PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #1  

Default Regular Metformin vs. Extended Release

Hello there!

I have been PCOS and have been on regular Metformin since July 2010 and I am down 60lbs! I have been on my regular dosage of 850mg twice a day since November 2010. I recently started having issues, including horrible headaches and throwing up (maybe once a week). I called my doctor the other day to tell her and she switched me to the extended release version, which I have not picked up from the pharmacy yet. As far as my PCOS symptoms go, as long as I watch what I eat and remember to take my pill with a meal, I do not have issues with my blood sugar levels.

I know this sounds vain, but the whole reason I am posting this is to find out if anyone has experienced weight gain on the extended release? I am willing to suffer through the occasional headaches, etc, if the weight stays off.
ashleymdp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #2  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

I have only been on the extended release about 3 weeks, so I may not be a great test case. But, I am losing weight, so no weight gain here.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #3  

I've been on ER for a few weeks. First the generic (horrible horrible side effects) and then Glumetza. Side effects seem to be about over, except for being tired- and even that isn't as bad as it was.
No weight gain here. No loss, either. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is going to work for me. If I eat as I was pre-medication, my sugar bottoms out in the night.
Aianah is offline   Reply With Quote