Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Cool Trying to get Unstuck....

I have not lost weight for about a week now. I started at 25 g (not net) and have increased carbs to 35 (not net) over the last 3 weeks. My calories are between 1300 & 1400 per day...about 60% of which is comming from fat. Included in this has been 2 packets of splenda, 2 pieces of hershey's sugar free chocolate, 5 to 7 sugar free werthers and one low carb wrap. I'm thinking of upping the carbs to 50 g. (NET CARBS) from vegetables, berries and one low carb wrap and dumping the candy and sweeteners.
I hope this will get the scale moving in the right direction ? Any advice ?
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
I have not lost weight for about a week now. I started at 25 g (not net) and have increased carbs to 35 (not net) over the last 3 weeks. My calories are between 1300 & 1400 per day...about 60% of which is comming from fat. Included in this has been 2 packets of splenda, 2 pieces of hershey's sugar free chocolate, 5 to 7 sugar free werthers and one low carb wrap. I'm thinking of upping the carbs to 50 g. (NET CARBS) from vegetables, berries and one low carb wrap and dumping the candy and sweeteners.
I hope this will get the scale moving in the right direction ? Any advice ?
I'm a little confused Your post is under the Atkins catagory....but.....sugar free chocolate & werthers doesn't sound like Atkins to me. If you are doing Atkins and are trying to incorporate carbs (OWL phase), you would begin at the first rung of the carb ladder by adding 5 additional carbs of veggies. The low carb wrap however would not be added until the last rung of the carb ladder. I do agree with dumping the candy & sweeteners. They are common stallers for most people.
I hope this helps.
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #3  

Hi Jersey girl ! I was hoping you would see my post. Thank you for your reply !
Well I guess I haven't been doing atkins after all....but I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks, feeling much better, and the cravings are gone. I don't really want a "re-do" of (what I thought was) induction though,& I think I need more fibre ( drinking lots, but not as regular as I was pre-low carb) so I'm hoping that switching to the "net carbs" could help. I'm glad you agree with dumping the fake sweets.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

It's pretty common to not lose any weight in a week when it comes to weight loss, no matter what plan you're on... just sort of par for the course... Do you have a copy of DANDR? That has a lot of useful info that might be of help to you though...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 02-12-2013 at 08:45 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
Hi Jersey girl ! I was hoping you would see my post. Thank you for your reply !
Well I guess I haven't been doing atkins after all....but I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks, feeling much better, and the cravings are gone. I don't really want a "re-do" of (what I thought was) induction though,& I think I need more fibre ( drinking lots, but not as regular as I was pre-low carb) so I'm hoping that switching to the "net carbs" could help. I'm glad you agree with dumping the fake sweets.
Hi Marigrace
If you don't want a "re-do" of Induction, my suggestion would be to do Atkins OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss). You would do so by adding more carbs per the carb ladder in 5 carb increments. The carb ladder is as follows:

1. Vegetables
More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

2.Dairy
Fresh cheeses:
½ cup Cottage cheese
5 oz Farmers cheese
½ cup Ricotta cheese
5 oz Pot cheese

Keep portions small for:
Hard aged cheese
½ cup Cream, heavy and light
Half and half
Sour cream
Yogurt

3. Seeds and Nuts

1 oz serving
Macadamias
Almonds
Peanuts/Natural Peanut Butter
Coconut
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Walnuts
Pistachios

4.Berries
Eat frequently from:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries

Eat moderately:
Honeydew
Cantaloupe

5.Wine and other spirits low in carbs
Spirits
White Wine
Red Wine
Low-carbohydrate Beer

6.Legumes
Lentils
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Hummus
Chickpeas
Tofu
Soybeans
Soy milk, unsweetened

7.Fruits other than Berries and Melons
Plums
Kiwis
Peaches
Apples
Grapefruit
Tangerines

8.Starchy Vegetables
Keep all portions small
Carrots
Green Peas
Acorn squash
Butternut squash

Eat rarely
Corn
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes

9.Whole Grains

Eat rarely
Keep all portions small and focus on whole, unprocessed grains:
Old fashioned Oatmeal
Oat Bran
Wheat Bran
Low carb (soy) bread and muffins
All-bran
Barley, cooked

As long as you are losing steadily, you can add 5 more carbs the following week from the next rung of the carb ladder (beginning with veggies).

This is all explained in detail in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior versions). I would strongly suggest reading the book so you have a clear understanding of how & why Atkins, when done correctly, works.

As far as needing more fiber....veggies & salads are a great source of fiber! And definitely stay away from the SF candy.....its evil

And don't get discouraged, Dr. Atkins said a true stall is 4 weeks with no weight loss or loss of inches.

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #6  

Thanks guys ! I might still have a copy have to look around....but right now i have to get out to my job. Thanks so much for the info!!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #7  

Hi, I'm back home. Thanks again for getting all that info to me.I looked my journal over and subtracted the fibre from the carb count, I came up with 32 net carbs for the day..... I put the wraps in the freezer for a few weeks.....so far so good.....hope it works.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

marigrace. Just checking in to see how you are doing? I started Atkins 1/6/13 and after the initial swoosh... its been about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs a week. I did notice that the more plain ole water I drink instead of flavored SF drinks the more I do actually lose. I think the SF foods and drinks do really mess up our system. Even tho the Sugar free chemicals aren't supposed to effect us as much.. they still do. I hope that you are doing well and living happy and easily on Atkins.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #9  

Hi, it is so nice to hear from you ! It took almost 3 weeks, But I'm finally down 2 lbs below my stall/gain weight. I think my body has finally adjusted to the initial water loss.
Now I'm taken the carbs down too....nearly all from vegetables (thanks to Kim"sgood advice) and I've added flax meal and coconut oil which are keeping things moving nicely. I just hope this stall thing is really over for a while. By the way, it might be the sodiuum content in the soda that is cusing you to retain fluid...just an idea....
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #10  
Sue finding inner song

marigrace. I am glad for you and the weight loss after the "stall" ME- It might have been the sodium in my Crystal Light drink mix or it might be something else that I haven't figured out. Oh well That is life But I am glad for you!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 02-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #11  
Art Wench

S/C/G: 210/192/160

Height: 5'8"

Give it more time! One week at no loss is typical for ANY diet! You are not at a true stall unless it's been something like 4-6 weeks.

Until then, I would indeed dump all the artificial stuff, and include the healthier options. All that junk does is clutter up the system and make you hold water.

Raspberries and cranberries are some of the best berries (and lower carb, rasp. has high fiber) and make awesome shakes when they're frozen!

Good luck, and keep it up!!

EDIT: Oops! Just saw your update! Congrats on continuing to lose weight!!

Last edited by Comicbookmommy; 03-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Comicbookmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #12  
Sue finding inner song

OK.. I have just about cleaned out any artificial sweetners and I had a rush of weight gone this week (4 lbs WOO HOO) So maybe the chemicals do play with our system?? hhhmm??? Glad to know that.

Gosh.. ever have a day that you just feel lighter? Its like all of a sudden your body lets your brain know that more than 4 bags of sugar have left the premises and gravity is not so strong AHHH I LOVE this feeling!

How are you all doing?