Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Feeling Protective Of Food?

This may sound/be crazy, but I have noticed that since I started trying to lose weight this year, and really watch every bite I take and every calorie I take in, I am protective over my food.

For example, my husband and kids get to eat chips, cake, cookies and whatever snacks they want. I very rarely partake in "their" snacks. However, I have on hand a few snack options for myself, like my box of Triscuit crackers and cheese slices to top them with.

I noticed someone ate "my" cheese and some of my crackers. I actually got angry about it. (Starting to feel Lord of the Ring-is! "My precious, my precious!) Hahahaha!

They know I only have certain things, and it just bothers me that knowing I have a few staples set aside to help curb any "cravings of mine" they would eat it and not even say anything.

I can't tell you how many times I have went in for MY YOGURT as they get regular and I get the light varieties, only to find out mine has all been eaten.

Am I wrong to feel a little upset and cheated that they eat all their snacks, and then take mine???
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

No, you're not wrong, in my opinion!

I feel that way and I don't really have to share food (my boyfriend doesn't like the same foods that I do, so he's never tempted)... If I have friends over or whatever and all I can offer them are my foods (not snacks that I got especially for them) I feel sad that I had to share...

But that feeling is the feeling that makes me overeat too. I want to change it.

I used to tell myself at the start of this journey that I didn't need to eat that slice of cake, because I could get that cake anytime I wanted. I need to do the same thing now, even if it's with healthy foods. The feeling is what drives me to overeat when I travel because I am NEVER going to get it again *roll eyes*.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #3  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

You don't sound crazy to me! I feel similarly. I'm a calorie counter and am a little bit anal about knowing the precise calorie content of what I'm eating, so I weigh everything for accuracy (so far it's been working well for me).

When I do weigh out some chips for myself or even a salad, and DH comes along and swipes a chip or tomato or whatever off my plate he gets a slap and a growl. "Hey, I weighed those out, get your own!"

It may be silly to some, but I really hate when anyone takes something off my pate without asking first. Not exactly the same thing as someone eating my "special" crackers or cheese, I know, but similar.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #4  

I don't think you are wrong at all!

I take my food very seriously (lol!!) and I can only have certain brands/requirements, so if someone should "take mine" I could be tempted to eat off my plan.

I would never not let someone at my home (whether my husband or anyone else) not have something they wanted but in my case it could be that my husband grabbed the cheese I get special for me vs. him being able to eat any cheese. It's an honest mistake but if he eats "mine", I am SOL!

I totally get it. Now go hide yourself something yummy and healthy for your weekend snacks!

Last edited by elvislover324; 02-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I agree, it's very normal to feel this way. You have a limited selection of food available, and if they eat that, then you have no food readily available and you have to cook something else or go shopping yet again. (my 8 year old is convinced that I love to grocery shop because I do it so often! )

I don't see anything wrong with designating an area in the fridge and a cabinet that is yours and it's hands off unless they get special permission from you. I try to do that in reverse too, and tell myself that the other stuff is not mine, so hands off for me then!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Yep, my husband doesn't even think about it. My MIL thinks my eating is whacko, so she doesn't bother. My 7 year old only eats a few things, but my teen?

I have to spell it out - THESE ARE MINE!!!!

But... since he likes "my" stuff, I now make him or buy him something similar. It's full of protein, so its' good for him.

But most things in the house are for everyone. We ONLY have plain yogurt and it's for everyone. The fruit is for everyone. The veggies is for everyone. The cheese sticks and eggs and such are for everyone. I just don't eat the the bread and carb heavy foods the rest of the family eats.

The ONLY foods that I have made off limit are my low carb protein bars as they are my "if I'm dying for a sweet." or "I have no time for anything else, I'll grab this protein bar". So, if my back up plan is GONE. That is B.A.D. Which is why my teen has been told HANDS OFF. But only on those.

Really, OP, if your kids prefer lighter yogurt. Get them unsweetened yogurt and add fresh fruit to it or thawed frozen fruit added in is yummy. They need a tiny bit of sweetness? Add a wee bit of honey. They get WAY less sugar that way and it weans them off the junk food.

Honestly, I think that there are separate foods (especially if there are lots of them) is a sign that maybe things are out of balance at home. if you can't eat what they are eating, then maybe they shouldn't be eating it either?

I say that with some huge caveats. i can't eat grains or sugars. The rest of my family has no problem with them, but most of our foods are the same.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Yep, my husband doesn't even think about it. My MIL thinks my eating is whacko, so she doesn't bother. My 7 year old only eats a few things, but my teen?

I have to spell it out - THESE ARE MINE!!!!

But... since he likes "my" stuff, I now make him or buy him something similar. It's full of protein, so its' good for him.

But most things in the house are for everyone. We ONLY have plain yogurt and it's for everyone. The fruit is for everyone. The veggies is for everyone. The cheese sticks and eggs and such are for everyone. I just don't eat the the bread and carb heavy foods the rest of the family eats.

The ONLY foods that I have made off limit are my low carb protein bars as they are my "if I'm dying for a sweet." or "I have no time for anything else, I'll grab this protein bar". So, if my back up plan is GONE. That is B.A.D. Which is why my teen has been told HANDS OFF. But only on those.

Really, OP, if your kids prefer lighter yogurt. Get them unsweetened yogurt and add fresh fruit to it or thawed frozen fruit added in is yummy. They need a tiny bit of sweetness? Add a wee bit of honey. They get WAY less sugar that way and it weans them off the junk food.

Honestly, I think that there are separate foods (especially if there are lots of them) is a sign that maybe things are out of balance at home. if you can't eat what they are eating, then maybe they shouldn't be eating it either?

I say that with some huge caveats. i can't eat grains or sugars. The rest of my family has no problem with them, but most of our foods are the same.
We eat the same meals with the one difference being I usually pass on the breads or any sides that are calorie heavy.

They actually don't prefer the light yogurt, but they go through all of theirs and then eat up mine. Because it is there and their's is gone! LOL!

My grumble is that they do snack very frequently and I don't. I have a few things on hand that are available for me when I do need/want a snack, but if they eat it, that leaves me wanting, and could seriously cause me to reach for something else and very likely over eat. I have worked so hard to get to this point (down 15.4 pounds since 1 January) and I don't want to undo all my hard work by falling off the wagon.

Just makes me a little sad that they can and do eat whatever and whenever they want, but I have made so many sacrifices (that I no longer miss) and the few things I afford myself get eaten by everyone else AFTER they have eaten all their stuff.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #8  
under construction

Height: 5'6

lol im glad to see im not the only one that gets over protective of their food

i feel entitled to my certain portion so when someone asks if they can have "some" of my meal ( i.e a half turkey sandwich a tangerine and a palmfull of cashews ) i get grouchy but i try not to show it because im embarassed of being a grinch about the sharing lol
modifyeddoll87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
We eat the same meals with the one difference being I usually pass on the breads or any sides that are calorie heavy.

They actually don't prefer the light yogurt, but they go through all of theirs and then eat up mine. Because it is there and their's is gone! LOL!

My grumble is that they do snack very frequently and I don't. I have a few things on hand that are available for me when I do need/want a snack, but if they eat it, that leaves me wanting, and could seriously cause me to reach for something else and very likely over eat. I have worked so hard to get to this point (down 15.4 pounds since 1 January) and I don't want to undo all my hard work by falling off the wagon.

Just makes me a little sad that they can and do eat whatever and whenever they want, but I have made so many sacrifices (that I no longer miss) and the few things I afford myself get eaten by everyone else AFTER they have eaten all their stuff.
Sounds like my teen.

Hide your stuff. Seriously, if you don't have it where they can see it, then they wont take it. Can't work for yogurt, but the plain yogurt trick would work for all of you anyway.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #10  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

If you are crazy then so am I. I actually purchased a very small refrigerator for my things. No one is allowed to touch it. LOL. It sounds even more crazy when I type it out. Yet, I really love my little fridge.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #11  

Whew! Thanks, y'all! I feel better knowing I'm not alone! Hahahaha!!

I will be doing the plain yogurt, by the way!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Absolutely!!! Especially when I was losing, every bit was precious, and, for whatever reason, whenever I would slice up an apple, everyone wanted some! I'd be happy to slice up ANOTHER apple, but forfeiting even 1/4 of my own was painful!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
Absolutely!!! Especially when I was losing, every bit was precious, and, for whatever reason, whenever I would slice up an apple, everyone wanted some! I'd be happy to slice up ANOTHER apple, but forfeiting even 1/4 of my own was painful!
Just wanted to say your avatar looks how I feel when my snacks get raided!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #14  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

I do the same thing. Last night we went out for sushi. We ordered 6 rolls to split amongst three of us (including my 8 year old). I had already determined I would have 2 full rolls and put it in my tracker app on my phone a good hour before we even left home. Well, my son started reaching for what I thought was one of my rolls and needless to say, I wasn't too happy. Right then I grabbed all my sushi pieces and put them on my personal plate. No more communal plates for me for awhile!
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #15  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm very protective, but I have toddlers and sharing is just a part of life.
But my husband? No way Jose! Lol
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote