trying to stay on IP without power & heat. The good thing is I only gained 1/2 a pound. Today is a new day an back on track. I see I have a lot of reading to do on the boards but glad to be back.. =)

mompattie
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM

LOL! Far from Martha, LOL! Plus I've never been in jail :o

Jac

Good for you!!! When I'm in that same situation I look at that food and say: you cause cancer, you make my arteries clog up, you make me fat, you taste yummy but I am yummier and worth more than YOU!! And then I think, why are we selling this to our kids? LE sigh. At my sons elem school, we are offering booth items like water bottles, frozen yogurt tubes, popcorn, fruit. No chips or bars at all. We're making progress!M

I'm on day four now and my scale shows 10 lbs down..yippee!

I live in Sask, and find eating out a breeze. Quick stops I like subway veggie delight salads and a protein bar, or even double meat (I get the shaved roast beef), Safeway has an awesome salad selection, I often will run into a groc store and grab a small veggie tray for myself, I try and stay away from fast food joints like mcd's their salads aren't very tasty. Sit down meals I have found almost anywhere serves a lean protein with veggies. I ask for no oil on my meat, nothing added to the veggies either and double veggies. Favourites are red lobster, Boston pizza, the keg, Montana's. I have a bar stashed in my car and my purse too, so if in a desperate pinch I always have some thing along, and can eat later at home.

IP43
02-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi there. I'm new to the whole online thing but must say reading everyone's posts about so many aspects of IP is great - thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the surgery subject as it's adding to the stress of the whole thing that'set for next week. I can't get my mind off this! .....Having capsulectomy removal both breasts with immediate reconstruction. Dr. is aware I'm on IP and not worried. .... Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Have a great day!

Grrrr -- I typed up a big response and lost it ! LOL So now you get the "short" version:

Before:
--Check about your vitamins. Some surgeries you're not supposed to have Vitamin E (?) because it thins your blood and makes clotting harder. I'm not 100% on which vitamin, but I'd ask my dr. about that.
-- One vitamin that is GOOD for healing and reducing bruising is Arnica and you can take it by mouth or as a cream. Again, ask about taking it BEFORE the surgery but it may speed up healing afterward

PREP work: Get what you can get done before so people can wait on you hand and food ;)
-- make up a big batch of IP pancakes, separate into serving sizes and freeze
--if you're a soup lover, make up some veg purree soups that can be heated as your "2 c of veggies" or add the IP soup to it for a full IP meal
--have veggies cut into snack sizes and buy pre-made shakes so that you have quick grab and go snacks.
-- if you have time to make some cookies or muffins from the shake packs, they'll freeze ok too.
-- I'd have hubby bring you a cooked chicken and pre-made salads for a day or two if you're the main cook. You don't want to be getting up and about too much

AFTER: My breast surgery was a reduction, and I was up and about very soon but I took lots of time to heal. I was surprised how mobile I was. Your surgery sound more extensive so just be ready to let yourself heal!

-- Be prepared to be emotional. My friend gave me that advice and she said that my body would be in shock and mourning lost parts, so even though I might not realize it before the surgery, be prepared for that emotion after. One day when I was sobbing and totally emotional, and I couldn't really figure out why, that "advice" came back to me and I just enjoyed the sobbing and emotion, realizing it was part of the healing process. Never thought about my "body" having a mind of its own, but when you think of amputees that still feel limbs etc. our body/mind really is an interesting thing

We're here for any support -- if you feel up or down -- just come visit! We'll be sending healing prayer thoughts your way. :hug:

ragdoll74
02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
KLD81230 congrats on making the 130's!

I get how hard it is to sit in a lodge while your kids snack. My 9yo son's favorite part of skiing is hot chocolate, snacking and playing in the arcade. My 12yo daughter on the other hand is on a downhill race team, and only come in for a quick bite to eat, then back out on the slopes.

IP43
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Good morning, everyone!

I, too, tend to be a lurker. I tried posting often for awhile, but decided to sit back and live through the regulars on here. It's sort of like my own personal soap opera minus the bon bons....

My cheats kept getting a little worse and a little worse. When I would have a bad cheat, I would think to myself, "Well, I guess I'll go ahead and make it realy bad and then be perfect starting tomorrow." That never really happened. The end of January was tough. I saw my weight creep up, and knowing it wasn't actual fat just made me realize it was actually worse - just bloating and glycogen storage from all the sugar/carbs I was eating. I couldn't get a handle on it.

....I personally love the 'tough-love' AT TIMES. It just gives me that reminder that this isn't forever - that the real test comes with maintenance. I don't belive we'll see some of these tough-lovers back saying, "ack! I lost it all and gained it back... and then some!!". They will be continuing into Maintenance Vol. 3500!

Anyway... my scale today brough a big smile to me face. Today is a huge test - snowboarding all day with my family. Have a great day!

Thanks for sharing today and have fun skiing! I agree one hundred percent with what you said, that that was my danger of 'little cheats' -- it doesn't seem a big deal but they DO creep up on you. I really think I may have been on "day 1-3" for the entire month of Jan and part of Feb! lol That's a LONG time to try to get into Ketosis!

I loved the "maintainer 3500" thread -- I plan to be on that one! ;)

Totally random thought but all these "dreams" of people cheating and I go and have a "food dream" last night. For all the moms of young boys out there, I felt like "Po" from Kung Fu Panda (Ah, my son, you finally had the noodle dream!) BUT I am proud to say MY dream was of trying to find an IP meal! I kept hitting KFC after KFC searching desperately for a friendly restaurant. I finally went to a Harveys (burger place) and made a salad out of their shredded lettuce/pickles/tomatoes etc. I never even remember my dreams so I woke up laughing. Poor DH -- I bet he wishes my dreams were of something OTHER than makin' a salad! :devil:

IP43
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Good morning, everyone!

I, too, tend to be a lurker. I tried posting often for awhile, but decided to sit back and live through the regulars on here. It's sort of like my own personal soap opera minus the bon bons....

....I personally love the 'tough-love' AT TIMES. It just gives me that reminder that this isn't forever - that the real test comes with maintenance. I don't belive we'll see some of these tough-lovers back saying, "ack! I lost it all and gained it back... and then some!!". They will be continuing into Maintenance Vol. 3500!

Anyway... my scale today brough a big smile to me face. Today is a huge test - snowboarding all day with my family. Have a great day!

Thanks for sharing today and have fun skiing! I agree one hundred percent with what you said, that that was my danger of 'little cheats' -- it doesn't seem a big deal but they DO creep up on you. I really think I may have been on "day 1-3" for the entire month of Jan and part of Feb! lol That's a LONG time to try to get into Ketosis!

I loved the "maintainer 3500" thread -- I plan to be on that one! ;)

Totally random thought but all these "dreams" of people cheating and I go and have a "food dream" last night. For all the moms of young boys out there, I felt like "Po" from Kung Fu Panda (Ah, my son, you finally had the noodle dream!) BUT I am proud to say MY dream was of trying to find an IP meal! I kept hitting KFC after KFC searching desperately for a friendly restaurant. I finally went to a Harveys (burger place) and made a salad out of their shredded lettuce/pickles/tomatoes etc. I never even remember my dreams so I woke up laughing. Poor DH -- I bet he wishes my dreams were of something OTHER than makin' a salad! :devil:

EDIT POST SCRIPT: How come the one I TRIED to save, didn't, and this one duplicated!? ShEESH!

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Then... I would find myself doing a few cheats here and there. Tastes. Nibbles. Part of my kiddos PBJ crusts. The scale didn't seems to mind, so of course I belived that I could include those and still be successful.

So I did.

I am going to phase off for our Spring Break vacation in mid-March. I am not at goal, but want to be able to make whole food choices while I'm there. I decided that the beginning of March I will move to my two weeks at Phase 3 and that will lead me right into our trip for 'maintainence' for a week. That gave me motivation to really do well during February. And I have.

But... watching the scale move quickly down (I am a daily weigher, and can do so analytically, so I'm okay with it) has been an eye-opener about those little cheats here and there. My body is responding perfectly now being OP (I do include a little more straight fat right now, and my body seems to appreciate that) and it has been amazing to see the journey in these short months. I have not seen the 130s in who knows how long (certainly not since I was pregnant with my first kiddo almost seven years ago) so this is emotional, just like those reaching onederland!

I really don't care who cheats with what on their own diet journey. I sometimes feel like people post about their cheats to get the "oh, it's okay, get back up and start anew!" pat-on-the-back. I wonder if that just makes it easier for them to slip backwards the next time... and the next time. But it's their journey.

Some of us have very real drives for needing to do this, needing to finish this, and needing to do it as quickly as possible. Some of us maybe don't have that drive. If they feel like they are doing the best they can, and are okay with spreading it out longer than necessary, then they should do what works for them. It's their journey.

I personally love the 'tough-love' AT TIMES. It just gives me that reminder that this isn't forever - that the real test comes with maintenance. I don't belive we'll see some of these tough-lovers back saying, "ack! I lost it all and gained it back... and then some!!". They will be continuing into Maintenance Vol. 3500!

Anyway... my scale today brough a big smile to me face. Today is a huge test - snowboarding all day with my family. We can't take all our littles out at the same time, so we hunker down in the lodge and take turns getting runs in. Spending lots of time sitting at the table with my kids snacking and eating has been the hardest on this journey, and these are my mess-up days! I am determined not to blow my streak, as I want to see 138 tomorrow morning!

Have a great day!

Thank you for mentioning this and congratulations on the 130's! I have been successful at diets in the past, dropped about 15-20 pounds, then lost focus and thought, "oh I don't have fat person syndrome anymore, I can have self control and get right back on track". That has NEVER been true.

That is awesome you stayed on plan for 19 weeks with no loss. What an achievement. Every pound that I lose is a victory. If we lose some today and only maintain tomorrow (or for 19 weeks :) ) we STILL have today's victory to enjoy.

Crred96
02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi all...today is my 3rd day on IP...I'm doing good so far...have found some food I like a lot...only one thing that I couldn't stomach (chicken noodle soup). Yesterday-day 2 I had a headache and was hungry in the afternoon but I feel better today. I'm very excited about this journey..and glad I found 3FC. I've enjoyed going over the recipes and hints for newbies like me.

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi all...today is my 3rd day on IP...I'm doing good so far...have found some food I like a lot...only one thing that I couldn't stomach (chicken noodle soup). Yesterday-day 2 I had a headache and was hungry in the afternoon but I feel better today. I'm very excited about this journey..and glad I found 3FC. I've enjoyed going over the recipes and hints for newbies like me.

Hi Crred! I'm new also and this is only day two for me :)
Feeling good so far though :) is this your first time on ip? I was really discouraged initially when I saw the price for the ip food but was excited to find all the alternative info and sheets for newbies!

Crred96
02-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Crred! I'm new also and this is only day two for me :)
Feeling good so far though :) is this your first time on ip? I was really discouraged initially when I saw the price for the ip food but was excited to find all the alternative info and sheets for newbies!

Hi there! Yes this is my first time...I have a friend who has been doing it since November and having great results and she said that it is worth it. I was going to the store 3 and 4 times a week spending $$$ on junk..plus going to fast food places...and I figured that I will be spending about the same on IP food. I thought I Can Do This!

JudithL
02-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Welcome!! After the first few days, you will settle into a routine and even better - you will see some results to motivate you! I recommend a bit of caffeine (maybe coffee?) for the headache, especially if you are a former soda/coke/pop drinker. My favorite coffee: make the chocolate shake and pour in your coffee for a nice mocha drink, I have one of these every day! Like you, I also cannot stand the chicken noodle soup, but I like the broccoli cheese soup if I add veggies to it.

Welcome to the group!!! Glad you are here!!!

BrittStar027
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM

What i wouldn't give for foresight! I just think back to all the time and money i wasted after falling off the wagon. I guess it just goes to show how we tend to be our own worst enemies.

I like your viewpoint on your current body. I've been trying to be more positive about where i am now versus wishing i could be something i am currently (but working towards) not. I'm tired of beating myself up over the past and am ready to look to forward to a healthier and happier future.

It amazes me now (i never thought about it before) how in control i feel when i'm OP. Whenever i would "indulge" (aka binge eat terrible garbage) i felt terrible. Not only mentally, but physically. IP makes me feel good physically as well as mentally. I'm in control of what i put into my body and in return i'm rewarded with not only weight loss, but a positive attitude.

JudithL
02-17-2013, 12:27 PM
I just ate a pile of green blob that was supposed to be zucchini muffins... I need to stick with the tried and true recipes from you guys and stop experimenting on my own!!! This was not my first green blob incident, either... There have been others. At least it sort-of tasted muffinish even though it resembled alien slime.

This makes me greatly appreciate you recipe queens that post your creations on here! Thank you!!!

Crred96
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Welcome!! After the first few days, you will settle into a routine and even better - you will see some results to motivate you! I recommend a bit of caffeine (maybe coffee?) for the headache, especially if you are a former soda/coke/pop drinker. My favorite coffee: make the chocolate shake and pour in your coffee for a nice mocha drink, I have one of these every day! Like you, I also cannot stand the chicken noodle soup, but I like the broccoli cheese soup if I add veggies to it.

Welcome to the group!!! Glad you are here!!!

Thank you! I'm not a coffee drinker but did have a Pepsi now and then. I'm sure it will get better.

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I just ate a pile of green blob that was supposed to be zucchini muffins... I need to stick with the tried and true recipes from you guys and stop experimenting on my own!!! This was not my first green blob incident, either... There have been others. At least it sort-of tasted muffinish even though it resembled alien slime.

This makes me greatly appreciate you recipe queens that post your creations on here! Thank you!!!

Lol @ alien green blob!
I've had some blobs for omelets and blob pancakes. I've also burned my share of kale chips.
For muffins, I just use the recipe I found here for packet muffins & add a cup of zucchini. They turn out great! Only issue ive ever had is if they weren't completely cooked...then I had blob in the middle.

rofl306
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Lol! That happens in my kitchen too! No more zucchini in muffins for me!

I'm not going to post long because using a mobile. I laughed many times today reading the posts. You are all hilarious and full of fun.

Have a great day!

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 12:58 PM

I've already had breakfast and am "patiently" waiting for lunch time. Somehow I thought "mmm green blob sure sounds nice about now :) "
Glad they were edible at least lol.

MonicaKolesnik
02-17-2013, 01:01 PM

Lol @ alien green blob!
I've had some blobs for omelets and blob pancakes. I've also burned my share of kale chips.
For muffins, I just use the recipe I found here for packet muffins & add a cup of zucchini. They turn out great! Only issue ive ever had is if they weren't completely cooked...then I had blob I'm the middle.

I still have not tried making any muffins because even before IP I was terrible at the baking. Muffins would turn out hard as rocks, nit set or burn :dizzy:. Cooking I seem to be rocking at though because everytime I bring my supper to work my co-workers comment on how good it smells and tell me I should bring enough for all. I keep saying to them "see diet food can be yummy" :D

MonicaKolesnik
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
It was funny this week that Nashua Nutrition screwed up my order and instead of double stuffed cookie syntax nectar I got the flavor crystal sky :mad:, I was upset cause I had been waiting to try this recommended flavor, and had no idea what a crystal sky would taste like. Nashua gladly refunded my money and the funny part is I actually really like the crystal sky, its like blue kool-aid but more fruity. (I loved the blue stuff as a kid) plus the 0 carbs and 23grams of protein don't hurt either. Sometimes mistakes can be a good thing ;)

I had a great day yesterday, went out for a nice day in the city with my husband, it was fun and romantic, everything we wanted but on top of that I felt great and looked great to me, I spent to whole day in heals and bought a new pair that were on sale (I did not even own any pre-IP) it was the first time I really felt smaller and sexier ( having my husband unable to keep his hands off helps that ) I think it was because there were so many accomplishments I made diet wise this week, a total of 80lbs lost and under 200lbs :D and all that with work kicking my a** :kickbutt: Sorry for the long post but I had to share.

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 01:35 PM
It was funny this week that Nashua Nutrition screwed up my order and instead of double stuffed cookie syntax nectar I got the flavor crystal sky :mad:, I was upset cause I had been waiting to try this recommended flavor, and had no idea what a crystal sky would taste like. Nashua gladly refunded my money and the funny part is I actually really like the crystal sky, its like blue kool-aid but more fruity. (I loved the blue stuff as a kid) plus the 0 carbs and 23grams of protein don't hurt either. Sometimes mistakes can be a good thing ;)

I had a great day yesterday, went out for a nice day in the city with my husband, it was fun and romantic, everything we wanted but on top of that I felt great and looked great to me, I spent to whole day in heals and bought a new pair that were on sale (I did not even own any pre-IP) it was the first time I really felt smaller and sexier ( having my husband unable to keep his hands off helps that ) I think it was because there were so many accomplishments I made diet wise this week, a total of 80lbs lost and under 200lbs :D and all that with work kicking my a** :kickbutt: Sorry for the long post but I had to share.

How nice you got to have such a nice day with your husband! I know that my husband will always tell me I look beautiful no matter what I look like but it feels SO GOOD to know when you look and feel great! Enjoy that feeling! And Yay! New shoes are just icing on the metaphoric cake! :)

bellasamimom
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi Everyone,
I started IP almost 2 weeks ago. I am finding it the easiest diet I have done. The first week was rough but now I feel great!!

I am a Proud Navy wife and it can be a challenge when I have to go to Navy functions but I am trying to plan ahead and take my own IP food.

The other BIG challenge for me is that my two DD are swimmers so on meet days we are at the pool from 7:00am until 5:00pm. Yesterday I planned ahead and it worked great :D

I have found for myself it works really well to save my restricted for about 4:00pm and have the southwest cheese curls. Feels like I am not on a diet!!

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone

I'm watching an interesting series of YouTube videos

The Men Who Made Us Fat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-H__aIEFE)

I'm on part 3, it is when they start talking about how bad sugar is. Parts 1 & 2 are good too!

1LittleStar
02-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I had a bit of a zucchini muffin disaster today too! Must be the day. I don't thnk I cooked them enough. I've made them in the past, and they really are great, so don't give up on them yet.

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I had a bit of a zucchini muffin disaster today too! Must be the day. I don't thnk I cooked them enough. I've made them in the past, and they really are great, so don't give up on them yet.
Works best for me if I pre-sautee the zucchini first. I didn't do that today so I'm baking my muffins a bit longer.

JudithL
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Works best for me if I pre-sautee the zucchini first. I didn't do that today so I'm baking my muffins a bit longer.

If we are what we eat, I might be a zucchini soon. I put them in everything, but my favorite way to eat them is to saute julienne strips of them... I swear it's 1000 times better than pasta ever was. I try to make people at work try them and they look at me as if I am insane, but I'm really just trying to take over the world and spread my zucchini obsession.

With these muffins, I tried to puree the zucchini and put a paste in the muffins... yeah... don't ever do that.... unless you want green muffin blobs...

maezy1
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM

Hey Ellie - I had the knee surgery in December. I was told to go off of IP for the surgery and expect to be off for 2 weeks afterwards. I was all set for it only I had to be on pain meds. The meds took my appetite away completely.
I had to start walking the day after my surgery although I was on crutches or a walker for a while. Just be good to your body and give it what it needs.
If you have to eat off program please do not consider it a cheat. Depending on how you recover your doctor may tell you to eat more of one type of food. My dr wanted more dairy and whole grains for at least a week. (ok he didn't get it but....) Just take it one day at a time and don't give up the pain meds too early! take them for at least the first 48 hours then see how you feel. The pain med rec came from several friends of mine who are drs. You wont get addicted to anything by taking it for a week or 2 after surgery (my concern because I was on Oxycontin and dilaudid) And finally, get online whenever you feel well enough and let us know how you are doing!
Idealproteinewbie I am with ya on the roasted veggies. I just finished making rutabaga fries for the week for my lunch!
Had an interesting discussion with my hubby. I was talking about the new gadget someone found for making the zucchini into s'getti. He said something about me only being on IP for 4-5 more months so do I really need it. I realize jsut how much i have learned from IP becuz I told him yes. Even though pasta will be back in my life it will be on a very limited basis and I didn't intend on giving up on the veggies and how I use them in place of carbs after I came off of the program. Get ready 4th of July!!! Rutabaga fries for me!!!!

maezy1
02-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Monica CONGRATS!!!! Amazing results for you!!!! blue sky sounds good!!!

ragdoll74
02-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Everyone,
I started IP almost 2 weeks ago. I am finding it the easiest diet I have done. The first week was rough but now I feel great!!

I am a Proud Navy wife and it can be a challenge when I have to go to Navy functions but I am trying to plan ahead and take my own IP food.

The other BIG challenge for me is that my two DD are swimmers so on meet days we are at the pool from 7:00am until 5:00pm. Yesterday I planned ahead and it worked great :D

I have found for myself it works really well to save my restricted for about 4:00pm and have the southwest cheese curls. Feels like I am not on a diet!!

:welcome3:

Great job on planning! IP is easy to follow when you are prepared, and really challenging when you aren't.

lisa32989
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
If we are what we eat, I might be a zucchini soon. I put them in everything, but my favorite way to eat them is to saute julienne strips of them... I swear it's 1000 times better than pasta ever was. I try to make people at work try them and they look at me as if I am insane, but I'm really just trying to take over the world and spread my zucchini obsession.

With these muffins, I tried to puree the zucchini and put a paste in the muffins... yeah... don't ever do that.... unless you want green muffin blobs...

I grate mine with an old fashion hand-grater
Then I sautée a bit first (didnt today)

And I'll be a zucchini or a head of cauliflower. Since zucchinis are slimmer, that's my choice!

Since I need to be gluten-free now, zucchini (or broccoli slaw) pasta are probably the only ones I'll have going forward.

RoslynsMom
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I am so sorry I mentioned cheating. I guess I justified it because DH and I haven't been out since last summer. To answer someone's comment about why didn't I have the veggies. Well I have to balance all this. I am on Coumadin so I couldn't eat their veggies cuz they were broccoli and last week my inr was only 1.2. Not good. Too many vitamin k veggies. Puts me at a huge risk of blood clot in the lung. The part that amazed me was that I didn't want any more potato. Before I would have scarfed the whole thing down. Plain baked potatoes have been a favorite since I was two...maybe part of my downfall. I have to admit the next morning my body did want some carbs- my daughters blueberries for lunch but it felt good to get right back on and be able to say no to them. DH and I have been on the diet for a month now and that was our only cheat. We are back to following it exactly. I haven't tried rutabaga fries or cauliflower rice. Where do I find the recipe?

NinjaNurse
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I am so sorry I mentioned cheating. I guess I justified it because DH and I haven't been out since last summer. To answer someone's comment about why didn't I have the veggies. Well I have to balance all this. I am on Coumadin so I couldn't eat their veggies cuz they were broccoli and last week my inr was only 1.2. Not good. Too many vitamin k veggies. Puts me at a huge risk of blood clot in the lung. The part that amazed me was that I didn't want any more potato. Before I would have scarfed the whole thing down. Plain baked potatoes have been a favorite since I was two...maybe part of my downfall. I have to admit the next morning my body did want some carbs- my daughters blueberries for lunch but it felt good to get right back on and be able to say no to them. DH and I have been on the diet for a month now and that was our only cheat. We are back to following it exactly. I haven't tried rutabaga fries or cauliflower rice. Where do I find the recipe?

I don't think anyone has to say they are sorry for the discussion that took place Fri/Sat. It's a forum for discussing in the 1st place. If we all agree and did things exactly the same, what need would there be to discuss anything??
If we can only share triumphs and not struggles here, what's the point of being here for each other???:?::hug:

ssfit
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
PLEASE GIVE ME THE SWIFT KICK THAT I NEED!!!!

I keep putting off starting "until tomorrow." And tomorrow isn't ever coming. Each morning I start out strong...completely OP. Usually I'm still very compliant for lunch. Then...for some reason, around 2 p.m. I start justifying why I should just have the carb that I want (i've had some stressful days/weeks...always seems to be something). I cave & then I continue to eat until bedtime. I have gained a lot of weight back in a very short period of time. I want to cry. What advice do you have for me? I know I just need to do it...maybe it's just that I know that once I'm in ketosis...there's no going back. According to my coaches...I was their "star client." I was 100% OP for 3 months. I just hate that I've blown it, and I'm embarressed to go see them. I do have my appointment with them on Thursday.

ultramommynine
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

I keep putting off starting "until tomorrow." And tomorrow isn't ever coming. Each morning I start out strong...completely OP. Usually I'm still very compliant for lunch. Then...for some reason, around 2 p.m. I start justifying why I should just have the carb that I want (i've had some stressful days/weeks...always seems to be something). I cave & then I continue to eat until bedtime. I have gained a lot of weight back in a very short period of time. I want to cry. What advice do you have for me? I know I just need to do it...maybe it's just that I know that once I'm in ketosis...there's no going back. According to my coaches...I was their "star client." I was 100% OP for 3 months. I just hate that I've blown it, and I'm embarressed to go see them. I do have my appointment with them on Thursday.

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. :(
I'm new so I hope I'm not overstepping, but I totally feel where you are coming from and I have said it to myself so many times. I know how hard it is to keep letting yourself down and how hard it is to stop. When I read your post my heart broke for you (and for me) cause I know how hard it is to want something that is so far from easy. But your post inspired me. Because I don't want to feel the way that you do right now ever again and I don't want you to either! Print out the post you just wrote and hang it on the fridge, and the pantry, and the dashboard of your car and wherever else you might need to be reminded that IT IS NOT WORTH IT. I wish there was a pill we could take to make the horrible feelings after a slip up go away but there isn't. The only thing that will stop it from coming back is sticking to plan. If you HAVE to eat and it's not time ( because hunger does happen after all.) better to make a smart choice and have extra protein or veggies then to wait until you're starved and ready to eat ANYtHING!

Again. I hope I wasn't overstepping myself, but I KNOW WE CAN DO THIS! Don't let yourself down! Think what you will have achieved when you reach your goal. Carbs can't possibly compare with that victory.

-jess

IP43
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM

WELCOME TO MY IP43 RECIPE BOOK! Green slime is a regular creation! -- along with the burnt chips. BUT here's my suggestion: I made my first batch using just a shake mix and someone else's suggestion to drain them with paper towel a bit, and they made lovely succulent hockey pucks. Lisa said she doesn't drain them, so I tried that next, and alien slime was born. I also think someone said they mix one shake mix and one oatmeal cereal to make it a denser batter, so that's my next attempt. Don't give up! (And when you get it figured out, get back to me!)

I did add zuchinni to the shake mix to make as cookies and that was a nice chewy cookie. I also chopped up a restricted bar once, and used some of the chunks to make a choc chip/caramel nut cookie. That was pretty delish -- but a waste of a good restricted, so I don't do that often

Halfagain
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM

I keep putting off starting "until tomorrow." And tomorrow isn't ever coming. Each morning I start out strong...completely OP. Usually I'm still very compliant for lunch. Then...for some reason, around 2 p.m. I start justifying why I should just have the carb that I want (I've had some stressful days/weeks...always seems to be something). I cave & then I continue to eat until bedtime. I have gained a lot of weight back in a very short period of time. I want to cry. What advice do you have for me? I know I just need to do it...maybe it's just that I know that once I'm in ketosis...there's no going back. According to my coaches...I was their "star client." I was 100% OP for 3 months. I just hate that I've blown it, and I'm embarrassed to go see them. I do have my appointment with them on Thursday.
Hi Ssfit! I'm not the tough love sort of person - but I know what you are going through. I do not say any of this with that tough love attitude but as an encouragement - please don't take this any other way. Time and again I would fall into that same routine you are describing on other diets. What has kept me on track with this one?

This is the first time I have kept a food journal - faithfully. I don't know that this is a huge help since I have no coach to turn it in to. I have shared it with other 3FC friends and even if they don't read it, I know they can. It keeps me more on the straight and narrow (thanks my friends).

About three month into IP, I had very strong temptations and cravings but I was fortunate to see thru the gremlins whispering (okay shouting) in my head that I "needed" something that was off plan. Those gremlins were stress related - and eating is no longer my way of dealing with stress - or rewards. It was like my blinders came off and I saw it for what it was when I realized what was driving me and I got busy and found another outlet. I took the garbage out or got the mail - heck I even did dishes to get out of my stress zone. I took up knitting again, I took the dog for a walk, I talked things out with my boss at work (okay vented more) and took ideas from him.

I have read posts of people who mourn (cried over) the loss of their old comfort foods while on phase 1. Honestly in maintenance we can not go back to how we ate before at the exercise level we had. But it's not like we can't ever have certain foods again there is a free day a week in maintenance. Eating like I was in the past I mourned my health, and being able to wear normal clothing, to even go to movies or baseball games and fit in the seats. You aren't the size I was, but each of us have our own reasons for wanting to lose weight - just as important to you as it was to me.

You need to look at where you were when you started - how you felt, do you want to feel like that again? I know your answer is "no" - you have already said that, but if you don't get control of your gremlins - find another outlet, you will go back. Look ahead, picture your new size, your new goals in your mind. Use positive affirmations. I made a goal chart. Not only tracking how much I've lost, but projected out loosing 2 lbs a week - I put dates to those week, I put milestones with those dates. I adjust those goals and dates as needed, but I have a mission that speaks louder than my cravings.

You can do this! :hug:
Barb

ladylunk
02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
QUOTE FROM ULTRAMOMMYNINE[/B]Good job quitting smoking! I picked up the habit when I started shift work about 8 years ago then had a boyfriend who smoked for years, and my husband smokes now too. It's so hard to quit when he still smokes! It's one of the things that we do together to just sit and take a break for a minute. The fact that I've always been dieting doesn't help either. I always say I'll quit once I lose weight. Ha. And here I sit :) I don't really enjoy it anymore just a bad habit that along with the bad eating habits HAS to stop :)

Well I caved and weighed myself this morning. Lol. Down 3 pounds in only 1 day! Yay! But I'm going to try REALLY hard to stay off the scale til next weekend. When the initial weight loss slows and starts to wobble a bit, I always get depressed. I think I might make my husband hide it for me. Either that or leave it at work.

My family get together went great last night! I didn't have any of the junk that was served and had a double protein shake, my veggies, and salad. I didn't have my chicken there and was going to skip it for the night but when we got home my husband made some stove top popcorn (which I love) for the FIrST time since I met him and on the FIRST day of my diet, he had a craving for popcorn lol. So I had to go ahead and make my chicken at 10:00 at night.

For the day that brings me to 4 protein shakes, 3 servings of vegetables, 2 salads, and the serving of chicken. I had to eyeball that cause my scale broke :(

I'm sure today will be easier since I'll get to be in the comfort of my own home with my own food!

[/QUOTE]

Hi. Good job at the get together last night and getting through the popcorn. That must have been hard so early in. So pat yourself on the back

Me and husband also both smoked together and quit together. We used the champix drug and I reccommend it. Also in the first while when adjusting to social gatherings or just when craving we used those disposable flavoured vapour fake cigs. They worked! I always had excuses about losing weight because I knew when I quit I would just gain more anyway. Well we finally decided to just do it and the money saved from quitting would go to ideal protein. So here we are.

I don't think anyone has to say they are sorry for the discussion that took place Fri/Sat. It's a forum for discussing in the 1st place. If we all agree and did things exactly the same, what need would there be to discuss anything??
If we can only share triumphs and not struggles here, what's the point of being here for each other???:?::hug:

I wish there was a like button for all of your wise input this weekend.

Having a hungry day and a little concerned for tonight, but I left myself about half a cup of veggies and if my snack later is not enough I will make some roasted cauliflower "popcorn" to get through. Worried about keeping to the half cup. Also ate dinner early which I don't like to do as getting through the nights are always hardest. So I think there will be lot's of tea for tonight.

Enjoy the holiday tomorrow for those who have one.

IP43
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM

I keep putting off starting "until tomorrow." And tomorrow isn't ever coming. Each morning I start out strong...completely OP. Usually I'm still very compliant for lunch. Then...for some reason, around 2 p.m. I start justifying why I should just have the carb that I want ...

[COLOR="blue"]QUOTE FROM ULTRAMOMMYNINE[/B]Having a hungry day and a little concerned for tonight, but I left myself about half a cup of veggies and if my snack later is not enough I will make some roasted cauliflower "popcorn" to get through. Worried about keeping to the half cup. Also ate dinner early which I don't like to do as getting through the nights are always hardest. So I think there will be lot's of tea for tonight.

I've been in both your situations -- just said somewhere else I've done day 1-3 for about a month and a half LOL (okay--not funny). BUT it was frustrating! A few things that helped:
1) I did start tracking meals on an online site so I could see how many carbs etc I was having -- and I put in the "cheats" too -- made me see how those affect all my work
2) I know people say they eat lettuce if necessary and I did that one night when I had the "hungries" -- ripped up lettuce chunks and ate them like "popcorn" so I could feel fuller and satisfy that "snack action". It worked!

Now that I'm back in ketosis it's sooooo much easier. I'm not 100% yet because I'm so bad at my water and vitamins but I'm handling the food part now, and finally, the scale is going down, which is rejuvinating.

I also am wearing a "loose" pair of pants as I like the feel of feeling skinny. It's reminding me why I'm doing this! LOL

Hope that helps. Please know you're not alone, not the only one, and stop beatin' yourself up! Just, as Larry the Cable guy would say "Get 'er dun!"

NinjaNurse
02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
ssfit: I agree with pp's. The 1st few weeks are tough, it's almost like going through the lost of a loved one. I was ANGRY the 1st few weeks at what I couldn't have. My Friday night pizza and wine was ritual. Now, I still look at the pizza, almost over the new ritual sniff:dizzy: but I plan to treat myself other ways. Now when my husband and and daughter get their Friday night pizza, I make myself scallops, or shrimp something I LOVE but don't make everyday. YUM.

It will get easier.

ladylunk Thank you. Like I said, I have been on my other board for almost 10yrs. It's all women and sometimes it's like they are all PMSing at once. But, at the end of the day, most of the time, they forget differences and band together. One of the members passed away rather suddenly last year. People who had never met gathered to go to her funeral, met up at various places in MA to remember her.

ssfit
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Ultramommynine, Halfagain, ip43 - THANKS SO MUCH!! Your support was so timely. I've gone thru the cabinets & tossed junk. I will be back in ketosis by this weekend!!! I need to remember how great it feels to be on plan!! Thanks again!!:hug:

PS. I'll post my progress by Wednesday!

ssfit
02-17-2013, 08:38 PM
ssfit: I agree with pp's. The 1st few weeks are tough, it's almost like going through the lost of a loved one. I was ANGRY the 1st few weeks at what I couldn't have. My Friday night pizza and wine was ritual. Now, I still look at the pizza, almost over the new ritual sniff:dizzy: but I plan to treat myself other ways. Now when my husband and and daughter get their Friday night pizza, I make myself scallops, or shrimp something I LOVE but don't make everyday. YUM.

It will get easier.

ladylunk Thank you. Like I said, I have been on my other board for almost 10yrs. It's all women and sometimes it's like they are all PMSing at once. But, at the end of the day, most of the time, they forget differences and band together. One of the members passed away rather suddenly last year. People who had never met gathered to go to her funeral, met up at various places in MA to remember her.

Thank you!

DJ72
02-17-2013, 08:50 PM
I love roasted cauliflower. And roasted broccoli is pretty yummy too. I just had that with chicken breast for supper. I can tell TOM is lurking because I feel snacky today. Just drinking lots of water and roobias tea. Saved my bar for tonight! Oh.... Treated my hair to a hot coconut oil treatment today and feels great. The extra protein has to be good for it!

LexiChanel1
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
All, are theses chips restricted? Net carbs are 9

Diaz
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Hello everyone! Does anyone know what vitamins follow after finishing week 4?

IP43
02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh.... Treated my hair to a hot coconut oil treatment today and feels great. The extra protein has to be good for it!

Did you use the cooking coconut oil that Rainbow always advocates ;) I just bought some of that - the one where you can taste the coconut. Haven't found the tasteless one yet. But if I don't like it, I may use it on my hair! :fr:

IP43
02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Hello everyone! Does anyone know what vitamins follow after finishing week 4?

I don't understand the question. It's the same you've used since day 1 if you're on the IP plan. However, they often recommend the "Novicleanse treatment" after 4 weeks, and then again after every 25 lbs. It includes a liquid and pills to take as an internal cleanse. Some of the other vitamins, like the Antioxys, are "recommended" but not mandated.

Does that help? Were you thinking of the cleanse?

LexiChanel1
02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks for answering my question:)

De11s
02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
A friend invited me to a women only red carpet Emmy Awards party next Sunday, I already had a dress from earlier this summer that should fit even better now, but didn't have shoes to match, I found the perfect pair on clearance @ Kohls, was so very excited. I have been needing to pick up a pair of jeans or 2 to get me through until I can get into some smaller jeans I have saved in the closet from when I dropped a lot of weight ding HCG injections a couple of years ago on my own. (Gained almost all 50 lbs back:cry:. So as a reward to myself for 25 lbs down I went to Maurices and bought myself a trendy pair of jeans, while I was there I decided to grab a pair in the next size smaller as the original pair were fitting quite well, I got home and tried the smaller pair on and much to my amazement I not only could get them on but I actually got them buttoned and zipped (with quite the muffin top) but oh what a feeling!! Sorry for the long boring post but I was so very excited.:carrot::carrot:

Ojenchilada
02-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Thrilled that I followed through with my plan for tonight's cheat: 100 restaurants and 400 wines to be sampled at the ginormous Reliant Center.

I walked probably 2-3 miles, drank 8 12-oz bottles of water, had one 4-oz glass of champagne, one bite of pie, and 6 bites of beef, chicken, and shrimp. No, it wasn't 100% OP, but it was consistent with my plan for tonight, was a responsible cheat, and made me feel empowered.

My rings are tight, so I expect a gain tomorrow, but I wasn't derailed. And I had a wonderful time visiting with friends and strangers... and awesome people watching. I am just very happy and ready to be back 100% OP tomorrow!

Ojenchilada
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
A friend invited me to a women only red carpet Emmy Awards party next Sunday, I already had a dress from earlier this summer that should fit even better now, but didn't have shoes to match, I found the perfect pair on clearance @ Kohls, was so very excited. I have been needing to pick up a pair of jeans or 2 to get me through until I can get into some smaller jeans I have saved in the closet from when I dropped a lot of weight ding HCG injections a couple of years ago on my own. (Gained almost all 50 lbs back:cry:. So as a reward to myself for 25 lbs down I went to Maurices and bought myself a trendy pair of jeans, while I was there I decided to grab a pair in the next size smaller as the original pair were fitting quite well, I got home and tried the smaller pair on and much to my amazement I not only could get them on but I actually got them buttoned and zipped (with quite the muffin top) but oh what a feeling!! Sorry for the long boring post but I was so very excited.:carrot::carrot:

Not boring at all! That's awesome!

ladylunk
02-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Did you use the cooking coconut oil that Rainbow always advocates ;) I just bought some of that - the one where you can taste the coconut. Haven't found the tasteless one yet. But if I don't like it, I may use it on my hair! :fr:

Hopefully you will like cooking with it. Great flavor to Meat and veggies. I like for roasting veggies and fried cauliflower rice or stirfry. I pretty much use for everything even omelet. I only use the olive oil uncooked usually on salad. I need to do the hair thing too. Sounds lovely.