Faith Based Support Groups - What are you doing for Lent?

View Full Version : What are you doing for Lent?

KittieKat
02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
For those you that follow Lent. Ash Wednesday is the week.

What are you planning to give up and/or do extra for Lent?

I am going to try and give up sweets for the exception of some fresh fruit and occasional dark chocolate. Sugar is such a huge addition problems for me, I'm hoping with thinking of it along with the suffering Jesus did for us I can finally be health about my sugar choices.

Ruze
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
In my religion, we have to partially abstain and fast for the whole of Lent. This means that I can have one full meal a day, plus two snacks that do not equal a full meal together. I can only have meat during the one full meal. I also will be avoiding chocolate, sweets, and any kind of junk at all. No meat at all on Fridays or Saturdays. Sundays are free days where the rules don't apply. :)

tyla
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
For Lent, I'm giving up sugary foods, unhealthy snacks and in between meals. Let's keep this thread going to motivate each other. There is always so much temptation around.

EagleRiverDee
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm giving up alcohol for lent.

tyla
02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Although this is really Fat Tuesday, I'm treating this day as the first day of Lent. I'm trying to make up for all my eating mistakes in the past.

allieballiebee
02-13-2013, 10:09 AM
I was going to post about this in my "usual" support group (100 lb club), but thought it might fit better here. :) Anyway, hello! I'm Allie.

Giving up something for Lent is certainly not required in my church (Presbyterian), but I've always felt called to do it anyway. I was pondering what I could possibly give up this year that would actually be a sacrifice. I've already grown accustomed to living with only occasional indulgences, so giving up alcohol/chocolate/desserts in general wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. So this year, I've decided to ADD something. More of a time/energy sacrifice. I recently started working out (mostly Zumba and a C25K program), but I'm terribly inconsistent. I'll latch onto ANY excuse not to go to the gym, and one lazy day usually leads to another....and another. Last week, for example, I worked on Monday and that was it.

So, for Lent this year, I will be working out EVERY DAY. This will be very difficult for me, but...well, that's the point! :)

tyla
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome, Allie! I think that's a perfect plan for Lent. Afterall, your body is your temple. God wants us to be healthy and to take care of ourselves. Post here when you exercise. That will give you motivation to keep going. All the best to you!

Yesterday I only ate 1366 cals, walked outside and on the treadmill and feel so much better. I ate more fruits and vegetables, and no processed foods. I'm giving up my previous pathetic eating habits. My goal is to be healthy for God and Our Lord, Jesus.

tyla
02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Following my goal of not eating unhealthy food and no in between snacking. This is a big deal for me!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, Everyone! :val1:

KittieKat
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Hope everyone is off to a good start with their Lent choices to give up.

Welcome Allie, Love what you said. Best wishes

I hope my small sacrifice compared to what Jesus had to do when he died on the cross for us brings me closer to want Gods has planned for me.

tyla
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
KittieKat, so glad to see you! Congrats to you for eating healthier.

I'm being strong, too. I know Jesus is giving me strength to eat less and make better choices. I think it's great that all of us are working together on changing our unhealthy eating habits. There's strength in numbers. :)

tyla
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Did great on Valentine's Day. I plan on being aware of my habits over the weekend, too. Happy Friday, Everyone!

KittieKat
02-15-2013, 11:48 PM
KittieKat, so glad to see you! Congrats to you for eating healthier.

I'm being strong, too. I know Jesus is giving me strength to eat less and make better choices. I think it's great that all of us are working together on changing our unhealthy eating habits. There's strength in numbers. :)

Thanks tyla

and you bet strength in number and with Jesus on our side we can do it. :carrot:

tyla
02-16-2013, 09:23 AM
KittyKat, Happy Weekend! Let's continue to stay strong together. :)

tyla
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Doing well for Lent. Not eating junk food or inbetween meal snacks.

tyla
02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
It's been a week already, and staying strong.

tyla
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Going out to lunch with friends. Plan on eating slowly and leaving something on my plate.

curvynotlumpy
02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm thrilled to see this thread! I hope you don't mind me joining. For Lent I gave up sweet treats. No cake, cookies, candy, pie, etc. I do have fruit every day and this is my dessert. So far so good but admittedly that there are moments where I struggle and fight mightily to overcome indulging. I have to remind myself that these are things I don't need, have never needed, to be healthy and survive and that they will be there waiting once Lent is over. I, too, like to redirect this energy into other things such as exercise, or completing long over-due tasks.

Good luck to everyone!

tyla
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Welcome, curvynotlumpy! So glad you could join us. I think it's so great that you are giving up sweets, and having fruit for dessert. I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

I did well yesterday at lunch. Ate slowly and left food on plate as planned.

Let's stay stong together. :hug:

Missy Krissy
02-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone, don't mind if I jump in!

For Lent I'm not giving up anything food related, but instead my best friend inspired me and I'm giving up cursing (truth be told I have a mouth that would make a sailor blush). I'm hoping that if I get used to not swearing then when Lent is over I'll be re-conditioned to not use those words to express myself.

tyla
02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Welcome, Miss Krissy! Wow, that's a great one!! Congrats to you and your friend for coming up with a creative idea, and becoming a better person. Kudos to you! :congrat: And great job with your weight loss! :cp:

It's almost 2 weeks already, and I see a healthy improvement in myself!

Let's keep it up! :dust:

curvynotlumpy
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome, curvynotlumpy! So glad you could join us. I think it's so great that you are giving up sweets, and having fruit for dessert. I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

Let's stay strong together. :hug:

Thanks for your warm welcome, Tyla! I didn't see Dr. Oz's show but I know from experience that sugar is in SO MANY things and in some of the least likely places for sure. Awhile ago I found a can of stewed tomatoes in my pantry and it contained high-fructose corn syrup. STEWED TOMATOES!! I'm the first to admit that I enjoy dessert and sweet treats, so I'm not at all getting on a soap box about the sugar free life; that's a personal choice that someone makes. However, there are just some things you don't suspect (at least for me) having any sugar in them, such as stewed tomatoes. Oy!

At any rate, so far so good. The biggest struggle has been the weekly Lenten soup suppers my church hosts on Wednesday evenings. Amongst my little group of friends I have become the dessert bringer. I probably should have given up my title but I enjoy baking and I enjoy contributing to the group. As long as I have my piece of fruit I'm good and even without it I'd still be fine and the beneficiary of good company and wonderful conversation.

tyla
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
curvynotlumpy, congratulations for being strong through this period. Kudos to you for not eating dessert, when you are the one that bakes it and brings it. That is pretty fantastic!! :cp: :bravo: I've been to meetings, where people eat dessert and I don't, but I don't have to bake it!!!!

By the way, I've been pretty disciplined, too. No inbetween meals and no sugary junk food. :)

Let's stay strong together. :hug: :dust:

curvynotlumpy
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Tyla, that's great :carrot: :carrot: So many of us are probably shaking our heads in agreement at your comment about in between meals eating. That's an easy trap to fall into. Has that been difficult for you, or do you find as the days move along it gets easier? I work on a university campus in a Student Affairs unit with lots of talented bakers and there is no shortage of snacky things hanging around :dizzy: Sometimes I feel like it's a food minefield!

Sounds like everyone is doing great! Let's keep it up!

tyla
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Curvynotlumpy, thanks for your comment about me giving up in between meal snacks. No, it's not easy. I have to distract myself costantly, with something else to do when I get the urge. Some of my tricks: take a break, make hot tea, put a sugar free mint in my mouth, post here and definitely get away from the food area. I try to do anything I can to resist. It's been about 16 days now. (I started this adventure a few days before Lent.) :cp:

Keep up the great work of resisting temptation! Let's keep strong together. :strong: :dust:

tyla
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I feel really great about giving up sugar. I've read more articles and heard on Dr. OZ how bad it is for you. Trying to eat more like the Mediterranean Way.

curvynotlumpy
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I feel really great about giving up sugar. I've read more articles and heard on Dr. OZ how bad it is for you. Trying to eat more like the Mediterranean Way.

That's so interesting! I heard a story very recently on NPR about the Mediterranean Way and its advantages. One of the interviewees made the comment that lots of people "think" they know what the Mediterranean Way is, but it's actually different than people's perceptions. Admittedly, I was listening to this as I was falling asleep for the night so I can't really tell you about the whole conversation :dizzy:

tyla
02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
curvynotlumpy, what I've heard about the Mediaterranean Way of eating is that you don't eat sugar or a lot of processed foods. The plan is to eat more chicken, fish, and occasionally, red meat - like a steak, not hamburger. You eat more fruits, vegetables and nuts. Also, you have olive oil - but I have to get used to that one. I still use butter spray or olive oil spray. (Probably not good.)

Congrats to you for doing so well. Keep up the good work. HooRay for all of us here! :woohoo:

KittieKat
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

Let's stay stong together. :hug:

I believe it about the Sugar Cut it out is the key

KittieKat
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi tyla, curvynotlumpy and Missy Krissy it's great to see you posting on this thread and good luck with all your Lent choices :)

EmLay
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I know I'm a few weeks late, but I hope you all don't mind if I jump in! All of your Lenten choices sound fantastic, especially the sugar cut out and the swearing (two of my biggest vices). This year I chose to opt for a fruit and vegetable fast for Lent (I am allowing a scoop of whey protein powder in my morning smoothie, for health reasons). Thus far, it has gone very well. It has really kicked my focus from what I am going to eat next over to more healthy and spiritual thoughts.

tyla
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi,Miss KittyKat! Good to see you here! :wave:

Welcome, EmLay! Love it that your focusing on healthy and spiritual thoughts! Great choices.

I'm inspired to see how many people here are trying to better themselves here. Great job, everyone!!

curvynotlumpy
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I know I'm a few weeks late, but I hope you all don't mind if I jump in! All of your Lenten choices sound fantastic, especially the sugar cut out and the swearing (two of my biggest vices). This year I chose to opt for a fruit and vegetable fast for Lent (I am allowing a scoop of whey protein powder in my morning smoothie, for health reasons). Thus far, it has gone very well. It has really kicked my focus from what I am going to eat next over to more healthy and spiritual thoughts.

EmLay, this is a wonderful Lenten choice! I'm going to have to keep this in mind for the future. I imagine that if I tried this I would be very hungry through this time, but hunger isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know that when I decided I was going to change my lifestyle (eating, food, and exercise habits), I was much more aware of true hunger and how I responded to it. In the past I don't think I ever gave myself the opportunity to be hungry because at the first sign of it I'd eat something to stop the feeling. And while I could go on forever, smothering hunger was a ginormous metaphor for other things in my life I was smothering. I think hunger has a way of redirecting and focusing us as well if we allow it. Again, this can be very positive.

Congratulations on your success so far and welcome!

curvynotlumpy
03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Yesterday, I attended a student appreciation luncheon hosted by our university for outstanding first year students. The lunch was very healthy (chicken breast, portobello mushroom, small piece of polenta and a green salad with dressing on the side. Everything was a reasonable person portion. HOWEVER, I spent the hour gazing at the beautifully arranged chocolate truffle, whipped cream topped, brownie dessert that sat directly in front of each guest.

I flirted and had a warm cuddly conversation with it in my head, but DID.NOT.TOUCH.IT!

It was incredibly difficult but I was proud of myself. I keep reminding myself, "there is nothing offered to you today, that you can't have tomorrow if you really want it".

Lovegrovemama
03-06-2013, 11:20 PM
I usually go all out and progressively fast until a full fast on Good Friday till Easter Sunday. But this year something strange happened...God's been working something out in me. I originally started fasting in January for a friend who has cancer, first only on Thursdays then to a Daniel fast. But during it I came across something about trying to strong arm The Lord, and began fasting for a closer relationship with God and His will in my friend's life. Then when Lent started I started out no meat, no sugar And no Facebook! But a few days in and I read Isaiah and He talked about not thinking about Him when I am fasting, and I was so convicted, because I realized I use fasting as a way to diet! And that wasn't what he wanted from me. So I am not fasting food this year, just FB. Course it's not a religious requirement for me, but I like to celebrate it anyway.

curvynotlumpy
03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I usually go all out and progressively fast until a full fast on Good Friday till Easter Sunday. But this year something strange happened...God's been working something out in me. I originally started fasting in January for a friend who has cancer, first only on Thursdays then to a Daniel fast. But during it I came across something about trying to strong arm The Lord, and began fasting for a closer relationship with God and His will in my friend's life. Then when Lent started I started out no meat, no sugar And no Facebook! But a few days in and I read Isaiah and He talked about not thinking about Him when I am fasting, and I was so convicted, because I realized I use fasting as a way to diet! And that wasn't what he wanted from me. So I am not fasting food this year, just FB. Course it's not a religious requirement for me, but I like to celebrate it anyway.

This is an excellent insight, Lovegrovemama! I have to admit that cutting out desserts and sweet treats has turned into more of a diet tactic than helping me turn my thoughts over to God. I may have to rethink this (or my attitude) for next Lent.

tyla
03-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Wasn't that exciting yesterday? Having a new Pope elected! Pope Francis seems so nice, so Christian. I have always admired St. Francis of Assisi, so I love his choice in names. I just feel so excited about what has happened and what is to come.

EagleRiverDee
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Wasn't that exciting yesterday? Having a new Pope elected! Pope Francis seems so nice, so Christian. I have always admired St. Francis of Assisi, so I love his choice in names. I just feel so excited about what has happened and what is to come.

I'm excited also. I hope he turns out to the the leader the Church needs right now. :)

tyla
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Happy Friday, Everyone! And Happy St. Patrick's Day on Sunday. :luck2you:

EmLay
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
EmLay, this is a wonderful Lenten choice! I'm going to have to keep this in mind for the future. I imagine that if I tried this I would be very hungry through this time, but hunger isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know that when I decided I was going to change my lifestyle (eating, food, and exercise habits), I was much more aware of true hunger and how I responded to it. In the past I don't think I ever gave myself the opportunity to be hungry because at the first sign of it I'd eat something to stop the feeling. And while I could go on forever, smothering hunger was a ginormous metaphor for other things in my life I was smothering. I think hunger has a way of redirecting and focusing us as well if we allow it. Again, this can be very positive.

Congratulations on your success so far and welcome!

Thank you for the warm welcome! Thus far, I have been very very hungry. All the time. But each hunger pain reminds me to center myself on the reason for the season, if you will.

I also have thought about the idea that sometimes Lenten fasts are used improperly, as a way to cut weight or what-have-you. I hope that everyone first focuses on the spiritual good that the fast is doing for you. For example, when I cook food for my fiance, and oh my heavens, does that cheese/steak/dessert look amazing, I think about the promise that I made, and it refocuses me.

Though, I don't see an issue if you gain other benefits from the Lenten observance as well. I, for one, have lost 17lbs and feel more amazing than I ever thought I would eating a plant-based diet. I am actually considering continuing with the whole-foods plant-based diet after Lent ends. I have more energy, have lost weight, my skin is glowing, and my digestive system has finally decided what is "regular" for me. Also, I watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives", and if you watch that and continue with the same view point on animal based products as before, then good for you. :dizzy:

curvynotlumpy
03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Jumping on the bandwagon regarding Pope Francis! Such a beautiful name. He will be in my prayers every day; what an enormous responsibility he has.

tyla
03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Just wanted to say, that watching "The Bible" TV series has helped remotivate me to stay strong. Plus, I've watched a tv program called "Super Brain," where Dr. Tanzi explains how very important it is for us to exercise and eat more of a Mediterranean type diet for our body and brain. (The Super Brain also comes in a book.)

tyla
03-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Just stopping by to say hope everyone's doing fine. Next week is Easter. :bunny2:

curvynotlumpy
03-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Hi back at ya' Tyla! :hug: It certainly will be Easter very soon. Looking forward to this holiest of weeks and greater time for reflection. Hope everyone is doing well--healthy and happy.