Atkins - St. Patrick's Day Challenge

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day Challenge

Lulu NH
02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
:goldpot:Starting the St. Patrick's Day Challenge!! My goal is 8 pounds and sticking to my exercise routine - I stuck to plan for WOE but I lost exercise days during the last month!!!

Forevermercy
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm down... I changed my Tracker!
Good luck! :)

rho1640
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
changed my tracker - and I am in!

StephanieM
02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm in! I guess I'll set my goal at 159. I'm going to be losing more slowly since I haven't worked out since I started working. Hopefully I can get back at it soon.

163.2 this morning :)

Forevermercy
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
StephanieM congrats on your new job!

swinegeart
02-17-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm in! I never finish these challenges but this time I am! I need to! Goal--> 15 pounds. (Shouldn't be too high, I have A LOT to lose!)

Lulu NH
02-18-2013, 03:15 AM
Just checking in - the scale hasn't moved but my 22W dresses are very loose. It was quite a surprise because they were so tight before - think "overstuffed pillow". I had to wait two weeks in January too to see the scale move but I keep repeating to myself "you weigh less than last month". I spent some time with my Atkins book this weekend to make sure I was sticking to plan - I am but I think I need to watch my portions. Still dreaming of Onederland!!!

Bobbette78
02-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Hello I'm new and would love to join the challenge. I'm going to set my goal at 6 pounds and to walk 5 days a week.

:D

Lulu NH
02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Sticking to plan but lots of temptation this week. It did feel good to walk outside this morning!!! I look forward to it now as an outlet if I am feeling frustrated!

StephanieM
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Forevermercy!

swinegeart, good luck! It is a high goal but if you have quite a bit more to lose it might be more realistic :)

Lulu NH, that's great! It's your clothes that will tell your progress the most :)

Welcome Bobbette78! That sounds like a great goal! Making an exercise goal is usually the best way to make sure you hit your weight goals.

StephanieM
02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Well, despite not working out, I still managed to lose weight! I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. I am sticking to my diet. I'm at 162.6!

I'm a little sad I never hit my VDay goal of exercise minutes but the hives took me out for awhile.

I have gotten my ID card for work finally, which means I can join the gym at work! I'll have to talk to someone about setting that up tomorrow. My husband drops me off over an hour before work starts and even if I walk on the treadmill for half an hour it's still calories burnt. I've also thought about playing Just Dance after my daughter goes to bed. I'm too tired for an hour of weight lifting, but doing something fun like that seems more appealing.

So I'm also going to aim for 400 minutes of exercise until St. Patty's day!

Violet73
02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
ok, I'm in. I'm back on track with low carb eating. Lexapro is wonderful!!!! :)))) Low carb eating would lower my mood and carbs gave me that quick serotonin release. I don't need that anymore and I feel great on low carb now! I'm ready to stick with this challenge. I'm going to try for 15 pounds this challenge.

How do you guys feel about posting our weights once a week so we can see how everyone is doing weekly? Even if there is no loss, it's still a good visual thing to have :) What do yall think? Like say start this next Monday and everyone post their weight and then I can make a post with your name and your weight loss for the week? Sound ok?

rho1640
02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
I swear I come in here to read every day even if I don't post -- that stuck was getting to me and I have been just cranky about weight for awhile I never went off plan and just kept plugging along but cranky cranky cranky -- I'm thrilled to be able to write -- down .4 today -- maybe it is the start of my body kicking into gear again .. I hope I hope I hope

Stephanie - you are doing fabulous and congratulations on the job AND a job that has a gym to boot :D

Vi -- yay so good to see you back - I'll post my weight on Monday with you

StephanieM
02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Violet, since I'm busy with work I'll usually weigh in daily if I can, or sporadically. rho, you are doing great as well! You have come so far, and sometimes the loss slows down when we get closer to goal :) I'm hoping to join the gym there soon!

StephanieM
02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
162.4 today, still headed down slowly :)

Bobbette78
02-22-2013, 09:50 AM
I shoveled snow for two hours last night, counting that as my exercise! (So sore today I'm trying to not groan out loud every time I move....lol.)

rho1640
02-22-2013, 04:41 PM
I swear we need a LIKE function on posts - there are so many I like or LOVE but feel funny just saying yay or congratulations or any other one word sentiment as a post

Stephanie -- YAY
Bobbette --- YIKES 2 hours of shoveling - YIKES!

Lulu NH
02-23-2013, 06:44 AM
StephanieM - Thanks for the encouragement!!! I am so happy to report that the scale finally moved to 210 - I can see Onederland just over the horizon - such a big deal for me because it has been such a long, long time since my last visit to Onederland!! Still seems so much slower this time but the scale is going in the right direction!!! So far I have met 2 of my 8 pound goal - 6 more til St. Pat's - very encouraged to stay on track!!!

rho1640
02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
StephanieM - Thanks for the encouragement!!! I am so happy to report that the scale finally moved to 210 - I can see Onederland just over the horizon - such a big deal for me because it has been such a long, long time since my last visit to Onederland!! Still seems so much slower this time but the scale is going in the right direction!!! So far I have met 2 of my 8 pound goal - 6 more til St. Pat's - very encouraged to stay on track!!!

doing great! I remember the day I hit onderland - I actually took a picture with my phone to celebrate it -- then I came out of the bathroom doing a happy dance after composing myself in the bathroom and stopping the tears from leaking out of my eyes --

futurehealthyme
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I am back! I had a bad week around V Day and ate lots of carbs.
Got right back on it and am happy to report that I am down 17.5 total.
I am eyeing a dramtic loss by end of May....We'll see how much I lose and NEVER find again :D by St Patrick's DAy!
All the best to everyone!

Lulu NH
02-24-2013, 04:13 AM
rho1640 Thank you for the kind words. Your story is very powerful and makes me want to stay on track!

futurehealthymeCongratulations for getting back on track and your 17.5 loss - getting derailed is my biggest fear. It's been hard at my house this weekend when I could smell fresh bread and my family was cooking a pizza!!

Sticking to plan here. I went out and bought a pair of 20W jeans to get by because the 24W and 22W are too loose to stay up correctly. I think I may be in these pants for the next 15 to 20 pounds?! but i'm not sure. One of my goals is to be able to buy at the top of the Gap again - and I have to be a solid 18 to do that!!

Violet73
02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey guys! Today is weigh in day for those of you who want to do this and keep track every week of your weight. My digital scale isn't working. I have to be honest I haven't weighed in a while so idk how long it's been broken :( I'll have to weigh in tomorrow after I go buy one today. We can make weigh in days on Mondays or Tuesdays. It doesn't matter to me. I think it would be a great way to keep track of how we are doing and may help keep us accountable ;)

Bobbette78
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm actually up half a pound over last week, grrr.... And we're supposed to get another 6-12 inches of snow tonight so I have more shoveling to look forward to. Not a good Monday!

PrettyMom09
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Hello ladies! I am having a great Monday! I started exercising this weekend, and I feel pretty good. I started out slow, but I know I will build endurance fast. I went to Walgreens during my lunch break and bought some vitamins. I am ready to go. I went up 4 pounds last week because I started eating carbs, but I am back on track this week.

Have an awesome week!

rho1640
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
today was a beautiful day - ran a ton of errands an got lots of steps :D

I actually weigh a few times a week - so you might see my stats chance that often - I found that for me once a week made me crazy - I could lose great then on weigh in day I'm up -- my body is dumb - as an example - yesterday I hardly ate - it was a crazy day - this morning I was up 2 lbs -- I know it is some weird thing that will resolve itself in a day or two but no way am I recording that as my weight lol

rho1640
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm actually up half a pound over last week, grrr.... And we're supposed to get another 6-12 inches of snow tonight so I have more shoveling to look forward to. Not a good Monday!

it really can be from all the snow removal you did just keep plugging along and in a bit (after you have to do it again ugh) you will get a great whoosh -I bet - your muscles are holding on to water most likely from the strenuous exercise --

now to go be sure this storm isn't heading my way later in the week ...

StephanieM
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone! I had a planned indulgence meal on Friday that rolled out of control. I decided to let myself have sushi for lunch as a treat for getting my first paycheque. The night before I thought 'I'm cheating tomorrow, why not cheat a little now?' and got into some peanut butter cups. Then we were supposed to go out to dinner on Saturday with my in laws (was going to have sushi again) but they cancelled. Instead of taking the opportunity to get back on track (was low carb the whole time except these meals), I had a peanut butter cup blizzard and a salad from DQ.

But I'm on track now, for realsies! haha. Weighed in at 163.0 this morning. I'm aiming for about 30 net a day and I've decided to allow myself some foods from OWL since I've been doing induction on and off for too long.

It's nice being back at work, everyone tells me how great I look, but then again I got hired there when I was 20 weeks pregnant, and I'm over 20 lbs lighter then when I got hired and not pregnant! haha.

Violet73
02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
With all that snow some of you are getting it makes it hard to stay on plan cause you're stuck in the house and comfort food is sooooo good! I have yet to try the cauliflower "potatoes", but I've heard if you do them right they are really good and are a good substitute for the real thing. hang in there everyone! Spring is around the corner :)

PrettyMom09
02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I did my walk this morning!! I had to get up at 4, so I could do it before work. I've given up coffee, so it will be hard to stay alert the rest of the day. I'll just have to drink lots of cold water.

Have a great day!

Bobbette78
02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! It's snowing pretty good here now, my work decided to close today. So I'll just enjoy the snow until I have to go start shoveling later. Luckily I don't have anything off-plan in the house so won't be tempted by anything. :)

PrettyMom09
03-01-2013, 09:37 AM
It's March 1!! Spring is almost here. I have been doing a 20-30 min walk at least once a day every day, and I feel great. I know it's not much, but it is a step in the right direction. I have been sticking to plan. I have a lot of stress at work, so that might not be helping my weight loss, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Have an awesome weekend!

rho1640
03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
It's March 1!! Spring is almost here. I have been doing a 20-30 min walk at least once a day every day, and I feel great. I know it's not much, but it is a step in the right direction. I have been sticking to plan. I have a lot of stress at work, so that might not be helping my weight loss, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Have an awesome weekend!

Yay for March 1st!! now if we could see a little sun today it would be perfect..

I feel that any movement is good - it doesn't matter if it is 10 min or and hour or more - I'm trying to work back up in my steps - after a achilles tendon flare - it is going slow -- but it is going :D

PrettyMom09
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Not only it is March 1, but it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Rho! The achilles tendon flare sounds painful, hope it gets better soon.

Lulu NH
03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Up 2 pounds and it is my own fault - not indulgences but portion size this week. I'd like to be able to report 209 at some point in the next 2 weeks sticking to plan - mini goal for me!! I did walk alot this week and I feel great about that!!

Food is taking up my waking and sleep time - I even had a dream last night that I was ordering dessert in a restaurant and then changed my mind and said "No Thanks!"

Plan for this week: Portion control and food/excercise diary

rho1640
03-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Up 2 pounds and it is my own fault - not indulgences but portion size this week. I'd like to be able to report 209 at some point in the next 2 weeks sticking to plan - mini goal for me!! I did walk alot this week and I feel great about that!!

Food is taking up my waking and sleep time - I even had a dream last night that I was ordering dessert in a restaurant and then changed my mind and said "No Thanks!"

Plan for this week: Portion control and food/excercise diary

I use an app on my phone called Loseit to log my foods - I think that just keeps me aware of what I am eating to log it - it has become habit to me now so I don't stress about it --

try upping your fat a little - it will help you feel fuller -I put a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee when I drink it even - and be sure to drink enough water ...

And remember if you have upped your exercise recently your weight may go up a bit in the beginning - my non scientific reasoning is your body holds on to water when you first start exercise or if you do something different like shovel snow or something -

just keep plugging away it will happen -- tweak your portion size but don't stress about it - maybe download the Atkins shopping list (I think it is called that) for the level you are on and just eat those foods (that helped me) and if I am hungry between meals I grab 5 or 6 olives, an ounce of cheese cut up and 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes that I cut in half and I have that with a glass of water - eating it slowly -- I find that it is helps 98% of the time - I like the green olives because they have a sharp taste that sometimes takes care of any cravings and all the fat in the snack makes you feel happy too -- and if I am still by chance hungry I will make a cup of coffee -

Believe me I know frustration - I have been stuck since August playing with 2 lbs - up then down then up -- I think I may have finally broken thru it and am hoping tomorrow to get into a new decade of numbers - I would LOVE to be near or at goal on June 1st which is my 2 year anniversary of LC'ing -- I just realized yesterday that It has been that long and I cannot
believe it - I have occasional feelings of I want something (like frying up potatoes, onion and peppers last night for hubs) but it is momentary - then I melt some butter and add some blue cheese to it and stir it up and pour it over my steak to go with my veggies and think to myself - this is a diet? and I get on the scale and lose weight the next day and smile to myself about my poor deprived self :D

PrettyMom09
03-04-2013, 09:10 AM
My scale was up 3 pounds this morning, but I'm hoping it's just water retention. I've been walking every day, and I already feel less tired after I walk. My food choices were not too bad this weekend, but judging by the gain, I'm sure they could have been better.

Lulu- good luck trying to control portion sizes, you can do it!

Rho - congratulations on breaking your plateau!

Bobbette78
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm down a pound but have been bouncing up and down between 198 and 201 for what seems like an eternity. (Ok, two weeks.) I'm down four pounds from where I was a month ago, I know I should be happy....just impatient I guess and want to see the scale go downdowndown instead of downupdownup.

But on a good note, Spring is on the way!!!

SunnyDC
03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm not gonna officially join because I just came back and this challenge is already well under way. But I am gonna be counting down to 165lbs by st. pat's day. I'll catch the next one from the beginning and officially start with everyone else.

Good Luck!

Lulu NH
03-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Rho/PrettyMom Thanks for the support!!! So happy to report 210 this morning!! Going in the right direction again!!I never thought about exercise "holding on" to weight so that really gave me something to think about!!

Bobbette I can honestly say I can't wait to have your problem and for my weight to start with a "1". I agree downdowndown is where we all want to be!!!

SunnyWelcome!!

StephanieM
03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Hey guys! Just a quick check in :)

I weighed in at 161.4 this morning, I couldn't believe it! Since I've been doing induction on and off for so long (over a year now) I decided I should just up my carbs to prevent me from needing this big cheat blow outs. I'm eating around 50-60 g net a day and still losing and feeling great :)

Bobbette78
03-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Stephanie that's awesome!!!

SunnyDC
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks Lulu NH!

StephanieM
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Bobette!

I hope everyone is doing well. Not quite sure I'll see 159 in the next 10 days but still feeling good and doing well.

StephanieM
03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Thought I would take a break from low carb for a few days and I feel like crap. Why don't I remember this each time it happens? Going to induction levels again.

Lulu NH
03-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Hi Everyone - Just checking in - 209 this morning!! So happy to change my ticker!!! Moving slowly in the right direction!! Looking forward to 208!!

Bobbette78
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Well I don't think I'll get to my 6 pounds down by St Patty's but I'm happy to be down 2 pounds this week. I've been dealing with a painful problem tooth, so have only walked once in the last 3 weeks. 5 dentist visits in the last 3 weeks, had it filled twice, then a root canal, then ended up having it pulled yesterday. But I'm proud to say that I didn't go off plan once during that ordeal and the scale seems to be moving in the right direction once again. So even if I don't meet my goad I'm still considering it a win!!

synger
03-12-2013, 03:55 PM
My St. Patrick's Day challenge every year is to leave enough corned beef for my hubbie. I LOVE corned beef!

Lulu NH
03-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi Everyone - Checking in again because I'm down again today - usually seems like a long wait before I see the scale move - but I am happy to report 208 this morning!!! I am realistic and expect to be here at 208 for a little bit. I feel like I am getting less anxious about the scale which is really good for me!! Still dreaming of Onederland!!! Patiently waiting for my size and weight to both start with 1's!!!

rho1640
03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi Everyone - Checking in again because I'm down again today - usually seems like a long wait before I see the scale move - but I am happy to report 208 this morning!!! I am realistic and expect to be here at 208 for a little bit. I feel like I am getting less anxious about the scale which is really good for me!! Still dreaming of Onederland!!! Patiently waiting for my size and weight to both start with 1's!!!

YAY!!! you are doing great!

StephanieM
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Looks like everyone is doing great!

I've been so bad lately. I guess being back at work and around bad influences makes it harder to stay on plan then when I was home alone with my daughter. We had an extra long lunch because it was test day and we ended up getting unhealthy snacks and hot chocolate.

Today I went back down to induction levels. I need to break the sugar streak I've been on. I'll most likely not make 159 in the next three days, but that's okay. Not the first challenge I missed! I think the last one was the first I met.

On a positive note, on Sunday I started working out again and I've worked out four days since then (taking a break today as I'm not feeling so great). It's nice to feel sore muscles again.

California17
03-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Even though I didn't participate in this challenge, is anyone up for another one considering today is St Pat's? I'd love to join in on the fun and support :)

Lulu NH
03-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Happy St. Pat's!!!! Ending this challenge at 208!! Not at challenge goal but I am super ok with that because I weigh less now than I did last month!! According to my calendar/weight loss, overall with averaging I'm at a 2 pounds per week weight loss. Still sticking to whole foods and don't feel the pull to eat off plan but sometimes my portions are still larger than they should be which means slower loss.

Rho - Thanks for the support!!!!

StephanieM
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Saw 160.6 yesterday! Pretty close to 159 so I'm happy :)