Support Groups - Steel Magnolias #40

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias #40

QuilterInVA
02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Good morning, ladies! 50 degrees right now and rain.

Daffodils are starting to bloom! What a wonderful harbinger of spring.

Nothing happening but more headaches at work. Eventually I'll get it taken care of and that's what counts.

I did have quilt guild last night and that was fun.

Faye, no one wants surgery but if that's what it takes to get better, so be it. You have really suffered with this stuff. I've had many open surgeries - 4 for bowel obstructions, 1 kidney, 1 hernia, 1 gallbladder, and 1 appendix. Then the 2 foot surgeries and tonsillectomy and deviated septum surgery. I hope I never have to have another!

Jean, you money can get stoolen writing checks easily because your check passes through many hands and anyone of them can get the routing information and account number off the bottom of your check. They are saying there will be no more paper checks by 2020.

Maggie, you and Will always find the best bargains. I hope your garden rewards your efforts with bushels of produce this year. The farmers' market will be opening in May and I can't wait.

Have a wonderful day!

Maggie
02-13-2013, 01:57 PM
♪♥♫ GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

We checked our supply of seeds and have several packets of heirloom and can purchase the rest of our list of seeds that we will plant this year. The gentleman at the nursery said to start our seeds inside the middle of next month so in the meantime Will is getting the ground outside ready. We will also purchase some plants from the nursery when they get them in.

We have just gotten back from running errands all day morning. It is a good day to get things done around here. It is to be in the high 40º and 50ºs this day and just a breeze and not that wind that loves to sweep across the plains. I’ve got some cube steaks out to thaw for dinner and a box of au gratin potatoes to fix. I have salad greens in the fridge so dinner is planned.

Not much doing this day here in the ♥-Land. I’ve got some housework that needs to be done so I will be working inside this afternoon.

SUSAN How nice that your daffodils are starting to bloom. I can just see them in my minds eye. :p We also hope we get some nice produce out of the garden this year. If not, it won't be because we didn't try and do all we could for it to flourish. It was a truly a good find to get that trailor and the price was right for he gave us a great deal. The gentleman had purchased several from the auction and was selling them for a bit of a profit but not gouging folks. We had seen them for twice the amount we paid for this one and not in as good of shape either. The farmers market here has most of it's prices higher than the store does and the produce doesn't seem any better at all.

Have a lovely day Magnolias :wave:

Jean
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Good Evening, Flowers! It was a beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunshine ALL day with a light breeze. It was warm enough to melt a lot of snow and the ice in my little metal bird bath. I expect to see the first robin pretty soon. I had lunch bunch this noon and there was only two of us so that was kind of nice to just sit and visit. Tonight I am a happy camper because I was able to get my pc back on wireless status. :p When in doubt read the instructions several times and then start the process over from the beginning. I know I didn't have this much trouble the first time. :rolleyes:

Susan -- It's a good thing you know how to solve the problems being thrown your way at work. :yes: When we go out to eat we notice that young people, or couples, often have their cell phones out either reading or texting. On Facebook today, there was a quote by Albert Einstein, "I fear the day when technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." There is already talk about the lack of personal conversation skills and the disappearance of eye contact when people are together. I know paperless is in the future but I don't have to like it. ;)

Maggie -- It sounds like you had the start of a nice day running errands in nice weather. :D I hope you got everything done that you wanted to this afternoon.

I have clothes to put in the dryer for a few minutes and then think I will head to bed and read. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow! :wave:

Maggie
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
♪♥♫ GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Happy Valentine’s Day Magnolias ♥.

I hope you don’t get tired of me talking of our new utility trailer but this surprised me about it. :yes: Some of the information that Will found on it included the price which the government originally paid for it was a hefty $3894. We also know what year it was built and that tells us it has been sitting around for quite a number of years not being used.

I am enjoying a breakfast Panini sandwich and ff sf latte as I type. Will brought them to me before he had to leave to visit a lady in the hospital then off to his volunteer job at the museum. I think for dinner I will make some oven baked boneless pork chops along with some au gratin potatoes and a leafy green salad. I can have that ready for when he gets home this evening if I time it right. :cp:

I had forgotten to put my q-tips in a closed container and they were all over my office floor again today. That cat loves to bat them around and Beanie likes to chew on the cotton tips. I will do that today. The ones that aren’t chewed up I can use but the other ones get trashed. They are for my glass work so they don’t have to be sterile like if I was using them for medication application or such. The cat may find something else here on my desk to deposit on the floor now. I keep most of the little things in containers so he can’t do much damage. Whoever filled my coffee cup filled it too full and when I took my first sip it poured all down my front even soaking my bra. I should have checked it before taking a drink of it for you can’t fill this container to the top but have to leave some space. Maybe I will remember to check it next time. :yes: Must have been a “new girl” that fixed it today for all the regular gals know by now to not fill it to the top.

I am telling you those folks that send those “do you need a loan” e-mails are coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches in the night. Wonder what they do with all that personal information they require you to give them ~ well I really don’t wonder, for they aren’t doing nice things with it for they do like draining bank accounts for whatever amount they can get or selling the information. There are companies that would buy such a marketing tool. I “block & bounce” them as fast as I get them in. Several a day in fact ~ and different ones pop up as quickly as you delete the others. I now have tons of them in my “block” file. Such is life as it is on the internet highway. What would we do without computers. I can do without a TV but ~ well I don’t want to do without my computer.

JEAN It is about time you got some decent weather for a change. AH the robins ~ wish we had such birds like that in the plenty. Only one or two came around last year. Well with the tin foil stips we hang in the apple tree to keep the birds out of our crop may have something to do with them now coming around. We also hang strips on the bottom limbs of the tree to keep the birds from eating the strawberries that grow in a bed at the base of that tree. We have to put up a temorary fence around the garden also to keep the rabbits from enjoying the produce. We only have to fence two sides for we have the garden in a corner plot. Are you doing any gardening this year? Container gardening would be a good way to go if you don't want to dig up your yard. Being wireless is great. I only keep mine plugged in to keep it charged so when the "lights go out" I have a full charge. It receives it's internet connection from a box out in the front room.

Jean
02-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Happy Valentine's Day, Flowers! When I turned on the computer tonight . . . no wireless. GRRRRR! So Bob and I did the same routine as last night and it finally connected. I'm wondering if I need a new router except both the laptop and iPad have worked fine. This morning I went to church to do part of my Tuesday computer posting for the automatic bank checks; a couple people dropped their pledges big time which surprised me. Then I hit the two grocery stores to the tune of $160 and headed home. A friend stopped by after lunch and we visited for a couple hours so that took care of the afternoon. Bob was late getting home so will probably go out for supper tomorrow night.

Maggie -- I have been getting a lot of "check your credit rating" emails as well as the loan ones. I can't find where/how to block them on my email program. :mad: Ernie likes to play with toothpicks that Bob leaves on the end table by his chair. I try to watch and keep them picked up as I don't know if Ernie would bite one in half and get it stuck in his innards or not. We probably won't plant anything in pots except flowers. The rumors have it that we will have another dry summer and may not be able to even water flowers. Last summer we could only water early in the morning or after the sun went down, no car washing, or lawn sprinklers, etc.

Guess I will head off to bed and read for awhile. I have lab work first thing in the morning, and then will be making lasagna for Saturday. Have a fantastic Friday! :val1:

Maggie
02-15-2013, 12:46 AM
♪ ♥♫ GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS☺♫

JEAN When water is short ~ when we shower we save the water that is used that runs until it is hot enough to shower and do that at the bathroom sink and kitchen sinks also. We save the collected water in a large plastic trash can in the back yard. We also catch the rain water from the runoff of the house in a plastic trash can. It fills up quickly when we do get a nice rain. You would be surprised how much water you can collect those ways. We use it for watering the inside plants and garden outside and even car washing. :p We save the water from the house faucets in washed out milk plastic jugs. Yep if your kitty injested a toothpick it may cause some problems. He may just want them to bat around like Cecil does with the q-tips. I get a lot of those credit rating things also and block them also. Your mail program may not have a "blocker" to use. The one I use is called IncrediMail Premium.

I am now fixin' to call it a day and go cut some zzzzz's.

Have sweet dreams Magnolias :wave:

gma22
02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Good morning to you gals. I haven't been able to get in here for the last two days for some reason. I would load the site and it would time out everytime and I would start over and here we go again. It was the only site I had trouble with but I ran my speedy pc program to clean it anyway and nope so I have catch up to do.

No surgery for me, yippeee. This is what happened on Wednesday. I talked to my dr and another one just to make sure we were on the same page. Both doctors agreed that my d and c's biopsies and such all show I have a healthy uterus that the spotting is a hormonal issue. As to the diahrrea, she lowered my dosage in half again and I seem to be doing ok on it so far and this is the third day. Before I would start in with loose stools within 24 hours of taking the first pill. Nothing can be done about the hunger and they both told me the same thing that the med I am on is the best for what is going on with me. The consulting doctor told me she knew I didn't want to hear it, but it would eventually stop on its own. I am going in March 3 into the doctor's office and having a biopsy just to make sure everything is still healthy. Our plan of action is 3 months on 3 off of the hormones and each time I start hormones, I will have a biopsy to make sure no cancer cells have formed until I am not having any symptoms at all anymore. I am ok with that since I don't have to have another d and c. The consulting dr told me that from my health issues ie the colon and hernia surgeries, that removing it should be a last resort. She said the same thing that my doctor had told me last time that it is very likely the colon has attached itself to the back of my uterus, which in itself is harmless pretty much but removal unless it was cancer or some other issue should be avoided if possible because of the risk of cutting into the colon on accident. I am relieved and feeling ok since I am back on the meds so we just have to take a wait and see attitude.

Fortune is at the vets for yearly shots and I am having him just bathed and his nails clipped. I am fed up with the groomer cutting him too short and am going to find another groomer even if it makes it awkward taking Fortune into the vet's when I am not having him groomed there, but he doesn't listen to me and half the time Fortune comes home a mess. I imagine it will cost me a great deal more, but I want him to look decent. Last time it looked like he hadn't even trimmed his ears at all.

I have a Walmart, Fresh Market and possibly Kroger run this morning for dinner tonight. It depends on what I can get where. Then home and hopefully Fortune will be done.

I will answer posts and such tomorrow. I have stuff I have to run and get done this morning before the snow starts. I don't know how much or if, but don't want to get caught in the store if it starts snowing and all the idiots think they will be housebound and come into the store.

Have a nice weekend all. Faye

QuilterInVA
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Good morning, ladies! Sun is shining and it's headed for 60 this day. Trees are budding and my nose is running so back on the allergy meds.

We are getting a Whole Foods here. I really look forward to that for they have wonderful produce and meats. All organic.

Sandy, Donna and I are going to lock in at Bella's tonight. Dinner at VA Barbecue but I have a vegetable plate since I don't eat meat on Wednesdays or Fridays in Lent and they don't have fish. They have wonderful collard greens.

Faye, I glad you have escaped the surgeon's scapel. Have you ever thought about biodentical hormone replacement? That is tailored to your body. We have a Walmart Market Place that opened the first of the month. It only has groceries, no deli or bakery, drive through pharmacy. I see a van around touwn that does pet grooming at your home (in the van). I always wonder how much that costs. Please keep your snow. We don't have in the forecast.

Jean, I hope you don't suffer another drought this summer like last year. So far we are 2.5 inches of rain ahead of last year at this time - and last year ended up 14 inches more than average. Lasagna sounds really good, especially homemade.

Maggie, Like you, I have to keep all small things in containers or Casper considers them to be playthings. He makes up the best games for himself. That's an excellent idea to catch rainwater and excess water in the house. We used to rinse our hair in rainwater when I was growing up

Have a lovely day!

Jean
02-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining again today! It was 11 degrees when I went downstairs this morning, :brr: and supposed to hit high 40s on Sunday. I had lab work done this morning and met with the doctor an hour later. I was totally shocked! All the numbers that were supposed to come down, did, #s too. I figured vacation and wine would play havoc with all of them. I'm making lasagna today, need to vacuum the fur/dust bunnies, and sort through toys the kids "picked up" at Christmas. At least I know things start out orderly and together with like pieces.

Maggie -- You have good ideas to conserve water. Our hot water is fast so don't know how long it would take to fill a milk carton. :dunno: There's no way we could wash a car with "saved" water as law enforcement watches that closely. What is strange though is that the car wash places do stay open.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you had a good doctor's appointment and hope the new plan works well for you. I know you are relieved about the surgery part and I sure don't blame you on that. Have fun running errands -- hope you find everything on your list. :yes:

I need to get started on my cooking endeavor. Have a great day and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie
02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
♪ ♥♫ GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is in the 20º area as I type and “they” say we will get rain/snow at 2 in this afternoon. Hope it is rain that we get and it does rain. We can use the moisture as can lots of other states across this good ole US-of-A. :yes: Let the :rain: come down. Tomorrow evening we have an event to attend at the museum. Will is being honored as the volunteer of the year and being inducted onto the board for he won that position on the election at the last meeting we attended. They will have the dinner catered in and I am sure it will be yummy. Last year they had some great BBQ pulled pork that I made a sandwich of and passed up the other things that were offered that looked so good but also looked like they had lots of P+s in them. Life is all about choices wherever we go isn’t it.

I don’t have a clue just yet what I am going to make for dinner here but will decide in time to get what it is thawed in time for it to be cooked. It may be a day to indoor grill some steaks for I think we have a couple of potatoes to bake and lots of greens to make a salad. I love salads but Will isn’t as fond of them but tolerates them. He always eats one when we go out for a meal though. I must say that now he is trying to lose weight he has been eating more fruits and veggies and very few candy bars. His old habits are slowly getting changed. :lol: That is what WW says ~ to slowly change old habits and replace them with new ones that are better for us. That’s an old psychology thing ~ you can’t just quit an old habit ~ you must replace it with a new behavior.

DONNA FAYE That is good news you got from your doctors. Seems to me that the docs are doing the best they know for you so you must grin and bear it when you have those episodes for you can now see the end of the tunnel, so to speak, when all of this has run it’s course and quits troubling your system. :cp: We are to get some rain or snow this afternoon also. The moisture will be very welcomed in these parts for sure. Will is currently out running errands before the storm hits ~ some folks don’t know how to drive in wet weather. We are so happy in times like these we do have that 4WD vehicle but we don’t want to be slammed into by some nut case that can’t drive either. :no:

JEAN :lol: guess if our water heater was up stairs the hot water would get here quicker and we wouldn't be able to save so much cold. That's too bad you can't even save water to wash your car with there. You would think they would see that your water came from jugs and not the hose going full blast. Well maybe they think you filled the jugs from your hose, but still . . . I remember a time out in CA when I was much younger that there was a real water shortage and my dad saved water in jugs and that is how we showered.

SUSAN Oh wouldn't I love to have a Whole Foods store here. I am sure you will have a great time shopping there. Have fun eating out with the gals. It is a good thing to save rain water.

Jean
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Good Morning! The sun is shining again this morning! :cp: I'm waiting for the kids to get here and let the fun begin. :D Hope you all have a great day, I will try to check in tonight. :wave:

Maggie
02-16-2013, 02:12 PM
♪ ♥♫ GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Will just took his laptop computer to the shop for them to remove a virus that shuts down your computer with some bogus claim you have to pay hundreds of dollars to the bad guys to turn it back on. Off to the computer whizzes to remove that virus. They say it has been going around. Those folks that dream up this stuff to bilk folks out of their money are some kind of computer whizzes living in the woodwork and come out to “get ya” and can shut down a computer so “they” must have captured his computers IP address somewhere he visited on line then hit it “whammo”. The teckies will clean it out for him for they know what to do and have the tools to deal with it. He can still do computer work because his desk top and I-Pad aren’t sick ~ just his laptop. He just came back with the news that he will get his laptop back Monday all fixed. Seems lots of folks have been down there getting theirs fixed of late.

I ended up making a delicious meatloaf last evening and we will have wonderful sandwiches today. :lol: It has been awhile since I made one and it popped into my head yesterday that is what I would cook when Will brought in some nice lean ground beef from the “used meat” section of the market. I cooked some of it instead of freezing it. I have a few pounds yet of it to package up today and get it into the freezer. :cp:

We didn’t get any rain or any snow as predicted. We so need the moisture. If we are going to have a garden this year we had better start saving our water seriously now so we can have some to keep the veggies alive.

JEAN Have a great time with you kids and stay safe. Hope to hear all about it when you come back to the thead.

Jean
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's 35 degrees outside -- cold! I've been to church, read part of the paper, and changed my clothes so far this morning. Bob is singing so won't be home until after second service. The kids had a wonderful time yesterday! They brought their bikes and then later talked fast enough to walk out on the frozen lake. Jason and Will walked out with them after the little ones begged, begged, and begged some more. I was glad because even though it's not deep, I sure didn't want anyone falling through without an adult close by. They said it was just awesome! Neither family has much of a yard so the kids really enjoy playing in ours. They didn't leave until after 8 -- I was tired!

Susan -- I've never heard of Whole Foods but it sounds interesting. :yes: Iowa is trying to get a Cabelas (sporting equipment), IKEA, and a couple other stores that I've never heard of and can't remember the names right now. They feel that Iowa won't support them so have refused to build here so far. If they ever do come I'm sure we will be at least a couple hours drive away from them.

Maggie -- I hope that Will's laptop will be good as new after being in the shop. :crossed: How aggravating to get a bad virus, any virus for that matter! Meatloaf sounds good as we haven't had one for awhile. Today is leftover lasagna.

Guess I will finish reading the paper and set the table. Enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

Jean
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a gloomy, windy, cold day in my corner of the world. It's supposed to be cold all week, snow in the middle, with mostly clouds in the sky. There is no mail today and the banks are closed; we are counting at church tomorrow but I plan to pick up the gift shop money this morning and have it ready to go first thing tomorrow.

I'm dressed and need to clean up the kitchen clutter before I do anything else. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday! :wave:

QuilterInVA
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Good morning, ladies! It's cold today - only 33 degrees right now. I hope the spring flowers didn't get frozen.

We had some snow flurries for about 15 minutes Saturday and no accumulation but the cold front moved in.

This week the quilt show starts Wednesday night and it ends on Sunday. I'll be there having a marvelous time. I'm not planning on spending much. I'll take $100 and my lunches and water. I don't need gadgets or fabric, so that should be more than enough money.

Faye, I hope all is okay with you!

Jean, I'm glad you reminded me that today is President's Day. I put my recycling out and was surprised they hadn't picked it up when I left for work and I also was wondering why the teacher next door hadn't gone to school this am. Duh!

Maggie, that was a very nice picture of Will. Thanks for sending it.

Have a wonderful day!

Maggie
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
♪ ♥♫ GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Will just bought me the latest “Best of Cooking Light 2013.” Here it is this year is not even half over yet ~ bet they are recipes from last years magazine offerings. It has 96 top-rated recipes they have previously featured last year with one I had saved smack dab on the front which is Lemon Squares ~ I love lemon squares. They are so very good and only 3P+ each. I love the bold tart lemon filling. I am very pleased to have the lightened version of this treat and have some in the freezer from when I made them awhile back. I love it when they put out one of these specialty magazines without any advertisements ~ just recipes.

We had a nice outing today. Will has a volunteer job to locate where some folks are buried in the cemeteries around here. What it is ~ folks that have moved away have grandparents or such buried and they contact the folks that do this service and then they contact Will with a list of cemeteries within our area to go to and take a picture of the tombstone and then send it in and they send it on to the folks that requested the search. For the cemetery we went to today, which was about 30 miles from here, there was a list of 8 graves we were to locate and we found 5 of them but will go back when the weather is nicer and go further in the cemetery to locate the others. We had to give up today’s search because it got just too cold with the wind blowing to be walking through the rows. Will takes the pictures with his I-Pad and then can send them on to the man that distributes them. Seems like lots of folks are doing an “ancestor” search these days. Someone in my family did a search a few years back and I have records dating clear back into the 1600’s of my history. This place Will is doing it for doesn’t charge the folks anything for the search for it is all done by volunteers. Other organizations of this sort are charging folks big bucks for the search to be conducted and pictures of the tombstones to be taken. A lot of the cemeteries around here are small and others not so small. We will get our walking in for sure. :cp:

Yipekio I showed an unexpected loss of 0.6 of a pound at weigh in tonight bringing my total loss to a big 87.4 which brings me exactly to the half way mark in what I plan on losing. The next 87.4 will be downhill ~ I wish. :lol: Being half way there kinda puts a smile on my face. :p

SUSAN I know you are going to have a fabulous time at that quilt show. Good planning keeps you from needless spending for things you really don't need. Enjoy!

JEAN Will got his lap top back today and it all well now. It seems strange to not have any mail on a day where everything else is open for business as usual. Well, almost everything for some places close for any opportunity.

Have a lovely night Magnolias :wave:

gma22
02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Good morning ladies. No, I didn't fall off the earth, we just had a nutso weekend all the way around. Everytime I would try and sit down and read your post and post something would come up. We had commissary weekend, several things were to be delivered to our house, we had errands, and on and on the whole weekend right through yesterday.

I am glad to report after 6 days on the hormones, no diahrrea and no bleeding, spotting, etc. I am hopefully we finally have me on the right dosage. My doctor was smart though. She made my prescription for 20 mg twice a day, which was what I was on last time. She said to take just one a day as we had agreed, but she made it for twice a day in case the one a day wasn't strong enough and I started spotting again. She said that way I wouldn't have to come back in and get another prescription and refill it, etc. I am certainly ok with that. I have a regular dr appt tomorrow with a new gp to get my bp meds for the year and talk to her about my health and such. My gyn said I will like her. She said, "You two are alike." :lol: Don't know if that is bad or good, but my gyn told me I was her favorite patient because even when I felt bad I had a smile on my face and would listen to what she told me and would discuss my health not sit like a bump on a log. She said I would be amazed at how many people just let things go and not because of lack of insurance, but just because of laziness or fear or whatever.

We got hit with our credit card yesterday. We rarely use our credit card, but someone tried to charge $800 at best buy and $6 at some hotel. We got a phone call yesterday afternoon so we had to cancel our credit card and get new ones reissued. Luckily, the one thing we had purchased, which was something to do with the cruise, was authorized already and will be paid. We are not sure it is the same people as my bank card. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it. We had an issue one time with someone trying to use our bank card at a Target in California and it hadn't been out of our possession at that time either. In this day and age, you can only do the best you can do, which is don't order online from anyone without security, keep your firewall up on your computer, be careful with your cards and don't lose them, etc. I have read posts by people that things like lifelock don't work any better than your bank if you have a bank that stays on top of things. Unlike what they say, lifelock doesn't disallow charges, they just don't let people open new accounts with your ss#. If you have money in your checking, savings or credit card account, they can still authorize it then the bank has to pay you back. Our bank declines any charges that are over a certain dollar amount online, are foreign, etc, etc. For purchasing in person someplace, that's different, but they still require some security stuff that someone who has hacked your account would not know. That's why we call them when we are going on the cruise so we can use our credit and bank card. With us though, we took cash to buy souvenirs, used our credit card only for purchases on the ship, and our bank card for hotels, case and stuff onshore. I check and balance everyday so if something does come through that we don't know, I can call them right away and get things shut down. It can be a pain, but it is the world we live in these days.

Susan: Hope you had a good time at your lock in and accomplished some great quilting. Have a grand time at the quilt show!!! Where is it being held? They have knitting shows sometimes, but always too far away for me to go for a weekend or whatever since we only have one car nowadays. I had to laugh when the lady shut my bank card down and reissued my card she asked me if I wanted to buy a new car they were having a big discount sale. I told her no, we wanted to pay off the one we had before taking on another car payment. The price of cars these days two car payments would be like a mortgage I would think.

Maggie: I got my new crockpot last night and it is great. It also came with a 70 page free downloadable cookbook so I have a bevy of new recipes to try out. The only think I don't like about it, but they seem to have done away with is the removable "crock" doesn't have handles anymore so it is more difficult to remove it with food in it from the base. I looked at about 6 brands and not one of them had handles on the removable part. Guess I will just have to be extra careful taking it out. We have a couple of really old cemetaries around here and up in Indiana. It is interesting to see where people are buried a long time ago.

Jean: Whole Foods is a great store. It is more expensive, but you can get unusual items of produce you can't find like at WM or Krogers and stuff like that. It is sort of like Fresh Market if you have ever seen one of them. If I could afford it, I would shop at Fresh Market all the time, as they have lots of things you can't get elsewhere, but they are really expensive compared to a regular grocer. We got the wind and rain yesterday and a real big thunderstorm. Our car is filthy, but we have had so much rain that everytime we plan on taking it to get it washed and such, it is either going to rain that day or rain the next. We wanted to take it this weekend, but it rained and it is going to rain tomorrow again. I keep hoping sooner or later it will give us a few days of sun right in a row so we can clean it up.

Well girls, I am trying to play catchup with cleaning the whole downstairs today so I need to go. Have a great Tuesday! Off to clean the bathroom. Faye

Maggie
02-19-2013, 01:17 PM

In the “hand out” given out last evening at WW is a recipe for Feta & Vegetable Frittatas which sound delicious. I am going to round up the ingredients and make half of the recipe which will be 8 and a serving is one ~ so that makes sense for just the two of us. They say they freeze well. Plus I don’t want to make the whole recipe of 16 if we don’t even like them but reading the recipe I do believe we will like them. :cp: They are 2P+ each. Next grocery shopping day I will add the ingredients I don’t have on the list to be purchased.

The weather folks say we are to get some snow Wednesday and Thursday. Let it come. Rain would be nicer but snow will be welcomed for we do need the moisture. In our drive yesterday we noticed the spring fed watering holes for the cattle are still holding their level but the ones that depend on rain or snow are getting low and some have dried up which is sad to see. The wild animals will relocate to where the water is still available. The ranchers that have those natural springs are fortunate they have them on their land. The creeks through the land have shrunk from their banks and some of them have dried up ~ no water in them at all.

I am still so jazzed that I am half way there on my weight loss journey. Half way ~ it thrills me. I am planning on sticking closer to program on losing this next half. That’s my plan. Watch me shrink.

We have some left-over meatloaf that needs to be used so that is the plan today. I will make some veggies to go along with it and have a good meal.

DONNA FAYE There is someone out there always working to bilk us out of our money and we can only try our best to stay one step in front of them. I received the item that was on back order for my pasta machine and now I am going to take all the money off my debit cart and get a new one. :D Just trying to stay a step ahead. Guess to keep the cost of the crock pot they didn't enclude the recipe booklet and have you download it. Smart marketing on their part. That is different that they don't have those little pieces of the crock to protude making it easy to take it out. Probably when I ever need to replace the ones I have they will have them back again. :lol:

Jean
02-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold and windy, but the sun is shining! We are in a wind advisory until midnight, and it feels like -2 outside. The weatherman keeps talking about the coming storm; I was supposed to go to crafty club on Thursday but the hostess canceled because of the storm prediction. :( We probably won't get anything after all the hype. This morningI counted money at church, left before I had time to post to go to a hospital auxiliary board meeting, and then back to the church to finish. Being in and out of the cold car, I've been cold all day. The auxiliary had a CD coming due and decided to donate it towards a piece of ankle/foot equipment for the MRI. The CD was earning .2% interest. That is almost an insult! We made a little over $2 in 5 years. I have laundry to do since Bob needs a white shirt for a funeral tomorrow. He is a pall bearer and the burial is out of town.

Susan -- I was surprised when you said your recycled bag hadn't been picked up. Our guys get Christmas Day "off" and that's all. Have fun at the quilt show, I know you will enjoy it. :D

Maggie -- :congrat: on losing another .6#! I really like lemon bars too, but mine never taste as good as someone else's. I always find it intereting to drive through cemeteries and look at the tombstones. We had leftover meatloaf for lunch too; I'm not sure what's for supper.

"Gma" -- I'm glad the hormones are working for you! :yes: Did the credit card company call you? It's good someone was paying attention. I charged my iPad at Best Buy and the clerk never batted an eye when I handed my card to him. He didn't even ask for ID. We had several places ask for ID when we were in Florida. Remember I live in a rural area ;) and we are lucky to have two grocery stores let alone a Fresh Market or Whole Foods. I wonder if they even exist in the Midwest.

I need to get busy and accomplish something around here today. I will go to the funeral tomorrow morning, have a church meeting in the afternoon, and bell practice later, so won't be home much. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening. Stay warm! :wave:

Maggie
02-19-2013, 05:48 PM

JEAN Thank you for the congrats on my weight loss it really means a lot to me because as you know it is so hard to take it off and when I reach such a milestone I want to celebrate ~ with non food items though. :lol: I was wondering what your weather looks like in the mid week for we are said to be getting 6 to 8 inches of snow in the storm coming Wed & Thur.

I was not aware that Will had ordered any Girl Scout cookies but he came home with 3 boxes which I promptly figured out the points per cookie. I am so glad they freeze well because I don’t like them sitting around calling my name. My favorites are still the Shortbread ones which are 3P+ for 4 of them. He got Lemonades which are 2P+ each and Thin Mints which are a point each. He loves cookies and has been staying away from them for quite awhile now.

Jean
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Maggie, at noon the weatherman said 6 - 7" with gusting winds. We are still in a wind advisory and it's supposed to rev up more tonight. You have done well in your weight loss effort and should be proud of yourself! :cp: I bought the new Mango cookie and it is delicious! :T Cookies are my downfall.

Maggie
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM

It’s snowing. Lots of it has piled up on the ground which is a good thing but I am staying inside but Will who “must” go deliver an item he fixed for a fellow is out having a great time driving the Jeep in it. I chose not to go along ~ too much snow for me to navigate through to get into the vehicle since ~ nothing has not been plowed. No path through the yard full of snow has yet been made.

Needless because of the weather I will be staying inside. :coolsnow: I have much I can involve myself in here :cp: and it’s not like I will get “cabin fever.”:ginger: We had :jeno: last evening instead of my cooking the pork chops so we will have them for dinner this day. I have a black bag which is currently sitting on the floor in my office which holds some guns and ammo that makes it easy to grab when we are off to the range to do some target practice. It is zipped closed and the cat is trying his best to get that bag open for I think he wants to hop into it. When he finds out how to unzip things I will have to put the bag in the closet where it usually is kept. I didn’t take it to the range yesterday because the wind was blowing some and it was very chilly. Will had to go to test fire a gun he had worked on so he could get it back to the fellow today. That is where he is going now during this snow storm. :lol: He really could have waited to deliver it but knowing him a little snow would not stop him.

I have some really pretty fall silk leaves that the wind deposited next to our fence from the flower shop. I now have them in a container on my desk. I noticed there was a poinsettia out there also but didn’t get back out there to get it before the snow came. :o

I got an e-mail today saying I had won over a million dollars in a lottery ~ if I don’t even play how could I win is my question. Those “gotcha” things are really coming out of the woodwork these days more than they used to.

I ordered a few little things that will make my life easier in the kitchen. I am going to be a proud owner of a stainless-steel rolling pin from Chefs Tool Catalog. What you do is put it in the fridge then when rolling out your dough it doesn’t split. They come in 3 different sizes and I am getting the middle sized one that is 14”. The other two they offer are a 7½“ and a 20” size. I think the 14” one will do me just fine for all my rolling needs. I will keep it in the fridge ready to be used. I am also getting a set of 3 stainless-steel breading trays. I have been using paper plates and these will be so much better and dishwasher safe to get them nice and clean. They will also fit much better in the space they will be used on the counter than the round paper plates did. The breading I use is the Panko, which I have in the plain and lemon pepper kinds. I like the Panko on all kinds of meat and they bake well with it as a “breading.” I also orderd myself a half dozen black all cotton knee sox. The black ones I now have are looking like they are very dark gray and not exactly black anymore but they are still good enough to wear with most things but not my black trousers. :no:

JEAN I didn't know they made Mango cookies but I don't know what kinds they are offereing now days anyway. :p Are you getting snow today like we are? Stay warm.

Jean
02-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Good Evening, Flowers! We had sunshine today! It was also cold, -3 when I got up this morning. There was just a breeze so the weather was better than expected for the trip to the cemetery. After lunch I went to get my nails done, next I headed to church and spent $4000 of the memorial money on the chapel remodeling, and finally bell practice. Tomorrow is WW unless we get "stormed" out. I have a house that needs some dirt, dust, and fur bunny control. The boys need to learn how to shake the litter off their paws before they leave their bathroom! :rolleyes:

Maggie -- No snow today . . . and you don't have to share yours. ;) I'm pretty sure we will get some tomorrow, or at least the weatherman sounds convincing. I know you will enjoy your new kitchen "toys." I can't believe the junk mail I get in my spam folder. I don't know why it even gets through; some of the sites I know I have never visited. :no:

Guess I will catch the news before I head to bed. At 6:00 the weatherman said we could get up to 10" starting around noon. I almost wish it would hurry up and get here so they will quit talking about the "maybes." Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow; be careful if you have to venture out in any kind of weather! :wave:

gma22
02-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Good morning to you all! Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday. I had an 8 AM dr appt plus our garage door is acting up so it kind of consumed all my thoughts and I plain forgot.

I used my new cast iron skillet for the first time last night and like it very much. It does have a down side that the handle gets hot and the pan itself stays hotter longer so you can't jump up and clean up, but other than that, I love it. I am going to look for a pattern for a handle holder to knit since I have so much stash yarn. There has to be one out there as there are patterns for everything else. Sweater is coming along nicely, but it is slow work as my hands and elbows have been hurting lately. Guess it is the cold weather.

I love my new doctor. She reminds me a lot of my first resident doctor only this lady is staff. She was very friendly and I had my yearly blood tests for hemoglobin, thyroid, cholesterol, etc, a flu shot finally and my new prescriptions. She said I don't need to see her until next year unless I have a problem or their is an issue with one of the blood tests. They moved my biopsy appt to the 15th yesterday. They called as I was walking out the door of the dr's office and I told her I was right outside the building! :lol:

We are having chicken and noodles for dinner tonight. A night keep me warm kind of meal.

Jean: It is extremely cold here this morning for us at least, though no snow. We got sleet last night and it sounds like it may be doing it again this morning, but no snow at all. I know you guys were supposed to get slammed with snow. Hope you don't have too much running around on your plate today as it sounds like your weather is going to be dicey.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss. Since I am on the meds again, I am having to fight the hunger it makes me feel so I have been a little shaky WW wise, but I am trying to get the wheels rolling again and hopefully it will start losing. You guys be careful with all that snow.

Jack let me pick out a new handbag for Valentine's Day and it got here yesterday. Holy cow, it is the size of an overnight bag. I love it though. I will just have to be careful not to put too much in it and make it too heavy. it is nice to have a bag I can easily carry my yarn around in though.

I guess I should go girls. I am going to knit for awhile then get up and do chores for the day. I have upstairs cleaning to catch up on today. Have a good day today and try to stay warm and dry. Faye

Jean
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Good Morning, Flowers! No snow yet but it is cold, windy, and gloomy. I made a quick trip to the grocery store thinking it would be really busy and it wasn't. Maybe people went last night since originally our snow was supposed to start last night. I have a kitchen counter to clear off and then am going to work on the afghan. I am on the border edge so hope to finish is SOON. Will asked me if I would start his when I finish Beth's but I can't find the yarn he picked out. He may have to choose something different.

"Gma" -- I never think of a cast iron skillet but think of the cartoons and comedy shows where one is either being thrown at someone or being chased by someone waving one. They are heavy! I have seen quilted, like a pot holder, handles in kitchen stores. I'm glad you like your new doctor and hope you get to keep her. I had to :lol: at the size of your new handbag.

I'm out of here to work in the kitchen. Hope you all ave a terrific Thursday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM

It continues to snow :ginger:today and they say it will snow until early evening. It is a lot of the dry kind and not the heavy wet kind. We can’t tell how much has fallen because of the breeze that redistributes it around. When Will made a path from the patio to the fence so he could get to the Jeep the snow was up to his knees. We have to watch our step on that path for that is where the dogs will dump because it is easier than digging in the snow for them. That nice man who has a great snow blower is out using it on our front walk even as I type. Good neighborhood to be in.

For my lunch yesterday I had some delicious vegetable soup which I made with cans that I had in the cupboard. It was so yummy I wrote down what cans I used so one day I can repeat it. I made enough to have some left-overs another day and today is a good day for some. I know it is one soup Will would eat for he did taste it but he was having the left-over pizza yesterday but he can have some soup today.:yes: While Will was out and about yesterday he brought me a surprise from the museum ~ a horsehair zipper pull which is 4 inches long from the top of the zipper pull to the bottom of the tail for it looks like a horses tail. It is so cool looking and will look great on my jacket.

I have a couple packages of hamburger meat from the “used meat” bin that I am going to mix an envelope of onion soup with and make it into patties and freeze them for later meals and a meal tonight with a box of potatoes, green beans and a nice leafy green salad.

DONNA FAYE How nice that you like your doctor. If you like your doctor it makes it so much easier to have conversations about your system with her/him. I would think in their studies they would be required to take a "communication skills" class. :p I have a couple of nice suade leather handle covers and a quilted one for my cast iron skillet handles. The leather ones work the best. It is best to slip it off when you aren't using it and back on when you want to grab the handle so the pot holder doesn't get hot. I have 3 different sized fry pans, a round griddle, ridged grill pan, ridged grill press of cast iorn, smooth grill press. I also have some some footed dutch ovens ~ 8" (2 qt), 10" (4 qt.), & 12" (6 qt); 12" "deep" (8qt.)for outdoor use. The ovens with shallow sides of about 4" are called "bread" ovens and the deeper sided ones are known as "stew" or "meat" ovens. The 12" to 14" regular ovens are excellent for baking pies, cakes, breads and biscuits or rolls. The "deep" oven can handle turkeys, hens, hams, and roasts. :soap:

JEAN Your snow may start soon. Ours is coming down like gang busters ~ quick and heavy. Our neighbor is still out plowing, bless his heart. Hope you have all you need to stay in for a day. :yes:

Jean
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Maggie -- Even though it is dark and gloomy here, it isn't "evening" yet. ;) My friend, who lives over by Sioux City, just called to tell me the snow arrived there. I imagine we will be seeing it in about an hour. Did you use a recipe for your soup or just put cans of veggies in a pot? Sounds good on a cold day like today. Have fun with your new horse tail zipper pull gadget.

Maggie
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM

JEAN No I didn’t use a recipe. I just looked in my cupboard and got down cans of veggies that would go good together to make a tasty soup along with a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of chicken broth and some seasonings. It all together made 6 cups of good tasting soup. It will be interesting when the “talking heads” decide just how much snow we did get. There are still some light flurries falling this afternoon.

Schwan’s ® sticky buns are a whopping 13P+ each which are so delicious but so spendy in points. I received a recipe from the Pillsbury® folks to make Caramel Sticky Buns for 5P+ each which are well worth a try. I don’t eat the Schwan’s® version but Will loves them so much I will try making the Pillsbury® ones and see if they satisfy his taste. He is doing well in cutting back and since he likes those types of things so much more than I do that I will make some for him for I believe they will freeze well. I am sure I will sample one. :yes: If anyone wants that recipe I can e-mail it to you ~ just let me know.

Yack at y’all later. :wave:

Jean
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful "winter" morning with the sun shining brightly on the new snow. Bob blew the driveway and he thought it was about 6". I had cat tracks on the deck so "somebody" was here looking for food. I felt bad as once it started snowing I brought the food inside. Bob used his new snow thrower on the deck and I put critter food out. So far they haven't come out of hiding.

I get to stay home today and have lots of projects I could work on. My main goal is to finish the afghan! In working around the edge I have found a few missed stitches or else the yarn has stretched making it look that way. :o. I added a stitch or two to fill in and moved on. I doubt anyone will notice.

Maggie -- The sticky buns sound delicious. I'm sure they would call my name no matter where I stored them.

I wish you all a sunny day and hope you enjoy yourselves. :wave:

Maggie
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM

It is currently 12º here in the ♥-Land and I am staying inside :yes:. We have a lot of snow yet in our yard and since it is so cold I imagine we will have it for a few days to come. There is a fellow going to come to plow the snow off the church sidewalks leading up to the building and along the sidewalk to our house which will be most helpful. Will did shovel the snow off our front sidewalk yesterday so delivery folks could get to the front door. The Schwan’s® this morning thanked him big-time for doing that because everyone hasn’t gotten to that in their walks yet. If we still had that huge snow blower we had in MN it would be a cinch to get it all done ourselves. But that was then and this is now so we do what we can with what we have.

I think for dinner this day I will cook a dinner that is in the freezer before it gets too old to have any taste left. Cecil doesn’t quite know what to do with himself today because there is so much snow in “his” backyard. He has been wandering about the house this morning. Beanie is the one that goes out and frolics in it then wants to be petted when he comes in. I have a towel ready for those times. :cp:

Will has gone to Wal*Mart for sodas and bottled water and whatever he can find in the “used meat” section that we might want to freeze. I froze those burger patties that I had mixed with dry onion soup on a cookie sheet overnight and used my air sucker appliance to bag and freeze them in 3 bags of 2 each. They will be yummy on another day. Last night they were very good so a re-run will be welcomed one day. I have visions of them being cooked on the grill outside and in toasted buns. Will just called and said he found a new WW magazine type cook book that I don’t have so he is getting that and that all the stores down town are not open today. A little snow storm shut their doors so to speak. Well we did get quite a few inches and folks have been told to stay inside unless they have 4WD vehicles or just have to go somewhere. Lots of cars are off the roadsides where they slid during the storm. This is more snow in this one storm than we got all last year so hopefully the stock ponds are getting full which will make the cows happy. :yes:

JEAN Your animal friends will love coming to your deck for a meal now that you have it all ready for them. Things I put away in the freezer don't usually call my name. Out of sight out of mind. I hadn't even thought about those GS cookies until right now when I made that statement. :p But I don't want any right now. :no: But if they call your name you are better off not bringing them into your home. :p If we are going to be getting snow storms like this one Will may start thinking about getting a snow blower ~ we'll see.

Yack at y’all later. :wave:

gma22
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Good morning girls. I almost missed morning I guess. I had one of those nights where Fortune wouldn't be still so I lost energy around 9:30 and took a nap for a couple hours. I feel a little dopey right now, but it will be ok in a few minutes.

We had hard pouring rain all day yesterday and heavy fog this morning with mid 30's overnight temps and it is in the upper 40's today. I wish we could have sun again. It is so gloomy most of the time this year.

I talked to my best friend of 45 years yesterday and she and her husband are having a real hard time. He is on disability for a back injury several years ago (besides the fact he is lazy as he used to sit in a car and drive around as a security guard!) and she can't get a job. Her unemployment and extended unemployment ran out so they are kind of in the soup. She was always so good to Jack and I when he would get laid off in Indiana that I am sending her a check every month for 5-6 months to at least help her buy groceries. One of the things that gets my goat is he won't quit smoking and spends quit a bit of his pension on cigarettes. It isn't my husband though so I have to keep my mouth shut. I am not sure she would cash the check, but if I don't see it within a week or so having come through my bank, I am going to call her and insist she cash it. We don't have tons of money, but we aren't hurting for money either and helping a friend in need is the best thing you can do IMO. Jack and I never let anyone borrow money. We have always had a policy of no borrowing. If you need money and ask and we have it, we give it to you but no borrowing. If you don't get paid back then there is resentment that builds up.

Maggie: Just stay dry and warm in the house and work on your glass or read or something. The snow will eventually melt and be easier to move around in I imagine. Fortune hates the wet of any kind so he wouldn't even venture out in it.

Jean: I had to laugh at you and the afghan. You seem to be fine with any little mistakes or whatever and I think that is great. These people that have to make perfection miss the enjoyment out of doing it IMO. I saw a mistake I made in almost the bottom of my sweater, but it only shows on the side you wear close to the skin so I wasn't about to take out 4 inches of sweater to fix it.

Well girls, I heard the buzzer and my lunch is ready. Gotta go. Have a great weekend. This is our weekend to have dinner and games with Kelly's family tomorrow night. Looking forward to hearing about her El Paso trip. Faye

Jean
02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm baaccckkkk! I just brought a load of laundry upstairs and thought I would check in again. The sun has disappeared but the snow is melting on the driveway and street. :D

Maggie -- For once we are warmer than you are; it's 23 degrees as I'm typing. I fixed a ham loaf for lunch so we will have leftovers of choice for the next couple of meals. Sonny sat by the deck doors all morning waiting for his squirrels to come. He finally gave up and went down to his favorite chair, in the basement, for a nap. Wouldn't you know one lonely squirrel showed up right after he left. :lol:

"Gma" -- I wish you could share your rain. :yes: I don't want ice but we sure need the moisture. Those "in the know" are saying it will be another drought this summer. That is sad about your friend's situation, and it's nice of you to help her. I'm afraid I wouldn't be very tolerant of a smoking husband if money was tight. This afghan stitch is double if that makes any sense; it's across and back to complete one row. Mistakes don't show unless I skip a stitch completely. I hate this yarn because it is so loosely woven it is easy to split a stitch. Since it is varigated colors that helps; if I see the mistake I do rip it out and fix it. What I'm doing now is going around the outside edge a couple times to finish it off. I just hope it doesn't fall apart when Beth washes it.

I see the mailman just went by so I will venture out to the mailbox. We haven't gotten much junk mail in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if the increased postage has anything to do with that. :dunno:

gma22
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Good morning to you all. Jack is out early this morning going to Home Depot to get lubricant for the screw on the garage door opener, to Krogers to get more soda and dog food, and Chik-fil-a for a breakfast sandwich this morning.

Jack got up early and shampooed the dining room carpet this AM with the new shampooer and is going to do the other one tomorrow. It sure works better than the old one. It had stopped vacuuming up the dirty water out of the carpet so that's why we bought a new one.

I am going to go and color my hair after breakfast and try and tackle some of the upstairs I never did get to before we go over to Kelly's this evening. We are ordering from the BBQ place across the street so I will call after they open up and place the order to be picked up at 5:30 this afternoon. Jack still has to lubricate the screw drive on the garage door opener to see if that fixes the problem we are having with it. It won't go up all the way, but once he gets it up, it will come down on it's own. We figure it needs lubricant since it does work. It isn't that old, less than 5 years.

Jean: Sounds like it has warmed up in your area, but certainly not warm. How do you make a ham loaf? I don't think I have ever heard of a ham loaf. It sounds good. We still get a heck of a lot of catalogues, even places I have never ordered from so you know they are passing along your address to places, which irritates me. I don't order from catalogues, do it online instead so I try when I fill out my order to make sure anything that is checked saying they want to send me stuff either email or through snail mail and I say no thanks.

Well girlies, time to go. Lots to do today! Have a good Saturday. Faye