Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #1  
Come on, skinny love

S/C/G: 290/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Goal Clothes... Motivating or discouraging?

So... I bought three new pairs of capri pants for a trip to California in late March. I bought them one size smaller than the size I can barely squeeze into now. I have never bought "goal clothes" before. My WW buddy told me not to do it because it's just frustrating and discouraging to own clothes you can't fit into, but I guess I think it's motivating... I try to slip them on every couple of days and already they've gone from "can't get them over my butt" to "I could zip these with an act of God".

I would like to hear others' opinions on goal-size clothing. I might even buy something REALLY small (well, really small to me is a size 10) as a super goal!
Veneficae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #2  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Well, this is an issue I have strong feelings about.

For those people who find goal clothes motivating, they should buy/pull out of their closet goal clothes that they can try on and use as a motivator.

For those people who find having clothes in their closet they can't wear to be discouraging, they shouldn't have goal clothes out because it will depress them.

So, I just think everyone should do what I say and All will be Well.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #3  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

yup, I have goal jeans that are a size smaller, and I buy a new smaller pair once I can fit into them. But, I don't actually have anything several sizes smaller (that would just depress me).

I try them on when they don't fit, and then I try them on every few weeks. It's a great motivator for me, but I'm sure there are people that would think it's frustrating
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Ha! I own lots of clothes I can't fit into! But I don't think I would buy anything new smaller than one size down - otherwise it would just take up space I don't have....and that might indeed be frustrating.

But I agree trying to fit into something is a really good measure of size lost which may or may not be reflected on the scale.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #5  

I have fashion shows in my closet just about every 3 weeks or so. The tight pants (or very very tight pants lol) hang on my closet door as motivation to exercise, eat right, follow my plan 100%.

Anything that is "new" to me is only from the Goodwill store and it has to be from the 50% sale so it's $2.50 each. I can't justify paying any more than that for clothes that don't fit me. But I also can't justify buying a new outfit if it's only going to fit me for another month or 2 (hopefully!).

I am happy to report that 3 of the items that I bought since the first of the year are now in my daily clothes rotation and have been replaced with 3 smaller items.

I find it very motivating and my version is very frugal! I do love myself a bargain!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I have done that- buy a piece of clothing a bit too small to help motivate me. I also have used old clothes from high school/college days as visual motivation. It works for some like us. I usually hang it up where I will see it while working out to motivate me on lazy days, lol.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

I agree with Beth. Its SOO individual. Just like weighing in. Some people love the daily thing, some people need to just do it weekly or less.

Its what works for you.

I personally haven't given it a try, but have been thinking about it. My only reservation is my odd shape. I can completely see finally getting into something, just to find that I just don't like the way it looks on me, despite being sized properly.

Last edited by SarahFairhope; 02-13-2013 at 11:03 AM.
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #8  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit. I find it motivating because I can picture myself if them again and get so excited. On the other hand, they've been in my closet for MANY years and I have never stuck with healthy choices long enough to wear them, so in that way it's discouraging. I guess my answer would be similar to the others that have posted: It's motivating to have an outfit or two that's too small to motivate you. I like the Goodwill idea because you don't spend very much and hopefully you won't even be fitting into THOSE ones for very long either! Oh, and I also like that it helps you see changes that might not reflect on the scale

Last edited by mccull83; 02-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think buying one size down is ok, although I can just shop in my closet for that! (and will be able to do so for a long time)

But I personally would not buy something in a really small size. It's not even whether or not it's motivating, even recognizing that varies individually. But personally, I have found that the shape of my body has changed when I lose weight, as I don't always lose it where I expect to. And I don't always lose it in the same place and same way every time I've lost weight.

So when I do fit into a size X (whatever goal size it is), I want to buy clothes that fit wonderfully at the exact size and shape I end up being then, and not buy something now that maybe fits in the sense that it goes on my body, but doesn't fit properly and isn't as flattering as it could be.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #10  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

I generally keep jeans a size or two lower than what I am in right now. I think it's fun to try them on until they actually fit. Although, I will say I do not buy the jeans until I am pretty close to changing sizes (maybe 7-10 lbs away from the next size). Oh, and I only buy one pair.
Shirts I do not really care about, I just wear them baggy! I probably won't buy any new shirts until I reach my goal weight (many of them are starting to look like nightshirts on me now ahhhhhh! never imagined that happening).
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I've never thought about actually buying goal clothes because my closet always has wardrobes for several different sizes of me! I just spent a day cleaning out my closet and found that I have about 40 pairs of slacks (all in navy and black because they'll make my butt look smaller......living in fantasy land here) and they're in 5 different sizes. What I will do differently this time is get rid of the larger sizes except for one pair to hold for the eventual miracle photo of me standing in one leg of the pants.

I'm actually kind of excited. I've been wearing the same old stuff for weeks and discovered all sorts of blouses and sweaters that I had forgotten about. But, this is one of those things where we have to assess what motivates us and what doesn't and act accordingly.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #12  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
What I will do differently this time is get rid of the larger sizes except for one pair to hold for the eventual miracle photo of me standing in one leg of the pants.
Have you seen the pictures where people layer all of their pant sizes from largest size down to current? They stack so you can still see the tops of each pair. It's kind of a fun picture I've been thinking about doing along with the traditional shot.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #13  
Come on, skinny love

S/C/G: 290/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

man, I can't WAIT to take the picture in one leg of my pants! ha! I have a pair that i'm holding for that purpose also. The rest I'm going to get rid of. I did go through my closet and arranged everything in totes from size 20 to 16. I already cracked open the 20 tote and picked some things out. Some stuff is just... old. I don't want to wear it. There's a few things in the size 18 tote that I can't wait to wear!
Veneficae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #14  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

This is a great post. I have been thinking about getting something smaller for a gauge/motivation.

However, I think I am going to buy something about two sizes smaller. I have a wedding in July, and the lady at the store said that my bridesmaids dress can be taken in up to two sizes before it starts to look weird. So, If I get a an outfit, like a pair of jeans and a nice top two sizes smaller I can try those on every couple of weeks. If and when they fit perfectly I can then try and maintain until after the wedding!

This doesn't sound crazy does it?
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #15  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I definitely have plenty of clothes that I can't fit (yet) but I don't buy clothes that don't fit. It's expensive enough having to buy clothes every few months as I come down. Years ago I bought some pants that were a size too small with the intention of losing some weight. I gained 100 pounds instead. They've still got the tags on them and I can't wait to finally be able to fit into them.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote