100 lb. Club - i need to lose a whole person! WOW

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Hello,
im new this forum and i just wanted to say hey to everyone and let everyone know that we can do it!!!!! i need to lose 108 lbs to be a at a comfortable weight and with the support and help from people i love and new friends to come along i know that i can do it! its hard but well worth it!

i just started my journey... i need help to know where to start and what i can do to jump start my mind and get me though this process..

AHH im excited. :carrot:

elvislover324
02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
:welcome2:Welcome omgsasha!

Good luck with your weightloss mission, you can do this!!

As of this morning I am down your "person" or a couple of little people lol.

I try to think of it in 5-10lb increments, not of the whole 100 at a time.

I wish you lots of luck, I couldn't have done this without this forum.

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Thank you so much! and that is a great way to look at it (5-10lbs increments) cuz looking at the whole 3 digit number is kind of depressing! thanks for that advice! :) how long did it take you to loose ur "couple little people" haha and congrats on your progress! thats great! :hug: is there a specific plan you have?

elvislover324
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you, it's been an adventure! My weightloss has been since last summer so it's been fairly quick.

I am on a medically supervised diet since I had so much to lose and have a couple of health issues. I see a doctor/nurse/nutritionist every week as I am on a low-calorie diet. I am eating healthier than I ever have before, more energy and exercise than ever before, and lost more weight than ever before! I am also learning how to eat healthy food and I have cut out all of the junk except for the occasional treat. Eating right has cut all my cravings for bad food, it's so weird I can't even believe I am saying it!

Check out to see if your insurance will cover a couple of visits to see a nutritionist if you want to. It's the best thing I ever did and it changed my life.

You can do this. I am living proof. :)

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
i will def look into what my insurance can cover. and i cannot wait till i get to the point where you are in your progress! i notice that i can get a little moody right now since i cant eat what i want. but thanks for your advice! im excited :)

Babybat
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Welcome, you're not alone. I'm still in the 100lb club too.
I would say...weight loss is a mental game. You have to be patient and have faith things will work out eventually. Don't give up, it takes time and dedication. Just try eating right, and exercising... It's gotten me this far :hug:

2lbs a week is the average loss for most people.

Babybat
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU ELVISLOVER, congrats. I always see you around and you seem like an awesome person so I am very happy for you. You are truly amazing. And I have to agree...I look at it as 5-10lbs at a time. Or even less.

elvislover324
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
omgsasha, your body will adapt to your new style of eating. The first few weeks can be rough but make sure you drink plenty of water and eat a lot of fruit and veggies to stay full. I promise you it works. And log onto this website for all the support you need, whether it's reading or posting. There is so much helpful information here!

babybat, what a sweety you are! Thanks so much! *hugs!*

Garnet2727
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi there. I need to lose a person too and I'm a little over half way there. You can do this!

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome, you're not alone. I'm still in the 100lb club too.
I would say...weight loss is a mental game. You have to be patient and have faith things will work out eventually. Don't give up, it takes time and dedication. Just try eating right, and exercising... It's gotten me this far :hug:

2lbs a week is the average loss for most people.

thank you so much! its gonna be a struggle but i for the most part its def a mental game! last night i got kind of mad at my bf for eating pizza.. only cuz i couldnt have any! but i know it will get better as time goes by and i get more used to it! :)
i will try not to give up and keep going!
thanks for your words of advice and taking time to reply to my post :) very appreciated :hug:

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
omgsasha, your body will adapt to your new style of eating. The first few weeks can be rough but make sure you drink plenty of water and eat a lot of fruit and veggies to stay full. I promise you it works. And log onto this website for all the support you need, whether it's reading or posting. There is so much helpful information here!

babybat, what a sweety you are! Thanks so much! *hugs!*

THANKS! i have been drinking loads of water. cut out soda and juices and fast foods so i know that will be a great factor. and i love veggies and fruits! now i just have to do it all in the right order and quantity! and just called my insurance and they cover 60 visits to a nutritionist! WOOOP!:carrot:

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi there. I need to lose a person too and I'm a little over half way there. You can do this!

WE CAN DO THIS!! :) and congrats on your amazing progress! how long did it take for you to get there?

elvislover324
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
and just called my insurance and they cover 60 visits to a nutritionist! WOOOP!:carrot:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

CherryQuinn
02-11-2013, 02:04 PM
You can do it. I've lost a decent sized person and I got a child left to get off my body lol

bethFromDayton
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Welcome!

I would suggest finding one or two on-going conversation threads and making yourself at home there. For example, I read/post on the Beck forum and the 100 lb club's getting out of the 220s and 230s pretty much every day. The daily participation makes me feel more connected and more accountable.

You can be in as many threads as you want, obviously, but I know I find it useful to have the two that I am really a part of.

Do you have a diet plan (and even a backup) selected? If so, do investigate that forum for support.

If you are unfamiliar with dieting or find it hard to figure out how to resist temptation, you might want to try a few books that are full of advice and tips that are useful--once we're taught them! (I'm a big fan of The Beck Diet Solution How to Train your brain to think like a thin person, but there are lots of books out there that talk about habits and routines you can use to stick with your dieting plan.

If you're calorie counting (I am), I recommend investigating an app/website such as MyFitnessPal or LoseIt (and there are others--those are probably the two most popular ones on here, but they're not the only options). Somehow, recording my calories throughout the day really helps keep me on plan.

I'm 5 weeks in and down just over 8 pounds--and feeling good about it--and as if I'm on a path that I can be successful at.

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
You can do it. I've lost a decent sized person and I got a child left to get off my body lol

CONGRATS on your progress so far! :D
thats amazing! and good luck on the rest of your progress!
:carrot:

YAY

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Welcome!

I would suggest finding one or two on-going conversation threads and making yourself at home there. For example, I read/post on the Beck forum and the 100 lb club's getting out of the 220s and 230s pretty much every day. The daily participation makes me feel more connected and more accountable.

You can be in as many threads as you want, obviously, but I know I find it useful to have the two that I am really a part of.

Do you have a diet plan (and even a backup) selected? If so, do investigate that forum for support.

If you are unfamiliar with dieting or find it hard to figure out how to resist temptation, you might want to try a few books that are full of advice and tips that are useful--once we're taught them! (I'm a big fan of The Beck Diet Solution How to Train your brain to think like a thin person, but there are lots of books out there that talk about habits and routines you can use to stick with your dieting plan.

If you're calorie counting (I am), I recommend investigating an app/website such as MyFitnessPal or LoseIt (and there are others--those are probably the two most popular ones on here, but they're not the only options). Somehow, recording my calories throughout the day really helps keep me on plan.

I'm 5 weeks in and down just over 8 pounds--and feeling good about it--and as if I'm on a path that I can be successful at.

Hello!! :)
these are all great and helpful ideas! i will write them all down and see what i can come up with! so far ive been looking into apps and such to help me with calorie counting... (eek that sounds so yucky) haha but it was has to be done!! and 8lbs! THATS AWESOME! i need to find a diet plan that is for me. i still havent found one but im working out the kinks now. im starting to work out. its a pain in the rear end but i know i can do it. and as far as threads ill be looking for some too!
thanks again for taking time to reply to my post! :)

April Snow
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
welcome!

lots of good advice here so far, and I agree with all of it.

Personally, I break things down into manageable pieces - both in terms of looking at 5 lbs at a time (then I get to change my chickie avatar) and for time frames. I sign up for all kinds of challenges that go for a set amount of time, generally 4-8 weeks. I plan to be here a year from now, losing, maybe even maintaining. But that's too far to imagine right now. But when I signed back on in January, I could imagine making it through until Valentine's Day, and that was all I needed to do. Now I've got some challenges that take me to my next milestone in the beginning of April.

I also like the "decade" threads - there is one for the 260s-250s, and then the 240s, etc.

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
welcome!

lots of good advice here so far, and I agree with all of it.

Personally, I break things down into manageable pieces - both in terms of looking at 5 lbs at a time (then I get to change my chickie avatar) and for time frames. I sign up for all kinds of challenges that go for a set amount of time, generally 4-8 weeks. I plan to be here a year from now, losing, maybe even maintaining. But that's too far to imagine right now. But when I signed back on in January, I could imagine making it through until Valentine's Day, and that was all I needed to do. Now I've got some challenges that take me to my next milestone in the beginning of April.

I also like the "decade" threads - there is one for the 260s-250s, and then the 240s, etc.

HELLO! :)
thanks for taking time to reply!
yes i am seeing that having little weekly or monthly goals are alot easier than seeing it all as a sum! and i see myself in a year here as well.. or how ever long it takes me to melt this extra body off! haha but congrats on your progress so far! i cant wait to see where i will be in 2 weeks from now and hopefully i can tell you that ive lost some! :)
:hug:

SarahFairhope
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome! I started just about where you are starting and am looking at about the same goal weight. It seems like a huge task, but I echo the advice of breaking it up into mini goals.

It'll be effort but sooo worth it. WELCOME again!!

Vex
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I also recommend logging everything you eat as someone else mentioned on this thread. No matter what plan you follow, there's something mentally powerful about seeing what you're eating in black and white.

I calorie count and even though I know the calories in 99% of of the food I eat, I STILL log it.

I also recommend taking starting measurements and photos now and along the way.

While it seems far away now, a year will be gone before you know it.

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Welcome! I started just about where you are starting and am looking at about the same goal weight. It seems like a huge task, but I echo the advice of breaking it up into mini goals.

It'll be effort but sooo worth it. WELCOME again!!

thanks so much for a warm welcome! :)
im happy to know that it can be done! but ill breaking it up in mini goals and go from there! and congrats on your progress!

thanks for taking time to reply to my post!

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I also recommend logging everything you eat as someone else mentioned on this thread. No matter what plan you follow, there's something mentally powerful about seeing what you're eating in black and white.

I calorie count and even though I know the calories in 99% of of the food I eat, I STILL log it.

I also recommend taking starting measurements and photos now and along the way.

While it seems far away now, a year will be gone before you know it.

HELLO! :)
yes i found an app i can log my water intake and food intake and calorie intake and workout too! i just have to keep it up and i know that it will work out. ill take measurements tonight when i go to the gym.

thanks for taking time to reply to my post :)

Garnet2727
02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
WE CAN DO THIS!! :) and congrats on your amazing progress! how long did it take for you to get there?

Thanks! It's taken me a little over a year to get this far. The difference in my overall health is amazing.

bethFromDayton
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
One of the points Beck makes in The Beck Diet Solution is that you have to make dieting a priority--schedule time and resources for it--even if that means letting other things slip. So, I have a scheduled time for weekly meal planning and a scheduled time for primary grocery shopping.

I log every meal and every snack immediately (I use MyFitnessPal). I just do it. I don't think "I'll do it later"--I do it right then and there. (Actually, I try to do it the night before so that my eating is all planned out for the next day and I don't have to make any food choices--I just have to follow my plan.) It's a little rude to my dinner companions when we eat out, but I look up food before ordering and log it then--that also lets me decide how much of each item is a "portion" so I don't overdo it.

For home cooking, I use a lot of measuring cups and a food scale. The scale was $25 at Target--it's got a flat top which makes it easy to put down a piece of wax paper and place the food on it. Some calorie counters only weigh because measuring isn't as precise, but it is working for me right now.

DH tried MyFitnessPal but he didn't take time to log his lunches and then he would try and reconstruct it at dinner, but he didn't really know how many calories he had left for dinner, so he had a hard time and just stopped--and gained back 4 lbs really quickly.

There are lots of studies showing that dieters who log their food eat less and lose more weight than those who don't. It's harder to fool yourself when your phone has added up the numbers for you!

As for small goals, you can see that my next goal is "Lose 10 lbs". My last mini-goal was "Lose 5 lbs". As many here say "I may not be able to lose 100 lbs, but I can lose 5 lbs 20 times."

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 03:35 PM
bethfromdayton- i totally agree with counting calories! i just have to get into the swing of actually log everything! and i like the idea you have for planning ahead a day or 2 so i wont have to worry about last minute logging and such! thanks for the advice! i have decided that my first mini goal is to lose 5 lbs. :)
u are very helpful!!! thank you so much!
this is sord of off topic but i cant seem to find anywhere to put my ticker at in my signature. :( can you explain how to do this.
thanks again!

bethFromDayton
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
this is sord of off topic but i cant seem to find anywhere to put my ticker at in my signature. :( can you explain how to do this.
thanks again!

Tickers and sig files (and private messaging) are available after 20 days on the forum and some minimum number of "real" posts.

omgsasha
02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Tickers and sig files (and private messaging) are available after 20 days on the forum and some minimum number of "real" posts.

GOTCHA! thanks very much! :D

Elladorine
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
:wel3fc: :wave:

You can so totally do this. :) I'm working on losing my second person right now. ;)

Concentrate on making positive changes in order to improve your health and well-being rather than how fast you can lose xx pounds. This will be an enormous help for those times that you know you're doing everything right and the scale simply refuses to cooperate. :dizzy:

I'd also suggest finding a way to chart your progress. I use an app on my phone that visually represents my weight through charts, and it becomes a great reminder that even when I have a gain for the week, it's only a small blip on the radar since my overall trend is still going the right direction. I'm a slow loser, averaging only a one pound loss per week, but it certainly adds up over time! :goodscale

As many have said, tracking food is especially helpful; find what works best and is most comfortable for you, whether it be through an online site, a phone app, or simply writing it down. I've found the most success when I log my meals, and my food/fitness journal has become my most important tool in the past year. It keeps me both mindful and accountable for keeping up with good habits. :write:

Oh, and be sure to take lots of pictures! When you're having a bad day and can't see the positive changes in your body, you'll be glad to have the photos to compare. :mag:

I started a "reboot" back in March after dealing with a 25 pound regain, and made a commitment to myself that I'd keep trying, no matter what. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made; I haven't felt this good in years. :) It sounds like you've made a similar decision, do what you can to stick with it and move forward! This forum is a great place to ask questions, look for help, brag about your progress, or just plain vent when you need to.

Stick around! We're here for ya. :grouphug:

Tziri
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the forum! I definitely agree with beth about finding the on-going conversation threads. The "getting out of" threads are a lot of fun and kind of help you set short goals.

I will have lost a total of 150 lbs when I'm done (that's an entire healthy person at my height! yuck). I've lost about 88 so far. The first 30 were done with calorie/carb/sugar etc.. counting on MyFitnessPal and exercise (so basically healthy eating, smaller portions, and exercise). I really loved doing that and will probably go back to it in the future if I ever gain a little.
I ended up stalling for a really long time because of thyroid problems. I switched to a low calorie restrictive diet through my clinic, joined this website and couldn't be happier or healthier. All the weight lost from 294 on is from the new diet and I will actually hit my goal weight this year (haven't been below 300lbs since before high school so yay!)

Fit dad 2b
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM
That's great your insurance covers some nutritionist trips! I'd love to see a post about what you learn there.

I'm new as well and need to lose a whole person too...ugh. But this site is full of great people and lots of support.

lunarsongbird
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi!! Everyone gave you great advice, so I just wanted to say hello!
http://blawgirl.julieanneines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/funny-pictures-this-baby-panda-bids-you-hello.jpg

charliee
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
My insurance doesn't cover a nutritionist (dietician? which ever one is the medical doctor), but I really wanted to see one, so I asked my doctor about it and she gave me a referral to one in my clinic. It cost me $50, and I basically went over my whole history of eating and weight loss talked about my goals and had her create a meal plan for me. I had also recently had a blood test, so she went over those results and put things into my meal plan that would compensate for some deficiencies.

She wanted me to come back every few weeks, but I told her that it wasn't covered for me and I wouldn't be able to afford it. She suggested that I come back every few months or whenever I felt like I needed a change or something isn't working for me.

It's not the the same as having a weekly appointment but it did put me on the right track.

allieballiebee
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome! I think that the biggest key to significant weight loss is the right mindset, and it sounds like you've got it! Stay positive and know that with time and determination, it is totally possible.

I have lost 80 lbs so far (maybe a tween?), and am just a little over halfway to my goal. If I make it down to 135 (I may stop before I get there, depending on how where I'm comfortable), I will have lost 142 lbs.

You've already gotten some great advice. I'll add my $0.02. While it's important to stick with your plan, I also think it's equally important to allow yourself a little freedom now and then. Maybe a planned "free" meal once a week like I do, or letting yourself have a dessert or fancy drink on a special occasion. When you're working to lose a large amount of weight, it's going to take a while. It should take a while, if you're doing it in a healthy manner. Being 100% strict with yourself for such an incredibly long time is, in my opinion, a recipe for disaster. Not only do you burn out on the whole diet thing (which can lead to binges or a string of "free days"), but you don't really learn how to eat for Real Life. I think that the occasional indulgences help to prepare us for maintenance mode.

Anyway, that's this my opinion! :)

Daimere
02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Welcome! You can do this! <3

MablesGirl
02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome to 3FC! I love your enthusiasm. You have been given great advice. What I have finally learned are two things. 1 = don't compare yourself with others. She's losing faster than me, this girl's goal weight is lower than mine, etc. Be the best you and love yourself. 2= eating something high calorie is a blip on the radar, and not a reason to beat yourself up.
If I had BELIEVED these things 3 years ago when I joined at 242 pounds, I probably would have lost 33 pounds instead of gaining 33. I'm not saying it is this site's fault, at all. I've lost count of how many times I've pigged out all weekend because I was going to "start the big diet" or "start the lifestyle change" on Monday. I'm working on my head the most right now, if you can't tell!

omgsasha
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Elladorine- that is some great advice and ever since i read it i can honestly say that i know exactly what you mean by concentrating more on my well being than about how much weight i want to lose. it makes sense thank you very much! i have a bunch of apps im working with now on my phone and i can say for sure it helps LOADS! :) but thank you very much for all your kind words! i hope you get to your desired weight and congrats on your progress so far! sooooo awesome! :)

Tziri-wow i cant believe u have lost a whole person already! that is amazing!!!! congrats! and ive been going on threads and meeting new awesoem people like your self and im very grateful! thanks for your time on reading and replying to my post! i hope the best for you!!! :)

omgsasha
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Fit dad 2b- HELLO! :) and yes im lucky my insurance is good! everyone always says that when i go to doctors. but the nutritionist was very helpful! he put me on a low carb diet to begin with. he said just to cut out all the stuff you know is bad and add more water and vitamins and minerals to my day and work out for at least 30 mins a day every day or 1 hour a day 5 times a week! that is where im gonna suck but im gonna do it!!!! :) thanks for taking time to reply to my post :) i hope u get all the advice and motivation you need! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we all can! :)

lunarsongbird- HII :) lol thank you for your warm welcome!

charliee- Hello! my nutritionist told me to come back weekly. and he said if i can keep it up on my own that iw ould have to come back monthly but his instuctions were very easy.. almost too easy. lol it really opened my eyes and showed me that it really isnt gonna be that hard! i hope that you can get back to her and see your progress! :)

ChickieBoom
02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Welcome OMGSasha! I know that it can seem overwhelming in the beginning but this is what I tell myself everyday...

The time is going to FLY by whether or not I'm taking care of my health and body. Time flies regardless of what you're doing. I started in June 2012 and it's already February 2013. What if I had put off my lifestyle change for another day? I wouldn't be where I am today. Where do you want to be in 3 months or 6 months or in one year? The year is going to pass anyway so you might as well stick to your goals because you will be so glad that you did.

Good luck!

omgsasha
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
allieballiebee- "I think that the biggest key to significant weight loss is the right mindset" I couldn't agree more! im happy to know that i mind is in it to win it this time! and this might sound bizarre but dont judge me... i have been doing acupuncture and i feel like it has opened up a new side of me and i can see clearly and unfuzzed my mind of some of the negative thoughts in my head telling me i couldnt do it! i love it! i feel NEW :) and i totally agree with you on having a free meal day! i already added one for tomorrow cuz me and my boyfriends anniversary annnddd its valentines day so dinner i will indulge.... JUST A LITTLE ;) hehe but thanks so much for your wonderful advice! and congrats on your awesome progress! :)

Daimere- THANK YOU SO MUCH! :) <3 you can too!

volleyballsis- thanks for the welcome! :) and i hope all the advice given here is gonna help you too! i know how it feels to feel weak and like it cannot be done and its just to hard... i just want to let you know that once you get your mind right it will all fall into place! YOU CAN DO IT!!! and no1... not even your self can keep holding you back! :) and i totally know i still do that whole "omg she is losing faster than me" deal. but i know that everyone has thier own rate of doing things and im going to do mine! im beyond excited to continue this routine and hopefully it becomes a day to day life routine! :) i cant wait to see you start believing in yourself and getting things done! need any thing please dont hesitate to contact me! i love to share some thigns im doing and maybe you would like to try!

:)

sorry for all the late responses and smiley faces. computer at home is busted and app on my phone wont let me add a post :(

omgsasha
02-13-2013, 11:49 AM
ChickieBoom- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THAT! i love it and i feel that same way and i know that if i waited another day.. it would of turned into a week then into a month and i just would keep making excuses. but i have FINALLY decided that enough is enough! and i got to change before its too late and I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS TIME IS FOR REAL! :) i have such tremendous support from here and family and friends and my loving caring boyfriend and i feel great and better than ever! :) thank you again for those kind words and i cant wait to be like you in a couple months and telling people my story! and CONGRATS on your progress!its amazing!
YAY

betsy2013
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes, it's always kind of a shock to learn we need to lose a person. I started at 396 and realized that I need to lose two average sized adult women! But I can't imagine how much better I'll feel once even some of this weight is off let alone getting to goal. I can already tell a big difference in how I feel.

Welcome to the forum -- it's a great place to come for support, advice, and encouragement.

omgsasha
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
betsy2013- First off i want to say CONGRATS on your 28lbs lose so far! that is GREAT! :) and second i want to say thanks for taking time to reply to my post. i can say indeed its hard to know of the weight you have to lose and seeing it as a whole but since ive been on here and people helped me with awesome advice and using them to my advantage has really helped me! its great to know that you arent alone and other people like us need the help and encouragement to do it! thanks for your wecome and i cant wait to see even more progress from you.. and my self as well :) YAY!