Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Default Bit of a rant..Sorry!

Does anyone else have someone in their life who tries to outdo them on their weight loss journey? My cousin and I have always been the big girls in the family, but while she's a yo-yo dieter, I haven't been well (PCOS, hypothyroidism, the works) so I haven't found something that works until very recently.
What annoys me is that everytime I mention anything to do with my diet/weight loss/training she brings it right back to her.

Do you all have any tips on how to deal with this situation? I just hate the competitive edge. I'm not doing this to compete with her, I'm doing this for myself so I'm just really struggling with this whole competitive streak from her.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I make it a point to NOT tell anybody I am dieting, this keeps the diet police at bay as well as stops all unwanted comments.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #3  

I agree with Bargoo, I am keeping it to myself this time.

I don't need the peanut gallery questioning what I am eating (or not eating), drinking (or not drinking), asking how much I lost this week (or didn't), etc.

I think it might be a good strategy for you. Just start following your new plan and do your own thing. I think it might take away any stress of the so called "competition" and you will look and feel great!

Good luck!! Your secret can be safe with us.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

I did have this a lot with my aunt for a while, but truth be told, I guess you could take a little pleasure in the fact she's a yo-yo dieter? I know it sounds a little horrible, but you're doing this for good (I assume) and she might get stuck again.

I think the bottom line is that you just need to do it for you and take the hits as they come. It can be frustrating when people are trying to one-up you, but just stay positive and don't let people who judge or criticize end up affecting your thoughts! I know it's hard, but ultimately you're the one who you're doing it for.

I guess another way is just to sort of ignore those comments. Like if you mention something and she starts making it all about her, just change the subject.

Sorry if that didn't make sense or come out right!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/140 ish

Height: 5'7

Ask about her. Not specifically her weight, just in general - how is she doing?

If she's looking thinner, ask what she's doing. Don't tell her unless she asks, and if she does say, "you're looking thinner!, Just say, "thanks".. next, when she invites you out for whatever your culinary weakness is, say, "no thanks". Because if she's really competitive, she will need to fatten you up.
SCStxRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStxRN View Post
Ask about her. Not specifically her weight, just in general - how is she doing?

If she's looking thinner, ask what she's doing. Don't tell her unless she asks, and if she does say, "you're looking thinner!, Just say, "thanks".. next, when she invites you out for whatever your culinary weakness is, say, "no thanks". Because if she's really competitive, she will need to fatten you up.
Thank you ladies I really appreciate the positive vibes from all of you. It's easier because she's in the UK and i live in Spain, but we chat on whatsapp and her kids facetime me all the time, so it's not like i can just turn my phone off, so the whole dinner thing isn't really an option.

I guess a little part of me is jealous, because she lets life get in the way of things, and I've always always always struggled with weight loss.

But I'm feeling positive and I can't let her get to me, I'm too determined this time to let anyone get in my way.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote