Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #1  

Question lost weight gained it back-problems staying motivated

Hello out there(: ive recently lost about 50 pounds and its slowley but surely creeping back up on me ahhh so stressful! See ive always struggled with my weight since I was a child always being in the mid 200s its so depressing to me being that ive constantly been picked on bc of it and its really gave me a big complex I do not feel good about myself and never have. Ive recently been diagnosed with depression and dont know how to handle it not sure if medication is the route or what!!! Ive started to diet again two days ago so far so good but im scared im gonna lose motivation as I tend to do. I try to have friends diet and workout with me but it never lasts and I get discouraged. All I want for myself is to be skinny and feel good about myself for once! Any tipes how to keep motivated and stick with it and to beat this damn depression?? Thanks in advance!
brittfos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/124/?

Height: 5" 4

Hi! I lost 50 lbs but last month gained weight. A lot.
I don't know why but I just kept binging and couldn't stop.

It was difficult to get back on plan but now I am and the weight has gone back down. It helps a bit to see the numbers go down. The progress makes me feel healthier instead of overwhelmed and hopeless.

This is a great board to get support and what I am really going to watch for is adjust my habits when I start to gain. We don't have to be perfect. I know I'll gain at some point but if I gain a pound or five I'm not going to let myself give up, I'll just lose it and go on. You can do this too.

I actually gained 16 last month and was feeling horrible but I also thought a few weeks if the year I did badly- so what- a little setback. I have the rest of the year / my life to do better.
HappyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Default How to motivate yourself

I've tried a lot of ways to motivate myself to lose weight too. I've tried asking friends, but they just drop out of touch. The husband needs to do different stuff, so that motivation is sporadic. Joining exercise classes is exhausting. Finally, I decided to do a combo of those things. This is what worked for me, hopefully some of it can work for you too.

1. I work out at home and count calories. 3FC really helps keep me accountable as these people understand how tedious calorie counting is as well as how well it works! All my friends tell me I'm nuts, and that's fine

2. My husband is a support, but most of the motivation comes from myself. I try to be selfish (which it tough for me), and say that I deserve this and I'm determined to do it (it helps know exactly what 'it' is).

3. I plan. Plan, plan, plan. I plan my meals, prep my food on Sat or Sun, and I plan my workouts for the week. Sometimes I write it down, but since I've been in a habit for a while, I no longer need to.

4. To ward off cravings, I tell myself not to eat after 8pm (unless I haven' eaten enough during the day, which is rare). I brush my teeth at 8pm so that i'm not tempted to snack after that, and I'll drink tea or water for the rest of the night.

Those are the big things that have helped me on this weight loss journey. through this, I've learned to be patient with myself. No one else will lose the weight for me, and people are in different places in their own weight loss goals. I just keep motivating me, and appreciate and encourage anyone else who wants to keep me company along the way.

Good luck, and hope this helps!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi, I hear where you are coming from because I have gained some weight within the past few months after losing weight too and it is so frustrating! It can be so upsetting, but you're not alone, we are here in this community to support you on your journey. What can you do to take care of yourself?

Personally, I am working with my therapist about how I can eat healthier and not overeat on what I call 'binge foods' (foods that I know set off cravings and I will overeat on easily) She emphasized eating mindfully, so for example, instead of eating a whole package of cookies at once, eating a few cookies, savoring their taste and texture, and really enjoying them. She was saying if I felt like more that was okay, but to not start off with mindlessly eating. I am also realizing that for me, saying that I could never have a cookie again wouldn't work because then I would just want it that much more, so I try to have things in moderation. I also know not to bring home 'binge foods' very often, maybe sometimes for a treat but not overdo it. I have been trying to be careful as to what I bring home so I don't feel triggered by foods that cause cravings, so I am trying to eat healthier and watch out for my hunger signals.

The depression issue sounds very frustrating, I have bipolar and I was originally diagnosed with depression. What has helped me are a good therapist, psychiatrist, medications and staying on the medications, developing good coping skills to get me through the tough times instead of eating, such as deep breathing, calling a friend, not isolating, listening to or playing positive music, doing things to help me relax, etc. I hope you get the treatment that you need for your depression.

Take care.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote