Chicks up for a Challenge - Impulse Control Challenge

View Full Version : Impulse Control Challenge

tyla
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Who would like to join me in an Impulse Control Challenge until Mar. 31 (Easter)? For the next 49 days, whenever we have the impulse to go to the refrigerator or cupboard, we do something else instead and post what we did. Examples of non impulse activities: buy flowers, get a cup of coffee, drink water, brush teeth, walk, dvd exercises, blog, go shopping, etc. You may post your non impulse activities as many times of day as needed.

Today, instead of continuing to eat after lunch, I came here and posted. Now I'm going for a walk.

Let's motivate each other. :) Let's develop a new habit. :) Let's get healthy. :carrot:

tyla
02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Since this was a hard day for me, I went grocery shopping instead of eating. I bought healthy foods. I feel back in control.

Ross111104
02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I really wanted to graze and eat after my 7 o'clock cut off time. But I went out to my car and got a pice of gum instead. Worked like a charm!

tyla
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Welcome, Ross! What a great idea! Thanks for your input. :)

tyla
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm going to calorie count this morning. Already did the bills, which usually throws me over the edge, but I did really well today. I think it's because I knew I was coming here, and had to be accountable. I'm going to finally control my impulses. :)

Mountain Mamma
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Tyla, this is a great idea! Something I need help with - count me in.

tyla
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi MMama! Welcome! So glad you are going to join me! Best of luck to both of us! :dust:

tyla
02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Between 3-4 pm, I wanted to start grazing. (That usually means I'm tired.) I opted for a cup of tea instead. That's a big deal, because I made it through a difficult period. I'm so happy now. :)

Ross111104
02-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Good job Tyla!! Keep it up

tyla
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Ross! And congrats to you for doing so well!

I feel so much better that I'm understanding it's all about emotional eating, when I overdo it. I can be good for days, then some negative situation happens, and that's when I relieve my stress with food. Only problem is I gain weight when I overeat. Stopping that impulse to reach for food and replacing it with something else is the best answer for me. Overeating brings me pain. Controlling myself brings me joy. :)

Mountain Mamma
02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Welcome, Ross!

Well, I did suppress a snack urge, but don't deserve any credit because I'm still sick. Amazing even though I had no appetite and could taste nothing I still found myself contemplating the pantry yesterday. Why when I didn't really want to eat anything?

Tyla, are you familiar with the Beck diet solutions? Your thread sounds like it could go there, I think.

Good luck everyone.

Ross111104
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Tyla- I think true self reflection is the first step to losing weight. Once you do a true analysis of what is wrong with what/how you eat then we are making a conscious decision to do what we know shouldn't. Even that is a step in the right direction rather than mindlessly going about our lives eating and not even thinking about it. So yes we will probably have slip ups but we now know what it means to have self control and we have to go back to that place quickly! Lol

Mountain- hi! Good job on resisting the snack urge. You deserve all the credit. Being hungry has nothing to do with why I eat half the time. Habit, boredome, glutony etc.. I think about food all the time! Lol!!

tyla
02-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Today was easy. No problems, no negativity, easy eating. For my snack between 3-4 pm, I had a nice cup of tea. I also exercised today. Tomorrow I'm going out to lunch with friends. I plan on eating slowly and stopping when I'm full. Wish me luck. :goodluck:

MMamma, So sorry to hear that you are sick. Maybe you wanted to eat, because you were bored just hanging out. Boredom is a huge emotional trigger for most of us. Congrats on staying strong. :cp:

Ross, thank you for your insight. It's taken me a while, but I'm starting to notice a pattern. Stuff myself when stressed. I've decided to change that behavior. Coming here and posting is really helping me stay strong. You're right - food in always in the back of my mind, too. I just have to decide when to allow myself to eat some. :lol:

tyla
02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Today is day 4 of this thread. I have to tell you that I've been more aware of my eating habits and I'm doing a lot better these days.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, Everyone! :val1:

EagleRiverDee
02-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I will join you all. Today my goal is to not have any sweets except a piece of fruit. I gave up alcohol for Lent, but I have been having a major sweet tooth lately and so I'm also going to be trying really hard until Easter to get back on track and eat only healthy things. And yes, I see the irony of no sweets on Valentines day but my sweetie knows better than to buy me candy anyway. Haha!

ichoose2believe
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I wanted chocolate and gave in but with a twist. I bought a firecracker chocolate bar that has cayenne pepper (it also has pop rocks) in it so I can't sit down and eat the whole thing :) I like a bit of spice but not a lot. So this bar is perfect.
It has great flavor but just enough kick that I can only have about 1/8th to 1/4th of the bar (about 25 cal to 50cal).

ichoose2believe
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Today is day 4 of this thread. I have to tell you that I've been more aware of my eating habits and I'm doing a lot better these days.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, Everyone! :val1:

Happy Valentines Day.

tyla
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
EagleRiverDee, welcome! I'm so glad you could join us. I certainly hope you were able to resist sweets today. Just coming here and announcing your goal was the best idea. I always seem more accountable when I post here. Good luck to you! :goodluck:

Ichoose2believe, welcome! Great idea about the chocolate candy bar with Cayenne pepper and pop rocks. You got to eat something sweet, but not very much of it. The pepper is great for you, because it gives you endorphins, which makes you feel good and less anxious. :cp:

I did great today! I went out to lunch with my girlfriends to a French Restaurant. I had one crepe, and left some on my plate. I feel super! For dinner, I had oatmeal and yogurt. :)

tyla
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
An hour after lunch, instead of snacking, I came here instead. Proud of myself. Now the food urge is gone. :) Again, I think I was tired and needed a break.

ichoose2believe
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh good golly miss molly how I wanted to give in. I am going to visit my mom. She asked me to go to this bakery in town so I can bring her a few slices of their cakes (which are to die for trust me). Anyway.... I LOVE their cake... I could eat a slice (huge slice mind you) of Italian Cream cake in 2 min without breathing. But I did good. I got her cake and I didn't get myself anything although I did get the half pint a cookie. But I did it. I didn't give in and when we went out to dinner tonight I still only ate half my meal and brought the other half home.
Sorry to be so long... but I had a good day.

tyla
02-16-2013, 09:10 AM
ichoose2believe, congratulations!!!! :bravo:

ichoose2believe
02-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh man I love being home but there are so many temptations to give in. My mom made my stepdad's famous "Pasta" now this pasta has 2lbs of ground beef, a whole box of pasta, a big jar of sauce, rotel, a whole pack of earl campbell sausage and 3/4 of a pack of velveta slices. Yup... 30lbs in a pot. So I did as well as I could. I asked if we could have salad with it. I made a HUGE salad (like half a clamshell sized) with low cal dressing (45 cal for 2 tbspn) and fresh veggies. And less than 1 cup of the pasta mix. I even made sure to eat the salad first.
For breakfast. Jimmy Dean sausage, Biscuts and Grits (AHHHH).Luckly I went to the store and go fresh fruit (blueberries and Strawberries) and cottage cheese so I had that with the smallest bit of jimmy dean I could find out of the mix. I have worked so hard... I don't want to undo all Ihave done.

Anyway... Tyla... how's it going... Weekend going okay?

Mountain Mamma
02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
:welcome3:EagleRiverDee & ichoose2believe!!!

Well, I PARTIALLY resisted eating chocolate the last four days: have only consumed some of my Valentine's chocolate. This is major - usually even the wrappings would have been licked clean long ago.

tyla
02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Ichoose2believe, congrats on all of your new accomplishments. It's hard when there are so many temptations, but we can do this. :congrat:

I've been resisting eating in between meals. It is sooo hard sometimes, but I've been doing it for the last week. Lately I've been drinking tea. :carrot:

MMamma, fanatastic that you are resisting chocolate from Valentine's Day. Kudos to you! :congrat:

ichoose2believe
02-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Tyla Congrats on resisting eating between meals I have to plan a snack or I will give in. Tea is a great idea I love Chai flavored tea the spices are so strong in it that you don't need a lot of sugar and it already tastes sweet. Twinlings is my favorite they have one in a red pack called extra bold or something. VERY good.

MMamma... congrats on not eating all the Valentines day candy. I stayed away this year.

tyla
02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Went out to breakfast yesterday. I gave my hubby the other pancake and sausage patty. Woohoo! Proud of me. :cp:

Ichoose2believe, the chai tea sounds interesting. Does it have many cals? I'm going to look for that. Thanks for the info. Right now I drink green tea, but it does hit the spot and calms me down. :) Keep up the great work! You're doing fabulous, dahling! :strong:

ichoose2believe
02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Went out to breakfast yesterday. I gave my hubby the other pancake and sausage patty. Woohoo! Proud of me. :cp:

Ichoose2believe, the chai tea sounds interesting. Does it have many cals? I'm going to look for that. Thanks for the info. Right now I drink green tea, but it does hit the spot and calms me down. :) Keep up the great work! You're doing fabulous, dahling! :strong:

:cp: congrats on breakfast. I always have a hard time eating out for breakfast so I tend to just make it at home beside I doubt anyone can top my lemon blueberry french toast :)

The Ultra Spice Chai is just a regular tea bag so it has 0 cal as long as you brew it in water (I do and its yummy). Yogi Chai Rooibos is another good one (although a bit more pricey). My BF is a tea snob so we tend to drink a lot of tea :) Oh Lipton makes a Caramel Vanilla Truffle Tea that is really good too :)

tyla
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Wow, thank you so much for your ideas!! I have to go to the grocery store and buy some. :thanks: Gotta go exercise now. :strong:

tyla
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Bought Bigelow Chai. Loved it. Thanks again, Ichoose2believe!

tyla
02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Went out to lunch yesterday. Left half my food on the plate. I feel stronger. :strong:

ichoose2believe
02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Went out to lunch yesterday. Left half my food on the plate. I feel stronger. :strong:

:carrot: Good going. So glad you liked the tea :) I am feeling sluggish and don't want to do anything but tomorrow I am going to for sure get up and take my little man to the park and kick the ball around.

tyla
02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
What a great idea, ichoose2believe! Your little guys will appreciate it, too. Have fun!

I was tempted after lunch today, but I came running here and posted instead. It's funny how getting away from the food area can make a difference. I actually feel more in control!

:dust:

tyla
02-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Wanted to eat before going to bed. I went to bed instead. :woohoo:

ichoose2believe
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Down to 288.6 this morning. So happy :) Its been a while since I have seen the 280's.

sept2012
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I am jumping in on this one. I think a lot of my issues come directly from being impulsive. Not just weight issues... all issues... I am a naturally impulsive person. Shopping, buying big things, speaking before I think (sometimes this one was a long hard lesson but I feel like I have control of this better than any other thing in my life)

So instead of being impulsive right now, running out to the store to get a nice savory meal, I just ate a medifast bar, turned the lights down lower, plugged into my computer and am going to do an hours worth of work on learning Italian...

ichoose2believe
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
I am jumping in on this one. I think a lot of my issues come directly from being impulsive. Not just weight issues... all issues... I am a naturally impulsive person. Shopping, buying big things, speaking before I think (sometimes this one was a long hard lesson but I feel like I have control of this better than any other thing in my life)

So instead of being impulsive right now, running out to the store to get a nice savory meal, I just ate a medifast bar, turned the lights down lower, plugged into my computer and am going to do an hours worth of work on learning Italian...

:welcome2: Learning another language sounds so cool. :cp: for not having that savory meal

ichoose2believe
02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Ahhh I so wanted a bean and cheese breakfast taco this morning from Taco Cabana which is 292. So instead as I walked my chunky butt up the stairs I counted out what else I could eat that was equal to the 300 calories:
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal with cinnamon and 5 diced strawberries
1 pieces of 9 grain 40 cal bread and 1 tablespoon of 1/2 sugar jam
1/4 egg beaters with 1 tablespoon of pace salsa
2 pieces of turkey bacon and a cup of mint green tea with teaspoon of sugar.

tyla
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Welcome, Sept! :welcome: Congrats on going for the medifast bar! What a great idea - to go to the computer and learn a new language!! :congrat:

ichoose2believe, congrats on losing more weight! That's awesome! And then making a great choice for breakfast, instead of a measly taco. You had more food with less cals!! :woohoo: :cp:

As for me, I stopped eating more food while watching the Oscars. I had my dinner and snack planned and enjoyed the show. :dance:

I gotta watch eating in front of the tv! There's another thing that might start a problem. :eek:

ichoose2believe
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Welcome, Sept! :welcome: Congrats on going for the medifast bar! What a great idea - to go to the computer and learn a new language!! :congrat:

ichoose2believe, congrats on losing more weight! That's awesome! And then making a great choice for breakfast, instead of a measly taco. You had more food with less cals!! :woohoo: :cp:

As for me, I stopped eating more food while watching the Oscars. I had my dinner and snack planned and enjoyed the show. :dance:

I gotta watch eating in front of the tv! There's another thing that might start a problem. :eek:

Eh I only had the oatmeal.

tyla
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Made it through another day with flying colors. Was starving all afternoon, but didn't eat. Drank water. :cheers:

sept2012
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Yesterday I tried to talk myself out of the gym. It didn't work... I worked out instead. :0

tyla
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Sept, wow, that's awesome!! :bravo: Now you've motivated me to get moving. I usually exercise everyday, but today I was lazy. Thank you for encouraging me! :thanks:

Today I went out to lunch with co-workers. I ate half of my salad, but was tempted to eat the rest when I got back to work. Instead, I kept it in the refrigerator until after dinner. Then I had a sugarfree mint. :cp:

ichoose2believe
02-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Yesterday I tried to talk myself out of the gym. It didn't work... I worked out instead. :0

:cp: glad you had that work out...

today i did okay. I wanted ice cream after dinner but instead I took a shower, came here to post and now I am off to bed. Have a good night ladies.

Tyla... glad you had a good lunch out and had will power dust with you :)

tyla
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
After my eggbeaters, yogurt and skinny vanilla latte for breakfast, I wanted to keep eating. I put one of my calcium chews in my mouth and came here to post. It's been 17 days since I've let my inpulses ruin my progress! Kudos to me! :cp:

Hey, ichoose, great option to take a shower when tempted with ice cream. That was huge. Great job!! :bravo:

tyla
02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
I feel great, because I made it through another day. When I was hungry in between meals, I drank water. :carrot:

ichoose2believe
02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
tyla congrats on making it another day water helps so much... although I have been on a sobe 0cal lifewater kick lately...

sept... you still hanging in there?

I started taking the long way to my office that requires 2 flights of stairs so that I could get some extra steps in. Next week I am going to try going up to the third floor to go to the bathroom or get water.

sept2012
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
still hanging in. been busy few days. have not been impulsive - have not had time hahahahaha

tyla
02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
ichoose, I like that you're taking the long way to your office! Next week will even be better, you climbing 3 flights!! You're making great changes!! :)

sept, some days are just better than others, right? Gotta love being busy. That always works for me! :)

Today was good for me, too. It was such a pretty day, that I went outside for a walk. Next week I'll start taking exercise classes again. Also I wasn't tempted as much today. I've been planning my meals for the day, so I know what I'm having when. Planning helps me. :)

We're taking control. :dust:

ichoose2believe
03-05-2013, 04:33 PM
I hope you ladies are doing well. Things have been okay just crazy. Our family trip is at the end of April and I am hoping that I can meet my goal to be about 260 by then. This morning I was 286.4.

Yesterday I was feeling tired and didn't want to cook dinner (almost ordered a pizza) but instead we went to the park and played a bit of soccer and then went home and I made pork tenderloin w/ apricot glaze, dijon carrots and brown rice (286 calorie dinner) it was supper filling and no guilt :)

Mountain Mamma
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Wow, two things - sticking to Plan AND working on Italian. Impressive!

Mountain Mamma
03-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Yesterday I was feeling tired and didn't want to cook dinner (almost ordered a pizza) but instead we went to the park and played a bit of soccer and then went home and I made pork tenderloin w/ apricot glaze, dijon carrots and brown rice (286 calorie dinner) it was supper filling and no guilt :)

That's really great - so hard to cook when you're tired! Kudos for not ordering pizza!

Last week we had company & I managed to stay away from most of the goodies bought for them. Bagels. Sob.

Ran into the store today for whole wheat bread. Bakery specials on cookies and croissants. Sigh. Can't remember last time I ate a croissant. Left with only the wheat bread I went in for though there are probably shoe marks on their floor where I dragged myself away.

EagleRiverDee
03-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Well I sort of fell of the wagon on sweets and carbs, but have held true on not drinking alcohol. But I've been going crazy for chocolate lately. :( The past two days have been better- I'm eating much healthier than I was.

ichoose2believe
03-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Mountain Mamma- Good for you on staying away from the goodies. I love bagels. I have gotten the bagel thins that are 100 calories and just eat half of one with a little light cream cheese that way you had your treat but you didn't over do it. Maybe a mini croissant? I wouldn't be able to only because those would make me want to give in an eat everything in sight.

EagleRiverDee- :bravo: for eating better than before something is better than nothing.

Ross111104
04-16-2013, 07:43 PM
:dizzy: I am jump starting this one because it is so important for me to not be impulsive. My impulsivity with food is my demise. I need to refocus. Who's with me! :carrot: